Forum Settings
Forums

New 'Cardcaptor Sakura' Anime Project Launched

New
Jun 2, 2016 10:09 AM

Jul 2009
The July 2016 issue of Kodansha's Nakayoshi magazine (pictured), which goes on sale on June 3, has announced the launch of a new Cardcaptor Sakura anime project.

The Cardcaptor Sakura manga, which was published between 1996 and 2000, is currently commemorating its 20th anniversary. As part of the celebration, mangaka group CLAMP is also launching a new Clear Card-hen serialization in the latest issue of Nakayoshi. The new series is a sequel of the original manga, which is collectively called Clow Card-hen.

Public broadcaster NHK aired the Cardcaptor Sakura anime between 1998 and 2000, and it has been re-airing the series since April on the BS Premium channel. The manga was licensed in English in North America by Dark Horse Comics, while the anime was licensed by NIS America.

Source: Mantan Web
tsubasaloverNov 27, 2016 9:30 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 2, 2016 10:13 AM

Nov 2011
Really hope they do justice with whatever they have planned for. Cardcaptor Sakura is among one of my favorite series and seeing it again getting more attention these recent weeks has been almost unbelievable.

Honestly, I hope it isn't a movie unless they really put effort into it.
Jun 2, 2016 10:13 AM

Nov 2007
No way! I cannot wait!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 2, 2016 10:14 AM

Dec 2015
A 70 episode long romance magical girls anime from 1998 gets a remake? Cool :3
Jun 2, 2016 10:14 AM

May 2011
Not surprising at all since it's their anniversary and everything. It's only fitting it gets an Anime adaptation as well. Looking forward to it.
Jun 2, 2016 10:15 AM

May 2012
I hope it is a remake, not a sequel. Because I never watched the original
Jun 2, 2016 10:18 AM

Nov 2007
thepath said:

But it's an all time classic. You may wanna give it a try. The anime starts slow and then once things start to roll, it becomes one of the greatest, if not the greatest mahou shoujo anime of all time.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 2, 2016 10:18 AM

Jul 2007
Hoo boy. And here I am still sitting.

Waiting for proper TRC adaptation for years(instead of that delirious BeeTrain alcohol-fueled try to recapture CCS that we do not talk about).
Waiting for a freaking final X chapters and resolution to that cliffhanger for over two decades...

Meanwhile CLAMP is bringing back a franchise that had a perfect end.

CLAMP pls.

Either way CLAMP anime projects are doomed(out of countless adaptations only X(despite being anime original) and xxxholic(Despite all the trc stuff being removed) were anywhere near halfway decent) so I don't expect much.

thepath said:
Robiiii said:
A 70 episode long romance magical girls anime from 1998 gets a remake? Cool :3

Most likely not a remake but the adaptation of the new forced sequel.

It would be cool to get a manga-faithful remake tho since the anime that IS is absolutely nothing like the manga and the manga goes into quite darker territories.

shanimebib said:
if not the greatest mahou shoujo anime of all time.

Sorry but unless its Princess Tutu, Utena or Nanoha, that description can't really be used.
AhenshihaelJun 2, 2016 10:23 AM
Jun 2, 2016 10:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS THE BEST YEAR EVER TO BE ALIVE
PLEASE DON'T RUIN MY THING
Baby, daijobanai...
Jun 2, 2016 10:29 AM

Dec 2015
@fai I see.
But did the anime just go original at some point, or did it skip lot of stuff from the mango? :3
Jun 2, 2016 10:31 AM

Jan 2015
I still have to watch the original one, but I'm too lazy to start watching it...
Jun 2, 2016 10:31 AM

Aug 2014
Seventh grade too old.

Will wait to see if it's actually worth reading, if it ever ends.
Sieg Zeon!
Jun 2, 2016 10:38 AM

Apr 2011
This is huge
Especially becuase it's going to be a sequel
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ 
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Jun 2, 2016 10:42 AM

Sep 2013
Hope it's by madhouse, if it isn't it's gonna be full of bad animation and budget issues.
Jun 2, 2016 10:50 AM

Nov 2014
No words to express how happy I am to hear this news >.<
Jun 2, 2016 10:51 AM

Jul 2007
Robiiii said:
@fai I see.
But did the anime just go original at some point, or did it skip lot of stuff from the mango? :3

Its more like it mix and matched various plot-points into its own story I guess. Anime played up the romance a lot more and introduced a lot of anime-original filler characters for that, while Manga focused more on sakura's own character development in terms of growing up into her own person.

Anime contains a significant amount of padding(ex: twice the amount of cards). Characterization differs too. And the last story arc is entirely different.
AhenshihaelJun 2, 2016 10:55 AM
Jun 2, 2016 10:54 AM

Dec 2015
Fai said:
Robiiii said:
@fai I see.

Its more like it mix and matched various plot-points into its own story I guess. Anime played up the romance a lot more and introduced a lot of anime-original filler characters for that, while Manga focused more on sakura's own character development in terms of growing up into her own person

Oh okay.
I dont think this will be an sequel then, coz of the original content of the 1998 animu.
Ofc I have no clue if the conclusion for both manga & anime were the same, which might change the situation :3
Jun 2, 2016 11:03 AM

Oct 2014
Sounds fun. I loved Cardcaptor Sakura so I hope this will be good too. I haven't read the Cardcaptor Sakura manga so I don't know how hard it would be to adapt the manga sequel into an anime sequel.
Jun 2, 2016 11:09 AM
Aug 2011
Sakuraaaaaaaaaa<3!

If they are going to piss on everything and slap a remake sign on it, a la Sailor Moon, it'd be very disappointed.
Despite the fillers and such, I personally prefer how the anime handled several things more elegantly than in the manga.

If it's a new project altogether then i'm interested to see what it is.

So uhh TRC remake in 2023 y/y?
standJun 2, 2016 11:15 AM
Jun 2, 2016 11:17 AM
Jun 2013
I can't wait!
http://adf.ly/1ap0E7

thanks
Jun 2, 2016 11:25 AM
Jun 2011
Fai said:
Robiiii said:
@fai I see.

Its more like it mix and matched various plot-points into its own story I guess. Anime played up the romance a lot more and introduced a lot of anime-original filler characters for that, while Manga focused more on sakura's own character development in terms of growing up into her own person.

Anime contains a significant amount of padding(ex: twice the amount of cards). Characterization differs too. And the last story arc is entirely different.
i hope it squel becouse i will like to see high school sakura it will be nice to see.
Jun 2, 2016 11:39 AM

Jan 2016
awesome can't wait! Adore itSaku x Lee
Jun 2, 2016 11:41 AM

Aug 2013
Oh boy, I really hope this turns out good.

Jun 2, 2016 11:44 AM

May 2010
NO, Clamp please your great works die and rest in peace. Cardcaptor Sakura was a childhood classic and should remain that way. Look what you did to the new Tsubasa manga, NO ONE IS READING IT.

Really don't want to see some BS card plot. If it is a few casual episodes with Syaoron and Sakura, I would be okay, but nothing dumb or forced.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jun 2, 2016 12:09 PM

Sep 2013
ichii_1 said:
Hope it's by madhouse, if it isn't it's gonna be full of bad animation and budget issues.
well..the director of the original anime is still working full time at Madhouse..so the chances are high..
Jun 2, 2016 12:26 PM

Feb 2014
Can't wait for it!!! <3 <3
Jun 2, 2016 12:37 PM

Mar 2014
Robiiii said:
@fai I see.
The anime is 70 episodes long and the manga is just 12 volumes, to give you an idea, the average adaptation covers a volume in 2~4 episodes.
The manga also has basically half the cards that the anime had.

Anyway, apparently this is about Sakura in junior highschool? For the love of god, please don't pull a Digimon Tri on me, I'll lose my shit.
Looking forward to seeing how Sakura and Syaoran's relationship is handled.
This really doesn't need a remake anyway, the anime has aged very, very well and still looks great even today.
Jun 2, 2016 12:47 PM

Jul 2007
Paulo27 said:
Robiiii said:
@fai I see.
The anime is 70 episodes long and the manga is just 12 volumes, to give you an idea, the average adaptation covers a volume in 2~4 episodes.
The manga also has basically half the cards that the anime had.

Anyway, apparently this is about Sakura in junior highschool? For the love of god, please don't pull a Digimon Tri on me, I'll lose my shit.
Looking forward to seeing how Sakura and Syaoran's relationship is handled.
This really doesn't need a remake anyway, the anime has aged very, very well and still looks great even today.

Its not confirmed that the anime project is adapting the new manga.
If it will then that will be very hard to do since the new manga most likely will tie very heavily into current events in TRC.

Also if they ever want to remake/adapt TRC, CCS kind of has to be remade

ichii_1 said:

Production IG did a great job with TRC OADs so they would be a good choice.
Jun 2, 2016 12:56 PM

Apr 2013
ichii_1 said:

^

I'm still mixed about this like with the new manga. For God's sake, though, please get someone younger for Sakura. Sakura Tange's getting to that age where she's not going to be able to imitate a squeaky young girl anymore (in fact, her voice for Chloe in Girlfriend (Kari) was atrocious). I want to be able to enjoy Cardcaptor Sakura for once without feeling the need to stab out my eardrums every time Sakura screamed "HOEEEEEEEE".
Jun 2, 2016 1:10 PM

Mar 2016
Well this is surprising and if its a sequel I hope there's a recap of some sort. I really liked this show so it's great news xD
Jun 2, 2016 1:52 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
As long as the story is good, I'm up for it. Such a nostalgic series, but it doesn't really need a sequel. Series that tie up pretty well don't usually have as good of a sequel, although I'm willing to believe. Also no long limbs please :> Oops, just re-read and it doesn't say what the anime project is. It'd be cool if it wasn't adapting the new sequel manga though. Two different projects sounds like it'd be fun.
Jun 2, 2016 2:05 PM

Nov 2008
I hope it's a sequel, no more remakes please.

Jun 2, 2016 2:18 PM

Dec 2008
Oh boy...one of my all time favorite anime and one of my favorite anime characters. Sakura is one of the most likable characters I've ever seen. This new project has me both excited and worried.
Jun 2, 2016 2:21 PM

Jul 2014
A sequel? well the manga's last chapter makes some sense now. I'm really really excited, Sakura has always been one of my favorite anime ever, it's one of the reasons I started liking anime so may years ago so please don't ruin it PLEASE DON'T RUIN IT!

Jun 2, 2016 2:24 PM

Dec 2015
If the anime is shown in parallel to the manga, it will become the new Sailor Moon... (i mean the 90s anime)

For the X complaints, it is still probably stucked atthe same point as a few years ago: the intended end won't be drawn because the publisher(s) refused it.

Xenocrisi said:
I still have to watch the original one, but I'm too lazy to start watching it...

Just read the manga, it goes to the essential.

tingy said:
Also no long limbs please.

That is a sign of the other drawing style of CLAMP, started with their boys-oriented titles (Angelic Layer, Chobits). Based on the promotional artworks , it will be their "original" style (well, a perfected version of it, since there has been some evolution between CCS and Gate7).

@robiiii Along the numerous original episodes with filler cards, the ending was changed accordingly to CLAMP's will (and this change heavily altered the "logic" of the story.
The manga is way shorter to read but someone who wants absolutely to avoid reading should at least read some chaptets around the 6or8 last ones.
Rei_IIIJun 2, 2016 2:27 PM
Jun 2, 2016 2:25 PM
Feb 2015
Hmmm hopefully they plan to make an anime for Tsuabasa Chronicles as well. I loved the OVA but was sad with how it ended D:
NoNameNoName000Jun 2, 2016 2:42 PM
Jun 2, 2016 2:36 PM

Jul 2007
-Janet said:
Hmmm hopefully they plan to make an anime for Tsuabasa Chronicles as well. I loved the OVA but what sad with how it ended D:

Unless they remake it from the beginning, while also adapting the cut xxxholic content, its impossible.
AhenshihaelJun 2, 2016 2:44 PM
Jun 2, 2016 2:46 PM
Feb 2015
That's true but it wouldn't hurt if they continue where the Ova left off. I wasn't satisfied with how it ended it didn't even explain where the real Sakura was.

I know last year Clamp wrote a short manga based on the adventures of the gang excluding Sakura but I don't think it was enough to explore the plot more into depth.
Jun 2, 2016 2:56 PM

Sep 2015
"Published between 1996 to 2000"... wow they worked ultra fast O.O Twelve volumes in the span of five years.

More Sakura (and pretty dresses) is always welcome~
Ioryogi-kunJun 2, 2016 3:29 PM
Jun 2, 2016 3:08 PM

Jun 2013
CCSAKURA is my childhood favorite.

Whatever this is, Not going to bother unless it's madhouse again with Morio Asaka supervising the project.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Jun 2, 2016 3:12 PM
Mar 2014
Since they're going through with it, Morio Asaka (and therefore Madhouse) or bust.

I still don't think it needs a sequel.
Jun 2, 2016 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
One of my favorite franchises is coming back :')
Jun 2, 2016 3:22 PM

Oct 2012
I'm fine with both remake and sequel. Can't wait for this.
Jun 2, 2016 3:35 PM

Jul 2007
eromangasensei said:

Whatever this is, Not going to bother unless it's madhouse again with Morio Asaka supervising the project.

If its remake it would not work since the tone is different.
If its a sequel, it would be sequel to manga and again, the tone is different and it connects to the ongoing stuff in trc/xxxholic so same happy-go-lucky-childrens-show tone would absolutely not work.

It could be a sequel to the anime but then again at this point absolutely nobody who would watch it has seen the original, so that is least likely possibility.
Jun 2, 2016 4:03 PM

Sep 2013
Source: http://www.anigamers.com/interviews/studio-mappa-masao-maruyama-yasuaki-iwase-otakon-2015
Ani-Gamers (David): Madhouse has produced a lot of series many would consider historic, such as Cardcaptor Sakura. How does it work when preserving production materials? ARE they preserved? (This question was mistranslated into one about bringing historic series back and making more of them.)

Maruyama: Regarding rights issues, if MAPPA were to make a new Cardcaptor Sakura, the rights would go to MAPPA, but that would be different from the original works rights that would be held by the original rights holder. That’s how we hold onto these kinds of rights. The two types of rights are commonly called the "film rights" and the "original work rights."

somthing is telling me that Mappa is taking over this..:/
Jun 2, 2016 4:19 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Best news ever in 2016.....hopefully they wouldn't mess up the artwork like what happened in Sailor Moon Crystal

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jun 2, 2016 4:42 PM

Mar 2008
I'm perfectly satisfied with the original CCS Anime and how that ended but the new sequel has me curious. Having not read the manga I haven't had a huge desire to pick it up but if the anime goes with the sequel instead of a remake I'll be very interested in checking it out.

I love CCS it's one of my favorites and I hope it still gets the same care after 20 years. So much has changed in that span it's hard to say what will happen even if Madhouse/NHK picks it up again.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Jun 2, 2016 4:42 PM

Jul 2007
malki said:

That would be the best
Jun 2, 2016 4:49 PM
ざわ・・ ざわ・・

Oct 2012
this is perfect as i'm 56 episodes into the original
Jun 2, 2016 4:56 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
malki said:
Source: http://www.anigamers.com/interviews/studio-mappa-masao-maruyama-yasuaki-iwase-otakon-2015
Ani-Gamers (David): Madhouse has produced a lot of series many would consider historic, such as Cardcaptor Sakura. How does it work when preserving production materials? ARE they preserved? (This question was mistranslated into one about bringing historic series back and making more of them.)

Maruyama: Regarding rights issues, if MAPPA were to make a new Cardcaptor Sakura, the rights would go to MAPPA, but that would be different from the original works rights that would be held by the original rights holder. That’s how we hold onto these kinds of rights. The two types of rights are commonly called the "film rights" and the "original work rights."

why that face
that would be great.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

1 by ZXEAN »»
45 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

97 by Nanaca »»
47 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

22 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.