Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 8, 2016 9:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol, Dazai's trickery is so fun to watch, I love it.

Glad to see Kyouka standing up for herself a bit even though she's outmatched against Akutagawa. (she love her crepe damn it!) The big fight between Akutagawa and Atsushi heated up too and I find it quite explosive. Atsushi's determination to protect Kyouka and himself is actually quite impressive imo. Akutagawa's fighting style is really barbaric. Good episode, 5/5

Jun 8, 2016 9:33 AM

Nov 2007
Mamo's character and his ex-partner fought a bit. The main guy woke up, and that enemy torturing him. The girl trying to save him. She let him go when the team's arrived. The guy decided to go back to save her.

Main guy vs. that enemy about being strong and approved by Mamo's character. It was intense. Wow, the new character, and looks like the boss of the group!

Main guy with the boy with the hat (lol @ worst combi) next.
tsubasaloverJun 8, 2016 10:10 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 8, 2016 11:11 AM

Sep 2015
art and animation were so good this episode
I'm surprised that Atsushi could control his power during the fight (his regeneration is too op)
Jun 8, 2016 11:13 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode gave me everything that I wanted and more....

Words cannot describe how fucking GOAT this was from beginning to end and I loved every single last bit of this

And finally we got introduced to the third party who's existence kinda got spoiled for me a few weeks ago

Man I can't wait to see what happens now
Jun 8, 2016 11:17 AM
May 2010
Well I suppose the ED makes sense now :/ I feel a little bad for Akutagawa. He got what he deserved though. And that fight was so goood.
Jun 8, 2016 11:24 AM

Jan 2015
Seeing Akutagawa in action surely one thing I waited most from this Anime.

Dazai surely care about Atsushi's condition that even won't mind risking his own life just for searching the person who put the bounty over Atsushi's head.
Damn that duel surely excited. [s]It WILL be more excited if only the flashback appear not when they're having that duel/s]
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jun 8, 2016 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
The fight between Akutagawa and Atsushi was good!

Atsushi's determination to protect Kyouka and himself were quite impressive!
Jun 8, 2016 11:36 AM

May 2015
Woah, shit got real and good in this episode. I loved it. Akutagawa is really brutal, but damn, it felt good to see him smacked hard in the end. Great episode.

Jun 8, 2016 11:47 AM

Jul 2014
Great episode, now that we well and truly got the action that I was expecting from the beginning this time. Akutagawa and Atsushi are both pretty awesome in action, so I'm glad that most of the episode focused on that. Also, with an ability called "The Great Gatsby", I can tell that I'm going to hate that guy who appeared at the end.
Jun 8, 2016 11:51 AM
Feb 2016
This a great fight Atsushi's determination to protect Kyouka was respectable and that duel?

This was an intense episode Akutagawa's rage was delicious :P

But he got what he deserved in the end.
Jun 8, 2016 12:00 PM

Jan 2008
Dazai and Chuya are an amusing combination.

The fight between Atsushi and Akutagawa was good! Atsushi controlling his ability like a boss.
Jun 8, 2016 12:04 PM

Apr 2014
From now on, the storm will be coming.
Guess, we won't be able to see the big storm until season two.
Jun 8, 2016 12:10 PM

Jul 2007
Its interesting and hilarious that this whole thing pretty much played out as Dazai planned - he got into position to find out info he wanted - by setting up his previous apprentice to fight his new apprentice(thus getting Akutagawa away from himself) AND pissing off and trolling his own old partner. Dazai is THE definition of why people are scared of Port Mafia. Dazai might act like an idiot most of the time, but he so far is one of the most ruthless and dangerous people in the cast. Never EVER get on Dazai's bad side, it seems. Also he recognized who wants Atsushi? More and more interesting

Anyway, majority of episode is basically culmination of Atsushi's storyline and his issues with weakness and abandonment, which are explored via his confrontation with Akutagawa. Unlike Akutagawa who came to view the world via the lens of survival of fittest due to Dazai's training, Atsushi resolved to save the innocents and the weak, because he is one of them.

Akutagawa in real life was someone who carried a fear of having inherited a mental illness from his mother who killed herself and he was constantly psychologically threatened by his adoptive mother(which influenced his writing a lot). So it is only fitting that this fictional Akutagawa is just as fearful of his position being questioned, someone struggling with self worth. And Dazai's words cut deep and provoked him enough to drive him into whirlpool of rage and hatred, creating a conflict with Atsushi

Atsushi in story is someone who is shaped by his tragic and unhappy childhood, just like his real life self who suffered his parent's divorce and then spent quite a big portion of life wandering and traveling through Japan, China, Korea, Manchuria, etc. So its only normal that his orphanage memories and his own tragic childhood is important drive for this Atsushi too. I know its "hip and cool" here to rant about orphanage flashbacks and all, but his experiences there define Atsushi's character and path. He sees himself as weak, as someone who suffered and was worthless, but that is exactly why he is compelled to save others who are weak too. Its exactly because he is weak and people are weak, that Atsushi feels he has to be strong even past his limits for the sake of people like that. In a way, Akutagawa's ranting on the ship stands against everything Atsushi is right now, so there's no way Atsushi could ever give up against a person like that. The orphanage, all of his misery, all the weak people in the world suffering like he did - Akutagawa embodied it all in this.

We also get very nice callback with Kunikida showcasing how the events with Nobuko and his hacker protege affected him. We actually see and feel his frustration at being unable to live up to his ideals(which also explains him extremely falling back to order and chain of command in last episode). However in a way he is also proud of Atsushi - I guess in a way he sees what happened as his ideals being fulfilled - for once no innocent had to die. Which all is embodied in that last smile he has on his face as he, Atsushi and Kyoka make their escape.

On side note now I am wondering if we will get Akutagawa and Tanizaki rivalry since they did clash against each other in terms of narrative theory during their lives. Or maybe their little alley encounter is supposed to be exactly that.

Either way great episode. And some VERY nice action. Those were some VERY satisfying punches.
And now it seems we are getting F.S.Fitzgerald and surprise surprise - just like his real life self, he seems to be a little bit racist.

hlubkoj2020 said:
From now on, the storm will be coming.
Guess, we won't be able to see the big storm until season two.

Its a two cour show, so its whenever the second cour airs.
AhenshihaelJun 9, 2016 12:04 PM
Jun 8, 2016 12:28 PM

Mar 2016
Wow fuck yeah . Amazing episode . Rashomon all over the place . Good for atsushi getting a hold of his ability in critical moments . The regeneration is also handy given he's getting brutally attacked .
Dazai tipping the scales into his favor as usual lol and his teasing for chuuya reminds of how he teases kunikida . Well they were old partners. Heads up , the Guild is coming . Now port mafia , agency, and Guild . Things are gonna get messy later on . Next episode , kenji-kun intro , seems interesting. Looking forward to how the writer will relate his character to real life counterpart .
Shishou_23Jun 8, 2016 2:50 PM
Jun 8, 2016 12:31 PM

Mar 2016
LKMalika said:
Well I suppose the ED makes sense now :/ I feel a little bad for Akutagawa. He got what he deserved though. And that fight was so goood.

Yeah i said last time , the ED makes sense . Dazai pushing akutagawa away and pulling atsushi in closer . It's not a BL-ish thing lol
Jun 8, 2016 12:41 PM

Jun 2014
The fight in this episode was really damn great. This anime started off pretty average imo, but now it's gotten much better. Atsushi's healing powers are so OP, he should have been killed like 7 different times lol. That final punch he delivered to Akutagawa was so satisfying to see though. Looks like F. Scott Fitzgerald showed up at the end, but we probably won't see any significant story contributions from him until the 2nd season in Fall.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 8, 2016 12:42 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Sick fight, Atsushi's resolve is great. He and Kyouka really fit together.

Finally some Kenji, it seems.
Jun 8, 2016 12:48 PM

Apr 2015
Good episode. The action was really done well and with Akutagawa's mixed feelings of jealousy and hate, Atsushi struggles to figure out why they are intended towards him. Nice seeing how Atsushi tries so much to put Kyouka before his own self; Dazai's unwavering faith in him seems almost sweet.
Jun 8, 2016 12:54 PM

Feb 2016
Best episode ever! the action scene is truly amazing
this series is getting better
Yolo
Jun 8, 2016 12:59 PM

Dec 2014
Dazai is such afun character to watch...

the epicness in this episode... Atagawa... something fight with the were tiger was off the charts
Jun 8, 2016 1:18 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode, Fight scenes were awesome.

Dazai manipulating himself out of the death scenario was just so cool.

Akutagawa and Atsushi's fight was just amazing, Akutagawa's got one amazing ability. Literally decimating Atsushi at multiple points, If it weren't for those OP Tiger powers Atsushi would have literally been Dead meat xD

So our organization behind the scenes finally showed up.
Jun 8, 2016 1:28 PM

May 2008
Wow, 21 minutes went by so fast this week!

The Atsushi/Akutagawa fight was the most satisfying thing to see this whole episode. Two OP characters fighting one another is nothing short of exciting in a Bones show.

Damn, Dazai can get himself out of any situation, even a death sentence. He is truly a terrifying character when he's not acting silly.

Looks like we've got a F. Scott Fitzgerald in the show now. The creator really hit the mark on his character design. Good thing this is a two-cour. Otherwise, I'd be concerned he got introduced so late.
Jun 8, 2016 1:43 PM

Feb 2015
Lots of action this week, it was pretty enjoyable. Next week sees the return of the goofy comedy by the looks of things *sigh* This show is far better when it's focused on a proper storyline.
Jun 8, 2016 2:22 PM

Jun 2016
Perfect blend of comedy, action and further character development this episode.

Jun 8, 2016 2:26 PM

Jan 2014
Whoooa those punches! (⁰͉ງ⁰᷊᷅((⊂(ᵒ̴̶̷̤́ۿᵒ̴̶̷̤̀∩) felt so good. I thought there would be more reasoning behind Akutagawa's hate towards Atsushi, but it seems that it's mostly just because he got chosen as as Dazai's subordinate.
Jun 8, 2016 2:53 PM

Jan 2015
Atsushi was great in this fight !!
Jun 8, 2016 2:57 PM
Nov 2015
Akutagawa just wants to commit double suicide with Dazai.
Jun 8, 2016 3:21 PM

Sep 2014
Is it just me or is this anime progressing really really fast?
Jun 8, 2016 4:28 PM

Dec 2012
Dazai got Chuuya good there.
Akutagawa vs Atsushi. That was a good fight. Akutagawa is a savage launching all those special attacks.
Atsushi's rapid regeneration is pretty OP. That was a nice punch in the end.
Kyouka & Atsushi are safe, but a new foe has appeared.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jun 8, 2016 4:35 PM

May 2013
Run, Atsushi, Run. :D
Great episode. Akutagawa's ability from start is really cool and convenient to use in many forms, but Atsushi's ability like tiger that have seven lives.
Jun 8, 2016 4:38 PM

Jun 2015
This anime has started to improve since it first aired, but it's still fairly average overall.
A decent episode this time, but I found the fight to be a little boring, though it did look nice.
That comedy segment with Dazai was so bad.

I rate this episode. 3/5
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Jun 8, 2016 4:54 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
It only took 9 episodes and 12 minutes before Tiger Boy actually transformed and accomplished something useful on his own. The fight was nicely done, the touch of back story wasn't bad, and I skipped through the usual Tiger Boy flashback of "you aren't worth anything and just bring pain to those around you". Still it is just a 6/10
Jun 8, 2016 5:03 PM

Jul 2009
Holy...this episode was really good, both fights was great to watch.

Dazai is truly scary and quite clever, no wonder the Mafia had him and even pointed him as a future leader.
Jun 8, 2016 5:07 PM

Jan 2013
I love Dazai, this guy is so smart and badass and he never forgets to be funny xD
It seems that Ryuunosuke was destroyed by Dazai when he was a member of Port Mafia.
Who thought that Atsushi could be so powerful xD Ryuunosuke got destroyed by him

That moment when pancakes is what motivated Atsushi to fight xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 8, 2016 5:14 PM

Aug 2014
This was a shitty episode to me
Fight was meh, main character stops being a pussy and becomes a tiger (see what I did there?) WAY too suddenly
And that fight was worth nothing, it was litterally just Akutagawa owning Atsushi and Atsushi simply surviving everything because of his powers. He was destroyed in that fight, only won because he didn't die. Dazai's wrong, Atsushi isn't worth that much, and I also don't understand when this attachment to Atsushi happened, considering he's not even there half of the series... this ruined everything to me, way too forced, 1/5
Only credit goes to animation
Ruka desu.
Jun 8, 2016 5:27 PM

Nov 2015
Mascera said:
Seeing Akutagawa in action surely one thing I waited most from this Anime.

That scene made me laugh a little to be honest.

It's nice to see that we're setting up for the cliffhanger that this cour's probably gonna end in. I really don't like Fitz because I don't really care for Gatsby as a book and as I read the manga I realized that his character embodies everything about the book I didn't like. Won't spoil anything further about that though, obviously. At the same time, he makes for a great villain because of it. Pretty hype for next week.
Jun 8, 2016 5:32 PM

Feb 2016
Probably the best episode so far. I loved the fight. Atsushi's a badass!
5/5
Jun 8, 2016 5:44 PM

Apr 2014
Great fucking episode! Good fight with great animation, and we got an introduction of a new villain, Fucking love it!
Jun 8, 2016 6:25 PM

Aug 2010
(Pretty sure this is my first post on MAL, which is funny to think so, but well)

4/5 for me.
It was nicely adapted, though a bit rushed on the fight and they changed a few things which I don't really like how they changed them. It's just my personal opinion, of course, but overall it was nice enough to give it a 4/5.

I've discovered Bungou through the anime, and started reading the manga about two weeks ago, and I'm already up to date as far as the scanlations go. I think it is a more enjoyable anime if you already know what's going to happen, ALAS if you read the manga. They sometimes add more comedy where it isn't, and they change some scenes a bit. Not to mention that chapters 6 and 7 weren't actually in the manga (if they were on a novel... that, I don't know, but I doubt it), which I don't find bad at all so season 1 doesn't end halfway through the second arc.

In another note...
Fai said:
Its interesting and hilarious that this whole thing pretty much played out as Dazai planned - he got into position to find out info he wanted - by setting up his previous apprentice to fight his new apprentice(thus getting Akutagawa away from himself) AND pissing off and trolling his own old partner. Dazai is THE definition of why people are scared of Port Mafia. Dazai might act like an idiot most of the time, but he so far is one of the most ruthless and dangerous people in the cast. Never EVER get on Dazai's bad side, it seems. Also he recognized who wants Atsushi? More and more interesting

That's basically my opinion. Dazai isn't exactly strong, nor fast, and doesn't possess an ability that lets him attack. But he is probably one of the most dangerous characters, since what he lacks in physical attributes, he has it as intelligence, and can turn to his favor a lot of situations. What happened so far in the plot was pretty much planned as far as we can see, so he just needed to go accord to his own plan, but I do believe his abilities go beyond that. And this is why he is my most favourite character in Bungou, even if I don't dislike any character and find them really interesting.

With that said, I'm expecting the new chapter coming up next week, but I'm unsure on how will they follow up with the next episode beyond that one to not leave the plot in an unnecessary cliffhanger. Guess we'll just see.
Jun 8, 2016 6:39 PM

May 2015
Great episode as always! I loved Atsushi's resolve! It's been great to see him do something other than sit on the sidelines during these recent episodes. His fight against Akutagawa was awesome, although Atsushi's fast healing was kind of OP. He got stabbed so many times, and to be completely honest, I think this may be my first time seeing that much gore in anime. I tend to stay away from gory anime. Anyways, I still enjoyed it! Can't wait for next week so we can learn more about Kenji!
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Jun 8, 2016 7:07 PM
Apr 2015
this show just keeps getting better. I always like seeing Dazai's serious side. Atsushi's fight was awesome. New faction huh? two episodes left here. I'm excited for more good stuff.
Jun 8, 2016 7:38 PM
Mar 2015
It's just my impression or atshui is fucking immortal ? at least Dazai neutralize his powers... I guess..
Jun 8, 2016 7:41 PM

Jun 2013
the crazy dude is just being jelly
Jun 8, 2016 7:57 PM

Sep 2014
Akutagawa's powers are pretty damn badass. Too bad Atsushi would not stay down, that fight was badass!
Jun 8, 2016 8:17 PM
Sep 2015
I don't think this anime deserves under a 8. This episode definitely raised the bar. What an awesome fight scene this was.
Jun 8, 2016 8:18 PM

Dec 2009
Holy fuck this anime is so great
Jun 8, 2016 8:31 PM
Jul 2013
Atsushi-kun was badass

Anyway Akutagawa is kinda stupid for not aiming for Atsushi's head or decapitating him

I can't wait to see Kyouka in maid outfit xD
Jun 8, 2016 8:59 PM

Jul 2012
Krystalwitch said:

I've discovered Bungou through the anime, and started reading the manga about two weeks ago, and I'm already up to date as far as the scanlations go. I think it is a more enjoyable anime if you already know what's going to happen, ALAS if you read the manga. They sometimes add more comedy where it isn't, and they change some scenes a bit. Not to mention that chapters 6 and 7 weren't actually in the manga (if they were on a novel... that, I don't know, but I doubt it), which I don't find bad at all so season 1 doesn't end halfway through the second arc.

Episodes 6 and 7 were based on a side story in the light novel, just so you know!
Jun 8, 2016 10:04 PM

Mar 2014
Pretty good fighting action and now I do see what Atsushi can do. However I still can't bring myself to like this guy !!
Jun 8, 2016 11:34 PM

Mar 2014
So much yaoi b8 m8

I'm loving it
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

368 by Devonnius »»
Apr 14, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2016

191 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2016

203 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 11:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.