Forum Settings
Forums

Why are some traditional/conservative people against abortion but pro death penalty?

New
Dec 11, 2016 8:43 AM

Dec 2014
Do you guys think that makes sense?
For what I know, they usually use the argument of being "pro-life", but isn't that a little ironic since they are pro the capital punishment or killing someone?

Discuss V
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Dec 11, 2016 8:45 AM

Mar 2014
Ah, yes, another abortion related thread, just what we needed.

BRB getting some julmust

OT: because most of them are bible thumping goodness wankers/neo Romanian communists
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 11, 2016 8:50 AM

Dec 2014
Comic_Sans said:

BRB getting some julmust

OT: because most of them are bible thumping goodness wankers/neo Romanian communists
It's more of "reflection" thread.
Still a little "parody" of this one
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1544980
Dec 11, 2016 8:50 AM

May 2014
Yeah because clearly they're the same thing...

Comparing the life of a fetus to that of a criminal makes zero sense unless the sole argument of the person is that they want all lives to exist. And I'm sure thats not everyones argument...
I've been here way too long...
Dec 11, 2016 8:51 AM

Aug 2013
It's not really ironic from their point of view. People that are for capital punishment believe that the convincted deserve it for their actions. Something unborn, on the other hand, has never performed any actions that they deserve to be punished for.
Dec 11, 2016 8:54 AM

Dec 2014
An "unborn" on the first stages doesn't have consciousness, having a child like that would be more problems for the society and economy
Dec 11, 2016 8:56 AM

Mar 2008
Not saying all are like this but I have seen many that just want to do it as a punishment for the girl's sexual behaviour.

I would say the greater contradiction is pro-life and right wing economics. It basically says once a life is born it's on it's own. No healthcare, no welfare, no state supported programs for children, nothing.
Dec 11, 2016 8:59 AM

Mar 2014
Frag- said:
Comic_Sans said:

BRB getting some julmust

It's more of "reflection" thread.
Still a little "parody" of this one
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1544980
That thread was pure cancer

Please don't remind me of that one
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 11, 2016 9:01 AM

Dec 2014
traed said:
Not saying all are like this but I have seen many that just want to do it as a punishment for the girl's sexual behaviour.

I would say the greater contradiction is pro-life and right wing economics. It basically says once a life is born it's on it's own. No healthcare, no welfare, no state supported programs for children, nothing.
Being right wing and pro life means a life is born on its own? What do you mean?
Dec 11, 2016 9:05 AM

Aug 2009
Frag- said:
For what I know, they usually use the argument of being "pro-life", but isn't that a little ironic since they are pro the capital punishment or killing someone?

Discuss V

Pro-life is the opposition to elective abortion being legal, not the opposition to all killings. Just like pro-choice is the support for legalized elective abortion being legal, not the support for all choices. Most pro-lifers will also point out that the person on death is guilty while baby in the womb is not guilty,so it is not hypocritical to support the death penalty while opposing elective abortion.
Dec 11, 2016 9:07 AM

Mar 2015
Comic_Sans said:

BRB getting some julmust

Because abortion is a serious topic that we must discuss
thumps bible

TheConquerer said:

Comparing the life of a fetus to that of a criminal makes zero sense unless the sole argument of the person is that they want all lives to exist. And I'm sure thats not everyones argument...

Of course they're the same thing, it's murder either way. That's why we need to legalise abortion.
Dec 11, 2016 9:08 AM

Aug 2013
Frag- said:
An "unborn" on the first stages doesn't have consciousness, having a child like that would be more problems for the society and economy

That's inconsequential in relation to this topic. Whether that "unborn" grows up to become Josef Mengele or Mother Theresa is irrelevant, because it would be highly arbitary to judge the fetus on its potential actions in life, and it's not a certainty that it will cause problems for the society and economy, lol. Even if it did, it doesn't suggest that conservatives' views on abortion and capital punishment are inconsistent and ironic either.
Dec 11, 2016 9:09 AM

Dec 2014
ezikialrage said:
Frag- said:

Discuss V

Pro-life is the opposition to elective abortion being legal, not the opposition to all killings. Just like pro-choice is the support for legalized elective abortion being legal, not the support for all choices. Most pro-lifers will also point out that the person on death is guilty while baby in the womb is not guilty,so it is not hypocritical to support the death penalty while opposing elective abortion.
Being pro-life means being pro-life, being for death penalty is controverted. That's why we have some "coherent" pro-life christian, that are against both abortion and death penalty, kinda makes more sense.
Dec 11, 2016 9:13 AM

Dec 2014
Moog said:
Frag- said:

That's inconsequential in relation to this topic. Whether that "unborn" grows up to become Josef Mengele or Mother Theresa is irrelevant, because it would be highly arbitary to judge the fetus on its potential actions in life, and it's not a certainty that it will cause problems for the society and economy, lol. Even if it did, it doesn't suggest that conservatives' views on abortion and capital punishment are inconsistent and ironic either.
That would be suffering for the parents and for the child per se. If you send it to an orphanage it would absorb more and more of your taxes.

Also, people who are against abortion and pro death penalty are usually the traditional ones, simple.
Dec 11, 2016 9:17 AM

Aug 2009
Frag- said:
ezikialrage said:

Being pro-life means being pro-life, being for death penalty is controverted. That's why we have some "coherent" pro-life christian, that are against both abortion and death penalty, kinda makes more sense.

The term pro-life has nothing to do with the opposition to the death penalty just like the term pro-choice has nothing to do with the support for all choices.

Notice that there is nothing in the definition of pro-life about the death penalty
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/pro-life?s=t
opposed to legalized abortion; right-to-life.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/right-to-life
pertaining to or advocating laws making abortion, especially abortion-on-demand, illegal; antiabortion:
Dec 11, 2016 9:20 AM

Apr 2013
To put it simply - conservatism is a political ideology that promotes/follows tradition.
Traditionally abortion has been illegal, while the death penalty has seen quite a bit of use.
As for why a person supports these individually is a far more complex discussion.
WHEN THE SEASON LINEUP IS ACTUALLY GOOD

Dec 11, 2016 9:23 AM

Dec 2014
ezikialrage said:
Frag- said:

The term pro-life has nothing to do with the opposition to the death penalty just like the term pro-choice has nothing to do with the support for all choices.

Notice that there is nothing in the definition of pro-life about the death penalty
pertaining to or advocating laws making abortion, especially abortion-on-demand, illegal; antiabortion:
I'm talking about people who say that every human has the right to live, which means eitheir being against abortion and death penalty.
So yeah, "right of life" may be more appropiated but you got it.
Dec 11, 2016 9:27 AM

Dec 2014
notraven said:
To put it simply - conservatism is a political ideology that promotes/follows tradition.
Traditionally abortion has been illegal, while the death penalty has seen quite a bit of use.
As for why a person supports these individually is a far more complex discussion.
That's why I said "some".
The thought of "against abortion and pro death penalty" is more common towards traditionals.
The thought of "pro abortion and against death penalty"' is more common towards progressists.
Dec 11, 2016 9:30 AM

Mar 2008
Frag- said:
traed said:

Being right wing and pro life means a life is born on its own? What do you mean?

If it is born to a poor family it's fucked. If it grows up poor it's fucked. If it winds up in an orphanage it's fucked.
Dec 11, 2016 9:31 AM

Dec 2014
razor39999 said:
traed said:

Yeah, this is a much better question. Most pro-lifers don't really consider the baby after birth (in a socio-economical sense)
Yeah, orphanage = More taxes and possibly suffering for that child.

Fuck morals, I mean, not that much.
Dec 11, 2016 9:33 AM

Dec 2014
traed said:
Frag- said:

If it is born to a poor family it's fucked. If it grows up poor it's fucked. If it winds up in an orphanage it's fucked.
Yeah, you're right. That's why we have a lot of communits thoughts fucking up with the economy with things that were not supposed to fuck up, like an unwanted pregnancy.
Not to mention; Orphanage = more taxes.
Dec 11, 2016 9:37 AM

Aug 2009
Frag- said:
ezikialrage said:

I'm talking about people who say that every human has the right to live, which means eitheir being against abortion and death penalty.

People who say every human has a right to live probably mean every innocent human has a right to live.
Dec 11, 2016 9:40 AM

May 2014
OneTrueEmiya said:

TheConquerer said:

Of course they're the same thing, it's murder either way. That's why we need to legalise abortion.

Have you ever considered that some people think its ok to murder a fetus and not a criminal or vice versa?
And thats even supposing they view the fetus as living
I've been here way too long...
Dec 11, 2016 9:40 AM

Mar 2011
I don't have alot of insight into the relationship between the two.

I only question the idea that some portion of conservatives may believe our system is broken but don't question that: if the system is broken, that applies to criminal justice--and if that is flawed, why would anyone trust that everyone convicted is actually guilty of what they're guilty of? So we may or may not accidentally incarcerate and possibly execute an innocent person.

I've even heard some people say that those people just fall through the cracks as if that means having those cracks are ok, and are supposed to be there.

The best I got though is people might believe in a "just-world"--atleast that is a theory that may help lead someone else to an answer.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Dec 11, 2016 9:46 AM

Dec 2014
ezikialrage said:
Frag- said:

People who say every human has a right to live probably mean every innocent human has a right to live.
Yes, and it doesn't mean a fetus has consciousness or something.
Dec 11, 2016 9:52 AM

Aug 2016
because they want people to die just not babies.
Dec 11, 2016 9:53 AM

Apr 2014
A large percentage of fertalised eggs don't survive anyway, stop equating everything to murdering a human.

What do you want the worlds smallest coffin to bury every egg cell?

Brb I'm wanking into a coffin. RIP sperm cells, you'll go onto a better place.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Dec 11, 2016 9:57 AM

Mar 2014
Dick_Dawkins said:
A large percentage of fertalised eggs don't survive anyway, stop equating everything to murdering a human.

I should begin burying my menstrual blood

RIP unfertilized eggs
Nico- said:
Dec 11, 2016 9:58 AM

Dec 2014
LoliDONG said:
because they want people to die just not babies.
Your post have been cheering MAL recently.
ty
Dec 11, 2016 10:00 AM

Dec 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Dick_Dawkins said:

RIP unfertilized eggs
Well, have listened that removing eggs could stop menstruation but giving some problems, like reducing the immunological system.
Dec 11, 2016 10:02 AM

Apr 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Dick_Dawkins said:

RIP unfertilized eggs
Graverobbers will be so dissapointed in you.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Dec 11, 2016 10:40 AM
Oct 2016
Criminals facing the death penalty and unborn babies the mother doesn't want are two very different things.
Dec 11, 2016 10:47 AM

Dec 2016
I'm not even sure if I want to answer anyone here, I'll just get unwillingly dragged deep into the discussion without escape..
these discussions/fights never looks pretty in the end
wtf
Dec 11, 2016 10:57 AM

Dec 2014
bodyslam said:
Criminals facing the death penalty and unborn babies the mother doesn't want are two very different things.
Yeah, but some people talk about the thing of the "right of life" as an excuse, why a criminal wouldn't have it like a fetus that doesn't have any consciousness?
Dec 11, 2016 10:59 AM

Nov 2014
bodyslam said:
Just this. For generic questions, generic answers.

OP;

Ad ogni uccello il proprio nido è bello.
Dec 11, 2016 11:15 AM

Dec 2014
Mokurin said:

OP;
Didn't watch everything, but it's more likely generic arguments.
Rather if you discuss about one but in a general way, not sending a video of 8 minutes with many arguments.
FragMentizedDec 11, 2016 11:18 AM
Dec 11, 2016 11:44 AM
Oct 2016
Frag- said:
bodyslam said:
Yeah, but some people talk about the thing of the "right of life" as an excuse, why a criminal wouldn't have it like a fetus that doesn't have any consciousness?

Honestly I'm pro-choice and I think some criminals just deserve to die. Traditional/conservative people might be stupid and hypocritical but they're still two very different things.
Dec 11, 2016 11:48 AM

Dec 2014
bodyslam said:
Frag- said:

Honestly I'm pro-choice and I think some criminals just deserve to die. Traditional/conservative people might be stupid and hypocritical but they're still two very different things.
By "pro-choice" you mean pro abortion?
Dec 11, 2016 11:55 AM
Oct 2016
Frag- said:
bodyslam said:

By "pro-choice" you mean pro abortion?

Of course. It's up to the woman to decide, not anyone else.
Dec 11, 2016 1:22 PM

Dec 2014
Lux_Lucis said:
Death penalty costs 4 times more than a lifetime of incarceration.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
Raising a kid costs 400x more than aborting it.
So yeah.

They love wasting money obviously.
Especially the poor. They love bigger debts.
Bigger number = better number (even if there's a Minus next to it).
Death penalty costs more than prison for life? Seriosly? o.O
Yeah, rasing a child is undeniably expensive.

Poor people love wasting money? What do you mean exactly?
Dec 11, 2016 1:39 PM

Nov 2014
Frag- said:
Mokurin said:

OP;
Rather if you discuss about one but in a general way, not sending a video of 8 minutes with many arguments.
obviously it's generic. As I said, for generic questions, generic answers.

I consider a completely waste of time discuss with a 2000's guy in an anime forum. But if you really want to do, I'll send you some questions and we can begin a discuss about it. Not here.

Dec 11, 2016 1:48 PM

Dec 2014
Mokurin said:
Frag- said:

I consider a completely waste of time discuss with a 2000's guy in an anime forum. But if you really want to do, I'll send you some questions and we can begin a discuss about it. Not here.
First; age are just numbers.
Second; The question is exactly on the OP.
Also, saying that a fetus doesn't have consciousness it fair enough, but not just that of course.
Dec 11, 2016 1:48 PM

May 2013
because they love you so much and that's why they have to kill you
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Dec 11, 2016 1:56 PM

Nov 2014
Frag- said:
Mokurin said:

Also, saying that a fetus doesn't have consciousness it fair enough, but not just that of course.
- Nope, age definitely isn't just numbers.
- the question on the op is irrelevant in many aspects. Just one between a lot that people change for their own likes for think what they want to think.

Dec 11, 2016 2:06 PM

Dec 2014
Mokurin said:
Frag- said:
- Nope, age definitely isn't just numbers.
- the question on the op is irrelevant in many aspects. Just one between a lot that people change for their own likes for think what they want to think.
- So what else would it be? Maturity ≠ Age.
- The main topic isn't really that, it's more about "reflection".
Also since:
The thought of "against abortion and pro death penalty" is more common towards traditionals.
The thought of "pro abortion and against death penalty"' is more common towards progressists.
Dec 11, 2016 2:44 PM

Aug 2013
"Cuz people who work at abortion clinics are criminals who kill innocent babies. All criminals need to die in order to keep out world clean."
Pro-life person*shoots up abortion clinic*
You just can't make this shit up xD

Tl;dr
They lack logical reasoning.
Dec 11, 2016 2:47 PM

Feb 2015
Because it's faster to kill than to give birth.

You can kill someone within a second, while giving birth takes months and months of shit, in short, they gather kill old cancer and wait for the new cancer to be born, and kill later on.
Dec 11, 2016 3:18 PM

Jun 2015
The quick answer would be the party systems. Everything's grouped up in a sort of silly way honestly, and there's that "you're either with us or against us" mentality. It's not a religious thing, since we aren't supposed to pass judgement or whatever.

Dec 11, 2016 3:50 PM

Apr 2015
Frag- said:

Discuss V

Growing up in a household with this mindset, these are the basic reasons that we are told.
Unborn children/Fetuses don't have a choice to sin. At the most, they are a moderate-to-severe inconvenience caused by adults making mistakes and not properly planning for such an event.
People on death row for mass murder or rape made the choice to commit a vile sin that has significantly damaged the mental wellbeing, or terminated the life, of others. They have already done damage to society, and should be removed for doing so.

While I don't agree with all the extremities of the mindset, the concept seems relatively sound.
And then if you want to add the Christian religion into it:

Save the lives of Children because we can make Children turn into people that will raise the tally of people that are on God/Jesus' side. Kill the murders before they kill people that haven't made a choice to serve God/Jesus yet.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova

More topics from this board

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

37 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

308 by Lightskynight »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - 2 hours ago

5 by Lightskynight »»
7 minutes ago

» What if Burger is on a stick?

Dragevard - Feb 10, 2022

13 by kusairo »»
11 minutes ago

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

21 by IpreferEcchi »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.