Forum Settings
Forums

'Kekkai Sensen' Gets Second Season for 2017

New
Nov 29, 2016 8:05 AM

Nov 2011
The January 2017 issue of Jump SQ magazine, which goes on sale on December 2, has revealed that Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront) will be getting a second season. Titled Kekkai Sensen & BEYOND, it is slated for 2017. The director of the second season will be Shigehito Takayanagi (Dagashi Kashi) while Yasuko Kamo (Tokyo ESP) will be in charge of the script. The cast members and the rest of the staff will reprise their roles.

The first season aired for a total of 12 episodes between April and October 2015. The series adapts the manga drawn by Yasuhiro Nightow. There have been ten volumes published between January 2009 and February 2015. A sequel series began publishing in July 2015 titled Kekkai Sensen: Back 2 Back.

Source: Otakomu

News submitted by edge13

Kekkai Sensen & BEYOND on MAL
Stark700Dec 4, 2016 12:07 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 29, 2016 8:06 AM

Nov 2011
I hope this will air for Spring 2017. Been missing this show since last year. I hope the new director can do justice with the sequel.
Nov 29, 2016 8:10 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Not hyped at all with the change of director and scriptwriter.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 29, 2016 8:13 AM

Aug 2014
FUCK YEA-
>Director : Shigehito Takayanagi

I'm sorry but who? WHERE THE FUCK IS MY RIE MATSUMOTO!?
Nov 29, 2016 8:15 AM
Oct 2015
It has no plot,shitty characters,unclear story,but still one of my favorites.I like him because music etc.Also it remains unique dunno why,i would like to see a new season.
Nov 29, 2016 8:16 AM

May 2012
Bad news. THe 1st season was so overrated and boring
Nov 29, 2016 8:17 AM

Sep 2013
I wonder if the director and script writer got fired because he took too long for the first season.
Nov 29, 2016 8:19 AM

Jul 2007
YEESSS this will be gr-.....

The director of the second season will be Shigehito Takayanagi (Dagashi Kashi) while Yasuko Kamo (Tokyo ESP) will be in charge of the script.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

This director is bad, horribly bad. His best equals "barely mediocre" and it is nowhere near the level of talent of Matsumoto Rie. Hell the majority of appeal of Kekkai Sensen was just how damn well Rie was directing it.

To replace her with the dude who did such "masterpieces" as The World God Only Knows and Tokyo ESP is MINDBOGGLINGLY STRANGE.

The writer is also horribly bad too because they wrote absolutely NOTHING of note and what they wrote was mediocre.

This will be worse than Garo Crimson Moon, Berserk 2016 and ufoubw put together :[

Bones why you do this? YOu had such a great streak of nearly perfect shows(baring boku hero but then again that was shonen manga adaptation). This is one of your BEST SELLING franchises and you give it THIS STAFF??? Why?!?!?
AhenshihaelNov 29, 2016 8:33 AM
Nov 29, 2016 8:28 AM

Jan 2014
HYPE, SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW <3

Nov 29, 2016 8:30 AM

May 2012
Can't say I'm looking forward to it with the changes in staff, but still a little hyped for a 2nd season

Nov 29, 2016 8:31 AM

Aug 2014
I'm beyond livid right now, I mean, they did really get rid of the person that made this show special in the first place? Fucking ridiculous.
Hopefully it's like what @VanishingKira said and Matsumo was simply just busy working on another show...I seriously doubt it though.

At least they still got Taisei Iwasaki, so the music will be on point. (say what you want about the show, the Kekkai Sensen OST is god-tier)
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/11/29/blood-blockade-battlefront-tv-anime-to-return-in-2017-with-big-staff-changes
KashKetchumNov 29, 2016 9:12 AM
Nov 29, 2016 8:32 AM

Apr 2014
Fuck it looks like those atheist was right all along, god doesn't exist, a Kekkai Sensen without Rie Matsumoto? What the fuck?!
Nov 29, 2016 8:39 AM
Aug 2013
Kryptiq said:
FUCK YEA-
>Director : Shigehito Takayanagi

I'm sorry but who? WHERE THE FUCK IS MY RIE MATSUMOTO!?

SAME!!!!!! WHERE THE FUCK IS MY RIE MATSUMOTO!??!?!?!?!?!?
HAVE been waiting for her next work for one and half year and I get this???????????
Nov 29, 2016 8:40 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Denkii said:
I will miss Matsumoto Rie's direction. I hope the new director delivers. *crossing all my fingers* Also, I hope this will be a BONES adaptation?? :<
Yeah, the rest doesnt change, its really just the director and scriptwriter who changes
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 29, 2016 8:41 AM

Mar 2013
Well how about that...

But no Mary, so I crie ;_;
Nov 29, 2016 8:44 AM
Aug 2016
Holy shit! Why are people making a big fuss over the new director and screenwriter? Director Shigehito Takayanagi not only worked on Dagashi Kashi, but the Trigun anime adaptation as well.(by same mangaka) if you guys bothered to clicked on his name. This might actually end up being a reboot, which would be sooo much better than a season 2. XD
Nov 29, 2016 8:54 AM

Jul 2007
Meh_Meh_2 said:
Holy shit! Why are people making a big fuss over the new director and screenwriter? Director Shigehito Takayanagi not only worked on Dagashi Kashi, but the Trigun anime adaptation as well.(by same mangaka) if you guys bothered to clicked on his name. This might actually end up being a reboot, which would be sooo much better than a season 2. XD

Dagashi Kashi was awful directing-wise. It was okay for "short comedy skits" nonsense but the show was still stale as hell.
He also worked on The World God Only Knows which also looked like an ass.
And Tokyo ESP which, guessed it, looked like complete ass.

He worked on few Trigun episodes, but that is literally themost positive thing he has on his resume. THe rest is absolute ass. Its hard to think of another director this bad that quick. Itagaki? Tsutomu Misuzhima(when he tries to be serious)? MIura? I am really drawing blank at worse possibilities beyond that.

The new writer is also no better. The only way this could be worse is if this was written by Mari Okada.

Matsumoto Rie on other hand was complete goddess of directing. Her work is huge reason why Kekkai Sensen was such a masterpiece as it had truly creative cinematography, interesting and unique transition sequences and great choreography. And it all gelled just well with perfect soundtrack.
AhenshihaelNov 29, 2016 9:07 AM
Nov 29, 2016 9:09 AM

Nov 2016
Awesome! I hope it will be as good as the first season. But I'm afraid I'll be disappointed since I hold season 1 in very high regards...
Nov 29, 2016 9:12 AM
Aug 2016
It is an ok series but i just never got into it...still this is not suprising..not with those sales that it had..average 16k which is really high.

The era of Bones no longer producing sequels to their shows seems no longer around.
Nov 29, 2016 9:22 AM

Jun 2014
Tokyo ESP director and scriptwriter? I liked the first season but this has me worried about whether or not I'll like the second season.

At the very least I'll hope for another awesome opening from Bump of Chicken.
thebrentinator24Nov 29, 2016 11:52 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 29, 2016 9:27 AM

Dec 2015
thepath said:
Bad news. THe 1st season was so overrated and boring

This is just hilarious
How exactly is a bit over 7.70 "overrated"?
Its not a high score nor its a low one, but DEFINITELY not overrated.
Stop using buzzwords for no reason
Sep 2015
Which dumbass got rid of the previous director? and why? If the anime did so well why get rid of her was it b/c of the episode delays?

Okay so how bad is this new director? Y'all exaggerating or wht

Mar 2012
Why the change of Director and Script Writer?
This is gonna be a letdown.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Nov 29, 2016 9:30 AM

Dec 2013
Well that is pretty disgusting.
Definitely avoiding this.
Nov 29, 2016 9:32 AM
Sep 2015
Hibbington said:

over director change? rly man.
Nov 29, 2016 9:32 AM

Feb 2015
DoremiZeta said:
Why the change of Director and Script Writer?
This is gonna be a letdown.

Bit dissapointed with the change of director and everything but I think as long as they keep to the source material it should be good.
The other staff stays the same so I think as long as the voice actor give their best like the first and the art stays the same I think it'll still be enjoyable.
Nov 29, 2016 9:34 AM

Dec 2013
WhiteFlamee said:
Hibbington said:

Oh no, I have the show as an 1/10.
The show even getting a 2nd season is disgusting to me.
Nov 29, 2016 9:38 AM

Jun 2015
Erm. Those staff changes are not promising.
Nov 29, 2016 9:52 AM

Apr 2014
Heck yeah! Now I just need the volumes 8 & 9 of the manga!
Damn it Dark Horse Comics! Do something about the last 3 volumes!
Haters always gonna hate.
Nov 29, 2016 9:52 AM

Oct 2015
nooo---not the staff change----- DX why?? Tokyo ESP is barely fine, and I don't want this getting the same "treatment" but still, who am I to judge---probably, hopefully they will deliver

well... I'm happy enough this series get S2.. :/ guess I'll just have to accept it..
Nov 29, 2016 9:57 AM
Jul 2018
I'm skeptical about this by a ton, and these are my reasons:

The good thing: We're getting a second season which opens up newer content towards the series and well a friend of mine is hoping they'll pretty much handle the series further, as he's a manga reader.

The bad thing or the more worried thing: The director and script writer change is pretty awkward but at the same time skeptical. The problem is that the previous season from the series brought a lot of things and made the series something worth while and special in its own way, sure it might not have been the best out there for the year, but it was something worth while and watching throughout the time.

The director is known for pretty much making shows as Dagashi Kashi and TWGOK, and the positives and negatives are pretty much that for me I think TWGOK was good enough around, and well Dagashi Kashi was pretty alright...

Probably the biggest prob was that Dagashi Kashi was already not that good from the start honestly, I enjoyed it but it wasn't THAT great honestly.

Then you have the script writer which I really honestly don't know, but from what I remembered Tokyo ESP as a anime was already butchered by the script writer, as it switched arcs from different orders and apparently I was told that it also skipped material, so this isn't a good sign in retrospect. But at the same time though, he has some episodes of Hajime no Ippo and that series and as far as I've seen from the series, those episodes listed were pretty good.

So in other words this might be a 50-50 chance for me, and well I DO hope that the series becomes as good as the first if it doesn't reach the full potential of the future stuff at hand. But I doubt that would be the case, it will probably be a let down or a disappointment if anything but well, knowing a bit it wouldn't really be as bad as I think it would be a positive side as well towards some bits here, so who knows.

Though I am going to miss the previous directing style of the first season because that series was great on its own for being unique because of it, just my thoughts here. Who knows really.

By the way, my 50-50 chances are just I can go positively or just negatively, I'm just staying in the middle portion for this one. Pretty sure I'm better off being in this rather than selecting a side for now.
Nov 29, 2016 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
Hibbington said:
WhiteFlamee said:

Oh no, I have the show as an 1/10.
The show even getting a 2nd season is disgusting to me.

The problem is that by the staff you're just giving the score already. That kinda is a bit too much honestly.

That's like me going to Berserk 2016 2nd season and once it was set I'll give it a 2. .-.
Nov 29, 2016 10:01 AM

Aug 2016
Damn, the staff change is big.
Still tho, more Kekkai Sensen? Sign me the HELL UP. I love this series, planning the get the manga for Christmas.
Nov 29, 2016 10:02 AM

Feb 2011
Well, I'm hyped... but skeptical as well. I hope the new staff can do this series justice, because I freaking loved the first season.

Fingers crossed.
Nov 29, 2016 10:03 AM

Dec 2013
@SymphoniacTippy

I think your reading what I've been saying wrong. I gave the first season a 1/10.
Nov 29, 2016 10:04 AM
Jul 2018
WhiteFlamee said:
Which dumbass got rid of the previous director? and why? If the anime did so well why get rid of her was it b/c of the episode delays?

As far as I am concerned he's not THAT bad, he's actually a hit or miss in my honest opinion.

The PROBLEM though is the script writer which he previously worked with Dagashi Kashi (which isn't a problem but here's the real problem) and Tokyo ESP (which was by far the most disappointing show I've seen from the entire year 2014, even hearing my friend saying that the manga was butchered ticked me off). That's MOSTLY the problem around honestly, at least for me.

Not to mention that it will probably not bring the same feel as the first season due to the directing as well with the details, it was unique in its own way and because of this we won't have that sense of uniqueness that the show brought.
Nov 29, 2016 10:04 AM
Jul 2018
Hibbington said:
@SymphoniacTippy

I think your reading what I've been saying wrong. I gave the first season a 1/10.

OHHH, Forgive me then. Lmao.
Nov 29, 2016 10:08 AM

Nov 2007
Did season one end? Was there any final episode? I lost interest in the anime nevertheless so I will gladly skip this one.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 29, 2016 10:12 AM
Sep 2015
SymphoniacTippy said:
WhiteFlamee said:

As far as I am concerned he's not THAT bad, he's actually a hit or miss in my honest opinion.

The PROBLEM though is the script writer which he previously worked with Dagashi Kashi (which isn't a problem but here's the real problem) and Tokyo ESP (which was by far the most disappointing show I've seen from the entire year 2014, even hearing my friend saying that the manga was butchered ticked me off). That's MOSTLY the problem around honestly, at least for me.

Not to mention that it will probably not bring the same feel as the first season due to the directing as well with the details, it was unique in its own way and because of this we won't have that sense of uniqueness that the show brought.

i dont think its a big problem cuz they will prob use kekkai sensen b2b manga as the main source prob
Nov 29, 2016 10:13 AM

Jul 2007
WhiteFlamee said:

The common theory is that the director herself decided to split over the script writer change.

They would not fire a director of the show that sold this much.

Alas now there's a big chance I won't even touch this second season as it is bound to suck.
Nov 29, 2016 10:14 AM

May 2012
shanimebib said:
Did season one end? Was there any final episode? I lost interest in the anime nevertheless so I will gladly skip this one.

Yep lol Final episode came like... 3 or 4 months later.

Nov 29, 2016 10:15 AM

Jul 2013
I was excited when I read this, but seeing they changed the staff who made the first season (who was one of the things who made the first season that good), I'm a bit worried. Especially since Dagashi Kashi was meh.

Oh, well, as long as they give screentime to Femt, I'm fine.
Nov 29, 2016 10:16 AM

Apr 2015
Meh, not that interested considering the first season is so over-praised while still being mediocre.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 29, 2016 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
Fai said:
WhiteFlamee said:

The common theory is that the director herself decided to split over the script writer change.

Alas now there's a big chance I won't even touch this second season as it is bound to suck.

Can you explain about that theory further so I can get a bit to that? If you don't mind explaining abit of that. Just curious.
Nov 29, 2016 10:17 AM

Jul 2014
Pretty interesting news, but I'll have to lower my expectations after how the first season ended and with these changes in staff.

Still pretty excited though.
Nov 29, 2016 10:19 AM

Apr 2014
Fai said:
WhiteFlamee said:

I think this is just a.matter of some cocky production comittee thinking that "It's a success not because the director" and just decide to change it for whatever reason they have.

It would be hillaruous if this become a flop exactly because the director change, that would teach them a pretty good life lesson.
Nov 29, 2016 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
WhiteFlamee said:
SymphoniacTippy said:

i dont think its a big problem cuz they will prob use kekkai sensen b2b manga as the main source prob

They will probably just do that while I wouldn't mind honestly.
Nov 29, 2016 10:21 AM
Sep 2015
Fai said:
WhiteFlamee said:

ur jumping to conclusions.

bones isnt stupid to let their biggest title in a while to go down the drain. bones isnt in a postion to be cocky since the company isnt doing well financially.
Nov 29, 2016 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
tr1ckst3r said:
Fai said:

I think this is just a.matter of some cocky production comittee thinking that "It's a success not because the director" and just decide to change it for whatever reason they have.

It would be hillaruous if this become a flop exactly because the director change, that would teach them a pretty good life lesson.

Well... except for few examples in the anime industry I mean, some series did that and ya know what? it can go on.

If you mean staff members, I dunno... most of them would either continue to do the same thing or just proves that they aren't a mistake or something.

Hey at least it's not Katsuhiko Takayama at least (aka Mr. Trainwreck of all Trainwrecks and I dislike him at most, except for Ef: Tales of Memories and Ange Vierge, which Vierge was average but it was probably better off that way)
Nov 29, 2016 10:41 AM
Jul 2014
I'll still watch it, but my expectations are a lot lower now with no Rie Matsumoto.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

15 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 1:39 AM

» 'Fruits Basket' Creator Launches New Manga

Hyperion_PS - Sep 2, 2023

20 by KeyboardBunny »»
Apr 14, 8:04 AM

» 'Kijin Gentoushou' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 22

6 by JackAward »»
Apr 13, 1:07 PM

» Voice Actress Mutsumi Tamura Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Apr 1

15 by CrackedYolk »»
Apr 12, 10:50 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

23 by infanf »»
Apr 12, 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.