Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 22, 2016 9:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
LOL, no joke. Kyouko really is living with Atsushi now. I find that a bit awkward.

Interesting to see Lucy M appear in this series (voiced by none other than Kana Hanazawa!) She's got quite an ability too. The episode didn't feel much like a finale but does establish how much Atsushi has developed up to this point; always trying to save others, trying to do the right thing Intense/5

Overall a good show, had somewhat of a rocky start but really enjoyed it throughout the run. About 16 chapters adapted with at least two additional ones not from the manga. Can't wait for the second cour!
Jun 22, 2016 9:34 AM

Nov 2007
The girl is staying over the same place as main guy. Sakurai-san's character wants a list of people with special power. Red hair girl (Hanazawa-san) has power to send people to her world with her eyes. To play with Anne the Red Hair? That guy who got involved is boss of enemy who appeared as a civilian? Because the daughter he's searching is the creepy girl from last ep.

She's afraid of loneliness. The key is not normal either... After a struggle, they won with cooperation (and the boss's aura). The photo of the daughter was obvious and guessed even before the girl being afraid after seeing him and the reveal later. He began to act, though.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 22, 2016 11:09 AM

Mar 2015
So we get the introduction of a new group and we get to see a crazy girl and her doll.
The new guy of Mafia is pretty cool.

Good episode and good anime, i really enjoyed it, let's wait for the next cour now!
lezermanJun 22, 2016 11:14 AM
Jun 22, 2016 11:30 AM

Mar 2016
they adapted the fight atsushi and tanizaki vs lucy well and her voice actress is none other than kana hanazawa ! And the port mafia boss appears. It's not a finale. It's a set-up for a bigger thing in second cour . Gonna read the rest of the manga . Lmao mafia boss just chillin watching atsushi fight till he had to drop the act. What a laid back man he can be at times though for a boss . I think the writer did well with lucy's character . Kyouka so cute when hugging atsushi and dazai you troll setting them up in same room. Her face though when she saw the boss. And that brutality with the guild assassin .
9/10 . boy can't wait for the second cour for agency vs mafia vs guild .
Shishou_23Jun 24, 2016 11:07 AM
Jun 22, 2016 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
Kyouka is living with Atsushi now.

The new guy of Mafia is so cool!
Jun 22, 2016 11:34 AM

Jan 2015
That's right Atsushi. You're the one who save Kyouka, so you're the one who responsible for her now. And here comes the "Guild" people, right after they talk about it. And I suppose they're more "powerful" than the Port Mafia?
I just unconsciously holding a breath there the moment Naomi disappeared there in the middle of crowd.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jun 22, 2016 11:35 AM

Oct 2014
That was a phenomenal last ep, I wouldn't have even put this in my top 3 spring 2016 anime earlier in the season but it quickly became my favourite thanks to a wide array of amazing characters, epic fight scenes and 12 fun episodes.
Jun 22, 2016 11:38 AM

May 2015
That was a pretty decent ending to this first cour and a pretty nice episode overall to make you look forward to the next cour.

The first half of this show was kinda meh with the hit or miss comedy for me, which I disliked most of the time. The second half, however, was much better and I enjoyed it a lot more. 8/10.

Jun 22, 2016 11:42 AM

Jul 2014
Pretty good final episode that makes me intrigued to watch the second season when that comes out in October.

7/10
Jun 22, 2016 11:45 AM

Nov 2015
Great adaptation of the Lucy fight. Really excited for the next cour. Really sad I have to wait that long for the next episode lol
Jun 22, 2016 11:45 AM

Sep 2009
Holy moly the background music in most of the scenes are good, the best one being the battle in Anne's room. They really brought out the atmosphere. KanaHana voicing Lucy was a perfect fit too.

Perfect ending to 1st cour. I can't wait for the 2nd cour to start already. Will the next three months please fly past :<
Jun 22, 2016 11:46 AM

Jun 2014
Lol Francis even says "old sport" just like Gatsby did.

That fight between Atsushi/Tanizaki and Lucy was pretty intense and Lucy's insanity really added to that. I had a feeling that ex-doctor was suspicious, I assumed there was no way they would introduce him and have him play an important role in this episode only to cast him aside right after. He also seemed suspicious when he said that he's "keeping a small group of people in line." Anyway, this season got off to a slow start, probably because it was mostly about setting things up for the future, but ended up being pretty decent. 6/10, I'm sure the second season will be good!
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 22, 2016 11:47 AM

Nov 2015
velvetprayer said:
Holy moly the background music in most of the scenes are good, the best one being the battle in Anne's room. They really brought out the atmosphere.

I believe the OST releases on the 29th!!
Jun 22, 2016 11:47 AM

Oct 2012
Pretty good episode, seeing Port Mafias boss was a pretty cool way to end the cour.
The show kept getting better as it went on and I hope it can carry the momentum into the second cour in the fall. 8/10
Jun 22, 2016 11:56 AM

May 2008
Well, that's it for season one.

I actually didn't mind watching it this whole time, even if it had a rocky start. But it looks like we're getting into some really intense story arcs as we move on to the second season. I only expect some improvement from here on out.

I'm giving it a 7/10.
Jun 22, 2016 12:02 PM

Jul 2007
So this episode starts with the proper introduction of the leader of the Guild, Francis Scott Fitzgerald. A very well known English writer in real life, Fitzgerald is known for embodying the American dream within his works, but at the same time he is very well known for his racist rants about Jewish people and some less than savory comments made. So it is only fitting that the character based upon him would be rich, unapologetic and dangerous individual who looks down on everyone else and thinks he can buy everything and everyone in the world. Fitzgerald's real life behavior as a bit flamboyant quiet gentleman also fits well with such character.

Its only fitting that someone like that would get into a conflict with Yukichi Fukuzawa whose real life self is strongly based upon fighting for civil rights, known as the foundation of all that we know as Japan in the present days.

Its literally a conflict between the embodiment of American dream and embodiment of modern japan, with Fitzgerald promising to take down all of Fukuzawa's subordinates in order to take over his agency, which is a nice parallel to real life Fukuzawa having dedicated his life onto educating Japanese and giving them a chance to stand against the western imperialism invasion into japan back then.

Its also kind of hilarious that the first to be taken out is Kenji which embodies a simple-minded countryside existence, total opposite of a flamboyant rich lifestyle of Fitzgerald's writing.

Guild's threat in this episode is mainly presented by Lucy Montgomery, a character based upon Lucy Maud Montgomery - the author of Anne of The Green Gables book series. Montgomery in real life was someone who spent her childhood and teenage years alone - the author admits to have spent that time creating and interacting with imaginary friends and fictional characters she created. Which is I guess the basis of the ability of Lucy Montgomery in Bungou, as well as her obsession with not being thrown away by the Guild and not wanting to stay alone within her dimension forever.

To make things more complicated, we also finally get introduced to the boss of Port Mafia, Mori Ougai, based upon a renowned Japanese writer and ex-surgeon. Mori in his writings was someone who rejected the idea of realistic portrayal of the world and embraced focusing on human emotion and human mind, writing about personal struggles and experiences of people instead of fictional and mythological themes. Mori is an interesting writer to follow since a his progression in writing from start to finish shows Mori's slow detachment from empathy as the works grow colder and less emphatic. So it is very interesting to see that kind of be reflected in Ougai Mori in the show, who is a walking contradiction - an ex-surgeon and an inspiring leader, who now has taken up a job of making profit off murder and crime. His companion, Elise, is also based upon a character in his work Maihime, which is a tale about a japanese medical student studying in germany and his tragic romance with a local dancer Elise. Maihime is a tale about a man condemned by the system and a relationship threatened by trying to find a role within modern society. The story is rumored to be a sort of autobiography since Ogai Mori also studied in university in Germany. It does make me very interested in the show's Elise and how she is related to the show's Ogai. Either way, if we take into account the narrative of Maihime as Ogai Mori's own autobiography, Ogai is yet another author with tragedies in his life just like majority of authors that Bungou Stray Dogs based their characters upon.

In a way this mid-season finale of Bungou Stray Dogs sets up a three way conflict between three very different ideologies and groups and reveals just a bit more of Port Mafia's higher ups we have yet to see, showing us the kind of person who Dazai would have answered to back in his time in Mafia. The lower ranked cogs in the machine are nothing more than corporate suits doing their jobs they are assigned to, but what makes Port Mafia terrifying is perfectly embodied in Mori's character - a competent, collected and dangerous leader who always finds the right words and who comes off in control without needing to rely on super powers or strength. And in a way his behavior and his ability to slip into different kind of tones and behaviors is VERY reminiscent of Dazai too. It really helps to establish that what we saw of Port Mafia is just a tip of the iceberg and that Dazai in his Port Mafia years certainly was not just an exception.

This show is a freaking surreal experience to anyone interested in literature and culture(and now not just Japanese!). It really amazes me at how the author weaves in various layers within the plot that connect and reference the real life lives of those authors and their personalities and works. The show has multiple layers - on the surface you have a decent contemporary action show with great comedy. Yet inside that you have a meta-layer of how various authors, their works and ideologies interact with each other and with our world. I am not even sure I caught all of the things and references so far, because if anything, the author of this is certainly well educated in literature and knows a LOT about the writers he writes about. Bungou Stray Dogs remains a fascinating work to follow and enjoy and I for one can't wait for second cour in the fall.
AhenshihaelJun 22, 2016 1:10 PM
Jun 22, 2016 12:03 PM

Dec 2014
Interesting finale to the first season.

The guild showed up threatening the Agency, Wonder how strong they actually are.

The fight was pretty good and the Port Mafia leader seems like quite an interesting character, Hopefully there's more light shed on him in the second season.

Overall. Pretty entertaining show, Loved the characters and the action was pretty nice too. Comedy was hit or miss but mostly on the hit side for me. Looking forward to what the second season will hold.
7/10
Jun 22, 2016 12:03 PM

Dec 2015
I really enjoyed this episode, plus Mori finally makes his appearance.

Hopefully the next cour will be just as good as the first. And have another awesome OP/ED to match.

Jun 22, 2016 12:04 PM

Sep 2009
yani_senpai said:
velvetprayer said:
Holy moly the background music in most of the scenes are good, the best one being the battle in Anne's room. They really brought out the atmosphere.

I believe the OST releases on the 29th!!

Yay! I'll keep a lookout for it. Thanks for the info! :)
Jun 22, 2016 12:14 PM

Dec 2015
Just wanna say nice episode
and overall i enjoyed it
7/10.................
Jun 22, 2016 12:17 PM
Mar 2016
Wtf, that ex doc is a Port Mafia big boss?!
Jun 22, 2016 12:19 PM

Jan 2016
This was a really good final episode! X3 I can't wait for season two, in all honesty I really enjoy series like these when there is action, supernatural, dark moments, and COMEDY! That's just me though, I really enjoyed each character.

When I saw Elise from the picture and when she appeared I knew he was the leader right off the bat. Another thing is he seems a lot like Dazai in a way, not sure if they just seem similar to me or maybe they're related... Sorry if my assumption is far off, I have only seen the anime so I know nothing about the original material. Anyways, it was good, I really enjoyed watching this every Wednesday.
Jun 22, 2016 12:29 PM

Jul 2015
Pretty intense finale. Really looking forward to next season!
Jun 22, 2016 12:30 PM

May 2016
I loved the new characters and I honestly felt bad for Lucy at the end . Tbh I was kinda worried he'll take her to the agency too and he would end up living with both her and Kyouka .

BSD is definitely my favourite anime of the season and this episode was one of my favourites of the series .

And that OST tho . This show has some really great music .

So now the three month wait for the second cour begins . I'm sure it's gonna be as great as this one .

10/10 for me .
Akira193Jun 22, 2016 2:24 PM

Jun 22, 2016 12:31 PM

Jul 2014
Aw man, this was amazing! But I can't help but to wonder what happened to Akutagawa though... Maybe after he's fully healed he'll join the ADA too, you know, just like Dazai :')
Probably not but whatever, I can dream
Let's get lit!
Jun 22, 2016 12:45 PM

May 2015
Good episode and I like the idea of not making a fake finale as some shows try to do with their last episode of a season even if the show is not ending.

When I first saw the boss I thought of Okabe (mc of Steins;Gate) but when the little blond girl called him Rintarou I was confused for a moment. Is this a reference in the novel too?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2016 12:47 PM

Jul 2007
zal said:
Good episode and I like the idea of not making a fake finale as some shows try to do with their last episode of a season even if the show is not ending.

When I first saw the boss I thought of Okabe (mc of Steins;Gate) but when the little blond girl called him Rintarou I was confused for a moment. Is this a reference in the novel too?

Ougai Mori's real life real name was Mori Rintaro. He took on Ougai Mori name latter on in his life.
Jun 22, 2016 12:51 PM

Dec 2014
I was really glad that there was a season 2.... I hope this get way more better
Jun 22, 2016 12:51 PM

May 2015
Fai said:
zal said:

Ougai Mori's real life real name was Mori Rintaro. He took on Ougai Mori name latter on in his life.
Giving him a similar design to the other Rintarou was just the anime's referential choice or comes from the novel?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2016 12:54 PM

Mar 2016
zal said:
Fai said:

Giving him a similar design to the other Rintarou was just the anime's referential choice or comes from the novel?

In the manga , he looks the same as in the anime .
Jun 22, 2016 12:56 PM

May 2015
DragonSlayer_19 said:
zal said:

In the manga , he looks the same as in the anime .
Still quite funny how he seems an older version of Rintarou Okabe xD
Jun 22, 2016 12:57 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Most of the episode was interesting.....a good finale for those continuing to watch the series. I am going to bail on this one and not look back. 6/10
Jun 22, 2016 1:01 PM

Apr 2011
I really liked the irony of the guy being the Mafia's boss. I also wanted to see Kyouka actually saying something along 'T-that's...' ...oh well. It felt like the anime would continue immediately, but logical since they actually planned a two-cour. Gotta wait for fall now, umf :(
I disliked the anime at the beginning, because it seemed silly and overall fujoshi pandering without having a concrete setting, themes or story kinda anime, but I ended up quite liking it. Especially liked the action that didn't need to be always over the top and didn't have to rely on superhuman kinda powers. Excited for the second season, 7/10.
“Do you think that I count the days? There is only one day left, always starting over: it is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk.” ~ Jean-Paul Sartre
Jun 22, 2016 1:01 PM

Mar 2016
easily one of the best episodes of the season

excited for s2 now
Jun 22, 2016 1:11 PM
Jan 2016
gonna miss this one really and any news of s2 release anyone?
what is the ability of the port mafia's leader cause its so hard to understand whit its name
Jun 22, 2016 1:12 PM

Jul 2007
TouchYou said:

It has always set up as 26 episode split cour show, so the second cour will air in the fall.
Jun 22, 2016 1:14 PM

Feb 2011
I can't help but feel Lucy's ability Anne is a reference to Akage no Anne. Not just because of the name, but the hairstyle, haircolor and even the hat on the puppet... hmmmm...

Anyway, awesome episode. Overall a solid 7/10 for the whole show. It's a good show, but nothing outstanding to me.
Jun 22, 2016 1:15 PM

Apr 2015
Fine last episode to round up the first cour. Didn't really find the right motivation in this series anyway. Animation was nice so that's a plus side but other then that, pretty meh.

3.5/5 for the episode and 6/10 for the series
Jun 22, 2016 1:16 PM

Jul 2007
morshuwarrior said:
I can't help but feel Lucy's ability Anne is a reference to Akage no Anne. Not just because of the name, but the hairstyle, haircolor and even the hat on the puppet... hmmmm...

Lucy M. Montgomery is the author of Anne of the Green Gables book series(which Akage no Anne is an adaptation of), so...no shit?
Jun 22, 2016 1:18 PM

Feb 2011
Fai said:
morshuwarrior said:

Lucy M. Montgomery is the author of Anne of the Green Gables book series, so...no shit?
Oh yeah... should've probably thought of that, huh... derp. Thanks for pointing that out :)
Jun 22, 2016 1:19 PM

Jul 2015
Really enjoyed the first season. Going to watch season 2 for sure. And damn I love the ED song so much

Overall for me a 7/10. First half wasn't that good
Jun 22, 2016 1:23 PM
Jan 2016
Fai said:
TouchYou said:

It has always set up as 26 episode split cour show, so the second cour will air in the fall.

well thanks @fai for ur information

Jun 22, 2016 1:32 PM

Mar 2014
I had no idea this was already confirmed to be a 2 cour show so that's a pleasant surprise
Jun 22, 2016 1:33 PM

Nov 2014
I LOVE HANAKANA!!
Hi there
Jun 22, 2016 1:37 PM

Sep 2015
Really AWESOME episode! Bungou is my favourite spring anime, it's pretty refreshing. It had everything i like: really good characters, awesome abilities, awesome fights. Can't freaking wait for S2 maaaaaaaan!
Jun 22, 2016 1:52 PM

Aug 2015
I really liked this episode! It's a shame the middle of show wasn't as consistently good as the rest. I'd give this a 5 or 6/10.
Jun 22, 2016 2:06 PM
Jun 2016
I loved this whole season, & I can't wait for season 2 it's going to be amazing! I gave this episode a 4 out of 5 just because I thought they would make this episode a little more epic but at least we get to see The Port Mafia Leader & The Guild Association. When this show comes back for season 2 a lot of stuff is going to go down & I can't wait!!!
Jun 22, 2016 2:06 PM

Sep 2015
It's the end of the first season !
Really good anime so far (plot, art, animation, character development are all great)

HanaKana <3
I didnt't expect the "mad scientist" to be the leader tho
Jun 22, 2016 2:10 PM

Mar 2013
Just like it was in the manga, this was a rushed waste of an interesting power.

This adaptation was far too good for its incredibly poor source material... although this improved greatly from the manga, there's only so much you can do when you start with something so terrible. 4/10
Jun 22, 2016 2:24 PM

May 2015
This was a nice finale to the first cour of the show. It was cool to introduce another organization, the Guild. And the Lucy fight was really cool! Strangely, Lucy's dimension kind of reminded of the Abyss from Pandora Hearts, with how creepy it looked. It was a nice reveal when they showed the ex-surgeon was the boss of Port Mafia. It makes me really excited for the second cour.

Also, @Fai, thank you so much for posting all that information about the characters in this show and their real life counterparts. It may amaze you that the author of Bungou Stray Dogs has done his research, but it amazes me how you've done your research too, and are kind enough to share it with those of us too lazy to look it up on our own. Thanks again!
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

368 by Devonnius »»
Apr 14, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2016

191 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.