Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2015 2:08 PM

May 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Quite the second movie! While also more or less a recap movie of the main serie, I m still more than happy that the same quality of the main story got into this it, just like the first movie which was also very excellent!

I did like the changes they brought to this movie compared to the series which still continues after this part but it sure was great.

I'm definitely interesting now to see what the third season will offer us of Uchuu Senkan Yamato and how eventually this epic story will come to an end.
RafaelDeJonghAug 20, 2015 2:12 PM
Jun 18, 2016 6:37 PM

Jun 2012
Should I watch both the second season and this film? Is there enough difference between the 2 or do they recycle most of the animation and plot in both? (in which case, I should only see season 2)
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Aug 25, 2016 7:21 PM

Oct 2010
WOW two posts ever, it's like we're in the void between galaxies out here :O

RafaelDeJongh said:
Quite the second movie! While also more or less a recap movie of the main serie, I m still more than happy that the same quality of the main story got into this it, just like the first movie which was also very excellent!

As you may have learned since, this movie came out *before* season 2 of the show. The movie was supposed to be the end of the franchise, but apparently its ending caused a massive outcry that resulted in more of the show being produced, with a different outcome.

DarkMind said:
Should I watch both the second season and this film? Is there enough difference between the 2 or do they recycle most of the animation and plot in both? (in which case, I should only see season 2)

I watched the film first because I wanted to go through the franchise the same way its original fans did. I normally don't watch "recap movies" at all. You could just watch the last 30 or 45 minutes of this after watching series 2, if you don't want to invest two and a half hours.

Wait a minute... you rated the original show 4/10. PERRRKELE
Aug 26, 2016 4:35 AM

Jun 2012
nDroae said:

DarkMind said:

I watched the film first because I wanted to go through the franchise the same way its original fans did. I normally don't watch "recap movies" at all. You could just watch the last 30 or 45 minutes of this after watching series 2, if you don't want to invest two and a half hours.

Wait a minute... you rated the original show 4/10. PERRRKELE

Nonono. Ignore that score. It's on my plan to watch list so I use "scores" to indicate their priority. But thanks. I may do what you told.
Aug 26, 2016 5:36 AM

May 2012
[quote=DarkMind message=47503264]
nDroae said:

Nonono. Ignore that score. It's on my plan to watch list so I use "scores" to indicate their priority. But thanks. I may do what you told.

Why don't you use the priority levels then?
Oct 23, 2016 4:35 PM

Jun 2012
Because there were too few of them.
Feb 12, 2017 5:02 AM

Dec 2015
Even with the movie's title "Saraba Yamato", I didn't come thinking I would see all of what happened on my screen (only the ship's sacrifice). About screen, I regret watching this big show on a handheld screen, the movie was certainly worth my cathodic monitor.

After a doubtful introduction desperately trying to hammer a sense of fear in you (the comet with organ BGM), you could suspect it to be a bad movie. But...
This was such an epic space-opera. It maintained some typical Yamato thrilling moments while succeeding in being more emotional than the first story, helped by an even better soundtrack (great organ theme for the White Comet Empire). A few incoherencies with the previous Yamato might hurt but I guess things like Desler breathing in other species atmospheres was choosed because wearing a space suit would reduced his aura.
The slightly less rough art and good mecha-design might be the results of its theatrical nature but it was poorly animated for a movie, it even suffers from the TV show's problem: bad continuity (to a lesser extent, though). A chance the direction is there to make up.
Finally, it was a bit too long. (I'm sure the same result would have been achieved with 20-30less minutes, giving more time to work on other scenes too)

Enjoyment: 5/5
Score: 8/10 It could have been great (9) without those problems who don't suit a cinema release.

Now, I am fearing that the replacement series and its endless follow-ups will seem tasteless compared to this finale.

@nDroae When I was a child reading magazines, the part of the franchise I constantly read as being praised was the second movie.
Rei_IIIMar 4, 2019 12:36 PM
Dec 18, 2017 12:21 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
rvbrick said:
Rei366 said:

Now, I am fearing that the replacement series and its endless follow-ups will seem tasteless compared to this finale.

And now I'm in this position.

I started this movie thinking it'd be little more than a curious footnote since no one ever talks about it, and it was rendered non canonical only a short time after it came out, by a TV series followup to the original.

Now it's my favorite Leiji Matsumoto anime ever. It's an incredible conclusion and a very logical progression of the themes of humanity's struggle and hope even in the bleakest situations as seen in the original series. So what incentive is there for me to watch 52 more episodes of this, when I've already seen a perfect conclusion for the original story?

I'm sure I'll watch the other movies, but the chances of me watching the two sequel TV series are slim to none.

You sum up my feelings exactly. I did not expect this amazing and poignant finale. Whatever they retconned after this must feel like an exercise in shallowness and/or futility.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 26, 2018 3:46 PM

Oct 2010
I was pretty disappointed with the Yamato 2 series, after watching this amazing film. It adds to the crew an annoying aggressive jock (Saito) who ignores orders, is repeatedly allowed to get into fistfights with Captain Kodai, and gets much too much screentime. And the fascination with Tragic Space Ladies plays out agonizingly; the new one is fated to die... no she isn't... yes she is... no she isn't....

Despite that I read that Yamato 2 is regarded as the best part of the franchise by many fans, which I find incredible in comparison to both the original series and this film.

My last post was based on this, which cites a source which no longer exists:
http://yamato.wikia.com/wiki/Farewell_to_Space_Battleship_Yamato

"A massive fan outcry to the film convinced the show's creators to make a second season of the TV series based on the film, but with a much different ending. As such, the events of Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato are now considered to be an alternate storyline altogether and is no longer regarded as official canon."

However, I was just contradicted after referring to that on ANN: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5066314#5066314

ValkyrieZeroZeroOne said:
Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato is not a retconned movie version of the Comet Empire War. Both the movie and TV series versions were worked on in parallel. Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato opened in cinemas on August 5, 1978, while Yamato 2 premiered on Japanese television on October 14, 1978. Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato wound up its cinema run on October 27, the day before the third episode of the TV series aired.
May 26, 2019 6:15 PM

Oct 2012
Damn. At first the dated production values turned me off from seeing this all the way through (I love retro shows but this one is really out there - reused frames, limited motion, really bland dialogue at times...) but I'm glad I got through this one. As you guys before me have said, the plot was pretty impactful and the ending was spectacular. I love when we get ballsy endings like tht... the last one I saw was in the Baldios movie... maybe that's a product of this era?

Super excited to see the rest of the Yamato movies now. I started them just to get to Final Yamato (I can't call myself a retro mecha nerd without having seen the longest mecha film ever!!) But now I'm sure they'll all have their own weight in merit!

The scene that stuck out to me the most was the ground infiltration / frontline battle when Kodai and his crew were looking for Teresa in the hollow planet. When that unnamed grunt just barely beat his alien enemy and seemed to kill him after a moment of regret... and the camera zooms out to show a dead wasteland around him... man, that was incredible. Tiny moments like those can elevate the power of an entire feature. Sasuga Matsumoto...
Jul 30, 2021 7:56 AM

Nov 2015
eh, some awkward pauses here and there but enjoyable anyways. i still don't understand why kodai decided what he decided though :/ becoming a strange ghost story at the end? 8/10.

đź’˘

Oct 9, 2021 3:54 AM

Apr 2019
This movie was better than I thought it would be, it only gets better as the story goes on. I very liked this movie.

https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=420293
ProxyLainOct 9, 2021 4:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.