Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 18, 2016 6:25 PM

Aug 2014
It is after this movie that i concluded that Ghost in the Shell works better as a movie series.
Great movie, i liked the directing very much, not a coincidence by the GitSC staff.

T - 10
S+C - 7
E - 8

My Rating:8.2/10

Am I the only one who preferred Motoko first appearance?
Jun 22, 2016 8:41 AM
Jun 2016
I also think the master of puppets is the subconscious of Motoko.

Batou more and he knows everything and did nothing because he loves Major ?, it seems that in the end this major begging forgiveness the Batou for its disappearance in the last two years, introspective behavior is basically one in which the person wants to say something but do not have the courage to say, is trying to insinuate something, as well as major insinuates regret for disappear and dechar Batou alone, in addition to not knowing she wHAT was making the network one the things she is asked is wHAT made i the network I was looking for that someone special in ????????????

whom she spoke

Batou! or Kuze will be that she was looking for a chance of him being alive on the network

or will be that this was a declaration of love for Batou, the major finally understood that her destiny is to be in Batou arms or live alone having sex with kurutan ?.

I am mystified batou Hummmmmm hummmmmmmm hummmmmmmm this and a code name to say I'm in (sex fuck) Major.
(And of course the end of the film was the second night of love (sex) with Batou is clear and evident.)
Matheus36364646Jun 22, 2016 9:01 AM
Jun 22, 2016 9:13 AM
Jun 2016
Batou is even, the major manipulated handles it with this feeling when in fact she really likes the Kuze, but has no pair courage to declare to the Kuze for fear, the more Kuze already died, free way to Batou.

Batou fucking grabs soon she and ready old

Overall already realized that the major did not know what he wants from life, she seems very crazy and complex, sometimes with Batou , sometimes with Kuze, sometimes alone ,sometimes with session 9.

Major woman more WORLD error.
Matheus36364646Jun 22, 2016 9:20 AM
Jun 23, 2016 11:34 PM

Jan 2016
Matheus36364646 said:

the more Kuze already died, free way to Batou.

Yeah I am in "Team Batou" she should be with him

Matheus36364646 said:

Overall already realized that the major did not know what he wants from life, she seems very crazy and complex, sometimes with Batou , sometimes with Kuze, sometimes alone ,sometimes with session 9.

Major woman more WORLD error.

You are so right. For me it seems like she thinks that she is not a real human and does not need or deserve human enjoyment or hapiness
Jul 21, 2016 11:45 PM

Jan 2016
I am really hopying for Motoko to find her happiness

And also hope for a sequel anime or movie to get to know how it will continue
There is Arise but this tells the story before SSS and Stand Alone Complex

At least I am excited for the movie adaption with Scarlet Johansson!!!
Jul 28, 2016 2:39 AM

Jul 2016
Well its all over now. Its good to have some closure on the SAC universe. I've said this a million times and I'll say it again, it's a real shame that they haven't done anything new with SAC. I personally enjoyed Arise but it was a short tease. After going through two entire seasons of SAC, it's hard to not love it.

At first when Aramaki reveals that the Major left it came as a big surprise. Naturally when he mentioned that it was two years, you would think that SSS picked off right after 2ND GIG but I have a feeling there was something that went down between the end of 2ND GIG and the time the Major left. Just imagine the Major deciding to just leave Section 9 after all they've been through. I'm sure the group made a big commotion, especially Batou.

Right from the start we can see the change in characters of the members or Section 9; specifically Batou and Togusa. Togusa, being the head man now, seems to be trying to preform his duty to the best of his ability which can give him a more demanding demeanor. Filling the shoes of the Major is no easy task and Togusa knew this. Its a very weird predicament for Batou. Its obvious that Batou considers the Major to be his partner and someone he could depend on. Her leaving, I think, totally messed Batou up. On top of that with Togusa being the head of command, things at Section 9 were totally flipped around.

As the movie progressed, there was a side of the Major that we never saw before. She completely went rogue. From what I understand, she was tired of her job at Section 9. I think she said something a long the lines of not wanting to be confined. Obviously Section 9 has to follow government jurisdiction so that would restrict the Major from doing what she wanted.

Her hideout is truly remarkable. Back in season 1 of SAC, I was really confused about the part where the Major gets "killed" by the sniper unit. Turns out she had a spare body and the little version of her was another extension. I didn't think it would be this complex though. The Major literally had a wall lined up with other prosthetic bodies...

When it's all said and done, the real question is who exactly is the Puppeteer? Before Koshiki shot himself I couldn't help but notice his look. The same hair color and design as the Major's? Similar eyes as well? Surely there has to be some connection here...

During the exchange between Koshiki and the Major, we see the faces of the people she had known during the SAC timeline. A brief pause on Kuze may mean something but that isn't certain. What is confusing is the scene where Koshiki's body (or second body) walks out of the Major's hideout. Could this mean the Major is connected to the Puppeteer in some way? A lot of people speculate that the Puppeteer stems from the Major's conscious but how could that work? The line: "How many arrogant, self-righteous asses do you know?" brings up some questions. Could he mean the Major? Ultimately, that part makes me very confused.

Now finally the end... What can I say? A happy ending to say the least and somewhat of a huge tease. Judging from the conversation between the Major and Batou is seems like she might join up with Section 9 again. It was apparent that the events that happened in 2ND GIG really shook the Major up. Some examples included: her messing up on a key point in the mission to find Kuze - she went to the wrong location and got one of the new members killed, her finding out that Kuze was the boy that she shared that hospital room with, when she accepted that she was going to die from the nuke and was prepared to upload herself to the Net, and finally Kuze's death. All of these events really made the Major re-evaluate herself. Remember, this was a totally different version of the Major in season one.

I could see why she would want to escape her life at Section 9. After being introduced to vast size of the net thanks to Aoi and Kuze, I could see why she would want to go explore it. Still, she still had her good side of her since she was solving crimes. I feel like this opens up a lot about the Major that Solid State dived into. I still want to find out more though.

Overall, I think this was a very good addition to the SAC universe. I would consider this a closer because of how long ago this came out (can you believe it's been 10 years?!). I still would like to see some more or have something be made about SAC. There has literally been nothing wrong with the SAC and I feel like anything they do with it in terms of anime will be a hit.

This was sort of a long post. I was just rambling off my thoughts since there was so much going on here. Helps me get my ideas together I guess.

Also, its nice to see them use some of the 1995 GITS scenes in Solid State. I couldn't help but notice the similarities while I was watching it. A nice touch nonetheless.
The Net is Vast and Infinite
Oct 14, 2016 11:56 PM

Oct 2012
Tachikoma!!
I'm really happy, awww I'm glad they're alive and well ^^

Net is so scary :0
Future is so scary
I hope our future won't be like Ghost in the shell
That would be terrifying
"Signature removed"
Oct 16, 2016 10:05 AM

Apr 2013
Batou definitely thought about grabbing dat ass there in the end :>
Overall it was a lot like the TV series, so it was good.
Dec 2, 2016 12:39 AM

Oct 2015
Always the best except the real puppeteer was not found. Major kusanagi's reason for departure was stupid but i am glad she came back in the end.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 20, 2016 10:04 AM

Oct 2012
She felt restricted and contained while working for Section 9, yet she also felt as though she couldn't do much without those restrictions either. That scene alone made the movie for me. At first, I was thinking this movie would show-off "Badass Rogue Major" doing rogue things, but this was not the case, and in fact carried some development/ties from the SAC series to further deepen her character. Major is human; a lonely wanderer looking for something... that's what many of what we do, searching. For that display of her character, I did find this movie to be a sufficient continuation from SAC.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Mar 10, 2017 6:55 PM

Apr 2012
Best of the 3 but I still find it hard to get very excited about SAC storylines.

No they didn't find the puppeteer but they heavily implied it was Kusanagi's subconscious.
Sep 27, 2017 9:09 PM

Apr 2012
tfw no-one's commented since you did

This actually works as a sort-of sequel to Innocence if you're not into the whole SAC thing, mainly due to Motoko's place in things.
Jan 26, 2019 2:56 PM

Jun 2012
Rayl1ght said:

Future is so scary
That would be terrifying
I hope so too... but how can we prevent it? The shit seems inevitable.
Feb 21, 2019 4:08 PM
Mar 2018
So a store had this movie, the original remaster and 2.0 on sale and I was tempted, but I just don't know what this version is. I already have an older anniversary special edition and 2.0 is supposed to be the same, but for the graphics freaks. However with this I'm not sure if it is the same as the original or a remake or whatever, because they all say that the main villain is the puppet master...
Mar 9, 2019 5:58 AM

May 2016
This shows dialogue is one of the best and most realistic I have ever seen, I wish there was more to this series and I teared up when Togusa shot himself I really thought he was done for.

Rayl1ght said:
Tachikoma!!
I'm really happy, awww I'm glad they're alive and well ^^

Net is so scary :0
Future is so scary
That would be terrifying
tbh I'm hoping for a future like that.
Dec 8, 2019 10:36 AM
Feb 2019
Just as I thought my nigga Batou could get some spotlight, the author be like: "nope", and things just went as it had always been, Makoto hopped in out of nowhere and casually solved all problems with relative ease. This is just trash. Main character my ass, they should really re-categorize Batou, Togusa, and Amaraki as Supporting and let Makoto be the sole MC because it is damn obvious to be the case.

For the record, I've never against letting female characters being the main attraction, but fuck this is shit, it's simply outright unfair for the rest of the "main" leads as Makoto easily put other male characters to shame in every possible way, which is, again, trash.

Other than that, the themes exploited in GiTS never disappoint, probably the main reason why I could hit the next instance of the show instead of stopping at SS1, but I guess this really is the end. FUCK the upcoming "season" because you know it. Gave this a 7/10 regardless of the frustration I got because they handled the exposition really well this time, plus I really like the theme about "don't fuck with the Internet" used in this incident. SS2 was a damn mess at the 2nd half but this movie instance really got the fire lit up again.
HHHHRRRRNNNGGGDec 8, 2019 10:40 AM
Jul 4, 2020 9:31 AM

Aug 2016
I've just rewatched it and was, again, not impressed. The end of SAC 2nd GIG was great and partly on the same level as the two original movies.
The story here is just not very original and a bit boring. The "puppet master" was not a good villain and its pseudo resolution at the end was underwhelming, it is especially a bad conclusion to the SAC universe.

It is not a surprise that this movie (nearly*) ended the SAC universe, its still better than the ARISE movies/series who are insult to the GITS universe.

I would give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. It had the same SAC vibe, some nice topics, visual and music is again good, just the story and some characters are a bit disappointing.

*There is now a sequel to it: "SAC_2045", but don't waste your time on that crap.

Ego = 1 / Knowledge | "More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego." Albert Einstein
My ratings:
Aug 28, 2020 7:32 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Certainly felt like a mashup of the 1995 and Innocence Movies + SAC timelines/ideas, in many ways.

Puppet Master from the 1995 Movie vs. the Puppeteer here in SAC: SSS. Plus, the Major's actions were very similar to that of the Innocence Movie as well. I don't mind when franchises flex a little like this at all but sadly this Movie didn't click all the way through leaving behind a little bitter taste, if I'm to be frankly honest here.

I suppose the ending was just a tad bit too open for my liking. However, I did appreciate the twist that the Puppeteer might've been the Major's collective consciousness but, aside from that, I really can't say much positives from that "big final" there.

Togusa's and his daughter's bit was easily the highlight of the Movie for me. Heck, got to give it to the Major for making such an awesome appearance. I wonder why the Puppeteer gave him the choice there though, could it have been because his daughter wasn't being abused and whatnot?

Anyway, what was that about the whole group coming from outside Japan? I don't think this got addressed at all, lol.

But, all that said and done, the Movie was still pretty entertaining. Action scenes and just the quality of animation plus the amazing score made for a great ride despite the fine=ish plot. Basically, that SAC vibe that I've come to love!

All in all, it wasn't the best conclusion to the SAC Universe but a worthy enough entry nonetheless. A happy, sort of, ending for Squad 9, I'll take that. Going to settle with a generous 7/10.

So far, it's SAC >>> 1995/2008 + Innocence Movies imo. I've heard that the Innocence movie requires some pre-requisite knowledge of SAC 1st Gig and so I think I ought to give the Mamoru Oshii movies() another go. Planning to get around to doing that maybe tomorrow or the day after binge-ing the SAC_2045 series.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 31, 2021 11:08 AM

Feb 2020
finally caught up with all of the Gits anime (except cgi one).
Stand alone complex series was the best of Gits series. this movie was good, but not as good as the series. Though this movie makes me feel I have not give original 1995 movie enough credit. (I felt original 1995 was kind of lackluster when I watched it. but still some of the original's plot points are better than this movie. Maybe i will bump its score a little bit)

Overall
SAC 2nd season> SAC 1st season>innocence>Solid state society>original 1995 and (?) arise continuity

Only thing left in the SAC 2045 (cgi one). lets see where it heads...
AdampkJan 31, 2021 11:19 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Mar 21, 2021 8:34 AM

Sep 2011
This was a good movie but the action scenes could have been more.. especially in towards the end, there were few fighting scenes and they were a bit shorter.
May 10, 2021 9:39 PM
Nov 2020
Since the Tachikomas still exist but Kuze does not, it could mean that either the Tachikomas do not have Ghosts or that AIs and humans (and bioroids such as Proto) have different types of Ghosts.
Jul 4, 2022 3:47 PM

Mar 2007
Rewatch in 2022.

Togusa bit made my heart stop but the re-appearance of the Tachikoma (AIs then physical) made me tear up. For some reason I connected way more with the Tachikoma when I watched the dub version, compared to the sub version.
Sep 6, 2022 10:22 PM
Feb 2018
Imagina ter um titulo desse tamanho e ainda soar foda!
Jan 16, 2023 10:17 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
An alright movie, not really that memorable for me apart from that one moment with Togusa about to kill himself for his daughter, a truly "holy sh*t" moment. It's probably just because I didn't exactly get it, but whatever the thing was with all the abducted children and old people and their usefulness and what not, I couldn't really get invested. Don't even get me started in trying to explain what the concept is behind the Puppeteer, more specifically who or what it is. 

So that's it for the standalone complex series, watched both seasons and now this movie. Honestly my favourite parts were the simple but moving "standalone" episodes from season 1.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jun 13, 2023 12:24 PM

Dec 2022
Vastly superior to the main plot of the second season, and at least on par with the plot of the first season. This movie definitely brought back that clever subtlety and conspiracy that was forgotten by the end of 2nd GIG, which seemed to favour bombastic sentimentality over the cyberpunk psychological themes that GitS is known for. The Puppeteer felt like a genuinely sinister threat justifying the case, and the Solid State kidnappings and unsettling decrepit old people made watching it very tense.

I was very impressed with this movie. I just wish it had a bit more action to break up the plot and exposition.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 16, 8:45 PM
Dec 2018
A masterpiece film, as usual, with a lot of things that require concentration. I have to repeat the last half hour at least sometime
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why is it tagged as special and not movie?

PxHC - Feb 16, 2016

3 by PxHC »»
Feb 17, 2016 10:24 AM

» Do bluetooth neckbands remind you of Ghost in the Shell?

Arwen17 - Jan 13, 2014

4 by ExTemplar »»
Mar 16, 2015 4:53 PM

Poll: » Now out on DVD in North America

Blazingluke - Jul 15, 2007

2 by kickass331 »»
Nov 24, 2007 11:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.