Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2016 10:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Shit got real? Shit got real.

This episode went full violence.
Oh, I feel bad for Avilio here, first time I've seen him show that much emotions in front of Nero. I kinda like that montage they did at the end chronicling Avilio and Nero's adventure. Looks like Nero pulled the trigger ;o
Sep 30, 2016 11:28 AM

Jan 2013
more like it has been delayed.
Sep 30, 2016 12:02 PM
Jul 2012
That was a fitting ending though it was a bit open ended. Though anyways it was funny how they went on an adventure together.
Sep 30, 2016 12:06 PM

Apr 2010
So...
Sep 30, 2016 12:07 PM

Apr 2008
Heartbreaking ending. This show has been amazing from the very beginning and it's heartwarming to see it end with them going on a trip together again. I was a bit annoyed at the "open ending" though as I wanted it to be clear as day rather.

Jun 2013
I didn't see a body or any blood.. so they either both lived or both died. interesting.
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
You have the nerve to end it like that...

There is definitely more to the footprints at the end but i really didn't want an ambigious ending to THIS series. A movie like American Psycho or the NGE movie really made this work, but here i really think that a completely conclusive ending would have been the better choice.

Angelo has no reason to live anymore, for that reason alone it's useless to make it open ended. He's dead when he's alive. Nero being alive surprised me. His smile really bugs me though.

7/10.

EDIT: I guess, you always get salty at an open ending right after. Now that you actually make the move to think about it, i guess the ending did its job.

8/10 (i was at this rating since episode 10)
SmudySep 30, 2016 2:06 PM
Sep 30, 2016 12:08 PM

Jan 2015
good finale to a good anime. Really liked the interactions this week and the ending is something you'd expect for this kind of series.

Probably top 3 anime this season along with Mob Psycho and Saiki.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Sep 30, 2016 12:09 PM

Sep 2011
I'm assuming he lived. Just like how he couldn't shoot him back when he was a child, he couldn't shoot him now despite what he's done for revenge. That's my take on the ending.

Prob one of the better shows this summer season. 8/10 overall, but the ending was so very open.

The waves can mean many things at the end. But I think it signifies washing away the existence that they were ever there (Footprints).
Sep 30, 2016 12:10 PM

Feb 2012
This ending would have been a lot more effective if the show had bothered to develop the characters or the world in a way that didn't adhere to every goddamn gangster revenge story cliche under the sun.

Personally, it doesn't matter if Avilio lived or died. It's not important to the story and it definitely wouldn't change my opinion of 91 Days overall.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Sep 30, 2016 12:15 PM

May 2015
I think they both died. Nero killed Avilio and the guy in the car recognised Nero, followed him and killed him.That's why the footsteps disappear....
Sep 30, 2016 12:18 PM

Mar 2015
Yeah.. they both died..at least i think
The anime was very good, i can't say the same for the ending
Sep 30, 2016 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
Nero killed Angelo at the end!
Sep 30, 2016 12:21 PM

Aug 2008
Hm, this ending has two routes
1.nero let avilio live and gave him a new chance to live by the way he said his last line
both died : nero shot avilio and was taken by the waves though i REALLY doubt and nero was killed by the guy
but neroin the car smilied, you do not smile like that after killing someone ...is more a creepy smirk than a genuine smile
gave it a 8
The spider is watching
Sep 30, 2016 12:22 PM

Sep 2015
That was a good last episode
7/10, it was interesting the whole time because I didn't have any expectations, I think it's something I could recommend
Sep 30, 2016 12:23 PM

Feb 2015
I thought both Nero and Angelo were going to die at the end. But it seems they chose to go with an open ending.

Their last road trip together was nice though but was kinda unexpected...
Sep 30, 2016 12:24 PM

Apr 2015
Aghh I hate open endings, specially for an anime with this kind of story.
Anyways, I don't think he killed him. History repeated itself like how he couldn't kill him that night.
But I think showing a bit of nero's future would have been nice..
Sep 30, 2016 12:26 PM

Dec 2014
Good finale, Lot of gunfights in this episode.

Was a bit sad to see Avlio show so much emotion when Nero held him up against the tree.
Nice little montage with Nero and Avlio's time together.

That was a fairly Open Ending, Can't really say if Nero really killed him, I'm gonna go with Not as for me the story works better that way.

Overall, Good show, It captured the mafia atmosphere really well. I suppose you could sort of sum this up as the story of two men who couldn't pull the trigger on each other. Nero on Avlio in the past(possibly now as well) and Avlio couldn't bring himself to kill Nero as well. The story was good and it was interesting to see how Avlio manipulated and worked his way up to pull of his revenge. I'm fairly neutral towards the characters, Can't say I liked anyone in particular. I guess this show was never really about getting you attached to it's characters after all.
Sort of a mildly nihilistic ending as well, Nero's monologue about how there's no reason needed for living, Just live and the whole waves at the end washing away everything could signify that there was really no meaning to anything that transpired.
7/10
Sep 30, 2016 12:30 PM

Jun 2015
Flawfinder said:
This ending would have been a lot more effective if the show had bothered to develop the characters or the world in a way that didn't adhere to every goddamn gangster revenge story cliche under the sun.

Personally, it doesn't matter if Avilio lived or died. It's not important to the story and it definitely wouldn't change my opinion of 91 Days overall.

I agree. I don't see much of a reason to read into it, though I like it anyway.

That said, I definitely liked the story. I thought it was gonna be predictable as hell but it kept me on the edge of my seat.
Sep 30, 2016 12:35 PM

Sep 2014
So they went with an open ending,so everyone can make their own assumptions.It was a very good show overall I'll give it a 8/10.
Sep 30, 2016 12:36 PM
Sep 2016
Damn I love that show !
Sep 30, 2016 12:38 PM

Apr 2013
God I hate open endings especially with this anime, I believe he let Avillio live going by his encouragement on living life without a reason and the smile at the end. Great show overall 9/10 for me.
Sep 30, 2016 12:43 PM
Jul 2016
Both of them died. At least I would find that fitting.
Nero corrected his "mistake" of not killing Avillio and Nero was a dead man anyway since the galassia were all over the town hunting him. The fading footsteps confirmed their existence fading from reality imo.
Sep 30, 2016 12:49 PM

Jul 2015
Although it didn't play out as I guessed, the ending is still not really special. Leaving it up to interpretation and pulling an open ending is kind of weird. Overall 7/10.
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Sep 30, 2016 12:52 PM

Sep 2008
No, no... Don't end it like that!?
Maybe special/OVA with alternative ending/close ending?

I can't deal with ending like this!
I have hope for everybody dies ending... ;/
I wanted to Avlio shoot to Nero!

Eh... ;(

Overall, I love this series!
Even if ending isn't like I wanted...
This series give me many feelings and was pretty cool to watch and wait for next episodes...
Kinda sad it already end... and how it ended.

I want more series which take place during the early 1900s *.*
Sep 30, 2016 12:59 PM
Apr 2016
"You do not need a reason to live. Just live."
Shot him ten seconds later.
Overall quality aside it was not that bad a depiction of mafia revenge.
That scum shot Avilio and was seen driving away by a recon man from Gallasia resulting in Nero ending in an ambush or being finally chased down. No loose ends kind of ending.
Re:formed
Sep 30, 2016 1:02 PM

Mar 2016
I like to think that Avilio turned into the canned food at the end in the passengers seat.
Sigh.
Sep 30, 2016 1:02 PM

Feb 2016
well i must say i was hoping for some hype ending for this anime (kind of Nero vs Avilio as shown in some images), but no, they just pulled a shitty one, wtf, liked the show so far, but i cant say the same for the ending 7/10
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Sep 30, 2016 1:07 PM

Jul 2013
I also don't think Nero actually shot Avillio. Someone commented on disqus "He (Nero) wouldn´t really give Avilio suggestions about how to live if he would plan to kill him" and I fully agree with that. But of course everyone can think of the ending what they like, I mean, Nero looked kinda determinded right before he fired, so it's really hard to tell what he decided to do in this moment (maybe a benefit of an open ending?).

For me, this anime is one of the best of the summer season.
9/10, I was looking forward to this show every week without getting bored.
Sep 30, 2016 1:12 PM
Jul 2013
Great ending. Very reminiscent of Hollywood gangster movies yet again.

Looks like a lot of people don't really like it being this open-ended (or rather open to interpretation) but i thought it was quite fitting.

Overall i really enjoyed this series. Was not as predictable as I thought it would be and there was not really anything wrong with it (apart from some art / animation fuckups maybe - but clearly they were behind schedule anyway).

Who knows - maybe we get season 2, Nero and Angelo vs The Galassians :P
Sep 30, 2016 1:14 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
MissPsychoholic said:
I also don't think Nero actually shot Avillio. Someone commented on disqus "He (Nero) wouldn´t really give Avilio suggestions about how to live if he would plan to kill him" and I fully agree with that. But of course everyone can think of the ending what they like, I mean, Nero looked kinda determinded right before he fired, so it's really hard to tell what he decided to do in this moment (maybe a benefit of an open ending?).

For me, this anime is one of the best of the summer season.
9/10, I was looking forward to this show every week without getting bored.
I agree 100% with you
Sep 30, 2016 1:15 PM

Jun 2016
They chose quite an unexpected route with this ending - I think I'm not wrong to assume that almost everyone of us was expecting Nero to go on a murderous rampage, and that his first encounter with Angelo would lead to either one or both of their deaths.

Instead, Nero mysteriously and somewhat impressively managed to keep his cool. After that, I even began to expect them to team up and go after the new Don Galassia - even that was thwarted. What we got was a very introspective ending. The ocean seemed like an echo of the ending of End of Evangelion.

I don't think Nero killed Angelo, btw - it didn't make sense at that point, when both of them were coming to terms with their actions and their reasons for living. The evidence points in that direction, too - the lack of any body on the shore, and Nero smiling at the can of pineapples. Maybe Nero realised, seeing Angelo's state, that revenge wouldn't get him any satisfaction.

Overall I'm giving this a 8/10.

P.S.: Maybe it's because I've just finished watching Shirobako, but I'm deeply suspicious that the plot and ending was significantly altered during production. As proof, I can only present as evidence some scenes from the OP that we never got to see (see spoiler at the end), the recap episode in the middle (I was expecting this to be a 13 episode series, because of the 7 days x 13 = 91 days theory), and the somewhat rushed ending.

Sep 30, 2016 1:15 PM

Jun 2014
This show was great, definitely one of the best ones from this summer, it's good to see there still are good original shows coming out from time to time nowadays.

Also, I guess the open ending either implies both of them survived or both died in the end. The final scene with the sand footprints probably implies they both lived though, there is no body and no blood.

Loved the themes this show had, it really was a tragedy and all of the deaths that happened felt meaningless. In the end, neither Nero nor Avilio could kill each other because they were friends and they didn't see the point of it. Looking forward to see what else studio Shuka comes up with. I also liked how they just decided to live on, even without a reason. The ending can be interpreted in a lot of ways though... I also got really emotional when Avilio was crying and they were screaming at each other.

9/10
alpha_shadowSep 30, 2016 1:49 PM
:3
Sep 30, 2016 1:16 PM

Apr 2015
Arachnophobic said:
They chose quite an unexpected route with this ending - I think I'm not wrong to assume that almost everyone of us was expecting Nero to go on a murderous rampage, and that his first encounter with Angelo would lead to either one or both of their deaths.

Instead, Nero mysteriously and somewhat impressively managed to keep his cool. After that, I even began to expect them to team up and go after the new Don Galassia - even that was thwarted. What we got was a very introspective ending. The ocean seemed like an echo of the ending of End of Evangelion.

I don't think Nero killed Angelo, btw - it didn't make sense at that point, when both of them were coming to terms with their actions and their reasons for living. The evidence points in that direction, too - the lack of any body on the shore, and Nero smiling at the can of pineapples. Maybe Nero realised, seeing Angelo's state, that revenge wouldn't get him any satisfaction.

P.S.: Maybe it's because I've just finished watching Shirobako, but I'm deeply suspicious that the plot and ending was significantly altered during production. As proof, I can only present as evidence some scenes from the OP that we never got to see (see spoiler at the end), the recap episode in the middle (I was expecting this to be a 13 episode series, because of the 7 days x 13 = 91 days theory), and the somewhat rushed ending.

Nothing from the op was actually in the series :/
Sep 30, 2016 1:17 PM

Jul 2013
Tekakurika said:
So...
Don't think he did, no
Sep 30, 2016 1:22 PM

Apr 2015
Is it too much to hope for a new correlation chart for ep12 from the official website? They update it every week to show who died..
Sep 30, 2016 1:23 PM

Mar 2013
Overall it was pretty average 5/10
Sep 30, 2016 1:26 PM
Jan 2014
TBH I think a more clarified ending would be way better for this show considering all the things they had both experienced leading up to the climax. Otherwise I really have no complaint about the show. Great animation consistency.

9-1/10
Sep 30, 2016 1:27 PM

Aug 2014
I was anxious the whole episode. Since the start I predicted that they would've both died, but during this episode I was just sitting here with my fingers crossed like ''please don't die after all, I know I started watching this for the angst-fest 'muahahaha all die so I can be a moody teen' but now I don't want you to die so don't.''

After last week I was all for Avilio dying, because I thought that would've been the kinder thing for him. But trough this episode I just kept thinking that I want him to live and be happy someday... Especially after that burst of emotion and the bits of life returning to him towards the end.

Before I kind of wanted Nero to die too, but after this episode hoped the two would've overcome everything between them (naive, I know) and escaped their pasts and kept on traveling together until both would've found closure and a new life somewhere else.

During this one episode I went from wanting the darkest ending to the happiest :''D

The open ending didn't really bother me, because now I can happily think that they both lived and all that jazz. Though them both dying is probably more likely.
For me the ending would've been better, if they had shown Avilio in the car with Nero (in place of the pineapples) and the mafia guy wouldn't have seen the car and they would've just kept on driving and I could've liven in my happy little fantasy about them both living on...

9/10 for me. Some episodes were almost bad, some made me love this anime. The start was a strong one, and the ending, but in the middle some things fell flat (at least for me), overall there were a lot of flaws but somehow I just found myself hooked. But as I rate based on enjoyment I don't have to make this complicated thinking about art, sound, story etc as individuals. For me based on the last episode and some of the others, I could've given this a 10, but some of the others were like a 7, so 9 will do.
DestyPuffariSep 30, 2016 1:32 PM

Sep 30, 2016 1:30 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Now that i'm attempting to watch more into the final minutes, i'm really baffled what happened at the end with the footprints. It's the second last scene.
Angelo was walking left from Nero and there was a good distance before Nero fired his shot. At the end, the footsteps on the right (in the vision of Angelo and Nero) went farther than Angelo's. It might be that Nero indeed killed Angelo, then went to him and shoved him to the ocean. I can't explain it any other way or it would sound unrealistic.
The thing with the Angelo's body falling into the sand and leaving a clear spot...i don't wanna say it, but seeing the animation/art problems throughout the show, it could be that they did not animate that part right.
Sep 30, 2016 1:30 PM
Feb 2014
Smudy said:

Angelo has no reason to live anymore, for that reason alone it's useless to make it open ended. He's dead when he's alive. Nero being alive surprised me. His smile really bugs me though.

7/10.

But that's why I like this final. It doesn't matter if he lives or not. He is dead inside. So is Nero. He could have killed Angelo on spot but that would live him with nothing. He can't even get his revenge Galassias coz they aren't really responsible for it.
Sep 30, 2016 1:32 PM

Jun 2014
Smudy said:
Now that i'm attempting to watch more into the final minutes, i'm really baffled what happened at the end with the footprints. It's the second last scene.
Angelo was walking left from Nero and there was a good distance before Nero fired his shot. At the end, the footsteps on the right (in the vision of Angelo and Nero) went farther than Angelo's. It might be that Nero indeed killed Angelo, then went to him and shoved him to the ocean. I can't explain it any other way or it would sound unrealistic.
The thing with the Angelo's body falling into the sand and leaving a clear spot...i don't wanna say it, but seeing the animation/art problems throughout the show, it could be that they did not animate that part right.

If he shot Avilio, there would've been blood though.
:3
Sep 30, 2016 1:32 PM
Sep 2016
I'm speechless. For the first time since seeing him as a child, Angelo cried. Genuinely. In the end, there wasn't any point to his revenge, because nothing was left.
In the end, Angelo, Nero, neither of them truly won. They've lost everything.
Sep 30, 2016 1:33 PM
Sep 2016
Tekakurika said:
So...

Appears to be so, unfortunately.
Sep 30, 2016 1:36 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
alpha_shadow said:
Smudy said:

If he shot Avilio, there would've been blood though.

True as well. I'm just really uncertain about this one scene in particular. The footprints just stopped there.
Sep 30, 2016 1:37 PM

Apr 2015
Lay1306 said:
Tekakurika said:
So...
Don't think he did, no
Bushishi said:
Tekakurika said:
So...

Appears to be so, unfortunately.

Aghhh this is so frustrating I swear. When you get attached to a show for 91 DAYS you'd want a clear satisfying closure..
Sep 2016
Arachnophobic said:

Yeah, I really liked how Nero and Angelo's final confrontation was so...quiet. No shooting at each other, constant screaming everywhere. There was an air of just dry bitterness between the two.

Jun 2014
This was definitely a great finale! In my Top 3 of the season!

I enjoyed the open ending, because it let's us the viewer decide what happened at the end. I really enjoyed the interaction between Angelo and Nero throughout the series!

9/10!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Sep 30, 2016 1:46 PM

Oct 2012
With both of them dead, I guess it was fitting end of this series. If they lived many things wouldn't make any sense - first and formost Avillio killed Corteo and wanted to atone for this death and die. Nero was just granting his last wish and making him happy for the last time and that's why he didn't kill him instantly, wishing more happier next life perhaps. He's then killed by the man who chased him in the car. The sea washing their steps is metaphor for their lives vanishing, and also to show how petty is human existence in comparison of ageless ocean.

The end isn't really ambigous and not seeing their bodies doesn't mean anything. It's more like their existence was nothing and in the end they vanished from this world with their family.

I had some problems with this anime (like MC relying too much on the luck - and it worked for him, or noble sacrifice Corteo did the last time - he basically threw his life away and he knew it... realistically he wouldn't have returned). Also, sometime Nero was way too trusting towards Avillio and wasn't paying any attention to his suspicious behavior even though he knew him only three months or so (and he even paid no heed to his trusted people whom he lived whole his life with who were telling him to be careful). But in the end it had its highs too, the atmosphere of Thirties or not-so-bad attempt on mafia story being two of them. Can say I enjoyed it in the end but still it's a bit forgettable series that brought nothing new to the table.

Can't really decide between 6 or 7 so I leave it like this.

6.5/10
Mich666Sep 30, 2016 2:01 PM
Sep 30, 2016 1:53 PM

Jun 2012
decent ending.

overall it didn't disappoint, but it didn't take full steps.
it could have a lot more depth, but at the same time it wasn't a completely wasted opportunity

6/10
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2016

183 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 14, 11:38 PM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

213 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 11, 12:53 AM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2016

119 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 8, 7:21 AM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2016

210 by damoInstinct »»
Feb 5, 7:53 PM

Poll: » 91 Days Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2016

174 by damoInstinct »»
Jan 27, 8:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.