Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Oct 29, 2016 8:51 AM

Jun 2013
I'm guessing she died in the end? Humanity was meant to die out?
臭い-
Oct 29, 2016 9:20 AM

May 2013
I liked it. It was out of the blue, pretty simple told, and for everyone to understand. THe music itself was fine. The voice part, personally, wasn't so great, but gladly it wasn't that long. The animations were great, the characters basically non existent though.

But that's all i can really add here, besides i already wrote a long review for this, so if you want to read more, check that out.
Read my most recent reviews!

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”

— Ging Freecss
Oct 29, 2016 10:29 AM
Aug 2014
Bibimbapski said:
I'm guessing she died in the end? Humanity was meant to die out?

Someone on the first page of this thread wrote something interesting about it:

Naulii said:

Here is one theory from reddit, too.

'Soooo, on the last few frames, we see Rin in the ship.

Pay attention to the UI in the background, you can a trajectory.

I though about it, and the direction of the trajectory doesn't make much sense : it comes from outside the system, toward the star. It doesn't look like an aimless trajectory, and I think the ship is landing soon.

Since we know the ship has been sailing for 2539 days or about 7 years. How about we look at the nearby stars within 7 light years. Alpha Centauri an Luhman 16 are candidates, as they both have known planets (and maybe more)

So yeah, her father had a degree in VR, space engineering and life support :)'

Written by https://www.reddit.com/user/reblochon

But i guess in the end yes she will die alone in space, either on her VR spacecraft or alone on a potentially inhabitable planet
Oct 29, 2016 12:03 PM

Mar 2015
Shelter really isnt that good. Like the animation is pretty amazing especially for A1 pictures but everything else was, well kinda dull. The "story" (if you can call it one its really just an interpretation) was just meh. It really wasnt very moving and it didnt make me feel sad one bit (Im not heartless, ive watched shows that have made me feel emotional ever to the point of bringing me to cry). The song was very mediocre especially for EDM. I know im not the only one here but i have a feelig that the majority of the so called Porter Robinsons fans didnt even know who he was before this video. i Listened to a few of his songs afterwards to see what he sounds like without Madeon and I disliked every second of it. On the other hand, I actually knew who Madeon is and ive been to one of his live shows a while back but as a fan of his i can say that this song is very bad even for him. To be honest I think that this is one of those moments like attack on titan where there is a giant hype train about it dispite it being very mediocre at best. Heck as someone who analyses most things in the animation I watch i can say that this had way less material to analyse than a video such as ME!ME!ME! but heck, thats just my preference i guess.

TL;DR shelter is very mediocre and doesn't deserve the hype that all y'all are giving it.
Oct 29, 2016 5:49 PM

May 2015
Superman's backstory + GITS/Matrix/SAO + victimised cute girl + mediocre music

I was surprised by the twist at the end but other than that this has the same empty appeal of Madoka Magica, cute little girls suffering begging for tears that I don't care to shed.

A-1 Pictures delivers again a low score :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2016 9:03 PM
Apr 2014
but like....why couldn't he make more room on the ship for him
c'mon man
COME ON ლ(ٱ٥ٱლ)
Oct 29, 2016 9:07 PM

Apr 2016
I found it great. Had it been longer, I might not have enjoyed it as much, but it's perfect for what it is.

At the risk of overthinking it, though, I, too, am curious about the disaster that befalls Earth. It shouldn't have taken that long. It kind of reminded me of the end of The Fifth Element when...
Oct 30, 2016 9:20 AM

Feb 2015
Music was not up to my taste, story was sweet and sad, but nothing special.
I didn't hear about Porter Robinson before, but since so many people like his music, time to check it out. Hope the other songs are better.

Oct 30, 2016 12:19 PM
Oct 2016
Victorian-Doll said:
Music was not up to my taste, story was sweet and sad, but nothing special.
I didn't hear about Porter Robinson before, but since so many people like his music, time to check it out. Hope the other songs are better.

you should check out "flicker"
Oct 30, 2016 12:31 PM

Feb 2015
alex_vera said:
you should check out "flicker"

Hmm, yep, will do. Thanks!

Oct 31, 2016 10:46 AM

Apr 2014
Well, that was kind of surprising, but in a good way. Music is great, visuals are gorgeous and the story is pretty good too!
Oct 31, 2016 10:41 PM
Nov 2015
sorry, but this is a just okay anime, IMO
Nov 1, 2016 1:48 PM

Nov 2011
@Gnk & @jayowend

This seems to be getting to the point where there's not a whole lot more to say because, although I generally agree with the review's criticisms, I'm not Zergneedsfood and cannot justify his specific reasons, much less his specific wording, so the nature of this conversation would have to shift if it were to continue. The primary difference between he and I in this scenario is that lack of detail and subtlety is not what I would consider the worst quality in the anime medium, and I am therefore much less passionate about it even though I do consider it the reason I am so apathetic toward the short.

In any case, the main thing that irked me was that people were taking potshots and making assumptions about some guy they know nothing about simply because he strongly disliked something they strongly liked. Now that you two have cleaned that up into more substantial arguments against the review, I'm satisfied.
Nov 3, 2016 5:57 AM

Nov 2015
How could you be mad about a 6 minute animated show, lol.
I think the story was well presented in that short time.
The visuals and music seem very good imo.
Overall it was a good short anime, the hype is well deserved.

7.5/10
Nov 4, 2016 9:51 PM

Sep 2011
Im not buying this. I won't go into details on the audio since I think that style of music is garbage - very subjective and irrelevant to my point here. The video is pretty, but it is very shallow once you replace the young girl with a guy in his early 20s. The premise shown in the video would make an incredible 24 or 44 minute OVA, but as it is it tries to invoke a response using the most unfiltered means possible as quickly as possible. The audio itself does very little to expand on the "story" given to us. I won't judge other people who liked the short and I can understand why they did, but I really couldn't get anything out of it myself.
Nov 5, 2016 6:20 AM

May 2014
Odd and overwhelming. So much greatness in one video, this was a lot more emotional than the last episode of other shows welp

It's sweet and sad at the same time. 8/10
No wonder it's rated highly in this site, it's indeed touching
Nov 5, 2016 8:29 PM

Apr 2014
Wow the animation was amazing, loved the music and the character design. Who woulda thought 6 minutes was enough to give a little knot in your throat :'(. I get shes alive but I feel thats more of being trapped in hell than anything else. I'd rather chose death with the people I care about than live alone in an empty world of my own creation for all of eternity.
Nov 6, 2016 6:48 PM
Jul 2016
Can someone help me understand what in the flying ....nevermind. What is going on with the reviews on the listing page?? Half of the people reviewing it are rating it at 5 or below, hell I rarely see that many 1 ratings even on legit garbage anime like Heart X Hybrid.

Ffs it's a music video people, you should be happy it even managed to cram that much story into 6 minutes and line it up with a song that invokes emotion. I just don't get it
I dropped by to add it to my list, and there's people writing full-length reviews just absolutely bashing it with accusations and spite on the same level as a 12 episode harem slice of life with crap animation that only exists to advertise a barely better manga.

I get it's not technically an anime, being just a 6 minute music video, but I don't understand all of the unwarranted hate for it just because it's not a new season of Naruto.

It irks me, the current rating is fluctuating around 8.34 and slowly dropping because people are trashing it for personal preference vendettas. It was a well-made passion project, and honestly deserves it's 15 minutes of fame. Leave the damn man alone since you can't help being so petty people.

Bring your hate to the forums, don't clutter the official review page with spiteful opinions.
/endrant
Nov 9, 2016 4:10 PM

Jul 2015
BestRbx said:
Can someone help me understand what in the flying ....nevermind. What is going on with the reviews on the listing page?? Half of the people reviewing it are rating it at 5 or below, hell I rarely see that many 1 ratings even on legit garbage anime like Heart X Hybrid.

Ffs it's a music video people, you should be happy it even managed to cram that much story into 6 minutes and line it up with a song that invokes emotion. I just don't get it
I dropped by to add it to my list, and there's people writing full-length reviews just absolutely bashing it with accusations and spite on the same level as a 12 episode harem slice of life with crap animation that only exists to advertise a barely better manga.

I get it's not technically an anime, being just a 6 minute music video, but I don't understand all of the unwarranted hate for it just because it's not a new season of Naruto.

It irks me, the current rating is fluctuating around 8.34 and slowly dropping because people are trashing it for personal preference vendettas. It was a well-made passion project, and honestly deserves it's 15 minutes of fame. Leave the damn man alone since you can't help being so petty people.

Bring your hate to the forums, don't clutter the official review page with spiteful opinions.
/endrant

When an anime starts to get popular, some people will begin to hate it just because it doesn't stand up to their idea of a "good" product; they can't contextualize their opinion, so that's inevitable.
They don't even care if this is just a 6 minutes long music video: for them, it still needs to have deep character development and a great original story to be classified as a "good" work.
In the case of Shelter, it's even worse because of the hype that was around it, which made the expectations even higher (and attracted even more haters: the people who think that something isn't good just because the majority thinks it is).

This isn't even specifically true for anime only, but for a large variety of other media as well.
Nov 9, 2016 4:15 PM

Jan 2015
It's not as good or bad as people say. It's okay for what it is, which is a music video.
Nov 10, 2016 8:07 PM

Oct 2012
Oh I don't know about this until my friend and a certain youtube video mention about it
9405 votes for score 10.. eh
The music is good and all, not really fond of it though
Animation budget.. oh wow.. A1 Picture strikes again
Story concept, looks interesting

The best thing in this MV for is Misawa Sachika ♥
xD
"Signature removed"
Nov 12, 2016 4:02 AM

Dec 2009
I found out about this some time ago when a friend linked it to m. I had no context, i didn't know of any hype or anything, i was just told it was a cool music video that was made recently.

The music isn't my think, well it was really good rhythmically and structure and all that jazz, but the "ey oo oo ey, ey oo oo ah" thing bothered me a bit.

When i first saw it, i thought it was pretty good, but it didn't super jump out at me. I have a habit of purposely NOT analyzing things initially until i deconstruct them in retrospect, so as to keep the most pure impression of it. I did find the ending sad, though i can get pretty emotional fairly easily these days (anime softened me up, i used to be a hardcore stoic).

Recently i thought to watch it again because of a random response video to it, and then it really clicked how masterful this really is. While i cannot say it's perfect, i noticed some elements and discrepancies of timing that causes elements to be missed at first glance, such as a super cute scene followed immediately after by a seriously important headline on the news... This is a problem of too sudden of emotion shift to where if you're not paying attention it flies right past you rather than making you go "wait holy crap". There were other parts where there was the appropriate space given for something to have the right impact, so i won't criticize that too much. Since my initial watch though, i've analyzed it front to back and know it through and through.

Not trying to sound arrogant, but i'm used to being a writer of this calibre and higher, and consuming works of this calibre and higher, so in that respect it doesn't jump out at me in the quality spectrum, as i'm used to high quality stuff. But then when i consider it's running time, and the amount of message gotten through, execution etc, this is extremely exceptional for a music video, out-shining even things like Perfect Day (supercell) and so on with detail, depth and impact (literal and figurative lol).

Bravo Porter.
GenesisAriaNov 12, 2016 4:22 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 12, 2016 7:55 AM

Dec 2012
Beautiful music video made in collaboration with an anime studio (A-1). The animation is stunning and fit well with the song (even though I didn't love the music).
Nov 15, 2016 6:18 AM

Apr 2016
Shelter started out as mediocre for me since I found it kind of depressing and I rate on enjoyment, but it kind of grow on me and now, after almost two weeks, I really appreciate it. Great combination of music, visuals and a nice story! Still a sad story though.
Nov 17, 2016 4:43 PM

Mar 2008
Looks great, but the music isn't to my tastes.

Didn't like the story. If they had done only the girl trapped in the AI with the hazy memories (no clear memories) and the message arriving as an open end, it would've been great. It would have emotional impact (not as much) but wouldn't have the plot problems or looked like a cheap shot for some people

Trying to give it context got in the way. I mean if a single civilian can create something like that, society would be able to either build arks or build a big scape pod program to send humans to other planets. Or something like that. I don't want to keep pushing other possibilities.

Leaving these kind of afterthoughts kinda ruin the experience in terms of emotion for me, because I'll focus on stuff like that instead of the situation.
Nov 17, 2016 10:01 PM
Feb 2015
Yes, it's just a 6 minute video but it's clearly trying to tell a deep story that's why a lot of people are treating it as such and criticizing it for what it's attempting to be.

I think the word "pretentious" fits this one. Well, it's A-1 Pictures so that's to be expected.

Lastly, like the other guys pointed out here, I also wondered if the protagonist is not a cute teenager girl, let's say an ugly guy, would this be popular like it is now?
Nov 17, 2016 11:01 PM

Oct 2015
when i planned to watch it i thought it was a long length movie but it turned out to be 6 minutes. Other than that damn, this musical anime was great the way the story line was told in style and short way. I got the full story and got taken away by it. 9/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 21, 2016 12:02 PM

Dec 2015
Wow, that was one of the most awesome things I've seen, simply great!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 22, 2016 1:31 PM

Mar 2016
Imo, you've got to judge shelter for what it is. It's not a regular and typical anime series. However, for what it is, i think it did a pretty great job . The message it tried to convey was well received in 6 min, and it did bring out the emotions . Also, i thought the music was great, fits my taste and well integrated with the great visuals . 9/10
Nov 22, 2016 2:46 PM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Awesome MV, needs more collaboration like this

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
Nov 23, 2016 10:06 AM

Jul 2009
If this was supposed to promote this guy's music, then it certainly didn't work for me.
If anything, it's the music that ruined the whole experience. Devoid of any real progression,
overly loud and obnoxious - it sounded like something you'd put in the background of a TV
commercial for a car, or something.
The animation itself was very well drawn, the story was okay (if a bit generic).
However, the pacing felt really off, and considering how simple the song was,
I don't think they could do much about it. Then again, it's just the way I felt after watching.
Most people liked it, so I guess it must be some sort of bias on my side.
Nov 24, 2016 8:41 AM
Nov 2010
Well, I've had nothing better to do and just chose to check this out for it is on MAL's panel for a while.

I didn't expect much to be told in six minutes, but even the six minutes weren't properly used to tell anything. There are large insignificant parts and things like the letter which is stuffed there just because. Nothing to say about the characters, either. This is just an animated song with low storytelling.

The art is pretty generic and the animation is okay; nothing I can't see elsewhere. Music is not really to my liking, though I guess some could like it.

I don't understand why something with no value such as this is even listed on MAL. There are TV commercials that qualify more for a spot than this.
Tomislavr7Nov 24, 2016 8:47 AM
Nov 25, 2016 5:56 PM

Aug 2015
I understand people be hating on it but damn, like someone said its a 6 min music for all viewers not just anime fans, does it deserve the criticism it has faced?
Nov 26, 2016 9:11 PM

Sep 2008
It was alright. Decent visuals. The music doesn't fit the video IMO. The story was simple and straight forward.
Nov 27, 2016 7:42 AM

May 2014
I'm not sure about the reasons for the poor ratings and reviews. This is a unique, novel, one-of-a-kind piece of art that should not be compared to the usual anime series or movies.

Unlike other movies and anime series that have a longer time to build up the story, develop the characters and pull at one's heartstrings, this 6 minute music clip was able to present a creative story that most viewers might not have been able to fully understand at first glance. It's a clip that makes you want to rewind and watch it over again because you get the feeling that you've missed out some clues which can help you to piece the story together.

The story may not be very realistic, but hey, that's called imagination.
The clip ended on a bittersweet note (i.e. a girl who is the only one alive but alone in space) and that might have left some feeling uncomfortable because we all naturally desire for happy endings.
Although I would never want to be in her position, I think that she was able to fully experience her father's love for her as he spent his time creating this life-supporting space shuttle that allowed her mind to dwell in a beautiful simulated world where she can freely express her creativity and be spared from utter boredom of having to live 7 years before finding out the terrifying truth about what really happened to all humanity.
I think the father did not just want to protect her physically, but also emotionally from pain and therefore delayed his message to a time when she would be more emotionally mature to process the truth. Some may feel that it would be more merciful to allow her to die along with the rest of humanity, but as a parent, I think it's not easy to accept that your child is going to die in front of you without doing anything.

On the overall, it wasn't really tear-jerking for me, but I would give it credit for being a clip that makes me want to watch it again and think through the issues in the story.
Nov 27, 2016 11:12 AM

Mar 2009
Zergneedsfood's rating is bullshit trolling with great success. This thread has 8 pages to prove that.

When it comes to reviewer, look at their profiles and compare your anime ratings with them. If the compatibility is bad, then don't follow their advice, they have a different taste than you. Simple as that.
Nov 28, 2016 2:57 PM

Aug 2013
oh my god this video fuckin sucks
Nov 29, 2016 4:49 AM
Jun 2016
icontinuetofight said:
oh my god this video fuckin sucks

For what reasons? Rather, I think it is beautiful for the level of tragedy it portrays, and if this were to become an anime, I would watch it in a heartbeat. It's a testament to trying to survive by existing within in your own mind, which quite frankly may end up becoming a reality for us someday given how we're destroying our planet (but that's a different story).

However, something that I do find somewhat tragic is that, with this lack of human interaction, is this truly an existence that's worth continuing? I'm not saying that it's better that she should have died along with her father, but I'm not sure I'd want to live such a lonely existence either given those two options. And how is her body sustaining itself in space?
Nov 29, 2016 4:17 PM
Nov 2016
I really loved the shelter song, but there is still one thing i dont understand :C
how does the ship have enough power to still last and what are your guys thoughts on if she ever made it to a habitable planet or not

A nice reply would be great

:D
Dec 1, 2016 12:12 AM
Jul 2018
Tanish_Shah said:
I really loved the shelter song, but there is still one thing i dont understand :C
how does the ship have enough power to still last and what are your guys thoughts on if she ever made it to a habitable planet or not

A nice reply would be great

:D

Easy! Solar Panels. habitable planet? no, i don't think so, i mean we know that Earth is the only habitate planet in the solar system [if you ask about mars, with technologies we can make it warmer and it can become life friendly, but its a long process]. and the most closest solar system "Alpha Centauri" is in 4.3 light years from us.

fan of cosmology
Dec 1, 2016 3:23 PM
Nov 2016
thanks but at the end if you saw the ship wasn't in motion many people say the ship may stop working and she will die in the VR world what are your thought on this?
Dec 3, 2016 4:54 AM
Dec 2010
Usually i don't watch short titles like this one, but my god... i'm not regretting i did this time. It's great!
Dec 3, 2016 5:28 AM
Jul 2018
This a beautifull short anime and song
Dec 5, 2016 7:16 PM

Dec 2013
Really nice music video, I can't understand why all that hate,it's just simple story about a father who want to protect his daughter and that all, why some people like hating popular animes ,like this one and something like "Sword art on line " yes it's not that good but not that bad.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2016 4:44 PM

Jul 2015
Animation and music were great.
Dec 23, 2016 12:02 AM

Mar 2012
What a beautiful short. What a masterful 6 minutes.

Then I realized there's no future for this girl it seems--stranded in space by herself, unless humanity rebuilds itself and someone finds her...
Dec 23, 2016 1:04 PM
Dec 2016
This anime is good and i loved s much please make a full film or movie.
Dec 24, 2016 7:20 AM

Oct 2015
this is the MOST BEAUTIFUL short movie music anime whatever I've seen in my Life

it has very deep meaning

and the story was so good although it was 6 min but i loved it

and the art-music was so beautiful
SakurakhoDec 24, 2016 7:24 AM
Dec 29, 2016 6:01 PM

Aug 2012
Blossom still gets the nod for my favorite anime music video (though apparently MAL considers that a movie) but this makes a pretty strong case for second best.
Jan 3, 2017 8:20 AM

Jan 2013
Damn ... really well done.
Song was not really my style but I guess it fit a bit with her building worlds in her own simulation.

Great little story, really strong 6 minutes.
PrOxAntoJan 3, 2017 1:10 PM
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime

STSayeb - Apr 22, 2023

4 by GoCrayzee »»
Apr 22, 2023 8:28 AM

» BTS of 'Shelter'

Yuckydiyuck - Oct 20, 2016

7 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Oct 31, 2021 6:35 PM

» Didn't realise it was in mal

SethXoXkun - Sep 11, 2021

5 by ManWild »»
Sep 12, 2021 10:58 AM

» Shelter playing on Toonami on New Year's? At midnight?

AvidAnimeViewer - Dec 22, 2016

2 by AvidAnimeViewer »»
Oct 1, 2019 5:23 PM

» Possibly one of the most overrated on mal?

Mister-Man - Aug 14, 2019

6 by NoLiferSoul »»
Sep 7, 2019 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.