Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 28, 2016 5:43 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Calling it first impressions sounds nice on paper but in practicality it's basically the same thing as just having a mid-season review. Because that's basically what previews are: initial impressions

Fall said:

• Can we review OVAs, ONAs and Specials (and Films) that finish in this season? Single-episode OVAs that start and finish in this season are easy enough to think about, but it's worth considering stuff like Magical Suite Prism Nana, which has been airing since 2015 but hasn't gotten an official release yet (though it might this season?). But say for example's sake that an OVA has been airing since 2010, and the last episode is due to air Fall 2016. Would we be able to choose to review that OVA for this end-of-season review thread?
  • Can we review leftovers? This one's pretty straightforward. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer is 'yes', but i'm checking while I'm at it.
  • Can we review hentai?
I have been considering this too actually. In general I'd just say that anything that ends during the Fall season should be eligable for the end-of-season list for said Fall season. That seems pretty logical to me at least. So I guess in that case the answer would be yes to all three. Not that I know how many people are actually interested in doing stuff like specials but I won't stop you. I was thinking about reviewing Shoujo Ramune after the 2nd episode comes out in December for example so I guess I could include that here as well if so
Oct 28, 2016 5:49 AM

Oct 2015
ayyy i can talk about zaregoto and rant about how best girl in oregairu got shafted ;-;
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Oct 28, 2016 5:58 AM

Apr 2013
HaXXspetten said:
I have been considering this too actually. In general I'd just say that anything that ends during the Fall season should be eligable for the end-of-season list for said Fall season. That seems pretty logical to me at least. So I guess in that case the answer would be yes to all three. Not that I know how many people are actually interested in doing stuff like specials but I won't stop you. I was thinking about reviewing Shoujo Ramune after the 2nd episode comes out in December for example so I guess I could include that here as well if so
Sounds good to me, then.

I've got one more question that I probably should have mentioned originally: What about OVAs that start in the current season but end the season afterwards? Zaregoto being the example here, but most hentai that aren't just an episode long are like this too. Should we be only reviewing completed series in the end-of-season list?
Oct 28, 2016 6:24 AM

Jul 2015
I'll maybe participate, though it heavily depends on what I find to watch.
Bernkishi07Oct 28, 2016 6:33 AM
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Oct 28, 2016 6:26 AM

Dec 2015
Everything sounds fine to me, especially the thing about not having to mention which shows you are going to review. I've already changed my mind a lot of times when it came to which ones I'd like to write a review for and I'll probably keep changing it until the end of the season.

About the mid-season reviews, I will agree with what most people said, since I don't think I'll be writing any (except if I suddenly find the time to do so). The event will be pretty pointless if no one is interested but, I guess that it can still be done if there are people who really want to write a preview.
Otherwise, the ideas about the seasonal discussion thread I saw in previous comments will be fine, too.
Oct 28, 2016 6:39 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Fall said:
HaXXspetten said:
Sounds good to me, then.

I've got one more question that I probably should have mentioned originally: What about OVAs that start in the current season but end the season afterwards? Zaregoto being the example here, but most hentai that aren't just an episode long are like this too. Should we be only reviewing completed series in the end-of-season list?
I think for the same reason you don't want to review 2-cours halfway through them, the same should be true for abnormalities like Zaregoto. So I would probably say no to that

Hentai is a bit weird though because a lot of the time it's rather unclear how many episodes they're supposed to be. I often find entries I've long since marked as completed suddenly pop up in my watching list again because another episode was suddenly announced like a year later, although that's probably not worth thinking about here. But let's just say if the final episode of something seemingly airs sometime during this season, then it's eligible. If it doesn't, then it's not. Think that's probably the easiest way to do it
Oct 28, 2016 6:50 AM

Apr 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Fall said:
Sounds good to me, then.

I think for the same reason you don't want to review 2-cours halfway through them, the same should be true for abnormalities like Zaregoto. So I would probably say no to that

Hentai is a bit weird though because a lot of the time it's rather unclear how many episodes they're supposed to be. I often find entries I've long since marked as completed suddenly pop up in my watching list again because another episode was suddenly announced like a year later, although that's probably not worth thinking about here. But let's just say if the final episode of something seemingly airs sometime during this season, then it's eligible. If it doesn't, then it's not. Think that's probably the easiest way to do it
That's fair.

Most iterations of Oni Chichi, in particular, often seem to get abandoned before the narrative comes to a proper conclusion. That seems to be a quirk of many of PoRo's productions, actually...
Oct 28, 2016 10:00 AM

Apr 2015
Ya like most of the people here, I think we could do away with the mid-season reviews, but I like Blue's idea of some sort of first impression event/part.
Oct 30, 2016 7:19 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Weeeell alright then, to summarize; I'll get rid of the mid-season list then as it doesn't seem to serve much purpose other than as a filler. With the number of seasonal events this club has running nowadays anyway I think it should be fine even without it

As far as the thoughts on making some "initial impressions" list, I'd still like to just advise you to use the Seasonal Discussion Thread for that. I mean it was literally created for the sake of people getting to share their thoughts on anime while they're still airing after all, and just exactly how you do that is up to you. People doing occasional summaries of their current thoughts on everything is not that uncommon, I've done it several times before myself too. And ultimately it isn't really a proper "review" if it isn't for a finished series so it'd be a bit weird having preliminary stuff as part of a review event

Sooo yeah just stick with the seasonal thread for now, and I'll come back to this event in a few weeks to start asking people to sign up (or if you already know you want to participate then you can say so already), and then I'll start sending out reminders towards the end of the season
Nov 5, 2016 7:39 PM

Dec 2013
I guess I'll still post my new review in here, made a review on Baccano.
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=233298
Nov 5, 2016 7:49 PM

Oct 2015
lol
Hibbington said:

what has this got to do with fall season XD
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Nov 5, 2016 8:04 PM

Dec 2013
meison said:
lol
Hibbington said:

what has this got to do with fall season XD

Nothing but this is still the Review Thread.
Nov 5, 2016 8:43 PM

Oct 2015
so we can post our reviews in this AG review thread? o_o
Nov 6, 2016 1:22 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
meison said:
so we can post our reviews in this AG review thread? o_o
Well that was its main original purpose before I created this seasonal event thingy. It hasn't been used as much for that as of late but that doesn't mean you can't do it still
Nov 6, 2016 2:05 AM

Oct 2015
... i shall now spam any reviews i write here then, i need them helpfuls XD
Nov 6, 2016 12:54 PM

Dec 2013
@HaXXspetten

I'm bringing it back XD.
Should we do something involving non-airing reviews?
Nov 6, 2016 1:01 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
What did you have in mind
Nov 6, 2016 2:33 PM

Dec 2013
HaXXspetten said:
What did you have in mind

Well we could do that "featured review" idea for non-airing reviews.
Reviews posted in this thread will go into a pool and one will be chosen randomly using one of those "choosing" sites. I only know random.org
We'd probably start only featuring them on the first post. You'll announce what won in the thread so people will know.
We could eventually add it to the layout if it hit's off but that would have to wait for the next season.
I'd say they'd still need to be recently made though, I don't want a review made in 2014 winning XD.
Nov 12, 2016 4:34 AM

Aug 2016
I would like to participate c:

Nov 18, 2016 2:21 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Alright seeing as we're now a little over halfway through the Fall season, I figured it's about time to start the sign-ups for this thingy

As I said before, you do not need to sign up for any specific shows, nor do you have to publically say what you are going to review (you don't even have to decide yet). I just want the people interested in participating with something to state in this thread that they're joining so that I know who to send out reminders to later on

Also as I decided on earlier, any anime that ends sometime during the Fall season is eligible. This means that OVAs, specials, Summer leftovers etcetera are all fine, even hentai if you want. But on the flipside, any series that do not end during this season are ineligible (so for example 3-gatsu no Lion will not be accepted since it ends after the Winter 2017 season, it'll be eligible then instead)

Soooo I guess I'm just going to tag the same old group for the moment but hopefully I can catch some new people too

@Silyon
@Sometimes791
@Mystifire
@LoneWizzy
@snapeftw
@meison
@Forgotten_Memo
@lovelyangel666
@animegirlism
@Melody
@oso2301
@FanteHS
@Chiaki__Nanami
@Tanstafl
@BlueSkylark
@Chiburo
@vladkob
@Fall
@Burger-Meister
@benkarN
Nov 18, 2016 3:03 PM

Dec 2015
I'm still not sure whether I'll have enough time to write reviews for this season or not but, I'd like to get reminders just in case, please.
Nov 18, 2016 3:39 PM

Aug 2015
yeah me too. I am quite busy lately.
however I still think I can manage to write 3-4 reviews.
reminder would be nice.
Nov 18, 2016 4:40 PM

May 2015
I would like to get reminders too.
Nov 18, 2016 4:46 PM

Oct 2015
meh i can stll pump out 5-7 reviews
Nov 18, 2016 11:04 PM
Jul 2015
Been busy this season. Super behind on most of my series :/
Nov 19, 2016 12:15 AM

Oct 2015
i want to sing up too! :D
Nov 19, 2016 12:31 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
vladkob said:
You're gonna sing for us? Damn, I have to remember to record it then
Nov 19, 2016 6:17 AM

Oct 2015
HaXXspetten said:
vladkob said:
You're gonna sing for us? Damn, I have to remember to record it then

lol sorry for misspelling XD
Nov 20, 2016 2:40 PM

Sep 2007
I'll probably be doing a review only at the end of the season. With MAL's "new" rules for reviews and previews and what not, I think it's a waste of my time and zero respect towards my effort that everything gets deleted after the end of the season.

btw I messaged the moderators and so far no one has given me a good reason why they automatically assume that a review is incomplete just because you haven't watched the last episode.
I used to be a 3D lover like you... But then I took an arrow to the heart.
Nov 20, 2016 2:45 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
lovelyangel666 said:
btw I messaged the moderators and so far no one has given me a good reason why they automatically assume that a review is incomplete just because you haven't watched the last episode.
Well if you make a review without watching the whole show, then you won't be basing your analysis on the entire span of the anime, which a review is technically supposed to do. And if you just update a review written earlier once the show has ended (and thus make yours "up to date" so to speak), then you're still left with the fact that any upvotes you got prior to updating it won't really be legitimate anymore, as what they upvoted is something else from what the review now contains. So for fairness' sake, it should be reset to 0 first, which is effectively the same as just deleting it and reuploading it. So I think it makes sense
Nov 20, 2016 8:25 PM

Sep 2012
I would like to sign up.^^
Nov 20, 2016 8:46 PM

Apr 2015
Yup I would like a reminder. Will probably do a review/analysis of Shelter.
Nov 20, 2016 9:01 PM

Oct 2015
Forgotten_Memo said:
Yup I would like a reminder. Will probably do a review/analysis of Shelter.

inb4 fanboy :3
Nov 21, 2016 2:28 AM
Jul 2018
I'd like to sign up too! ^^
Nov 21, 2016 9:57 AM

Mar 2015
I'd like to sign up ~

Nov 22, 2016 12:43 AM

Oct 2016
Definitely going to sign up ^^
Check out my blog - Very new and a work in progress ~
Nov 22, 2016 1:44 AM

Sep 2007
HaXXspetten said:
Well if you make a review without watching the whole show, then you won't be basing your analysis on the entire span of the anime, which a review is technically supposed to do.And if you just update a review written earlier once the show has ended (and thus make yours "up to date" so to speak), then you're still left with the fact that any upvotes you got prior to updating it won't really be legitimate anymore, as what they upvoted is something else from what the review now contains.

The thing is, with some shows (even more so in the last few years) you can base your opinion on the first half of the show and it will still be valid for the rest of the show because the overall feel hasn't changed (except in rare cases like, let's say Samurai Flamenco). A review isn't a retelling of the show, there's a synopsis for that. It contains your perspective, no spoilers, and should serve for people to make up their mind whether they want to watch it or not.

As for votes.. it hasn't changed much as before (i.e. upvoting your friends, downvoting all the rests, only now there're no downvote trolls) and I've seen a decent amount of atrociously written reviews (zero grammar, style, punctuation, etc.) being on top of the list. It's only a personal observation but the voting system is kind of a myth and many good reviews remain buried.

HaXXspetten said:
So for fairness' sake, it should be reset to 0 first, which is effectively the same as just deleting it and reuploading it. So I think it makes sense

That is something with which I can agree, but when you take into account you can Ctrl + C Ctrl + V the same text, it's only fair about the votes being tallied. But there's zero consideration about the person who wrote it and the people who took their time reading it.
Nov 22, 2016 2:07 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
@lovelyangel666
Yeah it's still far from perfect, but you at least have to make some sort of consistent ruleset that applies for any anime. So while it's true that you can more or less judge some shows without finishing them (like plotless comedies/moe shows etc), the same is obviously not true for all anime, and it'd be extremely difficult to moderate every entry in MAL's database on a case-by-case basis. The staff team would have to actually watch the shows in order to be able to say if an early judging could be accurate or not, which is obviously unreasonable to ask, especially considering how small the review mod team is already. But even if you were hypothetically able to do so, it'd still end up very subjective in the end. There would be many shows which some people will argue you have to finish to be able to analyze properly, whereas others would say the opposite. In order to have a proper review guideline system, every entry would have to be based on unarguable objective facts rather than any subjective interpretations, so that system wouldn't really work

If it was up to me, the changes I would make to the current MAL review system are:

1) Remove all scores from reviews. They only make people judge reviews by the numbers you give the show rather than actually read the text, which both counteracts the purpose of reviewing in the first place, but also since everyone has different rating systems, the exact scores will mean different things for different people anyway so you can't really draw any good conclusions from it regardless. And if some users still really want to have scores for some reason, then you can still just include that in the review itself. So there's no downside to doing this

2) Track all upvotes so that you can see what users voted for which reviews. This way any obvious abuse will be noticable (though not to the same extent anymore after they removed the downvote button)

3) Add some sort of short mandatory feedback system when voting. I.E: when you upvote something, you also have to shortly say why you upvoted it. These comments should be visible in some dropdown tab on the review page similar to how the current recommendations section works. That way people will be discouraged from using 10+ alt accounts to go around upvoting all their reviews as they for one would have to put a lot more effort into it (which trolls rarely want to do), but also if they just copy paste the same thing from every account's feedback then that'll also be easily noticable as abuse and thus you can report it. At the same time it will also encourage people to actually provide constructive criticism to each other in a quick and easy way without having to go to the author's profile and start a private conversation if you just want to comment on his/her review
Nov 22, 2016 2:12 AM

Oct 2015
make reviews great again
Nov 22, 2016 7:35 AM

May 2015
HaXXspetten said:
@lovelyangel666
Yeah it's still far from perfect, but you at least have to make some sort of consistent ruleset that applies for any anime. So while it's true that you can more or less judge some shows without finishing them (like plotless comedies/moe shows etc), the same is obviously not true for all anime, and it'd be extremely difficult to moderate every entry in MAL's database on a case-by-case basis. The staff team would have to actually watch the shows in order to be able to say if an early judging could be accurate or not, which is obviously unreasonable to ask, especially considering how small the review mod team is already. But even if you were hypothetically able to do so, it'd still end up very subjective in the end. There would be many shows which some people will argue you have to finish to be able to analyze properly, whereas others would say the opposite. In order to have a proper review guideline system, every entry would have to be based on unarguable objective facts rather than any subjective interpretations, so that system wouldn't really work

If it was up to me, the changes I would make to the current MAL review system are:

1) Remove all scores from reviews. They only make people judge reviews by the numbers you give the show rather than actually read the text, which both counteracts the purpose of reviewing in the first place, but also since everyone has different rating systems, the exact scores will mean different things for different people anyway so you can't really draw any good conclusions from it regardless. And if some users still really want to have scores for some reason, then you can still just include that in the review itself. So there's no downside to doing this

2) Track all upvotes so that you can see what users voted for which reviews. This way any obvious abuse will be noticable (though not to the same extent anymore after they removed the downvote button)

3) Add some sort of short mandatory feedback system when voting. I.E: when you upvote something, you also have to shortly say why you upvoted it. These comments should be visible in some dropdown tab on the review page similar to how the current recommendations section works. That way people will be discouraged from using 10+ alt accounts to go around upvoting all their reviews as they for one would have to put a lot more effort into it (which trolls rarely want to do), but also if they just copy paste the same thing from every account's feedback then that'll also be easily noticable as abuse and thus you can report it. At the same time it will also encourage people to actually provide constructive criticism to each other in a quick and easy way without having to go to the author's profile and start a private conversation if you just want to comment on his/her review

Great ideas! The feedback system is the best one of the three. Often times, I've wanted to know why a review was useful and, if not, how to improve my it.
Nov 25, 2016 1:25 AM

Sep 2007
@HaXXspetten

Giving scores overall is a bit retarded in the first place, instead of having a simple loved/like/did not like/etc. system like in the episode discussion polls but it's still a necessary evil as a reference value, for sometimes the reviews are too objective to make sure whether the person liked it or not.

In addition to the points you made, I think a simple solution would be to have an additional paragraph on top of the review that says which part of the show you reviewed: 1-4, 1-8, etc. whole season and, auto-tallying the scores to zero at the end of the season (so that would exclude unfairly earned votes if you edited the review). That way both previews, reviews and whatever you want can make it and people can choose from the variety which they want to read. You might ask, why would I want to read someone's preview on the first 4 episodes? Because you might need a general perspective and you might not want to spoil yourself beyond this.
Dec 16, 2016 11:11 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well I promised I'd send out reminders as the end of the season started to approach and so I hereby will

As far as I know the last anime to end for this season is Flip Flappers on the afternoon of Thursday the 29th of December. So since I want to give some slight margin for people to write things up for everything, just to make it easy, I'm going to make the submission deadline the end of the year, I.E. December 31st. So everyone has about 2 weeks to work with at the time of writing this. I won't be too picky with time zones though; as long as I'll have it by the time I wake up on the morning of January 1st it's alright

The rules are still the same as what I stated earlier; see this post for the details:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1478090&show=150#msg48624839

Aaaand just going to tag those who already signed up (for reminders at the very least), though hopefully I can get a couple more to join in the final weeks

@benkarN
@Melody
@BlueSkylarK
@gnerkus
@Scarlett_ryuken
@vladkob
@lovelyangel666
@lab_coat
@Forgotten_Memo
@moissi
@MrBouBou
@RainShift
Dec 17, 2016 2:08 AM

Aug 2016
How many show should we do reviews on? :s

Dec 17, 2016 2:14 AM

Oct 2015
benkarN said:

as many as you want

im writing like 6
Dec 17, 2016 2:19 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
benkarN said:
That's completely up to you. I'm doing 4 or 5 I think, but if you just want to do 1 that's totally fine too
Dec 18, 2016 6:41 AM

Sep 2016
Add me!! im into it!!!
Dec 26, 2016 1:56 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Aight here's the final reminder that the submission deadline for the Fall Review Event is the 31st of December (I.E: the end of the year). The rules are still the same as mentioned earlier:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1478090&show=150#msg48624839

Anything that ended during Fall is eligible. Shows continuing throughout next season are not (yet). Anyone wanting to participate, just PM me whatever reviews you've done before the end of the year

@benkarN
@Melody
@BlueSkylarK
@gnerkus
@Scarlett_ryuken
@vladkob
@lovelyangel666
@lab_coat
@Forgotten_Memo
@moissi
@MrBouBou
@RainShift
@CADAEMOS
@MozillaFennekin (just taking the liberty to tag you in case you're interested since I've seen you share some reviews on Discord already :P)
Dec 26, 2016 7:02 PM

Oct 2015
firstly, eww DP

2nd, ima just keep it real and write like 4 reviews, since meh
Dec 26, 2016 8:33 PM

Apr 2015
I think i may have to pull out unfortunately. I'm too busy handling other stuff to write my review by the deadline as planned. :( I may post it afterwards if I have time though.
Jan 5, 2017 7:57 AM

Jul 2015
I made a review so I guess I'll post it here. Feedback is appreciated since this is my first time in a long while writing a review.
https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=237487
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Spring 2024 Power Ranking Committee Sign-ups

Hibbington - Mar 13

43 by Jozuwa-_- »»
8 hours ago

Sticky: » 【Anime Guild】Discord Invitation Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hibbington - Aug 7, 2016

1280 by Hibbington »»
Apr 17, 10:19 AM

Sticky: » ❤~Staff Thread~❤ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mikochondria - Sep 19, 2014

1164 by RisaK »»
Apr 15, 1:31 PM

» [CLOSED] Winter 2024 AOTS Card Edition: BokuYaba Season 2

coziitsu - Apr 9

28 by coziitsu »»
Apr 14, 6:15 AM

Sticky: » [Toriyama Class] Power Ranking Committee Winter 2024: Part 4/4 FINALE

KANLen09 - Apr 9

1 by KANLen09 »»
Apr 9, 9:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.