*2. 2,971 **2,971 Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Vol.6
*3. 1,721 **1,721 Sansha Sanyou Vol.3
*4. 1,700 **1,700 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.3
*5. 1,590 **1,590 Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation Vol.6 Limited Edition
*6. 1,111 **1,111 Dagashi Kashi Vol.6 Limited Edition
*7. 1,100 *40,932 Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen Limited Edition
*8. *,906 ***,906 Super Lovers Vol.3 Limited Edition
*9. *,761 *19,268 Kidou Senshi Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky
10. *,719 ***,719 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren Blu-ray BOX Limited Edition

11. *,569 *18,604 Persona 3 the Movie 4: Winter of Rebirth Limited Edition
12. *,529 ***,529 Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation Vol.6
13. *,522 *38,733 Boruto: Naruto the Movie Limited Edition
14. *,520 196,493 Girls und Panzer der Film Special Limited Edition
15. *,437 *17,333 High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days Limited Edition
(cut-off 437)

DVD
*1. 4,605 **4,605 Haikyuu!! Second Season Vol.8
*2. 2,764 **2,764 Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation Vol.6
*3. 2,151 *55,152 Youkai Watch Movie 2: Enma Daiou to Itsutsu no Monogatari da Nyan! Special Price Edition
*4. 1,902 **6,187 Doraemon Movie 36: Shin Nobita no Nippon Tanjou
*5. 1,184 **1,184 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.3
*6. 1,174 **1,174 Diamond no Ace: Second Season Vol.6
*7. *,994 *67,333 Tonari no Totoro
*8. *,915 ***,915 Super Lovers Vol.3 Limited Edition
*9. *,791 ***,791 Chibi Maruko-chan Movie: Italia kara Kita Shounen
10. *,617 *33,242 Boruto: Naruto the Movie Limited Edition

11. *,466 ***,466 Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation Vol.6 Limited Edition
12. *,410 *33,555 Majo no Takkyuubin
13. *,397 *21,529 Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
14. *,396 *11,828 High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days Limited Edition
15. *,389 ***,389 Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Vol.6
16. *,386 **2,089 Doraemon Movie 27: Nobita no Shin Makai Daibouken - 7-nin no Mahou Tsukai Super Price Edition
17. *,385 *22,949 Osomatsu-san Vol.7 Limited Edition
18. *,379 **1,589 Meiji Tokyo Renka Movie: Hanakagami no Fantasia
19. *,369 *10,268 Mononoke Hime
20. *,353 **5,695 Kidou Senshi Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky

21. *,351 **5,030 Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen
22. *,303 **6,875 Boruto: Naruto the Movie
23. *,290 ***,290 Mahoutsukai Precure! Vol.3
24. *,276 *23,436 Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa
(cut-off 276)

Source: Oricon Youtaiju

← Previous Week
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 23, 2016 3:48 AM
May 2013
lol....Sansha Sanyou Vol 3 sold better that Hero Academia Vol 3 ..even though its only by 21.. wasn't expecting that...
Aug 23, 2016 3:59 AM

Aug 2012
Kin088 said:
lol....Sansha Sanyou Vol 3 sold better that Hero Academia Vol 3 ..even though its only by 21.. wasn't expecting that...

You need to look at the DVD sales as well.
.................................................................................
Aug 23, 2016 4:40 AM

Nov 2014
The kizu blu-ray sold more than last week, That's odd.
Aug 23, 2016 5:23 AM

Jun 2012
Sansha Sanjou is really popular, i guess 2nd season is almost certain, they have lots of material to use already, since manga started in 2003, and is still going.
Aug 23, 2016 5:46 AM

Sep 2012
Voidd said:
Almost 50K total now! Not as good as it would have been if they'd released it years ago as they'd originally planned but still, not bad. We need them to finish the movies, Final Season and Off Season. Just have to hope it continues selling enough for Aniplex and Kodansha to keep paying Shaft to animate it.
Aug 23, 2016 6:16 AM

Nov 2011
Kidou Senshi Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky almost 20k...interesting.
Aug 23, 2016 6:47 AM

Dec 2013
Nice to see Haikyuu being on top again.
Aug 23, 2016 7:24 AM

May 2016
No Re:Zero this week.

Should be in the extended rankings however.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Aug 23, 2016 7:52 AM

Sep 2013
Hopefully other areas of sales are good enough for sequels.

*3. 1,721 **1,721 Sansha Sanyou Vol.3
*6. 1,111 **1,111 Dagashi Kashi Vol.6 Limited Edition
Aug 23, 2016 8:18 AM

Apr 2014
hpulley said:
Voidd said:
Almost 50K total now! Not as good as it would have been if they'd released it years ago as they'd originally planned but still, not bad. We need them to finish the movies, Final Season and Off Season. Just have to hope it continues selling enough for Aniplex and Kodansha to keep paying Shaft to animate it.
Honestly glad we have it not then years ago. For me I'm not affected by the sales but i am affected by the quality. And this quality is soo much better than what would have been done years ago.

but ya even on a decline the gatari series is staying on top compared to most anime every season
Aug 23, 2016 8:59 AM

Sep 2012
moodie said:
hpulley said:
Honestly glad we have it not then years ago. For me I'm not affected by the sales but i am affected by the quality. And this quality is soo much better than what would have been done years ago.

but ya even on a decline the gatari series is staying on top compared to most anime every season
Kizumonogatari brought back much of the staff from Bakemonogatari. Do you still think they would have done a bad job if they'd done Kizumonogatari right after Bakemonogatari, say in 2010? I agree, I like how the movie looks but I wonder how much of that is due to the return of the original staff?

Agreed, even with a steep decline, Monogatari is on top of the sales so hopefully that will be enough to ensure we get another cour of Owari, perhaps a 4-episode special for Zoku and a cour or two for Off Season.
Aug 23, 2016 9:40 AM

Jun 2016
I gotta say I'm surprised to see Dagashi Kashi up there, but good for them, it's pretty good after all and it seems it's not just me who thinks that.
Aug 23, 2016 9:58 AM

Sep 2012
Erg_Orgy said:
I gotta say I'm surprised to see Dagashi Kashi up there, but good for them, it's pretty good after all and it seems it's not just me who thinks that.
Sadly 1,111 copies is nothing to be happy about. Better than "**,*** not ranked", sure but not good. Too bad as it was quite fun.
hpulleyAug 23, 2016 10:07 AM
Aug 23, 2016 9:59 AM

Dec 2012
hpulley said:
moodie said:

Kizumonogatari brought back much of the staff from Bakemonogatari. Do you still think they would have done a bad job if they'd done Kizumonogatari right after Bakemonogatari, say in 2010? I agree, I like how the movie looks but I wonder how much of that is due to the return of the original staff?

Agreed, even with a steep decline, Monogatari is on top of the sales so hopefully that will be enough to ensure we get another cour of Owari, perhaps a 4-episode special for Zoku and a cour or two for Off Season.

In terms of ''quality''. It's the opposite if anything imo. That little preview in Bakemongatari about Kizumonogatari looked better than the current sunburned style of the film, the character design also feels odd.

SHAFT really missed out on what could have been their biggest success ever or at least as good as the Madoka movie.
Aug 23, 2016 10:06 AM
Mar 2015
BnHA is selling nicely.
Aug 23, 2016 10:14 AM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
hpulley said:

In terms of ''quality''. It's the opposite if anything imo. That little preview in Bakemongatari about Kizumonogatari looked better than the current sunburned style of the film, the character design also feels odd.

SHAFT really missed out on what could have been their biggest success ever or at least as good as the Madoka movie.
Remember, Shaft doesn't decide what to animate or when to release it. Aniplex and Kodansha decide. Shaft just says yes or no when asked if they want to and think they can animate it for a certain budget and schedule and if they want a little chair on the production committee. A very small chair.
Aug 23, 2016 10:20 AM

Apr 2014
tsudecimo said:
hpulley said:

Yikes it looks 100 times better than the tv series
Aug 23, 2016 10:21 AM
Mar 2015
hpulley said:
Erg_Orgy said:
Sadly 1,111 copies is nothing to be happy about. Better than "**,*** not ranked", sure but not good. Too bad as it was quite fun.

main purpose is to sell candy/dagashi
and i heard the manga got quiet a boost too.
Aug 23, 2016 10:30 AM

Sep 2012
edge13 said:
hpulley said:

main purpose is to sell candy/dagashi
and i heard the manga got quiet a boost too.
Oh yes. Overall I'm not excited or sad about any of the sales on this list anymore. Disc sales don't really mean that much and don't determine the success or failure of a show. Good disc sales help of course but low sales don't spell disaster if the source material and/or other merchandise sells well.
Aug 23, 2016 10:34 AM
Oct 2015
It is really nice to see Hai to gensou on the list. I hope they make a second season for it
Aug 23, 2016 10:54 AM

Dec 2012
hpulley said:
tsudecimo said:

Remember, Shaft doesn't decide what to animate or when to release it. Aniplex and Kodansha decide. Shaft just says yes or no when asked if they want to and think they can animate it for a certain budget and schedule and if they want a little chair on the production committee. A very small chair.

I meant the general delay, not specifically the studio. I said SHAFT because that what associate the movie/series with.
Aug 23, 2016 10:57 AM

Apr 2014
hpulley said:
moodie said:

Staff might be the same but what i enjoy the most is the art style. Looking at the pv for kizu the art style would have been similar to the rest of the series. I believe this wait is great because it gives Oishi a chance at a high quality series.
Aug 23, 2016 11:09 AM

Sep 2012
moodie said:
hpulley said:

Staff might be the same but what i enjoy the most is the art style. Looking at the pv for kizu the art style would have been similar to the rest of the series. I believe this wait is great because it gives Oishi a chance at a high quality series.
I enjoy it too. I'll admit when I saw the first PV with the new character designs I was surprised at first but after seeing the whole movie I love the designs. Tsubasa especially... I must say I would have chosen her over Hitagi or perhaps that is to say I would have chosen Tsubasa there and Hitagi might not have had a chance.

Speaking of Kizu and sales, Nekketsu-hen opened on the 19th: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/?yr=2016&wk=34&p=.htm
N Kizumonogatari II: Nekketsu-hen Toho ・99,999,977 - n/a - ・0 ・175,000,034 1
Way down from the opening weekend of Tekketsu-hen unfortunately.
hpulleyAug 23, 2016 11:26 AM
Aug 23, 2016 11:23 AM
Jul 2018
Yay Grimgar here o3o
Aug 23, 2016 11:51 AM

Oct 2015
Haikyuu is dominating The Top Sales Interesting :D
Aug 23, 2016 12:37 PM

Mar 2014
I see Haikyuu!! is still going stronk
MY BBY <4
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 23, 2016 2:54 PM

Sep 2013
hpulley said:
moodie said:

let's not forget that this is with people being angry about the money grab as well.
At least the first day Kizu was out on Amazon I looked at amazon and it was all about money-money-money-money and fans being pissed despite rating the movie itself decently :(
Aug 23, 2016 4:09 PM

Mar 2016
I'd feel exited when see unpopular anime makes good dvd/blu-ray disk sales

Aug 23, 2016 5:43 PM
Jan 2016
another slow week again huh
Aug 24, 2016 4:35 AM

Sep 2012
Toadesstern said:
hpulley said:

let's not forget that this is with people being angry about the money grab as well.
At least the first day Kizu was out on Amazon I looked at amazon and it was all about money-money-money-money and fans being pissed despite rating the movie itself decently :(
Yes, it could have been released as one 2.5 hour movie or something like that. Yeah, it could be an attempt to get more money now when releasing it years ago might have given them the same money with a single film. But I think you'll find in general you get extremes from amazon reviews, or reviews anywhere really. The haters will always be the loudest.

But I'm not sure it is just a money grab. I think trying to produce it as one film initially is likely at least part of the reason why it took years to come out. I think they came to realize that and decided to make it three separate projects in smaller chunks which are much easier to start and finish with high quality.

Personally I wish it had some out in one long film mostly so I would have it already! Having to wait likely another 1-2 years for the last 2 Blurays is unfortunate. I wish it had come out years ago but.... this is how they're releasing it so I must wait. Bad reviews on amazon are not going to make the sequels come out more quickly.
Aug 24, 2016 4:37 AM
Jul 2018
Super Lovers sales is not good like first and second volume! >_<

Can't wait for 3rd season of Haikyuu <3
Aug 24, 2016 12:09 PM

Sep 2013
hpulley said:
Toadesstern said:

Yes, it could have been released as one 2.5 hour movie or something like that. Yeah, it could be an attempt to get more money now when releasing it years ago might have given them the same money with a single film. But I think you'll find in general you get extremes from amazon reviews, or reviews anywhere really. The haters will always be the loudest.

But I'm not sure it is just a money grab. I think trying to produce it as one film initially is likely at least part of the reason why it took years to come out. I think they came to realize that and decided to make it three separate projects in smaller chunks which are much easier to start and finish with high quality.

Personally I wish it had some out in one long film mostly so I would have it already! Having to wait likely another 1-2 years for the last 2 Blurays is unfortunate. I wish it had come out years ago but.... this is how they're releasing it so I must wait. Bad reviews on amazon are not going to make the sequels come out more quickly.

yeah agree. I myself don't really mind it but I do wonder if sales would be better otherwise. Then again, is 1x good sales better or 3x "mediocre" sales? :P

Also kind of questionable wether or not some people actually didn't by it because they're pissed about the 3way split. As we know anime BDs are kind of targeted at hardcore fans right? So chances are they're going to rant online but buy it nontheless because duh. If they aren't hardcore fans they're not going to pay that much money for BDs in the first place I'd assume
Aug 24, 2016 12:22 PM

Sep 2012
Toadesstern said:
hpulley said:

yeah agree. I myself don't really mind it but I do wonder if sales would be better otherwise. Then again, is 1x good sales better or 3x "mediocre" sales? :P

Also kind of questionable wether or not some people actually didn't by it because they're pissed about the 3way split. As we know anime BDs are kind of targeted at hardcore fans right? So chances are they're going to rant online but buy it nontheless because duh. If they aren't hardcore fans they're not going to pay that much money for BDs in the first place I'd assume
Anime is very, very expensive. Only the most hardcore fans will buy the Blurays. Fans and casuals looking for a night at the movies will pay to see it in the theater. Others will just wait for the BD to be ripped and watch it for free online.

Real hardcore collectors in fact PREFER it to be 3 discs as it means more boxes, more post cards, more booklets, more bonus CDs. Casual collectors will wait for the 3-disc BD Box which will be cheaper; hardcore collectors will buy the Box as well but never just the box. But those hardcore collectors seem to be a dying breed, as evidenced by the sliding sales pretty much across the board this year.

More topics from this board

» '30-sai made Doutei dato Mahoutsukai ni Nareru Rashii' Gets Compilation Movie in 2024

DatRandomDude - Mar 27

7 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Youkai Gakkou no Sensei Hajimemashita!' Gets TV Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Dec 15, 2023

15 by saeforlifee »»
2 hours ago

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

19 by Ant161718 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Yuru Camp△' Season 3 Announces Additional Cast

Nioxys - Yesterday

8 by MalchikRepaid »»
5 hours ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Unveils Additional Cast, Staff, Second Promo

Hyperion_PS - 8 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.