Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 6, 2016 8:45 AM

Apr 2015
Senpai here who watch the movie, Can you guys tell me if it happy or sad?? or between, like Kotonoha Niwa?

don't spoil me please..

if the ending is like 5 cm then i'm out, my kokoro can't handle it. Last time I watched 5 cm, I couldn't sleep for 3 days.

envy__ said:
HAPPY. it is open ended like his previous works but this one is different. this gives the characters a chance to start a new relationship, they still have the feeling of liking to know each other unlike his other works which of course are also open ended but the characters ending up together are highly unlikely

good job shinkai makoto, you sure broke your barriers with this one :)

DebaskySep 10, 2016 9:44 PM
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Sep 6, 2016 9:06 AM

Aug 2015
The ending is satisfying.
Sep 6, 2016 11:49 PM

Apr 2015
TheKillerAngel said:

but your signature is shingatsu kimi wa no uso
Describe your "satisfying" means XD
Sep 7, 2016 12:06 AM

Aug 2015
nearbaskara said:
TheKillerAngel said:

If I were to compare the feeling of the ending to any other anime, it's most like Steins;Gate's.
TheKillerAngelSep 7, 2016 2:31 AM
Sep 7, 2016 3:09 AM
Apr 2010
Shinkai this time was able to write a happy ending :)
Sep 8, 2016 6:51 AM

Apr 2016
The ending wasn't satisfying,i heard lots of people saying that shinkai did the unpredictable about the ending but it seems like nothing much have changed much,i agree it was better than 5CMPS but same as GOW.
Sep 8, 2016 7:28 AM

Nov 2013
How to not spoil you if you already want to know how it ends before even watching it.
All those feels, the movie is a masterpiece but yes, as @TheKillerAngel stated, the ending is satisfying.

Sep 9, 2016 5:23 PM

Jul 2015
TheKillerAngel said:
nearbaskara said:

If I were to compare the feeling of the ending to any other anime, it's most like Steins;Gate's.

This. With a touch of the Angel Beats' ending I might add.

Rose_BombSep 9, 2016 6:08 PM
Sep 9, 2016 5:31 PM

Apr 2014
just watch it, sometimes our kokoro just has to take the risk.
Sep 9, 2016 9:13 PM
Feb 2016
good ending, goodness
Sep 9, 2016 9:26 PM

Jul 2010
It's an "Angel Beats" kinda ending, only slightly better.

If I were to pick between good or bad I'd say it was definitely a good ending.
Sep 9, 2016 9:48 PM

Dec 2014
the ending was satisfying but rather it seemed open ended ....some questions were still left unanswered
Sep 9, 2016 9:49 PM
Sep 2014
The ending is irregular than his other work to "Hoshi no Koe," "Kotonoha no Niwa,"and "5 cm per sec." The only thing I've got to say that it is different from "5cm per second" if you want to compare "Kimi no na wa" with it.

You are making this hard for me when saying if it is a happy or sad ending.
Sep 10, 2016 3:39 AM

Apr 2015
I just watched the movie, thanks guys
For thus who wants to know the answer of my thread, it is a Happy Ending.
DebaskySep 10, 2016 9:23 PM
Sep 10, 2016 4:06 AM

Aug 2013
Honestly?

The ending felt weak for me, I was expecting much more than that.
Sep 10, 2016 4:07 AM

Jun 2014
Not sad, but happy is also not really fitting. satisfying is indeed the best description.

Sep 10, 2016 4:11 AM

Apr 2016
The ending was better than his previous works but you really can't call it as a happy ending rather it was open,you never know what the future holds.
Sep 10, 2016 4:21 AM

Apr 2015
well the choices are Happy end or Sad End , so yeah .. the first option is the right choice right,
this scene though
DebaskySep 10, 2016 4:39 AM
Sep 10, 2016 7:36 AM

Jan 2016
nearbaskara said:
well the choices are Happy end or Sad End , so yeah .. the first option is the right choice right,
this scene though

The was the funniest scene! LOL!
Sep 10, 2016 11:19 AM

Jan 2013
"Open", please stop people. Have you seen 5cm or any of his other works? This is actually very conclusive for him. If you've seen Steins Gate and liked how that ended then its the same thing. Their is a conclusion and everything that happens after is obviously implied.
Sep 10, 2016 7:32 PM

Jul 2010
Major123 said:
"Open", please stop people. Have you seen 5cm or any of his other works? This is actually very conclusive for him. If you've seen Steins Gate and liked how that ended then its the same thing. Their is a conclusion and everything that happens after is obviously implied.

I was wondering myself why people kept saying that the ending was open ended when it wasn't.
Sep 10, 2016 9:14 PM

Jan 2013
redd530 said:
Major123 said:

I was wondering myself why people kept saying that the ending was open ended when it wasn't.
Right? It's easy to see what happens after, so I don't get why people are saying its open.
Sep 10, 2016 9:34 PM

Feb 2013
Bit of both, really. Like all of Shinkai's endings. It really depends on how you process it. LOL
Sep 10, 2016 9:39 PM

Mar 2014
HAPPY. it is open ended like his previous works but this one is different. this gives the characters a chance to start a new relationship, they still have the feeling of liking to know each other unlike his other works which of course are also open ended but the characters ending up together are highly unlikely (which makes them not actually open ended lol)

good job shinkai makoto, you sure broke your barriers with this one :)
envy__Sep 10, 2016 9:42 PM
why am i so well drawn into time travel stories?
do i really have that many regrets?
Sep 10, 2016 11:35 PM
Mar 2016
Wait how was it obvious that they wont end together after the events of the movie? From how I saw it they were very likely to end together since they found the thing that they were always searching for. The quote from Mitsuha's grandmother even concluded that they were going to end together regardless with the unraveling of the strings that will once again meet together.
I really wonder if some people actually watched the movie.
Sep 11, 2016 4:58 AM

Apr 2016
Pretty sure that they got together after, because
, but that shit's just a theory.
currently in a state of denial
Sep 11, 2016 5:58 AM
Sep 2016
Patcan answer says it all, definitely a good ending and the new beginning for them.
Sep 11, 2016 10:17 AM

Jan 2015
CoolMorz said:
Honestly?

The ending felt weak for me, I was expecting much more than that.

Me too, but it was satisfying as a whole
Sep 11, 2016 10:20 AM

Dec 2015
It's an Angel Beats-y ending. So... It's a good ending.
Sep 11, 2016 10:45 AM

Aug 2015
FYI, the red ribbon of fate is a symbol of destined bonding in East Asian culture, so if you really cared to read that much into the film's intro sequence it would indicate that they would end up together again.
Sep 11, 2016 11:52 AM
Mar 2016
More like its impossible for them to not come together after the movie since that will directly contradict what the movie is trying to convey. Mitsuha and Taki are halves of each other. Mikoto was using the "finding the other half" theme as the basis of the movie. Unlike his other movies which details the realistic portrayals of life that is restrained by circumstances, "Your Name" mystifies the idea of the red string of fate by showing how Mitsuha and Taki always felt like they were missing a piece of puzzle even through the different periods of time.
Dec 22, 2017 9:23 PM
May 2014
Veone said:
Pretty sure that they got together after, because
, but that shit's just a theory.

君の名は?Literally translated as "your name is" is simply how Japanese grammar works and has nothing to do with them actually saying "your name is...." a proper translation would be "what's your name"
Dec 22, 2017 9:29 PM
May 2014
Major123 said:
redd530 said:

Right? It's easy to see what happens after, so I don't get why people are saying its open.

It IS open. Every time you have to decide on whether it is an open movie why would you compare it with only other movies made by the same person? What's the point of that?

It's definitely more conclusive than Shinkai's other works so you could say that in, and only in, Shinkai's terms it was conclusive.

Anyhow in comparison with most anime out here it's very open. Just because something was implied does not mean it is conclusive. In fact if the ending need interpretation of the implication then that is pretty much suggesting towards an open-ending.
Dec 23, 2017 7:12 AM

Jan 2013
123tris said:
Major123 said:

It IS open. Every time you have to decide on whether it is an open movie why would you compare it with only other movies made by the same person? What's the point of that?

It's definitely more conclusive than Shinkai's other works so you could say that in, and only in, Shinkai's terms it was conclusive.

Anyhow in comparison with most anime out here it's very open. Just because something was implied does not mean it is conclusive. In fact if the ending need interpretation of the implication then that is pretty much suggesting towards an open-ending.
Its done with, its closed.
Dec 23, 2017 3:30 PM
May 2014
Major123 said:
123tris said:

Its done with, its closed.

"A closed ending is when a TV show or film end with no confusion, meaning that it ends without making the audience think of what might happen next, no ambiguity". The movie ends at the beginning of their reunion the beginning of how they meet. The ending is a beginning not an end. Everybody thinks that they will get together because that's what has been hinted through the movie. But at the end of the day that part of the story was never told. Thus it is ambiguous and therefor open.
Jan 3, 2018 5:25 AM
Jun 2014
It is a happy ending. One might think it's up in the air, but the whole ending scene would be completely pointless if they weren't going to get together. Same with Angel beats, although angel beats have a bigger "unknown" factor to it, yet i have the same thoughts on that. If i were to label the endings it would be a Faux open ending.
Jan 3, 2018 6:39 AM
Jul 2016
~SPOILERS~

if anything the ending is up to the viewer, did they hit it off? did they continue with their regular lives? id like to think that when they remembered their names they remembered everything. but thats just me.
May 8, 2018 8:10 AM
Oct 2017
The ending was good..they met ...and when tears flowed down their eyes they realized that they were finding each other and they asked each other's name..Movie ends *..future they would tell their names and we can assume that they will live happily together because the thing they both are missing are each other person..and they both signalled that "haven't we met".. taki wasn't able to do any good in life because he was missing mitsuha and mitsuha was kinda lost because she wanted the thing to fill here life but she like taki forgot what it was..but since they found each other with an attitude of acceptance towards each other ..they realized it..so it is a happy ending..wished they would have released an OVA of them together showing their lives and all.
Aug 8, 2018 2:12 PM
Nov 2016
I just call it a 'hopeful' ending.
Eventhough it's not particularly happy, it doesn't seem like all is lost.
Nov 10, 2018 5:34 PM

Apr 2010
Seeing how this movie went and what could happen, I think it was a good ending.
Got a little worried near the end haha.
YT: Gaming (gw2,...), cons and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vercammen312
Monster girls club card: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=27137
See profile for exemples.
Jan 1, 2019 11:54 AM
Mar 2018
It's a happier ending, than the one in The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (which is quite similar to this movie)
Apr 9, 2019 12:54 AM
May 2018
The end is so satisfying to watch even at home.
“If to be truthful is to be cruel, then lying must surely be an act of kindness. And so, kindness is a lie.”
Aug 18, 2019 11:52 PM

Aug 2017
The ending is weird, not happy or sad. It could be better lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 26, 2019 2:31 AM

Jul 2014
Its a satisfying ending, leaning towards it being more on the happy side.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
Apr 23, 4:51 AM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.