Forum Settings
Forums

'Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!' 2017 Rankings Revealed

New
Nov 21, 2016 7:36 AM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
The "Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!" (This Light Novel is Amazing!) guidebook has revealed its annual light novel rankings for 2017. The list includes the most popular light novels, characters, and illustrators as polled by readers.

Light Novels
*1. Ryuuou no Oshigoto!
*2. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
*3. Toaru Majutsu no Index
*4. Sword Art Online
*5. Goblin Slayer
*6. Melody Lyric Idol Magic
*7. Gamers!
*8. Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun
*9. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
10. Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai.

Books
*1. Overlord
*2. Monogatari Series
*3. Kumo desu ga, Nani ka?
*4. Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu
*5. Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen
*6. Ninja Slayer Series
*7. Kyuuketsuki ni Natta Kimi wa Eien no Ai wo Hajimeru
*8. Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
*9. Boukyaku Tantei Series
10. Kono Sekai ga Game da to Ore dake ga Shitteiru

Female Characters
*1. Mikoto Misaka (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
*2. Rem (Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu)
*3. Megumin (Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!)
*4. Asuna Yuuki (Sword Art Online)
*5. Yukino Yukinoshita (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.)
*6. Megumi Katou (Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata)
*7. White Queen (Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign)
*8. Emilia (Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu)
*9. Index Librorum Prohibitorum (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
10. Othinus (Toaru Majutsu no Index)

Male Characters
*1. Touma Kamijou (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
*2. Kazuto Kirigaya (Sword Art Online)
*3. Accelerator (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
*4. Subaru Natsuki (Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu)
*5. Hachiman Hikigaya (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.)
*6. Kenji Fujikido (Ninja Slayer Series)
*7. Tatsuya Shiba (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei)
*8. Kazuma Satou (Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!)
*9. Sora (No Game No Life)
10. Kyousuke Shiroyama (Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign)

Illustrators
*1. Kiyotaka Haimura (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
*2. abec (Sword Art Online)
*3. Kantoku (Imouto sae Ireba Ii.)
*4. Kurone Mishima (Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!)
*5. Warainaku (Ninja Slayer Series)
*6. Ponkan 8 (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.)
*7. Kurehito Misaki (Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata)
*8. Shirabi (Ryuuou no Oshigoto!)
*9. Shinichirou Ootsuka (Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu)
10. Saki Ukai (Black Bullet)

Source: Otakomu

← Previous Year
cyruzOct 13, 2019 12:23 AM

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 21, 2016 7:40 AM

Nov 2011
Somehow, I'm not surprised that Goblin Slayer made the list. Glad to see Index in the top 3 though.

Very happy to see Kumo desu ga, Nani ka? in the book section. I have a feeling this will be the next big thing next year. (anime adaptation when?)
Nov 21, 2016 7:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Can't say I've ever heard of the winning LN but there's a loli on the cover and it's supposedly about games of some sort so it sure sounds promising at least. Cool to see Re:Zero actually beating out SAO and Index too

And well I don't think anyone should be surprised at Rem and Megumin taking the new waifu of the year awards at least (well out of the girls that have actually become popular this year that is, Misaka is hardly new)
Nov 21, 2016 7:49 AM

Jan 2014
I don't get it: are Overlord and Monogatari light novels or not? The ranking is for light novels, yet there is a separate section for 'books'... ?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2016 8:00 AM

Mar 2015
*6. Ninja Slayer Series

i came to here and make this coment just to pointing this out...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 21, 2016 8:08 AM

Sep 2013
Oh yeah overlord leading the way, the others are pretty good too.

Books
*1. Overlord

The next big hits, all 3 will get an anime, mark my words.

*5. Goblin Slayer
Nov 21, 2016 8:10 AM

Mar 2014
What a sad list lol.
Nov 21, 2016 8:15 AM

Dec 2011
I was looking to see if this had been leaked yet this morning.

@starlessn1ght - they are light novels. The "books" ranking is a new ranking this year which seems to be of series that are not bunkobon releases, some of which weren't previously eligible (but got in the character rankings sometimes anyway). I'll be able to confirm when I receive my copy if noone else has beforehand. I use a slow postage method though so don't expect it for a while yet.

@Paulo27 - what do you mean by that?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 21, 2016 8:16 AM
Jan 2016
Good to see the mc god that is Hachiman get some love.
Nov 21, 2016 8:19 AM

Feb 2012
They should rename the rankings from Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! to Kono Light Novel ga Cringy!
Nov 21, 2016 8:19 AM

Dec 2015
I wonder what Ryuuou no Oshigoto is about

MrStealYourLoli said:
Good to see the mc god that is Hachiman get some love.

He gets the love almost every single year :p
Nov 21, 2016 9:03 AM

Feb 2009
I'm seeing some LNs that were originally WNs. Interesting trend I guess. Some results were predictable, some were out of the left field. I'd like to see the breakdown of the votes by HP, Collab and Monitor so we could gauge how each series got their rankings.
Nov 21, 2016 9:06 AM

Jan 2015
Oh my god Kumo desu ga, nani ka!!!! Yesssss
Nov 21, 2016 9:15 AM

Jan 2014
kuuderes_shadow said:

@starlessn1ght - they are light novels. The "books" ranking is a new ranking this year which seems to be of series that are not bunkobon releases, some of which weren't previously eligible (but got in the character rankings sometimes anyway). I'll be able to confirm when I receive my copy if noone else has beforehand. I use a slow postage method though so don't expect it for a while yet.

Please mention me when you confirm it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2016 9:21 AM

Sep 2016
ichii_1 said:
Oh yeah overlord leading the way, the others are pretty good too.

Books
*1. Overlord

The next big hits, all 3 will get an anime, mark my words.

*5. Goblin Slayer

*5 and *8 will get an anime I guess but *3 may not get becauce there is no human mc. I may be wrong.
Nov 21, 2016 9:29 AM

Oct 2012
Great to see Ryuuou no Oshigoto won the LN rankings.

Can't say I'm too happy with the rest.
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Nov 21, 2016 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
Rem trash and that autistic chuuni loli ranked so high

Interested in what that Ryuuou no Oshigoto! is about but that cover is a bit. well they said don't judge book by cover. hope we have synopsis about that soon.

"Kumo desu ga, Nani ka?" sounds interesting.

>Ninja slayer
not sure if people actually like it or it's there because of meme.
LoNNoLNov 21, 2016 10:05 AM
Nov 21, 2016 9:33 AM

May 2011
Robiiii said:

From bookstore description.

The newest work from creator of Norin - Shiratori Shirou, this time on shogi (japanese analog for chess) scene! Kuzuryu Yaichi is youngest shogi champion - Ryuou (dragon's king) - in history. And here is a girl - Hinazuru Ai, who ask him to become his disciple. Too yong for his title, Yaichi is going to revive his shogi trough passionate disciple.... wait, Ai-chan is 9 y.o.? She is an elementary schoolgirl! And... is she going to live with Yaichi? All night until morning? What? Officer, can we have you here, please! A comedy about shogi-holic live-in disciple.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=124975
Nov 21, 2016 9:40 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Zekamashi said:
Robiiii said:

From bookstore description.

The newest work from creator of Norin - Shiratori Shirou, this time on shogi (japanese analog for chess) scene! Kuzuryu Yaichi is youngest shogi champion - Ryuou (dragon's king) - in history. And here is a girl - Hinazuru Ai, who ask him to become his disciple. Too yong for his title, Yaichi is going to revive his shogi trough passionate disciple.... wait, Ai-chan is 9 y.o.? She is an elementary schoolgirl! And... is she going to live with Yaichi? All night until morning? What? Officer, can we have you here, please! A comedy about shogi-holic live-in disciple.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=124975
Someone was really eager to Google translate that I see >.>

Well whatever at least it was understandable. That does sounds pretty spicy for sure, not gonna lie
Nov 21, 2016 9:41 AM

Dec 2011
Rayzer said:
What's this guidebook/magazine again?
As if that guidebook was known.

An annual light novel magazine/guidebook published by Takarajimasha containing info about various light novels, industry stats, info about websites and other resources relating to light novels, rankings and awards from elsewhere, interviews, and of course its own rankings, of which the lists above are the top parts, which are broken down in various different ways and with lots of details.
Its focus is on series with volumes out in the past year.

As for well known, it's by far and away the most prestigious awards relating to light novels, sells better than at least half of the light novels mentioned in it, and can give a visible boost to series that do well in its rankings.

edit: eh? You deleted your post? Oh well, posting this anyway for anyone else.

@starlessn1ght - I'll try to remember to.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 21, 2016 9:54 AM
Aug 2016
*1. Ryuuou no Oshigoto! ( For a title that is less than a year old..it must be really good to get the nubmer 1 spot and no anime adaption, i wish we had a sypnosis for it.
*2. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu ( Haha the biggest title of 2016 of course it will be here.
*3. Toaru Majutsu no Index ( Give the fans their s3...cmon dont tease them anymore :P)
*4. Sword Art Online ( 6 years on and still in the rankings ehh? )
*5. Goblin Slayer
*6. Melody Lyric Idol Magic
*7. Gamers!
*8. Yowa-Chara Tomozaki-kun
*9. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! ( Well it made it in the top 10..with s2 it might get higher next year. )
10. Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai.

*1. Overlord ( Still in the lead..Dark god series for the world :D )
*2. Monogatari Series (It got dethroned :) but still kickin strong)
*3. Kumo desu ga, Nani ka? ( people should read..it is very different from the other general transported to another world series female mc..Spider girl..etcc high praise. )
Nov 21, 2016 9:59 AM

Dec 2011
Last year's rankings of series in this year's top 10:
this year's rank. Title - last year's rank

*1. Ryuuou no Oshigoto! - 26
*2. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - 29
*3. Toaru Majutsu no Index - 7
*4. Sword Art Online - 2
*5. Goblin Slayer - n/a (new series this year)
*6. Melody Lyric Idol Magic - n/a (new series this year)
*7. Gamers! - 15
*8. Yowa-Chara Tomozaki-kun - n/a (new series this year)
*9. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! - 100
10. Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai. - 16

Overlord was in 25th last year. Other volumes on the book ranking are either new or were ineligible last year.
Nov 21, 2016 10:14 AM

Jan 2014
Mushoku Tensei anime when tho ::/
Nov 21, 2016 10:22 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
LoneWizzy said:
You'd need 100+ episodes to adapt all of that

But yeah I'm a bit surprised we haven't gotten at least just a partial adaptation of the first couple volumes
Nov 21, 2016 10:24 AM

Jan 2014
HaXXspetten said:
LoneWizzy said:
You'd need 100+ episodes to adapt all of that

But yeah I'm a bit surprised we haven't gotten at least just a partial adaptation of the first couple volumes
That didnt stop Re:Zero adaptation o_O

But ye if the yever do it will probably be something like Kimi No Iru Machi where they adapt stuff from middle and mess it up with timeskips and flashbacks everywhere
Nov 21, 2016 10:33 AM

Jul 2015
all i care about is Rem <3
Nov 21, 2016 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
Index bounced back up this year after slowly trending downward with the lack of S3. Should be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Blood Sign characters ranking this high with low sales and no adaptation? Might get an announcement for an anime in March.

Re:Zero is already reaching its peak this year, unless they make another season. I know a portion of Japanese readers dropped it post-arc 3 after what happens, so it might not rank any higher than this.

And I've never heard of the top LN series but looking at its summary I can already feel an adaptation coming. Hopefully it won't suck.
Nov 21, 2016 10:59 AM

Sep 2012
Lolimancer said:
Index bounced back up this year after slowly trending downward with the lack of S3. Should be interesting to see where it goes from here....
With its actual sales of paper light novels dropping this is interesting to see. Does this mean the reader polls are not a good indicator of sales or does it mean that the ebook market has eaten sufficiently into the paper book sales that we can't use those to see how well a light novel is doing? Hard to say.
Nov 21, 2016 11:06 AM

Apr 2013
Overlord over MT?

Top fucking kek.

LoneWizzy said:
But ye if the yever do it will probably be something like Kimi No Iru Machi where they adapt stuff from middle and mess it up with timeskips and flashbacks everywhere

If they ever do an adaption like that for MT, I will allahu ackbar whatever fucking studio is in charge.
hoopla123Nov 21, 2016 11:10 AM
Nov 21, 2016 11:21 AM

Aug 2015
Mikoto still rocking it year after year, huh.

hoopla123 said:

LoneWizzy said:

If they ever do an adaption like that for MT, I will allahu ackbar whatever fucking studio is in charge.

I totally cannot imagine anyone doing a decent adaption of MT, especially in 12 episodes.
Nov 21, 2016 11:24 AM

Dec 2011
hpulley said:
Lolimancer said:
Index bounced back up this year after slowly trending downward with the lack of S3. Should be interesting to see where it goes from here....
With its actual sales of paper light novels dropping this is interesting to see. Does this mean the reader polls are not a good indicator of sales or does it mean that the ebook market has eaten sufficiently into the paper book sales that we can't use those to see how well a light novel is doing? Hard to say.

Index fans always seem to be more active in online polls than any other fandom, and indeed it is the HP rankings that Index is most dependent on - and to a greater extent than literally any other series in last year's top 60.

For the last few years the HP ranking has been completely dominated by OreGairu, so the very absence of that this year would probably disproportionately benefit Index.
Nov 21, 2016 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
hpulley said:
Lolimancer said:

Sales were never a good indicator, really. Konosuba sold like hotcakes this year but isn't as well-received as others still. From a marketing standpoint, you have to understand that Index is only dropping because of basic marketing trends, and how old it is. I'm not even gonna say that a new season would help the sales, but the last two volumes were positively received on some Japanese forums I read, so no, sales aren't a good indicator really.
Nov 21, 2016 12:02 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
A lot of future anime candidates here. Ryuuou no Oshigoto! will probably receive one within a year. Would like to see one for Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai. in particular.

Monogatari Series being in the rank isn't anything new, but glad to see Okitegami ranking as well. SHAFT, get to it, and get to it fast!

Nov 21, 2016 12:04 PM

Dec 2011
Vindstot said:

Monogatari Series being in the rank isn't anything new

It being on the series ranking is new - it wasn't eligible before.
Nov 21, 2016 12:25 PM

Jun 2015
Releasing a Best of [YEAR] list in mid-November, how stupid is that?
Nov 21, 2016 12:28 PM

Jun 2011
Heh, Index dominating, hopefully that's a good sign for what's to come in the very near future.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 21, 2016 12:29 PM

Apr 2014
Vindstot said:

Glad to see Okitegami ranking as well. SHAFT, get to it, and get to it fast!

This definitely needs an adaptation!
Nov 21, 2016 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
I'm glad to see Yahari characters in the list. TATSUYA YAAAY <3 EWW MIYUKI T_T
Nov 21, 2016 2:09 PM

Sep 2011
Mostly pretty good rankings. Rem should have been #1 though.
Some of the posts here a so cancerous.
Nov 21, 2016 2:46 PM

Apr 2013
Also for illustrators, Kurehito and Kurone should be on the top 2.

List is a joke as usual lel.
Nov 21, 2016 3:45 PM

Dec 2013
I have never even heard of number 1. I would imagine it would get an anime adaptation eventually.

Good to see Re:Zero so high.

I can't believe there isn't a season 3 of Index yet.
Nov 21, 2016 4:15 PM
Nov 2016
Ermm... i don't understand why misaka mikoto is still in Number one... The anime ended a long long time ago and there are many character better than misaka
Nov 21, 2016 4:46 PM

Feb 2016
Ey! Kantoku is up third!
Nov 21, 2016 5:27 PM

Feb 2016
Warainaku's art is incredible, nice to see him get some recognition.
Nov 21, 2016 5:44 PM

Mar 2015
LoNNoL said:
that autistic chuuni loli ranked so high

>autistic
>best girl

Re:Zero is overrated, and so is Rem. Megumin deserves her place in the top 10, as does Kazuma. Misaka is good and all but being #1 all the time is meh. Kirito doesn't deserve #2, Touma I can live with, 8man needs to be higher. That's about it I think.
Nov 21, 2016 6:38 PM

Aug 2012
We still have a lot of Index in the rankings, but its poor sales tells a different story.
Nov 21, 2016 7:07 PM

Dec 2013
Onee-sama deserved this year throne with those terible things going on with her in NT latest story.

LoneWizzy said:

Nice taste sir, have a good day.
Nov 21, 2016 7:58 PM

Nov 2011
OneTrueEmiya said:
LoNNoL said:
that autistic chuuni loli ranked so high

>autistic
>best girl

Re:Zero is overrated, and so is Rem. Megumin deserves her place in the top 10, as does Kazuma. Misaka is good and all but being #1 all the time is meh. Kirito doesn't deserve #2, Touma I can live with, 8man needs to be higher. That's about it I think.

>Best girl
>autistic chuuni loli
That's like saying

If there's edgy character ranking 8man would be ranked 1st dont worry Emiya-kun.
Nov 21, 2016 9:07 PM
Feb 2011
Ryuuou is about Shogi. It has strong backing by GA bunko in a mixed media project with strong star power in its drama CD, and already 2 years old not 1 year mind you guys. It was also ranked last year at 26 iirc. Like Hikaru no go, it also receives professional counsel and editorial supervision from shogi pros. The protag is a 16-year old title holder, the loli is his first disciple. The master-disciple relationship is somewhat modeled after real-life shogi pros, Yonenaga Kunio and Hayashiba Naoko, who also went into apprenticeship in elementary school and lived with her master. Aside from the protag, his ane-deshi (fellow senior female disciple under the same master) is also a title holder. Blah blah blah...
Nov 22, 2016 2:00 AM

Dec 2011
TrashDax said:
Releasing a Best of [YEAR] list in mid-November, how stupid is that?

Years starting and ending in mid November is normal in Japan. There's probably some history behind it which I don't know or did but forgot about.

larethian said:
The master-disciple relationship is somewhat modeled after real-life shogi pros, Yonenaga Kunio and Hayashiba Naoko, who also went into apprenticeship in elementary school and lived with her master.

Interesting info. Thanks for that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Dungeon Meshi' Second Cour Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs, Third Promo

DatRandomDude - 47 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

18 by Adnash »»
2 hours ago

» 'Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest' Unveils Main Staff, Summer 2024 Premiere

Vindstot - Mar 11

25 by Juventinoaymen »»
3 hours ago

» 'Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf' Reveals Additional Cast, Staff, Third Promo

DatRandomDude - Mar 21

19 by HloFrndz »»
5 hours ago

» 'High Card' Gets New Episode

DatRandomDude - Mar 25

3 by Memore »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.