Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « First ... « 21 22 [23] 24 25 » ... Last »
Mar 19, 2016 12:58 PM

Jul 2010
Does anyone know if there is a particular scene relating to the last thing that Saki said about Squealer working with Kiroumaru the whole time?

Mar 20, 2016 8:41 AM

Sep 2014
Syonos said:
In this case like in many others Shinsekai doesn't leave you with a message but with questions :
what makes humans human? is it right to make slaves of creatures
that are inferior to you? and many more... you have to find your own answers

I'm not at all the best member of mankind but what makes me feel human is simply Compassion and Kindness.
If we're that "superior", I think we should begin to ask ourselves if we are horrible with those "inferior" beings, try to find an other way than using them to our profit and try to make a better world to ours species.
Because I believe our "superior" powers make us able to find a more "human" solution.

Here, I'm mad It has only one or two damn characters who have compassion of Queerats. Frankly, if I was in this world and saw what did we do to them in the end (Squealer and the survivors), I'll go to live with the Queerats and find a way to defence themselves against us and our "superiority"...

Well, to be honest, I'm really fed up how much we represent us in fictions as the beacon of Light of the universe, the race with something special than ANY others races didn't have and make us godlikely powerfull (F*** Gurren Lagann!!!) or the biggest assholes in the creation and submit everything we can in the worst way possible...and in the both ways, we beat the shit out anything who stand against us!

It's that hard to have a compromise? An other way than making us huge hypocrites or monsters?
Mar 20, 2016 11:10 AM
May 2015
Very well made series. it gets interesting every episode. Overall 9/10, because i don't really think that was a happy ending at all. What the hell happened to Mamoru and Maria? Are they dead by any chance? And why didn't Shun come back to life :'(
Mar 21, 2016 7:40 AM

May 2015
I struggled watching this anime from start to finish. Pacing was off at times and I didn't necessarily enjoy the arcs. There is definitely questions left at the end that leave me feeling unresolved. I'm feeling a strong 6 to light 7 on this.
Mar 24, 2016 2:30 PM

May 2009
Smooki said:
VodkaVladi said:
One question.
Akki killed Kiroumaru and died because "both are molerats", but didn't she kill many other molerats before ?
If I remember correctly she used her abilities to fight against Kiroumarus man. To stop the arrows and send them back. Why did she not die there ?

the arrows werent used, she just used her power to stop the arrows, she didnt kill any rats

ok so glad to know! I was wondering how on earth was she able to help destroy the older mole rats/Kiroumarus colony. Because she can't kill them or she herself would soon die after with the death of shame. I has been bothering me for a while and I have been wanting to know. thanks and makes sense now.

Visit my anime review blog on TisLife.net and on YOUTUBE, thanks!
Mar 25, 2016 7:32 PM

Apr 2009
The novel translation's finished today

http://shinsekai.cadet-nine.org/page-537-539/#comments

Until now, the thought of having kids scared me, but not any more. Children are hope, and no matter what happens from now on, I believe I can raise them well.

We agreed that we’d name the baby Shun if it was a boy, and Maria if it was a girl.

Shun hasn’t appeared once since the event ten years ago. I’m sure he’s sleeping somewhere deep in the ocean of my subconscious. Even so, he’s still always watching over us.

Late at night, when things have fallen silent all around me, I sink into a chair and close my eyes.

The memory that floats to the surface is always the same.

In the darkness at the back of the temple, a flame burns above the altar. Sparks burst from the fire like orange snowflakes, interrupting the sound of chanting coming from beneath the earth.

Each time, I wonder why it’s this scene.

I’ve always thought it was because the hypnotic suggestion from my initiation ceremony was that powerful.

But now that I’m nearing the end of this book, I don’t think that’s the reason.

The flames are eternal, symbolizing my continual move toward the future.

Like I wrote at the beginning, I’ll make two copies of the book, put them all in a time capsule and bury it deep underground. I’ll also have a false minoshiro scan it into its memory, to be released a millennium from now.

Will we really be able to change? When you’re reading this a thousand years from now, maybe you’ll have the answer.

Hopefully, the answer is ‘yes’.

245, December 1 Saki Watanabe

This might be superfluous, but I want to include the quote written on the walls of Sage Academy.

The power of imagination is what changes everything
Mar 28, 2016 5:36 PM

Feb 2015
Absolute masterpiece. An ending this perfect is hard to come by. 10/10. It started off slow, but it very quickly became one of the best I've seen.
Mar 28, 2016 5:41 PM

Feb 2015
AyanoShibazeki said:
Very well made series. it gets interesting every episode. Overall 9/10, because i don't really think that was a happy ending at all. What the hell happened to Mamoru and Maria? Are they dead by any chance? And why didn't Shun come back to life :'(

they all died. Think about it, it would seem like a huge cop-out if everyone just magically came back to life. They killed Maria and Mamoru as soon as the child was born, and we saw Shun die. It's a sad ending but I think it's also quite a happy one, all things considered.
Mar 30, 2016 9:39 AM

Mar 2010
What an amazing anime. This shit right here is exactly why I'm watching this medium. I thought the queerats were the people without Cantus the second the false minoshiro refused to answer that question, so I can't believe I was actually right. I thought they mutated on their own through Cantus leakage, though, so I wasn't 100% correct. I loved everything about the ending, the moral questions it posed and the sense of new hope. 10/10, this is going into my favorite anime.
Mar 30, 2016 10:42 AM

Jul 2012
YAY THE NOVEL TRANSLATION FINISHED

PRAISE THE LORD
Apr 9, 2016 10:26 AM
May 2012
RIP, Squealer and Kiroumaru. To think that the characters I really like in this show are both "Queerats".
So, we saw two girls and two boys kiss, but they got shy to show us one man and one woman kiss....okay.
Well, good Anime. I especially like the music. It's really great.
Apr 10, 2016 11:15 AM
Nov 2014
I have just a question about the episode 23-24 how the demon has been defeat ??
Apr 10, 2016 2:25 PM

Aug 2014
Luke72 said:
Absolute masterpiece. An ending this perfect is hard to come by. 10/10. It started off slow, but it very quickly became one of the best I've seen.

The slow start was one of the reasons why I postponed the series until a few days ago. I'm glad I picked it back up again.
Apr 18, 2016 1:47 PM

Mar 2008
Mayuka said:
YAY THE NOVEL TRANSLATION FINISHED

PRAISE THE LORD

wait really? YEEES
fuck my life why do I have finals so soon.... thanks for saying that though I'll read it!
Apr 27, 2016 10:01 PM

Sep 2014
Great ending. 9/10. First half was iffy but really delivered in the end, especially in its final moments. Squealer ftw.
Apr 28, 2016 9:41 AM

May 2015
I kinda hoped that all friends would come together in the end. The anime was quite amazing, but i don't feel really satisfied? i expected like this big plot twist ending. idek

8/10
Apr 29, 2016 7:31 AM

Sep 2015
6/10 overall.

Amazing world building, interesting themes and ethics it brought up, great soundtrack, but it had multiple shifts of tone. I never really quite knew what the show was aiming to be. At the start, it seemed sort of like a mystery-thriller kind of thing. Kids are going missing, there are dangerous creatures stalking them in the shadows, ominous tales of fiends and sacrifice.

Then it turns into lots of rats killing each other. A fair bit of action and adventure. Calms down in the middle before turning into a game of hide and seek with Maria / Mamoru before moving onto the last arc, which was based on a plot hole / inconsistency.

It was quite intriguing but the shifting tones made it seem a little disjointed. And it was really let down by the highly inconsistently applied Attack Inhibition / Death Feedback.

Shame that, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 2, 2016 7:52 AM
Jul 2010
Interesting series!

Only 1 real problem though... and that is, if you are mutating the non cantus-users into mole-rats, you can't do that without having access to ALL the non cantus-users.

So, humans stood at a precipice with full control, and rather than just kill off all the non cantus-users, they made them into inhuman slaves?

This makes little to no sense. They have little use for slaves, with their cantus allowing them to do large amounts of work. And we don't ever see anyone in their society performing actual work other than teachers. What do they do the rest of the time? Lounge around?

With their cantus, they should be able to run an entire society without slaves and still have it much easier than regular humans due to the help that cantus provides.

And in the long run, as long as they created a bunch of the cats, they could use them and other monsters to defend themselves from the non cantus-users and live parallel to the non-cantus humans.

Its a good story! But it presents some false dilemmas in its premise and its world building.
May 2, 2016 1:10 PM

Feb 2013
DeliciouScience said:
Interesting series!

Only 1 real problem though... and that is, if you are mutating the non cantus-users into mole-rats, you can't do that without having access to ALL the non cantus-users.

So, humans stood at a precipice with full control, and rather than just kill off all the non cantus-users, they made them into inhuman slaves?

This makes little to no sense. They have little use for slaves, with their cantus allowing them to do large amounts of work. And we don't ever see anyone in their society performing actual work other than teachers. What do they do the rest of the time? Lounge around?

With their cantus, they should be able to run an entire society without slaves and still have it much easier than regular humans due to the help that cantus provides.

And in the long run, as long as they created a bunch of the cats, they could use them and other monsters to defend themselves from the non cantus-users and live parallel to the non-cantus humans.

Its a good story! But it presents some false dilemmas in its premise and its world building.

Interesting. I disagree, but still. They have actually no work to do anymore with changed humans and the changed animes. you have seen them at the beginning when they went to a structure which has all the animes. It seemed there were also very few worker. I also think, since the scientists did the change they were also curious how the outcome will be.

You also know some jobs, sakis mother worked in the library, her father was a judge, There were teacher, the monks which seemed like a police and theses deathgods or smth which control the other species. But I think the society, kept the amount of children also because there shouldn't be too many for the future in control. They said saki was the last one, so I guess all the other children there died.

Beside humans who could use cantus wanted to have a society in which their are god and do no low work anymore
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
May 8, 2016 7:47 PM

Dec 2009
This series was absolutely brilliant. It is rare that i actually come across a story of a calibre i can consider truly on par with what people are able to create when they try.

I have seen my fair share of harsh tales and gruesome depiction, but i've never before come out of a series so bewitched by how horribly twisted it is, to the point where i feel like i'm twisted enough to play with lives and be so good that i feel like i like it. A brilliantly emotionally scarring series indeed.

I have a feeling many of the prospects, philosophical exposition, technicalities, and the mere magnitude of what things that happened truly mean, went over a lot of viewers' heads. Shinsekai yori is a very intellectual story that takes a lot of thought and understanding to grasp what's really been happening. Due to an unfortunate desensitized public or perhaps just not giving any thought or comparison to what things mean in comparison to one's own life - loss of loved ones in gruesome manners, witnessing things like that yourself, the incredible burden of guilt... Example: (Do not do this, only understand these things are not without weight - warning: bad) Just sit there and imagine if someone you love was being gutted before your eyes, and it being something you caused.
It's an absolutely horrendous scene, but that's what Shinsekai yori does.

A story like this is written to be horrifying, it's terrible and sad, it's a story shared, but you won't forget how it carved into your heart.

Shinsekai yori is truly twisted to the core, the entire world and scenario in which these characters are locked is dark beyond words: hell dressed up in angelic gowns. Everything you didn't want to happen, happened; the world is flipped on it's head and trashed. All you're left with is a hollow feeling of nothing accomplished, and a bewilderment of brilliance and insanity.
..... I'll be honest, truly i'm completely at a loss of words to adequately define it. After careful analysis i've not found any actually significant plot device / technical issues anywhere. There were some aspects that i found a little odd or awkward in it's portrayal; it's sort of occult thriller feel it gave off before shifting gears was almost too otherworldly and harder to relate to, thus the only reason i don't give this a 10. -- People giving shallow responses to this probably didn't comprehend all of the sexuality, society, psychology, sociology, rules of nature, history, and so on that really were deeply addressed in this story. Their post-apoc society they built was inherently unsustainable for the very reasons shown: eventually someone will make an error and start a chain reaction that could destroy everything.

...Remember back, years ago, that trip they took out to explore a bit, and ran into things they wish they hadn't. Saki and Satoru were dealing with the invading queerats, and being assisted by Squealer to get out. Satoru was getting worn out, and Saki innocently voiced that he was getting tired and almost realized that was a mistake. She wouldn't even realize how big of a mistake that actually was. She told Squealer that hey could get tired, they weren't all powerful, they had weaknesses - Adolf Squealer was born, and the revolution plans began. Only bloodshed could come after that point.

Shinsekai yori: a story who's darkness puts Elfen Lied to shame. The pinnacle of tragedy, and in a way, a learning experience.
I will remember it forever.
GenesisAriaMay 8, 2016 8:39 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
May 9, 2016 12:29 AM
Jan 2015
8.5/10

The story is quite original and unique in its' own way . I also like seeing many character's perspective . there is not a character that are really good or evil ,most of them were at line of grey.. which make them more complex . they all have their own reason of doing things despite the methods that they are using . Although some of their actions may feel overboard .

let's see , we have our protagonist Saki's Point of view surely , it will be too lengthy if I talk about it , so let's skip it.. we have board of ethics view point too , they are doing dirty things which can be considered evil and disgusting ..I think so as well , seriously , eliminating students like that.. but at their POV , they were afraid and were doing it to prevent tragedies of fiend and karma demon to happen again ..we have already seen what happen , even one fiend(although she is not really a fiend) can single-handedly destroy almost all of them easily . and , whatmore , it started because of their own actions(try eliminating Mamoru )

then , we also have Kiroumaru and Squaler's POV , they are doing their actions for same things , survival of their colonies , yet the methods that they are use was very different

Kiroumaru is very loyal to humans and very honorable person . But , despite of that ,he also have his own reasons to ensure their survival and also try to search the ways to turn the tides around which make his characters more complex

then , about Squaler ,he is very cunning and dirty , what he had done especially at the few last episodes , was very despicable . but it his own ways of doing things . At the other side of coin , what he were doing is revolution to ensure the better chance of survival at the future .

Overall this was a great anime , especially for people who like watching dark stories . The anime also doing especially good at bring the chills at some moments .
frankykun13May 9, 2016 12:33 AM
May 22, 2016 5:07 PM
Dec 2014
Ha I knew it. I liked Squealer and now I know why.

Can't say I'm entirely surprised. The villagers had god like powers, of course they acted like ones.

I hate slavery. Not because of the slaves (anyone who doesn't resist untill death deserves to be treated as a beast) but because it corrupts the human soul/spirit of those who enslave them.
May 25, 2016 1:49 PM

Mar 2016
Did not like so much .5-6/10 .

Unique ,but not exciting .Insightful ,but not groundbreaking .

GenesisAria said:
People giving shallow responses to this probably didn't comprehend all of the sexuality, society, psychology, sociology, rules of nature, history, and so on that really were deeply addressed in this story.

I'm pretty sure that I did .But you lost me on sexuality .Elaborate please .

GenesisAria said:
...Remember back, years ago, that trip they took out to explore a bit, and ran into things they wish they hadn't. Saki and Satoru were dealing with the invading queerats, and being assisted by Squealer to get out. Satoru was getting worn out, and Saki innocently voiced that he was getting tired and almost realized that was a mistake. She wouldn't even realize how big of a mistake that actually was. She told Squealer that hey could get tired, they weren't all powerful, they had weaknesses - Adolf Squealer was born, and the revolution plans began. Only bloodshed could come after that point.

Oh? That's pretty interesting .I guess those are the little details that only rewatchers can pick out .Might rewatch after all .
May 25, 2016 8:23 PM

Dec 2009
TheDeadApostle said:
GenesisAria said:
People giving shallow responses to this probably didn't comprehend all of the sexuality, society, psychology, sociology, rules of nature, history, and so on that really were deeply addressed in this story.
You didn't notice the stuff about sexual identity and so on? That's what the yuri yaoi and love polygons stuff was all about.

TheDeadApostle said:
GenesisAria said:
Oh? That's pretty interesting .I guess those are the little details that only rewatchers can pick out .Might rewatch after all .
I only watched this series once so far (well once and a bit, i got a few eps in before and then was sidetracked. There's definitely going to be things to spot in a rewatch though - it was very dense.

May 25, 2016 11:09 PM

Mar 2016
GenesisAria said:
TheDeadApostle said:
You didn't notice the stuff about sexual identity and so on? That's what the yuri yaoi and love polygons .....

Well I did (it's one of the most controversial parts) but I wouldn't say it was particularly deep .The sexual liberty were just one of the complementary aspects to the main story .
May 25, 2016 11:49 PM

Dec 2009
TheDeadApostle said:
GenesisAria said:
You didn't notice the stuff about sexual identity and so on? That's what the yuri yaoi and love polygons .....

Well I did (it's one of the most controversial parts) but I wouldn't say it was particularly deep .The sexual liberty were just one of the complementary aspects to the main story .
It wasn't about liberty, it was about identity. The subtext of venting out things related to their power development through sexual activities (of same sex?) is philosophically analogous to how sexuality is often used and/or abused in irl young people, etc etc.

May 26, 2016 12:08 AM

Mar 2016
GenesisAria said:
TheDeadApostle said:

It wasn't about liberty, it was about identity. The subtext of venting out things related to their power development through sexual activities (of same sex?) is philosophically analogous to how sexuality is often used and/or abused in irl young people, etc etc.

There's a relation but I'm not sure if that was what the show was going for .It's been a while since I watched the show to correct me if I'm off somewhere : It's not that samesex relationships were encouraged but that they weren't discouraged at all .The sexual release was basically to vent out their stress and help keep everyone from falling out of line and becoming a demon (I can't remember the term they used .I might be off) .Deciding to stop a particular form of sexual expression would be asking for bad things to happen .Rather than being an intentional analogy I'd say it was just an aspect of the show's world building which just happened to fit in place with rl .
OduduwaMay 26, 2016 4:00 AM
May 26, 2016 9:15 AM

Dec 2009
TheDeadApostle said:
There's a relation but I'm not sure if that was what the show was going for .It's been a while since I watched the show to correct me if I'm off somewhere : It's not that samesex relationships were encouraged but that they weren't discouraged at all .The sexual release was basically to vent out their stress and help keep everyone from falling out of line and becoming a demon (I can't remember the term they used .I might be off) .Deciding to stop a particular form of sexual expression would be asking for bad things to happen .Rather than being an intentional analogy I'd say it was just an aspect of the show's world building which just happened to fit in place with rl .
In my years of studying anime, it's rarely that shallow, especially in series that take themselves seriously like this. Never underestimate the amount of thought put into stories by japanese writers; often even the silliest premises have a lot of deep thought put into them. Anyway, even if it wasn't the intended message, that's what it gave. There was definitely more to it than just venting - if it was just venting they wouldn't have paid much attention to it. While it was a more subtle note, it was definitely present in the background throughout the series. Even when Mamoru and Maria left on their own, that was all related to discovering and deciding on their love and sexuality. I'm no good at trying to explain things and getting to the point, i'd have to rewatch it to properly sell that thesis.

But seriously, most anime, are loaded with modern society analogies and satire. Things people do that make no sense, rules of society that have no solid logic, and so on. All the anime, games, manga i see are just littered with the stuff: it's what happens in a free(open) media.

Jun 1, 2016 11:39 AM

Jan 2014
This was a 9/10 for me up until episode 10-11, and then everything that happened after that was entirely predictable and had zero impact on me personally. Saki annoyed the ever living hell out of me since episode 14 I believe it was. Either way, I was hoping there would be some insane twist or something cool to happen but ya, that didn't happen. This tried far too hard to be some sort of philosophical revelation, and fell almost entirely flat. The last 8 episodes were garbage.

9/10 for the first 12 or so episodes, 6/10 for the rest.
Jun 7, 2016 4:35 PM

Jul 2013
Is it just me that found this anime really bad and not enjoyable in the slightest?
Jun 9, 2016 2:32 AM
Dec 2014
I watched it when it first aired and got immediately fascinated by the world. Re-watched most of it on a whim in the last two days. I really like how the show makes me think, not just about what is going on, the ethics, and everything leading to that society.

In terms of criticism, I must say that I didn't really like Saki for much of the story, and felt that she was a catalyst for some of the things that happened, and she let her heart do the thinking too often, sometime leading to disastrous consequences. Still, there probably wouldn't be much of a story if Saki was like every other characters. I also remember not liking the art very much at the beginning, but somehow it didn't bother me anymore when I re-watched it. The music, while appropriate and inoffensive wasn't that memorable.

As a whole though, I loved how the provoking aspect of this anime was, and give it 9/10. I feel like they did a great job painting a credible "what-if" scenario (the social and psychological impact PK-users may have on society), and everything from starts to finish fits pretty well together.
Jul 5, 2016 1:43 AM
Feb 2016
While the ending is certainly a bittersweet and even a hopeful one, I like it that way because that's exactly how reality is mirrored when it comes to the show dealing with the social subtext of existing sustaining powers of the collective groups and lower class citizens of society. There certainly isn't a fairytale, clear-cut answer to it (which is obvious to see when we look at real life) and the show did a good job showcasing how history and civilization on Earth changes as a result of this power struggle of the respective stakeholders.

Yet, while change is good, we can see from Shun's words that "We ultimately fear what spawns from within us" the very thing that Queerats try to override, their acts of terror eventually become one of them as well. There some parallels to George Orwell's Animal Farm based from that. The key detail that we learnt in the final episode here about them being a descendant of humans once again illustrates the existing hierarchy problems I mentioned earlier. All of this is derived from a human element and its existing morality, hence it's neither right or wrong in absolute terms.

As a result, the notions of order, chaos, paranoia are all being utilized to great effect as a consequence to the show's atmospheric world-building with contrast to the show's depiction of an "utopia" in beginning of the series.
Icarus_primeJul 5, 2016 1:49 AM
Jul 20, 2016 4:43 PM
Oct 2013
The ending made me feel so distressed about what happened to all the wonderful people (especially Mamoru and Maria), I couldn't stop thinking about it the whole day. I needed to watch some Nyon Nyon Biyori to make myself feel better.
Jul 20, 2016 6:03 PM

Jun 2016
Wow... just wow... fantastic series as a whole, has skyrocketed into my top 5.
Jul 28, 2016 3:16 PM

Aug 2015
With that huge reveal at the end it really changes your entire mindset of a lot things that happened as well the things that happened in the past that led to it. I went into this with people saying it was very thought provoking and it was pretty mild about it until part 3 where shit goes down.
9/10. What an enjoyable ride this has been.
Jul 30, 2016 6:24 AM
Dec 2007
I had my suspicions about the Queerats from the time they were introduced and saw a youtube comment vaguely reaffirming that suspicion, so I was pretty much expecting the big reveal unfortunately. Kind of bummed, still probably an 8/10 for me though.

I liked the world building a lot. Honestly one of the most interesting parts of the show was that at least 3 of the main characters were bi-sexual and that no one was fazed in the slightest by it. To me, that idea more than anything else really made the show feel like it was taking place in a different time.
Guy32Jul 30, 2016 6:33 AM
Jul 31, 2016 2:10 AM

May 2016
Kiroumarou died a noble death. I can't help but pity Yakomaru Squealer's fate because the queerats were clearly being oppressed at the time. Queerats being humans mixed with mole rats was quite a revelation. Good thing Saki and Satoru had a "happy ending" taming those tainted cats.

9/10 Me gusta

Aug 3, 2016 9:14 AM

Apr 2009
Ah Kiroumaru sacrificed himself for them after all, sorry for suspecting you Kiroumaru but you deserve it anyway and thanks by the way. In killing Kiroumaru, they've tricked her in activating the death feedback mechanism upon herself, thinking she killed one of her own as she identifies herself with the queerats. Ah well, goodbye and good-riddance, Maria and Mamoru's offspring.

So the quuerats are humans without PK after all, I find that it's not that surprising anymore given their highly advanced form of intelligence. I think the queerats with their human DNAs will evolve their PK potential in the future too, if there's some of them left. As the series close with the hope that the world must change for the better from the Cantus-empowered humans to the queerats with their human DNAs or we're all gonna be stuck killing ourselves (psykers and queerats) all over again.

Am I mistaken or was that Dvorak's "From the New World" played in the ED coz my hairs raised a bit with goosebumps and all? 9/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 16, 2016 9:38 AM

Jul 2009
Holy hell, what an amazing ride! I was skeptical at first since the show was so vague in the beginning, but the impressive second half forced me into a non-stop marathon. R.I.P Kiroumaru, that was an epic heroic sacrifice. Even after everything the fiend did, I do feel sorry for her since she grew up being taught that way by Squealer. Plus, I was never really fond of the humans here anyways (lol).

Squealer was definitely meant to be the most-hated character, but I couldn't help but feel impressed by his ability to stand his ground during trial. The "we are humans!" claim tingled my spine, but it would've been better if this was revealed earlier for the sake of more plot points. Seeing him reduced to a lump of meat was hilarious yet sad at the same time.

The finale itself was great, especially the usage of Dvorak's "From a New World". It'll be interesting to see how Saki and Satoru will lead society in the future. And of course, really happy to see them get married! By far one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen, which is a big break from all the rushed finales I've been seeing lately.

I'll have to give this a strong 9/10. It could have been perfect if there was stronger character development. Following Saki and Satoru from their childhood was nice, but the other cast members could have definitely used the same treatment. There's also the small problem of abysmal animation in episodes 5 and 10.

One of the best storyline in anime and among my all-time favorites. Highly recommended for anyone looking to immerse themselves in an exciting tale!
Aug 22, 2016 10:35 PM

Mar 2015
Serves ya right Squealer!!!

Good! Queerats were based from human.

The last minute shed me manly tears TT o TT

3.7/5

Overall: 5/10
Aug 24, 2016 11:06 PM
Jul 2018
That was quite a journey. A coming of age story in a dystopian world, with some interesting social and political ideas. They also handled creepy factor pretty well, with foreshadowing being the strongest aspect of the show. That being said, some minor issues here and there like DF mechanism and art being sloppy at times, but overall a solid anime of 9/10, one of the best I have seen in recent times. I just frigging loved the soundtrack.
Sep 6, 2016 7:31 AM
Mar 2015
My face watching ssy
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2016 11:34 PM

Mar 2015
Well it was actually enjoyable and some parts were boring. But wow I'm amazed.

At least we didn't pull that "she's just a child" bullshit.

I love how it ends though. Though the story itself is rather suspenseful and generic, but the animation is very good.

9/10

I can't believe there's a lot of people favoriting Yakomaru in the MAL page. You people disgusts me.

Sep 14, 2016 2:26 PM

Jan 2008
Personally, I didn't find this as outstanding as others.

So, most of all, I found the story felt disjointed and jumbled up at times. I do understand the underlying themes, and I do appreciate that the show was thought provoking regarding morals, ethics, the society system, etc. I also got that there was a red thread - it seemed kinda thin to me at times though.

Many times, I felt the show missed opportunities where it had built up momentum and then continued in an anticlimatic way. At some points, they just had to infodump their way around. It didn't help either that the animation was super inconsistent, going from solid to beautiful and then all the way down to cringeworthy. There were episodes that felt like nobody cared about the animation and they just wanted to be done with it.

I also think some aspects could have used some more detailing; Mamoru's and Maria's fate/how did Squealer actually get his hands on the child; the death feedback wasn't properly explored in my opinion, considering it played such a huge role in the end. Speaking of which, the "we are humans" revelation didn't seem all that shocking to me. On the one hand, because one could see it. On the other hand, because I don't think it made that much difference. The queerats were obviously thinking, feeling, building a society on rules and all in all intelligent, (at least roughly) on par with humans - they simply didn't have cantus. Killing them without second thought to the extent the cantus users did was cruel at all times! So, I guess I did expect some more twists.

The show did quite a nice job of portraying greys instead of black and whites. But I really had to fight my way through the first 7 eps. It got pretty good afterwards, but I still felt that the parts somehow didn't connect that well with each other in terms of story telling and pacing. The part with getting the Psychobuster...it also felt out of context somehow. Maybe not exactly plotwise, but at least atmosphere-wise.

I'll give this an 8.5/10, maybe rather leaning towards an 8 though.

Oct 2, 2016 12:14 AM
Sep 2015
One thing I love is how Saki lies to herself. She once said that Squealor is just "using" the monster rats, as a way to paint Squealor in villainous light.

The reason why Squealor rebelled is so obvious but the humans in their pride simply refused to believe they are wrong. Not until they realize the rats were once human did they realize they screw up. Why did it take Saki that long?

Generally good people can be willingly ignorant to their own evils.

DarklordVor said:

I can't believe there's a lot of people favoriting Yakomaru in the MAL page. You people disgusts me.

The ends justify the means. The population of monster rats is far great than the population of humans he wants to kill. Yet each of the monster rats are equal to any human in moral consideration. The humans did not give the rats much of a choice.

Now on a more personal level, screw Yakomaru for killing Maria.

Balong said:
Wait, there is one thing I don't get in the end...

When they discover Quierats are in fact humans, they all look horrified and in this instant, they realise they acted like monsters? I mean, before this new, we saw Quierats have intelligence, feelings, their own culture. But they're been slaughtered in mass (in a graphical death, by the way) and Squealer, leader of their rebellion has been judged by this shitty false "divine trial" and been punished by one of the worst death ever....

......And the protagonists have bad feelings for them only because they discover they're humans?!!!!

What kind of message is that shit?!!!! Because they're humans we have more empathy for them?!!

Please, give me a good explanation because It's just as horrible than this masquerade of Squealer Trial!!

Exactly. A cop out ending. And because speciesism.

Massive Edit: It's shocking that people are throwing out the 'grey morality' card here. The ethics is not grey regardless of how uncomfortable it is. There is a right and wrong and it is made very clear who is in the right and who is wrong. Is it too hard to make a judgment when there are humans?

A few space sharks are super strong so they subjugate a huge population of space dolphins. They poise as mighty, just and benevolent gods. They give out orders to the enslaved dolphins and when dolphins displease them, they just commit a holocaust or two. The dolphins then find a renegade shark and haven been given an opportunity to free themselves from the oppression so they take it and do whatever it takes. A few dead sharks, don't really mean much compared to the many many oppressed exploited and suffering dolphins slaves.

Seriously just replace space sharks with psychic humans and space dolphins with monster rats and you have Shinsekai Yori's "moral dilemma" of the second half. Sharks are wrong. Dolphins are right. I mean yeah it would be great if dolphins could magically change the sharks to be enlightened good people but what really happens is any sign or suspicion of dolphins being against the status quo is met with slaughter.

The conflict is not about this moral question because the answer is obvious. It is a story of injustice, and explores how individuals like Saki, Kiroumaru, Squealer, and the village elders live in and respond to the unjust world. The individual characters adds complexity. On the large scale the rat vs human conflict is quite simplistic.

This is also why it is somewhat disappointing that they never fully resolved the first conflict of children vs elders which is a lot more complicated of a moral issue.
ac_bdOct 10, 2016 12:18 AM
Oct 6, 2016 5:57 AM

May 2014
I think this anime might be slightly overrated as although the 2nd half of the anime was pretty intense, the 1st half was quite hard to watch. That said, I feel that the anime presented several themes that are worth mentioning and thinking about.

1) No one is really right when it comes to war and revenge, and no one really wins.

2) People always want to feel/be superior, and that's where the trouble starts.

3) Instead of rewriting history and hiding the truth, it might be wiser to be honest and allow everyone to learn from past mistakes.

Oct 12, 2016 7:20 PM
Apr 2016
ok i fainlly decided to watched thus show. I watched this in 2 days and i most say at the beginning for me it was hard to follow, but as the story progress with the characters it gets better. love the finale totally worth the marathon. 9/10

Saki x Maria i'm gonna missed this girls
Oct 18, 2016 12:58 AM

Sep 2010
Still one of my all-time favorite anime series.
Oct 18, 2016 1:00 AM

Jan 2015
Toxic_Mongoose said:
Still one of my all-time favorite anime series.
Oh yea. I just watched it recently and it got a spot on my favorites. I kept putting it off cause I normally like simple anime, plus I didn't like the tags psychological and horror, but my god was it incredible.
Oct 20, 2016 4:25 PM
Oct 2013
I gave it a 7 out of 10. My personal enjoyment it didn't really exist. Besides from that the plot was unfortunately really obvious... and that last plot twist in the end with them rats being genmodified humans I mean come on... that was just unneeded feels bad that I have to rate this really popular anime below an 8 but it just wasn't enough for me.
Pages (27) « First ... « 21 22 [23] 24 25 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.