Forum Settings
Forums

Historical Novel 'Onihei Hankachou' Gets TV Anime Adaptation for 2017

New
Aug 31, 2016 10:38 AM

Nov 2007
It was announced that Shoutarou Ikenami's historical novel Onihei Hankachou will get TV anime under the title Onihei. The series is expected to broadcast in 2017.

Synopsis
The blade arts of the "Devil" tasked with stiking down evils threatening a peaceful Edo! Heizou Hasegawa, upholding the role of chief officer protecting against crime and arson! In 1783, the heart of the Tenmei era, Hasegawa held the office of chief director of the department charged with sustaining safety in the region, suppressing the most vile of thieves and criminals, an individual largely feared, renowned as Devil Heizou... (Source: MU)

Director, Character Design: Shigeyuki Miya (Aoi Bungaku Series)
Producer: Masao Maruyama (Monster)
Music: Kouhei Tanaka (One Piece) and Ryu Kawamura
Studio: Studio M2
Production: TMS Entertainment

Onihei Hankachou is a novel by Shoutarou Ikenami that was serialized in Bungeishunju's Oru Yomimono magazine between 1967 to 1989. A manga version has been published through Comic Ran since 1993, with Bungeishunju published its 98th compiled volume of the manga on June 21, 2016. It has previously been adapted into various live-action adaptations, such TV dramas, movies, and stage-plays.

Source: Cinema Today

Onihei on MAL
tsubasaloverOct 21, 2016 6:02 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 31, 2016 10:41 AM

Sep 2014
Seems interesting, all in for a Historical anime, hope it has some bloody action-adventure packed stories :D

Aug 31, 2016 10:46 AM

Jul 2016
sweet. im always up for more historical anime.
Aug 31, 2016 11:03 AM

Feb 2012
Hope this delivers and its one of the good historical series.

As a big fan of this genre I'm really looking forward to this.
Aug 31, 2016 11:12 AM

Jun 2016
i googled it ,seems like a detective story about solving crimes set in edo peroid so basically detective conan with samurai,COOL HA,i hope some samurai classics (like sword of doom)would be adapted into anime
Aug 31, 2016 11:14 AM

Apr 2015
More historical anime is always a treat! I have not heard of this until now, but it definitely does look interesting :D
Aug 31, 2016 11:17 AM
Mar 2011
tms this would have fit nippon more imo

bigmustache93 said:
i googled it ,seems like a detective story about solving crimes set in edo peroid so basically detective conan with samurai,COOL HA,i hope some samurai classics (like sword of doom)would be adapted into anime

its not the novel i is like the onihei[ somt tme called heizo the razor drama] it were it took the name from
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 31, 2016 11:18 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
@tsubasalover, TMS Entertainment should be credited for production, while Studio M2 for animation production/studio.

Also, Kouhei Tanaka (One Piece) and Ryu Kawamura are in charge of composing the music. (Source: Cinema Today)

The novel was serialized in Bungeishunju's Oru Yomimono magazine. Bungeishunju published 98th compiled volume of the manga on June 21. (Source: Amazon JP).

Synopsis
The blade arts of the "Devil" tasked with stiking down evils threatening a peaceful Edo! Heizou Hasegawa, upholding the role of chief officer protecting against crime and arson! In 1783, the heart of the Tenmei era, Hasegawa held the office of chief director of the department charged with sustaining safety in the region, suppressing the most vile of thieves and criminals, an individual largely feared, renowned as Devil Heizou... (Source: MU)

Aug 31, 2016 11:28 AM

May 2013
Thanks for the synopsis. Anyway count me in. I need my fill of historical anime, this one looks promising, i hope it is.
Aug 31, 2016 11:42 AM

May 2014
I'm hopeful for this one!
Seems like something a little more mature and the director was involve with Aoi Bungaku...I always thought the designs were pretty wonderful in that anime (hopefully they do something similar with this one) so overall looks like a good choice with the historical setting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2016 11:52 AM

Nov 2011
Not a fan of historical content but that premise has my interest. Hopefully will be good.
Aug 31, 2016 11:59 AM

Jun 2013
All the best to the legend Masao Maruyama & his new studio M2, looking forward to this.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Aug 31, 2016 12:00 PM
Mar 2010
^Unlike Stark, I'm a HUGE fan of historical content so count me in~

Stark: No offense meant.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Aug 31, 2016 12:04 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Historical novel huh, that's pretty unusual these days
Aug 31, 2016 12:15 PM

Mar 2012
This one is gonna be good for sure.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Aug 31, 2016 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
I lost historical stuff, so hopefully this would be a treat for me. Aside from that, decent staff members.
Aug 31, 2016 12:47 PM

May 2014
@tsubasalover You got the studio and production mixed up. M2 are in charge of animation production so should be listed as studio , TMS are listed for production. ANN / Moca-news - There's also comments by the producer Masao Maruyama on the anime if you want to add that in (from the Moca-news link)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reason behind M2 is for his dream projects he wants to do before he dies, can read a little more over here on it: https://boards.fireden.net/a/thread/143573547/

Anyway, I'm rather excited for it. Very old source material and historical, so could be really interesting.
Aug 31, 2016 12:55 PM

Mar 2015
wait, i kinda remember ever watvhing japanes live action with same title... but the sub was soo bad i stop watching it after 5 minutes or something... lol..

gues waiting for this...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 31, 2016 1:08 PM

Sep 2013
>Producer: Masao Maruyama
>movie

It has a 90% chance of flopping.
Aug 31, 2016 1:10 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
well, another new studio from Masao Maruyama, lolz
anyway, if Dylan said is true about M2, we might get some quality anime in the future after this one too.

ichii_1 said:
>movie

its not a movie tho
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 31, 2016 1:20 PM

May 2014
DatRandomDude said:
anyway, if Dylan said is true about M2, we might get some quality anime in the future after this one too.

Although he says in the article that he expects to only live another 3 to 5 years (he's 75 currently). Even if he's still alive by the time he's 80, he'll probably retire. So seems like this is a temporary studio for the next 5 years, not sure if it'll carry on after he retires or passes away.
Aug 31, 2016 1:25 PM

Jul 2010
As much as I like Historical setting I'm kinda bored with Samurai era but will most likely give it a shot anyways.
Aug 31, 2016 1:25 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Dylan21 said:
DatRandomDude said:

Although he says in the article that he expects to only live another 3 to 5 years (he's 75 currently). Even if he's still alive by the time he's 80, he'll probably retire. So seems like this is a temporary studio for the next 5 years, not sure if it'll carry on after he retires or passes away.
well of course it depends how it goes with Maruyama's health too, i already know that ! but i want to stay positive anyway !
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 31, 2016 1:42 PM

Sep 2013
DatRandomDude said:

ichii_1 said:
>movie

its not a movie tho

Heh, I miss read but my statement still stands.
Aug 31, 2016 3:25 PM

May 2014
DatRandomDude said:
Dylan21 said:

well of course it depends how it goes with Maruyama's health too, i already know that ! but i want to stay positive anyway !

Yeah hopefully he stays healthy and lives until his 90s. Hopefully he lives long enough to complete all his dream projects with his new studio.

ichii_1 said:
DatRandomDude said:

its not a movie tho

You do know he was the producer of Perfect Blue, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Tokyo Godfathers, was in charge of planning for Millennium Actress and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, development for Paprika. So if it's a film, it has 90% of being a massive success more like it.

Plus looking at his track record with TV series, he's been producer for some really iconic/memorable anime series such as: Monster, NANA, Death Note, Kids on the Slope, Chihayafuru, Den-noh Coil, Paradise Kiss, Trigun, Hunter × Hunter (2011), Texhnolyze, Ushio & Tora as well was in charge of planning for Kaiba, Paranoia Agent, Kobato., Kaiji, Black Lagoon and BECK. He's probably one of best and most experienced producers you can get.
Aug 31, 2016 4:07 PM

Sep 2013
Dylan21 said:

ichii_1 said:

You do know he was the producer of Perfect Blue, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Tokyo Godfathers, was in charge of planning for Millennium Actress and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, development for Paprika. So if it's a film, it has 90% of being a massive success more like it.

Plus looking at his track record with TV series, he's been producer for some really iconic/memorable anime series such as: Monster, NANA, Death Note, Kids on the Slope, Chihayafuru, Den-noh Coil, Paradise Kiss, Trigun, Hunter × Hunter (2011), Texhnolyze, Ushio & Tora as well was in charge of planning for Kaiba, Paranoia Agent, Kobato., Kaiji, Black Lagoon and BECK. He's probably one of best and most experienced producers you can get.

He's a flop or hit producer (almost all those films are flops), he left madhouse $25 million in debt.
He left madhouse in 2011 so no hxh, mappa is doing good but only because they are keeping a leash on him.
Aug 31, 2016 4:24 PM

May 2014
ichii_1 said:
Dylan21 said:

He's a flop or hit producer (almost all those films are flops), he left madhouse $25 million in debt.
He left madhouse in 2011 so no hxh, mappa is doing good but only because they are keeping a leash on him.

Well I've watched all of those films I listed and they were all good to excellent but different tastes/opinions I guess. Ratings and review wise they are also well-received, so can't really call those a flop just that you didn't enjoy them (unless you're talking about sales).

He's listed as producer for HxH 2011. Also no that's not the reason, did you even bother to see his track record? He's produced a damn lot of amazing series. I don't see how being producer of Monster, NANA, Perfect Blue, Death Note, Kids on the Slope, Chihayafuru, Den-noh Coil, Paradise Kiss, Trigun, Texhnolyze and Ushio & Tora can be considered a 'flop.'
Aug 31, 2016 5:00 PM

Sep 2013
@Dylan21 yes I was talking about sales and he's only the creative producer for hxh for little bit until he left.
Aug 31, 2016 7:30 PM

Jun 2013
ichii_1 said:
@Dylan21 yes I was talking about sales and he's only the creative producer for hxh for little bit until he left.
as far as my understanding goes he was only a planner for hxh 11
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Aug 31, 2016 7:48 PM

Apr 2014
Keeping an eye out for this one, especially since it's Maruyama's newest studio's debut work.
Aug 31, 2016 8:37 PM

Nov 2007
@Vindstot and Dylan21: Thank you for pointing that out. I have fixed it.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 1, 2016 11:57 PM

Aug 2013
Producer is good and it's about historical samurai(i don't watch many samurai anime...only rurouni kenshin I think...) but synopsis and the discussion makes me curious enough to definitely want to try this one.

Hope this will be seinen with action packed drama I always like.
Sep 4, 2016 2:55 AM

Nov 2011
As a huge jidegeki fan,count me in.

More topics from this board

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
55 minutes ago

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

Doshigatai - 3 hours ago

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
1 hour ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - 1 hour ago

1 by EcchiGodMamster »»
1 hour ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

26 by infanf »»
3 hours ago

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by DARM11 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.