Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 17, 2016 7:08 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh so this was titled more as a special edition "Battle in a Brand New World War' or something like that.

I like the quality of the world and being an OVA, glad to see that they kept a lot of the violence. The story itself felt a bit weird but since it's an OVA, it was kinda expected. When the main TV show airs, it will establish the main principles. Meanwhile, I like Shimazu's role in this OVA. A good amount of characters introduced but definitely a neat way to get viewers to familiar with the franchise. What a tease at the end!
Jun 19, 2016 4:12 AM

Aug 2014
That's so good and fun to watch!
I hope the TV series will be as great as this OVA!
Jun 23, 2016 8:28 PM

Dec 2015
Relatively faithful drawing style and chara-design (I found them slightly less identical to the manga than what was seen in the Drifters promo on the Hellsing DVD), typical deformed scenes from the mangaka still present. Now, if they could follow the books...
But that will be hard if they want to go beyond the 5 available tomes. (why didn't they simply

4/5 Good way to introduce the manga (and the animation series)
There will be a lot of blood and flesh to "blacken" for the TV screening.

@Stark700 "Spoiler"? We don't even see the faces of the End. (while the old promo told even their names)

Manga readers, was it decent as an adaptation? (I never read the manga because I was waiting it to end but I remember how I felt at the time I was following Hellsing scanlations and discovered the manga's style and story)
Jun 24, 2016 8:31 AM

Mar 2015
So it begins. Awesome as expected. I wish someone subs it.
Jun 25, 2016 12:35 PM

Dec 2015
@Doomdoctor I found the french fansub I watched a few days ago, and saw an english release somewhere before. (I don't know where)
Rei_IIIJul 2, 2016 12:06 AM
Jun 28, 2016 11:21 AM

Aug 2014
Rei366 said:
@Doomdoctor I found the french fansub I watched a few days ago, and the english one (who served as base for the french one) was available the day before.
French subs? Could you pm me the link please? :)
KashKetchumJun 28, 2016 11:34 AM
Jun 29, 2016 12:38 PM

Aug 2014
I finally got to watch this (thanks again! @Rei366)
Since this is just the edited version of the first two episodes, I'm not going to go too much into details ( I wanna do that for the main series once it's out)

This is pretty much what I expected : great action, terrible placed comedy.
I'm all for shits and giggles but goddamn don't do that right after a guy was brutally murdered by the town folks. There were many unfunny scenes but this one easily takes the cake.
No complaints for the action, I enjoyed every minute of it.

As for the characters, I'm liking Shimazu the most. I like how unconventional as a samurai he is, with : the use of firearms, willingly throwing his weapon just so he could put his opponent into submission etc.. The rest were ok.

Once again the comedy needs to serious work but overall expectations were met. This should hold me off for a while until the main series airs in fall.
7/10
Jun 29, 2016 12:49 PM

Dec 2015
@Kryptiq About the comedy misplacement, I suppose it comes from the manga. I didn't read Drifters (Tonkam never reaches the country -_-) but the Hellsing manga (and by extension the OAVs) had a good amount of it. I didn't found their timing bad (and enjoyed several) but I know a lot who read the scans at the time and disliked this element.

About the hero (whose name really existed too): wasn't firearms use already common in 16th century wars?
Jul 1, 2016 4:13 AM

Dec 2012
Interesting OVA, the action was perfect. I don't know what will happens in the anime, but for the moment I have a Fate/stay night feeling. A reunion of several legendary "hero" who will have to fight to win something important.
The only bad point is the random humor. Several jokes were funny but the most of them seemed just out of place. At first, I didn't like the characters design, it reminds me Hellsing that I didn't watch completely, but it does not seem so bad.
Jul 4, 2016 4:37 AM

Nov 2015
This was good actually, the violence is too much but it was good. The comedy felt misplaced tho. And Shimazu is an interesting character.

Jul 8, 2016 2:07 PM

Jan 2015
Love the amazing quality and it's just amazing that the creator of Hellsing (Ultimate) made another fantastic series.
Jul 9, 2016 10:51 AM

May 2009
Had the joy to discover the first episode of Drifters which I didn't know the story at all.
Well, I'm getting hyped for the next season to follow it!

Characters and story telling trapped me for 20 minutes of pure enjoyment. Loved the balance between serious scene and some comedic content.
Animation-wise, I guess someone else would be able to give a more accurate pov since I ve don't have a good have for that, but I think it was excellent.

I'll gladly go watching the 2nd one if I got the chance to (and if the condition for the conditions of the broadcast will be good).

Manga's content adapted :

Mod edit: Merged thread into this one
ArdanazOct 2, 2016 4:12 AM
Jul 16, 2016 2:55 AM
Jul 2016
Please when it is going to go online Oh god i can't wait can't wait evey day i watch the ova unbelievable anime the best i have ever seen since Nobunagun and sword art online it's i can't find a word It's the heart of the japans When can't wait
Jul 17, 2016 7:46 PM
May 2015
Saw first couple of mins. Raw... I've found ind subs, french subs, ind subs and even freakin rus voice over... But there's literally nothing in the good old eng department. Google with their damn Ca ;/
Aug 1, 2016 9:15 AM

Jul 2013
That was very entertaining. Was totally like Hellsing, over-the-top scenes, badass main characters killing fodders and comedy who is awkward, but funny (imo). Cannot wait for the actual series to air.
IllyricusApr 3, 2020 12:59 PM
Aug 9, 2016 11:59 PM

May 2015
Something to look forward this fall finally some bloody gore action and comedy and with that hellsing artstyle a solid on my top tens.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2016 7:16 PM

Jul 2011
Is that a stylized accent they have? The subs I had were terrible so I was trying to just listen, but those accents. xD

What a GAR series though, can't wait for the TV series. :DD
Those devilish grins and smug looks. >:D
Aug 10, 2016 10:45 PM

Oct 2011
I'm a reader of the manga and the adaptation was great. The art style kinda reminded me of Hellsing

Aug 10, 2016 11:31 PM

Feb 2014
Does anyone know what language the elves are speaking? It sounds like Italian but I couldn't be sure. It was interesting to see Japanese subtitles.
Aug 11, 2016 10:39 AM

Dec 2008
Like taking me back to the early days of anime brought to america. late 80s style , al laction, entertaining, some comedy, then BOOM! CLIFFHANGER!! WHAAAAAT?! ( NANDA?) lol. Aside from the inescapable elements from such franchises like Ninja Scroll crosed with Hellsing, the style and the thrill of what was happening, nay the whole experience was palpable. I say I am quite looking forward to this show, as it may very well be that one in 100 gem that is so rarely seen in anime, let alone most any type of media format these days. SOLID 8/10
Aug 11, 2016 10:41 AM
Jul 2015
uzee said:
I'm a reader of the manga and the adaptation was great. The art style kinda reminded me of Hellsing

Thats because the artstyle is Hellsing. Same maker. And thats the beauty of it.

Im only bummed out because ill be expecting 1 ova every other year? Apparently there is a tv version coming in the fall.
Aug 11, 2016 3:15 PM

Jan 2014
That was a fun watch. Looking forward to it airing soon
Aug 11, 2016 4:03 PM

May 2015
Holy crap. That was actually awesome, lol. It was bloody, it had great action, and I thought the comedy was an entertaining watch. Good stuff, lol.

This makes me kinda excited for the TV show. Looking forward to that.
ReverberateAug 11, 2016 4:45 PM

Aug 11, 2016 8:50 PM

May 2008
FetaBoBa said:
Saw first couple of mins. Raw... I've found ind subs, french subs, ind subs and even freakin rus voice over... But there's literally nothing in the good old eng department. Google with their damn Ca ;/
I released a watchable English version. =) Just search Nyaa for 'Koby Drifters OVA'.
Aug 11, 2016 10:25 PM

Feb 2013
Wow I am psyched for the series in the fall after watching this! So freaking good!
Aug 12, 2016 12:27 AM

Mar 2010
Dang that was awesome, I really hope this won't get really dark..
Aug 13, 2016 9:55 PM

Jan 2011
Simply awesome. Very Hellsing in it's style and appeal. That goes for the comedy bits as well and as a result they were expected rather than bothersome.

That said I would of prefered this continuation to follow the aforementioned Hellsing Ultimate production with an OVA series for the extended run times and production values. In any case, excited for the series.
Aug 16, 2016 8:46 AM

May 2012
It was so good

I hope the TV series will be uncensored like this one
Aug 18, 2016 9:02 PM

Jan 2012
that was pretty awesome. This studio needs to adapt Berserk instead of that shitty cgi team
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Aug 21, 2016 5:58 AM

Jan 2016
Yooo That was a great OVA. This looks promising af hope the TV series doesn't disappoint.

The Hellsing Ultimate vibes are too strong. Don't know if that's a good thing or not.
Aug 23, 2016 12:19 PM

May 2011
It was entertaining to watch but nothing special tbh, I'm invested tho.
Aug 31, 2016 10:16 AM
Mar 2015
I heard that this ova will cover the 2 first episodes of the series.
Sep 2, 2016 3:44 PM

Feb 2015
Mr_Shnb said:
Yooo That was a great OVA. This looks promising af hope the TV series doesn't disappoint.

The Hellsing Ultimate vibes are too strong. Don't know if that's a good thing or not.

its to be expected with the same author and all, I really like the art style though I can tell this is going to be great.

GodKaneki said:
I heard that this ova will cover the 2 first episodes of the series.

i'm still a little unsure on that myself are you sure that's the case and the anime won't cover this part as well; or is it a case that its just going to continue from this.

anyway love this so far, i'm a fan of the manga too and so far its lived up to my expectations, so hyped for the series now.
Sep 3, 2016 7:23 AM

Sep 2010
This series is going to be so good if it continues like this. I read the manga so the story won't be the problem and if the production quality keeps up this level then we will have new top tier anime. What's more just like previous work of this author (hellsing) this anime can also be easily introduced to "Normal people".

At the same time though the fact that this OVA is so good and yet there is not much talk about it shows how unpopular OVA format is in comparison with anime. It seems like unless it's seasonal anime, people simply don't know about it's existence.

Well I guess their wait will be rewarded, at least they will just have to wait a week between episode 2 and three rather than going through this torture.

Then again I believe that this 40 min ova, is a better way to start the series than just single episode. After all it gives the adaptation of the whole first volume, giving the full scope of what the series will be about.
Sep 4, 2016 1:39 AM
Jan 2015
AnchientProphet2 said:
Like taking me back to the early days of anime brought to america. late 80s style , al laction, entertaining, some comedy, then BOOM! CLIFFHANGER!! WHAAAAAT?! ( NANDA?) lol. Aside from the inescapable elements from such franchises like Ninja Scroll crosed with Hellsing, the style and the thrill of what was happening, nay the whole experience was palpable. I say I am quite looking forward to this show, as it may very well be that one in 100 gem that is so rarely seen in anime, let alone most any type of media format these days. SOLID 8/10

I totally agree!! Been waiting for Eng subs for this and yesterday found them by accident. It surpassed my expectations .. Wow, I'm so HYPE! Oct. 7th now feels like an Eternity away... Def gonna be in my Top 3 this fall.
Sep 4, 2016 2:44 AM

Dec 2008
RYUK_007 said:
AnchientProphet2 said:

I totally agree!! Been waiting for Eng subs for this and yesterday found them by accident. It surpassed my expectations .. Wow, I'm so HYPE! Oct. 7th now feels like an Eternity away... Def gonna be in my Top 3 this fall.

Wow the 7th of october?! That is farrrrr. lol
Sep 19, 2016 10:40 PM

Nov 2010
Huh, this was very interesting. now i have enough hype for the Anime.
Sep 27, 2016 5:24 AM
Oct 2010
Pretty faithful, good animation to. I love the over the top nature of this, it really appeals to me.
Sep 28, 2016 6:02 PM

Feb 2016
GD1551 said:
Pretty faithful, good animation to. I love the over the top nature of this, it really appeals to me.

Is the manga good? I also like how over the top it is, even with jokes inbetween blood spread.
I think i might like the premise of this more than Hellsings, but doubt they can beat Alucard in overall coolness.
I wonder what the other ´heroes´will be...

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Sep 28, 2016 9:12 PM
Oct 2010
Dishonest said:
GD1551 said:

Is the manga good? I also like how over the top it is, even with jokes inbetween blood spread.
I think i might like the premise of this more than Hellsings, but doubt they can beat Alucard in overall coolness.
I wonder what the other ´heroes´will be...

I can't comment on the manga too much because I've only read a couple chapters (anime got announced a few days after I picked it up lmao). The other characters are pretty cool to, it's a sort of Fate x Hellsing vibe going on. First two episodes are about 7 chapters of the manga. Very action packed, very hellsing like. The MC is also really cool to.
Oct 1, 2016 8:28 AM
May 2016
i had alot of fun with this

if the series is gonna be this fun its already a 10 in my book
Oct 3, 2016 10:48 AM
Jul 2016
Luzius said:
Dang that was awesome, I really hope this won't get really dark..

Naw from the creator of Hellsing so Dark was the inevitable element.
Oct 5, 2016 6:37 AM

Nov 2013
Holy crao that was one of violence show. But eh.. the comedy was really awful. It made FMA's jokes blush.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 7, 2016 2:15 AM

Dec 2014
hellsing alucard hellsing Seras....this is all i heard in my head while watching this. Enjoyed to the fullest!

Oct 7, 2016 10:52 AM
Jan 2016
I totally loved it, the brutality, the art and that bad humor. My stomach still hurts from all the laughing, I am looking forwards to the rest of it :D
Oct 7, 2016 12:25 PM

Apr 2013
It was a perfect anime adaptation of the Manga series. There's nothing else to say other than this studio came out of nowhere.

Oct 7, 2016 1:40 PM

Jun 2015
After waiting so long since the PV in Hellsing Ultimate it's finally here

Honestly, the only thing I don't like is the comedy. I usually love comedy but in this show it seems way too forced and unfunny...
Oct 10, 2016 10:00 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
It´s a Ova to enjoy and enjoy it!!!!

Nice plot, with action, blood and a little of Japanese History, and atractive characters...the worst, is a ova without final, and for to now the final we have to watch the series of read the manga.

8/10.
Oct 11, 2016 1:50 AM

Dec 2015
It had such an uncanny resemblance to Hellsing that I had to do a little research to find they are by the same author. Literally saw Alucard everywhere in this OVA.
~
Dec 2, 2016 12:11 AM

Oct 2015
If i had known better i would have started with this OVA than with the main series. Because i already knew everything that was in this OVA, anyway i loved Drifters and i cant get enough of it.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.