Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 10, 2015 7:45 PM

Aug 2015
Hello I saw this picture in some forums and wanted to share it here. Some people got offended and critizised the artist:

and here is an article

My question is: Why the world behaves like fanatics of the "Political Correct"?
If we aren't allowed to share our opinions (good, bad, racist, xenofobics, anything)...
megamachineOct 10, 2015 7:48 PM
Oct 10, 2015 7:46 PM

Jun 2015
we already have a thread for this in current events.
Oct 10, 2015 7:53 PM

Sep 2012
Somebody criticizing your racist and retarded fear-mongering garbage attitude, does not make you a victim of the "PC-police" or whatever delusional crap you think up of in order to victimize yourself. It makes you an asshole who got called out. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable, but maybe next time you should consider not deliberately being a piece of shit.
Oct 10, 2015 7:57 PM

Aug 2015
Red_Keys said:
Somebody criticizing your racist and retarded fear-mongering garbage attitude, does not make you a victim of the "PC-police" or whatever delusional crap you think up of in order to victimize yourself. It makes you an asshole who got called out. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable, but maybe next time you should consider not deliberately being a piece of shit.

It is not my drawing
Oct 10, 2015 8:00 PM

Sep 2012
megamachine said:
Red_Keys said:

It is not my drawing
I'm aware.

However my comment is on your persecution complex, and isn't exclusive to you or this thread.
Oct 10, 2015 8:01 PM

Jul 2012
Why does everyone keep bringing up politics?

Regardless of if its political or not peoples drawing, music, you tube videos, animations and literally Everything always has a risk offending someone.

People are easily offended and care too much about things outside of their control thats why OP.
Oct 10, 2015 8:05 PM

Aug 2015
Red_Keys said:
megamachine said:

It is not my drawing
I'm aware.

However my comment is on your persecution complex, and isn't exclusive to you or this thread.

No, I keep my thoughts to myself. I would never make what the Author did. I just posted this here because I saw It somewhere else (in Spanish) and wanted to see what people from other places thought about this.
Oct 10, 2015 8:05 PM

Sep 2009
Coolspot said:
Why does everyone keep brining up politics.

Because they're interested in it, obviously. Or because they think it will be a good laugh.

Coolspot said:
Regardless of if its political or not people drawing things always risk offending someone.

What a keen sense of observation you have.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jun 18, 2016 10:43 AM
Dec 2015
Coolspot said:

Regardless of if its political or not peoples drawing, music, you tube videos, animations and literally Everything always has a risk offending someone.

People are easily offended and care too much about things outside of their control thats why OP.

Easily offended, you say??
This is not some kitchen joke that was made here. The illustration mocks refugees, people who might have lost everything.
This isn't some political opinion, it is clearly criticizing or even degrading refugees. There are all different types of refugees: True, some of them are liars and they use their nationality to act as victims, and I personally know some of them, and there are many extremists between them too. Again, I personally know many of them.
But it seems like this artist had forgotten that a huge percentage of the refugees are actually seeking safety, or at least they're seeking the hope of restarting their lives and try to live normally: e.g. finding a job, going to school, having friends, doing things that actual, normal people do.
Since when does seeking safety and somewhat average live makes you an evil person? Does she really think that as long as they get a piece of bread and live in a muddy tent then they'll be satisfied? Remember, most of the refugees were people who had constructed their lives and lived an ordinary life like her and her children and the people around her, only to watch it get destroyed in a matter of seconds. I think it is something admirable that they actually thought of fleeing and starting from zero.
So her accusing refugees of stealing and lying is something dangerous, because there are many people who actually believe this as well, which can lead to people not accepting refugees and even hating on them. After all they've suffered, this is exactly what they need.
This isn't a harmless kitchen joke. This is a thinking that needs to be changed.
I can say I am a lucky person because I live in a city that isn't racist, and I never encountered with any person who looked at me differently just because I am a syrian refugee, but remember there are a lot of other refugees that are facing discrimination just because of who they are.
Despite that, there are people who were surprised that I am Syrian. How can I have a tablet and a laptop if I am? Aren't I supposed to be coming out of a war zone??? And those are the nice people who are just trying to understand us.
She is clearly not trying to understand us. She is clearly putting refugees together and labeling all of us as thieves, liars and greedy. She doesn't even try to understand that refugees are people too, so they are different from each other: You can find liars and theives between us, but you can also find people that actually need safety. There are the good and bad.
Of course it is needed to fight those thoughts. Of course we will take offense. This is a dangerous idea that can lead to much suffering, and she's not the only one who agrees with this idea.
Jun 18, 2016 10:51 AM

May 2016
I wish politics could only be brought up in the current event section. It's always a cluster fuck when the topic comes up. And the drawing looks much better
Jun 18, 2016 2:03 PM

Sep 2007
Sorakaa said:
I wish politics could only be brought up in the current event section. It's always a cluster fuck when the topic comes up. And the drawing looks much better
It's like people think Casual Discussion is the only place to get consistently apathetic and contentious responses.

Jun 20, 2016 8:33 PM

Jul 2012
Reee_no said:
Coolspot said:

Easily offended, you say??
This is not some kitchen joke that was made here. The illustration mocks refugees, people who might have lost everything.
This isn't some political opinion, it is clearly criticizing or even degrading refugees. There are all different types of refugees: True, some of them are liars and they use their nationality to act as victims, and I personally know some of them, and there are many extremists between them too. Again, I personally know many of them.
But it seems like this artist had forgotten that a huge percentage of the refugees are actually seeking safety, or at least they're seeking the hope of restarting their lives and try to live normally: e.g. finding a job, going to school, having friends, doing things that actual, normal people do.
Since when does seeking safety and somewhat average live makes you an evil person? Does she really think that as long as they get a piece of bread and live in a muddy tent then they'll be satisfied? Remember, most of the refugees were people who had constructed their lives and lived an ordinary life like her and her children and the people around her, only to watch it get destroyed in a matter of seconds. I think it is something admirable that they actually thought of fleeing and starting from zero.
So her accusing refugees of stealing and lying is something dangerous, because there are many people who actually believe this as well, which can lead to people not accepting refugees and even hating on them. After all they've suffered, this is exactly what they need.
This isn't a harmless kitchen joke. This is a thinking that needs to be changed.
I can say I am a lucky person because I live in a city that isn't racist, and I never encountered with any person who looked at me differently just because I am a syrian refugee, but remember there are a lot of other refugees that are facing discrimination just because of who they are.
Despite that, there are people who were surprised that I am Syrian. How can I have a tablet and a laptop if I am? Aren't I supposed to be coming out of a war zone??? And those are the nice people who are just trying to understand us.
She is clearly not trying to understand us. She is clearly putting refugees together and labeling all of us as thieves, liars and greedy. She doesn't even try to understand that refugees are people too, so they are different from each other: You can find liars and theives between us, but you can also find people that actually need safety. There are the good and bad.
Of course it is needed to fight those thoughts. Of course we will take offense. This is a dangerous idea that can lead to much suffering, and she's not the only one who agrees with this idea.

People make horrible things online all the time unfortunately I apologize for my lack of concern on the issue and am very sorry that I upset you.
AnnoKano said:
Coolspot said:
Why does everyone keep brining up politics.

Because they're interested in it, obviously. Or because they think it will be a good laugh.

Coolspot said:
Regardless of if its political or not people drawing things always risk offending someone.

What a keen sense of observation you have.

Was it really necessary to point out that I have good observation?
Jun 21, 2016 6:18 AM

Sep 2009
Coolspot said:

Was it really necessary to point out that I have good observation?

The question is not whether or not it was necessary for me to sarcastically compliment your powers of observation, the question is whether or not it was necessary for you to state the obvious. What you said is basically a truism, and doesn't really add anything to the discussion. So was it necessary for you to post it?

Similarly, was it necessary for you to bring back a topic after more than a year? I understand you wrote a rather long and involved response to someone else and I would encourage that behaviour elsewhere on the forum, but not in threads about obscure topics posted in the distant past. I cannot even recall the context of what I said to you.

It was not a serious comment, but a playful jab. Please don't take things so seriously.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jun 21, 2016 8:22 AM
May 2015

What do you expect me to say? That some people are ignorant? Including some artists?
Jun 21, 2016 8:42 AM

Dec 2015
I think this picture also could be used to criticize the media. They often - instead of trying to stay neutral - try to influence the peoples opinions. And they often use pictures of cute looking girls or dead children to get people to sympathize with refugees. (Instead of normally reporting. Also that sometimes looks as if those children in the pics were more important than other children they don't show - but they also exist and die sometimes.)

And that pic now seems a good "counter-picture" to such things. Because it is the same girl. But the message is of totally the opposite direction.
Jun 21, 2016 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
Red_Keys said:

Fear mongering? Didn't some guy kill 50 people in a gay bar last week? Could have been you that got killed.

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

669 by Hitagi__Furude »»
36 minutes ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

41 by ShimmyShimmur »»
2 hours ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by R-unknown »»
3 hours ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Today

23 by Rhaelynne »»
4 hours ago

» I got spooked by a water bottle

tsukareru - 11 hours ago

11 by Adverrito »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.