Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (35) « First ... « 29 30 [31] 32 33 » ... Last »
Oct 28, 2015 9:55 PM
Oct 2015
Its was a great anime
i hope that they will make the movie version
Dec 1, 2015 6:49 AM

Sep 2015
Just finished my re-watch for the second time.

Yet I cried like the first time. lol.
Dec 2, 2015 3:11 AM

Jan 2012
Dammit stop saying arigato,ok we get it , this anime is overrated imo.

Dec 9, 2015 2:22 AM

Jul 2014
AllenVonStein said:
Dammit stop saying arigato,ok we get it

My thoughts exactly.

Anyway I just finished it after 1 year...gap? Can't say I completely understand the ending (because maybe I missed a lot of things and just lazy to re-watched it) but it was easily memorable ending.

I feel pretty bad for Otonashi. He got his life tough. Being dead in an accident before he accomplished his dreams, left behind by a girl he loved the most....

CMIIW, in another epilogue it shows him stay in the student council to do help a lost soul and waiting for "someone". I don't know if it just another alternative ending, or straight continuation from this original anime.

Nice art, beautiful music and ost, pretty rushed story and lot of wasted potential, but overall I enjoyed it, so I'll give it 8/10
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Dec 10, 2015 12:15 AM

Nov 2015
The first half of the episode was great and humorous. But the second half was a bit weak. I feel Angel Beats great because of all kinds of nice humorous moments it has.The ending is nice but could have much better.

I just got irrigated when Otonashi said Kanade that both of them would stay there forever. Thank God they disappeared like others.This makes the ending nice.

Seeing the epilogue seems like Kanade n Otonashi are reborn.Perhaps all others have reborn.Its good.

Although I feel Angel beats could have been much better,its a good show which makes u laugh and cry at the same time.
Overall I give this show 8/10
Dec 10, 2015 6:59 AM

Oct 2015
Atlast Angle Beats! ends here.
Nice episode. 👍 I like how the show ends. The story was simple but enjoyable. Kanade looks so cute. It was so emotional when she was about to leave. My tears came out at the time she disapear disapeared. I m not so sure if Yuzuru stayed in there or not. I wish Hidegi meets Yui after leaving the afterworld . The ending was nice.
Dec 10, 2015 11:31 PM
Jun 2014
sharingankid93 said:
Wow..anime such nice much cry very sad.. T_T

But what if the clip in the end where otonashi chases kanade is the epilogue of how they met in the real world...and possibly a couple. And then they both eventually dieded after otonashi death his heart went to kanade who is needing a heart transplant..and kanade still dies later on. They meet in limbo and then voila..angel beats.. hahaha im not making any sense anymore im still teary eyed while typing this.. fcuk

Having a prologue as an epilogue without any context is bad storytelling. This is about reincarnation.
Dec 22, 2015 4:01 AM
Nov 2010
I forced my gf watch it to see if she'd cry but I ended up crying again.
Dec 22, 2015 11:42 PM
Dec 2015
Raigeki1993 said:
So... WTF happened with Takamatsu? When he got turned into an NPC, did he also turn into a shadow and eternally die?

Yuri explained at the end that he was able to move on with the others.
Jan 1, 2016 8:26 PM

Jul 2015
There is one problem with the ending.
How does Kanade arrive earlier than Yuzuru?
Kanade has Yuzuru's heart so that should mean that she died later than him and yet she was there when Yuzuru got there.
Jan 4, 2016 10:22 AM
Dec 2014
ChibiKev said:
Kanade has Yuzuru's heart so that should mean that she died later than him and yet she was there when Yuzuru got there.

Could be all his organs had to die before Yuzuru could pass on to the afterlife, and someone with, say, his kidney lived five years or whatever longer than Kanade
Jan 5, 2016 10:58 AM

Dec 2015
This turned out to be one of my favorite anime. Many strong emotions from laughter to sadness was felt.

I would recommend this series to anyone.
Jan 5, 2016 1:19 PM

Jul 2015
I was really sad when i saw that this was the final episode because Angel Beats was such a enjoyable roller coaster of emotions but nothing hit me harder then the love confession scene before Tachibana disappeared which is something because i am not gonna sit here and say i don't cry during anime i will say it is harder for me then most. usually it has to hit really close to home for it to get to me and that is exactly what that scene did.

Other then that scene the episode was great and i felt it was a good way to end a series and while a lot of people seem t be upset with the end credit scene i really enjoyed it because it then gives Fanfic writers a lot of room to continue the beloved story. Overall gonna give this a 9/10 episode and a 10/10 anime.
Jan 7, 2016 2:14 PM
Dec 2015
Would it make sense if Kanade wasn't really dead, just in a dead like state from needing the heart transplant (seeing the afterlife in a coma-like state or something?) where her mind is not letting her return to reality until her goal is complete? Only until then can she wake up, so only Otonashi was the true dead one between the 2.

Not sure how to wrap my head around the time difference between each of them visiting this afterlife unless I am onto something and Kanade has been in a comatose state for x amount of time (while Otonashi was still alive) while the doctors look for a suitable heart to give her. In time she gets the heart and somehow her sub-conscience knows whats going on in her real life and that information translates to the Kanade we know in which shes wanting to thank the person who extended her life.

anyway, playing as my own devils advocate this doesn't make sense if reincarnation is real (we're led to believe this from the post credit scene) how would Kanade and Otonashi meet again at so similar ages? it looks like some time has passed because grownup Kanade goes to about Otonashi's nose or eyes from the looks of it, and not some little girl like when they were hugging before.

there was also a comment of someone saying that Otonashi has not died until all of his organs have died - which would take some years to do, so this story could be one that has taken place over many decades - assuming that each of his organs lasted for the rest of the other persons life. I know before he signed a specific name to be a donor to and i don't know if that means his other organs will stay in his body unless said person needed them.. if so then this theory doesn't work.

or it could just be as simple as two people have died and their souls? met in his afterlife - fell in love - and have been reincarnated into similar versions of their past lives and meet on the street, whether they remember everything or have to fall in love again is up to us to decide.
Jan 7, 2016 2:21 PM

Nov 2013
notice_me said:

If I recall correctly, both the manga and the Visual Novel confirm that the afterlife isn't bound to our space/time, meaning that there's no link between the time when you die and the time when you come to the afterlife. I'm not 100% sure on this, but Shiina comes from the 16th-17th century, for example.
Jan 8, 2016 2:08 PM
Dec 2015
Lollo36 said:
notice_me said:

If I recall correctly, both the manga and the Visual Novel confirm that the afterlife isn't bound to our space/time, meaning that there's no link between the time when you die and the time when you come to the afterlife. I'm not 100% sure on this, but Shiina comes from the 16th-17th century, for example.

Okay, I have not caught up on those yet. Thanks for the heads up though, I will be reading them for hopefully some better closure.
Feb 2, 2016 8:20 AM
Jan 2016
Okay i know I accidentally posted this in episode 12, but it was really suppose to be episode 13 that I wanted to post it on so sorry about that.

After spending all night watching all the episodes. I got to say this turned out pretty damn good. The first few episodes sounded lame, but after getting past all those it started getting more interesting and this is coming from someone that though the show was lame after watching three episodes and turning away from it. I decided to give it another shot and I was damn surprised how well it turned out after i got past the first few episodes. I also start to enjoy it more also.

The ending was nice although it would been nice to see if Otonashi and Kanade had a family of there own that would have made the ending i think better. Although it was still pretty touching and that again comes from someone that thought this show would be lame.

I guess you can't judge a show just by a few episodes. Also I learned assuming something only makes an ass out of that person. Not that i didn't already know that. This show was pretty darn interesting none the less. I encourage people to try and watch the whole thing before giving up on it.

Overall rating: 9/10 For lame beginning and a lame yet still good ending. It could have been better, but was still a good show. Also I give it this rating as it was a really surprising show that surprised me all the way to the end.
Feb 17, 2016 7:35 AM

Feb 2016
I enjoye the episode, shame though the whole series overall were so short :(
Feb 19, 2016 9:39 PM

Sep 2013
So Im guessing they got reincarnated and finally met again?

It literally took me over a year to finally finish this series. I was watching one episode every few months; it's just really boring. The plot is so ridiculous that I just can't seem take it seriously and get myself interested. The only thing the kept me from dropping this is that I was told it get's better in the ending. Well it did got better but it wasn't nearly enough to change my opinion of this anime. It really makes me question if Jun Maeda is really a good writer because his latest work Charlotte is even worst than this. I mean loved Clannad after story, it's far from perfect - the first half I can only describe as boring shit with over-the-top melodrama but the second half really got me and just completely changed my opinion of the anime, I don't know if it's because of Jun Maeda's talent in writing or because of the other people working around it. I dont know. Well I'm just glad I'm done with this anime.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Mar 30, 2016 5:27 AM

Mar 2016
idk what to think, so much was left unexplained

the last scene really pulled my heart strings but I have so many questions that needs answers
Apr 14, 2016 10:16 AM

Mar 2016
Not going to lie, I might have cried during the ending.
Apr 19, 2016 3:31 AM

Mar 2015
So they were all fighting Kanade long before Otonashi showed up but she died with his heart before he got there... What??
Apr 26, 2016 12:08 AM
Mar 2016
Yeah...I cried...a lot lol
Apr 27, 2016 10:29 PM

Nov 2013
...Is this what people hyped up so much? At least this awful show full of awful writing is done now.

2/10. The soundtrack earns it another point.
Apr 28, 2016 6:14 AM

Dec 2015
If you think this anime have massive plot hole, read this. here is theory why kanade arrived first. Before otonashi dead, he donored all his organs. Otonashi didnt have any regrets, so he was not going to afterlife after he died in that train accident. Thus, otonashi souls being reincarnated into someone. this someone (we can call it otonashi 2) was born right after otonashi dead and donored his heart (i think thats how reincarnation works). And the receiver of that heart was kanade. in afterlife before the ending, kanade said thank to otonashi bcs he made her youth longer. So i assume kanade was about 12 YO when she received otonashi's hearts. In this time, otonashi b's age was 0 yo. And then 4 years later, kanade was dead at age 16. in this time, otonashi b's age was 4 yo. And then kanade went to afterlife bcs she had regrets: couldnt thank the person who gift his heart to her. when she arrived in afterlife, otonashi was not in here yet. why? because otonashi soul was still inside otonashi b's body. Otonashi 2 still alive when kanade arrived in afterlife. Then, 10-15 years passed. Finally otonashi 2 is dead, and otonashi's soul finally able to go to afterlife to fulfill kanade wish. Fyi, kanade already in afterlife a decade or more before otonashi soul arrive. And this fact suits with my theory well. And yuri said in eps 12 that someone soul can come into afterlife to help another's regret, and soul like that usually getting amnesia when arrived. So otonashi soul go there bcs of kanade even he has no regret. (In otonashi's life at least, i dont know whether otonashi 2 has regret or no). After fulfill kanade's wish. I dont know whether it is fate or god's reward towards otonashi soul by helping kanade, they finally being reunited after reincarnated.

Geezz, i hope this anime is well written such a wasted potential. It didnt tell us about the other sss member past, the programmer, and another mystery in afterlife. Fck the director. They should make it 20 or more episode. I demand remastered version of this anime. Or ova to explain them all.

8/10 bcs of massive plothole and lack of explanation. Can be 9/10 or 10/10 if it is well executed. I like all of the music though
May 3, 2016 1:47 AM

Jun 2014
10/10.

I was confused with Kanade appearing there first too, but I highly doubt its a plothole. Personally, I feel Otonashi already passed on long ago and that left Tenshi in limbo due to her request being wanting to say thank you to him so Heaven pulled him down to free her from it. It was destiny of two that belong together.
May 10, 2016 6:46 PM
Feb 2016
Nobo said:
ChibiKev said:

Could be all his organs had to die before Yuzuru could pass on to the afterlife, and someone with, say, his kidney lived five years or whatever longer than Kanade
she's not dead she's just in a coma,I think the reason why kanade got there first was because she was already in a coma before otonashi died,then many kanade's condition worsens that's why she needed a heart transplant,but before otonashi died she was already in a coma and is already the student council prez. In the afterlife.
May 10, 2016 6:49 PM
Feb 2016
Correct me if I'm wrong,I'm not good at medical stuffs
May 12, 2016 7:56 AM

Jun 2012
really good show with a powerfull story and quality in serval gernes.

10/10 i had hard time scoring this show cause i heard so much about it and cause everyone was so hyped about it my expectation was a bit to high but after some good thinking and the overly hype that kinda killed some moments for me put aside i still think its worth a 10/10.
RobertovkMay 12, 2016 8:21 AM
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
May 16, 2016 4:01 AM
Mar 2016
Poopfactory said:
If you think this anime have massive plot hole, read this. here is theory why kanade arrived first. Before otonashi dead, he donored all his organs. Otonashi didnt have any regrets, so he was not going to afterlife after he died in that train accident. Thus, otonashi souls being reincarnated into someone. this someone (we can call it otonashi 2) was born right after otonashi dead and donored his heart (i think thats how reincarnation works). And the receiver of that heart was kanade. in afterlife before the ending, kanade said thank to otonashi bcs he made her youth longer. So i assume kanade was about 12 YO when she received otonashi's hearts. In this time, otonashi b's age was 0 yo. And then 4 years later, kanade was dead at age 16. in this time, otonashi b's age was 4 yo. And then kanade went to afterlife bcs she had regrets: couldnt thank the person who gift his heart to her. when she arrived in afterlife, otonashi was not in here yet. why? because otonashi soul was still inside otonashi b's body. Otonashi 2 still alive when kanade arrived in afterlife. Then, 10-15 years passed. Finally otonashi 2 is dead, and otonashi's soul finally able to go to afterlife to fulfill kanade wish. Fyi, kanade already in afterlife a decade or more before otonashi soul arrive. And this fact suits with my theory well. And yuri said in eps 12 that someone soul can come into afterlife to help another's regret, and soul like that usually getting amnesia when arrived. So otonashi soul go there bcs of kanade even he has no regret. (In otonashi's life at least, i dont know whether otonashi 2 has regret or no). After fulfill kanade's wish. I dont know whether it is fate or god's reward towards otonashi soul by helping kanade, they finally being reunited after reincarnated.

Geezz, i hope this anime is well written such a wasted potential. It didnt tell us about the other sss member past, the programmer, and another mystery in afterlife. Fck the director. They should make it 20 or more episode. I demand remastered version of this anime. Or ova to explain them all.

8/10 bcs of massive plothole and lack of explanation. Can be 9/10 or 10/10 if it is well executed. I like all of the music though

This makes a lot of sense.
May 31, 2016 2:46 AM
May 2016
This anime had been suggested to me by my friends and the all said they cried at the end and I have to be honest I did let go of a tear. I think the amine was amazing gave it a 5 out of 5! But now I have to watch a comedy to cheer me up. ☺
Jun 5, 2016 4:01 AM

Oct 2013
I remember the hype around this anime years ago. Constantly I would say "I'll watch it some other time." Just now I watched each episode one after another....I'm disappointed. I give it a 6/10. The ending scene with Kanade and Otonashi being the last two left had me feeling a bit emotional especially how Otonashi was acting. The anime overall though was lacking, it's like all the other cast got a sort of "Yeah, their past life stories don't matter, they're all gone now and....yeah..whatever."

I've finally checked this anime off the list. Time to check out some more stuff. XD
Jun 9, 2016 6:44 PM
Feb 2016
(THERE ARE NO PLOTHOLE)

Q1.)how is it possible that kanade was the first person to arrive in the afterlife if
She has yuzuru's heart?

A1.)the purgatory is connected to the past,present and future or in every seconds in the world,
My evidence is shiina,it is obvious that shiina is a ninja from the past era,it is more obvious if you will read the manga,in kther words their soul came from different times for example shiina came from 1200 years,yuri from 2006,otonashi from 2010,kanade from 2012.in kanade's present time(2012), otonashi is already dead,but in otonashi's present time (2010) he's still alive.same goes to shiina and yuri in their time.at kanade's time she was already in a coma and is already in the afterlife(she's not dead she's just in a coma),but in yuri and shiina's present time they are still alive,lets assume that there are night and days in the afterlife but the time in the afterlife is not actually moving, while in the afterlife kanade was already in the afterlife alone and is already the student council president of the npc's,2 months in yuri's time(2006) she died,when she came to the afterlife kanade was already in the afterlife,yuri's soul came from 2006 but kanade's soul came from 2012,it is impossible if the afterlife is only connected or madefor the present time, but its not it is connected to all the time in our world,that's what made kanade to be the first character in the afterlife,in shiina's time,2 months after 1200,she died and was sent to the afterlife,ex. Yuri was already there for 3 days before she met shiina but kanade was already there for 2 years or longer before yuri's first day in the afterlife(im only counting the days and night in the afterlife but time does not really exist in the afterlife in my theory but there are still days and nights).at that time in the afterlife,otonashi in the present is still alive,2 months after 2010 otonashi died and was sent in the afterlife right away even if he had no regret in his life,maybe because kanada and otonashi has the same feeling or because otonashi's heart was looking for him,but it was obvious that the reason why he's there is because hes the only one who can release kanade from the afterlife.
Jun 30, 2016 7:17 AM
Apr 2016
In some religion they believe in re carnation so at the end Naoi and Kanade wanting to be together bought them together after rebirth, of cause not knowing why just they were drawn to each other it showed us a glimpse of that the end if all that makes sense lol
Jul 1, 2016 10:01 PM
Jul 2016
[quote=Rhedak message=8802360]"So yes, he did die, no coma ending."
Maybe someone did a stomic (I am assuming stomic, that is what looked like) transplant, so Otonashi went out of the hospital to take a walk and heard the song. Kanade may have been in a coma yes but he was a hero so I think that someone would do a transplant to save him.
Jul 4, 2016 9:59 AM

May 2016
Bleh i hate my self when i watch drama animes but meh.. This one was worth it! Lets talk about the ending a bit.. I cried like a freaking 10 year old baby when it drops the ice-cream. I don't know i have no words, i'll make a review later i just want to leave this here..

Jul 19, 2016 8:27 AM

Jun 2016
Time for feel trip :3
Aug 13, 2016 7:54 AM

Aug 2016
Last episode in my opinion was probably the most interesting..I really liked at this show the fact that the main character (otanashi) showed love interest to a side (mostly) character (kanade)..in the start I thought it would be a otanashi-yuri affair..anyways..there are many things unexplained...and some weirded me out..also I disliked this "sudden romance" it seemed kinda rush and random..cause they weren't a lot of episodes to show the development of the feelings for example tomoya x nagisa..on conclusion I'll give it 7/10
Aug 19, 2016 10:29 AM
Jul 2016
Even if there were to be season 2, it will probably be a new batch of characters since they all disappear and reincarnated into the real world. There could also be another possibility of Season 2 story is that they continue the story from Angel Beats Another Epilogue, of how Yuzuru as the Student President Council helps others to find peace.
Aug 23, 2016 5:56 PM

Jun 2009
Thought it would've been better,considering it has a rating of 8.41 and almost 30k favorites.
Aug 28, 2016 12:20 PM
Dec 2015
This episode is too sentimental and seems to be unnecessary
Aug 31, 2016 11:56 AM

May 2016
Okay I really cried at the end too , lol
I know this is an anime from years ago but I just watched it and I loved it , because of the awesome enjoyment I even overlooked the probs.

But really tell, kanade died so she went after fulfilling her regret, what would it take for MC to leave , she could have simply not said it stayed with him,
All that aside they see each other again in the real world okay that was far fetched but totally awesome, I loved that , so maybe they were reincarnated . Then in the epilogue MC s the new prez and helps people, But that makes u wonder didnt he end up like the guy who made angel player , and it says that guy was waiting and MC is too or someone says the like in the epilogue, since he is waiting it is also a possibility that kanade isnt dead , maybe a comma or something , and maybe if the realm doesent have a time frame maybe the MC ends up as the guy who makes angel player and its kind of a paradox, just shooting here.
Aug 31, 2016 7:00 PM
Jul 2018
OH HELL YEAH

I gotta be honest here, I was kinda liking the show but it didnt really feel, like, very good. The comedy is hillarious, the base plot is interesting, but... I guess it kinda feels a bit, like, undeveloped or something. It's very interesting but at the same time a bit underwhelming.

BUT, you gotta love it when they close it in such an amazing way as they did. Add a little but significant plot twist here and there, some awesome animation and there you have it. Gotta admit, no matter if the show is outstanding or just nice, you gotta give it to them when they close it with a gold key, as they did.
I was screaming and rocking my chair back and forth the last 5 minutes, such was the awesomeness of that ending.

Loved Otonashi and Kanade, once again.
Hinata and Otonashi's hand shake mix as Hinata disappeared was fucking awesome.
AND Kanade had Otonashi's heart, that's why they fucking bonded so much. That was freaking awesome.

In the end, loved the show. Gotta get watching those specials now.
removed-userAug 31, 2016 7:03 PM
Sep 10, 2016 3:26 PM
Jul 2018
In my opinion, the last scene just means that Otanashi also left the school, and came back to the real world.
Sep 11, 2016 12:58 AM

May 2016
Lbi_ said:
In my opinion, the last scene just means that Otanashi also left the school, and came back to the real world.
hey that cud be possible , like whoever dissappears from that world comes back 2 the real world , but that wudnt explain the epilogue thgh
Sep 11, 2016 6:39 AM
Jul 2018
NJ_animeluvr said:
Lbi_ said:
hey that cud be possible , like whoever dissappears from that world comes back 2 the real world , but that wudnt explain the epilogue thgh

I read something that says the last scene is a dream of Otanashi, and he stays I the wordl, he is the programmer that became a NPC. And that the story is a cycle, they all will return in this world when Otanashi became a NPC and then once again he comes back, and this happend again and again and again to the infinity.

Ps : I dont know if it's clear for you, English isn't my main language *~*
Sep 11, 2016 12:19 PM

May 2016
Lbi_ said:
NJ_animeluvr said:

I read something that says the last scene is a dream of Otanashi, and he stays I the wordl, he is the programmer that became a NPC. And that the story is a cycle, they all will return in this world when Otanashi became a NPC and then once again he comes back, and this happend again and again and again to the infinity.

Ps : I dont know if it's clear for you, English isn't my main language *~*
NJ_animeluvr said:
Okay I really cried at the end too , lol
I know this is an anime from years ago but I just watched it and I loved it , because of the awesome enjoyment I even overlooked the probs.

But really tell, kanade died so she went after fulfilling her regret, what would it take for MC to leave , she could have simply not said it stayed with him,
All that aside they see each other again in the real world okay that was far fetched but totally awesome, I loved that , so maybe they were reincarnated . Then in the epilogue MC s the new prez and helps people, But that makes u wonder didnt he end up like the guy who made angel player , and it says that guy was waiting and MC is too or someone says the like in the epilogue, since he is waiting it is also a possibility that kanade isnt dead , maybe a comma or something , and maybe if the realm doesent have a time frame maybe the MC ends up as the guy who makes angel player and its kind of a paradox, just shooting here.

i kind of tht the same thing 2 , but it neednt be a dream we never know 4 sure , i wish they made a second season to explain all tis
Sep 25, 2016 9:10 AM

Jun 2013
Well... this was all a lot less impactful than it could have been.

The graduation ceremony was cute and all, the most adorable being Yuzuru, when his voice got all shaky during his big speech. But the whole thing never went beyond "cute" for me.

Yuri's departure was downright ridiculous, she gave Kanade a hug but not the boys, even though she spent a lot more time with them. And in the final scenes, Yuzuru and Kanade's love seemed forced to me. And don't even get me started on the stinger scene.
Oct 4, 2016 4:55 PM

Jan 2015
Personally got around to watching this. Clannad was like trauma to me and I try to avoid drama anime, but got around to this one finally. Loved this episode. This is going on my favorites and I THINK it will stay there. I enjoyed it enough to give it a 10/10, though if you were to ask me as a critique I would give something closer to a 8.5 maybe? If this was 24 episodes (may be to much but the standard) almost definitely would be one of the highest rated anime of all time. It's a shame that so many anime lose potential due to budgets( especially with episode count)
Dec 6, 2016 3:50 AM
Nov 2016
After watching the last episode, I was quite confused because I had so many questions. I think more episodes would have benefitted this anime a lot! I wanted to know the backstories of all of the characters and not just a few. Most of them just vanished without any explanation. But I did come up with my own theory that explains most of my questions. I'm pretty sure some people came up with the same or a similar theory already, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I believe that Afterlife is a place that isn't connected to time at all. However, an entity (whatever that may be) designed it for teenagers of the modern age because there was modern technology and all of them were familiar with it. We already know that the souls that come to Afterlife couldn't accept their fates and were brought there to live a normal life and find peace. But some of them need other people to find their peace, like Yui needed love and Kanade/Angel needed to thank her donor.
I don't think that the souls were brought to Afterlife in the order they died in real life. Because Afterlife isn't connected to time, Otonashi's soul was brought there after Kanade's soul, even though he died before her in real life, so her soul could find peace.
I also believe that when everyone vanished, they weren't necessarily reborn in a time period after they originally died, but could have been reborn at any point in the past, present or future. They won't remember anything and grow up in that time period, but their souls will remember, which is why they will connect to some people instantly. It also explains how Kanade and Otonashi could meet after being reborn, even though in my theory, Otonashi didn't vanish immediately after Kanade.
I believe he couldn't leave Afterlife knowing that souls like Yuri would appear there and might never find peace because they would fight it. So he took over Kanade's spot. After watching the alternate ending, I'm even more convinced that this was the case. Then one day a person that he can trust to take over his spot like he took over Kanade's helps him to finally leave and be reborn. Which is probably the guy he talks to in the alternate ending. That is why he finally vanished in the credits. He spent some time, maybe even a very long time, helping souls in Afterlife (since he was always trying to help people) before he followed the others. Afterwards, he was reborn during the same time period as Kanade. Because their souls remember but they don't, Kanade wrote a song that "just came to her head", not knowing it was written by Iwasawa in Afterlife. She is humming it and Otonashi's soul remembers the melody, which prompts him to talk to her. It is open what happens next, but I like to think that they finally got the chance to be happy together. And I also hope Yui's and Hinata's soul found each other.

I'm just wondering who the guy that turned himself into an NPC was. At first, I thought it was Otonashi, but he couldn't have turned into an NPC since we see him vanish and being reborn. He was also not a NPC when the guy explained everything to Yuri. So it can't be him. But who was it then? Was it just one random NPC guy and it doesn't matter? Or is there a prequel or something that explains it?

I still rated it 9/10. I would have rated it 10/10 if they explained more and gave us the backstories of everyone. But I really liked this anime, especially how it was sad and funny at the same time.
Pages (35) « First ... « 29 30 [31] 32 33 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

661 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 18, 2010

462 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 9:28 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 11, 2010

377 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

564 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
Yesterday, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - May 14, 2010

536 by Hue_Enjoyer »»
Apr 17, 9:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.