Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 19, 2016 8:28 PM

Mar 2014
this short is very good.

love the visuals, like the song (so you can just play again the whole video again just to listen it) and the little details (like the numbers of days in the inbox reveals that she was almost 7 years in her simulator).

9/10, is great
Oct 19, 2016 8:40 PM

Jan 2008
I liked it. Easily became a contender as a new favorite. Part of me thinks it could even be made into a short OVA or movie, but this is good as it is.

For some reason, there are a lot of trolls here with shit like "only weebs like this garbage". I truly pity them, because it means their life must really suck if shitposting for no good reason is what gets them off. That, or they're still immature, living with their parents sucking on their mothers tit.

And apparently there is some internet drama debate on wether this is truly an "anime" be definition because of it's removal from reddit anime forums by mods. According to their mods, anime is for Japanese, by Japanese--to paraphrase, and not made by anyone non-Japanese. This was aired to a live audience in Japan (as well as the world online)....made by renown Japanese studio, by Japanese people in Japan...so what's the problem? Well, it also so happens to be partially made outside Japan (the song's producers, and the producers/writers themselves being non-Japanese). But by that definition, the vast majority of current anime cannot be considered "anime" as well, because of outsourcing to South Korea, and sometimes China/Taiwan, or by foreign nationals living and working in Japan. Seriously, look at the credits of any big anime series OP/ED credits, you'll see a lot of Korean names en masse, written in English. The reddit mods are just being incredibly anal about this. It's called a collaboration, deal with it.
Estoy_GordoOct 19, 2016 8:44 PM
Oct 19, 2016 8:56 PM

Nov 2014
Aglaid said:
let's be honest here this was complete garbage. This kind of thing done right can be amazing and this one felt like it just tried to copy those before by it by making it look good but without putting any real thought or effort into it. Try watching Interstella5555, ME!ME!ME!, Furiko or Tsumiki no Ie instead.

comparing this with Interstella5555, an hour long movie, is just dumb. ME!ME!ME! shares

NOTHING

with Shelter on the thematical level. I don't know what Shelter is trying to copy as you allege, but it's definitely not ME!ME!ME!. these two shorts are so different there is nothing stopping you from appreciating both.

I just don't see what crimes Shelter has done. it's a straight forward scifi short that has a twist in narration. it's not trying to be anything else. it's beautiful to look at and I don't see anything wrong with the directing.
Oct 19, 2016 8:59 PM

Apr 2012
damn i was actually spamming this song a few weeks back when it first came out
surprised they made a little anime short for it

pretty kewl

Oct 19, 2016 9:00 PM

Mar 2016
This is truly the best short animation I have seen. Better than MEMEME and Daoko Girl, hands down my favorite.
Oct 19, 2016 9:04 PM

Sep 2014
This looks very good to say the least, but unfortunately the song has pretty much no flavor to me.
Oct 19, 2016 9:25 PM

Aug 2016
Ah, this is the first anime (?) in this season to make me cry.
Loved it.
Oct 19, 2016 9:47 PM

Jun 2015
I thought this was really cool! Music was excellent of course, and the story told through animation was simple but very effective and I thought the pacing was great. Only reason I rated 9 instead of 10 is I still think another studio could have brought that little extra bit of "wow" and uniqueness to the animation. A-1 still did a good job and their typical digital style suits the "electronic music video" thing pretty well.
Oct 19, 2016 10:13 PM

Jun 2012
Tiemuuu said:
Aglaid said:
let's be honest here this was complete garbage. This kind of thing done right can be amazing and this one felt like it just tried to copy those before by it by making it look good but without putting any real thought or effort into it. Try watching Interstella5555, ME!ME!ME!, Furiko or Tsumiki no Ie instead.

comparing this with Interstella5555, an hour long movie, is just dumb. ME!ME!ME! shares

NOTHING

with Shelter on the thematical level. I don't know what Shelter is trying to copy as you allege, but it's definitely not ME!ME!ME!. these two shorts are so different there is nothing stopping you from appreciating both.

I just don't see what crimes Shelter has done. it's a straight forward scifi short that has a twist in narration. it's not trying to be anything else. it's beautiful to look at and I don't see anything wrong with the directing.

Hmm prehaps what I meant to say was with ME!ME!ME! the video and the music accompanied each other very well. The music changes as the tone of the video changes and with Shelter we have a generic EDM song i've heard a 1000 times pasted on to a short anime film that though is visually impressive seems uninspired even from a sci-fi point of view.
Oct 19, 2016 10:15 PM

Sep 2013
Visuals were amazing and the story telling was great. I liked it a lot.

The music however is not my cup of tea. I don't enjoy those types of songs. Still, I enjoyed my viewing.

Oct 19, 2016 10:29 PM
Jun 2015
Holy crap, some of these people calling Shelter "garbage"and "insulting" are exaggerating waaaaay too much.

There is a point that I will concede, that Shelter lacks substance. Well, of course it does, its a 6 minute video for a song. The mere fact that a cohesive, rather emotional story was squeezed into those 6 minutes while still fitting the music was already impressive in and of itself.

The main focus really shouldn't be on the plot, but on the audiovisual content. In fact, the entire reason the video exists is to present it's audiovisual content, and should therefore be judged based on that criterion.

Everything exists for a purpose. all series DO something, every single series exists to put forwards a point. For fanservice-filled crap, it's to make the viewer enjoy themselves. For more complicated works, it's to make the viewer actually stop and consider something. Series like these have morals, they have lessons, they have themes and symbols and complex plot arcs.

AND they're 12-24 episodes long.

Shelter is quite literally a 6 minute video designed to present a song. A SONG. It's entire purpose to exist is to present a song. The mere fact that it manages to fit in any "semblance of a story" at all is actually rather impressive. And you know what? That story was DECENT. It detailed the anguish of the father of a young child as he desperately tries to save her from his dying world, and her loneliness, then pain and later acceptance when she realizes what he had done for her. And it took all of that and condensed it into 6 minutes.

Sure, it used petty tricks. Depending on how you looked at it, it probably even forced emotional responses from the audience with feels all that. But, if you had to tell the same story with the same amount of emotional resonance and depth in a measly 360 seconds, how would you have done it? I'm not saying that there ISN'T a better way to present this, but the way Shelter did it sure as hell wasn't bad.

My arguments will probably get ripped apart and stomped on, but I just feel like some people are expecting waaaaay too much from this music video. I mean, it's meant for enjoyment, and it's only 6 minutes long. It was made for people to look at and enjoy, so don't hate on it and act all cynical.

Sorry for rant, I was feeling salty and I had some time on my hands.
Oct 19, 2016 10:31 PM

Nov 2014
Aglaid said:
Tiemuuu said:

NOTHING

Hmm prehaps what I meant to say was with ME!ME!ME! the video and the music accompanied each other very well. The music changes as the tone of the video changes and with Shelter we have a generic EDM song i've heard a 1000 times pasted on to a short anime film that though is visually impressive seems uninspired even from a sci-fi point of view.

there was more synergy in MEMEME but the comparison is still unfair. MEMEME was more abstract and trippy and the music itself had more tonal shifts. Shelter is trying to tell a straight forward story and the music is more chilled and refrained. the song and the writing simply don't allow for those kinds of things we saw in MEMEME.
Oct 19, 2016 10:57 PM

Jul 2016
This is beautiful, from the music to the visuals. I must say, I enjoyed it.

To my mp3 player it goes~

‏‏‎ ‎

「‏‏‎ artist‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ don't forget to wear your‏‏‎ mask‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 」
Oct 19, 2016 11:28 PM

Jul 2012
Beautiful, one of the better music video shorts I've seen. I feel depressed now.
Oct 20, 2016 1:32 AM

Feb 2008
Animation was good and the story was really touching, but the music was ass tbh.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 20, 2016 1:57 AM

Jun 2013
I don't get the all the fuss about this music video. I mean its cute and it has good animation but wasn't nearly enough to make me feel for the characters or anything like that.

7/10 i guess
Murasa22Oct 20, 2016 12:45 PM
Oct 20, 2016 2:38 AM

Jun 2015
I was wondering how a music video that appeared from nowhere score more than 8 so I decided to watch it. At the beginning, all cool, I see technology and stuff but I still don't get it. The sound isn't anything special (I'm not easily impressed by that kind of singing), until I reached the part when she remembers her memories about her father. That's when everything falls in place. This part made me love the video and give it 8 as well. I'll definitely watch again.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Oct 20, 2016 3:06 AM
Sep 2008
This was so sad! I wished an anime would be made with happy ending..^^
Oct 20, 2016 3:06 AM

Apr 2009
So this is basically a shit modern version of Daicon? Replace ELO with lame electronic music, replace good sakuga and Darth Vader with FEELS and some okay animation and we are good to go, huh.

Oh well, low 5/10. Alright for a music video I guess.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 20, 2016 4:27 AM

Mar 2013
People is really, really funny.

I didn't see any hate on anyone's part when Me!Me!Me! came out and it was fanservice at its purest, yet people here and there seemed to think it was powerful and/or meaningful and stuff, probably just since khara was involved in it and the artist was already known.

Now someone gives us a music video with a coherent narrative and people not only bash it but uses it as a basis of everything that's wrong with the anime medium in salty reviews that are six paragraphs longer than they need to be, probably just because he's an american whatsisname and also lame-ass studio amirite?

Oh well.
Oct 20, 2016 5:43 AM

Nov 2013
WisestOne said:

Seriously, someone who thinks this video is no good, link me to a music 6 minute anime that you would describe as incredible so I have something to compare this video to

Furiko, Mudai, Kanamewo, Tsukimi no Ie, DušaN, Korekuraide Utau, On Your Mark, Airy Me, Jin Sheng Yuan, Umi kara no Shisha, Memory (ONA). Not 6 minute exactly, but all have short episodes.
abystoma2Oct 20, 2016 5:49 AM
You all need to watch Nami.

Oct 20, 2016 5:58 AM

Jul 2014
LeCrazyPanda said:
Holy crap, some of these people calling Shelter "garbage"and "insulting" are exaggerating waaaaay too much.

There is a point that I will concede, that Shelter lacks substance. Well, of course it does, its a 6 minute video for a song. The mere fact that a cohesive, rather emotional story was squeezed into those 6 minutes while still fitting the music was already impressive in and of itself.

The main focus really shouldn't be on the plot, but on the audiovisual content. In fact, the entire reason the video exists is to present it's audiovisual content, and should therefore be judged based on that criterion.

Everything exists for a purpose. all series DO something, every single series exists to put forwards a point. For fanservice-filled crap, it's to make the viewer enjoy themselves. For more complicated works, it's to make the viewer actually stop and consider something. Series like these have morals, they have lessons, they have themes and symbols and complex plot arcs.

Shelter is quite literally a 6 minute video designed to present a song. A SONG. It's entire purpose to exist is to present a song. The mere fact that it manages to fit in any "semblance of a story" at all is actually rather impressive. And you know what? That story was DECENT. It detailed the anguish of the father of a young child as he desperately tries to save her from his dying world, and her loneliness, then pain and later acceptance when she realizes what he had done for her. And it took all of that and condensed it into 6 minutes.

Sure, it used petty tricks. Depending on how you looked at it, it probably even forced emotional responses from the audience with feels all that. But, if you had to tell the same story with the same amount of emotional resonance and depth in a measly 360 seconds, how would you have done it? I'm not saying that there ISN'T a better way to present this, but the way Shelter did it sure as hell wasn't bad.

My arguments will probably get ripped apart and stomped on, but I just feel like some people are expecting waaaaay too much from this music video. I mean, it's meant for enjoyment, and it's only 6 minutes long. It was made for people to look at and enjoy, so don't hate on it and act all cynical.

lol you're looking way too deep, lay off the LSD. Brostep isn't all its cracked up to be.
Oct 20, 2016 6:13 AM

Jul 2007
Gnk said:
People is really, really funny.

I didn't see any hate on anyone's part when Me!Me!Me! came out and it was fanservice at its purest, yet people here and there seemed to think it was powerful and/or meaningful and stuff, probably just since khara was involved in it and the artist was already known.

Now someone gives us a music video with a coherent narrative and people not only bash it but uses it as a basis of everything that's wrong with the anime medium in salty reviews that are six paragraphs longer than they need to be, probably just because he's an american whatsisname and also lame-ass studio amirite?

Oh well.

There's this VERY toxic idea of what is "cool" or masculine" within MAL, it seems.

People feel the need to reassert how "cool" or "masculine" they are by claiming they felt nothing, because not showing emotions or not having emotions is still for some reason thought of as "cool" or "hot". Its a weird leftover in society from a bygone era. The idea that feeling emotional over something is "bad".
Oct 20, 2016 6:20 AM

May 2012
Fai said:

There's this VERY toxic idea of what is "cool" or masculine" within MAL, it seems.

People feel the need to reassert how "cool" or "masculine" they are by claiming they felt nothing, because not showing emotions or not having emotions is still for some reason thought of as "cool" or "hot". Its a weird leftover in society from a bygone era. The idea that feeling emotional over something is "bad".

Or you know, people just don't like the video and don't see why others would be emotional over it? Just because you liked the video doesn't mean others are "acting cool and masculine" when they say they felt nothing.
Oct 20, 2016 6:25 AM

Apr 2011
It was okay. A bit emotional and sad.
Oct 20, 2016 6:46 AM

Mar 2013
Suna_Kujira said:
Or you know, people just don't like the video and don't see why others would be emotional over it? Just because you liked the video doesn't mean others are "acting cool and masculine" when they say they felt nothing.

Except elitists here do like to bash on things that give off an emotional response on the viewer for the sake of appearing rational and intellectual, that pretty much hasn't changed in the eight years I've been browsing this site. They'd be more inclined to give emotionally dry anime like the Monogatari Series a near-perfect score and disregard shows like Clannad ~After Story~ or Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso for this very purpose.
GnkOct 20, 2016 6:49 AM
Oct 20, 2016 7:08 AM

May 2012
Gnk said:

Except elitists here do like to bash on things that give off an emotional response on the viewer for the sake of appearing rational and intellectual, that pretty much hasn't changed in the eight years I've been browsing this site. They'd be more inclined to give emotionally dry anime like the Monogatari Series a near-perfect score and disregard shows like Clannad ~After Story~ or Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso for this very purpose.

Very few people are actual elitists, as in people who genuinely believe they are better than others for certain reasons. The people who get called elitists on this site more often than not also like shows which can evoke an emotional response from the viewer. Or is something like Tatami Galaxy, Mushishi or NGE devoid of emotion? The main reason why people might speak against these series which purposely try to evoke as many emotional responses from the viewer as possible, is that the ways utilized by the anime are often cheap and thus not deserving of any reaction but disappointment. I haven't seen either After Story or Shigatsu, but Monogatari was hardly emotionally dry. Especially one episode towards the end. I've never cried from experiencing any kind of media, but that doesn't mean I can't be touched by what's on the screen. If this makes me a poser or fake, so be it.
Oct 20, 2016 7:44 AM

Mar 2013
Suna_Kujira said:
Very few people are actual elitists, as in people who genuinely believe they are better than others for certain reasons. The people who get called elitists on this site more often than not also like shows which can evoke an emotional response from the viewer. Or is something like Tatami Galaxy, Mushishi or NGE devoid of emotion? The main reason why people might speak against these series which purposely try to evoke as many emotional responses from the viewer as possible, is that the ways utilized by the anime are often cheap and thus not deserving of any reaction but disappointment. I haven't seen either After Story or Shigatsu, but Monogatari was hardly emotionally dry. Especially one episode towards the end. I've never cried from experiencing any kind of media, but that doesn't mean I can't be touched by what's on the screen. If this makes me a poser or fake, so be it.

If there's some sort of emotion on the Monogatari series then it get lost among Shinbo's stylistic choices, which is exactly what people praise about the series. Characterization in the Monogatari series is pretty dull and mostly composed of meaningless monologues. Also, the fanservice pretty much distracts from every ounce of depth the show might have, to the point both fans and haters of the franchise I've known had made fun of this fact.

That being said, yeah, there is hardly a lack of emotion in the shows you mentioned, yet these are shows where the stylistic choices in direction/animation also overshadow everything else, which just shows the mentality of the average know-it-all on this site, "Different = Good." The most voted review for this anime shows the range of this awful mentality: in hindsight and analysis it's just a big "This MV is cheap 'cause it puts a generically designed attractive anime girl into a situation of sadness and distress."

For example, I guess if this video was animated on the vein of Stuck in the Sound's "Let's Go" (One of my fave music videos of all time, in fact) it won't have been this bashed. However, because we seem to have what "intellectuals" here would call Generic Anime Girl #245, suddenly, it turns out it is bad and you should feel bad for liking it?

Well, precisely because I think the character design should not detract from appreciating good storytelling it's why I think this mentality should work both ways, not just praising something when it's different and bashing it when it seems like more of the same. And fantastic visuals aside, this has pretty damn fine storytelling for a MV. Yeah, most of the credit might go to the visuals, but that's why it's a freaking music video, for crying out loud.
GnkOct 20, 2016 7:48 AM
Oct 20, 2016 8:01 AM

Mar 2016
Don't wanna ruin the mood, but am I the only one who thinks the song sounds like "what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck"? :/
No seriously.
Oct 20, 2016 8:19 AM

Jun 2010
the animation, scenery, bgms, and storyline were all great!!! and most frame can be cropped to make a beautiful wallpaper 😁
"A sword is a weapon, Kenjutsu is the
art of killing, Whatever pretty words
you use to speak of it, this is
its true nature."

Otaku always defy common sense.

nferocious76

Oct 20, 2016 8:21 AM

May 2012
Gnk said:

If there's some sort of emotion on the Monogatari series then it get lost among Shinbo's stylistic choices, which is exactly what people praise about the series. Characterization in the Monogatari series is pretty dull and mostly composed of meaningless monologues. Also, the fanservice pretty much distracts from every ounce of depth the show might have, to the point both fans and haters of the franchise I've known had made fun of this fact.

That being said, yeah, there is hardly a lack of emotion in the shows you mentioned, yet these are shows where the stylistic choices in direction/animation also overshadow everything else, which just shows the mentality of the average know-it-all on this site, "Different = Good." The most voted review for this anime shows the range of this awful mentality: in hindsight and analysis it's just a big "This MV is cheap 'cause it puts a generically designed attractive anime girl into a situation of sadness and distress."

For example, I guess if this video was animated on the vein of Stuck in the Sound's "Let's Go" (One of my fave music videos of all time, in fact) it won't have been this bashed. However, because we seem to have what "intellectuals" here would call Generic Anime Girl #245, suddenly, it turns out it is bad and you should feel bad for liking it?

Well, precisely because I think the character design should not detract from appreciating good storytelling it's why I think this mentality should work both ways, not just praising something when it's different and bashing it when it seems like more of the same. And fantastic visuals aside, this has pretty damn fine storytelling for a MV. Yeah, most of the credit might go to the visuals, but that's why it's a freaking music video, for crying out loud.

I can agree with stylistic choices getting in the way of other messages at times, but a good series uses these visual elements to enhance the messages it tries to convey. Failing to understand what an anime was trying to do because of its visuals might be the fault of either the anime itself or the viewer. It depends on the sound arguments one can make in favor of either interpretation. Different doesn't automatically mean good, but neither does it mean the show tries to hide itself behind 'meaningless' visuals. I've only read that review briefly yesterday, but from what I can remember, if you praise the visuals so much, something shouldn't receive a 1, no matter how subjective scores are. As for the girl's beauty behind a negative point, I believe the problem with this music video is the fact that there's nothing more to it than looking beautiful. The girl realizing the truth behind the world she's living in doesn't carry any weight to it because we don't know her, the person who created this world or anything. We just know she's sad without possibly being invested enough to make an emotional connection. But apparently a lot of people found it touching even without this connection and that's perfectly fine. But don't go after people who like to point these shortcomings out. I wouldn't care either way because this just isn't my type of music.

I don't have any strong feelings for this video, whether positive or negative. My annoyance begins only when people like Fai like to relate a lack of emotional response to something bigger (because of personal ideology) and call it disingenuous. Do you love the video? Great! You don't? That's great too. Both sides should feel free to make arguments about why they felt a certain way about the anime and others should feel free to point out any possible flaws in these arguments. If you don't like people pointing out flawed argumentation, you can respond or ignore it and continue to enjoy the anime regardless. I honestly don't see the problem.
Oct 20, 2016 8:39 AM

Jul 2014
Gnk said:
Suna_Kujira said:

lol the story was nonexistent, seriously people are looking way too deep with these tinfoil theories on an underlying plot when there's none. All this is, is to promote Porters new bro-step single.
Oct 20, 2016 8:45 AM

Mar 2013
Suna_Kujira said:
I can agree with stylistic choices getting in the way of other messages at times, but a good series uses these visual elements to enhance the messages it tries to convey. Failing to understand what an anime was trying to do because of its visuals might be the fault of either the anime itself or the viewer. It depends on the sound arguments one can make in favor of either interpretation. Different doesn't automatically mean good, but neither does it mean the show tries to hide itself behind 'meaningless' visuals. I've only read that review briefly yesterday, but from what I can remember, if you praise the visuals so much, something shouldn't receive a 1, no matter how subjective scores are. As for the girl's beauty behind a negative point, I believe the problem with this music video is the fact that there's nothing more to it than looking beautiful. The girl realizing the truth behind the world she's living in doesn't carry any weight to it because we don't know her, the person who created this world or anything. We just know she's sad without possibly being invested enough to make an emotional connection. But apparently a lot of people found it touching even without this connection and that's perfectly fine. But don't go after people who like to point these shortcomings out. I wouldn't care either way because this just isn't my type of music.

Agreed. I personally can see what the appeal to the Monogatari Series is, particularly on the character backgrounds, but that doesn't mean it has to resonate within me. This video did so for some reason, though I can see how people would criticize it, too much time spent of disjointed visuals instead of story or world building, which yeah, it can be done. Muse's "Furiko" and Ghibli's "Only Yesterday" come to mind, respectively.

My point was the review tried too hard to be edgy in order to rustle jimmies, it wasn't a good writeup at all to me. If you think the visuals and sound were good then it's in no way an 1, indeed.

EDIT:

OppaiSugoi said:
lol the story was nonexistent, seriously people are looking way too deep with these tinfoil theories on an underlying plot when there's none. All this is, is to promote Porters new bro-step single.

Hey at least it isn't Pharrell Williams's "It Girl." Goddamn I hated that thing.
GnkOct 20, 2016 8:48 AM
Oct 20, 2016 8:59 AM
Jun 2015
OppaiSugoi said:
LeCrazyPanda said:

lol you're looking way too deep, lay off the LSD. Brostep isn't all its cracked up to be.

Oh well, I tried. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 20, 2016 9:05 AM
Nov 2015
One of the best AMV so far. lol

Is it getting another adaptation soon? no original source, so we have to wait for more info.
Oct 20, 2016 9:33 AM

Nov 2013
Fai said:

Go away tumblr.

Gnk said:

Hey at least it isn't Pharrell Williams's "It Girl." Goddamn I hated that thing.

It Girl was way better than this, to be honest.
abystoma2Oct 20, 2016 9:37 AM
You all need to watch Nami.

Oct 20, 2016 9:57 AM

Mar 2013
By the way, not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, but with all said this one's still pretty much the best anime inspired MV released in the last two weeks, no contenders.

Oct 20, 2016 10:03 AM
Apr 2015
i dont like the movie........ i hate it .what her father did was very cruel and inhuman . i think she better dead together with his family than living alone until his dead . that kind of life was very much like living hell . sorry my english bad
Oct 20, 2016 10:10 AM

Apr 2013
Watched this with a group of my friends. Everyone lost their shit trying to explain the movie's story.

10/10 wud fite kevin irl agen
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Oct 20, 2016 10:13 AM

Sep 2012
Such much very good.I really liked this. 8/10
Oct 20, 2016 10:17 AM

Feb 2015
so i watch this out of curiousity and obvious because of the rating. so i watch it. obvious the animation would be great. it's 6 min video. if no, i would dropped it already lol. the song is great. the animation is awsome. and i want to give more credit to the story. tbh, it really fit really perfectly with the animation and song to make the small scale story yet looks in a big scale. i mean, just 2 character, and a sad story on top of that....imo, that was a great setting for a short sad story.

a-1 goods at making AMV lol. why not just make this kind of thing rather than adapting some shit animu xD
Oct 20, 2016 10:23 AM

Sep 2009
I understand that many found the story to be generic, but generic =/= bad.

I'm not particularly into the genre, but the music video had great animation and a simple story told extremely well in 6 minutes. While I agree that because we know very little about the girl we couldn't feel as emotionally connected as we maybe should have, I got the message of the song (your loved ones will always be with you, essentially) and was impressed. When the (almost) 7 years without any messages was shown I was immediately intrigued and wanted to know more. I also really like the concept of being able to create whatever you want and she was certainly happy while doing so. In the end we see reality but no matter how frail her body is, she still clings to hope. This is what I appreciated.

8/10

OppaiSugoi said:
seriously people are looking way too deep with these tinfoil theories on an underlying plot when there's none. All this is, is to promote Porters new bro-step single.

Assuming that just because it's a music video you can't possibly have any creative or meaningful interpretations is frankly outright stupid. It doesn't have to mean anything but why would you not like people having fun when they're not shoving their interpretations down everyone's throats? People react differently.
Kikoman589Oct 20, 2016 10:27 AM
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Oct 20, 2016 11:06 AM

Nov 2014
Gnk said:
Suna_Kujira said:

hey, I like both monogatari series and clannad

EDIT: I still agree with your points on elitism though
TiemuuuOct 20, 2016 11:13 AM
Oct 20, 2016 11:19 AM

Jul 2014
sword123 said:
I understand that many found the story to be generic, but generic =/= bad.

I'm not particularly into the genre, but the music video had great animation and a simple story told extremely well in 6 minutes. While I agree that because we know very little about the girl we couldn't feel as emotionally connected as we maybe should have, I got the message of the song (your loved ones will always be with you, essentially) and was impressed. When the (almost) 7 years without any messages was shown I was immediately intrigued and wanted to know more. I also really like the concept of being able to create whatever you want and she was certainly happy while doing so. In the end we see reality but no matter how frail her body is, she still clings to hope. This is what I appreciated.

8/10

OppaiSugoi said:
seriously people are looking way too deep with these tinfoil theories on an underlying plot when there's none. All this is, is to promote Porters new bro-step single.

Assuming that just because it's a music video you can't possibly have any creative or meaningful interpretations is frankly outright stupid. It doesn't have to mean anything but why would you not like people having fun when they're not shoving their interpretations down everyone's throats? People react differently.

lol this exactly the kind of people I'm talking about, thanks for validating my point. I'll have what you're injecting.
Oct 20, 2016 11:39 AM

Jul 2013
i loved it (though it wasn't perfect by any means... i rated it an 8 out of 10), and i don't care if people disliked it - to each their own; art is subjective, etc etc. what really annoys me is all the debates on whether it's "real" anime or not. elitism is just stupid lol
Oct 20, 2016 11:48 AM

Nov 2014
I have to add - if rating this 1/10 isn't elitism then I don't know what is.
Oct 20, 2016 12:16 PM

Sep 2015
Wow that was stunning, I'm amazed at how much story-telling you can have in only 6minutes ! Not really a fan of this kind of music but animation was top-notch, and the two blend well together, I really enjoyed it
Oct 20, 2016 12:54 PM

Jun 2016
story portrayed beautifully with amazing animation and music <3
Oct 20, 2016 1:06 PM

Sep 2009
OppaiSugoi said:
lol this exactly the kind of people I'm talking about, thanks for validating my point. I'll have what you're injecting.

You have every right to think that there's nothing to the story and it's all just for promotion, but "lol you're looking way too deep, lay off the LSD." instead of elaborating on your point isn't very constructive. I doubt that any of the others think that it had to have a meaning, it's just what they got out of it.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Oct 20, 2016 1:13 PM

Oct 2015
So I'm over here reading the comments and when I see a negative unconstructive one I click on their profile and start laughing, their usual mean scores are between 4 - 5 xDD Hippsters gonna hip I guess

Anyways, definitely a beautiful peace of work that made me shed some tears and have goosebumps!!!
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime

STSayeb - Apr 22, 2023

4 by GoCrayzee »»
Apr 22, 2023 8:28 AM

» BTS of 'Shelter'

Yuckydiyuck - Oct 20, 2016

7 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Oct 31, 2021 6:35 PM

» Didn't realise it was in mal

SethXoXkun - Sep 11, 2021

5 by ManWild »»
Sep 12, 2021 10:58 AM

» Shelter playing on Toonami on New Year's? At midnight?

AvidAnimeViewer - Dec 22, 2016

2 by AvidAnimeViewer »»
Oct 1, 2019 5:23 PM

» Possibly one of the most overrated on mal?

Mister-Man - Aug 14, 2019

6 by NoLiferSoul »»
Sep 7, 2019 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.