Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 23, 2016 1:18 PM

Dec 2012
Fai said:
Tiame said:
To manga readers (or anyone who might know), is referencing to other anime/manga a thing in Bungo stray dogs?

Already answered both in previous page.

Its not referencing other anime.

Then how come they are SO similar?
Karma must be a woman, men just can't be that bitchy.
Jun 23, 2016 1:41 PM

Jul 2007
Tiame said:
Fai said:

Already answered both in previous page.

Its not referencing other anime.

Literally in the first page:
Fai said:
zal said:
Good episode and I like the idea of not making a fake finale as some shows try to do with their last episode of a season even if the show is not ending.

When I first saw the boss I thought of Okabe (mc of Steins;Gate) but when the little blond girl called him Rintarou I was confused for a moment. Is this a reference in the novel too?

Ougai Mori's real life real name was Mori Rintaro. He took on Ougai Mori name latter on in his life.

Fai said:
morshuwarrior said:
I can't help but feel Lucy's ability Anne is a reference to Akage no Anne. Not just because of the name, but the hairstyle, haircolor and even the hat on the puppet... hmmmm...

Lucy M. Montgomery is the author of Anne of the Green Gables book series(which Akage no Anne is an adaptation of), so...no shit?

- Ougai Mori is called Rintaro by Elise because that's his birth name.
- Ougai Mori wears a labcoat because he is a freaking doctor.
- Anne has red hair hat and that hairstyle because its all how it is described in Montgomery's books, which Akage no Anne adapted, as part of a franchise of works adapting western literature for japanese audience.
AhenshihaelJun 23, 2016 1:45 PM
Jun 23, 2016 2:10 PM

Jun 2013
that was a really nice finale for first season can't wait for the second season
Jun 23, 2016 2:11 PM

Jun 2015
I thought Mori was Agency President (Fukuzawa) when he revealed his true self during the battle. He briefly sounded like him in my opinion. Would be a cool plot twist.

Thought the series was cool but the story confused me and only seems to be starting, definitely going to get better in the second season.
Jun 23, 2016 2:40 PM

Dec 2012
Fai said:
Tiame said:

Literally in the first page:
Fai said:

Ougai Mori's real life real name was Mori Rintaro. He took on Ougai Mori name latter on in his life.

Fai said:

Lucy M. Montgomery is the author of Anne of the Green Gables book series(which Akage no Anne is an adaptation of), so...no shit?

- Ougai Mori is called Rintaro by Elise because that's his birth name.
- Ougai Mori wears a labcoat because he is a freaking doctor.
- Anne has red hair hat and that hairstyle because its all how it is described in Montgomery's books, which Akage no Anne adapted, as part of a franchise of works adapting western literature for japanese audience.

So you're saying is he practically reused Anne's character and Rintaro just so happened to look exactly like an other Rintaro we know...
Karma must be a woman, men just can't be that bitchy.
Jun 23, 2016 4:35 PM

Jun 2015
A decent episode, the last two minutes were interesting.
Overall a pretty average show, probably only two memorable episodes for me. The characters were pretty boring, the comedy was bland and unfunny most of the time, the art/animation was nice though.

I rate it 5/10, and will probably pass on the second season unless there isn't much else worth watching.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Jun 23, 2016 6:06 PM
Aug 2013
Pretty enjoyable anime, i liked it. Boring at times but still entertaining.

Nice hearing HanaKana in the S1 finale, she did a good job as always.
Jun 23, 2016 6:41 PM

Nov 2015
Good episode, that new mafia guy is cool, I actually liked him. 8/10

Jun 23, 2016 6:48 PM

Oct 2013
Started off slow but I ended up enjoying it as pressed on. This was obviously meant to see a second season, I hope it gets one, as I am interested in the furthering of this story and progression of our main character.
Jun 23, 2016 8:01 PM

Jul 2015
Loved the references, loved it when HanaKana goes on voicing crazy mode!

Seeing how this episode went, it surely is just transitioning to the second cour!
I need more <3
7/10

Jun 23, 2016 8:14 PM

Jan 2014
Ah, this episode was great. I love these characters. Can't wait for next season!
Jun 23, 2016 8:15 PM

Dec 2009
Man that was a fantastic finale episode of the first cour of Bungo Stray Dogs. I was a little worried at what they could pull off in a single episode (Since last episode was comedy) but this definitely got me hyped for the three way battle between The Guild, The Agency, and The Port Mafia. Also I'm glad Kyouka and Atsushi are living together, they're my ship :p
Jun 23, 2016 10:10 PM
Feb 2010
Eve778 said:
Also, @Fai, thank you so much for posting all that information about the characters in this show and their real life counterparts. It may amaze you that the author of Bungou Stray Dogs has done his research, but it amazes me how you've done your research too, and are kind enough to share it with those of us too lazy to look it up on our own. Thanks again!

Yes! This speaks my mind perfectly (Y) ,thanks @Eve778 for this ✿, I always wanted to say that but couldn't find the words.

and I can't thank you enough @Fai , you're amazing,God bless you,
I really appreciate all your comments which I look forward to every episode, giving me both information and more enjoyment of the show ♥, it gave it deeper layers to what we just see from the surface,I'm more fascinated now of how this anime has been made so far,actually from the moment I knew that the characters names (and personalities \ personal traits ) are taken from famous Japanese writers in real life I was hooked, wanting to know \ watch more, as it seemed very promising to me, yer your analysis made it even better for me.
as I was too busy (or lazy *cough*) to dig much into it.

Yosh~ can't wait for the second cour
Jun 23, 2016 10:54 PM

Nov 2011
the only fight I enjoyed is the very last one
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Jun 23, 2016 11:01 PM

Jan 2014
Yes. Yes!

Atsushi and Kyouka living together! The ammo for the ship grows XD

Awesome fight! Awesome new threats established! Can't wait for season 2 :D

Jun 23, 2016 11:02 PM

Jan 2014
Yes. Yes!

Atsushi and Kyouka living together! The ammo for the ship grows XD

Awesome fight! Awesome new threats established! Can't wait for season 2 :D

Jun 24, 2016 2:47 AM

Jul 2009
The Guild's member sure are interesting, that girl had a nice power! Port Mafia's boss is amazing too, I guess Kyouka knows for sure that he is the big boss, I wonder what power the blond girl have.
Looking forward to the next season! 7/10
Jun 24, 2016 3:01 AM

Jan 2014
O_O oooh Atsushi the fear you didn't experience, cause you didn't know... The port mafia leader.. ( ゚д゚ ). There was definitely something fishy about that guy, but I didn't expect THAT. Can't wait for the second season!

My initial impression when I started watching this series, was that turning into a tiger, as an ability would be boring and repetitive, but the way they did it, with Atsushi being able to transform any of his body parts into the tigers, and use that strength was great.
Jun 24, 2016 4:21 AM

Nov 2014
Well, that was the best ep of this anime. Lucy's facial expression was truly great, and the VA is Kana Hanazawa-- as a character, this girl is a perfect one.

They're so dirty to put an exciting ep like this as a finale. Now I'm looking forward for the 2nd cour.

If only the rest of the ep was as good as this one... oh well, it's quite decent and entertaining enough so it's okay, I guess.
Jun 24, 2016 6:55 AM
Oct 2007
Definitely going to look forward to s2!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2016 8:05 AM

Jan 2014
Good thing we don't have to wait too much for the second season, I can see it will be very exciting with another side joining this battle.

when Kyouka hugged Atsuhi! so damn cute! too bad I can't ship them because of the age difference, at least I can see many funny moments upcoming.

Well, I really look forward for the second season!
Jun 24, 2016 9:50 AM

Mar 2016
Sooo Kyouka is living with Atsushi now... But how will Atsushi and Daza- ok nooo move outttttttttt kyoukaaaa
Jun 24, 2016 11:56 AM

Dec 2012
Great episode to end the first cour. The teamwork of Atsushi and Tanuzaki was cool and the new character looks interesting. I'm starting to appreciate the mafia. Can't wait for the second part !

@Fai
Thanks a lot for all the information.
Jun 24, 2016 1:06 PM

Jul 2015
Well, didn't expect people to literally disappear like that. Lucy has one heck of an ability and it made this a pretty interesting finale. The music combined with her being a total psycho and the situation had me excited, actually got chills during this battle. Was wondering about that doctor guy up until I saw Elise in color, pretty cool that they introduced him like this.

This anime was pretty dang good, though it never really had a story, more just a concept. It placed the characters in different situations to give us an understanding of the characters, their abilities, and for development without really getting anywhere major. It was like one huge introduction, so I expect a more complete story later on with the second season. I look forward to whatever could happen. Final score, 7/10 :3
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jun 24, 2016 2:44 PM

Jul 2011
El Psy Portmafaroo
Jun 24, 2016 4:30 PM

Aug 2015
That was a pretty good last episode. It's great that we're getting a second season as things are getting really interesting. I'm giving this first season a solid 7/10.
Jun 24, 2016 9:46 PM
Jun 2016
Sinceramente no começo desse anime eu até gostei, só que do episódio 10 eu desanimei principalmente quando o akutagawa perdeu a luta contra aquele atsushi, tipo nada ver, mesmo assim continuei vendo e só me arrependi mais, esse episódio 12 apelou, que negaçao, horrível nunca vi um final tão mal feito, e os fãs do akutagawa que se fodam? Assim não da pra viverr
Jun 25, 2016 1:10 AM

Jan 2013
I ejoyed this anime more than i've expected.
Good that we have a 2nd season.
Damn that scientist was so badass, and that plot twist in the end xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 25, 2016 2:10 AM
Feb 2015
that last episode was really good (even though it didnt fell like a last episode)

hyped for next season
Jun 25, 2016 8:10 AM
Dec 2012
Really enjoyed this, looking forward to s2 & the ova.
Jun 25, 2016 2:52 PM
Apr 2014
That was interesting. That guy who got caught with Atsushi and Tanizaki is more than some random dude. Wasn't that girl the one seen with the Port Mafia in the previous episode? And he stopped Atsushi just like that. I suspect he's one of the big guys of the mafia and wants to checkout who makes their buildings disappear. He might even be the boss considering the impression he made.

That end. It was so obvious :D Now I kinda wish they would have let him deal with her instead of using Tanizaki's ability.

Can't wait for next season.
Jun 25, 2016 4:48 PM

Oct 2013
I first assumed that guy was part of the Guild when he was showing off that picture and I was thinking he could be Lucys dad or something- or just in on it with Lucy, but as soon as I saw Elise I knew he was port mafia lol. Interesting to see 3 scary heads of 3 different organizations.

I personally think, in regards to the "finale", that both seasons should just have been one thing. I know they're split up due to airing time, but right now, I'm going to choose to view se 1 and 2 as a whole, so I won't really comment on the story just yet.

I will say this show has a little trouble with pacing. I really like the characters and reading about the literary allusions, but sometimes the way they are presented, along with how quick each new drama/development at times can feel either too slow, or too rushed. With everything set up the way it is, I doubt there will be time for too many slow paced/filler like episodes though. I'm looking forward to more action in character development/exposition in season 2! Se 1 feels a lot more like a setup for the next season, but I think with what was shown there is potential for some really great moments.

Overall, 6.5-7?? /10 so far. (this could change if se2 is a bust tho lol)
I couldn't think of anything cool to put here.
Jun 25, 2016 8:02 PM
Mar 2012
Hanazawa does crazy well. Hope Lucy comes back. Wonder where's that building now.
Nice season end/setup. Several characters introduced, which were previously foreshadowed mostly, without feeling chaotic.
Great art, fights & amazing osts, could've easily been 9/10 if not for first half.
Some short mystery solving was nice, but lots of very short random events, too much forced comedy that failed, weird pacing, lets-stare-at-scenery-cuz-director-got-lost, lots of random characters dying did not mix great with comedy, & how many Atsushi flashbacks with shallow backstory do we need.
Things only got interesting around ep6 Kunikida's ideal shattering arc, and got much better after Kyouka & Yosano arrived, then grew the larger picture of agency vs mafia vs guild.
Has some very strong characters I care about, quirkiness of Dazai, Edogawa, Kunikida's ideal overshadowed by pessimism & tragedy, even Akutagawa's senpai-notice-me backstory.
Jun 25, 2016 8:22 PM

Jun 2013
It was a solid, good series and had interesting characters and a great group of voice actors.

Still, overall, it felt incomplete. I'm wondering if there's a second season? I'd still watch it, if there were.

Like many have said, there was a lot of wasted potential with this one.
臭い-
Jun 26, 2016 3:20 AM

Dec 2015
Where is Kenji !? I am scared for him !!
Jun 26, 2016 7:27 AM

Oct 2013
Mori...i love the seiyu...

8/10.

This show has its combination of fun action entertainment bonds. Looking forward to s2.
Jun 26, 2016 8:19 AM
Jul 2018
5/10 ; Nothing so great. I'm not convinced to watch the 2nd cour but I'll probably will out of pure masochism just like I did with Akagami.
Jun 26, 2016 8:43 AM

Mar 2012
Exceeded my expectations, can't wait for second part.
Jun 26, 2016 11:38 AM

Jul 2007
Tiame said:

So you're saying is he practically reused Anne's character and Rintaro just so happened to look exactly like an other Rintaro we know...

All characters are based upon famous writers or characters they wrote(ex: Naomi is the titular female of Junichiro Tanizaki's " Chijin no Ai", Elise is the female character in Ogai Mori's Maihime, etc). Its not "reuse" its half the damn point of this show - its about characters based on famous literary authors and literary characters.

Saying he looks like Okabe just because both of them wear labcoats is utterly ridiculous.
Jun 26, 2016 3:37 PM

Jul 2013
What a way to end the series. With an awesome battle against an antagonist, psycho girl voiced by HanaKana of all people. Lucy is from this point best girl without any doubt. She could have appeared in the last episode, but hell if she created a big impression on me. The crazy faces and the brackets only made her even better. The Guild itself looks really cool (I liked the boss's attitude, he seems to be a big jerk, and I like him for that).

Didn't expected that random doctor to be the leader of the Port Mafia until I recognized the voice and he revealed his bloodlust to Lucy. It seems the second cour will be really cool, cannot wait for it to air.

It has been a really entertaining series. The first episodes were a bit silly and the comedy was unfitting, but once Kunikida's arc started, the series became really interesting, with the fights being more cool and the show developing some type of plot. 7/10.

neko_cola said:
heh, as a D.Gray-Man fan, I couldn't help to notice Lucy's chamber illusion looks very similar to Road Kamelot's ability. a cute and terrifying parallel place where she makes the rules.
I thought exactly the same. It even has a creepy doll in it.
IllyricusJul 22, 2016 3:47 PM
Jun 27, 2016 1:50 AM

Nov 2014
Furtive_Pygmy said:
Would a light Novel reader mind stating the abilities of the big 3? (The bosses of the mafia, agency, and guild)

I fear I'll see spoilers beyond that if I look at the wiki

i think we've seen most of the mafia and agency?

guild members are western authors so their abilities are called/based on their respective irl counterpart's name/works/etc.
Jun 27, 2016 10:07 AM

Jan 2015
The Port Mafia leader is really cool bruh !!
Jun 27, 2016 3:26 PM

Mar 2011
Fai said:
Tiame said:

All characters are based upon famous writers or characters they wrote(ex: Naomi is the titular female of Junichiro Tanizaki's " Chijin no Ai", Elise is the female character in Ogai Mori's Maihime, etc). Its not "reuse" its half the damn point of this show - its about characters based on famous literary authors and literary characters.

Saying he looks like Okabe just because both of them wear labcoats is utterly ridiculous.

And even more so because Mori is probably THE character everyone should expect to wear a lab coat given his RL self...

i think we've seen most of the mafia and agency?

Some are missing, like Q, but yeah, most of them are already in the anime.

Would a light Novel reader mind stating the abilities of the big 3? (The bosses of the mafia, agency, and guild)

I fear I'll see spoilers beyond that if I look at the wiki

Manga reader would be more fitting, but. WARNING, big Fukuzawa spoilers.

willardhwrightJun 27, 2016 3:39 PM
Jun 27, 2016 4:14 PM
Aug 2015
What can I say about Bungou Stray Dogs 12 ep? Hhm...Let me think...
1)What the hell is going on? Where is Dazai-san?
2)Lucy is awesome!!! She has just 6 favorites, what a f*ck is here?
3) Okay I love this ep and I have a hope for the continue. That is good.
4)Mori is a leader of Port Mafia. He's really badass. Ah so kakui!!!! When he said he had worried about Elise...
Also I really like the moment when all the members of Port Mafia knocked when they saw him, I thought what the hell is he? And then it was Moria the leader of Port Mafia...OOh it was so so so kakuiiii.
When I saw him at Lucy's room I thought he was enough strong not to be afraid of Lucy's Anne or he had really important person in that door, but when he stopped Atsushi-kun and gave him an advice instead of being enemies (what I have finally realized after introducing of Moria) I loved him. He wasn't really serious in the beginning, but after showing his real face and badass side, we saw him really serious.
5)Then..Where's Dazai-san?
6)Also after Dazai, Lucy became my favourite character, because of her past and personality. I can understand her that is more than the reason. And if you open my page you can see her at my list of favorite characters.
7)The last thing I want to share are my emotions:
I didn't want to finish Bungou Stray Dogs and watch last episode, because I do love this anime, but I needed. When I was watching there was some sadness in my heart that there's no continue after this episode, but when time was getting close to the end, my heart fulfilled with different emotions like Atsushi-kun don't lose, gambate!!!! After finishing this anime I couldn't watch smth new without thinking about Bungou Stray Dogs, Really I wanted to cry even now. I was trying to write smth funny like a comment of this ep, but when I got to my emotions I couldn't keep everything in myself and I opened my heart.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Don't finish Bungou Stray Dogs, please!!! I don't want to live in this dumb and useless world. Please!!! I will leave every peace of this masterpiece, every piece of these wonderful characters, every piece of these spend hours and warm memories in my heart.
AWESOME
Jun 28, 2016 12:32 AM

May 2014
Well, all in all this anime was quite enjoyable.. But I found myself getting really pissed that the plot would jump here, there, and everywhere, and this first season took soooo long to cut the bullshit and get to the point.

This episode was actually pretty cool, and I was relieved to see that it is to be continued. Atsushi really isn't a little bitch anymore and I love it.

I really want to love this series, I really do, but the pacing felt off and the characters don't feel very interesting and personable. I found myself fighting to get to the end of this anime because certain episodes were just so boring and pointless. I like that every major protagonist pretty much had their own introduction episode, but it took over time and space where they could have gotten on with the plot. At times this anime felt very slow and awful, and other times it felt rushed. confusing, and boring.

The characters don't feel very emotional and I have a hard time connecting to them and finding them lovable. I just really hope that the 2nd season can do it some justice because as it stands right now, this anime is just GOOD with no amazing redeeming qualities or lasting effect on my life, but rather, just entertaining and nothing more.

But the comedy was rather enjoyable and the I see potential in the characters and hope to see their personalities blossom.

The animation and art was very pretty and enjoyable, though I would have to say my favorite visuals this season are in Kiznaiver.

BSD kind of reminds me of how disappointed I was in Kekkai Sensen. It had a really cool premise, beautiful visuals, but the story was jumpy and iffy and it could have been so much more, though I found it entertaining. /Just good/ but nothing else. No meaningfulness or fangirling or what-not.

I may give the manga a spin in the future, but as it stands, I give Bungou Stray Dogs a 7/10 for just good. Not amazing, not groundbreaking, not genre-changing, but not /bad/ either.

I would post this in the reviews section of BSD, but i'm not exactly confident in my "professional reviewing" skills so i'll just be leaving my two cents here.

TharjaJun 28, 2016 12:40 AM
Jun 28, 2016 6:24 AM

Jul 2008
Nice way to end the first season, Elise appearing at the end pretty much spoils the mysterious man's identity as the Port Mafia leader because she was seen in the previous episode. Seeing The Guild member got killed means despite how good they are, that group is not invincible.
Jun 28, 2016 8:26 AM

Nov 2012
Can i know what manga chapter did the anime end?
Jun 28, 2016 8:41 AM

Mar 2016
Kanade- said:
Can i know what manga chapter did the anime end?

Chapter 16 is were the anime ended .
Jun 29, 2016 2:46 AM

Jan 2010
nope atsushi & kyouka ship nope nope NOTP

had some good parts and the literary references were a nice touch but some episodes were often too predictable ehh so 6/10
Jun 29, 2016 10:38 PM

Apr 2014
Well, I didn't expect they will make this good and I really enjoyed watching it.
So, I'll still watch the second season/cour and I can't wait for Fall Season this year!
Anyway, I'll rate this anime an 8 (or 9?) out 10 score overall.
As I expected from Bones Studio. But I still want Boku no Hero Academia Second Season in Fall this year too!
Haters always gonna hate.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

368 by Devonnius »»
Apr 14, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2016

191 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.