Forum Settings
Forums

Tower of God not in the DB? [Please read the links in the first post]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 5, 2016 10:20 AM
Apr 2016
MU ? I don't know what it is but I don't care too. I just want people to rate a manhwa that i liked so much in MAL so it's popularity can raise up and mangaka can make it better.
meko963Aug 5, 2016 10:24 AM
Aug 5, 2016 10:46 AM

Nov 2014
Manga-Updates: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=55901
Or just make a blog post/profile section where you list them and rate them accordingly~

Perhaps buying the manhwa will motivate the author to make it better. A rating on MAL or most DB sites doesn't really contribute~
Aug 5, 2016 11:23 AM
Apr 2016
I will rate it on mangaupdates thanks fot it but I still want ToG in MAL. I hope that administrators of MAL will not ignore me and people who agrees with me. (About buying it, I'm not rich and I couldn't even find where I can buy it.)
Aug 5, 2016 3:03 PM

Feb 2015
meko963 said:
Do you really think that there is people that cares about Naver is technically a publisher or not ? We came here to rate anime, manga and manhwa series and look their ratings to decide start watching/reading them or not. Everyone knows that ToG is a popular and really good mahwa. It isn't an amateur work. It isn't doujinshi. No one in MAL thinks that it's doujinshi. I can't believe you guys care about naver's publisher license. (I used google translate a little so some words may be wrong.)

that's what i've been saying the whole time. MAL doesn't even care to care. and that's a problem.
Aug 6, 2016 1:58 AM

Dec 2013
Even if it doesn't fulfill the requirement criteria for being added, given its HUGE poplularity, i think mal should relax is rules for series like this. Maybe they can make a poll or something for which the most popular series will get added???
That way, im sure series like the gamer, black haze, dice and -ofc- ToG can have their rightful place in MAL
Aug 6, 2016 11:16 AM

Dec 2011
ironace said:
Even if it doesn't fulfill the requirement criteria for being added, given its HUGE poplularity, i think mal should relax is rules for series like this. Maybe they can make a poll or something for which the most popular series will get added???
That way, im sure series like the gamer, black haze, dice and -ofc- ToG can have their rightful place in MAL

And RWBY, Avatar and The Simpsons.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 6, 2016 11:19 AM

Dec 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
ironace said:

The simpsons??? Not sure if your being sarcastic or.....
(the rest i can imagine it being in mal)
Aug 6, 2016 12:25 PM

Dec 2011
^I was being serious that that is what would happen if you make exceptions based on popularity.
And, being produced in Korea, The Simpsons actually has more reason to be added than the American RWBY.

As I stated before, basing it on popularity would be arbitrary and impossible to accurately calculate.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 6, 2016 2:38 PM

Feb 2015
ironace said:
Even if it doesn't fulfill the requirement criteria for being added, given its HUGE poplularity, i think mal should relax is rules for series like this.

the thing about MAL is that they are terrified of change for some reason. and when it does happen, it takes ten years for it to happen (looking at you, notifications).

welp, they're going to have to change them anyway. stories in korea/china have no need to be papered before it gets adapted, and their adaptions are on the rise, whether they like it or not. just you wait. you'll see.

kuuderes_shadow said:

really? had no idea they allowed american works.
Aug 6, 2016 10:50 PM

Dec 2011
TomDay said:

kuuderes_shadow said:

Given that we're talking specifically about ignoring what is or is not allowed for popular series...
Aug 7, 2016 3:54 AM

Dec 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
TomDay said:

Given that we're talking specifically about ignoring what is or is not allowed for popular series...

DDDDDUUUUUUUDDDDDEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

ToG is still a manwha. RWBY is made with an anime-ish style and even has its own manga (which is on MAL-i might add) and avatar is also done using anime techniques(or as far as i can remember, i could be wrong)
All of these things are MAL-related so can be given a chance. But simpsons???? Sure its made in korea. But is it anime related even in the slightest???
Aug 7, 2016 5:36 AM

Dec 2013
TomDay said:
ironace said:
Even if it doesn't fulfill the requirement criteria for being added, given its HUGE poplularity, i think mal should relax is rules for series like this.

the thing about MAL is that they are terrified of change for some reason. and when it does happen, it takes ten years for it to happen (looking at you, notifications).

welp, they're going to have to change them anyway. stories in korea/china have no need to be papered before it gets adapted, and their adaptions are on the rise, whether they like it or not. just you wait. you'll see.

Well i hope so that that gets mal to do something about this. However, arent china's cartoons already on mal like chu feng something???? Theyll prolly pulloff a BS like it needs to be in japanese dub or something.
Aug 7, 2016 7:37 AM

Jan 2012
TomDay said:

no they didn't if we are talking about RWBY
as u can see response of Kineta in this thread

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=635001&show=50

Since we will not be adding RWBY to the database, I think this thread - in terms of a support topic and MAL's DB - is long over.Anime is, by definition of our guidelines, animated works that originate from Japan. If we changed the guidelines to a definition of style rather than origin, many series currently in the database - that are legitimately Japanese anime - would be removed

about adding tog to mal i gave up on that long time , it seems Kineta has already made her choice , and as u can see only small amount of manhua in database.

probably this thread is still open cuz who know maybe someone will put some info if it got published in future.

Aug 7, 2016 9:18 AM

Feb 2015
ironace said:

Well i hope so that that gets mal to do something about this. However, arent china's cartoons already on mal like chu feng something???? Theyll prolly pulloff a BS like it needs to be in japanese dub or something.

i meant by their ridiculous definition of stories being published and unpublished. MAL will eventually have to change the rules since there are webstories that remain unphysical but adaptations are still being made. it'll be pretty stupid to have an anime page and no "adaptation of" page because it's not physical. they can't ignore this for much longer.

but it's not only webtoon. MAL also refuses the original OPM for some reason as well. but then they turn around and say they allow webmanga.

AllenVonStein said:

yeah i know that; i wasn't serious. to compare korean/chinese works, which MAL has already said they would add, and comparing it to american works has to be the most deplorable logic i have seen. even an autistic wouldn't do that.

about adding tog to mal i gave up on that long time , it seems Kineta has already made her choice , and as u can see only small amount of manhua in database.

i understand that, but that's not my point. i'm not misunderstood, the complete opposite. what i'm saying is that for even the Word of God choices the mods decide, they are still illogical and hypocritical choices.

rules and guidelines aren't meant to stay for eternity, ESPECIALLY ones made by humans. even laws are changed.
but MAL is telling me that they're above even that? yeah that's not flying.

the reasons to add ToG (and other webtoon) are completely logical and are sound of arguments (taking aside the "it's popular" example). it's clear that MAL just doesn't care. as i said before, i'd rather hear that reason than the ridiculous "it doesn't follow the guidelines" (which it does) one.

probably this thread is still open cuz who know maybe someone will put some info if it got published in future.

someone already posted SID clearly signing a physical book of ToG and surprise surprise, it was completely ignored. you may have given up, alright then. but that doesn't change things. MAL is now forced with the problem anyway since webtoon/comics are (finally) being adapted more and more. i was only trying to help before this happened. they'll have to deal with even more threads like this now, more than ever lol. the mods think THEY'RE pissed with the webtoon threads? this is only the calm before the storm.

it's like a store who repairs phones makes a rule that only phones from 1940-70 are repaired. yeah they'll be in big business for sure.

ironace said:

ToG is still a manwha. RWBY is made with an anime-ish style and even has its own manga (which is on MAL-i might add) and avatar is also done using anime techniques(or as far as i can remember, i could be wrong)
All of these things are MAL-related so can be given a chance. But simpsons???? Sure its made in korea. But is it anime related even in the slightest???

yeah but there are tons of anime-like american works. to not even speak of ankama, a french company, which absolutely loves copying the anime/manga style.

and the RWBY manga is japanese, so that's why it's on here.

it's less about the DB beind riddled with such stuff and more on would it be right to let them on. but that's just my take.
TomDayNov 21, 2017 12:35 AM
Aug 7, 2016 9:38 AM

Dec 2013
AllenVonStein said:
TomDay said:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=635001&show=50

Since we will not be adding RWBY to the database, I think this thread - in terms of a support topic and MAL's DB - is long over.Anime is, by definition of our guidelines, animated works that originate from Japan. If we changed the guidelines to a definition of style rather than origin, many series currently in the database - that are legitimately Japanese anime - would be removed

ok... so how about this. Lets look at rwby. THe work is american but a manga adaptation was announced. Its in the database. But RWBY is not since its origin is american.
Then look at the noblesse prequel. The manhwa is added and the prequel as well, however the prequel was made by studio anima--a korean studio. So by that means it should NOT be added into the database however it was. Are there some different rules for anime or something???? Cause chinese cartoons as well as korean cartoons have been added--but not the american rwby.
Similarly, there are webmangas that can be added but not webtoons. The rules are hazy, but no body cares. Arent the mods themselves not willing to improve the rules and regulation or do they just want to serve their time like a good little soldier?
Aug 7, 2016 9:03 PM

Feb 2015
ironace said:

ok... so how about this. Lets look at rwby. THe work is american but a manga adaptation was announced. Its in the database. But RWBY is not since its origin is american.
Then look at the noblesse prequel. The manhwa is added and the prequel as well, however the prequel was made by studio anima--a korean studio.

no, MAL has already admitted (whether they follow the rules or not) that they will add korean/chinese works. just asian stuff in general (to a degree, of course).

So by that means it should NOT be added into the database however it was. Are there some different rules for anime or something???? Cause chinese cartoons as well as korean cartoons have been added--but not the american rwby.

yeah but i already pointed out that they only add asian stuff.

Similarly, there are webmangas that can be added but not webtoons. The rules are hazy, but no body cares. Arent the mods themselves not willing to improve the rules and regulation or do they just want to serve their time like a good little soldier?

no, there are even webmanga that don't make it (i already said the original OPM). but i do agree, there is this very obvious careless atmosphere when it comes to anything besides animu and mangos. they don't even know that line is a business just as much as jump nor do they care to find out.
TomDayNov 21, 2017 12:35 AM
Aug 23, 2016 4:34 PM

Jun 2009
I have seen these threads for years. Heck I even posted many times in this thread. Let me tell you why these people will never allow webtoons on their site.

There is a “core” group here on myanimelist. Those are the people who spend more of their life on this site then anyone else. There are at least a 100 of them and most of them have at least 5000 post here. It’s not hard to see why these people got to be moderators

But the funny part is this: there is a reason why they spend so much time on this forum. They have absolutely nothing better to do, and they are OBSESSED with anime and manga. Many of them have watched like more than 500 days of anime, this means they have spent a large amount of their life on Japanese culture. What does this mean? THEY ARE MOST LIKELY WEEABOO’S.

These people only care about themselves and their little weeaboo club and of course anything Japanese. Let me repeat, they absolutely do not care about the hundreds of thousands of users on myanimelist.

And for them these new growing Korean comics are a real problem. Why? Because they see it as a threat to their life styles. Manga and anime are getting worse, Years now the quality of these works are getting lower and lower. Every season its full of either sex (ecchi) or needless violence at least 90% of them. It’s called click bait (a cheap way to get peoples attention). Japanese are very good in making money as cheap as possible. It’s the reason why manga are black and white. Why most of the times animations in anime are bad or repeated.
But on the other hand we have Korea, Almost all their works that are published have great quality, especially Line webtoon. Most of the time it’s in color and even though there are millions of users their top works get easily far above a 9 average on Line.

Because of their obvious better quality I predict in time Manhwa’s and animations will become more popular then the anime and manga(internationally). Heck there are already tens of milions of readers on Line alone. And it’s only growing.

So the moderators and admins coming from this group (probably almost all of them) do everything they can to slow the popularity increase of webtoons. They don’t allow separate manhwa sections and they don’t allow most of the manhwa in their database. You can make every solid argument in the world but it doesn’t matter: they just don’t want it, end of discussion. Read the whole thread, in every post on their part they dont counter argue. Because they don’t care in the first place or they just don’t want more manhwa in their database.

There are two outcomes. Either they allow webtoons because it will eventually be more popular then manga. And maintain their status as most popular anime and manga site. Or some other site will come around who does things exactly the same as myanimelist, but include webtoons and maybe even some other content. On that day myanimelist will die.
Sep 2, 2016 5:03 AM

Feb 2016
(Stumbled upon this thread because I was dumbfounded as to why there is no Tower of God entry in MAL)

@h4ff

No, seriously, in case you are correct (Which I won't instantly believe without questioning it first), I don't get that kind of reasoning. I'm so confused that I can't even put it into words. Like, dafuq. A cartoon is a cartoon, who gives a shit which country produced it? And why not include stuff from other countries? *Especially* works that are of a very similar style, such as those "manwha". I mean, I kind of get why they don't want to include stuff like Spongebob - Even though it also is a cartoon, the art style and pretty much everything is different (Now that I think about it, they could include it too. I mean, why the hell not. It would only increase the potential userbase.), whereas RWBY or Avatar (Those are just examples I heard off, I don't know anything about them myself) or those manwha are pretty much the same (Oh shit I can already see all the elitists jumping at me right now) as anime/manga, with only difference the country of production?

Like... Logic pls.

On another note, we're still allowed to create discussion posts about the manga/anime not included on MAL, right?

Edit: Okay, so I just kinda skipped through the two posts that the title says we should read. Sorry that I didn't do that before. Which leaves me with another question: Why uphold the "don't add works that don't come from a serious publisher" principle so strongly? As can be seen with works like "Tower of God", which obviously has a good reputation, fanbase, and whatever, not being published under a "serious publisher" doesn't automatically equal to bad quality, right?
Call-Me-CaptainSep 2, 2016 5:10 AM
Sep 2, 2016 10:24 AM

Dec 2011
@Call-Me-Captain - this isn't a repository for info on high quality series. It is a database, which aims to include every work that falls within its remittance. As such it needs to set out boundaries. There are hundreds of thousands of doujin out there, for instance - including plenty of tens or hundreds of thousand that are original works or make use of public domain characters. This is considerably more than there are entries on the entire site. And of course, there are hundreds of thousands or even millions of comics/manhwa/manhua/whatever-it's-called-in-the-local-language from various countries around the world. As it wouldn't be possible to add even a significant proportion of these without a staff team far larger than MAL has ever and will ever have, there needs to be a cutoff point that is somewhere a long way short of "every comic ever produced". This cutoff needs to be one which makes some degree of sense, and which can almost always be determined as a definite "in" or "out". This role is fulfilled by the database guidelines. You may not agree with where the boundary line is drawn (there is one particular guideline that has become so arbitrary that it seems silly to me as well - which has nothing whatsoever to do with Tower of God), but if they changed them (and they have done so in the past and may do so again) then there would be people taking issue with those boundaries as well.

One thing is for sure, though - whether or not something has a good reputation, large fanbase or is of high quality (which are the main things that have been demanded by posters of this thread) CANNOT be used as a determining factor for a site like this. These things cannot be measured in any way that is not entirely arbitrary or unreliable.

On another note, we're still allowed to create discussion posts about the manga/anime not included on MAL, right?

Nothing in the rules against it, so yes we are.
Sep 3, 2016 1:11 PM

Feb 2015
h4ff said:
I have seen these threads for years. Heck I even posted many times in this thread. Let me tell you why these people will never allow webtoons on their site.

There is a “core” group here on myanimelist. Those are the people who spend more of their life on this site then anyone else. There are at least a 100 of them and most of them have at least 5000 post here. It’s not hard to see why these people got to be moderators

But the funny part is this: there is a reason why they spend so much time on this forum. They have absolutely nothing better to do, and they are OBSESSED with anime and manga. Many of them have watched like more than 500 days of anime, this means they have spent a large amount of their life on Japanese culture. What does this mean? THEY ARE MOST LIKELY WEEABOO’S.

These people only care about themselves and their little weeaboo club and of course anything Japanese. Let me repeat, they absolutely do not care about the hundreds of thousands of users on myanimelist.

And for them these new growing Korean comics are a real problem. Why? Because they see it as a threat to their life styles. Manga and anime are getting worse, Years now the quality of these works are getting lower and lower. Every season its full of either sex (ecchi) or needless violence at least 90% of them. It’s called click bait (a cheap way to get peoples attention). Japanese are very good in making money as cheap as possible. It’s the reason why manga are black and white. Why most of the times animations in anime are bad or repeated.
But on the other hand we have Korea, Almost all their works that are published have great quality, especially Line webtoon. Most of the time it’s in color and even though there are millions of users their top works get easily far above a 9 average on Line.

Because of their obvious better quality I predict in time Manhwa’s and animations will become more popular then the anime and manga(internationally). Heck there are already tens of milions of readers on Line alone. And it’s only growing.

So the moderators and admins coming from this group (probably almost all of them) do everything they can to slow the popularity increase of webtoons. They don’t allow separate manhwa sections and they don’t allow most of the manhwa in their database. You can make every solid argument in the world but it doesn’t matter: they just don’t want it, end of discussion. Read the whole thread, in every post on their part they dont counter argue. Because they don’t care in the first place or they just don’t want more manhwa in their database.

There are two outcomes. Either they allow webtoons because it will eventually be more popular then manga. And maintain their status as most popular anime and manga site. Or some other site will come around who does things exactly the same as myanimelist, but include webtoons and maybe even some other content. On that day myanimelist will die.

100% THIS POST!!!!!

THIS is what i've been saying all along. people on MAL don't know or care about webtoon enough to say they're legitimate. i gave at least 3 good points that gave solid proof that MAL knows next to nothing about webtoon. they just don't care.

and that's fine. but the thing is that they claim that's not the problem and then just direct you to the guidelines like you're a bloody idiot. and it's contradictory anyway.

Call-Me-Captain said:
Okay, so I just kinda skipped through the two posts that the title says we should read. Sorry that I didn't do that before. Which leaves me with another question: Why uphold the "don't add works that don't come from a serious publisher" principle so strongly? As can be seen with works like "Tower of God", which obviously has a good reputation, fanbase, and whatever, not being published under a "serious publisher" doesn't automatically equal to bad quality, right?

there is not legitimate reason on that. they just claim "book it or it's not published." like, who the heck made up that reason?

line/daum/spottoon/lezhin/etc all claim they are publishers. line (AT THE VERY LEAST) has a freaking building where the workers of webtoon do their stuff. they have went to legitimate comic cons. multiple websites call them a publisher. MAL? screw the fact that webtoon is a billion dollar business. screw the fact that it's part of asian culture AND THEY SAID THEY WOULD ADD ASIAN CONTENT. screw that webtoon takes a big part of korea's money industry. screw that a teaching school of webtoon was recently opened this year. it doesn't have pages, so there.

-_-....................
TomDayNov 21, 2017 12:37 AM
Sep 4, 2016 2:58 AM

Jun 2014
May you guys please stop telling the fricken site admins how to run their website? Its not going to be added and saying the admins are scared of change is dumb as hell. Want to know why its so dumb? Because its not that they're afraid of change, but its people who have likely zero experience running a site as big as mal are trying to run the show here without thinking the situation through.

If you let an exception through, the system is officially broken. End of story. Some of you guys can rant on how people here have no lives and all that, but with that attitude none of you even deserve to be taken seriously.

Also - If you think I'm being blunt here, you should see moderator Kagami on other websites.
Sep 4, 2016 9:53 PM

Feb 2015
"check your attitude "
*doesn't look at mods repeatedly mocking and teasing webtoon fans the whole thread*
"they're not afraid of change"
*has messaging system older than ten years*
Sep 4, 2016 10:08 PM

Jun 2014
TomDay said:
"check your attitude "
*doesn't look at mods repeatedly mocking and teasing webtoon fans the whole thread*
"they're not afraid of change"
*has messaging system older than ten years*

Instead of replying in an approach such as this, you should of replied to me in a more mature/convincing way. I can't help you guys nor do I control what moderators say, but you guys have control in what you say. Some of you guys are treating us like no lives and you especially agreed with that person who said that. Instead of spouting insults since it has yet to be added, try to be a star and act more mature.

I already told you why it won't be added. The last thing I can say is this though:

If you guys want change, it starts with maturity.
Sep 5, 2016 12:32 PM

Feb 2015
uh no. i have replied to all the mods available ever since i was here, and you have the nerve to call me immature? have you even read the recent posts?

no-one here is really mad about MAL not allowing webtoon on here, but the REASON MAL proposes why is so blatantly hypocritical. no-one is ignoring the rules or are asking for them to be ignored. i've said this at least three times over.
Sep 5, 2016 2:19 PM

Jun 2014
TomDay said:
uh no. i have replied to all the mods available ever since i was here, and you have the nerve to call me immature? have you even read the recent posts?

no-one here is really mad about MAL not allowing webtoon on here, but the REASON MAL proposes why is so blatantly hypocritical. no-one is ignoring the rules or are asking for them to be ignored. i've said this at least three times over.

I've read thread perfectly and completely, but still believe calling people no lives and other various things and agreeing with the person who said it 100% is certainly not very mature.

You can be as indenial as you want, but the core issue here for you guys here is your precious webtoons not being added. I'll say it again - you guys have likely zero experience running a website as big as mal and I don't agree with your "assumption" that the admins are scared of change since mal has seen change in recent years.

I have nothing more to add. Its up to you to be a star and its up to you guys to be more mature in your reasoning without relying on middle school digs. Good day and if you still don't get it, I can't help you.
Sep 5, 2016 4:01 PM

Feb 2015
Kagami said:

I've read thread perfectly and completely, but still believe calling people no lives and other various things and agreeing with the person who said it 100% is certainly not very mature.

uh agreed?

You can be as indenial as you want, but the core issue here for you guys here is your precious webtoons not being added. I'll say it again - you guys have likely zero experience running a website as big as mal and I don't agree with your "assumption" that the admins are scared of change since mal has seen change in recent years.

you still don't get it.

it's not about the webtoon. it's about MAL not standing by what they claimed they would be. i couldn't care less if the thread was about adding goat cheese. if MAL said "we will add pages involving food" and they didn't include goat cheese, i would be doing the same thing. webtoon being "precious" or not has next to nothing to do with what i'm saying.

THIS IS AN EDIT TO MY FIRST POST ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE OF THE WEBTOON PUBLISHED PROOF LINKS BEING BROKEN. HERE IS THE PROOF:
TomDayMar 6, 2018 2:21 PM
Sep 6, 2016 12:31 PM

Jun 2009
@Kagami

Yes they are in fact very afraid of change. Saying is’t dumb without making solid arguments is also not very smart, but at this point I am expecting these kinds of posts. Your so called proof that they are not afraid of change proves nothing. I have seen the threads asking for these changes, it took many years of whining and for someone to create a whole new interface to finally get attention from the admins. (and even then it took several years) Other proof they are afraid is the whole suggestion part of the forum, read some post there and you will see a pattern. Seeing as you have over 7000 posts I am guessing you have already posted there and should now what I am talking about.

For the second part, you don’t know me. I may as well have lots of experience in running a website as big as myanimelist. I could tell you I have a background in IT, but who would belief me? You argue the system will be broken if they allow exceptions through. Not only is this yet again without any evidence it’s not true either. Maybe not the best example, but for instance YouTube has rules for things like nudity and foul language. Yet they make exception all the time. Bigger channels are often excused of these rules because they are popular. And surprisingly the site didn’t break down…. The admins of Myanimelist could easily say they make exceptions for digitally published manhwa who for example have very large revenue. It would add like maybe a couple hundred manhwa at most. For a site as large as Myanimelist that’s no big deal, considering there are tens of thousands of entries. All these points where already said, and this is proof you didn’t bother to read the posts.

Now we get to the third part and the real reason you posted. You most likely didn’t read all the posts, because the things you say where already said and there where already counter arguments. When reading your posts I detect a lot of anger. It’s obvious you took my post personally, it made me smile because it’s obvious you consider yourself one of these people. The only thing I did was logically looking at the facts and putting pieces together. The only reason you posted here was because you read my posts and where but hurt. Like you said yourself you are no admin or moderator you can’t change anything, so why being here? In all your posts you only whine about certain people who are immature and who are calling people names. I am sorry my facts hurt you so much. But please get over it.

We are not taking Myanimelist seriously? Are you kidding me? They were the ones who didn’t take there users seriously. Proof is already in my previous post, the proof is in this thread and the whole suggestion parts of this forum. I only made that post to either open the eyes of users who are still trying the get things changed on this forum, or make them stop posting because nothing will change.

And could you please explain why my posts are immature, those statement of yours saying that again and again has yet again no basis whatsoever. It’s almost like you had learned a new word and where dying to use it somewhere.

@Call-Me-Captain
I think if you read most of the post in this thread you will understand, granted it's a lot.
h4ffSep 6, 2016 12:51 PM
Sep 6, 2016 11:47 PM

Dec 2011
Youtube is not a database, and it has ways of measuring popularity anyway, which MAL does not.

You bring up the idea of using revenue, but how does MAL know how much revenue it brings in? And where do you set the limit? Because any limit you set would be far more abitrary than any of the existing guidelines. And if you allow high revenue Manhwa then why not allow in high revenue releases of other things that are otherwise banned from the database?
kuuderes_shadowSep 6, 2016 11:51 PM
Sep 7, 2016 12:00 AM

Jun 2014
@h4ff - You posted a nice rant, but remember the one who rants the most isn't always the most correct. I cannot and won't post as much as you as I am typing from my vita, but to conclude -

Are they afraid of change? I don't think they are at all, rather it seems to me many people who are bitter that their suggestions are overlooked and turned down just want to say they are so they can justify their suggestion not being allowed. You forget, this site belongs to them and they can do what they want with it. This is their datebase and not yours so maybe you should pull back and stop forcing your claims onto the community.

Yeah, youtube was a horrible example since youtube is not really a database and anyway any website you use is irrelevant anyway since myanimelist is not youtube nor imdb nor whatever you decide to throw at me. This is myanimelist and you have to realize the admins can and will run it how they want and using other websites as examples is pretty stupid since they hold zero relation to how this site should be run.

I also want to take this time to congratulate you on being able to detect my "anger" and how "butthurt" I am and how your "facts" made my "feelings hurt". Damn h4ff, congratulations! Not. That paragraph was desperate and a nice read --- If you like fictional works.

Also, if you don't think claiming a group of people are no lives and continue paragraphs of senseless rants is immature then you really are less mature then I gave you
credit for. You can continue to claim I didn't read through the thread, continue to call people no lives, continue to create this fantasy in your head, continue to lack maturity, continue to force your beliefs on how this site should be run down everybody's throats.

I'm done here. I tried to reason with some of you guys. I tried to tell you guys to be a star. I really did try. I shall go be "angry" elsewhere.
KagamiSep 7, 2016 12:15 AM
Sep 7, 2016 12:23 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Thread Locked.

There seems to be no merit in keeping this thread open any longer due to the misinformation and accusations being thrown around.

MAL is not "afraid of change". Site development has nothing to do with the database guidelines, outside of limiting some options due to dev time being required. The guidelines are decided by the staff which manage the databases; site development is determined by the company which owns MAL and pays for its servers.

Please re-read my posts, as linked at the beginning of this thread. I believe they very clearly explain why unpublished webtoons are not allowed.

In the end, your takeaway message from my posts should be this:
Kineta said:
- Naver is not a reputable publishing company in the manhwa industry. Naver is a search portal.
- While Naver may meet your definition of a digital publisher, we do not allow digital-only publishers' works into our database.
- Once these works are published by reputable companies, they will be added to the database.

No database can ever be all inclusive. Every database needs to have a scope, and things that don't fit within that scope are excluded. From a user perspective, adding 5 unpublished webtoons is "no big deal". From a database perspective, this means opening the gates for hundreds of webtoons hosted by Naver that the English speaking community isn't even aware of—most of which are not anywhere near a quality level required to be published in hard-print. Furthermore, we do not allow Japanese doujinshi that are not created by recognised industry members, and Japanese works are the main focus of our database; thus, there is little incentive to make an exception for what is essentially Korean doujinshi hosted by Korea's version of Yahoo!.

Kineta said:
I can sympathise with users wanting to add these webtoons to their lists - especially because scanlation groups they follow are releasing these works. But other users want to add doujinshi released at Comiket and other users want to add OEL and other users want to add Avatar. We need to draw a line somewhere so that we can aim for a comprehensive database in the specific area we decide to focus on.
KinetaSep 7, 2016 12:26 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7682 by Yubisoft »»
Yesterday, 1:34 PM

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

130 by Barbaduk »»
Yesterday, 10:28 AM

» Surprising Manga Still Needs Approval

Uutama - Apr 19

0 by Uutama »»
Apr 19, 1:01 AM

» TO THE ADMINISTRATORS OF MAL! BIBLIOMANIA!

carhs14 - Aug 12, 2023

11 by jere344 »»
Apr 18, 7:52 PM

» Pending approval items

Marrzo - Apr 17

0 by Marrzo »»
Apr 17, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.