Forum Settings
Forums

Additional Staff and Cast Members Announced for 'Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai'

New
Aug 26, 2016 4:03 PM

Nov 2007
The official website for Shaft's upcoming OVA project Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai has announced additional cast and staff members, along with the theme songs and their performers.

Cast
Akane: Yuu Shimamura (Bungou Stray Dogs)
Kanami: Ayako Kawasumi (Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works)
Sakaki: Kenji Hamada (ef: A Tale of Melodies.)
Maki: Aya Endou (So Ra No Wo To)
Yayoi: Haruna Ikezawa (Kimikiss Pure Rouge)
Iria: Mariya Ise (Hunter x Hunter (2011))
Rei: Houko Kuwashima (Hakuouki)
Akari: Natsuko Kuwatani (Mahou Sensei Negima!)
Hikari: Ryouko Shintani (Hidamari Sketch)
Teruko: Yuuko Gotou (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu)
Aikawa: Yuuko Kaida (Ikkitousen)

Staff
Chief Director: Akiyuki Shinbou (Bakemonogatari)
Director: Yuki Yase (Mekaku City Actors)
Series Composition: Fuyashi Tou (Koyomimonogatari)
Script: Yukito Kizawa (Tsukimonogatari)
Animation Director: Hirofumi Suzuki (Colorful)
Art Director: Ken Naitou (Hanamonogatari)
Art Setting: Morihito Ohara (Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica)
Storyboard: okama (Getsumen To Heiki Mina)
Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (Owarimonogatari)
Director of Photography: Rei Egami (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)
Color Design: Yasuko Watanabe (Nisekoi), Jin Hibino (Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru)
Editing: Rie Matsubara (Sakamoto desu ga?)

Opening Theme Song: "Cobalt World" by Sangatsu no Phantasia
Ending Theme Song: "Märchen" by Kalafina

The OVA series will consist of eight episodes, with the first episode to be released on October 26, 2016.

PV

Note: The video is region-locked; click here for an alternative link.

Source: Nijipoi
tsubasaloverAug 27, 2016 1:18 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 26, 2016 4:07 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I'm so hyped for this since Nisio is my favorite author and I love all his works that's been made into an anime so far.

I wish I could buy the novels but seeing as there's only two that were officially translated and the first book is pretty rare, it looks like I'm gonna have to wait.
Aug 26, 2016 4:20 PM

Feb 2012
Chief Director: Akiyuki Shinbou

Good ol' Shinbo slithering into every show like a shake he is.
Aug 26, 2016 4:23 PM

Nov 2011
Should be good. Personally, I'm interested in the Zaregoto novels so going to see how they will adapt this.
Aug 26, 2016 4:25 PM

Apr 2015
So Dear LN readers, disappointed with the character designs or are these good enough despite being different from LN?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2016 4:27 PM

Jan 2008
I've been waiting years and years for a Zaregoto adaptation.

I'm happy with an OVA.

Also.

HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK, FINALLY, ZAREGOTO, OH GOD YES.
Aug 26, 2016 4:30 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
@tsubasalover, Morihito Ohara (Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) should be credited for Art Setting. (Source: Official site)

The project staff looks decent, except I didn't exactly want Yuki Yase to handle this one. Hopefully they'll manage though.

Aug 26, 2016 4:35 PM

Nov 2007
@Vindstot
Updated the list. Thank you.
Aug 26, 2016 4:40 PM

Aug 2013
CG-Silver said:
So Dear LN readers, disappointed with the character designs or are these good enough despite being different from LN?

Take's art in Zaregoto is stunning, so I was really disappointed with the gatari-like designs to be honest.
but at the end I at least hope it's gonna be good adaptation wise.
the staff isn't satisfying imo but I have faith in shaft.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2016 4:55 PM

May 2014
@tsubasalover Yuki Yase never directed Monogatari Series Second Season only storyboarded a few episodes, should list him rather with Mekaku City Actors which he actually directed for accuracy (as other roles were as episode director).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway great staff overall, a lot of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica staff members involved on the art and sound/music side of things, which is great to see. Looking forward to some more SHAFT creativity.
Aug 26, 2016 4:57 PM

Apr 2014

Cant believe there are people crying about the art style muh Take. Do you read the novel or you just look at illustrations. Look at 1 comparison and you can tell its very similar.

There are plenty more similarities with other characters. Don't let ppl who haven't read the novel fool you.
Aug 26, 2016 4:58 PM

Aug 2013
Vindstot said:
@tsubasalover, Morihito Ohara (Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) should be credited for Art Setting. (Source: Official site)

The project staff looks decent, except I didn't exactly want Yuki Yase to handle this one. Hopefully they'll manage though.

he got some good episodes as director, I don't think he got to be the first one to blame for what's Mekakucity Actors has turn out to be.
what I'm afraid of is the production value they're willing to put for the OVA.

moodie said:

Cant believe there are people crying about the art style muh Take. Do you read the novel or you just look at illustrations. Look at 1 comparison and you can tell its very similar.

There are plenty more similarities with other characters. Don't let ppl who haven't read the novel fool you.

I can't believe that's some people are having issues with other people's dissatisfaction about the art stile.
dude chill, they are good but not that's good for me and others that's all.
monaliAug 26, 2016 5:09 PM
Aug 26, 2016 5:10 PM

Apr 2014
@monali I wasnt even talking about you. I posted this 6 hours ago here http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=3858409.msg377364913#msg377364913

And for the discussion at hand. Its fine if you dont like it but its more similar to Take than what any other studio would have done.
Aug 26, 2016 5:16 PM

Apr 2014
moodie said:

You're the resident Shaft fanboy, right?
I remember you saying that Shaft is the only studio which faithfully adapts character designs (which is total bullshit by the way), and when they actually don't you go in full damage control mode. Gotta love it.
Aug 26, 2016 5:18 PM

Apr 2014
Hongu said:
moodie said:

You're the resident Shaft fanboy, right?
I remember you saying that Shaft is the only studio which faithfully adapts character designs (which is total bullshit by the way), and when they actually don't you go in full damage control mode. Gotta love it.
Looks extremely faithful to me.
Aug 26, 2016 5:20 PM

Aug 2013
moodie said:
@monali I wasnt even talking about you. I posted this 6 hours ago here http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=3858409.msg377364913#msg377364913

And for the discussion at hand. Its fine if you dont like it but its more similar to Take than what any other studio would have done.

but I'm still included in your little criticism, that's why.
and I think katanagatari make your last point false.
I'm glad they nailed the design for you, but I think they could do a better job.
Aug 26, 2016 5:27 PM

Apr 2014
monali said:
moodie said:

I'm glad they nailed the design for you, but I think they could do a better job.
Sorry I dont want to be rude but I literally didnt even read what you posted when I posted here.

Its not that they nailed it for me. Its objectively similar.
Aug 26, 2016 5:38 PM

Aug 2013
moodie said:
monali said:

Sorry I dont want to be rude but I literally didnt even read what you posted when I posted here.

dude you're included me in your little criticism,that's all I care about.
and rude for what?? because you didn't read my post and here I am arguing with you,seriously that's fine by me you know.
any way I'm happy they objectively nailed the design for you.
Aug 26, 2016 5:42 PM

Apr 2014
monali said:
moodie said:

and rude for what?? because you didn't read my post and here I am arguing with you,seriously that's fine by me you know.
Nah it isnt for me. Its for the world. But look you wasting both our times, mostly mine.

If you dont like it thats fine. As a person who has the first 2 copies and read the rest online I am excited.

Dont quote me unless its relevant.
Aug 26, 2016 5:55 PM

Aug 2013
moodie said:
monali said:

Nah it isnt for me. Its for the world. But look you wasting both our times, mostly mine.

If you dont like it thats fine. As a person who has the first 2 copies and read the rest online I am excited.

LOOOOL.
seriously you have to do something about your communication attitude.
No one wasting your time except yourself, I'm not forcing you to reply okay.
And I'm really sorry for taking you seriously.
Aug 26, 2016 5:58 PM
Aug 2011
monali said:
LOOOOL.

Just wait for the PV.
Like when Oregairu 2 character designs looked kind of shitty but once people saw in motion it was alright.

Of course we need to see the fludity of the animation first.
standAug 26, 2016 6:05 PM
Aug 26, 2016 6:04 PM

Apr 2014
monali said:
moodie said:

LOOOOL.
My man all I ask is for a relevant response about the anime rather than this back and forth.

If you want to engage in actual discussion present points. If you just want to throw ad hominems then go somewhere else. I've watched almost everything Shaft has animated so yes I understand how great they are. So when I see these faithful adapted character design as models I know that when its in motion as a high quality OVA it will look great.

What do you want from me? If you want a "serious" discussion ill give you that but if you want to feel like a victim then get mad when i dont want to deal with you i wont have it.

What do you want? Because ive been on /a/ and twitter talking about this all day and i can keep talking about it.
Aug 26, 2016 6:22 PM

Oct 2012
I'm itching to see how these designs will look in motion, the newly released designs today are much better than the Key Visual. I'm not too familiar with Yuki Yase's stuff, so I'm in for a surprise here. Really though, I just wanna see that PV, along with 3-gatsu's.
Aug 26, 2016 6:23 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Just want to point out that the toning of character designs are still under development, as stated at the bottom of the cast page on the official site. The coloring in the actual content may very well differ, which is likely.

In regards to the designs, they're at least not Akio Watanabe's typical products and seem to sort of try and reproduce Take's original style. It's understandable why many people would want to see Katanagatari-esque designs, but Monogatari Series did fairly well and they didn't quite follow VOFAN's original designs either.

Aug 26, 2016 6:23 PM

Aug 2013
moodie said:
monali said:

LOOOOL.
My man all I ask is for a relevant response about the anime rather than this back and forth.

If you want to engage in actual discussion present points. If you just want to throw ad hominems then go somewhere else. I've watched almost everything Shaft has animated so yes I understand how great they are. So when I see these faithful adapted character design as models I know that when its in motion as a high quality OVA it will look great.

What do you want from me? If you want a "serious" discussion ill give you that but if you want to feel like a victim then get mad when i dont want to deal with you i wont have it.

What do you want? Because ive been on /a/ and twitter talking about this all day and i can keep talking about it.

My little remark about katanagatari in the first reply???
You have some serious problems flowing what people saying aren't you.
Pay attention to people replies next time.
Aug 26, 2016 6:29 PM

Apr 2014
@monali Ok we will talk about your first post.

Take's art in Zaregoto is stunning, so I was really disappointed with the gatari-like designs to be honest.

When it comes to that, I personally dont think that Take's art is that great. I can understand why people will think its unique and creative but hey even Japan had an issue with it. Im just using them as evidence because at the end of the day Japan is the one supporting their industry not us. So I believe if they went 1:1 with Take again they would face the same backlash. So I addressed your point with Katana.

You know you can have a discussion without being passive aggressive right? Ive been fair and nice to you this whole time.
moodieAug 26, 2016 6:34 PM
Aug 26, 2016 8:11 PM

May 2013

tilthead again. iican voice, uhm, normal? futsu?
megmicaAug 26, 2016 8:16 PM
Aug 26, 2016 8:22 PM
Dec 2008
The novels were amazing... hopefully the animated version meets the expectation
Aug 26, 2016 8:22 PM

Apr 2014
Very creepy tone and the direction looks great. Surprisingly even with Akio's design in motion it still keeps its charm without looking Gatari-like.

Now im really excited for the first OVA.
Aug 26, 2016 8:24 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
@megmica Can't see the video. Is there one that's not region locked, maybe on Dailymotion?
Aug 26, 2016 8:27 PM

Apr 2014
megmica said:

tilthead again. iican voice, uhm, normal? futsu?
It's even worse than I thought, oh man. Literally everyone looks like a recolored Monogatari character.
They even forced in the head tilt too...

Aug 26, 2016 8:32 PM

Apr 2014
>when head tilts are your complaints lol
Aug 26, 2016 8:37 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Hongu said:
It's even worse than I thought, oh man. Literally everyone looks like a recolored Monogatari character.

Aren't head tilts SHAFT's signature thing?
Aug 26, 2016 8:42 PM

Apr 2014
moodie said:
Everyone looks like a Monogatari character. The lighting, atmosphere, direction, everything is literally Monogatari, it's no even like this is a different series at all. Shinbo proving once again that he cannot help himself in self-indulgence, his style is cookie cutter and boring at this point. It's as if he feels the need to shove in the fact that 'hey, I'm the Shaft guy! Here's a headtilt!' every ten seconds.
The music sounds like every Yuki Kajiura song ever. (I'm assuming it's her)
It's split into 8 monthly OVAs for some reason. All those episodes and it's only adapting the first novel.
Did I mention everything looks trite? Because it does.

Oh yeah, and Yuki Kaji.
Aug 26, 2016 8:43 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Hongu said:

There are quite a few head tilts in the novel too, so I wouldn't really say they're forced just by looking at a single shot from the PV. Unless they really go overboard with it in the episodes, that'd be a different matter.

Aug 26, 2016 8:49 PM

Apr 2014
Hongu said:
moodie said:
Everyone looks like a Monogatari character. The lighting, atmosphere, direction, everything is literally Monogatari, it's no even like this is a different series at all. Shinbo proving once again that he cannot help himself in self-indulgence, his style is cookie cutter and boring at this point. It's as if he feels the need to shove in the fact that 'hey, I'm the Shaft guy! Here's a headtilt!' every ten seconds.
It's split into 8 monthly OVAs for some reason. All those episodes and it's only adapting the first novel.

Oh yeah, and Yuki Kaji.
They dont look like monogatari characters they look like Akio characters. Which we already expected after the key visual and after seeing the character designs a couple hours ago.

Shinbo hasnt directed anything in years so please get educated on the industry because that claim is utterly dumb.

How is 8 monthly OVAs a bad thing? You rather have a rushed LN adaption go to the news thread and pick a new seasonal anime to watch.
Aug 26, 2016 8:51 PM

Aug 2014
AntwanMantilla said:
@megmica Can't see the video. Is there one that's not region locked, maybe on Dailymotion?

Here's a link : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4qiylh_zaregoto-series-ova-vol-1-pv_fun
Aug 26, 2016 8:53 PM

Nov 2007
Dylan21 said:
@tsubasalover Yuki Yase never directed Monogatari Series Second Season only storyboarded a few episodes, should list him rather with Mekaku City Actors which he actually directed for accuracy (as other roles were as episode director).
What does " Episode Director" mean, then? Didn't he do some kind of director?

Anyways, I will fix that anyways.
Aug 26, 2016 8:56 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Kryptiq said:
AntwanMantilla said:

Here's a link : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4qiylh_zaregoto-series-ova-vol-1-pv_fun

Thanks for the link. It looks really good and I'm excited for this.
Aug 26, 2016 8:57 PM

Apr 2014
moodie said:
Hongu said:

Oh yeah, and Yuki Kaji.
They dont look like monogatari characters they look like Akio characters. Which we already expected after the key visual and after seeing the character designs a couple hours ago.

Shinbo hasnt directed anything in years so please get educated on the industry because that claim is utterly dumb.

How is 8 monthly OVAs a bad thing? You rather have a rushed LN adaption go to the news thread and pick a new seasonal anime to watch.
Weren't you the person who kept saying how the designs are faithful to the original? Yet here you are admitting that they're nothing more than Akio Watanabe characters. Nice.
And yeah, apparently I don't know how the industry works, because if someone's name is said to be a director then I expect them to be directing. And even if it isn't Shinbo it's one hell of a copycat. The director could have gone and used his own style but all he did was just rip off someone else's.
Of course I don't want a rushed adaptation, but to wait almost an entire year for 8 episodes, of which none probably will be Katanagatari's length and instead be a normal TV anime's length, is frustrating.
Aug 26, 2016 9:08 PM

Apr 2014
Hongu said:
moodie said:

Weren't you the person who kept saying how the designs are faithful to the original? Yet here you are admitting that they're nothing more than Akio Watanabe characters. Nice.
And yeah, apparently I don't know how the industry works, because if someone's name is said to be a director then I expect them to be directing. And even if it isn't Shinbo it's one hell of a copycat. The director could have gone and used his own style but all he did was just rip off someone else's.
Of course I don't want a rushed adaptation, but to wait almost an entire year for 8 episodes, of which none probably will be Katanagatari's length and instead be a normal TV anime's length, is frustrating.
You love twisting my words right? Akio's design is similar to Take's new designs for Zaregoto. My man have you picked up the novel or are you trying to be a cute troll.

If you are so frustrated dont watch it no one putting a gun to your head. Shinbo is the chief director while the actually director is Yase.

In anime the director isnt the end all be all anyways there are people who do storyboard, episode direction, art directors and ect.

Im not trying to force you to like this but for me I think this is a great representation of zaregoto in visual form.
Aug 26, 2016 9:42 PM

Apr 2015
I love Zaregoto a lot but I know shaft doing a mystery show with Shinbo directing it will be the most confusing shit ever.

Art style was adapted alright. No real complaints except for the colour palette being really bright.

Don't mind the VAs. Yuki Kajiura hype!

Why is it in OVA format over a year period? For fuck sake, they know this'll sell cus shaft and same author as the already popular Monogatari so I don't see the point in a year release. Sellouts.

JkayWAug 26, 2016 9:45 PM
Aug 26, 2016 10:02 PM
Jul 2018
This looks pretty interesting for me, the selection staff wise looks pretty good imo.
Aug 26, 2016 10:20 PM

Apr 2014
JkayW said:
I love Zaregoto a lot but I know shaft doing a mystery show with Shinbo directing it will be the most confusing shit ever.

Art style was adapted alright. No real complaints except for the colour palette being really bright.

Why is it in OVA format over a year period? For fuck sake, they know this'll sell cus shaft and same author as the already popular Monogatari so I don't see the point in a year release. Sellouts.

Katanagatari came a year after Bake. It was by your logic supposed to sell cuz hey its Nisio right? It sold less than 10k compared to bake selling 100k.

Shaft isnt a sure hit, no studio is.
moodieAug 26, 2016 10:25 PM
Aug 27, 2016 12:54 AM

Feb 2015
Chief Director: Akiyuki Shinbou (Bakemonogatari)
Director: Yuki Yase (Mekaku City Actors)
Series Composition: Fuyashi Tou (Koyomimonogatari)
Script: Yukito Kizawa (Tsukimonogatari)
Art Director: Ken Naitou (Hanamonogatari)
Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka (Owarimonogatari)
Director of Photography: Rei Egami (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)
Color Design: Yasuko Watanabe (Nisekoi), Jin Hibino (Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru)

Shaf is fucking go all out with this anime i think.
looking foward to it.
Aug 27, 2016 1:12 AM

May 2014
tsubasalover said:
Dylan21 said:
What does " Episode Director" mean, then? Didn't he do some kind of director?

Anyways, I will fix that anyways.

Would take a bit to explain (can read here if you want for a full explantion: http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/the-anime-production-line) but basically the director is charge of the series as a whole and is higher in hierachy than an episode director. Also best to list what he directed as don't say which episodes he did in the forum post (although could check by clicking his name).
Aug 27, 2016 1:15 AM

Nov 2007
Dylan21 said:
Would take a bit to explain (can read here if you want for a full explantion: http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/the-anime-production-line) but basically the director is charge of the series as a whole and is higher in hierachy than an episode director. Also best to list what he directed as don't say which episodes he did in the forum post (although could check by clicking his name).
Ok, thank you for explaining.
Aug 27, 2016 1:48 AM

Apr 2014
moodie said:
JkayW said:

Katanagatari came a year after Bake. It was by your logic supposed to sell cuz hey its Nisio right? It sold less than 10k compared to bake selling 100k.

Shaft isnt a sure hit, no studio is.

If you're counting the re-release for Bakemonogatari than yeah Katanagatari did sell over 10k.
Aug 27, 2016 2:04 AM

Jul 2007
Would still have loved the art to be closer to Katanagatari(its a bit too monogatari here tbh), but still looks great.

Talking about prod staff,

Shinbou is good but he most likely is just a name there. Still hoping he is somehow involved with Fate/Extra adaptation.
Yuki Yase did direct some great episodes of both madoka and gatari, if to ignore the mekaku nonsense.
Ken Naitou is responsible for Hanamonogatari's art direction which was fucking best.

Let's see which animators they are going to use for this tho.
AhenshihaelAug 27, 2016 2:10 AM
Aug 27, 2016 2:38 AM

Jul 2015
I like the music a lot but the visuals look boring tbh.

The quick shot with the crows really gave me -gatari vibes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
1 hour ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.