Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Would Death note have the same hype effect as Code Geass if sequel is announced?

New
Dec 5, 2016 8:38 PM

Jul 2014
Well the title says it.
what do you think? why and why not?

Might have Code Geass and Death Note spoiler
If you haven't finished the two show, read at your own risk.
GensanDec 5, 2016 9:29 PM
Dec 5, 2016 8:43 PM

Jun 2014
No, that'd just be dumb. I'd rather see an adapation of the Death Note Near chapter that features him solving a new case. Could be a good one episode.
Dec 5, 2016 8:44 PM

Jul 2014
Kagami said:
No, that'd just be dumb. I'd rather see an adapation of the Death Note Near chapter that features him solving a new case. Could be a good one episode.
idk, maybe a new battle in after world or something.
just the idea of bringing wit battle between the two back.
Dec 5, 2016 8:48 PM

Jun 2014
Gensan said:
Kagami said:
How would they do it though? Seems hard to pull off logically.
Dec 5, 2016 8:51 PM

Nov 2014
It's strange that people seem to insistent and excited about shows getting new seasons all the time, even if the ending was satisfying. A good ending is a good ending, why want more?
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 5, 2016 8:52 PM

Jul 2014
Kagami said:
Gensan said:
How would they do it though? Seems hard to pull off logically.
Hmm haven't thought about that tbh...
Let's see
Like a reincarnation in shikigami world?
stuff happens
Light plots something and shit
whatever can make it happens :P
Dec 5, 2016 8:54 PM

Jul 2014
BurningSpirit said:
It's strange that people seem to insistent and excited about shows getting new seasons all the time, even if the ending was satisfying. A good ending is a good ending, why want more?
Code geass has GOOD ending. and now the sequel
I'm asking here is whether if it will have the same hype effect if death note pulls the same thing.
Dec 5, 2016 8:57 PM

Jul 2016
It won't have the same effect because people have been debating over the years if lelouch was dead and now this new season is coming out which will explain everything. In Death Note we already saw L and Light die. Unless they do something like Light being in the shinigami realm, but that's probably not likely going to happen.
SterpsDec 5, 2016 9:00 PM
Dec 5, 2016 9:01 PM

Apr 2016
Resurrection of Light and L? If something like this were to happen, I'd like to see L as the 'villain'. Setting could be Shinigami world or maybe even in their past, where they had a 'battle of wits' without knowing the other's identity (online or in disguise).

Also, isn't the title of this thread sort of a spoiler?
Dec 5, 2016 9:04 PM

Jul 2014
Sterps said:
It won't have the same effect because people have been debating over the years if lelouch was dead and now this new season is coming out which will explain everything. In Death Note we already saw L and Light die. Unless they do something like Light being in the shinigami realm, but that's probably not likely going to happen.
While it doesn't have the death debate, but maybe the "who's better?" debate.

SolitaryGray said:
Resurrection of Light and L? If something like this were to happen, I'd like to see L as the 'villain'. Setting could be Shinigami world or maybe even in their past, where they had a 'battle of wits' without knowing the other's identity (online or in disguise).

ah, i just realize it
will fix it

Salokannel2 said:
SolitaryGray said:

Yeah I was just about to comment the same thing, feels like the thread title is a major spoiler

Edit:nvm op said he is gonna fix it
fixed it.

Dec 5, 2016 9:04 PM

Sep 2015
SolitaryGray said:

Yeah I was just about to comment the same thing, feels like the thread title is a major spoiler

Edit:nvm op said he is gonna fix it
Dec 5, 2016 9:10 PM

Sep 2015
But yeah I bet it would definitely raise a lot of opinions seeing how Death Note ended. Would it have the same kind of hype recieve? Eh, probably not as big since CG had a flawless ending that probably no-one would want to change. According to me B)
Dec 5, 2016 9:11 PM

Jul 2016
Gensan said:
Sterps said:

SolitaryGray said:

ah, i just realize it
will fix it

I think I heard somewhere before that the author said that L is the smartest in Death Note. But what I meant by using the debate over lelouch's death is that it has more hype surrounding it. Since Death Note already has many live action adaptions and etc, it's already been done to death. I prefer Death Note slightly over Code Geass tbh, but If they announced a Death Note sequel, I'd probably be more hyped for the Code Geass sequel due to me wanting to know if something happened to the peace that made lelouch come back and if he died or not.
Dec 5, 2016 9:33 PM

Jul 2014
Sterps said:
Gensan said:

ah, i just realize it
will fix it

I think I heard somewhere before that the author said that L is the smartest in Death Note. But what I meant by using the debate over lelouch's death is that it has more hype surrounding it. Since Death Note already has many live action adaptions and etc, it's already been done to death. I prefer Death Note slightly over Code Geass tbh, but If they announced a Death Note sequel, I'd probably be more hyped for the Code Geass sequel due to me wanting to know if something happened to the peace that made lelouch come back and if he died or not.
Well, even in code geass, the author, producer team outright clearing that lelouch is dead, and it was planned from the start.
Still people debating over it, Because some possibility for theory exist.
In death note too.
In manga, there's a chart of character status with Light Yagami as highest intelligent point among all characters.
But in interview, Author said himself that L is smarter because the series require him to be so, so there's that too.
Dec 5, 2016 9:35 PM

Oct 2016
Kagami said:

The code geass one is just as dumb lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2016 9:40 PM

Aug 2015
I don't think so.. First of all the 2 main MC are dead.. Are they planning to revive them both? Or are they planning to make them the next Shinigami?..

As for CG, I just hope they don't ruin that perfect ending they did on S2..
Dec 5, 2016 9:46 PM

Jul 2014
IndexXx said:
I don't think so.. First of all the 2 main MC are dead.. Are they planning to revive them both? Or are they planning to make them the next Shinigami?..

well the point is whatver make it possible.
Yes pulling them back would be impossible in Death Note lore but yea, maybe Shinigami world or something
the re-battle of the two.
Dec 5, 2016 9:55 PM

Aug 2013
U guys never heard about this?

EDITED:
And also, there are this as well..
iwansquallDec 5, 2016 10:03 PM
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Dec 5, 2016 9:58 PM

May 2014
No.
Code Geass should have never got another season its just a dumb way to milk CG more, the ending was perfect.
Dec 5, 2016 9:58 PM

Oct 2014
Dear CG, the second seasons ending was loved because of the sacrifice.

So WHY RUIN THAT WITH A 3RD SEASON?
Dec 5, 2016 11:28 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
DN is a manga adaptation, unlike CG which was an original anime. So unless the original mangaka of DN wrote the sequel himself, I wouldn't put my expectations as high on that
Dec 5, 2016 11:40 PM

Dec 2009
Probably not ... Light is dead so... Unless- no ... what would they do? Make up the same story? It's a done masterpiece. Leave it alone.
Dec 5, 2016 11:49 PM

Oct 2014
Death Note: Laying Corpse

The sequel where absolutely nothing happens since the protagonist is dead and redoing the story with new characters wouldn't be much fun either.
Dec 5, 2016 11:56 PM

Sep 2015
yes it would have the same effect since people tend to eat up shit like this
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Dec 6, 2016 12:01 AM

Jan 2015
Gensan said:
Sterps said:

Well, even in code geass, the author, producer team outright clearing that lelouch is dead, and it was planned from the start.
Still people debating over it, Because some possibility for theory exist.
In death note too.
In manga, there's a chart of character status with Light Yagami as highest intelligent point among all characters.
But in interview, Author said himself that L is smarter because the series require him to be so, so there's that too.

The writer of Code Geass said that he BELIEVED Lelouch was dead. Although he writes the main script, the director has the power to change, and he's the one who dictates who's dead or alive, even the writer acknowledged that.

The director on an interview said that he wouldn't tell if Lelouch was dead or alive, nor would he tell what he believed. Said it was up to the viewers imagination if Lelouch was alive or not.

AFAIK it was the same director of the original two who did the interview on nov. 27 about the new Code Geass, meaning he'll direct the third one, so it wouldn't be a misinformation if Lelouch was actually dead.

About Death Note, the official guidebook says L intelligence is 10/10, while Light has 9/10, although he has maximum creativity, acting, mental strength and social skills.

Answering the thread question: No.
Dec 6, 2016 12:33 AM

Jul 2014
Don't know about the hype, but the last part of DN was already terrible, no need to prolong the agony.
Dec 6, 2016 12:47 AM

Nov 2015
[size = 120]NO, ABSOLUTELY NO. [/size]

Death Note had already left the viewers with a sour ending that no matter what happens in the sequel, viewers wouldn't really get to like it as much as Code Geass because of it's redeeming qualities.
Dec 6, 2016 1:12 AM

Jun 2016
There are so many other series that leave on cliffhanger endings that really need at least a second season.

Code Geass, in my opinion, is not one of them. It leaves off on an open ending and while I'm generally not a fan of open endings, the one is code geass was amazing and it tied up pretty much everything else so well I was fine with having the one question I ask myself at the end be "is Lelouch still alive or not?"

Announcing a sequel years after a series has received a clear ending is very off-putting for me, and Death Note wraps up a lot like Code Geass where all the loose ends get solved at the end; the only thing that comes to mind is the theory that Light becomes a shinigami at the end and that theory doesn't really warrant another season in my opinion.

Looking at Death Note though, if it were to receive a sequel the hype effect would actually probably be about equivalent seeing as how both series actually had an ending and have been finished for years now. There would be lots of mixed opinions everywhere; as fans of the series are potentially excited to see a continuation of one of their favorite series, but are afraid the continuation of a series that originally had an ending. Especially because good endings in my opinion are so hard to come by in anime that was a series does an actual decent job at an ending it feels very detrimental when the company says "just kidding guys, we're announcing a sequel; it's not actually over." So now you have to hope that the NEW ending at least equals the original and you have to hope that ANOTHER sequel doesn't get announced later on.

That all being said I'll be watching season 3 of Code Geass, and if I'm not satisfied with the ending I'll probably just immaturely pretend season 3 doesn't exist and go on believing the season 2 ending is the canon ending.

Dec 6, 2016 3:03 AM

Oct 2014
Pasva said:
Bourmegar said:
Dear CG, the second seasons ending was loved because of the sacrifice.

So WHY RUIN THAT WITH A 3RD SEASON?

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Well title is revival of lelouch which mean they confirm he's dead (you're not reviving a living guy right?)
They might bring him back while not destroying the r2 ending.

Ressurection always Destroys the moment when the character dies because the impact of death will be gone.
Dec 6, 2016 7:16 AM

Apr 2015
Sterps said:

Basically this. If not for the debate of Code Geass' ending, alot of people wouldn't be as hyped for it.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Dec 6, 2016 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
Are you out of your mind or what, why and how?? Light and L fighting in heaven over who gets to fuck Ryuk? Lmao

Anyway no it won't have hte same effect, dn already had an established ending unlike cg(I mean debatable). Rather I would like to see that New York L case written by Nisioisin.
Dec 6, 2016 7:26 AM
Dec 6, 2016 7:37 AM

Oct 2014
there is a death note manga sequel and novel sequel only no one cares about it
also the new code geass is being more controversial thn hyped for most
Dec 6, 2016 9:47 AM
Apr 2014
How would that even work? Would they resurrect the dead characters or something?
Dec 6, 2016 9:51 AM

Aug 2014
Gholy said:
How would that even work? Would they resurrect the dead characters or something?

A Life Note maybe? lol
I agree with you, resurrecting characters for sequels is a bad idea.
-----------------

OT: The thing is Code Geass gets an exception because the ending is debatable and the opposite theory is very strong.

Personally I'm not optimistic about any sequel of my favorites, chances are high that after these years they will mess it up.
When a series has wide audience, then what the staff team can do is limited.
Dec 6, 2016 12:42 PM
Dec 6, 2016 3:03 PM

Jan 2015
Pasva said:
thiagopv said:

About Death Note, the official guidebook says L intelligence is 10/10, while Light has 9/10, although he has maximum creativity, acting, mental strength and social skills.
Source please?

Bourmegar said:

Ressurection always Destroys the moment when the character dies because the impact of death will be gone.
Maybe he will be dead again in the end of r3.

Forgot to include it. Source is "Death Note 13 - How to read"
Dec 6, 2016 5:51 PM

Feb 2016
thiagopv said:
Pasva said:
Source please?

Maybe he will be dead again in the end of r3.

Forgot to include it. Source is "Death Note 13 - How to read"

I like that a lot :D He also really needs that source since it applies to both of his quotes

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 18, 2016 3:21 PM
Oct 2015
Couldn't you pull off something decent on the premise that while Light did become a shinigami he can not intervene in the human world directly but only via human proxies to whom he borrows his death note and that as he did not take the eye deal himself, he can neither grant it to others nor has the shinigami's normal ability of seeying all human names?

More topics from this board

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

68 by Absurdo_N »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

916 by SnipersKgrooWife »»
Apr 16, 12:52 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

393 by decco6226 »»
Apr 13, 8:10 PM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

27 by egosumjohn »»
Apr 10, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

127 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.