Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Apr 18, 2016 6:13 PM

Jun 2010
Is realizing the envelopment of his fleet is slow enough to allow him to attack the Republic fleets piecemeal supposed to demonstrate genius on Rheinhard's part? How could it be difficult to see this? How could the other commanders be so incompetent as to not know how fast a fleet can move?

Pretty dry stuff. I think it'd help if I had some idea of what the stakes were. What happens if one side or the other prevails?

The asides with that bald man were also awfully opaque. He's interested in the battle but there's no hint why. Why should I be interested?
May 28, 2016 6:17 PM

Aug 2014
After years of procrastination, I finally gave in and decided to watch this because of all the praise this was getting.

Oh boy, it's going to take me forever to remember all the names/titles...At least I was already informed with some of the important characters so that's a start.

So far I'm liking Reinhard the most out of the characters. He's cleary a confident individual but he doesn't come off as too arrogant or an ass...I dig that.
As for Yang, he also seems very competent so that's great.

Ok start so far. Not gonna lie though, It was a little boring at times so hopefully it gets better.
Aug 6, 2016 7:39 AM

Oct 2015
I'm rewatching these series. And I wanted to give some comments on each of the episodes. Don't worry, there won't be any spoilers. Now, let's start:
Everyone praises these series for the vastness of the storyline. And it's true: this story tries to picture the entire human history. But to me there's always something more vast - and that's our universe. Compared to that mankind and it's history is just too insignificant. So I really like to meet someone who understands that: Reinhard and Kircheis. But now these two start to discuss something far less romantic, no, I should say "exactly the opposite"...
I don't like how this episodes tries to make us think that the old people are stupid and the young ones are geniouses, just because the main characters are young and clever. Other than that I don't have anything to complain about. Even about animation. Because I know how hard it is to draw. If you look closely you'll find out that the art is quite decent. Take for example, that palace in Neue Sanssousi.
Next, we see Annerose and... How cruel it is of them (I'm talking about Kaiser and Lichtenlade) to be talking about her brother being surrounded by the force twice as big! She looks calm, but I'm sure she's worried!
Now let's move on to Yang and his rejected plan. It seems it's not the first time for him, but still it's not fair. "Too cautious" you say. Most of the battles were lost because of those who underestimate their opponent.
I'm sorry to see Lapp, Yang's friend, die so meaninglessly.
Omnia munda mundis
Aug 12, 2016 9:55 PM

Apr 2015
Good but boring start. Expected it but this will be a long ride I guess.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2016 2:18 PM

Jan 2014
This was a pretty good episode. It got me excited a little bit to see what will happen next..
Oct 11, 2016 5:23 PM

Aug 2014
Great start.
Only thing that is not great is the animation quality.
Art, Sounds, premise are all great.

Looking forward for this.
Oct 21, 2016 8:45 AM

Nov 2011
I know I'm going to hurt me intentionally, but I was sick of waiting for the arrival of a subtitled version in my native language. So, as a start, the catapult narrative the viewer immediately on the battlefield, but you'll also meet other secondary issues such as the environment and not. Drawings, fine, and impressive soundtrack, like being at the theater.
Dec 4, 2016 3:21 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
First episode, and i am happy, does not disappoint!!!!
Dec 9, 2016 11:51 PM

Sep 2014
Interesting, but I expected so much more. I was actually pretty bored by the half episode mark. The art was pretty consistent and detailed so I liked it. Although the animation was choppy sometimes.

I don't know if this was my fault or not, but the battle made no sense tbh. I'm interested enough to continue, but probably wont be watching it anytime soon.
Jan 18, 2017 12:32 PM

Nov 2013
Ho..hoo...hooold on for one second: Ryo Horikawa (Vegeta) is voicing Reinhard ^^. This is just epic :D
Apart from that, this episode wasn't particularly amazing but I guess we need to get more context.
Feb 18, 2017 2:44 PM
Jul 2018
Hm! So many people have been shown on the very first episode.

I don't understand why they are fighting for, not to mention the battles aren't clear that much.Hopefully it will explain all the stuff very perfectly.
Aug 29, 2017 1:40 AM
Nov 2015
POOR YANG POOR YANG POOR YANG!

This first arc was my least favorite, cuz then I didn't really care about the characters or get engaged in the story.
But rewatching this is soooo nice. Seeing Kirheis, Poplan, Reuenthal... again is so nostalgic, and even hearing that "ginga no rekishi mata ichi page" is nostalgic tooo.

Anyway I didn't pay attention to how superb the writing is this early on. When the 2 Empire soldiers go to their tank sleep, even that trivial conversation is super super gold. Or the hologram image of Yang's friend's wife falling into the flame, or how annoying and believable the bureaucracy is on the Republic side.
Sep 13, 2017 4:15 PM

Sep 2012
On the fence with this.

Sean_Nessman said:
Anyway I didn't pay attention to how superb the writing is this early on. When the 2 Empire soldiers go to their tank sleep, even that trivial conversation is super super gold.
Yeah like how for some reason they chose to explain to each other the mundane details of what they've been routinely doing for presumably the majority of their adult lives.

Like when I go to get gas, I make sure to explain in detail to the person next to me how I am, at that very moment, getting gas for my car and what the process involves. Typical, casual conversation that totally happens in real life.

I wouldn't call ham-fisted exposition "superb" writing, even if they throw in a little poetic line about nightmares at the end.
Oct 4, 2017 9:16 PM

May 2016
episode 1...

one thing that i found really hard was trying to read the names of the many characters while also reading the subtitles. i know that this series has a lot of characters, so it's going to be a challenge trying to remember them, if not only the main characters.

they were clearly in a winning position, but because of the commander's incompetence it went the wrong way where they ended up losing two of their fleets.

i can already see the brilliance in both of the young commanders, but personally i think i find yang as my favourite because he's a lot more reserved.

Oct 8, 2017 11:45 PM

Apr 2009
1988 and this animation is better than nowadays.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 29, 2017 11:26 PM

Jan 2010
Well, this is the first step to a long journey. It's been years since I was first exposed to Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and while I know a number of cursory information about this series, I've held off completing it due to high expectations and wanting to get into it after experiencing a good amount of other shows to better gauge how good LOTGH is.

The classical orchestra music checks out, I love the huge scale of the initial battle, and the emphasis on strategy for maneuvering the fleets over the soldiers' personal battles seem to frame this show as a war of numbers over emotion. But, again, this is only the first episode, so I'm looking forward to how this show develops.
Dec 23, 2017 12:48 PM

May 2016
I have watched the two movies this week and started this now, the first episode was a recap of the second movie with some new scenes but still boring to watch because of I just watched two days ago, I think the second episode will a recap as well.
Dec 23, 2017 5:10 PM

Jun 2013
Raizel said:
I have watched the two movies this week and started this now, the first episode was a recap of the second movie with some new scenes but still boring to watch because of I just watched two days ago, I think the second episode will a recap as well.

The second movie (Overture to a New Battle) is actually a remake of the first two episodes, not the other way round. They have some different scenes, but overall the movie version is considered as superior in terms of quality.
Jan 13, 2018 12:00 AM
Nov 2017
Thanks to the AWC i'm getting a chance to watch this. The scale of things is amazing. And even though it's only been one episode I like where the characterization is going. I like Reinhard. I like Yenli. This is going to be good!
Apr 6, 2018 1:21 PM

Sep 2017
Boring first episode. There is just a war going on and 2 armies fighting. I like the logistics of how the galactic empire decided to encounter each fleet individually than all at once. But the enemy commanders should have seen it coming. It is quite basic after all.

I hope each of the main characters have some depth to their character or motivations to win the war. We have seen one MC have his imouto/sister in politics, but nothing more than that. I hope that all the characters are not 2 dimensional. In fact, one of the general's death seemed to be the same. Dying with the photo of an unknown woman going off, what is she, his mistress? Nice use of romance as a plot device buddy.

If this series has no 3 dimensional battles and instead focuses on 2d terrain battles, it is gonna be boring. I get that they are in orbit around the planet, but wouldn't a 3d formation be better than a 2d formation? I would go for a triangular pyramidal formation, with the apex being the enemy fleet and the 3 points on the base being the own fleet, with the enemy fleet facing my own fleet at angles of 120 degrees each from their initial direction of motion. That way, if the enemy fleet tries to attack my fleet, the other 2 can focus on the enemy fleet from far off.

Are space fights really possible only in close range? And sound in space? They better give a good explanation like in Gundam.

How is the neutral planet gonna profit if the war ends??? War profiteers make a lot of profit than in normal times. Also those commanders are babies. Not willing to attack their own friends. What did they join the army for?

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 11, 2018 11:05 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Oh boi, so it begin...
Aug 28, 2018 3:01 AM

Feb 2017
Looking over this thread, it's funny to see people mentioning at the start that LotGH was #1, and it's slowly dropped to #7 over ten years. I wonder what that means about MAL, and far less about anime in general.
Apr 24, 2019 8:13 PM

Nov 2016
Well decided to start watching this old anime, and god is a long journey. I felt that many things were happening and I couldn't really keep with it because I tend to do more than 1 thing when watching an anime to save time. Names that's another difficult thing to memorize, I memorized Reinhard and Yang already because they seemed to be the most iconic characters and we see Yang mentor die, while throwing a photo of her fiance. Anyways I hope I can enjoy the series as I should and I think I may need to rewatch it after being done with it but so far has been really good with lots of things happening, if not for the animation that's hard to digest when you are used to modern animation. But is understable for an OVA budget that may have been not as good, and is also old, so.
Jun 9, 2019 9:32 PM

Jan 2018
I like this ,though the eng sub is sometimes hard to understand
Sep 13, 2019 12:07 PM

Sep 2018
It can be seen from the quality of the drawings, but can also be heard from the soundtrack, that this anime is from another era. The narration goes straight to the point and also shows the context a bit, not bad. This time, I hope this long ride to finish this anime series doesn't stop, I want to get to the end.
Oct 3, 2019 10:00 AM
Apr 2016
Yang's lack of authority seems to be the game decider, incompetent superiors of his don't know how to deal with the situations properly. Reinhard on the otherhand, has all the authority needed. Once Yang gets authority, I wonder how his battles against Reinhard will turn out...
Oct 18, 2019 7:01 AM

Oct 2012
Damn those commanders are bunch of fools
I wonder how did they become one, probably because of seniority

War isn't some shounen where you can save everyone :P

I don't know which one I'm rooting for, they're all main characters xD
"Signature removed"
Dec 24, 2019 3:37 PM

Nov 2016
I'm up to date with the remake, I think that helped me to enjoy this episode even more since I'm already familiar with the essence of the story.

And it took me merely a few seconds to get used to the differences in production. I love the remake, but this version has also it's charm. Great start and I'm so hyped for this journey.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 18, 2020 4:11 AM
May 2012
Looking good. Love the ending song.
Jun 29, 2020 8:15 AM
Dec 2019
Now I know why this show is called the largest voice cast of any anime.
Aug 4, 2020 9:35 PM

Sep 2018
Hmmmmm... I don't understand this lol Too many characters that I'm confused who's the allies or the enemy. The episode 1 didn't explain more about the war.. the war seems like a spaceship battle game that no thousand of people involve.. poor guys!

Sep 6, 2020 5:49 AM
Jan 2018
ac_eren said:
Hmmmmm... I don't understand this lol Too many characters that I'm confused who's the allies or the enemy. The episode 1 didn't explain more about the war.. the war seems like a spaceship battle game that no thousand of people involve.. poor guys!

Try watching the two movies or at least the overture Movie which is a remake of the first 2 and 1/2 epiosdes but better paced . I think it gives you More or less a hint at what your asking but I don't recall them saying why they are at war yet

If your still interested after both or the one movie , I can send you a link to a guide that tells you which characters are important etc
Mattinator95Sep 6, 2020 6:27 AM
Sep 9, 2020 7:23 AM

Jul 2016
CG-Silver said:
Good but boring start. Expected it but this will be a long ride I guess.

Yep, seems to me like this will be a slow burn
Sep 10, 2020 10:42 PM

Oct 2019
I'm liking it so far. I'll probably be able to remember their names eventually, but so far I think Reinhard is cool.
Mar 3, 2021 2:53 PM

Feb 2012
2021 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 9, 2021 7:19 PM

Oct 2019
Really love Reinhard's voice actor
Mar 13, 2021 3:15 AM
May 2020
shouldve listened to yang lol
May 19, 2021 5:51 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So many characters it's quite confusing, but well Yang seems to be the most interesting one
Jul 1, 2021 12:59 AM

Jun 2020
pacing more bearable den da movies 🥱
Sep 13, 2021 6:22 PM

Jul 2019
These guys talk too much. The OP/ED here is fire tho.
Dec 12, 2021 2:25 AM

Jun 2020
I feel so dumb watching this.. :(

It was hard to follow, so confusing.. I didn't understand the war, the dialogues.. it will take me ages to remember the names, titles, etc.. felt like I was thrown into the middle of something very grand.. I hope it will get easier to follow as the show progresses..
Dec 12, 2021 9:34 AM
Nov 2020
The beginning is pretty intense in terms of memorizing all the characters.
Jan 10, 2022 1:45 AM

Aug 2017
The movie remake has a better presentation but this first episode wasn't bad at all. I think the reasoning of the war was better presented here, the movie remake literally didn't say anything.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 26, 2022 11:37 AM
Aug 2021
It doesn't make sense at all. The alliance didn't even consider the possibility that empire's 20k troops might push forward to fight against alliance's middle fleet of 13k when there's literally only 2 possibilities for the alliance (running away or pushing forward). The other two fleets are so far apart and move so slow that they couldn't even come to save the middle fleet. This happens despite the fact that they have been fighting for 150 years in modern era which values information and competence. Surely a situation like this must have occurred before? Even if it didn't it doesn't take much to figure this out.

Also just because empire attacked 1st, it doesn't make sense that they won without a scratch. 20k vs 13k should mean that 20k suffered a lot of damage as well. Atleast losing 5k.

It also doesn't make sense that they couldn't see empire's fleet approaching until it was too late. Even if radios were jammed, a simple telescope and light would still work.

Nor does it make sense that in modern era, the remaining two fleets don't combine and attack what should have been a weakened empire fleet of around 15k ships logically speaking. Even if they don't combine, 15k ships of empire (15k is very very generous, they should be not much more than 5k after fighting 13k ships of middle fleet) should be an even match for a single alliance fleet of 13k.

Ridiculous.
Kot_SchlyopaFeb 26, 2022 10:26 PM
Mar 31, 2022 5:41 AM

Dec 2007
last night my internet had been dropped so i had to watch something lol, and this anime just lied in my harddrive, so i decided to give it at try. and damn it was good.
the animation and action scenes aren't exciting, but that isn't the point in my view.
the characters are likeable from the very beginning.

i feel the reason for the war had started is lacking, hope they will fill it in time.

oh and i tried to remember the names lol, not much success but i got the primary ones.
Jun 28, 2022 9:17 PM
Jul 2018
The generals and admirals were real stuck up old dogs lol, I hope they're not always this stubborn and prideful.

Sick_Bastard said:
It looks pretty good so far. Kind of reminds me of Gundam.

I get major 0079 vibes myself, the art and the battleship strategic combat kinda stuff are always fun imo.

User-Name said:
last night my internet had been dropped so i had to watch something lol, and this anime just lied in my harddrive, so i decided to give it at try. and damn it was good.
the animation and action scenes aren't exciting, but that isn't the point in my view.
the characters are likeable from the very beginning.

i feel the reason for the war had started is lacking, hope they will fill it in time.

oh and i tried to remember the names lol, not much success but i got the primary ones.

My thoughts exactly, I'm really wondering how the whole thing is gonna develop. I know this has to have so much hype for a reason but they set up the characters the best, far better than they did with the story so far.
Aug 22, 2022 4:25 PM
Feb 2019
It is interesting to open the mind to this kind of anime, maybe it will grow on me.
The strategy aspect of it is alluring.
Sep 10, 2022 5:31 AM
Jun 2022
I love it! And it is indeed a masterpiece! This anime best of all of the animes!

Nov 8, 2022 4:18 PM

May 2018
Finally started to watch! I can't remember anyone's names either lol. So I guess it's a game of brains as opposed to brawns. And also, dismissing the power of friendship already lmao
Jan 2, 2023 11:34 AM

Aug 2018
Its been quite some time, I've been questioning myself whether or not is the time to finaly start watching this show, guess that day has come.

I think this is gonna be one of a kind ride for me, everything here just seems so different from regular anime that we see nowadays, but I really have high expectations and heard nothing but praise about this series, however its a fact that many people find it scary for two main reasons : it's long and it's old.

So far after first episode I can say that OP alone almost got me sold on commiting to fully watch this, such a beautiful choice of music that lets you feel the massive scope you are about to witness.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 26, 2008

80 by Safrichh »»
Sep 25, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 42 Discussion

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

42 by Seijatachiiii »»
Sep 13, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

135 by Seijatachiiii »»
Sep 10, 5:42 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 88 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 4, 2008

54 by acuriousmind »»
Sep 7, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 60 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 31, 2008

60 by WilliamMinerva20 »»
Sep 6, 7:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.