Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 5, 2016 4:22 AM

Jul 2016
Natsume Yuujinchou is arguably my favorite anime series out there, yet the first episode of Go felt rushed and underdeveloped. I read somewhere that it was because they tried to cram a bunch of chapters into an episode in order to reintroduce the viewers. Do you guys think the show will keep doing this? I sincerely hope not, but, it seems like a strong possibility to me.

I can see that a lot of people are loving this show already, so most of you probably aren't concerned about this. But, what do you guys think?
Oct 5, 2016 5:36 AM

Feb 2010
I agree. First episode felt it was written all over the place. It felt rushed and transition of the scenes was kind of weird. The Takashi's foster parents are also out of their character. I seriously had a bad feeling about this which I put off watching this till now. It turns out episode 1 is a disappointment.

Let us hope they don't do this again for the next episodes.
Oct 5, 2016 10:45 AM
Jun 2012
It feels very different, indeed. Like all the pieces are there, but they don't fit together anymore.
Oct 5, 2016 12:19 PM

Dec 2015
Didn't feel too different to me. But that might be because I watched the previous seasons when they were airing - which means it is already some time ago so I can't really compare without rewatching (and I usually never rewatch).

That 1st episode didn't make me cry - wasn't that emotional. But for previous seasons the story already felt different for each episodes (some where a lot better than others) - depends on the story they tell. Next episode with the little-girl-youkai could already be a lot better.
Oct 5, 2016 11:41 PM
Jun 2015
I don't know what you guys are talking about. It felt like a NY episode to me.
Oct 5, 2016 11:55 PM

Oct 2012
Same old Natsume, first episode is always a little different as it's still trying to appeal to new audience, things will get normal from now on
Oct 6, 2016 1:11 AM

Jan 2015
Well of course since the original staff of this series literally made a relatively new studio and are using this series along with DRRR for return revenues from their losses. Idk if they will fail but I hope they wont. Still crossing my fingers for a Princess Jellyfish 2nd season done by them
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Oct 30, 2016 10:13 AM

Dec 2012
Natsume Yuujinchou Go so far has been fantastic, I'm just eager for the episodes to be more episodic; focusing more on random youkai encounters. Dunno what most of you guys are talking about, it still feels the same.
Uber_DewberOct 30, 2016 10:25 AM
Oct 30, 2016 11:16 AM

Jul 2016
Uber_Dewber said:
Natsume Yuujinchou Go so far has been fantastic, I'm just eager for the episodes to be more episodic; focusing more on random youkai encounters. Dunno what most of you guys are talking about, it still feels the same.

I can't agree with that. The quality has dropped significantly in my eyes. I'm only speaking from watching the first episode though. Going to wait until it's finished so I can binge watch the rest.
Oct 30, 2016 11:29 AM

May 2009
The only difference for me is Natsume's character, I recall him as being more detached and easygoing, which contributed a lot to the show's mellow mood imo. Though I prefer the older Natsume, I'm not complaining, the change can be attributed to the strong underlying character development throughout the seasons, which isn't a bad thing.

Otherwise, I think the show remains the same and the quality has been consistent. I'm hoping we return soon to the more episodic template though.
Nov 1, 2016 12:05 PM

Dec 2012
OurLittleHome said:
Uber_Dewber said:

I can't agree with that. The quality has dropped significantly in my eyes. I'm only speaking from watching the first episode though. Going to wait until it's finished so I can binge watch the rest.
I don't agree with your entire thread then if you've only seen the first episode. Natsume as a character has developed a bit more since the last season; that is the only difference I've spotted. I do agree with binge watching though, I'm always left wanting more after each episode.
Nov 2, 2016 3:46 AM
Aug 2014
Alright i think you guys are being a bit too harsh. Episode 2 and Episode 5 has the normal feeling. It's just the arc episodes. That happened in Natsume San as well.
Nov 2, 2016 7:18 AM

Aug 2010
It's the same Natsume Yuujinchou. Episode 1, 2 and 5 reaffirm this. It's just that the animation is different (for the worst, if you watch episode 3), but it's the same show as always. With those beautiful stories, music, characters and scenery.
Nov 2, 2016 9:44 AM

Jul 2016
Uber_Dewber said:
OurLittleHome said:

I don't agree with your entire thread then if you've only seen the first episode. Natsume as a character has developed a bit more since the last season; that is the only difference I've spotted. I do agree with binge watching though, I'm always left wanting more after each episode.

I made the thread when there wasn't a second episode yet.

I'm not a time traveler, lmao.
Nov 2, 2016 9:45 AM

Jul 2016
sweetdrops said:
It's the same Natsume Yuujinchou. Episode 1, 2 and 5 reaffirm this. It's just that the animation is different (for the worst, if you watch episode 3), but it's the same show as always. With those beautiful stories, music, characters and scenery.

I don't agree with your thoughts on episode 1, since I strongly disliked it but I can't disagree about the rest since I haven't seen them yet.

Episode 1 felt forced, rushed, and characters acted in ways they usually don't. I'm glad to see people are enjoying it, though. I hope I can get back into it again.
Nov 2, 2016 10:16 AM

Aug 2010
OurLittleHome said:
sweetdrops said:

I don't agree with your thoughts on episode 1, since I strongly disliked it but I can't disagree about the rest since I haven't seen them yet.

Episode 1 felt forced, rushed, and characters acted in ways they usually don't. I'm glad to see people are enjoying it, though. I hope I can get back into it again.

While I agree with you about it being rushed (it wasn't the best way to start the season), yet it didn't feel like it was not a Natsume Yuujinchou episode. But that's just my opinion.
Anyway, I hope episode 2 and 5 can change your mind. You'll see with those two how this series is just the same as always ^^ and I hope it can make you love this series as much as the previous season.
Nov 2, 2016 5:04 PM

Jan 2015
EP 5 has restored my faith in the series. Not to say I was feeling completely hopeless, but EP 3 was especially rough.
Dec 6, 2016 1:29 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Interesting that you think it's too different. Personally I find it to be too much of the same, and hence less interesting. Like I really don't understand why this season is rated so high when it clearly doesn't hold a candle to seasons 2 and 3. I mean it's still good old Natsume with all of its other fun characters and shit, but the episodes neither have the emotional oomph of seasons 1 and 2 nor the character development of seasons 3 and 4 (though I guess Matoba and Natori have finally seen some this season—too bad I don't really care about either of those two). In my opinion the series peaked twice: once in mid-season 2, and the second time around late season 3 which, in my opinion, had the best balance of interesting storylines and emotional impact. Since then the show has taken a more arc-driven narrative with the singular episodes being less interesting in general.

Right now the show just beats around the bush a lot, reiterating some of the earlier episodes' plots (something that was partly present in season 4 as well). And in particular, the "ohhh, I'm so afraid my family learn of my ability, I better come up with some horrible excuses that'd only make me look more suspicious had this been the real world!" cliche is getting annoying for how incredibly overused it is by this point; it's almost comical.

(Also, fox shota youkai best youkai.)
Dec 9, 2016 3:53 PM

Dec 2010
Luthandorius said:
Didn't feel too different to me. But that might be because I watched the previous seasons when they were airing - which means it is already some time ago so I can't really compare without rewatching (and I usually never rewatch).

That 1st episode didn't make me cry - wasn't that emotional. But for previous seasons the story already felt different for each episodes (some where a lot better than others) - depends on the story they tell. Next episode with the little-girl-youkai could already be a lot better.

I watched the entire series in September and I can tell that people who disapprove of the first episode and of this season are mostly people who are nostalgic of the series.

They might forget that even though it more or less disrupts the flow, every season's first episode tries to reintroduce the characters.

Because I watched all of it at once and right before the start of season 5, I can say that this one flows perfectly with the rest of the series. It is episodic so there is no way that I can call a certain season better than the others, although Taki's introduction, the dragon child and the mirror fragments were among my favourites moments in the series. I would say that the episode with the owl youkai is my favourite in this one. I also think that just like season 4, this one is centered too much around the exorcists. It doesn't mean that it's bad, it's just that I prefer the episodes with the good youkai (fox youkai is the best).

moozooh said:
Interesting that you think it's too different. Personally I find it to be too much of the same, and hence less interesting. Like I really don't understand why this season is rated so high when it clearly doesn't hold a candle to seasons 2 and 3. I mean it's still good old Natsume with all of its other fun characters and shit, but the episodes neither have the emotional oomph of seasons 1 and 2 nor the character development of seasons 3 and 4 (though I guess Matoba and Natori have finally seen some this season—too bad I don't really care about either of those two). In my opinion the series peaked twice: once in mid-season 2, and the second time around late season 3 which, in my opinion, had the best balance of interesting storylines and emotional impact. Since then the show has taken a more arc-driven narrative with the singular episodes being less interesting in general.

Right now the show just beats around the bush a lot, reiterating some of the earlier episodes' plots (something that was partly present in season 4 as well). And in particular, the "ohhh, I'm so afraid my family learn of my ability, I better come up with some horrible excuses that'd only make me look more suspicious had this been the real world!" cliche is getting annoying for how incredibly overused it is by this point; it's almost comical.

(Also, fox shota youkai best youkai.)

Yes, I agree with most of what you said, but to me, there is no OLD Natsume. Just like you said, it's all the same and even though there is not enough character development, the one-off episodes about youkai are just as good, even though I would like a two-parter just about now. However, I'm sure that except the first episode, the problem comes from the original content rather than the adaptation, since the series still retains the same tone as before.
Sacrificing sleep and sanity for more anime-induced dopamine.
Dec 10, 2016 10:29 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Insanitium said:
I also think that just like season 4, this one is centered too much around the exorcists. It doesn't mean that it's bad, it's just that I prefer the episodes with the good youkai.

Hey, yeah, this is a very good point, actually. Introducing some more recurring good youkai cast, or at least seeing the old ones develop and interact more with Natsume and his schoolmates, would be satisfying to see. There's clearly not enough of either of those this season.
Dec 10, 2016 11:51 AM

Dec 2012
OurLittleHome said:
Uber_Dewber said:

I made the thread when there wasn't a second episode yet.

I'm not a time traveler, lmao.
The point at the time was that you made a thread claiming it was "too different" when there was only 1 episode out. That's what's funny.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2016

89 by shippidge »»
Mar 17, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2016

134 by Meritas »»
Jan 2, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2016

61 by Meritas »»
Dec 25, 2023 9:57 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2016

152 by Meritas »»
Sep 29, 2023 7:54 AM

Poll: » Natsume Yuujinchou Go Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2016

68 by Cieling_phan »»
Jul 19, 2023 1:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.