Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 27, 2016 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, they really took their sweet time even in this episode for the buildup.

Seriously, the pacing of this show is almost laughable. The final performance was okay I guess? Breakers certainly did better than their previous runs.
Sep 27, 2016 8:58 AM

Dec 2014
well typical end... the thing about the diaries was sweet
Sep 27, 2016 9:39 AM

Nov 2008
ibraheem234 said:

Yeah, I think the diary-thing was quite good too. :D

--

To be honest, I was ready to be disappointed after the art quality dropped in the previous episode. But I'm glad the last episode was really good!
Sep 27, 2016 10:02 AM
Jul 2018
The diary-thing was quite sweet!
Sep 27, 2016 12:34 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Probably the best final episode of the season so far. Couldn't wish for anything more than this. The growth of the characters was shown through the notebooks, really cool and effective idea. I'll miss this, i have to say.
Almost 8/10, but it wasn't a big thing for the whole anime, really decent though.
Sep 27, 2016 12:50 PM

Oct 2011
Diary moments with everyone 😭😭😭😭😭
Sep 27, 2016 1:28 PM

Dec 2013
Well, it took it's sweet time.
I did like the anime though. Recently there are more sports anime, so when I saw one about (male) cheerleading I thought it would be fun.

Though I would like to know if they won or not... Damn cliffhangers ;-;

I think it was a good finale.

Sep 27, 2016 1:36 PM

Jun 2014
When I first read the synopsis for this anime at the beginning of the season, I was skeptical about it.

I am so glad that I went with my gut and watched the whole season! This was a great series and I loved the diaries and the development of the characters!

8/10!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Sep 27, 2016 2:05 PM

Oct 2012
When I first saw ep 1 of this, I was fairly underwhelmed with it, but I have to say that after 12 eps I have seriously come to love this show!

A novel sport and a story that essentially showed the cool guy relationship in a team and all the fun antics that came with it, while developing the large cast decently. Especially the original 7, they got quite a bit of improvement although Gen and Sou weren't quite there xD
Mizoguchi though was a joy to watch throughout the entire series, and he had some nice development

I'm very glad that they showed a good portion of their performance and I really liked seeing everyone smiling and how they all moved forward in life together.

Overall a great watch for me, LET'S GO BREAKERS!
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Sep 27, 2016 4:00 PM

Apr 2015
Great finale to an awesome series!

In my head I kept comparing this show to Free!, but really this show was the better of the two. I cared about the characters and enjoyed the peek at their lives each week. The show was more about the team itself, than the sport, and that works here.

I'm going to miss this show.
Sep 27, 2016 5:18 PM

Jun 2014
>Show about cheerleading
>Only one episode with real choreography
>Even then wasnt that impressive (from an animation standpoint)
Sep 27, 2016 6:07 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I got emotional at the end performance, with the member's diary entries and flashback of their hard work throughout the series. I'm really proud of them, this show wasn't about cheerleading as much as it was about them overcoming whatever they wanted to or were afraid of. Haru gained a lot of confidence. True to slice of life, the characters grew by the end in a realistic way. I really liked the characters, and overall it was an enjoyable watch. As a SoL lover who likes that sort of mundane atmosphere without too much drama, Cheer Danshi! was the perfect summer watch. I think the show accomplished what it set out to do, which has to do with their team name "Breakers."

Also, it's Brains Base, they pretty much specializes in SoL and are not known for sakuga. They're the animation company that producers/publishers would likely go to for, more or less, consistent quality with average to below average budget, from what I've gathered of the shows I've watched animated by them. Sure it's not an excuse, but again, it's not really a show about cheerleading. It's about people who grow after joining a cheerleading club for whatever reasons they had for doing so.
Sep 28, 2016 4:13 AM

Jun 2016
ust started this for fun and expected it to be shitty... ended up being the one I was the most happy to see updated! May not have the most complex plot in the world, but is just soo enjoyable to watch!!! I,m gonna miss you guys!
Sep 28, 2016 5:47 AM

Mar 2015
To be honest, I enjoyed thisway more than I thought I would. Still I wish we could have seen them do more actual cheerleading. Well at least we got some awesome character growth. 7/10

Also Chen is such a boss, I love him.
Sep 28, 2016 7:11 AM
Jan 2013
They won, right? Right?!
I mean, I had a feeling the Sparks were like, the top people or something, and the bits of their performance you saw were quite inferior to what the Breakers did, so I think they won..

It would've been a nice little effect if, during the recruiting part in the end the flyers would've said something like, "Join Breakers, winners of the cheerleading Nationals 2016!" ..or whatever year it's supposed to be in..

Still found it a surprisingly fun anime.
*Sniff* my boys grew up..
Sep 28, 2016 7:29 AM

Apr 2013
Meaningful finale. Too bad, the story ends here. I want more. Gonna miss the whole cast.

Sep 28, 2016 8:13 AM
Jun 2016
i did really enjoy this anime (especially the gayness. honestly - haru's crush didn't seem very genuine and saku was canonically gay for kazu, we all know it)
the last episode was not really special, but it felt like a good ending that wasn't rushed (i'm still recovering from the servamp finale...) and the diary/notebook idea was really quite cute, i agree with previous posters on that.
i am really gonna miss the breakers and i hope they will make a second season! the possible new members would give enough plot opportunities i.m.o. (i haven't read the manga, so sorry if i am making incorrect assumptions...)
GO! FIGHT! WIN!
Sep 28, 2016 9:55 AM

May 2014
Even in the "finale" we didn't get a fully animated, uninterrupted, routine; and to top it all off, we didn't even get to see their results compared to Sparks! Sooo what was the point of it all?

This show is the definition of laziness. I can't even work out what their aim was - a weak attempt at appealing to fujoshis?
Sep 28, 2016 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
The structure of the story could be improved, too bad this series isn't as popular as free! or even binan koukou... anyway, I'm still hoping for a second season.
Sep 28, 2016 7:54 PM

Nov 2012
At last, they've reached the finals. Did they win or not? That's my question.

Sep 28, 2016 10:36 PM

Jun 2012
It ended as gay as it started, proud of that at the very least.
Sep 28, 2016 11:52 PM

Jul 2015
I loved this anime and all but... did they win or not?
Sep 29, 2016 5:40 AM
May 2015
What I liked in this episode was, how great the key animators did the cheer dance part. It was very good.
Sep 30, 2016 8:05 AM

Feb 2016
The notes were the best part.

But still. Quite disappointed with the scarcity of performances, uninterrupted and full.
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Sep 30, 2016 8:13 AM

Feb 2016
The notes were the best part.

But still. Quite disappointed with the scarcity of performances, uninterrupted and full.

I liked the first half more than the secomd half. They developed the 7 main characters slow and steady, I sort of connected with them and it was quite enjoyable actually.

The introduction of the other members ticked me off. Since they have to jot down all of their characters, they have to smack their stories right onto our faces. For me it was such a turn off.

But goddamn that soundtrack is also good.

6/10
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Oct 1, 2016 6:51 PM

Mar 2016
I enjoyed the show, the diary thing was cool and funny, I was glad they finally revealed everyone's goal and how they overcame their weaknesses. I do agree about the lack of performances but I still enjoyed the show nevertheless. I don't think they won though, I'd be surprised if they did.
Oct 3, 2016 9:10 PM

Jan 2011
A pretty solid series overall, but I felt like there was a drop in quality after the rest of the team got introduced.
Oct 4, 2016 7:10 AM

Oct 2013
I had wanted a nice full performance at the end without the itsy bitsy... the finale was a little plain.

I guess they probably didnt win as the aim seem to be breaking out from their previous self and the show was quite straightforward in projecting this main objective.

Refreshing as to usual sports anime. Something different. 7/10.
Oct 4, 2016 7:38 AM

Jun 2008
ibraheem234 said:
At least it wasn't like the Western animes/movies where they are considered the underdogs and win it. That's so annoying. I prefer to have these open ends with how they got to where they are. IMO that's true growth of a character.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Oct 4, 2016 9:59 AM

Aug 2013
what's the title of the song at 24:18 of this episode? the lyrics is English.
Oct 5, 2016 2:59 PM
Mar 2012
Quite liked the character growth, and the diaries wrapped up their goals well. Many had real troubles & overcame them together.
Sporty feel was consistent & motivational. Mizoguchi, Chen & Chipmunkman had better comedy than some this season.
I like how the episode didn't care about placement or circus, and went for "smile."
Oct 14, 2016 5:14 PM

May 2009
I really enjoyed the show. I think if the series was 24 eps it would have shown more stunts and performances, but I really like the main focus was about overcoming your obstacles, believing in yourself, and showing that by working together, you can achieve anything :) I'm going to miss these boys! T-T

Side Note: OMG! Steak from Tegami Bachi was on the cafe wall! I see what you did there, Hiroyuki Asada
;)
Oct 15, 2016 3:58 AM

Dec 2009
i think i enjoyed the show more than i expected!
still i was waiting for a decent performance scene all time along, so i guess i was a bit let down at the end. it was really cute though to let all of them read their diaries
I believe in karma what you give is what you get returned~ ♫
Oct 17, 2016 4:18 PM

Apr 2016
HanCoo said:
So did they win or not?
the world may never know :(
Oct 19, 2016 6:29 PM

Jun 2011
Really disappointed with this series. I had the first 2 episodes at 9. As it progresses, the series slowly drops to a low 8 for me, and kept dropping until the final episode. The one major issue I have with the series is the gain of a large cast of characters in a very short amount of time. I really missed the initial group of 4 and their chemistry. WIth the newly added characters that are not funny but annoying, the screen time for characters like Wataru and Ton reduced a lot, and that's a huge shame.

There are things I really liked about the series, and really thought the series had a lot of potential, but there are also equally as annoying things. I also really dislike the (feel like) last second cuck for Haru, just.. no.. I couldn't even look at Chihiro without disliking her now. She shouldn't have spent so much time with Haru and leading him on if she already has a boyfriend.

In the end, it was still a good series, but not as good as the beginning, and not as good as it could have been.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 26, 2016 2:48 AM

Jul 2014
I enjoyed this anime, mainly the characters. The development was good and I like that they emphasized each of the characters to a certain degree at least enough to really show how different they are. Only thing I wish was different I guess is the cheerleading part itself... there wasn't much shown for an anime that's supposed to be about cheerleading. Ah, also I'm not a fan of Chihiro. I don't even know what to think of her character anymore after that little reveal about her relationship. Pft.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Nov 11, 2016 2:29 AM

May 2010
i really liked this anime, good thing i give this chance.
the beginning was so great but become less great as the story progress but still liked it very much.
give this 7.
Nov 11, 2016 9:11 PM
Feb 2010
Guranto-kun said:
what's the title of the song at 24:18 of this episode? the lyrics is English.

the title is " Cheer to the sky" - and it's included in the original soundtrack CD2 Track No.17 -

I have no confirmation yet,but most probably the performers of this song is the band "Luck life" (who sang the opening song of this anime by the way ^_^ )

and yes as far as I can hear from the small parts it was English :D

something along those lines I think :
"Go! we Fight together , we born to be one,
so let's (...) our hearts, now (....)
no need to delay (?) , our (....)
cheer to the sky~ "
:D

I can't really tell what's he saying, I only can hear few words from here and there LOL

I hope this helps ^__^
Nov 16, 2016 9:14 PM

May 2008
Really enjoyed this but pretty disappointed that we really only got to see one full routine throughout the whole season.
Nov 25, 2016 6:21 AM
Jun 2016
Cheer danshi ending was heart warming and it move me to tears. I don't want it to end but...
what an ending. Everybody got character development.
Chen became the MVP of the series, Haru overcome is fear of heights, Kazu was able to tell Haru his grandma is not doing well, Ton got a girlfriend that at first I was mad that he stole Haru's future love interest but at the end of the series I was glad that Ton have her cause remember Ton joins the team to change his life and a girl can fix that no problem. Wataru will stop quote phrases from people that no one knows, Sho was able to face his pass, Hissashi is able to accept people have personal life besides cheerleading, Haruko accept that Haru doesn't want to do judo.

Cheer danshi get a 10/10 for me and will be in my favorite list for a very long time
and I would recommend this series to the end of the world if I have to.
Dec 14, 2016 12:27 AM

Oct 2015
This anime was more about cheering up themselves than cheering for the team. Anyway it was a great motivation for young boys facing life crises and inspiring. I guess the writer was aiming at audience motivation rather than sportsmanship. In the end they never revealed if they won or not.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 24, 2016 5:22 AM
Jun 2016
They actually focus on the basic of cheerleading and what is a cheerleader instead of performances after performances after performances.

The ending to it is weird at first but when you think about it cheerleading is not about wining or losing. Is about supporting people, making them smile and inspired them
Dec 26, 2016 2:09 PM

Jun 2014
Unbelievably enough, this ended up being a very solid, straightforward sports series and it wasn't even close to being a fujo oriented show. I really have to say that I'm impressed, the characters actually had some decent development and even if they roles were minor, they threw in a lot of motivational stuff and this series really sends a bunch of positive messages from multiple perspectives. This show is literally about breaking through the problems you may come across in life and in this case, being involved in a sport where teamwork is crucial. Also, this show puts an emphasis on doing whatever you want and what makes you happy, despite what others think of you. The animation wasn't anything special, but who cares, when the show has so much character to it, plus this is a very unique sport which we'll probably never see an anime about ever again.

A potentially generous 7.5/10, I just had a fun time all the way through and this show had a ton of solid themes, I'm legit impressed.
:3
Dec 27, 2016 2:39 PM
Jun 2016
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, they really took their sweet time even in this episode for the buildup.

Seriously, the pacing of this show is almost laughable. The final performance was okay I guess? Breakers certainly did better than their previous runs.

Err... You do know the show has no story right??
You telling me there's a story in this description??
Haruki Bandou was born into a family of Judo marital artists and expected to continue the family legacy. But he’s about to trade Judo for…cheerleading?! When his childhood friend Kazuma Hashimoto invites him to join the BREAKERS, a male cheerleading club, Haru finds himself amongst a quirky group of boys. Can this squad of slightly odd and cute members make a breakthrough in college athletics?
Dec 29, 2016 9:56 PM

Mar 2015
The sharing of notebooks was a nice touch. But I'll probably forget I ever watched this anime down the line!

6/10
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 26, 2017 6:55 PM

Feb 2015
Huh... well, it's not bad? It's actually kind of nice. I just wanted more cheerleading
Apr 3, 2017 11:51 PM

Dec 2016
In my opinion, it was quite good, i really loved the atmosphere in the anime and also i became quite found of the main characters. I liked that the writers focused in give us a positive message, with this i mean that if you really tried and work hard you can reach your goals, specially when you are not doing it alone.

I will miss this anime :')
Feb 26, 2018 3:31 PM

Jan 2018
I wish there was more of the actual performance, considering we didn't get anything from the qualifiers. What we did get of their routine I enjoyed, so I just wanted more.
I will say, that single "thud" of the landing after their unified jump with the splits was a uniquely satisfying experience. Like watching a really good K-Pop dance practice.

I get it though. There was so much build up that I guess I figured out it was more about how the team helped them all to grow as individuals anyway. The way they handled the self-reflection notebooks was quite beautiful, I think. I'm happy overall with this series.
Jan 14, 2020 6:32 AM

Aug 2012
First 5 or so episodes of this were pretty decent, mainly because they actually focused on the cheerleading aspect of the show and the characters learning new skills. The show also spent time explaining some of the moves etc. It wasn't amazing or anything but it was decent and the characters were (while cheesy) fun to be around.

Then the group expands from 7 to 17 and immediately the show began to nose dive. It was just far too much to deal with. Just couldn't connect with that many characters, none of them really got that much of a chance to breath.

Then the story of the show goes from cheerleading to melodrama central. In the shows attempt to give each of this massive cast some sort of spotlight and character development we were suddenly rushed through a bunch of drama for each of them. Each situation less interesting than the last. Like the show was desperate for us to care about these characters but at 12 episodes the running time just wasn't there to allow for that.

Also somewhat ironically the show about characters desperate to make people 'Smile' through their cheerleading goes on a 6 episode jaunt of all the characters doing anything but that.

Seeing Haru get shot down effectively by the love interest the show served up for us was just the icing on a bad second half of this show. Like what was the purpose of that? Why even bother with that shit at all? It served zero purpose in building character or story. It was a twist for twists sake and did nothing but make me feel hurt for Haru.

Like I said at first I think this show was originally decent for those first 5 episodes. Nothing amazing but was a fun enough viewing. But man the next 7 episodes were such a misstep for me. Like the show just completely changed what it was about. I mean we don't actually see them practice, we seem them at every moment before or after practice but not when they actually practice. We don't learn about any new moves beyond the Pyramid thing. The second time we actually get to see them perform at all (and the first as a full 17 member squad) is over the credits of the final episode.

Anyway I waffled on long enough. 6/10 for me. Not the worst show in the world but could have been better without all that needless drama.
Apr 11, 2020 12:06 PM

Jun 2014
The rating is lower than I thought and also this wasn't so fujo bait than i thought. I just randomly click this anime even tho I always avoid fujo bait series. I only decided to finish this because of Sugita (VA of Mizo). Quite entertaining, some touching moments, i love their brotherhood but the drama was mediocre.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» does anyone know if cheer boys/danshi boys is kid appropriate

Haikyuu_ForLife - Jan 25, 2023

6 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Jan 26, 2023 5:28 AM

Poll: » Cheer Danshi!! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2016

44 by Stormy_77 »»
Oct 28, 2022 9:33 PM

Poll: » Cheer Danshi!! Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2016

27 by Stormy_77 »»
Oct 28, 2022 9:13 PM

Poll: » Cheer Danshi!! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2016

22 by Stormy_77 »»
Oct 28, 2022 8:54 PM

Poll: » Cheer Danshi!! Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2016

35 by Stormy_77 »»
Oct 28, 2022 6:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.