Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 8, 2016 7:02 AM

Jun 2009
mwsmws22 said:
seizonsha said:
The writing this episode was a mess...which is understandable, after the head writer disclosed that the director wants double the normal script of an anime episode.

Source? Thanks if you can.

This is an interview that Okada Mari gave for a companion book released after the start of Mayoiga. She talks about both her work on the series, general work environment and characters (the last I have excluded so far).
I think this interview sheds a little light on why this anime turned out the way it did. What do you think? Is it an excuse for the writing and pacing being quite messed up most of the time? Should we maybe treat this more as an experiment than an actual honest piece of fiction?

EDIT:
Here is the second part of the interview,

seizonshaJun 14, 2016 5:01 AM
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jun 10, 2016 11:18 PM

Mar 2009
It sounds like she just had too much to work with.
Jun 11, 2016 5:12 AM

Apr 2015
i feel bad about her...
Jun 11, 2016 7:24 AM

Jul 2011
I can't take it anymore, everything was so stupid and the anime actually trying to take itself seriously, that it isn't funny anymore, cringeworthy beyond believe! halp

Who should be blamed for this garbage?
- Mari Okada (script and series composition)?
But her writing for Gundam IBO and Ano Hana are quite good
But then there's M3 and Wixoss.......

- Tsutomu Mizushima? (Director)
We all know he's a capable director (Shirobaki, GuP, Prison School), BUT then there was BLOOD-C and Another

- Shinsuke Oonishi (Script)
Like literally who but maybe this ojii-san is the real culprit.

Whoever wrote the STORY the CHARACTER the TWIST and the OVER THE TOP FLASHBACK DRAMA REALNESS obviously has a questionable talent and to be honest mayoiga is kinda a traumatic experience for me that it has become my NANAKI and i want to avoid someone who's responsible for this mess as much as possible.
Jun 11, 2016 1:30 PM

Jul 2014
millo said:
I can't take it anymore, everything was so stupid and the anime actually trying to take itself seriously, that it isn't funny anymore, cringeworthy beyond believe! halp

Who should be blamed for this garbage?
- Mari Okada (script and series composition)?
But her writing for Gundam IBO and Ano Hana are quite good
But then there's M3 and Wixoss.......

- Tsutomu Mizushima? (Director)
We all know he's a capable director (Shirobaki, GuP, Prison School), BUT then there was BLOOD-C and Another

- Shinsuke Oonishi (Script)
Like literally who but maybe this ojii-san is the real culprit.

Whoever wrote the STORY the CHARACTER the TWIST and the OVER THE TOP FLASHBACK DRAMA REALNESS obviously has a questionable talent and to be honest mayoiga is kinda a traumatic experience for me that it has become my NANAKI and i want to avoid someone who's responsible for this mess as much as possible.

Not just one person must have contributed to this mess...

"No matter how miserable your life becomes, never let your heart become miserable as well."
Jun 12, 2016 4:02 AM

Jun 2009
Mormegil said:
It sounds like she just had too much to work with.

Reading the Japanese version really gave me the feeling that she was searching for polite ways to express her utter discomfort and lack of satisfaction with this project. It being published in a companion book she couldn't very well come out and say, this anime is no good, even if that was what she thought about it.

But seeing what a good job she is doing on the Kiznaiver writing (despite that series' shortcomings of not actually telling it's background story), one can only assume that she had, like you said, simply too much to work with and not enough time to actually put it in there.

Add to that, that I think Mizushima's approach of "having more stuff is better" is totally unfitting for a mystery series. She said that she had problems writing the characters and she herself got lost in the series' lore at points...that's not something that should happen in a series like this.
This way of "over-writing" might work for comedies very well. God knows that Mizushima produced some really good products in that department, among others one of my all time favourites "Jungle ha itsumo hare nochi guu". But in a mystery series you should concentrate on building atmosphere and planting clues around a premise that (at the end) should be quite easy to understand.
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jun 20, 2016 12:25 AM

Feb 2014
God, I feel pretty bad for her. This anime was set up for disaster before it even aired. Okada did her best in this type of situation I think...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mayoiga Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2016

412 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Feb 23, 4:17 PM

» 2 years later: what's so bad about this show?

XXXXXXXXXIII - Nov 15, 2018

16 by MeanEYE »»
Jan 15, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Mayoiga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2016

394 by Yugesai »»
Jan 9, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Mayoiga Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2016

200 by Ratris_Decision »»
Dec 7, 2023 9:53 PM

Poll: » Mayoiga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 6, 2016

303 by Ratris_Decision »»
Dec 6, 2023 4:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.