Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is Yuri on Ice actually gay or queerbait?
Most likely queerbait
33.1%
Probably turn out gay
66.9%
2,213 votes
Oct 27, 2016 12:10 PM

Feb 2016
Also shounen ai or whatever you wanna call it but I prefer the term gay. I have seen a bunch of discussions (not on MAL) about this lately so thought I would make my own. So after only 4 episodes we can't really say for sure its queerbait or gay, but a bunch of fangirls already act like, like its canon (on tumblr anyways) so I thought I would listen to some more opinions about it that are hopefully not only controlled by their feelings, so from an objective stand point what you guys think?

Personally I think its the same bullshit Black butler, Free and a lot of other sports anime have been doing for years, so Idk why everyone is calling it 'revolutionary' or how it will surprise us all like No.6 when all the interactions between the two MCs have been sexualized and you need to be blind to not actually notice thats just fanservice to get the ladies wet. Don't get me wrong I still ship Viktor and Yuuri but I won't get my hopes up for another gay ship just to be disappointed later.

Edit: Since some people genuinly don't know what queerbait means I'm going to leave a definition here:

queerbait
(noun)
a person who attracts the interest of gay people; a person who has gay mannerisms but claims to be straight; also spelled queer bait

The above is a official definition found in dictionaries, but basically its using gay fanservice with characters that are not gay themselves for straight people.

EDIT 2: This thread was made when the anime only had 3-4 episodes there is no need to tell everybody what happened in the episode 10 and in the end, we have already seen it, HOWEVER that doesn't mean its not queerbait everyone can have whatever opinion they want, if people feel like the ''romance'' was not sufficient overall in the whole anime it could be easily queerbait.
LyrelDec 22, 2016 3:50 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (18) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 27, 2016 12:15 PM

Mar 2015
Most likely just another queerbait.
Oct 27, 2016 12:23 PM

Aug 2013
I don't see any difference between the two options
Oct 27, 2016 12:25 PM
Jul 2018
It's super obviously bait. As OP said, same thing that happened with Free and basically all sports anime in existence.
Oct 27, 2016 12:29 PM
Apr 2014
i think there's potential for substance for yoi, simply because of the dynamics between yuuri and viktor (as long as you look past the gay undertones). as much as i like free and black butler, i don't believe that yoi is like that at all.

free was literally about swimming and finding yourself, with a shitton of fanservice. sure, the main theme was friendship and reaching your dreams, but you gotta like the characters to appreciate what they're going to.

black butler is plot heavy, not too worried about artistic creativity except to make sebastian look hot for the fangirls, and there was much less gay undertones unless people really, REALLY wanted to see it. because for me, shipping a grown, ancient ass demon with a naive and fucked up 13 year old just doesn't really ring "OH YAH ROMANCE" to me.

yoi, though, is more than that. i mean, you can watch the anime however you want and take whatever you want away from it; you can either wait in hungry anticipation for some gay fucking, or you can appreciate that fact, move past it, and see what they're really doing to each other and what they mean for each other. yuuri sees viktor as an inspiration and someone to be one day, and he wants to help viktor find his inpiration in turn. viktor, aside from using yuuri as a motivation to skate again, wants to help yuuri, and it's shown through his genuine care he has for yuuri (ie listening to yuuri's problems, being excited as yuuri with a breakthough, etc.)

i wouldn't call yoi revolutionary, but it's refreshing in its own way if you want to let go of your grudge as the same "bullshit as other sports anime" and really read into the characters a little more. it can be hard, especially with the naked onsen scenes, but i really do think that yoi can be something really special if you give it a chance.
Oct 27, 2016 12:29 PM

Aug 2013
I mean, there's also a lot of yuribait that doesn't turn out to be yuri, I don't
really see the problem. Yurifags mostly do the same as fujoshi fandom.
In any case, Japan is very heteronormative specially touching men
relationships, so I doubt we will se a couple at the end.
At least they are not doing all the Sakamichi no Apollon bullshit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2016 12:30 PM

Sep 2012
Lyrel said:

Personally I think its the same bullshit Black butler, Free and a lot of other sports anime have been doing for years

As First Speaker of Baiters I call this as bait.

@EcchiLordMamster
Oct 27, 2016 12:45 PM

Nov 2010
I am enjoying it as a bait show and nothing more. I'll reserve defining it as anything else till the end. If any of the subtext becomes actual gay relationships, then it moves from bait to actual shounen ai.

Now is yuri on ice more blatant with it's queerbait then a lot of shows the OP mentioned? Yes, yes it is.
Oct 27, 2016 12:49 PM

Sep 2015
I'd say the same. It's definitely one of those shows that lures the fujo and fudan. Although, unlike other queerbaiting anime, I feel like Yuri on Ice have a different approach take on homoeroticism (ie they are very expressive in terms of intimacy, no implied stuff, just straight up.. Or should I say 'gay' up). It's a little bit too early to decide whether this anime is a yaoi (or shounen ai, BL, etc). But it is pretty gay. In fact, I do quite enjoy it.
OP, I think this anime is "revolutionary" not because of the queerbaiting, it's actually how the anime tackled gender roles. Also to note that figure skating isn't an easy or 'girly' sport, it actually requires a lot of stamina. You need a lot of dedication, and training. It's pretty intensive and is a long process to become a pro at it.

This trend that this show seems to have, especially in episode 4, was that those intimate scenes were so blatant people can tell that it was for the fanservice. I don't know, I could be wrong, maybe Viktor swings that way... But that has not been declared yet.

There was something else that made me reluctant to admit Viktor and Yuuri, if they will eventually become lovers. Sure I'll support them if things will go 'that' way. Though, it's the fact that both characters were inspired by real-life people. The other day, some rude fans of this anime demanded Plushenko (the person that Viktor was apparently based off) to "divorce his wife and find a Japanese guy". Unacceptable. The fanbase is pretty cancerous. I'm pretty sure that Keijo's fans are tamer than this anime's.
I won't be surprised anymore if there was a mass crowd of Yuri on Ice fanboys/girls ruining the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang. I feel sorry for Hanyu-san and Plushenko... Oh and Yulia too.

I don't really care if this anime is gay, but Phichit-kun has blessed my soul in the purest way and that's what we should talk about
ChaldeneOct 27, 2016 1:34 PM
Oct 27, 2016 12:54 PM

Nov 2008
HikiMaru said:
I'd say the same. It's definitely one of those shows that lures the fujo and fudan. Although, unlike other queerbaiting anime, I feel like Yuri on Ice have a different approach take on homoeroticism (ie they are very expressive in terms of intimacy, no implied stuff, just straight up.. Or should I say 'gay' up).
OP, I think this anime is "revolutionary" not because of the queerbaiting, it's actually how the anime tackled gender roles. Also to note that figure skating isn't an easy or 'girly' sport, it actually requires a lot of stamina.

This trend that this show seems to have, especially in episode 4, was that those intimate scenes were so blatant people can tell that it was for the fanservice. I don't know, I could be wrong, maybe Viktor swings that way... But that has not been declared yet.

There was something else that made me reluctant to accept Viktor and Yuuri, if they will eventually become lovers. It's the fact that both characters were inspired by real-life people. The other day, some rude fans of this anime demanded Plushenko (the person that Viktor was apparently based off) to "divorce his wife and find a Japanese guy". Unacceptable. The fanbase is pretty cancerous. I'm pretty sure that Keijo's fans are tamer than this anime's.
I won't be surprised anymore if there was a mass crowd of Yuri on Ice fanboys/girls ruining the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang. I feel sorry for Hanyu-san and Plushenko... Oh and Yulia too.

I don't really care if this anime is gay, but Phichit-kun has blessed my soul in the purest way and that's what we should talk about

Fujoshi in Japan can be vicious at times.

Oct 27, 2016 12:55 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
sasalx said:
Lyrel said:

Personally I think its the same bullshit Black butler, Free and a lot of other sports anime have been doing for years

@EcchiLordMamster

yea man, well at least the fujobait fans who were constantly bashing ecchi can get a sense of irony

although im not a fujobasher and am not condemning the ones who didn't bash ecchi
Oct 27, 2016 12:58 PM

Mar 2015
I'm really 1000% sure that it is 'just' queerbait. And I honestly don't understand the fans, who make this out to be substantially different than the rest of the queerbait sports shows. I don't see a reason so far.

If YoI really ends with a CANON GAY COUPLE I will delete me account. The bet is on!!!
Oct 27, 2016 12:59 PM

Sep 2015
Hoppy said:

Fujoshi in Japan can be vicious at times.

Well, to be truthful, Fujoshi in general are pretty vicious. That's why I left the BL community. It's such a disgrace.
Oct 27, 2016 1:02 PM
Jul 2018
This anime is very revolutionary! It's going to revolutionize the world!
Oct 27, 2016 1:06 PM
Jul 2018
Haven't watched it yet, but if it is like Free i will make the assumption it is just queerbait.
Oct 27, 2016 1:16 PM

Jul 2015
I'm not going to watch it
but I hope they give the fans what they want instead of baiting them ( exactly like in hibike )
Oct 27, 2016 1:26 PM

Feb 2016
Helenus said:
I'm really 1000% sure that it is 'just' queerbait. And I honestly don't understand the fans, who make this out to be substantially different than the rest of the queerbait sports shows. I don't see a reason so far.

If YoI really ends with a CANON GAY COUPLE I will delete me account. The bet is on!!!

Exactly my thoughts, if this turns out genuine gay and not some kind of "I accidently kissed him and I liked it" imma go and never return to this site
Oct 27, 2016 1:27 PM

Feb 2016
Lord_Sithis said:
This anime is very revolutionary! It's going to revolutionize the world!

Lol I know I watched it like 5 times by now, but the plot from yoi is far from being as good as this one
Oct 27, 2016 1:29 PM

Mar 2016
Yeah, but that artwork during the skating, tho...
Mrs. Landingham, what's next?
Oct 27, 2016 1:32 PM

Jan 2014
If you've seen discussions on it then why bother making more?
Follow the mal rules OP, or get better ideas for a forum topic regarding this series.
Oct 27, 2016 1:36 PM

Jan 2014
we got yuri bait, yaoi bait. oh and also straight bait (boku no pico(
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Oct 27, 2016 1:36 PM

Mar 2016
It would already be known if it were actually shounen-ai, but it's not listed as such, so of course it's just a show for teasing and nothing more.
(As a lover of shounen-ai and yaoi, I sincerely hate things like this lol. I'd like them to be gay or not, not in-between.)
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Oct 27, 2016 1:37 PM
May 2016
It's bait but it doesn't matter since the show is great either way.
Oct 27, 2016 1:37 PM

May 2010
Idk why people call this kind of shows "queerbait"? It's obviously fujoshi bait
Oct 27, 2016 1:39 PM

Feb 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
sasalx said:

@EcchiLordMamster

yea man, well at least the fujobait fans who were constantly bashing ecchi can get a sense of irony

although im not a fujobasher and am not condemning the ones who didn't bash ecchi

I bash ecchi and I deserved better than this smh :/

-just kidding-

its less about the fanservice but more about the fact that people actually believe that they should be a couple because they practiced naked together in hot springs...
Oct 27, 2016 1:40 PM

Feb 2016
Bowie said:
If you've seen discussions on it then why bother making more?
Follow the mal rules OP, or get better ideas for a forum topic regarding this series.

Did you actually read it? I saw it on tumblr not here

but it doesn't really matter cuz I searched the forum and found nothing similar soo yeah
LyrelOct 27, 2016 1:49 PM
Oct 27, 2016 1:48 PM

Aug 2016
Honestly, I don't mind the gay vibes as I am used to it because I've read and watched a lot of anime which includes BL. I can definitely say if Yuri on Ice is gonna be gay, it's in a different matter compared to general BL shows/manga.

Overall however, I enjoy the show for it's plot, it's portrayal of media, the competition and also what it truly looks like to loose something that you may not be able to do again. Yuri on Ice to me is a pretty unique sports anime and I'm not going to drop it anytime soon, nor will i drop it if it does become gay. Honestly, just because they are in the hot springs together doesn't mean they love each other, it's common in Japan for males and females to do that.
Ghost-TownOct 27, 2016 1:52 PM
Oct 27, 2016 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
guulaash said:
Boku no Pico is straight bait 100%. Also best anime ever, and modern shitty casual anime should learn from the masterpiece that Boku no Pico is.
Oct 27, 2016 1:55 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
With no argument needed, I could post you up to 5 pics out of context to explain why it's gay.

Oct 27, 2016 2:00 PM

Jan 2014
Lord_Sithis said:
guulaash said:
Boku no Pico is straight bait 100%. Also best anime ever, and modern shitty casual anime should learn from the masterpiece that Boku no Pico is.
what better way to give people a gendershock than wih straight bait?
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Oct 27, 2016 2:01 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Lyrel said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

-just kidding-

its less about the fanservice but more about the fact that people actually believe that they should be a couple because they practiced naked together in hot springs...

i have no idea what you're talking about cause i don't watch Yuri on ice lol xD

you better not be bashing ecchi... the only thing to bash is my hand against my dick
Oct 27, 2016 2:08 PM

Feb 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
Lyrel said:

-just kidding-

you better not be bashing ecchi... the only thing to bash is my hand against my dick

Lmao dude what are you even doing here xD
Oct 27, 2016 2:09 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Lyrel said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

i was linked here for the possibility that this thread may be bait... lol
Oct 27, 2016 2:10 PM

Feb 2016
guulaash said:
Lord_Sithis said:
what better way to give people a gendershock than wih straight bait?

Lol the discourse this thread is taking tho
Oct 27, 2016 2:13 PM
Oct 2016
Lolsebca said:
With no argument needed, I could post you up to 5 pics out of context to explain why it's gay.

Go ahead, I want a a gay show so bad... But I'm not sure about this one. That would help me a lot
Oct 27, 2016 2:16 PM

Feb 2016
MelodyElodie said:
Honestly, I don't mind the gay vibes as I am used to it because I've read and watched a lot of anime which includes BL. I can definitely say if Yuri on Ice is gonna be gay, it's in a different matter compared to general BL shows/manga.

Overall however, I enjoy the show for it's plot, it's portrayal of media, the competition and also what it truly looks like to loose something that you may not be able to do again. Yuri on Ice to me is a pretty unique sports anime and I'm not going to drop it anytime soon, nor will i drop it if it does become gay. Honestly, just because they are in the hot springs together doesn't mean they love each other, it's common in Japan for males and females to do that.

I also enjoy this anime and I wouldn't mind if they become a couple but I'm wondering why a good 90% of people who watched it claim it as " canon gay" when everything we have seen so far is just over the top fanservice
Oct 27, 2016 2:19 PM

Feb 2016
LOVELIVEISLIFE said:
Lolsebca said:

Go ahead, I want a a gay show so bad... But I'm not sure about this one. That would help me a lot

-you mean fanservice pictures and its no proof that they are actually gay-
Oct 27, 2016 2:22 PM
Oct 2016
Lyrel said:
LOVELIVEISLIFE said:

-you mean fanservice pictures and its no proof that they are actually gay-

I know it's not actually gonna happen, but I'm drunk and it's like 3 am
Oct 27, 2016 2:25 PM

Sep 2016
victor is dying and want to use his remaining life to coach yuri
victor collapse, carried to hospital
victor's illness found out by yuri
victor confess his love to yuri at the rooftop of hospital
yuri and victor promise to skate together
victor near-dead and getting operation
yuri perform at grand prix final while thinking about dying victor in operation room
victor died at the same time yuri finished skating
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 27, 2016 2:31 PM

Sep 2012
GangsterCat said:
yuri perform at grand prix final while thinking about dying victor in operation room

Wait wait wait.I know a similar plot...

Well done.
Oct 27, 2016 2:35 PM

Feb 2016
GangsterCat said:

Lol I see what you did there, but I don't think it will be actual that dark
Oct 27, 2016 2:40 PM

Feb 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
Lyrel said:

Ohh I know what you up to too bad tho I'm actually the biggest ecchi basher on this website yet you come to this one thread of mine where I actually don't talk thrash about it lmao
Oct 27, 2016 2:47 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Lyrel said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

Ohh I know what you up to too bad tho I'm actually the biggest ecchi basher on this website yet you come to this one thread of mine where I actually don't talk thrash about it lmao

i didn't come here to bash fujobait lol, i came here to see if i agreed the thread was bait

i don't bash fujobait, fujobait doesn't bother me at all
Oct 27, 2016 2:50 PM

Feb 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
Lyrel said:

i didn't come here to bash fujobait lol, i came here to see if i agreed the thread was bait

Lol I don't mean fujobait I mean ecchi generally

I thought you were looking for people who talk thrash about ecchi xD
Oct 27, 2016 2:51 PM

Sep 2016
Lyrel said:
GangsterCat said:

Lol I see what you did there, but I don't think it will be actual that dark
it will 100% happen, victor already gave his deathflag this episode with thinning hair (cancer)
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 27, 2016 2:53 PM
Nov 2013
This anime is very gay...
Very gay.
;)
Oct 27, 2016 2:53 PM

Jan 2014
Well, it better be gay =_=

or else my whole life was a lie ;_;
Oct 27, 2016 2:56 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Lyrel said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

no, i just fend them off, i don't go looking for them.... -.-
Oct 27, 2016 2:57 PM

May 2015
Quiz question!

I don't like any situation at all involving a group of men cuz I watch anime for the cute girls and I don't like the sports because I watch anime for the brain bashing. So naturally, my most frequent complaints are to anime such as Free! and Yuri on Ice, which are sports and so often have a group of men. I express my disdain with unnecessarily low scores and "fujobait" insults.

Who am I?

Answer
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Oct 27, 2016 3:00 PM

Feb 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
Lyrel said:

EcchiLordMamster said:
Lyrel said:

Lol ok idk man some people have been doing some weird stuff lately I thought you are going to white knight ecchi where ever you appear lmao
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (18) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movie got cancelled

Jackson_rajkumar - Yesterday

22 by Powerchan »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2016

205 by ZolaZodiac »»
Mar 20, 5:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2016

235 by Musical_grl »»
Mar 16, 3:51 PM

Poll: » Do you prefer Eros or Agape?

painiwakura - Feb 24

3 by ShinyChu »»
Mar 16, 8:57 AM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

473 by Musical_grl »»
Mar 9, 8:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.