Forum Settings
Forums

Not understanding the anime VS Reading too much into the anime.

New
Aug 30, 2016 10:03 PM
Jul 2018
The title say it all. Unless you didn't quite get it, here's a brief of it >>>

Not understanding the anime.
- Examp. ecchi anime and people would go stupid with their ridiculous comment on the fanservices. It's an ecchi anime what would you expect. Of course there's tons of fanservice.

Reading too much into the anime.
- Gag anime and expecting a serious storyline. Hmmm... If there's that kind of idiot. Oh wait... that is who I am. Joke on me I guess. XD

Not enjoying a hobby and just watch series to complain and cry about it.
- As it is. ^^
- Credits to SilverDio for this.

EDIT: Adding another option thanks to SilverDio because it somehow feel like a good one to the topic. X)
removed-userAug 31, 2016 6:01 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 30, 2016 10:05 PM

Sep 2015
Not understanding an anime is acceptable but I hate it when someone tries to read too much into anime
Aug 30, 2016 10:10 PM

Jul 2016
The biggest anime problem is not enjoying a hobby and just watch series to complain and cry about it.
Aug 30, 2016 10:32 PM

Nov 2009
Reading too much into anime while not understanding it.
SAO isn't something you need to write an academic work about. It's exactly what it seems.
Yet people fail to see basic battle anime tropes applied to MMO environment, and complain about MC's overpoweredness when he does ordinary battle protagonist stuff, like continuing to fight after receiving wounds what would have killed 10 lesser men.
Aug 30, 2016 10:33 PM
Jul 2018
I read too much into anime that's why once I had mean score of 3
Aug 30, 2016 10:45 PM

Jun 2015
SilverDio said:
The biggest anime problem is not enjoying a hobby and just watch series to complain and cry about it.

this ^
there are people who just love watching shows they know they wont like, then shit on it
Aug 30, 2016 11:03 PM

Feb 2016
the second one, remind me for some reviewer who expecting serious storyline into non non biyori series. what a shame
Aug 30, 2016 11:04 PM

Sep 2015
I think there is nothing inherently bad that attached in 'not understanding' or 'not knowing' for it is the first step to new knowledge. You will demand and strive for the explanation as the consequence. You will start reading sources, do little research and asking questions which lead to new knowledge and gain insight. In this case, this insight would either make you like that anime more and raise your score or the other way around. But either way, I think it is a good thing since it comes from ourselves.

As for reading too much, well as the virtue of 'too much' definition, only bad connotation will follow and I do think it is unhealthy too if we do that especially in excessive way.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Aug 30, 2016 11:10 PM

Mar 2016
SilverDio said:

This + considering making argument and complain as the same

"Not understanding the anime" is understanable in my opinion especially when it come to fanservice. Some shows doesn't tagged ecchi yet has alot ecchi scene. I heard that ecchi as a genre is not originally come from Japan. So, it's understandable that some "ecchi anime" doesn't tagged as ecchi. The problem is not the show itself but the people who kept watching only for complaint about it.

"Reading to much into anime" also is not a problem in my opinion. Some anime has a premise to be serious and dark at first, yet it turned "completely different" in latter episodes. I have seen many shows like this. I think it's not the viewer fault to have a high hope. It's understanable. Back again, the problem is the people who kept watching it and complain about it.

And also, i think complain and making argument is not the same. Some people salty and judging other as complain only because that person making negative argument about a show they like.

Well, maybe i am bias here because i personally don't like fanservice (except in hentai lol) and liking anime with serious plot more.

Sorry for my bad english senpai xD
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Aug 30, 2016 11:19 PM

Mar 2014
I was thinking something completely different from your examples. Those seem more like unrealistic expectations than reading into or not understanding a show, though I suppose the first one fits.

It really depends. I have no issue with people picking apart the plot, some people love tight narratives with no ass pulls or any of those fancy terms, and I totally understand that, you're naturally going to be more critical of the aspect you consider most important.

On the flip side, you really need to know what you're getting into. I don't like ecchi, but it's pretty easy to tell what shows are going to check all the wrong boxes for me unless I hear something specific about it that interests me, so I simply avoid them. Criticizing gag shows for being "the same thing over and over" Sakamoto for example, is a bit silly as well if you're not into those kinds of shows to begin with.

Overall, people who complain about looking into it too much annoy me more because they come up with ridiculous excuses for why you can't criticize their show, but between the choices you gave, misunderstanding is probably worse.

flannan said:
SAO isn't something you need to write an academic work about. It's exactly what it seems.
Yet people fail to see basic battle anime tropes applied to MMO environment, and complain about MC's overpoweredness when he does ordinary battle protagonist stuff, like continuing to fight after receiving wounds what would have killed 10 lesser men.
The problem is that the world has pre-established rules the MC consistently breaks, seemingly for the purpose of emphasizing how strong he is, but what's the point of those rules if the show doesn't follow them? It's setting is opposed to the tropes it is attempting to apply, which destroys any tension. In another battle shonen, a nakama power up or similar trope might give the MC a short burst of strength or perhaps more when they sacrifice something for it like when Gon goes super saiyan, or their might be a loop hole or different way of thinking about the rules. Battle shonen are as much about puzzle solving as they are about cool fights, and SAO has neither of those, it's blatant rule breaking. "It's not meant to have an academic work written about it" is a poor defense when many other shows that aren't "meant" to have academic works written about them handle these tropes so much better.
Aug 30, 2016 11:26 PM

Apr 2010
Both can be annoying. If you don't understand anything, what's the fun? If you're over thinking, you're gonna get a headache. The most annoying anime in this part is Death Note. There's so much to talk about... But I didn't like it that much...

Aug 31, 2016 12:26 AM

Nov 2009
merryfistmas said:
flannan said:
The problem is that the world has pre-established rules the MC consistently breaks, seemingly for the purpose of emphasizing how strong he is, but what's the point of those rules if the show doesn't follow them? It's setting is opposed to the tropes it is attempting to apply, which destroys any tension. In another battle shonen, a nakama power up or similar trope might give the MC a short burst of strength or perhaps more when they sacrifice something for it like when Gon goes super saiyan, or their might be a loop hole or different way of thinking about the rules. Battle shonen are as much about puzzle solving as they are about cool fights, and SAO has neither of those, it's blatant rule breaking. "It's not meant to have an academic work written about it" is a poor defense when many other shows that aren't "meant" to have academic works written about them handle these tropes so much better.

1) Real world has established rules that anime martial artists consistently break as well. Why do people keep forgetting it?

2) Kirito never consistently breaks any rules. Any "rules" you might think he is consistently breaking is your idea of how MMORPGs are balanced. SAO the game is balanced markedly differently.
In particular, SAO favors player skill a lot more than ordinary RPGs. It's a lot more like 3D-shooter or an action-RPG in this regard, only more so.
Also, SAO the story tends to overestimate how powerful a person can become if he/she trains a lot and fights a lot. That's a setting where one can learn danger sense in a MMORPG, and apply it IRL, for example.

3) In SAO, power of love gave MC a short burst of impossible. It's not that different from power of friendship from other anime.

4) Frankly, anime adaptation just broke most of the "puzzle solving" aspect of SAO fights. That's my biggest complaint about the adaptation.

5) Overall, SAO handles its tropes just fine. But some people read too much into it.
Aug 31, 2016 2:40 AM

Nov 2014
I fail to see how "reading too much into anime" means "having the wrong expectations about a show" but whatever.
Reading too much into an anime is such a bullshit statement tho, if I got something out of a show, what's the point of trying to convince me that I'm wrong? It's just like people who use the word "nitpicking", just a stupid thing to say to justify to yourself that your opinion is superior.
Aug 31, 2016 2:45 AM

Feb 2016
For me i am the type of person who reads too much into the anime -_-
Aug 31, 2016 3:04 AM

Jun 2011
:/ Well, I say you can have both a good plot and good fanservice.

EXAMPLES:Gunbuster, Video Girl Ai, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

You can also just be out with what you are and be proud like : Golden Boy, High School DXD, MM.

In otherwords, skip the tripping and accidental perverts (shinji but this was kinda redeemed by Rei's reaction). I kinda like... real perverts in my ecchi, harem, fanservice anime.

I like yaoi. I seriously cannot claim to have real taste anyway. I just enjoy what I enjoy. Cute boys playing sports: yeah... I am right there first in line to watch that.
Energetic-NovaAug 31, 2016 3:08 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 31, 2016 3:09 AM

Jun 2015
The newfags who complain that not every anime is like SAO, SnK, OPman, F/Z and the like. This decade has been getting them yearly for the poll question.
Aug 31, 2016 3:11 AM

Feb 2010
The biggest problem is definitely thate people read way too much into anime. Sometimes even trying to call shows masterpieces without knowing if the show was even intended to be this deep.
Aug 31, 2016 3:12 AM

Jun 2011
BRB-kun said:
The newfags who complain that not every anime is like SAO, SnK, OPman, F/Z and the like. This decade has been getting them yearly for the poll question.

Oh man. *claps*
Gosh people who want nothing but action shonen after action shonen and have no desire to "evolve" into more.

I am so happy I started with Inuyasha (and loved it) and not something better (and yeah it is action shonen but man does it have a lot more to offer as a gateway drug into all anime). I don't think I would have developed into someone who loves so many anime if I had started with something like Attack on Titan which doesn't feed into much that anime has to offer.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 31, 2016 3:46 AM

Mar 2012
Definitely reading too much into an anime and then making out even obvious comic relief scenes as some perverted romantic scenes or things like that to prove that the one that they ship are truly in love. Fujoshi's tend to do that a lot and it annoys me when they step out of their yaoi fandom and use that logic with straight characters to prove that they are actually gay but can't admit it.

Oopsie, I ended up being a bit too specific there, but as long as you don't force your opinions and theories on others then it shouldn't really be a big problem either ways. The ones who whine about series are the ones who either didn't understand it or the ones that built up their expectation (mostly regarding ships) by reading too much into it only to be shattered in the end.
Aug 31, 2016 5:28 AM

May 2016
Easiest way to not "read too much" is to establish one and one thing only:

Is the anime attempting to be thought provoking, contemplative, introspective, philosophical?

I think anime in general are pretty clear in sign posting when they're doing something that's supposed to be read into and when they're not. The obvious example is stuff like mainstream titles that have the sort of basic set of characters, plots, and themes, but don't really suggest that you need to read into whether or not someone eating an apple is a signal for temptation.

On the other hand, I think certain anime do try to go for that vibe. Angel's Egg for instance, is pretty interpretative, and I don't really think there's that many ways where you can blatantly misread it as long as you are fairly consistent with how you approach it.

So it's basically all about what the anime wants you to do. Some anime want you to read into everything. Other anime couldn't really care less.
Aug 31, 2016 5:42 AM

Mar 2016
The answer is all above and below
But the biggest problem IMO is they not enjoy their hobby and always find bad side from an anime,then complain with(plot hole,annoying MC,etc)* and forgot the good side that must enjoy.

*solution is read the source
RioAlAug 31, 2016 9:12 PM

Aug 31, 2016 5:42 AM

Jun 2016
-Not understanding the anime.
I think it is a big problem, but not anyone can understand everything, so if you really wanna watch that anime you can go on a forum and discuss it with other people, so it will be more simple to understand.

-Reading too much into the anime.
I feel like in some anime if you don't read into it you kinda miss what the creators wanted to say, anime is ART so sometimes it is better to read into it.

-Not enjoying a hobby and just watch series to complain and cry about it
Why do you take your time to watch something you don't enjoy? Simply go watch something you enjoy.
Aug 31, 2016 5:49 AM

May 2016
For me, the problem with most anime fans is not understanding an anime. Reading too much into things is the least of people's problems. I sincerely believe even people who seem to "get it" don't on the level that I think they probably should.
Aug 31, 2016 6:18 AM

Jun 2016
alinet86 said:
xpandaslover said:
-Not understanding the anime.
I think it is a big problem, but not anyone can understand everything, so if you really wanna watch that anime you can go on a forum and discuss it with other people, so it will be more simple to understand.

Ermmm... It's not that complicated actually. We're talking about the misunderstanding of the simple one. Like blaming ecchi anime for excessive amount of fanservices etc... Well there's the harder part like you said but let save it for another discussion. :)

Oh sorry, then it is rather simple, if you don't like ecchi you don't watch it.
Aug 31, 2016 6:23 AM
May 2012
alinet86 said:
Not enjoying a hobby and just watch series to complain and cry about it.
- As it is. ^^
- Credits to SilverDio for this.

Thanks for stating the obvious, kid.

This is exactly the biggest anime fans problem is. It's like anime really affects our lives.

Hell, I basically watch any anime in terms of storylines. Because I'm indifferent person.
Aug 31, 2016 6:50 AM

May 2015
I'd take 'not understanding', or more correctly 'not trying to understand'.

Someone who reads too much at least tries to analyze. They may be misguided, but their brains are working. They construct arguments you can respond to.

People who don't try to understand and write off anime as 'just ecchi' or 'just edgy' don't leave room for discussion.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 31, 2016 6:55 AM

May 2016
The most common issue I think is when people expend all their effort on things that don't have much to say, and are bored by things that have a lot to say.

This isn't just applicable to shows but things within the shows themselves. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but Ergo Proxy is such a perfect example of this, because I think most people end up focusing on the things that are easiest to grasp and make too big a deal out of it, when the much more substantive and poignant material comes off as "boring" and "pretentious." I feel like a lot of people's captivation with Ergo Proxy are often way too focused on the surface.

Why that's the case, who knows?
Aug 31, 2016 7:06 AM

Nov 2009
BRB-kun said:

Also, plotfags who complain that not every anime is like War and Peace (the author was paid for the length).
One has to skip a few things to fit a suitably epic plot into 12 episodes.

Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
:/ Well, I say you can have both a good plot and good fanservice.

Yeah, people who don't realize that can be quite annoying.

Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
In otherwords, skip the tripping and accidental perverts (shinji but this was kinda redeemed by Rei's reaction). I kinda like... real perverts in my ecchi, harem, fanservice anime.

Personally, I don't like them. Unless they manage to be as charismatic as Dark Shneider (the titular character from Bastard), they're just too damn uncool.
Aug 31, 2016 7:47 AM
Oct 2014
I tend to read too much into anime, but I don't really consider it a problem. When I do it, I tend to think of the symbolism and broader meaning behind the show, perhaps ascribing intentions to the writers that they never had. This allows me to appreciate the show on another level, so it actually enhances my enjoyment.
Aug 31, 2016 7:56 AM

Dec 2015
Its definitely a huge problem when someone takes animu WAY too fucking seriously. I hate those people infact.
Like somehow some faggots can find sexism in animes where its not even there like what the actual fuck? What is their problem honestly?

Another thing I find annoying af are those that want "deep" anime all the time. The problem starts when they try to search it in places where its obviously not even there, and since its not there its automatically shit series. Again, what the fuck?
Just my brain starts to hurt when I stumble upon these people
Aug 31, 2016 8:26 AM

Oct 2015
Being ignorant is not as bad as being pretentious, because at least someone who doesn't understand may be willing to learn.
Aug 31, 2016 8:39 AM

Mar 2016
Yudina said:
The most common issue I think is when people expend all their effort on things that don't have much to say, and are bored by things that have a lot to say.

This isn't surprising when you think of the kinds of people who are prone to 'analyse' these shows.
Aug 31, 2016 9:44 AM

May 2015
alinet86 said:

- Examp. ecchi anime and people would go stupid with their ridiculous comment on the fanservices. It's an ecchi anime what would you expect. Of course there's tons of fanservice.

- Gag anime and expecting a serious storyline. Hmmm... If there's that kind of idiot. Oh wait... that is who I am. Joke on me I guess. XD

Isn't reading too much into an anime the same thing as not understanding it? What's the difference between complaining about ecchi in ecchi anime and complaining about gags in gag anime?

Edit: That is to say, if you're reading into something more beyond a necessary and reasonable point..you're not understanding it.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Aug 31, 2016 1:01 PM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

Someone who reads too much at least tries to analyze. They may be misguided, but their brains are working. They construct arguments you can respond to.

People who don't try to understand and write off anime as 'just ecchi' or 'just edgy' don't leave room for discussion.
Pretty much, you can't talk to those people, they have nothing interesting to say, and often come up with silly rhetoric like "you're watching the show the wrong way". Bitch, I'll watch your favorite show however I damn well please.
Aug 31, 2016 1:16 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
all are part of the problem lol, but at least not understanding an anime is understandable

but idk man, many of these reviewers/critics are buzzkillers who trying to find everything wrong with what theyre watching instead of just enjoying it for what it is

whining about anime only gives free publicity to casual fucks such as myself who are going to then watch it and buy the merchandise
Aug 31, 2016 1:44 PM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Pretty much, you can't talk to those people, they have nothing interesting to say, and often come up with silly rhetoric like "you're watching the show the wrong way". Bitch, I'll watch your favorite show however I damn well please.

I don't mind being told I watch a show the wrong way - I think most people watch Future Diary the wrong way. I missed a big point about Evangelion. The problem is, when someone doesn't even try to analyze the anime and just says 'lol ridiculous'. See also: Anime YouTubers.

You can even analyze ecchi anime. Shocking!
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 31, 2016 1:52 PM

May 2016
ashfrliebert said:
alinet86 said:

Isn't reading too much into an anime the same thing as not understanding it? What's the difference between complaining about ecchi in ecchi anime and complaining about gags in gag anime?

Edit: That is to say, if you're reading into something more beyond a necessary and reasonable point..you're not understanding it.
I agree with the general sentiment in your post.

I get the impulse to "analyze" everything, but I feel if anything that's more of a self-indulgent need to confirm your own intelligence as opposed to actually putting in effort where effort is due.

The fact remains that there are things that are not worth reading into and not worth analyzing, and there are things that are. I find it rather astonishing that some people believe in the need to give everything some sort of intellectual attention.

That astonishment aside, it doesn't surprise me that those same people are more likely, though not certainly, to exhibit a much shallower understanding of things that actually have depth and importance.
Aug 31, 2016 1:57 PM

Feb 2015
Lol... Just what the hell is this shit?

I guess the biggest problem here is that the problem is the fact that no one wants to solve the problem, thus it makes it bigger and no one dares to do anything about it.

Ohhh wait... I don't know what I just said... I'm just you know... shitposting....
Aug 31, 2016 2:02 PM

Jan 2016
I agree with the three problems, but consider the last one to be the biggest one. After all watching anime is just a hobby (at least I see it like that) so taking it too seriously or looking for flaws instead or more than for enjoyment is something I don't go with. Regarding the other two problems, I think people should take in consideration the circumstances and purpose of each anime when giving an opinion or critic about it instead of reviewing an ecchi anime under the standards of another genre for example.
Aug 31, 2016 4:22 PM

Nov 2014
grakara said:
The biggest problem is definitely thate people read way too much into anime. Sometimes even trying to call shows masterpieces without knowing if the show was even intended to be this deep.
And how is that a problem exactly?

The real problem is the character limit.
Aug 31, 2016 4:50 PM

May 2016
Touniouk said:
grakara said:

Because reading too deeply into something often means you either:

1. Overestimated how much the work in question is actually saying
2. Similar to point 1, that the interpretation likely made a claim that went way beyond either the intention or details in the anime

Both of these I would say are not great, because it shows someone is thinking too hard about something that doesn't say much or it shows that they are adding something additional to the show that shouldn't be there.
Aug 31, 2016 5:26 PM

Oct 2010
I'm not going to say that there's not such thing as "reading too much", there may be some example here or there, but that it's definitely one of the most excruciating expressions I've come across, no doubt. Seeing that each spectator is an individual who legitimately reacts to a work in their own way, the phrase "reading too much" sounds condescending and self-centered. It assumes that just because you couldn't find complex meanings in your viewing anybody who did are lying to themselves. It's an awful and unnecessary replacement for discussion.
Aug 31, 2016 5:34 PM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
merryfistmas said:

I don't mind being told I watch a show the wrong way - I think most people watch Future Diary the wrong way. I missed a big point about Evangelion. The problem is, when someone doesn't even try to analyze the anime and just says 'lol ridiculous'. See also: Anime YouTubers.

You can even analyze ecchi anime. Shocking!
I was going to respond but
jal90 said:
I'm not going to say that there's not such thing as "reading too much", there may be some example here or there, but that it's definitely one of the most excruciating expressions I've come across, no doubt. Seeing that each spectator is an individual who legitimately reacts to a work in their own way, the phrase "reading too much" sounds condescending and self-centered. It assumes that just because you couldn't find complex meanings in your viewing anybody who did are lying to themselves. It's an awful and unnecessary replacement for discussion.
I feel the same thing applies to your comment as well. If somebody watches future diary and genuinely has that reaction, telling them they're watching it the wrong way seems equally self-centered. As long as you aren't watching something just so you can complain about it and insult it's fans, than you're way of watching isn't "wrong".

Yudina said:
Touniouk said:

2. Similar to point 1, that the interpretation likely made a claim that went way beyond either the intention or details in the anime

Both of these I would say are not great, because it shows someone is thinking too hard about something that doesn't say much or it shows that they are adding something additional to the show that shouldn't be there.
And the same applies to you as well. How do you know their claim goes beyond what the show intended? Are you the arbiter of thematic depth in cartoons? and why does the intention matter in the first place? If they watched a show and felt it was about something, then there were things in that show that made them feel that way, unless they went into the show trying to interpret it as a metaphor due to what they've read online or something weird like that.
Aug 31, 2016 5:36 PM

Dec 2012
Each one can be rectified when the anime in question is put into perspective. I'd say reading into anime (in the OP's context) is a bit more detrimental to enjoyment since it establishes a know-it-all expectation whereas not understanding something doesn't always mean you can't enjoy it. I don't know a single thing about mahjong but I was still swept up in the thrill of watching the battles unfold in Saki.
Aug 31, 2016 5:57 PM

May 2016
merryfistmas said:
And the same applies to you as well. How do you know their claim goes beyond what the show intended? Are you the arbiter of thematic depth in cartoons? and why does the intention matter in the first place? If they watched a show and felt it was about something, then there were things in that show that made them feel that way, unless they went into the show trying to interpret it as a metaphor due to what they've read online or something weird like that.
My argument concerns not what people feel from a show, but whether they read deeply into it or not. I won't deny it's subjective, but I think in general it's fairly easy to ascertain what's the purpose of something and use that to determine how far you should read into it. I don't deny that intentionality is always clear, but intention exists within the essence of a work itself, and often times it is not particularly difficult for us to evaluate.

And above all, I think intention is way more important than what people make it out to be.

I'll just work from the ground up as to sort of clarify what I mean. Note that the genres that I use do not reflect my beliefs in what can or cannot be "read deeply" in these genres but rather illustrate a sort of steady rise in the ladder based on what I see are some common place things in said genres.

Let's start with something completely base. Pornography. Why does porn exist? It's a sexual fantasy, designed to get people horny, so they jack off. Sounds simple enough. In that case, I would argue the vast majority of people who watch a porn scene should not be watching it for intellectual purposes, that is to say, looking at the size of the man's dick and trying to showcase how that represents male dominance, and the woman's submissiveness and ultimate powerlessness to control her body's feelings are representative of the patriarchy and its domination over the world of woman.

Clearly, there's no social commentary in most porn. It's essentially there for eroticism and self-indulgence.

Let's move up a notch. Let's look at ecchi anime, and I want to say that let's look at an anime that is likely clearly designed to be ecchi. In other words, let's not look at anime where there are obviously ecchi qualities. TTGL, KLK, Monogatari. These all have ecchi qualities, but I wouldn't say that they are representative of the type, but rather use elements for some other purpose. If we take an ecchi anime or manga off the street like....Love Hina.

I have nothing against the show. I'm sure it's fun, entertaining, whatever.

Here, I think the purpose of Love Hina seems relatively simple. You have a main protagonist, with a bunch of girls, and they find themselves in comedic situations and there's a nice romance and drama that plays around it.

Okay, that's great, but is this an instance where you want to be analyzing the particular colors of the girl's clothing to a crazy degree? Is there some sort of motif of depth that emerges of some great insignificance, such as important reoccurring dreams, the importance of a particular object, the intentional fixture of a particular setting, repeated words that have weighed significance?

I will grant you, maybe? Maybe if you look really hard, you can formulate an argument. But on the whole, I'm going to argue that you can't do this with shows of this nature precisely because they aren't designed for that purpose, and that's okay.

Let's talk about something else. Purely action/adventure stories. Let's use Code Geass as an example, because it's such a popular anime, everyone should likely have an understanding of it. Code Geass is entertaining, action packed, filled with a great ensemble of characters, and it's got the explosions necessary to set your pants on fire. Great.

But again, let's talk about reading deeply into it. Note that in this case we have sets of characters that we might deem to be "intelligent" actors, that is to say that they have agency and seem to make actions of significance so that we may identify nuances and particularities about them that might give us more insight.

How much can you read into a particular match, where Lelouche makes an infamously illegal move? How far can you read into the ending of the first season? Now here's where you can draw some sort of a theme, that is to say Lelouche's inability to control his power, the sort of preeminence of a greater power unable to be properly understood by man. Okay, I'll give you that there's something to be had there, but is there a great sort of build up and development of that theme? Is it a recurring factor that isn't necessarily just used for the sake of convenience and twisting the plot to ensure the maximum entertaining outcome?

This is something a bit more worth discussing, but for me it's clear here that even if there's an obvious theme, the exposition, development, and aspects of that theme are not at a point where I can say that it fulfills a great depth to it. For that reason alone, I'd say there's no need to read into it way too deeply.

Let's then talk about one of the Miyazaki movies. Spirited Away. Here's where we start seeing some more meat, some more nuance that I think is likely missing from the others whereas Miyazaki attempts a much more subtler approach that requires a sort of "deeper" reading if you will. There's great deal more symbolism, albeit fairly obvious ones. Pigs for gluttony. Water as cleansing but also as a representation of memory, longing, and distance (hence the Sixth Station). The scene at the end, a flash of Chihiro's band, is of a much subtler detail that allows us to read more deeply into why Miyazaki emphasized that scene at a moment that is otherwise not particularly filled with substance.

So at this point, I think it's clear that we've approached a film that is much more open to interpretation and likely gives a much better platform to a deeper reading than others.

But I don't think we're done. Let's look at Ergo Proxy.

I'm going to use Ophelia as an example, because it demonstrates the difference in deep readings and cursory ones. Here we have an episode that's essentially almost all representational, and almost certainly requires a deep reading in order to understand. Re-Il's posture in the center of the episode recalls the famous painting of Ophelia by Sir John Everett Millais. Ophelia represents many things in Shakespeare's Hamlet, but for the purposes of the episode, we remember her loneliness, rejection, and abandonment by Hamlet, a man, which corresponds to the doppelganger's isolation, rejection, and abandonment by not a man, but man himself.

The water is not just a simple representation of purity, cleansing, and nostalgia, but more deeply (in my opinion), a mirror which reflects a representation of ourselves: hence Vincent's constant inability to recognize the real from the surreal, as his placement within the pool of water forces him to confront the mirror, the representational, and himself, much like how he is initially incapable of seeing the real Re-il, but mistakes the doppelganger for her.

There's so much more I can talk about this episode (in fact I'm quite certain a ten page paper could easily be written on just how good Ophelia is), but I hope I've made my point.

I don't think I'm being too crazy here when I say that there is a very clear hierarchy, where certain series, precisely because of how they are made, lend themselves to deeper reading and deeper interpretations. That does not mean that one series is better than another because it affords itself to deeper reading. It could mean that, since I sort of think that, but that's not necessarily the case.

The point is that I do think people read too much into things. I don't as @jal90 seems to think, that it's condescending at all, but rather a rational decision that people make when they watch something. It doesn't have to be consistent across everybody, but nobody looks at every series and says "you can literally interpret all of this however you want." If that was actually the case, there'd be no meaning behind postmodernism, no meaning behind surrealism, no meaning behind romanticism, and no meaning behind the bizarre, which are all designed to stretch our interpretative forces beyond what is normal, and beyond what we normally understand, and to create from the classical understanding of the story as being very delineated, orderly, and properly sign posted, to something that is much more interpretative, difficult to grasp, and not entirely comprehensible.

And people may disagree. Maybe they'll look at this and say that Ergo Proxy is no deeper than Love Hina is. And you know what? I might think they're bollocks, but that doesn't mean we can't have a discussion on why he thinks Love Hina offers much more on a level of interpretation and deeper reading than something like EP does.

I'm right in the end, obviously (:P), but that's besides the point.
YudinaAug 31, 2016 6:12 PM
Aug 31, 2016 6:34 PM

Nov 2014
Yudina said:
Touniouk said:

You just repeated yourself.
So what if someone got more out of an anime than you did or than what the anime was saying? Why is it a bad thing?
Aug 31, 2016 6:39 PM

May 2016
Touniouk said:
Yudina said:

You just repeated yourself.
So what if someone got more out of an anime than you did or than what the anime was saying? Why is it a bad thing?
First of all, it's not a repetition. Point one refers to overestimating how much the anime is saying. Point two refers to potentially using something completely outside the bounds of the anime to draw a conclusion. They're different.

And you misunderstand. I'm not saying that it's not possible people got more out of something than I did. That's certainly possible. What I am arguing is that what's "bad" about reading too deeply into something is you're essentially analyzing something when that "something" simply isn't there; there isn't enough evidence for it, it's not strong enough evidence, etc. etc.

This isn't bad necessarily in the sense that someone's life is ruined, but in the natural order of discourse, I think it's fair to say that I don't think that when I talk to someone about Nodame Cantabile, I'd expect someone to say that it's a great homage to Beethoven's change to Romanticism in the second half of his life, that the show emblemizes the rise of the Russian concert and its nationalist passions and tendencies. The show is indeed about classical music, but I don't think anyone would make these claims with any sort of real interpretative strength.

This is obviously a slight exaggeration, of course, but it maintains my point that I think that what's wrong with too deeply reading into something is that you're essentially no longer watching the anime, but watching something that you want it to be, and I'd rather talk about something that exists rather than something someone spun out of thin air.
Aug 31, 2016 6:41 PM

Oct 2010
@Yudina I say that the phrase is condescending and self-centered because it observes reality under a single perspective you are assuming to be true without further explanation and contextualization. Arguments need to be answered with arguments, if I tell you that this porn movie has a meaning as a work of social commentary you will tell me that it doesn't and if I give you arguments for you'll give counterarguments. That's how discussions work. «You are reading too much» is not an argument. It is a conclusion. And answering a more or less elaborate text with a conclusion you could very well bring out of thin air is cheap, and if you expect the other person to acknowledge your point, futile and dishonest. Not to mention that what you refer to is more of «reading things that are not there» than «reading too much», but well, the same applies for both.

The talk about intentionality is fine, but the thing is that, unless specifically stated by the author, intentionality is left for interpretation because the audience does not get exposed directly to the author's idea but through their work. And many authors refuse to give a clear meaning to the works they make in order to, precisely, reinforce this aspect of personal interpretation. I said that spectators are individuals and each of them reads the work in a way or another. «You can have any interpretation you want» is picking what I said and dumbing it down to a level of absurd, considering that I never discussed the rightness of wrongness of such conclusions. Whether they are right or wrong should be discussed in the form of arguments and counterarguments, not taken for granted.
Aug 31, 2016 6:55 PM

May 2016
jal90 said:
@Yudina I say that the phrase is condescending and self-centered because it observes reality under a single perspective you are assuming to be true without further explanation and contextualization. Arguments need to be answered with arguments, if I tell you that this porn movie has a meaning as a work of social commentary you will tell me that it doesn't and if I give you arguments for you'll give counterarguments. That's how discussions work. «You are reading too much» is not an argument. It is a conclusion. And answering a more or less elaborate text with a conclusion you could very well bring out of thin air is cheap, and if you expect the other person to acknowledge your point, futile and dishonest. Not to mention that what you refer to is more of «reading things that are not there» than «reading too much», but well, the same applies for both.
I mean the question raised was whether people read too deeply into things. If you note from my stupidly long post, I offered examples and context, but as a more general and broad statement, I'm really not in a position to offer much argumentation in the form you're talking about. The reason, obviously, is because I'm not discussing whether someone, such as yourself or myself, is reading too deeply into something, but rather as a sort of general phenomenon, do I think people read too deeply into things.

I actually don't know what my precise take on things is, but I do know that plenty of people read too deeply into things that are unimportant and read too little into the things that are. That's my general observation that is really free from any one to one discussion with someone. It'd be much too tedious to actually list you the examples of everything I've seen where this has happened, and hence I have a general opinion on the matter.

jal90 said:
The talk about intentionality is fine, but the thing is that, unless specifically stated by the author, intentionality is left for interpretation because the audience does not get exposed directly to the author's idea but through their work. And many authors refuse to give a clear meaning to the works they make in order to, precisely, reinforce this aspect of personal interpretation. I said that spectators are individuals and each of them reads the work in a way or another. «You can have any interpretation you want» is picking what I said and dumbing it down to a level of absurd, considering that I never discussed the rightness of wrongness of such conclusions. Whether they are right or wrong should be discussed in the form of arguments and counterarguments, not taken for granted.
This is an unconvincing argument because even excluding the author's direct quotations I think a work in and of itself speaks with intention of its authorial context. I don't argue that this can be universally accepted or understood, but a work in the way it is presented will almost always draw a consensus of opinions as to whether or not a work should be taken seriously or not, if it should be subject to a deep reading or not. Of course everyone reads into something differently and has his or her own interpretation, but that's a given. No one person in the same, thus it follows that nobody's interpretation is ever truly the same.

But that does not, under any circumstance, remove the fact that the work in question is, in and of itself, a work with intentions, that it comes into being completely separate other people's interpretations.

To draw a sort of diagram:

People ---- Interpretation A ---- Work A \
People ---- Interpretation B ---- Work A - Intention
People ---- Interpretation C ---- Work A /

In other words, I believe Work A has an intention, not determined by people who had absolutely no commitment to the creation of the work, that is completely separate and otherwise unrelated to whatever interpretation people have.

That does not preclude the possibility for someone's interpretation to be correct, but it is crucial that we understand that a work does not exist within a vacuum. That is to say, that while the work exists for its audience, it comes into being with a particular intentionality to it, even if that intention is to be interpreted differently by different people. It is not something that one necessarily just "makes his own" but rather something that is interacted with, engaged with, and communicated with. The acting of reading is an engagement with the work, not the assimilation of the work into your own sort of internal philosophy or understanding.

I mean, from your profile, you seem very well in tuned with Miyazaki, so let me posit a question:

Do you not think that a Miyazaki film breathes Miyazaki? That there are idiosyncrasies, quirks, methods, or styles specifically pertaining that seems to permeate from the edge of the screen? I think these fundamental stylistic components are intrinsically linked to what we know as intention, that the work intends to be a certain way. One cannot look at a Miyazaki film and say that it is not Miyazaki, in other words.

Or a more poignant question. Let us assume that the creative team does not matter. Let us erase their names and talk about Princess Kaguya (which is a Ghibli film so this example makes a little more sense).

If we erase the name of the creators and blind tested people, and people came to us and said that Kaguya was likely a Miyazaki film, that the emotions, stylistic intensity, themes, and strength of female characters were all representative of Miyazaki and thus they are convinced that Miyazaki made this film, would they be right? As you said, everyone interprets in their own way, but here we have a case where people have interpreted the film to be of a particular author's origin, and yet objectively we know this to be false.

Under what circumstances should we brand this as just subjective interpretation or, as I would probably say, a wrong interpretation?
YudinaAug 31, 2016 7:08 PM
Aug 31, 2016 7:42 PM

Mar 2014
Yudina said:
merryfistmas said:
My argument concerns not what people feel from a show, but whether they read deeply into it or not. I won't deny it's subjective, but I think in general it's fairly easy to ascertain what's the purpose of something and use that to determine how far you should read into it. I don't deny that intentionality is always clear, but intention exists within the essence of a work itself, and often times it is not particularly difficult for us to evaluate.

And above all, I think intention is way more important than what people make it out to be.

I'll just work from the ground up as to sort of clarify what I mean. Note that the genres that I use do not reflect my beliefs in what can or cannot be "read deeply" in these genres but rather illustrate a sort of steady rise in the ladder based on what I see are some common place things in said genres.

Let's start with something completely base. Pornography. Why does porn exist? It's a sexual fantasy, designed to get people horny, so they jack off. Sounds simple enough. In that case, I would argue the vast majority of people who watch a porn scene should not be watching it for intellectual purposes, that is to say, looking at the size of the man's dick and trying to showcase how that represents male dominance, and the woman's submissiveness and ultimate powerlessness to control her body's feelings are representative of the patriarchy and its domination over the world of woman.

Clearly, there's no social commentary in most porn. It's essentially there for eroticism and self-indulgence.

Let's move up a notch. Let's look at ecchi anime, and I want to say that let's look at an anime that is likely clearly designed to be ecchi. In other words, let's not look at anime where there are obviously ecchi qualities. TTGL, KLK, Monogatari. These all have ecchi qualities, but I wouldn't say that they are representative of the type, but rather use elements for some other purpose. If we take an ecchi anime or manga off the street like....Love Hina.

I have nothing against the show. I'm sure it's fun, entertaining, whatever.

Here, I think the purpose of Love Hina seems relatively simple. You have a main protagonist, with a bunch of girls, and they find themselves in comedic situations and there's a nice romance and drama that plays around it.

Okay, that's great, but is this an instance where you want to be analyzing the particular colors of the girl's clothing to a crazy degree? Is there some sort of motif of depth that emerges of some great insignificance, such as important reoccurring dreams, the importance of a particular object, the intentional fixture of a particular setting, repeated words that have weighed significance?

I will grant you, maybe? Maybe if you look really hard, you can formulate an argument. But on the whole, I'm going to argue that you can't do this with shows of this nature precisely because they aren't designed for that purpose, and that's okay.

Let's talk about something else. Purely action/adventure stories. Let's use Code Geass as an example, because it's such a popular anime, everyone should likely have an understanding of it. Code Geass is entertaining, action packed, filled with a great ensemble of characters, and it's got the explosions necessary to set your pants on fire. Great.

But again, let's talk about reading deeply into it. Note that in this case we have sets of characters that we might deem to be "intelligent" actors, that is to say that they have agency and seem to make actions of significance so that we may identify nuances and particularities about them that might give us more insight.

How much can you read into a particular match, where Lelouche makes an infamously illegal move? How far can you read into the ending of the first season? Now here's where you can draw some sort of a theme, that is to say Lelouche's inability to control his power, the sort of preeminence of a greater power unable to be properly understood by man. Okay, I'll give you that there's something to be had there, but is there a great sort of build up and development of that theme? Is it a recurring factor that isn't necessarily just used for the sake of convenience and twisting the plot to ensure the maximum entertaining outcome?

This is something a bit more worth discussing, but for me it's clear here that even if there's an obvious theme, the exposition, development, and aspects of that theme are not at a point where I can say that it fulfills a great depth to it. For that reason alone, I'd say there's no need to read into it way too deeply.

Let's then talk about one of the Miyazaki movies. Spirited Away. Here's where we start seeing some more meat, some more nuance that I think is likely missing from the others whereas Miyazaki attempts a much more subtler approach that requires a sort of "deeper" reading if you will. There's great deal more symbolism, albeit fairly obvious ones. Pigs for gluttony. Water as cleansing but also as a representation of memory, longing, and distance (hence the Sixth Station). The scene at the end, a flash of Chihiro's band, is of a much subtler detail that allows us to read more deeply into why Miyazaki emphasized that scene at a moment that is otherwise not particularly filled with substance.

So at this point, I think it's clear that we've approached a film that is much more open to interpretation and likely gives a much better platform to a deeper reading than others.

But I don't think we're done. Let's look at Ergo Proxy.

I'm going to use Ophelia as an example, because it demonstrates the difference in deep readings and cursory ones. Here we have an episode that's essentially almost all representational, and almost certainly requires a deep reading in order to understand. Re-Il's posture in the center of the episode recalls the famous painting of Ophelia by Sir John Everett Millais. Ophelia represents many things in Shakespeare's Hamlet, but for the purposes of the episode, we remember her loneliness, rejection, and abandonment by Hamlet, a man, which corresponds to the doppelganger's isolation, rejection, and abandonment by not a man, but man himself.

The water is not just a simple representation of purity, cleansing, and nostalgia, but more deeply (in my opinion), a mirror which reflects a representation of ourselves: hence Vincent's constant inability to recognize the real from the surreal, as his placement within the pool of water forces him to confront the mirror, the representational, and himself, much like how he is initially incapable of seeing the real Re-il, but mistakes the doppelganger for her.

There's so much more I can talk about this episode (in fact I'm quite certain a ten page paper could easily be written on just how good Ophelia is), but I hope I've made my point.

I don't think I'm being too crazy here when I say that there is a very clear hierarchy, where certain series, precisely because of how they are made, lend themselves to deeper reading and deeper interpretations. That does not mean that one series is better than another because it affords itself to deeper reading. It could mean that, since I sort of think that, but that's not necessarily the case.

The point is that I do think people read too much into things. I don't as @jal90 seems to think, that it's condescending at all, but rather a rational decision that people make when they watch something. It doesn't have to be consistent across everybody, but nobody looks at every series and says "you can literally interpret all of this however you want." If that was actually the case, there'd be no meaning behind postmodernism, no meaning behind surrealism, no meaning behind romanticism, and no meaning behind the bizarre, which are all designed to stretch our interpretative forces beyond what is normal, and beyond what we normally understand, and to create from the classical understanding of the story as being very delineated, orderly, and properly sign posted, to something that is much more interpretative, difficult to grasp, and not entirely comprehensible.

And people may disagree. Maybe they'll look at this and say that Ergo Proxy is no deeper than Love Hina is. And you know what? I might think they're bollocks, but that doesn't mean we can't have a discussion on why he thinks Love Hina offers much more on a level of interpretation and deeper reading than something like EP does.

I'm right in the end, obviously (:P), but that's besides the point.
This makes more sense, but still has problems. If you argue that X ecchi/comedy show has more depth than Ergo Proxy or SEL I'll probably think your opinion is ridiculous, but I'll have to listen to why you think so in order to come to that conclusion, and who know, it might be based on something reasonable. This is the kind of thing you have to take on a case by case basis. But people typically don't argue that these shows are deep, this is all hypothetical, so I agree with jal90 because with very few exceptions (so few I can't even think of any) people tend to have the same understanding of your first three examples and even when they find something "deep" it's usually based on something within the show, but they often insult each other over the latter two. When it comes to shows that seem to have depth, there are always plenty of people ready to call anyone who thinks they do have depth pretentious (and the reverse is true as well).

Most people understand what Death Note (I'm replacing Code Geass because I've never seen it) is about, even though it's debatable how deep or intelligent it is, people don't have widely varying opinions on their content in a way they might about Texhnolyze of SEL.

The more contentious examples are the ones I think are worth talking about here. Shows like Bakemonogatari where there are people who think they're nothing more than pretty colors and tits as well as those who see symbolism and themes everywhere. I've heard people say Tex is artsy for the sake of being artsy with no depth and people who think it's the most intelligent show ever made. Telling somebody that didn't find value in Tex that they weren't watching it the "right way" is condescending because art doesn't have objective value. NGE isn't objectively about depression or anything else, it's about those themes because people watch it and think it did a good job of portraying them.

Also, I think you're overvaluing authorial intent. If an anime is created and the majority of the people who watch it think it's about the same theme, and it's something the author never intended, how can you say it isn't about that theme? Value only exists in the mind after all, and the viewers determine the value of a work, not the author. On the flip side, if a creator makes an anime intending to implement a theme and nobody picks up on it, then they failed. Intent does not exists within art, only within the author.

EDIT: I see he already answered.
merryfistmasAug 31, 2016 7:45 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 2 hours ago

7 by Lucifrost »»
4 minutes ago

» Anilist is better ( 1 2 3 4 )

SleepySimoon - Oct 28, 2021

177 by Ari4 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

148 by Ten »»
6 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 4 hours ago

19 by Lucifrost »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by BlueBullet178 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.