Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sweetness and Lightning
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 19, 2016 9:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh God, Tsugumi made a scene at that restaurant. Kinda felt bad for the dad there.

Pretty funny episode. I love how the other supporting characters showed up again. The cooking segment was pretty much the usual stuff, didn't surprise me there. Man, I'm going to his series...the weekly cooking antics and characters are so fun to watch.

Tsugumi may be childish but still very amusing. I got hungry from this episode as well:

Nice to see Iida's mom showing up too. 8/10.
Sep 19, 2016 9:32 AM

Nov 2007
Already passed one year since the series begins, which mother passed away.

Tired after visiting tomb. lol @ Royal "Hast". Another first time for the girl, okonomiyaki. She cried from not being able to make it herself as the teacher described and causing trouble. Hayami-san's character suggested to do it again.

Thinking that Hayami-san's character's mother has time this time, she's away again. Fortunately the friends also joined up, though. Teacher requested that dance and they laughed at so. Cooking in two groups. Discussion about parents' feelings. She caused trouble again and mad at being scolded. They made up.

When they are done (at least first one), Hayami-san's character's mother tried her best to catch up and is back. lol @ her explanation about why the okonomiyaki's more delicious (very straightforward truth): made with full of love.

That was a nice end to the series, wishing for more, though.

Only on Yomiuri TV, but there will be special show with ED performers Brian the Sun on September 26.
https://twitter.com/Brian_the_Sun/status/777752519275450368
tsubasaloverSep 20, 2016 9:05 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 19, 2016 10:25 AM

Apr 2010
I liked this anime, this and New Game made me look forward to monday every week i will miss it.
It was nice to see what they would make next and the characters where fun to watch.
Sep 19, 2016 11:03 AM

Mar 2016
definitely going to miss this

Tsumugi always made me smile, such a feel good anime

8/10
Sep 19, 2016 11:12 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
8/10.

It was at 9/10 for a while, but it got a bit too stale with the second half cooking every single episode.

But all in all, an amazing feel good anime. I love Inuzuka-sensei, such a good dad.

Finally, Kotori's mom appeared and i ship her already with Inuzuka ;)
Sep 19, 2016 11:13 AM

Sep 2015
I'll give too many 10/10 this season
I ended up with a big smile on my face, that's why I love this show so much, every episode made me smile like this, I'm going to miss Summer 2016 Mondays

(that twerk tho)
Sep 19, 2016 11:17 AM
Jul 2018
Nice to see Kotori's mom finally showing up too!
Sep 19, 2016 11:18 AM

Jan 2015
That's right, dad. Tsumugi loves eating, but she loves the process of making and cooking the food more.
And Tsumugi getting scold by Yagi for the first time, and that sexy uniform Kotori's mom wearing... No comment, I guess. LOL
MasceraSep 19, 2016 11:38 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Sep 19, 2016 11:26 AM

Jan 2012
So we got okonomiyaki, Kotori's mom finally meeting Inuzuka-sensei and Tsumugi, and the meaning of scolding in our finale. Another very good episode, though it didn't have a true sense of finality to it. Pretty much just felt like another episode, par for the course. It's just that par for this series happens to be excellent. XD Yes, like New Game! I was a manga reader for this series well before the adaptation was made, and this was also wonderful. Literally every episode of this produced a big, goofy grin on my face. Even as my eyes were tearing up during the sadder scenes. The emotional impact was powerful. The stories were simple, but beautifully played out, the cooking nearly always fun to watch, and primary cast absolutely lovable. In Tsumugi especially we have probably the most lovable and realistic child character in anime since Naru from, imo, 2014's best anime Barakamon. In the end that fantastic series' prequel, also airing this season, failed to assert itself as a rightful successor to its greatness. Amaama to Inazuma, however, succeeded...at least as a colleague on the same level of greatness. Honestly there's really not much to dislike about this series. It will be a strong contender for #1 on my Top 10 Anime of 2016 list, and was the best anime of the Summer Season, no doubt. And who knows? Hopefully that lack of finality will mean season 2 one day! Plenty more manga chapters I'd love to see animated. XD 9/10
Sep 19, 2016 11:27 AM

May 2012
Last episode was pretty fluffy and nice and had made me have a grin on my face.

Kotori's mom is so cute lol

I loved the way it ended.

Sep 19, 2016 11:29 AM

Dec 2014
amazing show till the very end.... I hope they make a second season as well
Sep 19, 2016 11:41 AM

Mar 2013
I can't rather I don't want to believe it's over I'm in such denial right now. this anime was my favorite this season (ok one of my favorites). I have to say tsumugi making a scene was the first time I actually thought to myself "tsumugi can be a spoiled brat sometimes". I swear every time I see tsumugi and shinobu together I immediately think there sister's and when I see yagi I think it's tsumugi's uncle (I think it has something to do with the fact that they all have blonde hair). I adored tsumugi's clump clump dance it's was both adorable and funny at the same time.

I still wonder if will ever get to see kotori's mom cook or if kotori will ever get over her fear of knives. although I must say that small moment between sensei and kotori it really made them look like a married couple. god why does the food in this anime always look soo good? I hope another season happens soon.
Sep 19, 2016 11:41 AM

Dec 2014
Heartwarming finale, Great way to send off the show for the season.

I assume the opening segment was Kouehi and Tsumugi visiting the grave of his wife? They were dressed in black as well.

Tsumugi made quite the scene at the restaurant, Quite bratty of her and Kouehi's little reproach to her actions caused some issue between them.

Pretty classic cooking that followed and a very interesting conversation between Kouhei and Kotori, I think I agree with him. Kids don't really need to worry about how much they're parents love them and just grow up free.

Very sweet reconciliation between Kouehi and Tsumugi, Put a huge smile on my face.
Kotori's mom and Kouhei had quite the first meeting. xD
Fanboy Yagi XD

Heartwarming ending with Tsumugi saying she wanted more of her Dad's affection. :D

Overall, Definitely one of the best shows this season. Great and entertaining character cast, The simple and often formulaic episodes of the show worked really well in it's favor. Character interactions were lovable, sweet and really heartwarming, The emotional moments of the show definitely hit hard and I teared up multiple times but most of all, every episode succeeded in leaving a huge grin on my face with a really good feeling. Will hope for an S2 someday
9/10
Sep 19, 2016 11:46 AM

May 2015
That was a good finale with everyone, and Kotori's mom this time as well.

This was a really heartwarming show. I'd definitely watch a second season. 8/10.

Sep 19, 2016 11:47 AM

Jul 2014
I ended up with a smile on my face :)
SkyLETVSep 19, 2016 6:45 PM
Sep 19, 2016 11:50 AM

Jun 2016
Kotori's mom is so damn fine. You noticing, sensei?

This was a beautiful show, it will be sorely missed. Moar Tsumugi, please. :(

I'm giving it a 8/10, purely because of the fixed episode formula. (And lack of poop jokes toward the end)
Sep 19, 2016 11:51 AM

Jul 2014
Good to finally see Kotori's mother meet the rest of the cast, even if I thought her face looked really odd. That aside, this was definitely a formulaic episode, but as always it was very enjoyable nevertheless.

8/10
Sep 19, 2016 11:51 AM

May 2008
This show was the reason I looked forward to Mondays (MP 100 helps too.) Sweetness & Lightning, you will be missed!

What better way to end the series than to have the whole cast eating the okonomiyaki they made together. To me, that's really the best way to end a show like this one. I'm not sure if there will be a second season, so I better start reading the manga, I guess!

A well earned 8/10 for me. It was a nice fluffy show to start my week. I hope there will be something similar this fall.
Sep 19, 2016 12:07 PM

Aug 2013
i really liked this episode!
such an adorable series! i love it so much, and i'm really sad to see that it's over now. 8/10
Sep 19, 2016 12:19 PM

May 2015
It was ok sereis, with lots of fun. Feels kind of boried in the last episodes. I mean, I get the main plot of story "cooking and stuff", but it should be at least some variation in episodes.

Still 6/10.

Kotori's mom is perfect MILF. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 19, 2016 12:35 PM

Feb 2015
This anime was cute, relaxing and yummylicious. I'm sad that it has to end. I'll miss it for sure... (─‿‿─)
Sep 19, 2016 12:37 PM

Nov 2011
No Sensei x Kotori romance, boo! I'm not satisfied! Gimme season 2 with some romance!

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Sep 19, 2016 12:41 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Idc if it was pretty repetitive, it was a great watch.
I'm gonna miss this. It was one of the best this season with Mob Psycho and 91 Days !

9/10
DatRandomDudeSep 19, 2016 12:44 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 19, 2016 12:47 PM

Sep 2013
A decent series, but a bit too repetitive. Wasn't the biggest fan of te cooking bits. But i liked the characters though, they were quite enjoyable to watch. Will watch season 2 if it gets one.
Sep 19, 2016 12:56 PM

Jun 2015
I would definitely be all over a second season, especially since we finally got to see Kotori's mom, and I heard of a couple things in the manga that didn't make it here or were even rearranged, but... at the same time this show was simply satisfying to the point where I greatly enjoyed it, but don't have this hole in my heart that can only be filled by a second season.

It's like a good meal... perhaps it's poetic.
Sep 19, 2016 1:52 PM

Jun 2013
After the way they started the episode, I thought they were going to make us cry with stuff about Mrs Inuzuka and whatnot. But they went in a different direction and didn't take that thing any further. Unless Tsumugi being a bit cranky was related to that, but I'm not sure about that.

Inuzuka has to keep Tsumugi in check that she doesn't do anything bad and if she makes mistakes or does something not good, she should be told that she didn't do something good. That was a nice talk between father and daughter after Tsumugi pissed off Yagi. And good thing that Kotori's mom came. This is her third sighting. Lol when she was wearing a school uniform under her coat.

This was a nice show. I liked how Tsumugi acted like a kid her age. Even though I didn't exactly find her cute or anything, they did a good job on Tsumugi. Me finding her dancing and whatever not cute or funny is actually a good thing lol. Inuzuka was a good father trying his best to make Tsumugi happy while also making sure not to spoil her too much. Overall a very good show.
Sep 19, 2016 1:56 PM

Mar 2016
FallenEntity said:
although I must say that small moment between sensei and kotori it really made them look like a married couple.

THIS. I know I shouldn't ship it but I do xD
Sep 19, 2016 1:57 PM

Oct 2014
This was a really lovely anime solid 5/10
Sep 19, 2016 2:07 PM
Mar 2016
Sjit, this anime ends without a Sensei x Kotori romance in sight.
Sep 19, 2016 2:42 PM

Nov 2011
Give it 3 years and Kotori and Sensei will be married. They basically have been the entire series and all 3 of them singing the "Mixing" song.

Come on now!!!

Really wish they would have talked about why Kotori is deathly afraid of Knives, but oh well.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 19, 2016 2:54 PM
Mar 2016
I'm going to miss this series .. My healing after watch Re:Zero every week (ofc with New Game)
Sep 19, 2016 3:00 PM

Dec 2014
This was such a good anime. I watched it for the moe, and sure it had the moe cranked to an 11 but everything else in this was just as good. They actually made Tsumugi a child and not just some perfect person, she'd cry, get mad and then make up. The characters in this were just so great. Every single one of them were interesting and entertaining to watch. I especially liked Yagi, he is just such a bro to Kouhei. I think this is the best SoL of 2016 so far. It's close between this and Tanaka-kun but I think this just edges out by a little bit. I'm going to miss this weekly injection of cuteness overload. Season 2 when?

9/10
Sep 19, 2016 3:41 PM
Aug 2013
Nice seeing Kotori's mom showing up at last.

Overall this was an enjoyable series, with delicious food to look forward to every week. Definitely got rather tiring after a while though because of the formulaic structure.
Sep 19, 2016 3:51 PM

Jun 2009
Kotori, Inuzuka and Tsumugi singing together was so cute. Also, I'm glad that Kotori's mom was finally able to join them. And everyone's okonomiyaki looked so delicious!
This was such a cute and heartwarming show. 8/10
Sep 19, 2016 4:30 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Kotori's mom appears, finally. I thought that brief introduction between Megumi and Inazuka showed a possible romance.
Still, InaKo is the ship to go, them two looked quite like a couple ever since those two began spending time together.

The scolding talk was rather nice to see. It's always good to see those type of moments, father trying to become a better parent and accepting his mistakes.

The okonomiyaki looked real delicious. Tsumugi's serious expression as she was working that top part of the dressing, cute.

Even cuter was the Tsumugi dance. Step aside Kim Kardashian, we have a new girl who does your job better, it's Tsumugi. I like how she gave Yagi an encore dance lol. Speaking of Yagi, I thought he cut himself since he dropped the bowl.

Overall it was solid SOL show. Sure it was textbook half 1 build up and half 2 cooking, but in the end the show did nicely. Food wise it sure made me hungry each week. Watching this at night right before bedtime not a good idea but worth watching the group cook.

Sep 19, 2016 4:45 PM

Dec 2012
Great finale episode. Poor Tsumugi not being able to make her own okinomiyaki in the restaurant & making a little scene.

No one likes being scolded, but someone needs to tell you when your in the wrong so you are able to learn from your mistakes & apologize when it is necessary. So good on Tsumugi.
Adorable Clump clump Dance.

So delighted & happy to finally see Megumi make it in time for the delicious okinomiyaki & finally meet everyone. Always nice to see Yagi & Shinobu as well.
Just wonderful to see everyone eat & have a great time with each other.

Overall a fun, adorable & enjoyable series. One of my favorites this season. Such a feel good show which I have loved & all the delicious food they have made. Would have been nice to see them outside of the restaurant more, but still enjoyable for what we got.

Round of applause to Rina Endou who voiced Tsumugi. Such a wonderful talent & would love to hear more child voice actors in the future. Also Yuuichi Nakamura & Saori Hayama have done an amazing job as Kouhei & Kotori.

Gonna miss this show & would love a Season 02 or even a couple of OVA's.
Overall score 9/10.
Santoryu_XBurnerSep 19, 2016 4:49 PM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Sep 19, 2016 4:57 PM
Mar 2016
You know when a show makes you smile and gives you these nice fuzzy feelings that are pure and innocent and makes you love cute things. Yep, this is this show in a nutshell
Sep 19, 2016 5:28 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Damn, Tsumugi is kind of a little bitch. Honestly, she kind of put a damper on this series for me.

But overall I really enjoyed this show. Lots of important lessons about family and friends and coming together. So many feel good feelings all the way through.

I was thinking they'd show a scene or two of them at the mother's grave, but that's probably too dark or somber for this series. That is a plot-line I would like to see develop in the future though.

I like that Kotori really is a multi layered character, and they piled on more this episode revealing the difficulties in her relationship with her mother. Speaking of her mother, she FINALLY met sensei. I was kind of hoping they would hit it off, but that's not really what this series is about.

In the end, I think this was a pretty darn good show with lots of laughs and warm fuzzy feelings. Characters were likable and the story itself was something that felt refreshing after watching so many dramatic and plot heavy shows. This kept it relatively straight to the point. I'd like to see more in the future! 8/10
Sep 19, 2016 5:49 PM

Dec 2013
Kinda disappointed that they never actually introduced Yuuka and Chiyo properly, as they definitely had enough episodes to cover it all. This does give me a little hope for a second season further down the line though, because we definitely have enough content for one, and the way they adapted it would make for good character progression as well.

Overall it was a great introduction to Ida Megumi, one I was looking forward to. I loved how childish that Tsumugi was this episode to be honest. The fact that she wanted to intrude on Yagi all the more because he said she was a nuisance was funny, even though it ended up getting her scolded.

Kouhei is definitely goals. I may never be a father, especially not to a daughter as cute as Tsumugi, but if I ever have kids that's the type of father that I would aspire to become. Respects his daughter to sit her down to talk with her like with respect, and very eloquent with his words as well. Never raised his voice unless absolutely necessary, and his daughter knew and understood that as well.

Missing this show already.. so I'm gonna go back to rewatch from the beginning soon.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 19, 2016 5:54 PM

May 2009
What a great anime. Easygoing, cute, but serious throughout.
Lighthearted anime that made this season sweeter.

7 or 8 out of 10 for me.
Sep 19, 2016 6:11 PM

May 2011
There probably goes the best of Summer. Great and heartwarming Anime from start to finish. Huge re-watch potential but it will definitely be missed.
Sep 19, 2016 6:44 PM

Dec 2015
Yagi lol Oh your mom's not here? Then bye, with a large box of alcohol.
Sep 19, 2016 6:58 PM

Sep 2015
I was hoping for Kotori to handle a knife, but I have no complaints. This series so deserves a 10/10.
Sep 19, 2016 7:10 PM

Dec 2014
I definitely agree with a lot of people on this series. The repetitive nature of it does ruin it a bit (kind of weird coming from the guy who loves Natsume Yuujinchou, but whatever), but the rest of the series made up for it. The characters were great, the family aspect surprisingly realistic, and the comedy surprisingly good. That being said, I wouldn't really want a season 2. Maybe an OVA detailing certain backstories or whatnot, but not a full set of 12 episodes. The ending provided here was a good enough closure as is anyway.

8/10
Sep 19, 2016 7:33 PM

Apr 2016
This is a case where my heart and my head are sending conflicting messages. On one hand, I thought this was a well-written and all around well-executed show that did just about all it set out to do. But honestly, it just didn't resonate with me beyond a shallow level barring a few moments. The cooking segments became stale as well. I'd say it was a good, well-meaning show that just wasn't for me. 5/10
Sep 19, 2016 7:44 PM

Apr 2014
took the whole season but finally her mom showed up and was super cute <3

but man ima miss this series and i would love a season 2 but idk if it'll ever happen reminds me of how i really wanted a season 2 of Koufuku Graffiti but it never happened and now that series is ending and i feel like it'll be the same with this series sadly

anyway loved this series was cute and fun and ima miss it
"one step at a time"
Sep 19, 2016 8:16 PM

Apr 2016
Very nice anime to watch.
Very relaxing and soothing.
I am kinda curious if there are more "significant" events in the manga so I might read the manga for this.
Enjoyable 12 episodes.
I will miss this type of anime and will find one for next season (I hope I can find one that suits my taste)
Sep 19, 2016 8:26 PM

Jun 2012
Man Kotori and Sensei need to fuck already.
Sep 19, 2016 9:54 PM

Sep 2011
I'm a biased piece of shit so I'll give this a subjective 10/10

Well that's it.
It's over.
Now get back in your cages. :(

Edit:
By the way, if you like this series (and also reading the manga)
You can check this one out.
It has the same vibe:
Uchi no Musume no Tame naraba, Ore wa Moshikashitara Maou mo Taoseru kamo Shirenai.
The_Mad_WizardSep 19, 2016 9:57 PM
Sep 19, 2016 10:04 PM

Feb 2014
Tsumugi sure was acting like a brat during this episode. Kotori's mom and sensei seem like they would hit it off quite well. I hope THEY end up together, and Kotori and Tsumugi become sisters.

Overall, it wasn't as good as Usagi Drop, but quite a fun and at times heartwarming slice of life show nonetheless. I would have liked it more if it wasn't so repetitive with its "monster of the week"-esque formula.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2016

311 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 20, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2016

90 by Raizel »»
Mar 5, 11:59 AM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2016

117 by Raizel »»
Feb 23, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2016

151 by Raizel »»
Feb 15, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2016

64 by Amber_4shenfell »»
Jul 2, 2023 3:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.