Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 15, 2016 7:12 AM

Apr 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
They upped the comedy in this episode. Overall it wasn't as deep as the first episode but it was a ton of fun. We are introduced to new characters. Which makes the story feel even more real.

With this fat guy introduced and the other characters, it really fleshes out the MC. He isnt as depressing as we thought he was. But even people with depression dont act sad 100% of the time. Seriously a fun episode. We also get the SzS type headtilts. Blank cuts with text on screens! What more do I want. Man the mood is soo lightening I had to smile the entire time.

Any criticism about Rei having a "mood shift" needs to realize that this is depicting a real life person! Yes he is lonely and sad on his own but when external factors enter his life the entire atmopshere changes.

Anyways, Shaft sticks to be Shaft and that is great. Many quirks and visual callings back to Shafts style. This series really just proves that if Shaft wants to, their style can work for anything! I totally can't wait for next episode!!!!

Btw she is totally waifu of the season! So beautiful and elegant.

Oct 15, 2016 7:30 AM

Nov 2011
Oh God, the humor of this show. All those Rei faces are so priceless, same with the way he introduced some of the other shogi players.

Pretty good narratives, mostly from Rei's point of view. The shogi games portrayed at this point is pretty relaxing and comedic. For the shogi game itself, I find the music/OST they used to be rather catchy.

Akari looked amazing this episode!
Oct 15, 2016 7:34 AM

Apr 2014

end card by Aki Kondo
Oct 15, 2016 10:46 AM

Jan 2012
Holy fuck Akari! Where were you hiding those massively big, beautiful tits!? XD Obon eh? The fried chicken looked good.
Oct 15, 2016 10:50 AM

Jun 2014
This was great, I love how comfy and heartwarming this episode was. I'm glad Shaft and Shinbo are in charge of this adaptation.
:3
Oct 15, 2016 10:56 AM

Aug 2015
Shinbo is weighing in more but still barely. They're still doing a great adaptation so far, though I can't help but think it might flow a bit better if J.C Staff were in charge. They did a great job with Honey & Clover's humor.
Oct 15, 2016 10:58 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Akari is the most kindhearted soul i have in a long time in anime. I love her. She just took this kid in and even helped him vomit, FUCK ;_;

The slice of life moments and the gloomy moments of this show take this to another level.
Oct 15, 2016 11:19 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

I love how the atmosphere shifts back and forth between the poignant monologues to the heartwarming mood.

Issa and Smith are an amusing duo. xD
Issa drooling over Akari was kinda funny, He got tricked into treating everyone when he was trying to get a treat out of Rei. xD

Akari really is beautiful, Her dress in the bar really made her shine. It's like Rei puts it, Two different people but also the same. She's so nice and sweet but at the same time there is a sense of mystery or sadness hiding behind that elegant veil. I wonder what she meant when she said "Having people over would be a good distraction".

The three sisters really have helped Rei through a lot. The simple warm mood in that house probably saved him from a number of things.
I love how Rei's monologues add so much characterization to both him and his relationship with the sisters.
Can't wait for more episodes.

Also the OP and ED are way too good.
Oct 15, 2016 11:21 AM

May 2016
Akari is waifu in every sense of the word except in being an actual wife...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Oct 15, 2016 11:27 AM

Apr 2011
Loved everything about this episode. Akari slayed in that dress.
Oct 15, 2016 11:31 AM

May 2015
My hype is still ripe in this series. One week between epsiodes is too long, especially with this kind of pacing. The comedy right at the start threw me off a bit, but quickly the show settled back into it's mixture of heartwarming moments intersected with thoughtful scenes involving Rei's thoughts. That I can relate to so much. Can't wait to find out more about the characters, Rei's past and the three sisters. Akari seems like a really interesting character, she's kind but I think there's something else to her character, possibly hinted by with 'having people over would be a good distraction'.
Oct 15, 2016 11:31 AM

Jul 2015
I don't know what I expected really but the premiere episode exceeded my expectations by a lot and I guess this follow up took them back to earth.

It is a very good adaptation if nothing else.
Oct 15, 2016 11:33 AM

Aug 2016
is this actually a drama..? we have enough "comedys" this season...
Oct 15, 2016 11:53 AM

Feb 2012
Sywed said:

Pretty much my thoughts. I don't mind heartwarming/comedic moments, but you have to have a dramatic story carrying them. If you leave those moments on their own, it's just boring and I can't take Rei's depressive issues seriously. I mean what good does knowing how Rei got to know these sisters do for the show right now? It just exists for that "heartwarming" scene, and that's pretty much it.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Oct 15, 2016 11:53 AM

Apr 2014
Sywed said:
its plenty drama already

if ur definition of drama is edgy then ya its not that. but if ur definition of drama is realistic then yes it has drama
Oct 15, 2016 12:10 PM

Jul 2014
While I know what they're going for, I'd like to see a bit more from his matches against other people every once in a while.
Oct 15, 2016 12:12 PM

Jul 2012
Akari really is great, it's a good thing that Rei got to meet someone like her. Still, I believe she is troubled just as much as him.
Oct 15, 2016 12:24 PM
Mar 2015
The comedy is the only way to get through the tragedy. Rei has lost two families One through accident and one through the actions of his adopted father in alienating his wife and children by favoring Rei. His success at shogi separated him from his adopted family. His early success at shogi puts pressure on him to produce. He is great but his opponents expect hiim to feel sorry for them because they are not as good as him The sisters are alone because their father ran off with another woman and their mother died shortly after that. The sister had to take a job as a hostess to keep the family together. She is only in her early 20's but acts as a mother to her sisters The fat boy who wants to be his friend lives in the hospital when he is not playing shogi
Is that enough drama for you? Read between the lines
Oct 15, 2016 12:29 PM

Apr 2014
landofthekwt said:
The comedy is the only way to get through the tragedy. Rei has lost two families One through accident and one through the actions of his adopted father in alienating his wife and children by favoring Rei. His success at shogi separated him from his adopted family. His early success at shogi puts pressure on him to produce. He is great but his opponents expect hiim to feel sorry for them because they are not as good as him The sisters are alone because their father ran off with another woman and their mother died shortly after that. The sister had to take a job as a hostess to keep the family together. She is only in her early 20's but acts as a mother to her sisters The fat boy who wants to be his friend lives in the hospital when he is not playing shogi
Thx for basically summing it all up. Too many young anime fans want things spoonfed to them.
Oct 15, 2016 12:37 PM

Sep 2011
Pretty boring tbh. Kinda disappointed so far with the show. Give it about 6 episodes since it's 2 cour unlike the 3 episode rule.
Oct 15, 2016 12:46 PM

Feb 2015
This is good, like really good so far (Even got caught up on the manga cuz the first episode caught my eye)
There is a lot to this show and I really like that they are sticking Very, VERY close to the manga and that make's me super happy and sad at the same time, we are about to see some dark shit about our lovely characters and that make's them shine and grow even more.

5/5
FallenUndeadOct 15, 2016 12:51 PM
Oct 15, 2016 12:50 PM

Apr 2015
Decent episode. Akari is very kind; her responsibility of taking care of the family seems admirable. The guy who opened Rei's mail (and appears to be his rival) is pretty interesting too.
Oct 15, 2016 12:52 PM

Feb 2015
landofthekwt said:

Should put a Spoiler tag here man
But yes, this isn't your edgy drama like most, this is very real and the manga was such a joy because of this and the anime is doing a very good job so far.
Oct 15, 2016 12:55 PM

May 2016
It's a shame that the rivals are the same idiotic character types we've seen too many times to count. They spoil the tone of the show somewhat.

Other than that, I'm liking this a lot. Akari is one of those people who are just a touch too good to exist, but that's a plus in my book.
Oct 15, 2016 1:15 PM

Apr 2016
Maybe its just me but this anime is shaping up to be one of the best I've ever seen and one my my favorites. Both episodes so far have made me tear up and I could really feel a connection with everything happening.
Oct 15, 2016 1:22 PM

Nov 2008
landofthekwt said:
*spoiler cut*

*facepalm*

At least use the forum's spoiler BBCode tags. No one starting from the anime is going to be able to "read between the lines" and infer most of that information based on what has been presented to them so far. All your post serves to spoil information that's probably going to be revealed within the next two or three episodes anyway, as well as plot revelations that don't happen until one of the recently released volumes. That, and it makes yourself look like an overzealous fanboy of the series.

---

Frankly, while I enjoy these episodes so far, I get where some people are coming from. The introductory chapters in the manga were slow enough, but when adapted into anime form, it risks not drawing in people in a timely manner.
Oct 15, 2016 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
I hope the game,shogi,rules will be explained later episodes.Hmm...the characters made enough as much as realistic but the art dont fond me well.The expressions...meh its weired.
Oct 15, 2016 1:32 PM

Jun 2014
I was reading Weekly Shounen Jump's Author Comments last night and I noticed the mangaka of Black Clover said that Akari is his number one favorite female character in any manga he has ever read. After this episode, I now see why, she's so friendly and likable, even going out of her way to pick up this random dude off the street and help him out. This show really is a breath of fresh air.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 15, 2016 1:43 PM
Mar 2015
The parts about his families and hid siisters have already been revealed. The only things that have not been revealed by the first two episodes were the part about the fat boy in the hospital and the father running off.
The death of his parents and sister is revealed in the 2nd episode Watching his adopted family walk away from him as he awarded his shogi is supposed to show the reaction of his adopted family to his shogi success. His beating his adopted father at shogi and feeling like he is beating his adopted father physically He is shown living on his own even though only 17 at the start of the show. He moved out on his own as soon as he could afford to do so.
The isisters occupation was shown in episode 2. The mothers shrine and grave are shown. The father is absent
Oct 15, 2016 1:48 PM

Sep 2015
I feel like soemthing is gonna happen to Akari
Oct 15, 2016 1:54 PM

Dec 2015
landofthekwt said:
The father is absent

Oh geez... While it probably won't happen even in two cours, Rei gets to meet the father... Trying not to spoil, but the father is TOXIC! But he's important to showing Rei's growth in character!
Oct 15, 2016 2:09 PM
Feb 2016
Too bad I don't know how to play Shogi... other than that, Great episode!
Oct 15, 2016 2:12 PM

Jan 2013
Major tone shifts throughout the episode. I don't mind though.
Still good, really like the ost.
Oct 15, 2016 2:20 PM

Oct 2013
Samii said:
Akari really is great, it's a good thing that Rei got to meet someone like her. Still, I believe she is troubled just as much as him.

This

Akari shows true filial piety, which is admirable in itself, but she extends this value to a complete stranger in his time of need. She sensed something about Rei it seems.
Oct 15, 2016 2:26 PM

Aug 2010
OMG!!!!!! Akari is way tooo much <3
I'm in love!!
Perfect waifu
Oct 15, 2016 2:33 PM

Aug 2015
Koro-tan said:
landofthekwt said:
The father is absent

Oh geez... While it probably won't happen even in two cours, Rei gets to meet the father... Trying not to spoil, but the father is TOXIC! But he's important to showing Rei's growth in character!

Totally agree. The series is at its best when it deals with character's problems. The father and the bullying arc are by far the best. Can't wait til episode 5 when they really get into Rei's past.
Oct 15, 2016 2:49 PM

Apr 2014
I have to admit that Shaft is doing wonders with this show, probably the only anime besides Zetsubou-sensei that I've enjoyed by them.
As an adaptation this is fantastic, the direction and aesthetic, faithfulness to the designs, the liberties that they're taking with the visual metaphors and color palettes, it's really refreshing to see in a type of show like this. See Shaft, you CAN do good things if you just learn the concept of subtlety! And while this isn't really subtle, it's hell of a lot more subtle than their other works, and it's nice to see them work with care and put their hearts into an adaptation of a manga that really deserves such good treatment.
The seiyuu and soundtrack are also fantastic, and while I think they're moving maybe a bit too slow through the manga, this has 23 episodes so I guess it's okay.

Great episode, impatiently waiting for the next one. I honestly didn't expect it to be this good.
Oct 15, 2016 2:53 PM

May 2015
Akari, woah. Good-looking, and such a nice and sweet girl. But it seems like there's more to her character, so I'm curious there.

Great episode. This episode felt more Shaft-like than the previous episode, and I think it fits this show perfectly.

Oct 15, 2016 2:57 PM

Jul 2013
Oh, I loved this episode as much as the first too. Like how the mix of comedy and drama is played (really effective imo). Yes, the life of Rei it's shitty, but that doesn't means even a depressed person cannot have some relaxing moments in his/her life, as shown when he confronts his goofy rivals or in his interactions with the sisters.

And speaking about the sisters, I liked the detail they are also living a difficult situation despite their cheerful outside and how Rei's presence confirts them of the same way their presence makes Rei's life a lot less sour. Akari is also waifu tier. Beautiful, nice with even complete strangers, with a really sweet voice. Such a great woman.

Liking this a lot for the moment.
Oct 15, 2016 3:02 PM

Dec 2012
Lovely episode. Love the Background art in this show. So beautiful.
LOL Issa is full of energy & eager to beat Rei. Sugita as Smith. Awesome.
Enjoyed that OST when the shogi battle was going on.

DAMN Akari looks stunning & gorgeous in that dress. Love how caring she is towards Rei when they first met. BEST GIRL right there.
Ai Kayano is a great choice for Akari.
Momo is so freaking adorable hugging Rei's leg.

The Kawamoto Sisters are so much fun & loveable.

Lovely End Card.
Santoryu_XBurnerOct 15, 2016 3:14 PM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 15, 2016 3:35 PM

Jan 2014
WOAH !!!

IS AKARI BEST WAIFU FOR FALL 2016 ALREADY ?!?!?!?!?!
Oct 15, 2016 3:58 PM

Jun 2015
Another great episode. The comedy was quite funny, even during the shogi match. Akari looked very beautiful when she was with Rei and his friends. She is also kindhearted and sweet to Rei. She really cares about him. It was nice to see how they met each other.
Oct 15, 2016 4:24 PM

Jun 2015
The shaftisms have been less present in this episode, which makes it simply better.

Kinda funny some of the comments so far here complain about comedy / not enough drama. As far as I'm concerned this episode just made the MC much more interesting than the first one did. And precisely providing a context to the whole fact he's visiting the sisters, instead of leaving that aside. How is that not relevant. Besides, if it felt heartwarming is precisely because they did a good job adapting it from his perspective, because otherwise it's rather bittersweet the whole time.
Oct 15, 2016 4:36 PM

Aug 2009
I really wanna like this series, but I fucking hate the main character. I feel like the story would be better if Akari or someone else was the main. Honestly hes just such a boring, depressed sack of shit, I hate watching him moping around and leeching off Akari's kindness. He kind of reminds me about the worst parts of myself. Plus I find shogi as a game pretty dam boring and the side characters (sisters and the fat guy) are trying way too hard to make the series seem more light-hearted and comedic. It's a huge tonal shift. The show needs to make up its mind if it wants to be a light hearted comedy or a more serious melancholic drama.

I'll give it one more episode, but I feel like Fune wo Amu is already what I wanted from this show and then some.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 15, 2016 4:42 PM

Apr 2015
WOW. Color me impressed. This was way, way, wayyyyyyyyyy better than the first episode, which was terrible.

Even though i didn't like the opening with the fat guy, there was a lot in this episode that made it a lot better than the first. We're actually given context towards why the main character is sad and depressed, instead of just being shown pretentious intrusive visual sequences of emo color palettes. The characters here felt really real and genuine instead of anime cliche #3 or supporting comedic character #4. They also reduced the screen time of the children, which I think worked in the show's favor. It didn't spend to much time shoving cuteness in your face, and they weren't annoying like they were in the first episode. They were in there minimally but they still felt like sweet innocent children. Even the grandpa was a lot better, instead of being "generic cranky grandpa" he had a lot of quite respect for the struggle of the character.

And Issa has such a great character, hope he's in more of the show.
observing a woman's body
Oct 15, 2016 4:44 PM

Apr 2015
And jsut to be clear, I agree with Lonewolf that the main character is boring as shit, but whereas the first episode had pretentious sequences of visual fodder, annoying cliche characters like screaming children, and douchebag grandpas, this episode had none of that. Literally my only complaint in this episode was the main, and even then he was made much more relatable on scenes like the bridge scene(I really like the line "once I explored it, it was like the other side of the city brimmed with light" paraphrasing)
observing a woman's body
Oct 15, 2016 4:51 PM

Nov 2008
LoneWolf said:
I really wanna like this series, but I fucking hate the main character. I feel like the story would be better if Akari or someone else was the main. Honestly hes just such a boring, depressed sack of shit, I hate watching him moping around and leeching off Akari's kindness. He kind of reminds me about the worst parts of myself. Plus I find shogi as a game pretty dam boring and the side characters (sisters and the fat guy) are trying way too hard to make the series seem more light-hearted and comedic. It's a huge tonal shift. The show needs to make up its mind if it wants to be a light hearted comedy or a more serious melancholic drama.

I'll give it one more episode, but I feel like Fune wo Amu is already what I wanted from this show and then some.

As someone who's read the manga, I'll spare you the trouble; this series isn't for you. Rei improves, but its a slow and gradual thing. And while the manga does settle into a fair balance in its tone as a sort of "feel-good" series the shifts back and forth between somber/melancholic and light-hearted are never going to completely go away; at best they're just going to be more subdued as time goes on (though I fear that may not be quite the case with the lack of subtlety in Shaft's approach to this adaptation).
Oct 15, 2016 4:58 PM

Jun 2008
Why do I feel that the "tone of the show complainer"s is not familiar with the works from the author.
It's like they never watched/read Honey and Clover, which had wacky comedy while still having young adult issues with relationships.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Oct 15, 2016 5:01 PM

Nov 2008
kaimax said:
Why do I feel that the "tone of the show complainer"s is not familiar with the works from the author.
It's like they never watched/read Honey and Clover, which had wacky comedy while still having young adult issues with relationships.

Well, Studio Shaft's name is bringing in people who might not otherwise have looked at this series.
Oct 15, 2016 6:50 PM

Sep 2011
kaimax said:

Not having seen some other show has nothing to do with people's criticisms of this show.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Nov 19, 2016

111 by little_raven »»
Mar 26, 11:11 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

104 by blinddig »»
Mar 13, 2:15 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

160 by TraeKun »»
Feb 18, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.