Forum Settings
Forums
your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (28) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2016 2:55 PM

Feb 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow thats all I can say. If anyone got to see it its world premiere at Anime Expo you are very very lucky. Same feeling as the director's past two movies but with a way more compelling story. Art is as good as ever and the story just had so many moments that had you guessing what would come next. Definitely the best movie from this director so far.

On mobile right now will try to add more later.
Jul 3, 2016 3:01 PM
Jul 2014
Phenomenal movie, watched it at the AX world premiere. The art direction, animation, and backgrounds are all of the expected caliber of Makoto Shinkai.

Run time of the movie is about 1 hour 40 minutes long, a good length to give the plot to develop and unfold. It was somewhat harder to follow in the end but the story wrapped up in a very satisfactory manner. The music was also very well done and complimented the film very well.
Jul 3, 2016 3:01 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I am just so glad we got a good ending. I'm so happy that Taki turned around at the last scene and asked if they had met before!
p r o f i l e 👀
Jul 3, 2016 3:06 PM

Feb 2010
Naruleach said:
I am just so glad we got a good ending. I'm so happy that Taki turned around at the last scene and asked if they had met before!

Omg yes. The fourth time they passed each other I was like no way he's not gonna blueball us again is he?!?! Then thankfully he turned around. So glad this didn't end like garden of words and 5 cm per second
Jul 3, 2016 3:11 PM
Aug 2012
Best fucking romance movie I've ever seen in my life. Very emotional. Good shit.
Jul 3, 2016 3:17 PM

Apr 2009
The art and animation was definitely gorgeous. The long line/wait was definitely worth it.
Jul 3, 2016 4:14 PM

Nov 2013
checkdafool said:
Definitely the best movie from this director so far.

Agreed. There are elements from Kotonoha no Niwa that I think still stand above, but overall, Kimi no Na wa shines as Shinkai's most well-rounded effort to date.

After Shinkai retires after an illustrious career, I suspect it'll be this film (and not, say, Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo), that will be looked upon as marking the ascension of Shinkai as a fully mature director of animation. I don't mean to detract from his earlier films (many of which would represent a high-water mark for any ordinary director) but, rather, to suggest that there's a lot more really good stuff to come.
Jul 3, 2016 4:54 PM

Jan 2014
My god, you got me hyped so much. Even more now...!!!
Jul 3, 2016 5:08 PM

Nov 2015
so this movie is out or was it only screened at the convention??
Jul 3, 2016 5:18 PM

Aug 2015
InuScotty711 said:
so this movie is out or was it only screened at the convention??

World premiere was at the convention.
Jul 3, 2016 5:36 PM

Jul 2015
Damn, wish I could have seen the premiere. Oh well, only have to wait until next month when it gets released.
Jul 3, 2016 6:17 PM

Apr 2014
I've never liked Shinkai's works ( at least the ones I've seen ), finding them masterpieces in art but lacking in story and/or character development, so I walked in with low expectations, and walked out in awe. It was amazing! Definitely full of both the wonderful art I've come to associate with his movies and the plot and character components I've been looking for. Very impressed!
/ those 5cm flashbacks when they kept passing each other by, tho

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Jul 3, 2016 6:35 PM

Aug 2013
I came in with low expectation like many others, but I gotta say it was gorgeous,was only able to make it to AX on sunday and this movie made it all worth it. Not only we got happy ending and plot was far more complex than what it showed on the trailer, and art animation. 10/10 def surpassed garden of words by far, and I really liked g.o.w
And now I really want to grope my boobs when i cry.. if I were a female
Jul 3, 2016 7:51 PM

Oct 2010
checkdafool said:

same feeling as the director's past two movies but with a way more compelling story

What you say about it being similar to his last two films kinda makes me a little less hyped. I felt they were his weakest films in terms of "Feeling". I loved them both, they just didn't leave me with any real emotional impact. Seeing overall good remarks about this online, ... But at the same time, I expect like 90% of the people that would've gone to this panel to have been the most hardcore fans that are more than just a little bias lol.

Looking forward to funimation's release and laughing at my own post here in a few months when I see and love the hell out of the film, most likely. Makoto Shinkai has basically been an idol to me since I saw Voices in 2004. I have heavy faith in him.
KougeruJul 3, 2016 7:55 PM
Jul 3, 2016 7:53 PM
Oct 2015
I didn't know what to expect since the trailer didn't provide much, but after watching the premiere at AX I have to say that it was simply amazing. The visuals and animation were stunning, and the plot was wayyy more than what was shown in the trailer. It was an overall brilliant film, and I was moved by it.
I was getting so upset at the end when they kept passing each other like noooo not 5CM/Sec again! But in the end it all worked out. It was great.
Jul 4, 2016 2:05 AM
Jan 2013
I usually never log on to post my opinion but wanted to do so after seeing the world premiere. Ultimately in my opinion, it was a masterpiece. A truly emotionally gripping film that is executed to near perfection whether it be visually, musically, storyline, etc. Great balance of comedy and drama, and of course, be ready for feels because it hits hard. What I loved most about the movie was the parallelism. The introduction of scenes with little to no context only to be replayed with full knowledge later on. I also enjoyed the stellar cinematography. Many who pay attention to detail will notice the little movements and scenes that are performed to reflect the current mood of the film. Like doors opening and closing to reflect positive and negative tones.

I could talk more about the film but I don't want to spoil anything. But as a final conclusion, don't be afraid if it gets a lot of hype. First of all it deserves it. Secondly, if you didn't enjoy Makoto's previous films, I guarantee you will be satisfied with this one. If you hated 5cm, the difference between the two is literally night and day. To be completely honest if this does not make it in the top 10 rankings for anime films, I would be quite surprised.

A+
Jul 4, 2016 2:09 AM
Jan 2013
Kougeru said:
checkdafool said:

same feeling as the director's past two movies but with a way more compelling story

What you say about it being similar to his last two films kinda makes me a little less hyped. I felt they were his weakest films in terms of "Feeling". I loved them both, they just didn't leave me with any real emotional impact. Seeing overall good remarks about this online, ... But at the same time, I expect like 90% of the people that would've gone to this panel to have been the most hardcore fans that are more than just a little bias lol.

Looking forward to funimation's release and laughing at my own post here in a few months when I see and love the hell out of the film, most likely. Makoto Shinkai has basically been an idol to me since I saw Voices in 2004. I have heavy faith in him.

Trust me. You will not be disappointed.
Jul 4, 2016 2:34 AM

Apr 2016
Why would someone hate 5 centimeter per second?although the ending was kind of sad and hard to take but it was realistic.
Jul 4, 2016 7:09 AM
Jan 2013
RoyTF said:
Why would someone hate 5 centimeter per second?although the ending was kind of sad and hard to take but it was realistic.

Oh it was definitely a great movie and I enjoyed it myself. Though I think that it's a movie that would not be enjoyed by all audiences. It does tend to get a bit slow regarding overall pacing. And the ending of course might trigger some. Overall I think that Your Name is more well-rounded, and in fact suitable for almost any audience.
Jul 4, 2016 7:59 AM

Oct 2015
This movie was absolutely incredible. I was lucky to be able to see its world premier at AX.

I won't lie though but I came in with different expectations. The "supernatural" element with a name like Makoto Shinkai didn't really click to me as I knew him more for this incredible attention to detail in a romance slice-of-life setting, but this movie was something else entirely. He made it work in a way no less than what you can expect from Shinkai. Nothing short of simply amazing, and something I'd definitely recommend on a bucket list to anyone.

The character designer Masayoshi Tanaka is also one to thank for this. His characters along with Shinkai's direction are an incredible combination (think 5cm with Anohana character designs). I hope to see more of these guys in the future.
Jul 4, 2016 9:22 AM
Jun 2016
I need more spoiler plss
Jul 4, 2016 3:09 PM
Jul 2014
An interesting footnote they mentioned in the post-premiere director interview was that Shinkai was walking around during the showing and gauging audience reactions. I wonder if that will have any bearing on the final cut of the movie. They did mention he was working on the film up until 4 days before the AX premiere.
Jul 5, 2016 2:08 AM
Feb 2010
checkdafool said:
Naruleach said:

Omg yes. The fourth time they passed each other I was like no way he's not gonna blueball us again is he?!?! Then thankfully he turned around. So glad this didn't end like garden of words and 5 cm per second

All the trains in the scene and the time of day and a slope on a city street and the scenery, it was almost as if a "what if" 5 cm ended differently.
Jul 5, 2016 2:09 AM
Feb 2010
AbilArqamSan said:
I need more spoiler plss

Hanazawa Kana reprises her role in this film?
Jul 5, 2016 2:24 AM
Feb 2010
It was such an emotional rollercoaster and especially so with such a huge audience at AX this year. The light-hearted laughter to the gasps and cries of shock to the cheers at the end, it was beyond words.

Very minor spoilers.

And for those of you who were at the premiere, both of those scenes with the marker pen on the mountain top and the writing revealed on the hand killed me. The abruptness from the first and the realization we the audience and Mitsuha share from the second. The way the music cuts out and comes in during these scenes, respectively, was done so well.
strik3Jul 5, 2016 2:32 AM
Jul 5, 2016 9:41 AM

Mar 2014
I'll post this here since reviews are locked until it "airs" on August 26:

(Relatively spoiler-free)

-----

Makoto Shinkai is a name that, to many, equates with “feels.” Whether it’s Voices from a Distant Star, the Children Who Chase Lost Voices, or the classic 5 Centimeters per Second, Shinkai’s films carry the guarantee of beautiful animation and emotional depth rarely seen in anime. Kimi no Na Wa, “Your Name,” is no exception to the trend. If anything, Your Name is the end product of years of experimentation with storytelling and filmmaking – the story that Shinkai has always wanted, and tried, to tell, finally made real, and done so in a satisfying, entertaining, and heart-wrenching way.

Your Name is the story of two people: Mitsuha Miyamizu, a shrine maiden in the rural Japanese countryside, and Taki Tachibana, a stock standard highschool student in Tokyo. Their irregular body-swapping isn’t the sort that leaves much of a solid mark – their memories of swaps are hazy, and they can’t exactly take notes with them, and more importantly they’ve never even met. Yet here, one of the first themes Shinkai communicates comes forward – the echoes left by a person’s life, by their actions and in the people around them, is just as good as meeting the person themselves. Mitsuha and Taki both get to learn about each other not only during their body swaps, but in seeing the aftereffects of each others’ antics while swapped, be it Taki’s boldness in her body or Mitsuha’s setting up Taki’s love life in his. Love, as told by Shinkai, is more than just affection for a person – it’s in the things we do for others and what they do for us.

The core theme of Your Name is “musubi” – a word that describes coming together and growing apart, starting a journey and reaching its conclusion, and the ebb and flow of time and fate. It is a word that, perhaps, summarizes the whole of Makoto Shinkai’s stories on the topic of love and fate – it describes the insatiable urge to find the one you’re destined to be with, as explored in Voices from a Distant Star, and likewise the unavoidable flow of time that pulls people apart and leads to new beginnings, as in 5 Centimeters per Second. The topic of musubi dominates the story of Your Name, in a manner that makes the movie both coherent in its own plot and insightful in its approach to the standard “red string of fate” story.

It is difficult to put into words exactly why Your Name resonates on the threads it does (pun intended), but it has to do with the raw elegance with which the theme of musubi is presented. It encompasses both the sappy and giddy optimism of true love winning out, and the melancholy acceptance of time moving on. It perfectly describes the “why” to the red string of fate, and why that symbol holds so much power in the mind.

Of course, it goes without saying that the fundamentals of Your Name – the animation, the voice acting, and the like – are of the top quality. The name that Shinkai has made for himself and his works in regards to raw quality is strong for a reason – Your Name does not disappoint visually, or audibly. Of particular note is the ear-orgasming soundtrack, provided by RADWIMPS, who provided both the trailer music as well as several in-film songs. Rather than simply searching for music that matched his artistic vision retroactively, Makoto Shinkai sought out RADWIMPS’ inclusion in the film from the get-go, and the result of integrating them so early into the creative process is evident every time the film’s soundtrack gets going. If nothing else, Your Name is a movie that can be watched for the music.

Your Name is, if anything, a classic Makoto Shinkai work. It is beautiful, both in visuals and in story. It tugs at the heartstrings, appealing to things that every viewer can identify with, either out of personal experience or out of desire to experience. But more than anything else, it leaves the audience satisfied, throughout its runtime and in its conclusion, with a story well told. Your Name handily takes its place as not just my favorite Shinkai film, but my favorite film entirely.
Jul 5, 2016 12:12 PM
Sep 2015
Does she use an ayatakedai or a takadai in the movie?
Jul 5, 2016 9:14 PM

Jul 2011
I'd have to say that while I did not cry during the movie, I was pretty touched and surprised at how quickly the mood of the movie changed once things got revealed. Maybe it was because I was too busy concentrating on how beautiful and scenic the movie was, or still trying to comprehend what was happening in the story, but I had little time to cry. If I watch it again I'll probably get teary eyed. But all in all this screening made AX completely worth honestly. 9/10 movie for me, I haven't seen an anime movie I liked this much since Summer Wars. I still have some questions about the plot that only seeing the movie a second time will answer. Maybe then I'd give it a 10/10
Even Death has a heart
It's okay to spin around and around in the same place. Just so long as you're singing your heart out.
THAT's what life's all about.

Jul 8, 2016 6:26 PM

Nov 2015
Anyone know when this will come state side to a streaming site or anything?
Jul 8, 2016 8:49 PM

May 2008
Gabagool said:

Funimation plans to show it in theaters, but so far, nothing.
Jul 9, 2016 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
omg ranked #12 overall and #2 in movies.

So hyped now after the reviews. 5 cm per second is my fav movie hopefully it is even better.
I was a bit worried about the plot since animation from Shinkai was always amazing but his last two movies were a bit disappointing plotwise for me. Will have to wait until 2017 probably :c
Jul 9, 2016 7:32 AM

Nov 2015
NanoZero said:
Gabagool said:

Funimation plans to show it in theaters, but so far, nothing.

Yeah I read a short article that ended with 'look out for more news in the months to come' *sigh*

I'm dying to see this movie lol
Jul 11, 2016 4:39 AM
Feb 2016
Hey, I really want to watch it.(ToT) When this movie will be released online, I mean in streaming site.

One more thing, can you spoil me?
Jul 11, 2016 11:30 AM

Aug 2013
ShiragawaAiri said:
Hey, I really want to watch it.(ToT) When this movie will be released online, I mean in streaming site.

One more thing, can you spoil me?

It should be released on streaming sites early 2017, Feb/Mar most likely,
and be patient, it will be worth it :)
Jul 28, 2016 1:10 AM

Aug 2013
Could somebody tell me how long it is?
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 28, 2016 11:20 AM
Jul 2014
rsc-pl said:
Could somebody tell me how long it is?

It's roughly about 2 hours long. To be more exactly, it was around 1 hour and 45 minutes.
Jul 28, 2016 4:50 PM
Jan 2013
Not that I care too much about MAL ratings or anything, but 8.95 or something like that, turned to N/A, then reverted back and now 8.34. Seems legit.
Jul 28, 2016 10:05 PM

Aug 2015
FreshTango said:
Not that I care too much about MAL ratings or anything, but 8.95 or something like that, turned to N/A, then reverted back and now 8.34. Seems legit.

The moderators have been messing with the film's entry lately, and the score calculation is based on the number who have "completed" the film on their list and scored it, so it's subject to a lot of flux right now.
Aug 28, 2016 11:17 PM

Sep 2015
I was at Anime Expo and had no idea about the World Premiere. I want to kill myself now.
Aug 29, 2016 10:31 AM

Feb 2008
Just saw it tonight. Reasonably good number of people for a late show screening on a Monday night in a smaller city (...in the past I've been to late shows on Mondays where I was the only person in the theatre). The opening sequence had me wondering if I was watching another version of the trailer. After that, the rest of the film proceeded very well. I'm tempted to go see it again if it's still in the theatre here next week.
Aug 29, 2016 7:41 PM

May 2016
Haven't seen it but what is this? Freaky Friday?
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Aug 29, 2016 8:03 PM
Dec 2012
I saw it at the Anime Expo premiere, definitely my favorite from Shinkai so far. I would gladly pay to see it again, whenever funimation has screenings for it. Besides trying to find theaters they shouldn't have to do much, as the movie itself is already subbed (the premiere at AX was subbed), so hopefully it isn't too much longer.
Aug 30, 2016 8:22 AM

Jan 2014
I really envy to those who've watched the premiere.
Kuuuhh can't be help, I guess I have to wait another month or next year then. Patience patience.
Sep 2, 2016 9:55 AM

Dec 2015
I've just watched this movie at Balt 9!
The only thing I have to say is this is the best movie in 2016.
However I prefer the garden of words.

But it is still worth watching!
Sep 2, 2016 10:30 AM

Jul 2010
Just watched it earlier today! It was amazing - had me on the edge of my seat throughout, hoping the best for the 2 characters.
まさか3年ズレだったね!
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Sep 2, 2016 2:49 PM

Jul 2010
TheKillerAngel said:
FreshTango said:

The moderators have been messing with the film's entry lately, and the score calculation is based on the number who have "completed" the film on their list and scored it, so it's subject to a lot of flux right now.

That's good, but how does it work for a 1-episode anime?
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Sep 2, 2016 8:49 PM

Aug 2009
just watched in japan's theater

been one week and all the related goods were sold out of course...

it's definitely worth watching at least once... had a friend who went to watch it a second time

overall (if you watch with subs or with japanese fluency) all the info became self-explanatory and the concept is not hard to grasp, but the visuals were really what caught my eyes

it isn't stunning, but it has its great moments

might be confusing at first but finally everything will unravel and you will finally know what is going on, which increases the enjoyment a lot

9/10 well done shinkai sensei
Sep 4, 2016 7:38 PM

May 2016
when the sub ????????
I don't care
Sep 5, 2016 7:36 AM
Sep 2016
I really want to watch this movie, but I can't find an English sub version anywhere. Are there any places to see it?
Sep 5, 2016 9:41 AM
Aug 2016
Hey how good was the first episode on a scale of 1-10 and is there a sub or dub for it
Pages (28) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

adharshcs - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

» How? ( 1 2 )

phantomgamer098 - Jul 18, 2023

50 by cl3dson »»
Nov 19, 2023 9:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.