Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 5, 2016 10:45 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Solid start, we got characters from a variety of countries for competition and they didn't waste time at introducing the most prominent ones.

Animation quality by MAPPA looks good with a fine degree of realism. Good OP song as well. Out of all the characters, that Viktor guy stands out the most in terms of look and ability. Looks like he's quite famous too. Pretty good episode overall, has a lot of potential.

Glorious music.
Stark700Oct 5, 2016 12:55 PM
Oct 5, 2016 10:49 AM

Nov 2007
OP is simple and fun.

This is interesting.

Wow, ED song is techno!

The champion guy deciding to train after seeing Japan Yuuri's video?

Next ep. delayed 15 mins later to 26:36.
tsubasaloverOct 12, 2016 10:48 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 5, 2016 10:59 AM

Apr 2015
The OP & ED are really good both music and art wise.

Overall this whole series gives off a really "modern" vibe. Like internet is actual a thing as far as that the ED is a slide show in Instagram lol.

The choreography from what we could see was awesome, you can see that the director has experience in this sport and that the japanese champion was/is involved in the production.

Really the only two hurdles I can see for some people is this being a sport series and the various yaoi undertones.
Oct 5, 2016 12:24 PM

Sep 2010
Yuri o ice is clearly a bait, should be yaoi on ice...
I don't expect justice. I expect revenge, even if it solves nothing in the end.
I don't expect redemption. I expect decadence and self destruction.
I don't expect compassion. I expect selfishness.
I don't expect people making choices. I expect a cruel fate forced upon them.
Oct 5, 2016 12:43 PM

Aug 2010
HOLY SHIT THE OP & ED are way tooooo goood O_o

And the choreography is dope
Oct 5, 2016 12:51 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
This has everything to be AOTS. OP and ED will be very hard to beat.

The comedy was actually good, i was surprised at first, but i got used to it fast.

The choreography was even better than i expected, MAPPA is not fucking around here, beautiful.

Best start of the season.
Oct 5, 2016 12:53 PM

Apr 2009
AOTS contender? AOTS contender.

Fluid animation, varied cast, OST was fitting outside of the OP/ED, Sayo delivers once again - as expected from one of the best female anime directors. Can't wait to see how things develop.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 5, 2016 12:58 PM
Aug 2011
That OP is STUNNING! That song paired with those visuals, i'm not sure I even blinked while watching that.
The skating sequence was lovely, this didn't even feel like 23 minutes to me.

Hope the quality remains strong. I want this show to do well for this director.

Djisas said:
should be yaoi on ice...

wow Dijsas most original user on mal sasuga
Oct 5, 2016 12:59 PM

Nov 2012
great episode, the ice skating scenes looked incredible, and the comedy was good too. i hope it continues like this~
Oct 5, 2016 1:02 PM

Jul 2013
I' m dead man, that's literally all I can say
Oct 5, 2016 1:03 PM

Aug 2015
It looks amazing, but I just can't get over how much Yuri looks like Izumi from Parasyte. Even his teacher and other characters look like they're from Parasyte.
Oct 5, 2016 1:03 PM
Apr 2016
Ahhh man this is so gay I'm in looove!!!
To be honest I did not understand the majority of this episode cuz of course I don't know Japanese (YET) so I want to know one thing:
WHY THE HELL IS YURI SO- ...uhh... SO CHUBBY?!
Oct 5, 2016 1:05 PM

Oct 2012
Holy shit
That was awesome????????????????
Characters, comedy, animation... Everything was great. Whoa.
ALSO AKSJDIOUJHWOIFD
ALSO he was in love with the childhood friend and she married the other guy. But I'm okay with that. He seems to be okay with that too. I LOVED THE CHARACTERS SERIOUSLY ALL OF THEM
HE HAS VICTOR NOW. PLS DATE
PLS DATE PLS DATE PLS PSLDKFRFDO.CXDRFDCX
Oct 5, 2016 1:09 PM

Sep 2015
Wtf the visuals in the OP are f*cking awesome
I thought it was going to be more serious
Oct 5, 2016 1:09 PM

Sep 2016
OP is terrible but at least good visual right there
also, yaoi on ice
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 5, 2016 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
Zonna said:
To be honest I did not understand the majority of this episode cuz of course I don't know Japanese (YET) so I want to know one thing:

He gains weight fast as said in the episode. And it was most like because he wasn't feeling well because his pet dog died... You know, people eat to improve their mood.
Oct 5, 2016 1:11 PM

Aug 2008
Oh, this first episode was wonderful. Liked the animation and the comedy was pleasent. Yuri being chubby was...interesting, guess was something emotional. The last part, man took me by surprize,haha when vicror said will coach him: naked ...
I like the ending song o.o
The spider is watching
Oct 5, 2016 1:14 PM

Jun 2014
Amazing! This was absolutely brilliant! The characters so full of life in this, gotta give the director some credit for that! The art style is really nice and comfy, the character designs are really well made, the OST is good so far, the story looks promising. I really love how things ended up going. It's gonna be interesting to see Viktor coach 2 Yuri's. The animation was impeccable, I imagine how hard it must've been to make things so fluent. Someone above said it has a modern vibe and I totally agree and love it.

My favorite moment from the episode was when Viktor was watching the video and was like, damn, I have to coach him.

Looking forward to more of this, off to a great start!

Also, both the OP and ED were amazing. AOTS contender right here.
alpha_shadowOct 5, 2016 1:31 PM
:3
Oct 5, 2016 1:14 PM

Nov 2012
Zonna said:

you could've just watched it subbed, subs are out already
Oct 5, 2016 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
The skating was really good... I didn't feel like the characters were very interesting, though--except, obviously, for the silver-haired guy. ... And something I didn't like was the childhood friend of the protagonist having been revealed to have married his childhood 'friend'- I mean, wut? Small town, I guess? But why the need to show something so cliche? Tch. ... And why's it that after all those years, the protagonist couldn't have shown interest for any other female? C'mon, is the world so scarce? ¬¬ Anyway.
Oct 5, 2016 1:46 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
AvidAnimeViewer said:
It looks amazing, but I just can't get over how much Yuri looks like Izumi from Parasyte. Even his teacher and other characters look like they're from Parasyte.
Both anime share the same characters designer !
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 5, 2016 1:46 PM

May 2016
Honestly, this was great. I can definitely see it as the sort of anime that not only fujoshi will enjoy, due to the stunning visuals and comedy. It was a total treat, with a bit of fanservice but what can I say. I'm really hoping this will rise to the popularity of Free!, and show us a well developed and exciting plot, unlike the disappointments cheer danshi and days turned out to be.
Oct 5, 2016 1:53 PM

Jun 2014
What a great start! I actually teared up when he was reminiscing about his childhood and how he wanted to skate like Viktor one day.

I think I am really going to enjoy this one!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Oct 5, 2016 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
OHHHH MY LORD!!! THIS FIRST EPISODE WAS PROBABLY THE BEST FIRST EPISODE I'VE SEEN OF THE SEASON!

Sorry, my bad for that, but damn the animation, along with the characters and the music were just too amazing for me, also I do tend to ask at first why title the series Yuri on ice, but I think it is implied mostly towards the main character, which is not a bad thing in all honesty. Really, this is all I would have needed for today in all honesty. I just hope they keep up with the quality of course, since it has the potential to be great.

By the way the bath scene with Victor OMG fangirls will go overboard with it xD I MEAN HELL, ITS A GUY NAKED AND YOU SAW FREAKING BUN BUNS!
Oct 5, 2016 2:00 PM

Jul 2013
Breathtaking. Hopefully the show continues to maintain this integrity. If so, I have a feeling this is going to be something very special.
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Oct 5, 2016 2:01 PM

Sep 2016
yo, the beginning is pretty good but the end and preview is just too gay!
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 5, 2016 2:05 PM

Sep 2014
I guess I have rarely been as torn on a first ep as here. On one hand, everything serious, the whole scating part and the more natural character interactions (Yuri x Yoko) were cool and pretty much what I expected from this anime. On the other hand, every attempt at comedy was fucking terrible and destroyed everything. Sayo please, for fuck's sake, just throw your garbage comedy out of the window and gift us an AotS...

Jun 2014
I AM HOOKED. I loved the first episode. The animation quality is top notch, but that's MAPPA for you. I am not a fan of Ice Skating, I have only watched a little bit, but it is very interesting and captivating sport.

Dec 2014
Pretty good first episode. Comedy and animation are really good.

Seems like the show will be about Yuri trying to get better via losing weight and of course getting better at skating. Can't say I've seen that in an anime.
Oct 5, 2016 2:06 PM
Mar 2013
God, that was surprisingly great. I'm a fan of Yuri's chubby ver haha
Anyway, was I the only one who found Yuri's imitation of Viktor really choppy? They should have added in more frames in between to smooth things out, but nonetheless this starting ep was really entertaining.

definitely....here for plot :^)
Oct 5, 2016 2:07 PM

May 2014
Wow. I was pleasantly surprised by this first episode...from the PV I was expecting a really serious, melodramatic sort of atmosphere but I liked how chill it was as well as the tidbits of comedy here and there. Ofc this could change in the coming weeks, but we'll see. Animation was pretty stunning and the character designs and music were just as wonderful too. I adored the ending theme.

I was surprised by how interesting the characters are- especially Yuri as an MC and also bratty Yuri as well...he looks like he'll be fun!
Viktor is definitely intriguing I'm not just saying that bc he has a mighty fine ass either and I'm looking forward to seeing where this'll go!

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2016 2:08 PM

Sep 2014
AUOdere said:
Anyway, was I the only one who found Yuri's imitation of Viktor really choppy? They should have added in more frames in between to smooth things out, but nonetheless this starting ep was really entertaining.

I think they did it on purpose. His imitation just didn't look as good in general, which is only logical because Victor is leagues ahead and Yuri only copied his choreography.
Oct 5, 2016 2:13 PM
Mar 2013
Miragee said:
AUOdere said:

I think they did it on purpose. His imitation just didn't look as good in general, which is only logical because Victor is leagues ahead and Yuri only copied his choreography.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but I think there are better ways to depict his current level (tiny fumbles, not jumping as high, etc). The choppiness was pretty distracting, at least for me :S
Oct 5, 2016 2:15 PM

Sep 2014
Besides one misspelling in russian this was great!
Oct 5, 2016 2:16 PM

Feb 2008
Free on Ice, could be AOTS with the right direction. The animation was really good.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 5, 2016 2:18 PM

Sep 2014
AUOdere said:
Miragee said:

Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but I think there are better ways to depict his current level (tiny fumbles, not jumping as high, etc). The choppiness was pretty distracting, at least for me :S

Yeah you are right of course. This is probably a budget issue as well.
Oct 5, 2016 2:22 PM

May 2009
My expectations were already high and the show still managed to blow me away.
Oct 5, 2016 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
Miragee said:
I guess I have rarely been as torn on a first ep as here. On one hand, everything serious, the whole scating part and the more natural character interactions (Yuri x Yoko) were cool and pretty much what I expected from this anime. On the other hand, every attempt at comedy was fucking terrible and destroyed everything. Sayo please, for fuck's sake, just throw your garbage comedy out of the window and gift us an AotS...
Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks the comedy was straight up awful.
Oct 5, 2016 2:45 PM
Jun 2016
I"m impressed, beatiful opening, decent ending, the art style is so strange, it so reminds me of the 1980's anime, like macross and such, I like how it works, I like the dulled colours, but the charecters is awesome :>
Oct 5, 2016 2:47 PM

Mar 2015
This was awesome, the characters are Great(even with the parasyte protagonist design)

Great start
Oct 5, 2016 2:48 PM

Aug 2015
DatRandomDude said:
AvidAnimeViewer said:
Both anime share the same characters designer !

I know, it's just that they're so different shows that it makes me laugh!
Oct 5, 2016 2:49 PM

Mar 2015
DAT ASS

After the spoilers dropped it was quite clear what to exspect from this show. It didn't disappoint. Victor, mmh DAT ASS.

WELL, the ED scenes could come straight out of a BL anime. Let me comb your hair, let me wash your hair...

Great. Surely a candidate for AOTS.
Oct 5, 2016 2:50 PM

Dec 2014
This took my expectations and surpassed them ten fold. I'm even more excited for this anime now than I was before it was airing if that's somehow possible.
Oct 5, 2016 2:53 PM

Sep 2008
I watched it.
Why I watched it?
I was so scared to watch it.
I thought this gonna be totally BL thing, but... well... this was pretty good!
Love comedy and... that animation! *.*

That opening! I feel this gonna be meme! xD
I see Shingeki no Kyojin version of OP xD

Ending theme is also pretty cool!
Kinda tumblrish xD

Oh... that scene from preview...
I don't know how I gonna deal with BL vibes from this series... ;_;
Oct 5, 2016 2:55 PM

Mar 2015
LittleStar said:

I don't know how I gonna deal with BL vibes from this series... ;_;

Resistance is futile, young apprentice. Let the BL flow through you.
Oct 5, 2016 2:58 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Holy shit, that was fantastic! By far the best first episode of the season. This looks like the clear, "way too early," front-runner for AOTS
Oct 5, 2016 3:08 PM

Jun 2012
Not as gay as I expected.
Oct 5, 2016 3:16 PM
Oct 2015
Holy fugs, I was hearing alot of hype so I went in with some expectations but I didn't expect it to be this friggin good. Sasuga Watanabe's apprentice. Eupho is back and better then ever and this show kicks just as much ass, we got a helluva season folks. Heaz my thoughts.
-Minako sensei is 8 outa gr8 I would d8 wish I could m8 holy fuck she is perfect.
-Op is by Japanese Angels and Airwaves
-Mc gets cucked by his old crush in first episode hits me right in the NTR sweet spot
-Also cuck crush is another first class qt
-Show can be watched by men and women for qts FANSERVICE FOR ALL!!!
-Shinichi from parasyte died his hair black and got chubby and decided to use his parasyte strength to become a world renowned Ice skater
Oct 5, 2016 3:24 PM

Jul 2015
At first I was let down that the show was so much cheekier than the trailers suggested but it eventually won me over with splendid animation, art and good pacing.

Might be the best TV anime this year tbh.
Oct 5, 2016 3:44 PM

May 2014
The OP is just on point, nothing too much or too few. But I got a little bit confused with Yuri, he's fat and suddenly he appears skinny again, it is just??¿???¿ I really liked it, i'm a fudanshi so Yuri on Ice is just like heaven to me
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movie got cancelled ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 18

55 by BishopBriggs »»
8 hours ago

» A petition was made to save the movie

Old_School_Akira - Yesterday

9 by Mimi_Jazmin »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

474 by yourlocalworm »»
Apr 19, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2016

205 by ZolaZodiac »»
Mar 20, 5:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2016

235 by Musical_grl »»
Mar 16, 3:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.