Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Nov 29, 2016 10:02 PM

Jul 2013
omg...i hope victor's dog is okay
Nov 30, 2016 4:10 AM
Dec 2009
I love how this show handles competitions. We get to see so much of what the other athletes are doing and yet nothing is dragged out. It's cool to see a bit of each skater's personality and makes every episode interesting! Since each skate is fairly short, figure skating might actually be better made for anime than basketball/soccer/other long sports XD
Nov 30, 2016 7:19 AM

Jun 2007
i actually love seeing yuuri's eros over and over again
see you, space cowperson . . .
Nov 30, 2016 6:09 PM

Jun 2013
Surprised that the ratings for this episode arent great when this was one of the best so far in my opinion.
Dec 1, 2016 11:17 AM
May 2014
Haleth said:
mpdissonance said:
JJ's arrogant af, not a fan.

Yurio's acting like a fifteen year old would act in that situation, but I'm glad we finally got to see a non angry/angsty human side to him with his grandpa.

Really disappointed with how they didn't follow up with Yuri/Viktor's relationship in this episode, but I guess the focal point of the series has always been the skating so it's understandable.

Also, anyone find it odd that if Viktor and Yuri are really developing a relationship to the point that they're quasi-kissing at public events there's no public outcry from Viktor's homeland, which is notoriously homophobic? Might be something too dark for the tone they're trying to strike in this anime and take away from the focus on the skating, but it would be an interesting angle that they've thus far ignored.

Yet more of the everlasting, overdone Tragic/Sad Queer trope? No thank you. Instead we have two queer main characters in a happy fulfilling same-sex relationship (no problematic yaoi/BL relationship) that is evolving beautifully, which is really, really, really, really rare.

For me, Yuuri being Mr. Jealous and then being inspired to skate a "Big Fuck You to Russia He's Mine", followed by Viktor putting on Yuuri's skates and then later kissing his skate was = HI WE'RE TOTALLY MARRIED PARTNERS NOW
We finish up with Yuuri having the strength to tell Viktor to go off and do what's necessary is yet another sign of growth in their relationship. Again: showing the evolution of their relationship as, yes, a romantic couple. Remember that Mitsurō Kubo has said she wanted a normalized and healthy relationship and she's delivering. Too often same-sex and other queer couples are reduced to sex and their orientation, so it's refreshing that it's not done here. It's a character-driven sports anime that features a slow-burn incidental but undeniable queer romance. Incidental means it won't be the main focus; YOI isn't a yaoi/BL or a het rom-com). But the romance is very much there and growing and we will continue to see it gradually evolve.

Fair enough. I agree that this is more a character-driven sports anime than a romance thing, and it shouldn't get too angsty with focus on their orientation. I'm also loving an normalized LGBT relationship that isn't fujo-bait, like you. I definitely don't think homophobic Russia should be the main focus at all, but it seems like a side-plot that would realistically be an issue and would be worth at least acknowledging.
Dec 3, 2016 8:30 AM

Jul 2013
I hope Makkachin is okay! Yuri's performance was amazing!
Dec 3, 2016 11:34 AM
Mar 2015
MasterHavik said:
Outside of a couple of weird animation choices. It was pretty fun. Also I'm so happy to be caught up finally. This show is pretty cool. Granted they have been reusing some footage and the crowd shots are just stills.

I noticed that too, which was the only low point on that episode imho.
Dec 3, 2016 11:35 AM
Mar 2015
SakurasouBusters said:
Surprised that the ratings for this episode arent great when this was one of the best so far in my opinion.

I agree. It was a really good episode.
Dec 5, 2016 8:08 PM

Mar 2012
Based JJ making Canada proud.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Dec 6, 2016 5:49 AM

Nov 2015
JJ was awesome! Glad he made the 1st place, well deserved.
Good episode with some great choreographies.

4/5
Dec 8, 2016 5:21 AM

Sep 2014
I always get surprised how Yuri always scores over 100 , while others , who I think didn't skate worse than him , end up around 90. But JJ was magnificent.

Might have missed something but how Christopher is guaranteed into final ? He was even below Phichit and Yuri in China. And if you say that he competed in two cups so he has enough pts , but I think those 2 qualified aren't the only ones with 2 cups.

EDIT : I guess I understood ..

Hoping dog is okay. Doggos are more important !
Dec 13, 2016 4:04 PM
Jul 2016
Didn't even know this show had a dog in it until this episode.
Dec 14, 2016 5:11 AM

Nov 2010
Orionite_ said:
I always get surprised how Yuri always scores over 100 , while others , who I think didn't skate worse than him , end up around 90. But JJ was magnificent.

Might have missed something but how Christopher is guaranteed into final ? He was even below Phichit and Yuri in China. And if you say that he competed in two cups so he has enough pts , but I think those 2 qualified aren't the only ones with 2 cups.

EDIT : I guess I understood ..

Hoping dog is okay. Doggos are more important !

This is bit late, but in terms of Yuuri getting high scores compared to others- he usually has very high presentation score, even if he doesn't do technically that well. Viktor also stated as reason that he wanted to coach Yuuri: his body moves in time with the music and it's captivating.
Dec 21, 2016 9:16 AM

Sep 2013
Yuuri is such a queen here. I love how confident and demanding he's become. He knows his place in Victor's eyes and he's not afraid of showing it to Russia and the entire world. Oh how far we've come compared to episode 1!

I also like how supportive both Victor and Yuuri are to Yurio. Had it been Yuuri in the past, I'm sure he would be too focused on himself to even consider cheering for others.

It's funny how Yurio rushes off to skate a program on unconditional love with the face of someone about to commit murder. Poor boy. XD

Get well soon, Makkachin!! :'(
Dec 22, 2016 8:46 AM

Jul 2014
I just knew something was going to happen to that dog and something really did. Ugh. Stop killing all the fluffies. T_T </3

Also as usual (though I might am biased), another great job by Mamoru Miyano as JJ. lol always love it when I pick out his voice in any show. He never disappoints.

(Oh and I love that the audience threw sushi pillows/plushies after Yuri's performance. LOL)
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 28, 2016 8:30 PM

Jan 2013
Wow 113 is a world record.
Good episode, impressive animation and original song.
Jan 4, 2017 1:43 AM
Mar 2012
New chars, fun multicultural aspects. Lee calculating while mamboing, Czech Siscon armored knight, Canadian King JJ with great song dat smile & dance. Animation seemed better than previous competition. Hilarious Yurio moments, lady like tsundere. Save Macchin's drool.
gophercgJan 4, 2017 1:47 AM
Jan 8, 2017 7:41 PM

Apr 2016
Yurio jumped on his grandfather!!! WHAT A CUTIE!! :D LOL, he has a stone face to his fans at the airport, yet he's such a good grandson. ^^ Hehe...poor Grandpa had a crack in his back :P

But LOL at Yurio's expression when Victor pointed "Hey, i'ts Yurio!" XD But poor coffee.... :(

LOL!! Yuri!! I felt so bad for him!! Unlike the Cup of China, he had no friends in Russia! XD And the elevator doors opened to reveal a fight... OMG. </3 But damn, I like Seung Gil's attitude - he rejected Sala with a simple "No" in English :P DAMN!! Seung Gil's "Do I get any benefit out of being friendly with you?" OMG </3 I love that Seung Gil still had the audacity to ask, "Could you step aside?"

LOL to the awkward elevator atmosphere between Yuri and Yurio... xDD

Too bad Minako couldn't go to Russia...and lol at Yuko yelling at her three kids to sleep when they wanted to watch the skating competition live! :P

Hmm...Seung Gil wants to "approach this season with a different masculine sex appeal than before"? :c I gotta admit, I like his outfit! Minako summarizes Seung Gil's performance so well: "His face is expressionless, but his steps are out of this world."

LOL!! OMG. Mamoru's voice at Jean-Jacques <33 What an annoyingly lovable character!! XD

Poor Emil was ignored by Mickey and Sala... :P But wow...Mickey has such an intense love for his sister! Sala is right about Mickey learning to skate without her around... :c

AH!! Yuri was so cool when he pulled Victor's tie and said he'd show Russia his love!! XD
I like that attitude, Yuri!! Intimidate the audience before they intimidate you!! :D
Did the audience throw pillows or something..?? I see sushi, a bun... :P

OMG!! I love that O_____O look and the mouths open from Victor and Yuri!! They knew immediately that this was Yurio's true agape!!! <33 And then when Victor and Yuri looked at each other with "Nice!/Good!" --> adorable!! x))

I love the enthusiasm from Victor when Yuri beat his personal best record again! His smile never gets old <33 LOL at Yurio's reaction when "Overcome with happiness, Nikiforov kissed Katsuki's skate!" xD And Yurio's anger when Yuri and Victor cheered for him, haha :P

LOL!! Jean-Jacques, he effortlessly made Yurio upset!! XD But Yurio does look cute with cat ears... :P Funny that he didn't take those off...The ex couple really kept their distance too. "Oh, ladies first" was uncalled for. <3

LOL!! "It's JJ style!" There's so much pride and confidence, I love it!! Mamoru was the perfect CV for this character!! :P LOL at JJ, he even kissed the ice! This felt like a little concert - I would have sang along too! XD

Oh no...hope Maccahin gets better soon... >< And right...I almost forgot, Yuri mentioned in the first episode that his family dog died, so it made sense for him to tell Victor to go back to Japan... :( - WOW! Victor really is an unpredictable character!! Telling his own coach to be Yuri's coach??! Wow.
Jan 14, 2017 10:18 PM

Oct 2012
Love the one-sided brother/sister love.
JJ was amazing in that love to hate way.
Yuri skated perfectly.
Steaming Yurio was fun to watch too. If grandpa shows up in the final skate he might be unbeatable.
Jan 25, 2017 6:30 AM

Mar 2015
Whew JJ is quite the adversary! Also I hope the dog will be okay :(
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 22, 2017 4:18 AM

Dec 2015
What a farce the lyrics of the canadian guy were. The contrast with his dance moves was strong.
The dancing characters seemed better drawn than previously (despite the 3D¨) May this be the same later.

5/5

Yuri having to stand on its own next time should be promising, but the eps being only the 9th, I guess it won't work out in some way. But I hope he'll be "fixed" at the end of the series.
Mar 9, 2017 11:26 PM

Sep 2016
Victor sure knows how to shift the subject in an interview, lol.

Maccachin, no~~

A side note, Sara looked quite gorgeous in the skating costume.
Mar 10, 2017 3:14 PM

May 2010
I didn't recognize Miyano's voice until Engrish xD What's up with him voicing co many crazy people recently? Lolz.

Other then that it was pretty meh, pretty much nothing new happened until the very end. New choreographies weren't that entertaining either, not that I even care for guys I've seen for 3 minutes on screen :v
Mar 19, 2017 8:13 AM

Jan 2013
Okabe (JJ) on ICE! (Steins;Gate)
Good luck Yuri being on your own again :/
Mar 21, 2017 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
Nice to see the Russian Edgefairy again. Always a pleasure to see him, since his screentime in the last few eps went down significantly....

JJ seems to be quite a.... character.

Poor pupper.
Apr 7, 2017 8:05 PM

May 2013
Lol NANNNNNIIIIIIIIIII???!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!! ;OOO
Jan 12, 2019 6:31 PM

Oct 2013
Very entertaining episode, full of various and well animated performances.

That ending, though.. :( I hope everything's gonna be alright with Makkachi.
Feb 27, 2019 4:44 AM

Aug 2017
I fell in love with JJ's ass. More JJ please :D

Yurio was amazing in the episode.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 14, 2020 1:14 AM

Mar 2019
Yurio and JJ performances were amazing. I hope the dog is okay!
Aug 7, 2020 6:33 PM
Aug 2020
"IT'S JJ STYLE" lmaoooo i kinda hate him already
Oct 22, 2020 7:45 AM

Jun 2020
Omfg when Yurio hugged his grandfather that was so precious. Too cute!!!!! Sometimes I forget he’s only 15.

And lmfao @ Victor being soooooo extra & kissing Yuuri’s skate looooool. Also loved the sushi plushies that the audience threw into the rink for him & he actually picked them up LMAO

Yurio’s expressions are priceless, they never fail to crack me up x)

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Feb 23, 2021 11:01 AM

Nov 2016
Lol, I love the triplets and Minako watching the stream xD Also really enjoyed the siscon guy.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 21, 2021 8:48 PM

Mar 2010
lmao what a brocon. I feel icky about them. Flashbacks of Sala was weird. Yuri has a awesome performance as always. lol yuris cat plushies. Wow I really liked miyanos dance. He def a top ranker. lmao at the dog...
Aug 3, 2021 8:18 AM
Sep 2018
JJ make a really good performance. And Yuri always on top...
Nov 22, 2023 11:14 AM

Mar 2018
seugn gil's shirt was cool af. sara is cute af and how is yuris granddad so rugged and stereotypical and hes this little femboy who does that leg raise stretch
hello hello
Mar 16, 3:51 PM
Jan 2023
This show is so good.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» A petition was made to save the movie

Old_School_Akira - Apr 23

12 by kihel »»
44 minutes ago

» Movie got cancelled ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 18

55 by BishopBriggs »»
Yesterday, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

474 by yourlocalworm »»
Apr 19, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2016

205 by ZolaZodiac »»
Mar 20, 5:57 PM

Poll: » Do you prefer Eros or Agape?

painiwakura - Feb 24

3 by ShinyChu »»
Mar 16, 8:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.