Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 22, 2016 6:48 AM

May 2014
Someone in an Indonesian forum had made an interesting theory. I'm going to translate it here

Original post

I haven't watched the anime but find this interesting (and creepy af). Is it really that creepy?

Jun 22, 2016 3:35 PM

Jan 2014
Chuunichan said:
I haven't watched the anime but find this interesting (and creepy af). Is it really that creepy?
Yeah,it is =_=

as Kuma implied by saying "You don't need to think anymore" twice in last episode...Miko is no longer a human being with her own will...She will not think and just do whatever she is said and stay in the village doing nothing till she dies
Jun 22, 2016 6:24 PM

May 2014
LoneWizard said:
Chuunichan said:
Yeah,it is =_=

as Kuma implied by saying "You don't need to think anymore" twice in last episode...Miko is no longer a human being with her own will...She will not think and just do whatever she is said and stay in the village doing nothing till she dies

That sounds... horrible.

Jun 22, 2016 6:26 PM

Jan 2014
Chuunichan said:
LoneWizard said:
Yeah,it is =_=

That sounds... horrible.
Jun 22, 2016 6:35 PM

Apr 2014
All this kind of just makes me want to watch it even more. I eat social anxiety anime up; Watamote and Aku no Hana were my shit.
Jun 22, 2016 6:51 PM

Jun 2014
It was a different ending, but not bad.
Jun 22, 2016 7:50 PM

Dec 2014
best ending ever r
Jun 22, 2016 8:09 PM

Jun 2013
Protaku said:
All this kind of just makes me want to watch it even more. I eat social anxiety anime up; Watamote and Aku no Hana were my shit.

Yeah, but in those anime it was at least presented in a somewhat serious way, a bunch of the things in this were for laughs that were just not funny.... Yoshio for example has overtaken Makoto from school days to be my most hated character..... he is the very definition of a dick.
Jun 26, 2016 8:22 PM
Jan 2016
SakurasouBusters said:
Protaku said:

Yeah, but in those anime it was at least presented in a somewhat serious way, a bunch of the things in this were for laughs that were just not funny.... Yoshio for example has overtaken Makoto from school days to be my most hated character..... he is the very definition of a dick.

Subaru from Zero is close 2nd right now
Jun 26, 2016 9:57 PM

Jun 2013
CommanderAmarao said:
SakurasouBusters said:

Subaru from Zero is close 2nd right now

He was a dick, but still redeemable imo
Jul 2, 2016 2:51 PM

Dec 2012
Great theory, I find amazing that there is an hidden dark side in a comedy. It's really make me think about the meaning of some scenes. The author made a good job
Jul 3, 2016 6:45 AM

Jan 2013
Sakaitsu said:
Great theory, I find amazing that there is an hidden dark side in a comedy. It's really make me think about the meaning of some scenes. The author made a good job

What are you talking about? This theory is irrelevant to this series as a whole and could only be applicable with the script writer deranged ideas of what he thought of the show. The author had nothing to do with the final 2 episodes. He even said he left the decision to studio and refused to look through it for approval believing they could be trust worthy but that decision back fired. Instead the ending is some creepy mockery of Machi's severe anxiety played for laughs and her dreams and development to over come this is thrown out the window. I think the script writer took his name off this show in his resume and deleted some social media account over this.

Doesn't help on his page here on MAL getting some negative posts and worthy of it: http://myanimelist.net/people/39293/Sugiura_Pierre
Jul 3, 2016 8:02 AM

Dec 2012
radle said:
Sakaitsu said:

What are you talking about? This theory is irrelevant to this series as a whole and could only be applicable with the script writer deranged ideas of what he thought of the show. The author had nothing to do with the final 2 episodes. He even said he left the decision to studio and refused to look through it for approval believing they could be trust worthy but that decision back fired. Instead the ending is some creepy mockery of Machi's severe anxiety played for laughs and her dreams and development to over come this is thrown out the window. I think the script writer took his name off this show in his resume and deleted some social media account over this.

Doesn't help on his page here on MAL getting some negative posts and worthy of it: http://myanimelist.net/people/39293/Sugiura_Pierre

OK, I understand. I haven't read the real ending, but for me this ending is interesting. It shows what happen when you overprotect someone. Even if Machi wanted and succeeded to fight her fears, it was too late for her. It's like a "bad end" in a VN.

Maybe, I missed something, but the only thing negative that the author said about this ending, is that the last speech of Yoshio was cruel.
Jul 4, 2016 4:12 PM

Jan 2013
Sakaitsu said:
OK, I understand. I haven't read the real ending, but for me this ending is interesting. It shows what happen when you overprotect someone. Even if Machi wanted and succeeded to fight her fears, it was too late for her. It's like a "bad end" in a VN.

Maybe, I missed something, but the only thing negative that the author said about this ending, is that the last speech of Yoshio was cruel.

And he declined to oversee the script as mentioned.

http://dechisoku.com/articles/62458.html
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-06-23/kumamiko-creator-remarks-on-cruel-comment-in-final-episode-script/.103547
http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/kuma-miko-ending-differs-massively-manga-original-author-hates/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4p6lk6/kuma_miko_anime_scriptwriter_deletes_twitter/

There's no reason to delete his twitter account if he did not feel some kind of way in the matter. Whatever the case this wasn't one of those shows where the author wants the viewer to ponder things since the author wasn't even involved and decided to have no say.

The ending is terrible which was a decent show since Machi alone is adorable has some characterization especially when she bounces back again and again despite the things against her anxiety which kept increasing more then before up to episode 11 hit then 12 where it dived straight down for me. Perhaps you missed the character development for Machi? Her closes supporter Natsu goes from support to the opposite side near the end. Some help here and there from the villagers throughout the series but they too are just as bad. Nothing on giving the supporting cast reason to get her to realize she is imagining things not there. She's caught between both trying to come out of her sheltered life in the village to that of a city girl and helping out the village. The way Yoshio kept doing things only made it worse and not better as she tries her best to pursue her dream while this guy thinks he's doing good by being a sacrifice for the village. Support went out the window and she broke, now instead of Natsu being there to help when he is dire need to snap her out of it his selfishness takes over by encouraging her to not think about difficult things, her dreams being one of them (the entire point of the series) and just staying in the house acting half her age while Natsu explains how the internet works (Saito-san...) with that happy ending song playing. It's all good because you're so cute Machi, thanks scriptwriter for making mockery of her anxiety and making some of us cringe and wasting our time.

Also, the director was making his first full fledged director seat for an anime instead of being his being an episode director. What a debut.
And the delusions continue with the tweet on the officlal Kuma Miko twitter https://twitter.com/kmmk_anime/status/744560880185073664
radleJul 6, 2016 8:04 AM
Jul 5, 2016 9:23 AM

Apr 2011
After seeing the low review ratings. I kinda agree with some of them. Ever since the mall scene it became hard to watch. Yoshio kept trolling Machi. It went downhill from there. Its just humiliating her and see her suffer rather than give her support to make her dreams come true.
Jul 6, 2016 7:26 PM

Mar 2012

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Social anxiety disorder is serious. But this show isn't. Yoshio is a walking textbook example of what you shouldn't do to someone with social anxiety disorder.

The whole "village revitalization" subplot was a bit tenuous early on, and got much worse by the end when the show degenerated into yet-another-idol-show, replete with the usual stage fright drama and overly eager fans.

What a shame, I had moderate expectations for the show, and it did start out well. Another anime for the pile of shows butchered by incompetent writers.
Aug 29, 2016 10:27 AM
Apr 2014
This theory is so interesting it made me like the anime even more!

I can't believe the amount of bad reviews and opinions just cause it didn't end in a "good" way lmao.
Sep 2, 2016 9:29 PM

Jul 2009
So the theory is just whether it was a curse from the gods or not?

Because everything else you described is just what happens in the anime, without it being a "hidden interpretation"; it's openly what's happening in the show.

I for one think the whole anime was lame from the very start, but it surely took a darker turn along the way.
At least with that I get to see people raging about it.

My final say is they didn't ruin a good show, they just made it bad in another way, so I don't really feel deceived.
CAMPAIGN: If you write an anime review, please make it short.
You're not a writer, Jim, I want meta-information, not a teenager's impression of a clickbait journalist.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

219 by Forum »»
Feb 29, 4:53 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

72 by Forum »»
Feb 29, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

55 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 26, 2022 10:43 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2016

63 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 24, 2022 11:07 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

92 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 16, 2022 11:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.