Forums

Warner Bros. Announces Live-Action 'Fullmetal Alchemist' Film

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 24, 2016 7:49 AM

Jan 2010
Fai said:
I wonder who they will cast.

Edit: Oh its japanese cast. Talk about unfitting. THis is one story where having everyone be japanese makes zero sense.

mdo7 said:

What really surprise me that the people that attack Hollywood for whitewashing are not going after this film for "yellow-washing" (same thing happened to Attack on Titan, no accusation of yellow-washing from international fans). Also looks like Japan didn't bother to get Hollywood actors to cast them for the FMA characters.

Preach. THis is seriously rubbing me the wrong way.

Regarding the whitewashing thing, this has been the talk of the town for a while. Yes, and despite FMA being well-known in the west. Japan's film industry didn't bother getting Hollywood actors to play the characters (which would make more sense) and made this film a Hollywood co-production (compared to what South Korea and China are doing). I mean South Korea was able to get Hollywood actors for films like Snowpiercer, Operation Chromite, and Okja (although started out as a Korean film, it later become a Korean-US co-production). Same thing can be said about Mainland China like for example, Dragon Blade, and Lost in the Pacific. So you see if South Korea and Mainland China were able to afford getting Hollywood actors in their film, then Japan should've done the same too. I just don't understand.

Also I notice that Japan despite being the 4th largest film market in the world, I'm surprised that Japan has not pander to the Chinese audiences (China being the 2nd largest market in the world) the same way Hollywood has done it. I mean for the last few years, Hollywood has been pandering to China. Other big movie studio in other part of the world has also been eyeing the Chinese market for a while like South Korea for example:

Variety: Mutual Benefits Propel Korean-Chinese Co-Productions

Even India's Bollywood even knows the potential in the Chinese market:

Source 1

Source 2

Even European film studio have expressed interest into using the Chinese market:

Sino-European Production Seminar 2016: "Understanding the Chinese Market"

An optimistic outlook for Chinese-European co-productions at Berlin

I don't see Japan doing this type of pandering to China when Hollywood, South Korea, Bollywood, and European film industry have all acknowledge the potential in the growing Chinese market. So why hasn't Japan pander to China like Hollywood and other non-Hollywood movie studio are doing?
May 24, 2016 9:22 AM
Apr 2016
They are very popular actors in Japan.
How do you find ↓ ?

http://otakucalendarjapan.com/movie-fullmetal-alchemist-in-live-action-movie
May 24, 2016 9:44 AM

Aug 2014
>Live action
I have yet to see a decent one, but with an all Japanese cast idk what to expect so ehh..
May 24, 2016 9:53 AM

Apr 2011
deng... I was actually disappointed that it isn't US Warner Bros, lmfao.
May 24, 2016 10:06 AM

Apr 2010
Ugh a Japanese movie, there goes any potential this had then.
May 24, 2016 10:19 AM

Jul 2011
I already learned to not expect anything from live-action adaptations of anime
May 24, 2016 10:26 AM

Jan 2010
NotThisShitAgain said:
leetmember said:
Warner Bros? These guys can't even make a good superhero movie lately.

LOL
At least there is no MARTHA again.
I thought Warner Bros just Distributor for the movie distribution outside Japan.

No Warner Bros has a division in Japan. They were the one responsible for doing the 2006 live-action adaptation of Deathnote and it's sequel and this one.
May 24, 2016 11:28 AM

Apr 2011
My reaction to this can be summed up with this:

And to the guys saying that there are no good LA manga adaptions, I recommend you watch the RuroKen trilogy. Those were rather good.
May 24, 2016 12:33 PM

Jul 2011
Asian-washing... Legit my first thoughts. Characters are undisputedly European. Ofc next to nobody gives a shit though, since's its Japan and has a lack of white actors with sellable names anyway.

Probably one of the few series that I'd say to actually give to Hollywood so we can get the best out of effects and production value. I would want visually stunning alchemy effects and actors that look the part. Not sure why they decided to make an adaptation of FMA after so long too since there doesn't seem to be any revamps for the franchise.

Edit: 3rd sentence.
MirorinMay 24, 2016 2:39 PM
May 24, 2016 12:47 PM

May 2012
No matter if it succeeds or not, FMA's full potential can't be put into a single movie.
beep
May 24, 2016 12:59 PM

Jan 2010
Mirorin said:
Asian-washing... Legit my first thoughts.

Yellow-washing would be a better term for this situation. That's how I referred Asian-washing or Japanese-washing. You won't see this in Korea or Mainland China since they put money and effort into getting Hollywood stars to star in their films.

Mirorin said:
Characters are undisputedly European. Ofc next to nobody gives a shit though, since's its Japan and, as the argument goes, has a lack of white actors anyway.

Probably one of the few series that I'd say to actually give to Hollywood so we can get the best out of effects and production value. I would want visually stunning alchemy effects and actors that look the part. Not sure why they decided to make an adaptation of FMA after so long too since there doesn't seem to be any revamps for the franchise.

Well if South Korea and Mainland China was able to get Hollywood actors for their film. Then Japan would've done the same too. As I observed, Japan is not taking the international market seriously unlike South Korea, and Mainland China. That may explain why Japan isn't doing the same "China pandering" like Hollywood, Bollywood, and South Korea are doing despite Japan's being the 4th largest market and China being the 2nd.

I mean there are time Japan was able to get a non-Asian actors in TV drama:

Massan (first J-dramas to have a non-Japanese/non-Asian actors as leading role)

Ultraman Max (this series become noticeable because it had a non-Asian actor as a supporting character)

I mean if Japan TV show were able to get this, then they should've gotten Hollywood actors to play the characters (or do a co-production with Hollywood to make this possible).

About the production and special effect. Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it look shoddy since Japanese films even blockbuster look and feel "low-budgeted" compared to Korean and Mainland Chinese films. I mean South Korea's CGI looks top-notch like Hollywood but much cheaper then the Hollywood counterpart:

This make Japanese counterpart look way behind their neighbor.
May 24, 2016 2:32 PM

Mar 2012
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOO

Dont Fuck with this series..i know how horrid hollywood movies when it comes to anime movie adaptions dont ruin this one for fks sake.
May 24, 2016 2:39 PM

Jul 2011

Yellow washing is an equivalent, but personally, it sounds like I'm throwing urine at something so I'd rather not...

Yet Japan's gaming industry's CGI is like stunning af... maybe they should outsource the CGI to Korea in that case. I mean, they're going all the way to Italy to film it anyway. It's not uncommon to see a couple non-Asian actors in an industry (I'm thinking Hong Kong), but they're usually typecasted into minor roles, so I don't think it's realistic to make a full cast of non-Asians, especially for a relatively "minor" anime live-action movie (profit-wise). And let me reword myself a bit; there are white actors, yes, but they aren't big names in Japan and they won't sell the movie. Hiring Hollywood actors would be expensive af and it is a co-production with Hollywood, it wouldn't improve shoddy production all that much. Japan has a very domestic economy, and I think it's because it can afford to, unlike exporting (international market) based economies like China and Korea.

Turned into a bit of a rant, mb.
Also consider a profile comment so we don't spam the discussions.
MirorinMay 24, 2016 2:54 PM
May 24, 2016 2:56 PM
Apr 2016
Oh god. As long as this doesn't turn out as bad as Dragonball Sh*tlution, I'll be fine with it

May 24, 2016 3:34 PM
Jan 2016
Didn't all of this get annouced a month ago? Or is the distribution the news? Did I change world lines?
May 24, 2016 3:40 PM

Jan 2010
Mirorin said:

Yellow washing is an equivalent, but personally, it sounds like I'm throwing urine at something so I'd rather not...

By your logic, then I would argue the word "whitewashing" sound like I'm taking shower in white paint or bleach. BTW, I used yellow-washing to refer to Japan's whitewashing of non-Asian characters being played by Japanese actors and a lot of people don't seen disturbed by the way I used that word.

Mirorin said:

Yet Japan's gaming industry's CGI is like stunning af... maybe they should outsource the CGI to Korea in that case. I mean, they're going all the way to Italy to film it anyway. It's not uncommon to see a couple non-Asian actors in an industry (I'm thinking Hong Kong), but they're usually typecasted into minor roles, so I don't think it's realistic to make a full cast of non-Asians, especially for a relatively "minor" anime live-action movie (profit-wise). And let me reword myself a bit. Hiring Hollywood actors would be expensive af and it is a co-production with Hollywood, it wouldn't improve shoddy production all that much. Japan has a very domestic economy, and I think it's because it can afford to, unlike exporting (international market) based economies like China and Korea.

Actually if the live-action FMA had been a Hollywood-Japanese co-production. They would've not only got Hollywood actors to play the characters, they probably would've gotten WETA or Industrial light and magic to have done the CGI for the movie. It would've look better for the live-action FMA, and may have made fans of the anime and manga proud and probably a better reception then Attack on Titan live-action.

Also one more thing:

there are white actors, yes, but they aren't big names in Japan and they won't sell the movie.

So what, Brandon Routh (the dude who play Ray Palmer/the Atom for the Arrowverse and Legends of Tomorrow) was casted in a leading role for a Chinese film, Lost in the Pacific. Brandon Routh is not even a household name or a big celebrity in China, yet he got casted in a leading role for that Chinese film. So if Brandon Routh can be casted a leading role in a Chinese film despite not being super-famous or a household name in China, then Japan should have casted a Hollywood actor to play Ed Elric, and a actress (I think Jennifer Lawrence would fit well) as playing Winry Rockbell.
mdo7May 24, 2016 6:51 PM
May 24, 2016 3:45 PM

Jan 2010
LumpyWookiee said:
Didn't all of this get annouced a month ago? Or is the distribution the news? Did I change world lines?

Wait, where was it announced the live-action FMA happned before MAL pick up on this. Because it's the first time I've heard of a live-action FMA being done by Japan.
May 24, 2016 3:53 PM

Dec 2015
No high hopes! Will still watch it though just to pin point flaws.. LOL
May 24, 2016 7:10 PM
Jan 2016
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/29/fullmetal-alchemist-live-action-movie-announced

You guys and gals really scared me. I seriously thought that it was a Berensteinsgate thing.
May 24, 2016 7:20 PM

Jan 2010
LumpyWookiee said:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/29/fullmetal-alchemist-live-action-movie-announced

You guys and gals really scared me. I seriously thought that it was a Berensteinsgate thing.

OK, looks like a lot of anime news website missed that report. I don't know how this slip past the radar.
May 24, 2016 7:28 PM

Jul 2011
I personally just prefer Asian-washed. It gets the point across.

Taking a look at it, Lost in the Pacific is an ambitious project specifically catered to an international audience though. The leading role may not be Asian, but neither are some of the staff (who won or were nominated for the oscars). It's in English, has international distributors, and has a very "Hollywood" action premise. Also, it was recently released so we don't know how well it will sell yet (whether it is a success or not). I don't think the live adaptation for FMA intends to take that route even remotely. :/

In some respect, telling Japan to cast all Hollywood actors for FMA and doing a co production or whatnot is like telling Hollywood to do the same for a series originating from Japan though (Gits, Death Note, etc.). It's going to take a long ass time for either side to put in such "groundbreaking" effort, despite the fact that it would be more authentic and fans would likely enjoy that. (Hollywood is under a lot of fire and still isn't doing much, so...)

And I just noticed, but that's Ryoma (Kanata Hongo) as Envy and Ryuta Sato as Hughs... LOL.
Sato-san could pull off Hughs, but idk about Hongo as Envy. o.o
MirorinMay 24, 2016 7:33 PM
May 24, 2016 7:40 PM

Jan 2010
Mirorin said:

In some respect, telling Japan to cast all Hollywood actors for FMA and doing a co production or whatnot is like telling Hollywood to do the same for a series originating from Japan though (Gits, Death Note, etc.). It's going to take a long ass time for either side to put in such "groundbreaking" effort, despite the fact that it would be more authentic and fans would likely enjoy that. (Hollywood is under a lot of fire and still isn't doing much, so...)

If USA is able to co-produce films with China and South Korea, then it shouldn't be difficult for Japan to do the same. As I said, this is the same Japan that doesn't pander to China the same way Hollywood, Bollywood, and South Korea are doing.

Do you recall that Japan and Hollywood did co-production long time ago?

Long time ago, Japanese cinema were able to get Hollywood actors like for example:

Latitude Zero:

King Kong Escapes:

I can find other Japanese films from the past that had Hollywood actors and non-Japanese actors/actresses in them. So what happened to that Japan, we don't see this type of co-productions anymore today? Now when it comes Hollywood doing co-production with Asian countries it's usually Mainland China and South Korea these day.
mdo7May 24, 2016 7:48 PM
May 24, 2016 8:22 PM

Jul 2011

China and Japan have bad relations (for historical reasons), so that's not surprising. Again though, Japan's not a developing country with cheap export like South Korea and China. The economy and standing at the international level is completely different. I also don't think they're focusing their film industry on an international level unlike gaming/technology.

As for previous co-productions, perhaps that was due to post-war situations, the 1964 Olympics, and policies until the 1990s recession? There was a huge American influence during that period while Japan also began to emerge as an exporter of culture. I feel like current co-productions are more common in the gaming and/or technological industry.

However, I'm not an expert on the film industries in either country, so this is just my two cents.
May 24, 2016 8:37 PM

Jan 2010
Mirorin said:

China and Japan have bad relations (for historical reasons), so that's not surprising. Again though, Japan's not a developing country with cheap export like South Korea and China. The economy and standing at the international level is completely different. I also don't think they're focusing their film industry on an international level unlike gaming/technology.

That's not an excuse for Japan's film industry to not pander or cater to China/Chinese market. I mean USA and Mainland China have tension over the South China Sea dispute yet Hollywood still pander to China's movie market despite the tension in South China Sea. Also India-China relation is not at it's best citing the South China Sea tension and border dispute, but that didn't stop Bollywood from tapping into the Chinese market. Even China warn South Korea not to deploy a missile defense system against North Korea. Yet South Korean pop culture didn't decline in Mainland China despite these diplomatic threat.

If these countries are able to look past the diplomatic row/tension in Mainland China, and still take the Chinese movie market seriously. Then why doesn't Japan do the same?
May 24, 2016 9:43 PM

Jan 2011
no no no no no! triggering my Dragon ball z PSTD
May 24, 2016 9:57 PM
Aug 2015
mdo7 said:
Mirorin said:

If these countries are able to look past the diplomatic row/tension in Mainland China, and still take the Chinese movie market seriously. Then why doesn't Japan do the same?
Because they are called Japan for a reason.
Their industry rarely rely on international market nor do they found any need in doing so.
May 24, 2016 10:21 PM

Aug 2012
I always expect live actions to suck. So I won't have my hopes up at all.
May 24, 2016 10:29 PM

Jul 2011

Wait, are you aware of Japan-China relations? China and Japan's bad relations run much deeper than territory disputes, especially on China's side.

Although some Japanese imports (anime, cooking products, etc.) have great popularity in China as they do in all of East Asia, you rarely see Japanese actors in the Chinese film industry. South Korean actors are quite popular on the other hand. Realistically it'll probably take at least a few more decades for the Chinese and Japanese film industries to see each other in more neutral terms and work together.

Edit: Screw it. I'm not spamming a news comment section.

In reply to #81 below though: You're underestimating the resentment. The Chinese gov't also uses Japan as a scapegoat in domestic politics and films (ie. propaganda), they ain't gunna work together with Japan anytime soon in the film industry. China resents Japan more than the other political squabbling.

Japan isn't going to break all these barriers just so a measly live-adaptation of an anime past its hype gets a white cast. They don't bother to get decent English voices even, why would they reach out to Hollywood? It's be more likely for Hollywood to buy the copyright than for Japan to suddenly change its whole attitude and economic policies.
MirorinMay 25, 2016 4:40 PM
May 24, 2016 10:36 PM

Jul 2009
Illyricus said:
Also, why Winry hasn't been casted?

Due to an editing error, Winry Rockbell's actress was misattributed to Alphonse Elric. This has been corrected. The role of Alphonse Elric has not been announced.

skitzo said:
can you add the word "Japan" to make it "Warner Bros. Japan" since the title is misleading, i personally taught its gonna be a Hollywood movie adaptation lol

Warner Bros. Japan is fully owned by Warner Bros. Entertainment. The article already states Warner Bros. Japan in the first line.

LumpyWookiee said:

The movie has never been officially announced. Western outlets jumped the gun based on reports from a Johnny's (Ryousuke Yamada's agency) rumor website which could not be confirmed at the time. It's a prime example of Western outlets playing telephone with Japanese media reports, not checking the original source.
arsonalMay 24, 2016 10:44 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
May 25, 2016 6:58 AM

Jan 2010
BackgroundChara said:
Because they are called Japan for a reason.
Their industry rarely rely on international market nor do they found any need in doing so.

Well they're going to have to rely on the international market at some point because I never believe in Japan being self-sustained like everybody keep telling me. Also Japan is losing it's relevancy in global pop culture. So anime is not going to be enough to keep them relevant. They'll have to pander and cater to the Chinese market at some point following that film studio around the world are taking the Chinese market more seriously.

Mirorin said:
Wait, are you aware of Japan-China relations? China and Japan's bad relations run much deeper than territory disputes, especially on China's side.

I'm a history nerd, did you think I'm not aware of this? Also I could argue that there was a anti-Korean sentiment in China (don't forget China backed and supported North Korea during the Korean War) that did existed. Yet, Korean pop culture popularity didn't decline in China. I could argue that there is a anti-US/western sentiment in China too. I mean you might want to read these:

Forbes article

Wall Street Journal

Foreign Policy report

Yet, did that stop Hollywood from pandering to the Chinese market? No it didn't. See the problem is Japan doesn't know how to target the international market. I was told that Japan is bad at marketing. That could be one reason I could argue why Japan's film industry is not pandering to China when Hollywood, Bollywood, and South Korea are doing this.
May 25, 2016 7:04 AM

Apr 2014
Damn, the other guys are debating on Japanese/Asian Economics/Industry which is really going off topic here.
Haters always gonna hate.
May 25, 2016 7:17 AM

Jan 2010
Rayzer said:
Damn, the other guys are debating on Japanese/Asian Economics/Industry which is really going off topic here.

Well, I'm sorry if it looks like it. That was never my intention to go off topic. Actually, seeing Japan doing the live-action FMA movie by casting an all-Japanese casts really bother me rather then hiring Hollywood actors or doing a co-production with Hollywood to make this possible. One thing led to another. As I said, if South Korea and China were able to get Hollywood actors for their films, then Japan should've been able to do the same. If financial and money issues is the reason why Japan can't get Hollywood actors, why not co-produce it with a Hollywood studio? That's my issue and Japan should've known this option is open and yet Japan didn't learn anything from Snowpiercer or Dragon Blade or the Hollywood co-productions with Mainland China and South Korea.

Again, I apologize for going off topic. But it sort of relate to the Japanese film industry and one thing led to another hence why it went a bit off topic.
May 25, 2016 11:48 PM
May 2015
Waaait a minute. Hold up. Let me stop laughing.

You're telling me that in their quest for "diversity", the SJWs have whined enough to make a live action FMA movie feature an all-Japanese cast; when Edward and Alphonse are NOT Japanese and the story takes place in Europe?

So their idea of diversity is basically just "No white people" then?

That live action won't be diverse. You're just switching the race of the whole cast to something that offends you the least.

Made in Japan =/= Full of Japanese characters.

The Ghost in The Shell thing, yeah. Should be played by a Japanese actress - or at least someone of Asian heritage that can look the part.

But not every Anime takes place in Japan. Attack on Titan only has one Japanese character - Mikasa. The rest of the cast are German, British, etc. You think Spike Spiegel is a Japanese name? What about Alucard? Seras? I could go on. When a character in an Anime IS Japanese - now stay with me, I know this is an insane concept - they tend to have a Japanese name. Amazing, right?!

That moment when the source material is more diverse than the live action adaptation, and that Japanese anime creators have more diversity in their creations than the so-called "diversity" internet culture is comfortable with.
May 26, 2016 3:36 AM
Jan 2016
All-Japanese cast? That's gonna be crap... Seriously people, why do you keep doing it? On one side you have whitewashing, on the other you make crap like SnK live action... Do you just not learn from your mistakes?!
May 26, 2016 4:08 AM
Mar 2015
this would be awesome if the cast of the live action movie is reading this comments XD

live action series again :( Plsss no more
May 26, 2016 4:56 AM

Jan 2014
Pls don't be cancer
May 26, 2016 6:26 AM

Jan 2010
Trentor11 said:
Waaait a minute. Hold up. Let me stop laughing.

You're telling me that in their quest for "diversity", the SJWs have whined enough to make a live action FMA movie feature an all-Japanese cast; when Edward and Alphonse are NOT Japanese and the story takes place in Europe?

So their idea of diversity is basically just "No white people" then?

That live action won't be diverse. You're just switching the race of the whole cast to something that offends you the least.

Made in Japan =/= Full of Japanese characters.

The Ghost in The Shell thing, yeah. Should be played by a Japanese actress - or at least someone of Asian heritage that can look the part.

But not every Anime takes place in Japan. Attack on Titan only has one Japanese character - Mikasa. The rest of the cast are German, British, etc. You think Spike Spiegel is a Japanese name? What about Alucard? Seras? I could go on. When a character in an Anime IS Japanese - now stay with me, I know this is an insane concept - they tend to have a Japanese name. Amazing, right?!

That moment when the source material is more diverse than the live action adaptation, and that Japanese anime creators have more diversity in their creations than the so-called "diversity" internet culture is comfortable with.

Well you're not alone, I think these people that cry whitewash in Hollywood but never complain when Japan does the same I think they could be nothing but weeaboo or Asian suprmacist that are complaining about it.

I mean I've seen people attacking Hollywood for remaking Asian stuff but yet these same people never complain (or stay silent) when Japan, South Korea, or China remake Hollywood films at all. I mean nobody attacked South Korea when they remake the Good Wife or doing a remake of Entourage. So yeah, this make me question if double standard exist when Asian and US remake each other.

Askorti said:
All-Japanese cast? That's gonna be crap... Seriously people, why do you keep doing it? On one side you have whitewashing, on the other you make crap like SnK live action... Do you just not learn from your mistakes?!

They never learn anything from Snowpiercer or Dragon Blade. Although these 2 are not from Japan, but at least South Korea and Mainland China know about diversity then Japan. I mean this is the same Japan that casted a non-Japanese leading actor for a TV show but can't get a white actor or afford Hollywood actors for a film that require non-Asian actors.
May 26, 2016 7:10 AM

Sep 2011
Warner Bros? Why are they making this in Japan when it's set in a pseudo-Western Industrial Revolution environment? Just makes more sense to make it in the West to me.

Any case, I won't be watching it. I really don't see how FMA Brotherhood can be improved AT ALL.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
May 26, 2016 7:14 AM

Jan 2010
GodlyKyon said:
Warner Bros? Why are they making this in Japan when it's set in a pseudo-Western Industrial Revolution environment? Just makes more sense to make it in the West to me.

Any case, I won't be watching it. I really don't see how FMA Brotherhood can be improved AT ALL.

This is the same Japan that had Japanese actors playing white characters in Attack on Titan, and had Japanese actors playing Romans in the live-action Thermae Romae. As I said, Japan didn't learn anything from Snowpiercer and Dragon Blade or the recent co-production that Hollywood been doing with Mainland China and South Korea.
May 26, 2016 1:33 PM

Sep 2011
mdo7 said:
GodlyKyon said:

This is the same Japan that had Japanese actors playing white characters in Attack on Titan, and had Japanese actors playing Romans in the live-action Thermae Romae. As I said, Japan didn't learn anything from Snowpiercer and Dragon Blade or the recent co-production that Hollywood been doing with Mainland China and South Korea.

Japan is a very insular society so that explains it. Sigh. Oh well, let's this burn.

Dragon Blade had JACKIE CHAN in it?? Wow!

That Thermae Romae should've just had a white-looking actor actually acting in Japan. LOL. It could have even been unintentionally good.
May 26, 2016 2:13 PM

Jan 2010
GodlyKyon said:

That Thermae Romae should've just had a white-looking actor actually acting in Japan. LOL. It could have even been unintentionally good.

So I take it you haven't follow Jackie Chan for quite a while. Also I just stumbled upon this:

No white people will star in the ‘Fullmetal Alchemist’ movie, and that’s a beautiful thing

This article reek of weeabooism and implied Asian supremacy when I read this. I don't see any major outrage or controversy about the "yellow-washing" controversy for the live-action FMA on the same level when Hollywood does a whitewashing controversy.

Luckily this article: Fusion Writer: No Whites in Movies Is ‘A Beautiful Thing’

really brought up the double standard issue although I wasn't comfortable with what this author said:

However, for the movie, the cast will be comprised of solely Japanese actors. Which I am okay with, because it’s being produced by Japanese film-makers, being released in Japan, and was created and written in Japan by a Japanese man.

Well I told the author about Snowpiercer, Dragon Blade, and Lost in the Pacific is proof that films from Mainland China and South Korea can get Hollywood actors and said that Japan should've learned from this. if finance and production was an issue, then have the film co-produce with Hollywood.
May 27, 2016 11:51 AM
Dec 2014
Fuck this shit. Why anime needs a movie adaptation is beyond me :(

Doesn't matter ofcourse I'll never see it anyway.
May 27, 2016 3:05 PM

Nov 2014
No thanks. I have zero interest in seeing Edward Elric played by a Japanese pop idol.
May 28, 2016 1:42 PM
Mar 2008
I love that a lot of the people in this thread assume that the majority of anime characters are white because they don't exhibit stereotypical asian traits.

Mixed-race people exist. Light-skinned people of color exist. Hair dye/bleaching exists. People exist in locations where their culture and/or race didn't originate. People have eyes and hair that don't match the stereotypes (such as the Kalash people of Pakistan, with light skin, blue/green eyes, and occasional blonde hair). People have names that aren't stereotypical for their race/culture because of immigration, or because their parents liked the name, or even because they chose it later in life for some reason.

Full Metal Alchemist takes place in a European environment, yet characters and the culture exhibit little behaviors that are distinctly Japanese. Could I see the characters being white? Sure. But I also think it's very likely that they're Japanese considering it was made in Japan and we tend to view characters in our media as like 'us,' unless they're exaggeratedly 'other.' And that's a good part of why we assume they're white.

If you've ever seen someone in a subbed anime give directions to a tourist, you've probably heard the awful accent the foreigners have, even though they often have around the same color of skin - or occasionally a very ugly-looking or obnoxious character will be a foreigner (usually a guy). That's the anime way of saying 'these people are obviously not Japanese.'

Knowing all this, I'm kinda surprised at all the fuss about them being Japanese.
May 28, 2016 2:35 PM

Sep 2011
mdo7 said:
GodlyKyon said:

So I take it you haven't follow Jackie Chan for quite a while. Also I just stumbled upon this:

No white people will star in the ‘Fullmetal Alchemist’ movie, and that’s a beautiful thing

This article reek of weeabooism and implied Asian supremacy when I read this. I don't see any major outrage or controversy about the "yellow-washing" controversy for the live-action FMA on the same level when Hollywood does a whitewashing controversy.

Luckily this article: Fusion Writer: No Whites in Movies Is ‘A Beautiful Thing’

really brought up the double standard issue although I wasn't comfortable with what this author said:

However, for the movie, the cast will be comprised of solely Japanese actors. Which I am okay with, because it’s being produced by Japanese film-makers, being released in Japan, and was created and written in Japan by a Japanese man.

Well I told the author about Snowpiercer, Dragon Blade, and Lost in the Pacific is proof that films from Mainland China and South Korea can get Hollywood actors and said that Japan should've learned from this. if finance and production was an issue, then have the film co-produce with Hollywood.

What the author wrote was a little extreme I think. I think he or she was looking at the movie from the perspective of not-whitewashing the world. I don't know if it'd create more believable pieces or not, but changing society's opinions is a good thing.

Honestly, I'm grasping at straws here. I think if it's a good movie with dialogue and story, it will be good. Co-Producing movies with Hollywood might've been the better choice here.
May 28, 2016 3:01 PM

Jan 2010
GodlyKyon said:
What the author wrote was a little extreme I think. I think he or she was looking at the movie from the perspective of not-whitewashing the world. I don't know if it'd create more believable pieces or not, but changing society's opinions is a good thing.

Honestly, I'm grasping at straws here. I think if it's a good movie with dialogue and story, it will be good. Co-Producing movies with Hollywood might've been the better choice here.

I don't put my hope up for the Japanese Live-action adaptation given Japanese films not being as good or can hold candle compared to their South Korean and Mainland Chinese counterpart. Well my point of the post on this topic is that: People in the US show double standard when it comes to whitewashing and yellow-washing.

When Hollywood whitewash Asian characters=Social outrage and calling for anti-Hollywood boycott and hate.

When Japan "Yellow-wash" white characters from a manga=nobody in US show similar controversy about it and it doesn't raise the same controversy like Hollywood whitewash.

So yes this indicate double standard and possible Asian supremacy amongst the "whitewashing critics". This is the same type of double standard/hypocrisy when Hollywood remade Asian films and yet people stay silent when Japan, South Korea, or China remake Hollywood films. This person I remember a few years ago made this statement regarding Unforgiven Japanese remake:

>America remakes Japanese film: "OMG ITS GONNA SUCK"
>Japan remakes American film: "OMG AWESOME"

What is this I don't even.

This person was right, and I see the same thing when it comes to whitewashing and yellow-washing.
May 29, 2016 12:12 AM

Jul 2007
aikaflip said:
No thanks. I have zero interest in seeing Edward Elric played by a Japanese pop idol.

He will also be 20 because the director felt kids are boring.
And the movie will have CGI everywhere because the director felt that CGI is the future of all filmmaking.
Also since its such an action blockbuster, entirety of plot will be covered in single movie.

Literally trainwreck.

foozlesprite said:
I love that a lot of the people in this thread assume that the majority of anime characters are white because they don't exhibit stereotypical asian traits.

Mixed-race people exist. Light-skinned people of color exist. Hair dye/bleaching exists. People exist in locations where their culture and/or race didn't originate. People have eyes and hair that don't match the stereotypes (such as the Kalash people of Pakistan, with light skin, blue/green eyes, and occasional blonde hair). People have names that aren't stereotypical for their race/culture because of immigration, or because their parents liked the name, or even because they chose it later in life for some reason.

Full Metal Alchemist takes place in a European environment, yet characters and the culture exhibit little behaviors that are distinctly Japanese. Could I see the characters being white? Sure. But I also think it's very likely that they're Japanese considering it was made in Japan and we tend to view characters in our media as like 'us,' unless they're exaggeratedly 'other.' And that's a good part of why we assume they're white.

If you've ever seen someone in a subbed anime give directions to a tourist, you've probably heard the awful accent the foreigners have, even though they often have around the same color of skin - or occasionally a very ugly-looking or obnoxious character will be a foreigner (usually a guy). That's the anime way of saying 'these people are obviously not Japanese.'

Knowing all this, I'm kinda surprised at all the fuss about them being Japanese.

Its based on motherfucking Germany. The eastern character cast that exists in FMA is DISTINCTLY different from European cast. Any mixed race characters are indicated and technically are unlikely since hello Amerstris is basically nationalistic nazi germany - hell, anyone from xing stands out narrative-wise because of how asian they are and because amerstris people are unused to other races. Any asian culture influences in writing of the european cast are there because of the writer's limited scope not because it is intentional. Stop justifying this washjob of a movie.

Next thing you know, people will start claiming that Baccano characters are actually Japanese.
AhenshihaelMay 29, 2016 12:17 AM
May 29, 2016 12:28 AM
Mar 2008
Fai said:

foozlesprite said:
Could I see the characters being white? Sure. But I also think it's very likely that they're Japanese

Its based on motherfucking Germany. The eastern character cast that exists in FMA is DISTINCTLY different from European cast. Any asian culture influences in writing of the european cast are there because of the writer's limited scope not because it is intentional. Stop justifying this washjob of a movie.

I never said they were Japanese, just that it was possible. And the movie's going to be in Japanese, yeah? In that case it's probably done more out of necessity than anything. There are only a handful of white actors that are fluent in Japanese, much less suitable looks-wise.

And I'm not positive it's going to be a good movie by any means. But I'll reserve the amount of judgment I've seen all over the place until I actually see the thing.
May 29, 2016 8:52 AM

Apr 2014
@foozlesprite,
As we said it should be a co-production with Hollywood so it would be in English and be a lot better. Just GTFO of m8.
Haters always gonna hate.
May 29, 2016 9:06 AM

Jan 2010
Rayzer said:
@foozlesprite,
As we said it should be a co-production with Hollywood so it would be in English and be a lot better. Just GTFO of m8.

Yes, fully agreed. I mean look at the upcoming Hollywood co-productions from South Korea (ie: Okja from Bong Joon-Ho), and Mainland China (ie: The Great Wall). This is what I expected the Japanese producers to have done the same thing since South Korea and Mainland China proved that.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

15 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 1:39 AM

» 'Fruits Basket' Creator Launches New Manga

Hyperion_PS - Sep 2, 2023

20 by KeyboardBunny »»
Apr 14, 8:04 AM

» 'Kijin Gentoushou' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo, Summer 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Feb 22

6 by JackAward »»
Apr 13, 1:07 PM

» Voice Actress Mutsumi Tamura Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Apr 1

15 by CrackedYolk »»
Apr 12, 10:50 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

23 by infanf »»
Apr 12, 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.