Forum Settings
Forums

Seiyuu Jenya Davidyuk Announces Marriage and Pregnancy

New
Nov 18, 2016 3:34 PM

Nov 2007
Seiyuu Jenya Davidyuk has announced via her blog on November 14, 2016 that she has gotten married to a Japanese man not from the industry and is also pregnant. She mentioned that she will continue to work.

Jenya was born in Novosibirsk, Russia in 1981. Her passion for anime began at 16 years old, when she saw Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon on TV. She came to Japan in 2005 hoping to become a voice actor and managed to fulfill her dream. Even though she hasn't voiced major roles as a seiyuu, she is also active as a TV personality and as a Russian language consultant for other artists.

Source: Official blog

News submitted by kuchitsu
Sakana-sanNov 29, 2018 11:15 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 18, 2016 4:31 PM

Jul 2011
Oh, a non-Japanese VA is rather rare (especially non-Asian). Congrats to her, hope she has a happy marriage!
MirorinNov 19, 2016 12:18 AM
Nov 18, 2016 6:02 PM

Apr 2012
Being a Russian myself, I'm happy to hear the news
Nov 18, 2016 7:19 PM

Oct 2014
Ah, Klara from Girls und Panzer der Film. It was a great touch to have some actual Russian spoken (between Klara and Nonna, Nonna va'd by Sumire Uesaka who also speaks Russian having studied it in university).

Congrats to Jenya :)
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Nov 18, 2016 7:34 PM

Sep 2013
Interesting a non-Japanese person VAing in Japanese, I didn't even know that was a thing.
Nov 18, 2016 8:16 PM

Jul 2014
@Aggron well there's Romi Park (Edward Elric, Hitsugaya Toushirou, Osaki Nana, etc), who's Korean. But she was born and grew up in Japan.
Nov 18, 2016 8:56 PM

Jul 2015
Hmm, dunno how bad her accent is, or if she still has one, but if there is still one her voice roles are quite limited. Foreign chars in general are quite rare and especially Russians. I guess the highest chance for a foreign seiyuu would be with English heritage followed by German. Considering the popularity... maybe there will be a REAL YURI "Yuri on Ice" Version with a wide female international cast with correct accents. ^^

Well anyways, congrats, always nice to see when someone chases their dream and is succesful in many steps. ;)
Nov 19, 2016 1:06 AM

Aug 2016
PiratDunkelbart said:
I guess the highest chance for a foreign seiyuu would be with English heritage followed by German.

I don’t think so, English and German are everywhere and if you really want to make something unique and new, Russian might help here. But I would say, learning German and English isn’t that difficult, so if she wants, she will learn them as well.
PiratDunkelbart said:
Hmm, dunno how bad her accent is, or if she still has one.

She has been living in Japan for 11 years and you think that she still might have an accent, right? This is ridiculous.
Nov 19, 2016 1:14 AM

Aug 2008
Man, that's really scrapping the bottom of the barrel for news. Good for her but at this rate MAL will start informing about new furniture in animation studios.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Nov 19, 2016 1:40 AM

Jun 2008
She is apparently very skilled at English. Her 2016 TOEIC result is 935 out of 990.

You can listen to her voice samples here, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i5tHzdpU94
Nov 19, 2016 1:57 AM

Aug 2016
Every European is skilled in English. However, having a good Japanese, which is a pretty difficult language to learn, is worthy of respect.
Nov 19, 2016 2:09 AM
Jul 2018
I haven't heard about this person but this is actually a good thing for her. >-< I wish her the best of luck and hope that shes happy with the one she loves, and hoping that the child is healthy and safe too >w<
Nov 19, 2016 2:49 AM

Mar 2014
That's awesome

I hope she'll receive more roles in the future
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 19, 2016 4:00 AM

Feb 2012
Really nice to see something new like this, all the best for her and I hope she gets more roles.
Nov 19, 2016 10:14 AM

May 2010
Yorshkai said:
Every European is skilled in English. However, having a good Japanese, which is a pretty difficult language to learn, is worthy of respect.

Really? If anything, I'd say that Japanese, especially pronunciation, is easier to learn than English, at least for Slavic people like her.

Anyway, I had no idea there was someone European voicing Japanese characters :o Cool!
Nov 19, 2016 2:07 PM
Aug 2015
Yorshkai said:
She has been living in Japan for 11 years and you think that she still might have an accent, right? This is ridiculous.

You're aware that adults don't really lose their accents all that well, right? I know a Malaysian man who's been here in NZ for 35 years and is still heavily accented, a German couple who's been abroad for 50 and still have a German lilt. 11 years and still retaining an accent is far from inconceivable when she moved as a 24 year old (can't be bothered double checking the maths).

On a sidenote, Japanese makeup on a white woman is the most terrifying thing i've ever seen, holy shit. Looks like a killer doll.
Nov 19, 2016 2:36 PM

Jul 2011
Yorshkai said:

The original post you were replying to was kinda stupid, but quick reminder that accent =/= fluency in language.
Accents as only affecting pronunciation, not vocabulary or grammar. So yes, she may still have her accent.
How long she has been in Japan or her fluency is irrelevant.
Nov 19, 2016 6:29 PM
Dec 2014
Yorshkai said:
Every European is skilled in English.

Hahahahaha simply not true
Nov 20, 2016 12:22 AM

Aug 2016
Naoto22 said:

You are trying to say that you are the only exception, right? I am sorry.

Mirorin said:

The original post you were replying to was kinda stupid, but quick reminder that accent =/= fluency in language.
Accents as only affecting pronunciation, not vocabulary or grammar. So yes, she may still have her accent.

You are right, but you are also wrong. She is a voice actress and she must have a fine ear for music: such people are able to learn whatever language they want and to speak it without any accent at all. Of course, there are exceptions. Some people just cannot do it and I know such people; however, there are ways to make your pronunciation near flawless/flawless and to get rid of your accent.
Nov 20, 2016 1:51 AM

Jul 2011

Sorry I meant that last line as a general statement. Though I will add pronunciation is limited by physical capabilities too (ability to tongue roll etc.), not reliant on just ability to pick out and mimic sounds. Though with enough practice and effort people can achieve accentless fluency regardless. I agree, considering her line of work she probably worked to get rid of any accent she might have.

@PiratDunkelbart Listening to her youtube videos, she sounds native and like a typical seiyuu. Also looks (except being non-Asian), acts, and dresses like... a typical seiyuu lol. If she were Asian she'd blend right in.
Nov 20, 2016 2:14 AM

Jan 2016
Yorshkai said:
Naoto22 said:

Your statement is probably true for the countries from the northen Europe, as an half french and italian i wouldn't say that the two are skilled in english.
Nov 20, 2016 6:00 AM
Jul 2018
Congratulations!
Nov 20, 2016 6:30 AM

Jul 2015
Yorshkai said:

Lol, ok then Ill just pick one of the most famous examples, which comes to my mind: Ever listened to Arnold Schwarzenegger speaking English? You really think he is the only case of someone emigrating and still having a horrible accent? If you read my post carefully Id said it was just a possibility that she still would have a noticable accent. Some people are able to adept their pronounciation to a mother's tounge level, other dont have the skills or are just too lazy.

As a professional speaker Im quite sure her accent isnt on a bad level, though if you cast for for a Japanese show, it is basically a given that certain chars dont even have the slightest accent. I cant judge it in her case anyways because I know Jack about Japanese, but Id definietly could point out if a foreigner having learned my language would dub for a TV show unless he completly would have gotten rid of the accent.
Nov 20, 2016 7:10 AM
Dec 2014
Yorshkai said:
Naoto22 said:

It's not true that's all. Went to france and I had the same experience I have when talking online to french people. They wanted me to talk french and couldn't speak english, went to italy and it wasn't as bad as france but still many couldn't talk english.

My only other experience is from online gaming, I had the same experience with italians and french like I had when I was there. Spanish people don't bother with typing english, same for russians. Even here in germany most people are shit in english, but I wouldn't say it's as bad as france or spain. It's a germanic language after all so obviously germans should do easier than them.

The best in english (in europe) are scandinavian people from my experience
Nov 20, 2016 7:42 AM
May 2015
Many congratulations to her!
Nov 20, 2016 8:19 PM

Aug 2010
Mirorin said:
Yorshkai said:

Well, Japanese is one of the easiest accent to get I'd say. Due to the really few range of sound it has.

If she knows all the grammar / vocabulary (which is on an whole different level) and lives in Japan for 11 years. I wouldn't be surprised if she's making an accent on purpose.
Dec 24, 2016 2:12 AM

Oct 2012
Congratulations ^^

One of the very few foreigner seiyuu, I like her! :D
"Signature removed"
Mar 20, 2017 10:49 PM

Nov 2007
The baby has born on March 20, 2017.
http://ameblo.jp/jenya/entry-12258317296.html
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

71 by MichaelJackson »»
3 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Today

3 by Maumuu »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
11 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.