Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 »
Jul 13, 2015 12:07 PM

Dec 2010
A lot better than the OVA in my opinion. Still a bit chaotic but there's 12 episodes now.
Jul 14, 2015 9:39 AM

Dec 2008
It wouldve been more interesting if the wife had lied and wasn't in fact cheating. After ED scene confirms she went to hell though. Oh well.
Jul 20, 2015 6:05 AM
Jan 2010
I can't believe how many people did not realize what's going on even after ending scene lol...
Guess that what makes first episode so good
Jul 24, 2015 11:19 AM

Oct 2009
But I thought she was just lying about the cheating :/!!

Though does void mean hell?

Another fantastic episode after the OVA. Admittedly not as good but this was just the introduction episode.

Love the OP, ED is pretty nice too.
Jul 26, 2015 12:59 PM

May 2015
Found both of them equally guilty.
Aug 6, 2015 4:03 AM

Aug 2009
I laughed. I'm not sure if my reaction was appropriate.
The series looks intriguing.
Aug 8, 2015 3:15 PM

Feb 2012
Absolutely crazy, loved it.
Aug 13, 2015 2:35 AM

Jan 2013
For the sake of sanity, I'm going to assume the heaven/hell concept is a trick (or funimation mistake) and this treads more along the lines of Buddhism.
Aug 31, 2015 7:03 AM
Oct 2013
That first episode doeeeee
that was awesome especially the end
Aug 31, 2015 7:03 AM
Oct 2013
Gunism said:
Found both of them equally guilty.

seems like we are watching the same animes haha
Aug 31, 2015 7:24 AM

Aug 2015
Very interesting, got me hooked on the 1st episode and who else felt it when flying darts hit right at your eye, heart and stomach organs.
Sep 14, 2015 1:27 PM

Jul 2014
near the end of this episode when i saw them in the elevator i was like "This bitch ain't really goin to heaven is she? Looks like it." Then I saw the demon mask above the woman's elevator. *burst into uncontrollable fits of laughter*
Sep 22, 2015 6:49 PM

Feb 2014
Ehh not too into it. I realize that family drama is everywhere but...if your lives are on the line, do you really have to argue so much?????

Interesting to see the guy go to heaven and the girl go to hell. She deserved it after yelling at him like that though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2015 9:41 AM

Sep 2013
This reminds me a lot of Jigoku shoujo where everyone is just fucked up.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 9, 2015 1:15 PM

Sep 2015
Just.. great, wow!
Oct 12, 2015 1:26 PM

Nov 2013
ginko29 said:
Sadly, this didn't grab me as much as the OAV (which I absolutely loved). The revelations about the 2 characters of this episode just felt kinda random...
I'm rather disappointed for now, let's see how it goes in the next episodes.

This. I like the setting and the game was interesting. But the dialogue ruined it. You're the father. You're not the father. Your evil twin is the father. It was like watching a bad daily soap.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Nov 3, 2015 6:49 AM

Oct 2010
I was not expecting that OP, but im so glad they did it like that.

The story was pretty good, I hope they can keep it up.
huh?
Nov 8, 2015 7:52 AM

Jan 2012
Man this is crazy but in a good way and like others said op is strange for anime like this

Nov 14, 2015 5:37 PM

Sep 2015
Such an awesome episode!!! So dark, with such plot twists, loved it!
Nov 29, 2015 7:57 PM

Feb 2010
Whoa this came outta nowhere, seems great so far :O

Dec 5, 2015 8:44 AM

May 2015
This was so messed up. AND I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT!
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Dec 11, 2015 9:10 AM

Jan 2011
first episode was great
so it death game actually to know who evil and good interesting
Dec 16, 2015 2:22 PM

Aug 2014
Well , This is one of those anime that you get into them just when it starts , similar to Death Note , you get into it from the very first episode or maybe from the first 5 minutes .

Well i would say this series has some creativity and the whole art of the place (Quindecim) seems very good , the dark psychological atmosphere and how they combine it with the OST and the emotions of the characters is fantastic.

I think I'm really liking this anime , a very good start .
Dec 17, 2015 10:51 AM

Jun 2008
So two questions I have after watching this:
1) Did she actually cheat?
2) Did she go to hell?

Man, if she is going to hell, it shows how much of a great liar she is...
HEY!
Dec 24, 2015 11:29 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Really suspenseful anime. That's one intense dart game. I have a feeling the woman said that at the end to lose on purpose, though she shouldn't know the real rules of the game yet.

5/5
Dec 29, 2015 10:52 PM

May 2015
OP seemed really unfitting to the show. It was like a polar opposite since it was so light hearted while the show was very intense. I'm interested to see if they can keep this idea fresh for 12 episodes.
Jan 1, 2016 6:46 PM
Mar 2013
Aina-Chan said:
So two questions I have after watching this:
1) Did she actually cheat?
2) Did she go to hell?

Man, if she is going to hell, it shows how much of a great liar she is...

Yeap, she lied about her friend being a women, but they don't call the bad place they go "hell", they call it "the Void". So, I guess is based on Christianity but with diferencies and it have a tendency for Catholicism because of the place sounds like a purgatory, and have a little mixed up with Hinduism because of the reincarnation.
Jan 25, 2016 3:14 PM

Feb 2014
One of the quickest and attention grabbing opening episodes I've seen so far, really well done.
"So wave goodbye to the hope we were born with, and say farewell to the chance of surviving this holocaust of love, this age of lost souls, but I'm holding on with both hands and I'm never letting go."
Feb 14, 2016 12:45 PM
Jul 2014
It's exactly the same as previous episode - Death Billiards! I like the concept. But still, their fates are already predetermined by what they've done while alive. I wonder if it's possible to outwit Decim.
Hm, it is, I just watched the start of ep 1 again and when this couple entered, she was going to heaven and he to hell-probably for committing the traffic accident and killing all three of them! You can see that by the masks on the top of the doors.
Feb 28, 2016 1:36 PM
Feb 2016
I thought the girl saw how devastated the guy was and decided to lie.
Ok then i read the summary of the first episode and it said that the cheating thing was all a facade.The girl didnt cheat she wanted to ease the guys pain by lying to him

I dont know if you guys already know this since months have passed

Ok the question is Did deckam know i cant understand did he see through the girls act and decided to take her to hell according to her wishes and by wishes i mean that she clearly loved her husband and lied to protect him
or was deckam fooled and thought the girl actually cheated on him
Feb 28, 2016 1:59 PM
Feb 2016
Ta dah thats why there werent any answers in the comments
everyone came shortly after watching the first episode including me
answers in 2nd episode people thank god
Mar 10, 2016 6:04 AM
Dec 2011
this is epic beginning of a masterpiece anime i love everything about it ... that woman how could she??? i felt so sorry for takashi :3
Mar 31, 2016 6:36 PM
Feb 2016
Biggest complaint: They removed any vagueness to the final verdict and made the argument completely one sided, giving the "loser" nothing to redeem them. Though, maybe they're just trying to ease people into the concept with a black and white decision, and will later diverge into a more gray area. I did watch Death Billiards first, so maybe I was expecting more based on that.
Apr 18, 2016 7:13 PM

Sep 2009
Monad said:
So winning the game really has no significance. It just a character measuring tactic or more like an evaluation of truth etc.

Arcanix said:
So, did you even see the episode? How can you be doubtful if she was cheating?

Because it was presented in a way that her confession in the end was ambiguous.

I agree!! Also, during the ending song a flashback to the wedding was shown, and one of those scenes include an invitation to Machida Yuuki, the person the wife mentioned, supporting her story to be true. I think she lied at the end to relieve her husband of the guilt of killing their child, as the man who flew into a crazed rage was simply no longer the same man she married.

Decim freed her soul from the cycle of life, and doomed the man's to spend another life here.
May 22, 2016 2:49 AM

Jul 2014
Didn't expect this anime to be how it is (esp. after I saw the OP song lol)... but I like it!! xD
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jul 13, 2016 10:54 PM

May 2013
Wait, so her winning the game didn't even matter since she had dark karma during her life thus got sent to the void? Hm :/
Jul 16, 2016 10:59 PM

Feb 2016
Ivy said:
Didn't expect this anime to be how it is (esp. after I saw the OP song lol)... but I like it!! xD

Completely agree...

I want to know how's it work... let's keep watching
Jul 16, 2016 11:22 PM

May 2015
Death Parade is actually an amazing anime, and the first episode is mindblowing.

Oh, and that OP. It's got to be the best OP ever. I never skipped one in the entire series, and I always do.
Jul 18, 2016 3:12 AM

Feb 2016
Lec-kun said:
Death Parade is actually an amazing anime, and the first episode is mindblowing.

Oh, and that OP. It's got to be the best OP ever. I never skipped one in the entire series, and I always do.

Me neither ... I always watch the entire episode (including OP an ED) .... Always
Jul 20, 2016 12:25 PM
Jul 2016
In the first episode, the woman isn't actually guilty.. The arbiter however, perhaps doesn't pick up on this subtlety and seemingly makes the wrong judgement (depending on your interpretation of which is preferable), so this could be seen to demonstrate the fallibility of the system given their incapacity to experience and tap in to the full range of human emotions along with their subjective, uninvolved viewpoint. If you watch closely, she pauses, takes a breath, her expression changes and she plays along with him, she sees that he is absolutely torn apart and at this stage, after killing their child, he almost wants it to be true - she realises therefore that if she doesn't give credibility to his belief, he won't be able to live with himself for how he has treated her in light of her assumed misdemeanour. So in a purely selfless act, out of love and sympathy for her husband (even though he's been a massive dick - she is quite obviously much smarter than him.. girl power), she puts herself on the line. I though this was beautiful and well executed. Did anyone else see this?
LisanimeJul 20, 2016 12:36 PM
Aug 5, 2016 2:29 AM

Jan 2015
So good but so sad.
Sep 16, 2016 12:20 PM

Mar 2012
Dang, this episode made me feel all sorts of things.
Sep 23, 2016 1:41 PM
Sep 2016
Lisanime said:
In the first episode, the woman isn't actually guilty.. The arbiter however, perhaps doesn't pick up on this subtlety and seemingly makes the wrong judgement (depending on your interpretation of which is preferable), so this could be seen to demonstrate the fallibility of the system given their incapacity to experience and tap in to the full range of human emotions along with their subjective, uninvolved viewpoint. If you watch closely, she pauses, takes a breath, her expression changes and she plays along with him, she sees that he is absolutely torn apart and at this stage, after killing their child, he almost wants it to be true - she realises therefore that if she doesn't give credibility to his belief, he won't be able to live with himself for how he has treated her in light of her assumed misdemeanour. So in a purely selfless act, out of love and sympathy for her husband (even though he's been a massive dick - she is quite obviously much smarter than him.. girl power), she puts herself on the line. I though this was beautiful and well executed. Did anyone else see this?

Oh my god you are like the first person to pick up on that, I had to go through hundreds of comments of stupid people thinking she was actually guitly. She saw how miserable the thought of killing his own child made him feel, and she thought she'd make him feel better by pretending to have cheated on him. Also it is revealed later in the anime that this specific arbitor has trouble picking up on human emotions, which makes it even more obvious.
Sep 24, 2016 10:24 AM
Jan 2012
BonzoPlant said:

Oh my god you are like the first person to pick up on that, I had to go through hundreds of comments of stupid people thinking she was actually guitly. She saw how miserable the thought of killing his own child made him feel, and she thought she'd make him feel better by pretending to have cheated on him. Also it is revealed later in the anime that this specific arbitor has trouble picking up on human emotions, which makes it even more obvious.

There was no pretending though. There is plenty of evidence that she cheated. And there is also evidence that she has been cheating for some time. There is also vague evidence that this not her first time dating someone for money and she is well known in her circle for doing so.

The question is not so much if she was cheating or not, that's a fact, she cheated. The question is what she is "guilty" of in the confines of this decision of the game. The guy was paranoid, that's for sure, but he was right. She was cheating and has been. We do know that she did fall in love with her husband, that she was pregnant, and that she felt guilty when she cheated after they where married. I bet from that point on she would never cheat on him again and they would live happily. But once again, that doesn't change the fact that she cheated.

She was smarter than him, and manipulated him. And at the end she did so for his sake and not her own. This is what the arbitor did not pick up on. We saw the flash backs of how happy she was right before the wedding, we then saw how unhappy and disgusted she was when she cheated after the wedding. Her "soul" changed at that point, laying in that bed. So she went in all the way for the sake of her husbands in a way to save herself by sacrificing herself.

What the arbitor didn't pick up on was that and the assistant did pick up on, was the wife changed after the wedding, she did love him and was happy, she learned her lesson and was willing to accepted her punishment while trying to protect her husband.

One can argue that since she changed, and learned, that she deserves to be reincarnated. While he learned nothing and changed nothing. To me this is like saying, well the murder felt bad and regrets what he has done so he should be freed, well that doesn't change the fact that the victim is still the victim.

I still think she was "guilty", the out come was correct and they both got what they deserved.
Sep 28, 2016 6:38 PM

Mar 2016
If she won the game, why did she go to the void? Is the game really just to bring their true colors out or what?
Oct 18, 2016 3:59 PM
Apr 2014
What's really jarring about this episode is that, whether she cheated or not, the guy should have gotten punished as well. He is the one responsible for their deaths, he tried to save himself over his wife, he tried to hurt the child, he tried to hit her when he learned the truth. Cheated on or not, this guy was a jerkass, definitely more than his wife. I was looking forward to this series but I guess this is it for me.

EDIT: Well I watched the second episode and I take it partially back. My point still stands, in that anyone could tell this guy was a bastard even at face value, but the second episode at least made it less jarring.
thelumpurOct 18, 2016 4:29 PM
Nov 18, 2016 2:43 PM

Jun 2016
not sure where this story goes..
need to watch more.
Nov 20, 2016 3:39 PM

Jun 2013
I really liked this premiere episode. I don't mind that it was similar to Death Billiards, I actually enjoy this formula. However, Death Billiards managed to tear me up a little bit (at the "hug scene"), while I didn't get an emotional catharsis from this one. This episode did have a more depressing ending, so I think it kind of balances out.

You all are bringing up some really interesting points. I didn't even consider that Machiko's confession was an act, but I suppose it's possible. She wasn't smirking after the husband attacked him with the darts, although that doesn't really support this idea. The invitation is a better clue, for sure.

I also thought reincarnation was the reward and that the void was the punishment, though now I see that it would depend on the person, which one would be the reward for them.

Same here, I don't understand why Decim didn't refuse to disclose the couples respective destinations this time. But it's possible it's really just up to him, and there really isn't any rule forcing him to keep it secret, and in Death Billiards he just didn't feel like sharing.
LeeTailorNov 20, 2016 3:43 PM
Nov 21, 2016 9:35 AM

Sep 2016
RIP that couple lol wasn't as sad as people are saying
Dec 13, 2016 2:23 PM

Feb 2013
I'm not sure if she was telling the truth there, I think she said all that stuff about having an affair and that the child wasn't his because she loved him and wanted to let him go to heaven.
Pages (17) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 17 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2015

521 by Seraschi »»
Apr 1, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

596 by oDaw1 »»
Mar 25, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2015

674 by Listone »»
Mar 24, 6:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.