Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (28) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 8, 2016 2:41 PM

May 2016
That ending made me feel so many emotions on the inside

*cries like a bitch
Sep 8, 2016 2:56 PM

Jan 2015
Fuck yes. Finally a Shinkai ending that leaves me feeling upbeat.

Haven't fallen in love with the main leads like this in a long time, in any genre. And the soundtrack was absolutely amazing. Can't wait to see it again, definitely going to buy.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Sep 8, 2016 3:44 PM

Feb 2010
Beautiful movie. Most especially loved the soundtrack. 10/10

Sep 8, 2016 3:48 PM

Mar 2012
Gorgeus movie, really, Shinaki this time has surpassed himself, he made me speechless. In the last 15-20 minutes my heart stopped beating, i saw a lot of similitudes with 5 cm per second, but the feels were so real and the ending was very great, in Shinkai's style xD

10/10!
Sep 8, 2016 4:20 PM
Oct 2013
Loved everything about this film. IMO the best work of Makoto Shinkai. If he does another film after this one (and I for sure hope he will !), it will be really, really hard to surpass it.

Definitely gonna buy the DVD. And I didn't bought a film since Kaze Tachinu, which says a lot.
Sep 8, 2016 4:40 PM

May 2008
I feel like I'm only one left disappointed after watching the movie. The beginning was interesting, then when Taki went for the trip and got to know about meteor it was really promising for plot and then what? Turned out to be cliche romance. Animation looked nice as always, but srls would it hurt them to make movie with both plot and romance?
People gonna die, what they talk about? that he touched her boobs
Havent normal conversation for even once, nonetheless he loves her
Friend agrees to make a bomb just becase she asked. You know that you could even go to prison for this? How did they managed in time rescue everyone?!
Okay, maybe I'm not romantic person, so maybe that's why I can't enjoy romances with 'destiny theme', only seeing plot holes. Still gave 7/10.
Sep 8, 2016 5:35 PM
Jan 2013
Shiro-cat said:
I feel like I'm only one left disappointed after watching the movie. The beginning was interesting, then when Taki went for the trip and got to know about meteor it was really promising for plot and then what? Turned out to be cliche romance. Animation looked nice as always, but srls would it hurt them to make movie with both plot and romance?
People gonna die, what they talk about? that he touched her boobs
Havent normal conversation for even once, nonetheless he loves her
Friend agrees to make a bomb just becase she asked. You know that you could even go to prison for this? How did they managed in time rescue everyone?!
Okay, maybe I'm not romantic person, so maybe that's why I can't enjoy romances with 'destiny theme', only seeing plot holes. Still gave 7/10.

While I understand the fact that the romance aspect of the movie was lacking, I think the overall point to the romance was just the idea of yearning. He was attracted to the country, she was attracted to the city. After switching bodies and never really having met, and for that to all go away, it invoked something that made them yearn for each other, and it was that attraction that created the romance. I think their switching of bodies and their conversations on what to do/what not to do gave adequate information about each other's lives (I mean, they lived each other's lives), and probably helped build their relationship in itself, though I think maybe those scenes could have been longer possibly. Not to mention all the memory issues and time travel made the plot more complex. Then there was the discussion of time and how its all connected, which I thought was well executed. Maybe I'm completely wrong on this whole take and I need to watch the movie again to fully understand, but that's what I got from it.

I wouldn't say the movie was cliche per se. It had some cliche elements but from the way it was executed it ultimately turned out quite well. In fact, maybe it's cliche to some, but in terms of Makoto Shinkai, I think this is quite out of the ordinary for him. This was his first "casual entertainment" kind of movie in my opinion, and I think it turned out quite well.
Sep 8, 2016 6:00 PM
Aug 2016
So sad if perfect anime movie not kissu in ending 😁
Sep 8, 2016 6:14 PM

Jul 2011
Wow, definitely my favorite work of his. <3

Barely noticed the lesser quality despite camrip. Lots of little details and stuff that's still there. I actually like the story. Although it was a bit jumbled at times, it wasn't a mess and weaves a narrative.
Sep 8, 2016 6:30 PM
Mar 2016
Im Simple Minded man, and has little knowledge about movie story (or something like that)
i just watch some movie to learn how to understand people in this movie case is Character and Author movie
yeah if you critic about lack, developing and no surprise, i think at first i never watch a TRULY PERFECT MOVIE, so i choose to dont critic but understand what a Author's Message for audience from The Movie

Makoto Shinka, As Always in Next Level
he always make a realistic story (maybe no pure realistic), simple story but we can enjoy that
Development character, for 1. 40 hour movies, that acceptable, not to rush, but not to slow
Arts, It some thing you cant argue about Makoto Shinka works, A Masterpiece, Background, somelike 3D rotate, and more than it
Sound, Very Good, can invite me to feel inside story

yeah im simple man
if i Enjoy it, i give 10/10 :))
Sep 8, 2016 6:57 PM

Jul 2012
Wow! It was a great movie. I think Makoto Shinkai did a far better job on this movie than 5 centimeters per second, but I have yet to see any other movie by him so I really can't compare too many of his works.

This movie did not drop its momentum towards the end like I thought it would. It powered though and I think that is what makes it so strong emotionally as a movie.

Overall, loved it and will recommend to others.

~Great movie!!!
Sep 8, 2016 9:20 PM

Aug 2015
Makoto Shinkai being Makoto Shinkai.
Sep 8, 2016 9:27 PM
Aug 2011
Man the score for this movie went from 0-100 the last couple days!. Probably gonna be in the top 10 by tomorrow. I was one of the lucky ones who got to see the premiere at AX and almost every day since then I've been waiting for any kind of news of when it's gonna come out in the US. Watching it the second time only improved upon the first time's experience; some plot holes were explained earlier on and it just goes to show how much thought went into this movie. Just letting you know guys the screen rip does not do a lot of justice to the actual quality of the animation. My friend and I were in awe at the animation on the big screen. Will still definitely buy the blu-ray due to that and as this has turned into one of my favorite movies ever. 11/10 Loved the story, animation, characters, music, THE ENDING, and just about everything else. Many thanks to Shinkai cuz he said he actually wanted this movie to have a happy ending, and compared to all of his other movies, I think he achieved that.
Sep 8, 2016 9:49 PM

Oct 2012
Holy that was freaking amazing
Taki and Mitsuha had great chemistry together and I kept wondering when they would meet.
Man the twists and the perseverance in this show was so satisfying to watch, the ending was definitely satisfying enough for me, now for the fanfics to invade the web XD

Seriously though this was a literal masterpiece here, I loved it so much and I'm definitely buying it when it's released over in the US
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Sep 8, 2016 10:47 PM

Jan 2008
Makoto Shinkai delivers yet another masterpiece. I didn't think it was possible, but every time; he tops his last work bringing it to the next level, with his latest work becoming my new favorite. Never fails to make me tear up (˚ ˃̣̣̥᷄⌓˂̣̣̥᷅ )‧

I can't wait to buy the discs. And I'm just now seeing there's a novel and manga of this too!? Want!

As for the movie itself, I'm glad they met again, and that the movie ended on a happy note. Although they had to

Edit: Just remembered about him since he didn't have much of a prepense as a character, but I wish they would have shown some sweet karma coming back to bite that restaurant jerk right in the ass, even something as simply as tripping on his way out or something.
Estoy_GordoSep 8, 2016 10:54 PM
Sep 8, 2016 11:28 PM

Aug 2015
OMG what a movie!!
This is different level than others, period.
Sep 8, 2016 11:35 PM

Sep 2010
This was so good :'-).

I can't even explain how glad I am that this movie went the way it did. It started out so cute, then during the middle... I had to pause and just say "nooooo..." to myself so many times. Maybe other people saw it coming, but I did not expect that sort of twist..

I wish we got a BIT more interaction at the end, but I'm so glad they chose to make this a happy story and not a tragedy.
Sep 8, 2016 11:42 PM

Nov 2014
This movie is a masterpiece! 10/10

Especially the soundtrack, I really love it. :')

“The dreams and ideals we believe in, seem they might just fall apart if we take our eyes off them.”
Sep 8, 2016 11:57 PM

Aug 2015
Stunning 10/10, I cried but where's the kiss mannnn -.- I wish there was more but wow, this film is amazing
Sep 9, 2016 12:13 AM

Nov 2014
Yukino Yukari-sensei (from Kotonoha no Niwa) teaches Mitsuha's class now.
Sep 9, 2016 12:34 AM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Awesome movie, love the music in it as well <3, will definitely re-watch this

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
Sep 9, 2016 12:42 AM

Apr 2016
Am i the only one who notices that Miki ended up with that Taki's four-eyes friend fuji?they both had an engagement ring,didn't expected that shipping :/
Sep 9, 2016 1:19 AM

Aug 2013
Just re-watched it after such a long time, loved it just as much as the first time, absolutely stunning art and engaging plot.

The score skyrocketed into 9.10+ territory, don't expect it to drop out of that range since it's a movie, and if anything, it will only go even higher, and honestly it deserve every point it gets, it's so so good
Sep 9, 2016 1:24 AM

Aug 2014
This has bumped Wolf Children as my favourite anime movie of all time.

AvidAnimeViewer said:
Makoto Shinkai being Makoto Shinkai.

I mean obviously but this is what I love him for. My reaction to the ending of kotonoha no Niwa was WHYYYYY . If Taki and Mistuha hadn't met I would have thrown my keyboard

And the insert songs in this film. Holy. Fuck.
Sep 9, 2016 1:24 AM
Sep 2014
I'm so confused about the whole timeline concept. Are they the same age? I thought he "traveled back in time" then back again, but she's 3 years behind. I'm so so confused, but I love it so much, still confused out of my mind.
Sep 9, 2016 1:29 AM

Apr 2010
Absolutely amazing, as expected from Makoto Shinkai.
Best anime movie this year.
Sep 9, 2016 1:40 AM

Aug 2013
KittyGaiya said:
I'm so confused about the whole timeline concept. Are they the same age? I thought he "traveled back in time" then back again, but she's 3 years behind. I'm so so confused, but I love it so much, still confused out of my mind.

They're the same age, but Mitsuha was already dead (in her timeline) when their body began to switch, for Taki, he was going back 3 years in time every time they switched.
So technically there's a plothole since Taki never realized Mitsuha was from 2013 every time he switched with her, I mean how can he not notice what year he was in, especially he's been going to her school and everything, and most importantly, he also has her phone. You could argue that had he realized he was in 2013, he could've saved all of the town members much sooner, but either way, the story played out fine, can't complain

But all that aside, still an amazing film
Sep 9, 2016 1:54 AM

Sep 2014
Just amazing. So much feels and heartwarming by the end of the movie. Great soundtracks. Will rewatch when higher quality come out. Def 10/10.
Sep 9, 2016 2:01 AM

Apr 2016
@Forgetful00 They're not the same age as we can clearly see that when mitsuha went to visit taki before the meteor incident,he was bit younger than her and probably in middle school and i wonder if its created a parallel timeline by saving her,this part is so fucked up for real :/
Sep 9, 2016 3:02 AM

Jan 2014
Woww the last time I checked the score it's 8.80+ then 2 hours later it jumped to 9.18.

Can't wait to watch it!!
KevilSep 9, 2016 3:13 AM
Sep 9, 2016 4:25 AM

May 2016
Well........I don't think it's good. It's too basic for my taste.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Sep 9, 2016 4:27 AM
Sep 2015
That was a good watch. The music was nice (vocals and non-vocals). the art and animation is Shinkai-tier, I came to like most of the main characters, and the ending was great.

I can point out some flaws in the show like pacing problems and there is some issues with the writing when it comes to story (possibly requiring leaps in logic) but overall, I'd watch it again. I'll even buy the Blu-Rays if they ever come out in my country.

9/10 (If there is an extended edition of this, it'll be a 10).

P.S: If this was a full-length anime that shows all the events of the film in full detail and maintains the same film-level quality, I would definitely watch it.
Sep 9, 2016 4:59 AM
Sep 2016
Been waiting for it for months, I knew it! I wasn't wrong I love it! Gonna support the blueray release, So much mix emotion... i cant even...BURN THE WORLD WIT LOVE!
Sep 9, 2016 5:05 AM

Feb 2012
I really wish people would wait for the actual release. Part of the appeal of this movie (and anime as a whole) is getting taken in by the visuals, and you can't really do with a shitty rip like what's currently out.

But oh well. This movie is surpassing all the Gintama iterations in the MAL rankings and I couldn't be happier for it.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Sep 9, 2016 5:07 AM

Apr 2014
Overrated piece of crap, 3/10
Sep 9, 2016 5:30 AM

Aug 2015
Cynthesizer said:

Care to explain?

Flawfinder said:
I really wish people would wait for the actual release. Part of the appeal of this movie (and anime as a whole) is getting taken in by the visuals, and you can't really do with a shitty rip like what's currently out.

But oh well. This movie is surpassing all the Gintama iterations in the MAL rankings and I couldn't be happier for it.

Yup, agreed.
TheKillerAngelSep 9, 2016 5:33 AM
Sep 9, 2016 5:45 AM

Apr 2016
Didn't watch it yet, but I just wanna say, SUCK IT MIYAZAKI FANBOYS!! now the shitty Spirited Away isn't the highest rated anime movie in MAL..xD
Sep 9, 2016 5:52 AM
Apr 2015
Makoto Shinkai is probably my favorite director to follow. You literally see his growth in each of his films as an artist. Kimi no na wa is his best work yet.
Sep 9, 2016 5:52 AM

May 2013
I AM GLAD THAT I AM ALIVE TO SEE THIS MASTERPIECE!!!!
LiterallyEverySpecialSnowflake said:

i wAtcHeD tHis xxxx shOW aNd iT WaS tRASh, i HaTEd iT, wHy eVeRYonE liKEs It?
It iS sO OveRRateD, i AM sO UniQUe aND SpecIAL becAUSE I hAve dIFFerent opINIon ThaN othERs, sO I muST teLL abOut it to THe wHole WorlD, leT thEM knoW i HateD iT. It WAS sO tRasHy, sO GivE mE CouNTER-ArgUMENTs eVen thOuGh i Do NOT giVe argUEmeNTs SuppORTIng My PoiNT.
Sep 9, 2016 6:22 AM
Jul 2016
TheKillerAngel said:
Cynthesizer said:

Care to explain?

well, i agree it's too overrated as cynthesizer said, but it's definitely not crap at all or 3/10..

let me copy what i wrote on reddit few hours ago..

I think i also want to share my thought about this movie:

Animation: I think this is one of the best example of "art in animation".. There's no single scene that i could recall for me to deducting the score in this department.. I wouldn't lie that maybe most of us (including me), that either didn't attend anime expo or not watching it in japan, must be watching it "in illegal way" for now.. Therefore the quality is obviously really bad compare to it's full potential.. But nonetheless, i still really enjoy the animation so much..

Plot/Story: Quite good, but not the best in this department.. The original concept is not really something new.. I think i've ever saw this concept in some Korean drama or something like that..

Music: Good.. But once again, not the best.. Maybe it just not suit my taste to be the best.. Somehow it's not that memorable for me..

Character: I really like the 2 main characters.. Not less, not more..

My final score: 8.5/10

My final thought: What if this movie, let's say, somehow got subpar or bad animation? would you really truly enjoy the show? I don't really know why, but if it was me, I won't really enjoy this anime if the animation is bad/subpar

Therefore my conclusion is : although i really enjoy this anime, i really can't deny the fact that most of my enjoyment come from the animation itself..

But that's my opinion tho.. I really appreciate if someone wouldn't mind to tell me what your opinion about this..
Sep 9, 2016 6:59 AM

Feb 2016
that was a rollercoaster of feels. I'm sold
Sep 9, 2016 7:03 AM

Jan 2016
What a masterpiece....
Sep 9, 2016 7:03 AM

Jul 2014
Just finished the movie. I thought it was good, but seriously, 9.23 average and #3 on MAL at this time of writing? Wow.

Nothing to complain about regarding the soundtrack and technical details in animation/directing, but the story itself honestly doesn't have a whole lot of substance, in my opinion. Fairly basic plot with fairly basic characters, though some would probably argue that these aren't necessarily flaws, and that the ordinary characterization allows for some good relatability for the audience. Valid points I suppose, but still, I'd expect something more from a movie that's received so much hype and critical acclaim lately.

The only two characters really worth mentioning are Taki and Mitsuha; the rest are just there on the side without development or reason to invest in them, though I guess that's kind of to be expected from the limited time a movie has. However, part of the problem is that these side characters took a good deal amount of screentime and dialogue during the movie, so the effect kind of... diluted the potential substance and emotional investment. Taki and Mitsuha themselves don't receive much complex characterization, but like I said earlier about ordinary relatability, depending on the person, this may or may not be seen as a problem. Unfortunately, I see it *partly* as such, though not necessarily a big one, I guess. In the case of Mitsuha, especially, I thought there'd be some more potential to her backstory (that Taki saw vicariously) with her mother dying from some illness(?) and her father becoming distant and abandoning the shrine to become a politician, but there wasn't any more exploration of that.

The main thing driving this movie is, of course, the romance between the two protagonists, but honestly, it didn't make me feel all that much. Their developing relationship, which was primarily based on intermittent, spontaneous text messages and hand/arm writing between the two (and the longing desire to meet each other), wasn't really compelling or deep enough for me to buy into it. As such, a few scenes, such as the one where both of them talk about how the other is so dear and important towards the end, and the one where Taki writes "I love you" on Mitsuha's hand, didn't really feel organic to me. Sure, they're teenagers, but when the primary element of the movie is the romance, I'd like a relationship with a stronger backbone to it. Unfortunately, the very premise of the movie kind of limited this, so I can't say I really expected much else.

Nothing to write home about regarding the actual plot. Unexplained supernatural stuff probably works better for this movie though, I have to admit, since then it kind of preserves the magic and surreal atmosphere and tone (the atmosphere was indeed pretty great); so I suppose it's not too big of problem, despite the supernatural events taking place being somewhat arbitrary...

I also feel the resolution to the imminent destruction of the town was kind of underwhelming... we see Mitsuha about to confront her dad, and then the comet hits, but then afterwards, we get a time-skip of 5(?) years... so basically, Mitsuha somehow managing to convince everyone to leave was something that got off-screened, and so I consider that a cop-out.

In the end, "Kimi no Na wa" is still an enjoyable movie (the animation and soundtrack kind of carry most of it though), but I don't consider it anywhere near the supposed masterpiece that people are hyping it up to be. With the basic plot and characterization and lack of a poignant message, the movie just didn't leave any real lasting impression on me, which is what a masterpiece is supposed to do for me. 7.5/10, which for me, is standard good. 8/10 if I'm feeling generous.

Eh, maybe I should just write a review... never done one before though.
LightBladeNovaSep 9, 2016 7:22 AM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Sep 9, 2016 7:39 AM
Sep 2013
LightBladeNova said:

So you watched 360p ver or watched in theater?
Sep 9, 2016 7:42 AM

Jul 2014
umashikaneko said:
LightBladeNova said:

I watched the English subbed version on gogoanime.
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Sep 9, 2016 7:50 AM
Sep 2013
LightBladeNova said:
umashikaneko said:

I mean if you watched 360p ver like current pirating video,it is your fault you didn't fully enjoy it.
His works have been known for art and animation,quality of current bootleg ver is beyond terrible.
Sep 9, 2016 8:05 AM

Jul 2014
umashikaneko said:
LightBladeNova said:

I mean if you watched 360p ver like current pirating video,it is your fault you didn't fully enjoy it.
His works have been known for art and animation,quality of current bootleg ver is beyond terrible.

Oh, so that's what you're going to do, put the blame on me... that's real classy.

The version I watched on gogoanime had good quality for me, and I even praised the animation and soundtrack in my comment above. However, for me, godly art and animation don't compensate for average story and characterization. Watching the movie in theaters wouldn't have changed my opinion on this, certainly not enough to make me consider the movie a masterpiece.

Sep 9, 2016 8:08 AM

Apr 2016
@LightBladeNova I agree on that but you've to remember that the one who watched in 360P never had the opportunity to enjoy the film to the fullest extent,we could give an analysis of the plot and without any doubt, it wasn't special and got plot holes but what separate a normal work to shinkai's works is the god-like animation,the execution which makes it somewhat brilliant.

Keeping aside the animation and other stuff,the plot should hold a little to the overall score and 9.23 is surely more than what its deserve,anything around 8-8.5 is perfect and hopefully, it'll settle on that as soon it releases on a larger scale.
Sep 9, 2016 8:09 AM

Jun 2016
umashikaneko said:
LightBladeNova said:

Even watching the bootleg version, someone should see that Your name. has a richness of details and the animation is simply stunning. Of course, the experience of watching the real deal cannot be equaled whit the online streaming, and I'm sad that I have to wait for the Blu-ray release to see the movie in all its glory, since the movie wasn't released in theaters in my country. But definitely it deserves a 10/10.

Sep 9, 2016 8:13 AM
Sep 2013
LightBladeNova said:

Well,you are complainig after watching extremely terrible quality bootleg ver which already sound stupid.

If it is legal distribution with terrible quality then fault lie people who produce movie.You cannot judge movie without influenced by terrible quality video,if it is possible you can watch it with just sounds and scripts.

The point is you are not supposed to watch ruined ver "illegally"
umashikanekoSep 9, 2016 8:20 AM
Pages (28) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

» How? ( 1 2 )

phantomgamer098 - Jul 18, 2023

50 by cl3dson »»
Nov 19, 2023 9:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.