Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 22, 2016 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol cosplay?

I think this show is trying to explore the social life of Machi and Natsu in every way possible.
Machi was strange to watch this episode. Hibiki still badass as usual at that grocery store :D
Stark700May 22, 2016 10:39 AM
May 22, 2016 10:48 AM

Jan 2015
I guess Natsu's ability to catch fish become dulled after playing with the Technology all the time, huh? LOL
Aside that plum and dried bonito, I wonder how that cold water-rice taste is plainly. Cold Soba maybe pretty "normal", but cold rice?
Machi seems like trapped into some kind of forced labor. And yeah, it really looks like The Little Match Girl story.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
May 22, 2016 10:59 AM

Apr 2014
I was laughing throughout the entire nameko scene XD

Machi and her struggles LOL

May 22, 2016 11:16 AM

Nov 2014
Humiliating people with severe social anxiety is funny?

What happened to this show? The first two episodes were so good.

3/5
May 22, 2016 11:37 AM

Jan 2015
Machi looked so desperate and afraid......damn so cuteeeeeee <333333.....Natsu didn't had much screen time :/ ....still ppl downrates this show to much....I know this show isn't perfect, but still 7.04 ~ WTFFFFF????
May 22, 2016 11:51 AM

Nov 2015
The first half was generic stuff for the show but they really stepped it up by putting Machi in the toughest challenge yet.

The supermarket half was the best the makers showcased Machi's serious issue of social anxiety. Her cry for help was so much pain to see, damn that Yoshio (he must be planning something at the end).

But the second really did good with the humor and adding Hibiki to the mix really helped for the week's fun.
May 22, 2016 11:51 AM

May 2015
The faces of the people in the supermarket, lol. That was sure something XD. Fun and enjoyable episode.

May 22, 2016 12:20 PM

Mar 2014
I have same experience as machi to work for the first time lol i can feel that anxiety.
May 22, 2016 12:29 PM

Jul 2015
Lol those images in the background when Machi was struggling in the supermarket. Yoshio clutched it lmao
May 22, 2016 12:36 PM

Aug 2010
Man Machi's way too adorable. I just feel like I want to protect her. And her voice (esp the grunts) are toooo f***n cute <3

I was totally thinking of the Little girl with the match during that scene. So heart breaking.
May 22, 2016 12:37 PM

Sep 2015
I felt those Tomoko vibes!
May 22, 2016 1:03 PM

Mar 2013
alright the first half made me hungry (so much so that I had to pause the video and make myself a sandwich and then compared it to the food they were eating and cried a little because I can make good food) the second half actually made me laugh quite a lot. Machi was so cute during the second half and hibiki has returned (sort of) I don't know why but when hibiki started "helping" machi I couldn't help but laugh and want more. machi finally being able to say the words that were so hard for her to say and the old people's reactions was both touching and hilarious. the lack of natsu in this episode is upsetting might only be me though.

I might be the only one but does anyone else think machi is at her cutest when she's really trying as well as whenever she's crying. also I didn't notice until my friend pointed it out but were they focusing a little on machi's feet during the beginning by the river?
May 22, 2016 1:17 PM

Nov 2015
too much desperate
May 22, 2016 1:30 PM

Feb 2015
a pretty good episode overall.
man, i kinda felt the despair in the second half somehow xD
and when Machi shouted, that scene reminds me of some scene from Kami nomi zo shiru sekai, the nerd girl when she shouted "baka..........!" xD but Machi shouted it in a despair way xD

the cooking in the first half was great xD made me hungry. thks for the recipes btw LOL XD
May 22, 2016 1:56 PM

Jun 2013

Am I a sadist in enjoying Machi go through this turmoil just to be happy she made it (somehow) in the end? Or do I just love her helpless moe side too much? These are the important questions that come to mind when watching this show.

I wouldn't mind a Machi nendoriod. Hell I would preorder the concept art just to ensure its going to happen.
May 22, 2016 1:59 PM

Oct 2014
Whoa Hioka Natsumi's voice work this episode is world class! <3
I mean: she has always been great as Machi throughout the series, but this episode just tops it all.

Beautiful work! Well done!
May 22, 2016 3:30 PM
Apr 2015
Revvie-chan said:
Whoa Hioka Natsumi's voice work this episode is world class! <3

Makes me wonder how one can fake such a pitch.
May 22, 2016 3:39 PM

Oct 2013
This was so well done that the supermarket scenes were painful to watch. I felt bad for her, but at the same time it was hilarious, especially how Machi's imagination exaggerated the situation.
May 22, 2016 4:00 PM

Jan 2015
Whateverlife said:
too much desperate
What subs are those? This is what Horriblesubs says and I think this ones correct...
May 22, 2016 4:05 PM

Jan 2012
Wooooooooow did Yoshio ever scum Machi this week! XD Natsu seriously needs to maul his ass already, I've waited long enough!

Poor Machi, her inability to speak loudly in public was very relate-able. She's been hurt too much!
May 22, 2016 4:29 PM

Oct 2013
animefan8800 said:
Wooooooooow did Yoshio ever scum Machi this week! XD Natsu seriously needs to maul his ass already, I've waited long enough!

Poor Machi, her inability to speak loudly in public was very relate-able. She's been hurt too much!

I was hoping Machi would slug Yoshio in the gut again.
May 22, 2016 5:09 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
I don't think that Machi is ready for Tokyo quite yet....lol. 8/10
May 22, 2016 6:10 PM
Aug 2014
aikaflip said:

3/5
to some extent I agree. It's already passed mid point and the everyday life comedy should be toned down in favor to more origin stories like how did she become a miko,and here parents whereabouts. Another thing, we need more Hibiki/
May 22, 2016 7:42 PM

Nov 2008
That episode was so on the mark; some people are born to be in Sales, others should stay as far away as possible!
May 22, 2016 11:03 PM

Nov 2013
Eh, I thought Natsu was bad at cooking, he had a rather hard time cooking in ep 6. Has he mastered cooking in the gap of 1 ep already? lol.
aikaflip said:

3/5

What I don't like about Kuma Miko is that mostly this series revolve only around other characters bullying or harassing Machi, and usually Machi is just a helpless girl that can't do anything. Would be nice if Machi could overcome every challenge with her own power. Still a pretty fun watch though.
May 23, 2016 3:17 AM

Nov 2012
oh great, more machi bullying. not sure how this is supposed to be funny :/
May 23, 2016 6:33 AM

Jan 2011
I feel sorry for Machi, but damn that scene at the Supermarket was so hilarious! Especially those customer faces haha xD

May 23, 2016 6:57 AM
Apr 2015
oh god this just proves that I relate to Machi's social awkwardness on a spiritual level. orz

I get those too. the internal imagination of people making stuff against me. I really liked the first half, but the second...
May 23, 2016 3:04 PM

Apr 2015
People still have to discover Machi's delicious food!
May 23, 2016 3:58 PM
Dec 2009
aikaflip said:

Yeah I think this show is taking Machi's "innocence" or "country-side-ness" way to extreme. I just feel bad for her, it just seems like her upbringing has lead to her to have extreme social anxiety and she probably needs help. :(
May 23, 2016 5:06 PM

Mar 2009
This show is extremely mean to Machi.
May 23, 2016 6:04 PM
Jul 2018
The entire nameko scene was hilarious!
May 24, 2016 8:09 AM

Jul 2015
Aaaaaahhhhhh I hate Yoshio...

This anime is seriously making me feel bad about Machi with every episode, her life is so hard for her. Hibiki is mean, but she is a hell of a lot more likable than Yoshio is, and she helped in her own, excessively violent way. Seriously though, I feel like the old lady towards the end of the episode. Seeing Machi like that hurt me on a physical level.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
May 24, 2016 9:09 AM

Mar 2012
The super market scene was just as bad and uncomfortable as that pinning down scene in episode 3. Machi is constantly getting violently harassed and bullied. Some of the jokes work, but god damn, that shit aint funny.

May 24, 2016 10:34 AM

Apr 2015
Thought she was afraid of electronic kitchenware?

Frustrating episode...to say the least. Both Machi and the circumstances...and that horrible blonde is back...shit
May 24, 2016 5:19 PM

Mar 2015
aikaflip said:

DuoraDoll said:
Aaaaaahhhhhh I hate Yoshio...

This anime is seriously making me feel bad about Machi with every episode, her life is so hard for her. Hibiki is mean, but she is a hell of a lot more likable than Yoshio is, and she helped in her own, excessively violent way. Seriously though, I feel like the old lady towards the end of the episode. Seeing Machi like that hurt me on a physical level.

QFT
I could feel Machi's pain in the supermarket. :'(
I know that feeling of not being able to speak up oh so well... Just watching someone forced to go through that hurts me on the inside. I'm talking "Put me out of my misery!" levels of mental pain here...
May 24, 2016 7:56 PM

Nov 2008
I'm feeling no sympathy for Machi at all because she is deliberately supposed to be the target of the jokes in this series. This is a comedy, not a romance or "feel good" show.

On the cynical side, look at the set up - Machi is a 14 or 15 year old who acts like and demands to be treated like an eight year old. Yoshio is doing exactly the right things by putting Machi into situations where she has to step up to life or fail. Because she choses to fail, we laugh.
May 24, 2016 10:06 PM

Mar 2016
Wait I thought this episode was gonna feature Jennifer Lopez -_-
No seriously.
May 25, 2016 12:42 AM

Jan 2015
LOL the second half was hilarious
May 25, 2016 2:51 AM

May 2016
hithummah said:
aikaflip said:

3/5
to some extent I agree. It's already passed mid point and the everyday life comedy should be toned down in favor to more origin stories like how did she become a miko,and here parents whereabouts. Another thing, we need more Hibiki/

I agree hithummah, it would be nice to gain some insight as to how and why Machi was taken in under the care of her grandma and Yoshio. As far as her becoming a miko, I think that came about because of her grandma as briefly explained in the episode where she performs kagura.
May 25, 2016 3:26 AM

May 2014
She really isnt good at social situations
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
May 25, 2016 9:36 AM

Oct 2010
dbaranyi said:
I'm feeling no sympathy for Machi at all because she is deliberately supposed to be the target of the jokes in this series. This is a comedy, not a romance or "feel good" show.

On the cynical side, look at the set up - Machi is a 14 or 15 year old who acts like and demands to be treated like an eight year old. Yoshio is doing exactly the right things by putting Machi into situations where she has to step up to life or fail. Because she choses to fail, we laugh.

I greatly disagree.

I disagree because I have aspergers. This episode, and the one with Village Vanguard basically confirmed to me that Machi has aspergers. Intentionally? Maybe not. Maybe they just thought it would be funny to make her struggle so much socially...but either way the result was that her anxiety and stress...her reactions, match mine almost perfectly. She also takes things super literally, another thing that a lot of people with aspergers do. The fact that she seems only capable of talking to people she's been around before is another factor. Thinking back, the episode she went out with Hibiki and knew literally EVERYTHING about the store.....that's another thing people with aspergers often do: We'll struggle talking to strangers...but if something we can nerd-out about comes up, we don't shut up. She did that perfectly when it came to that store lol.

It matches so perfectly, it would be an amazing coincidence if it was accidental. So for that reason, I greatly disagree with your statement. Yoshio is doing exactly the WRONG thing for her. Throwing people into a fire is not the best way to deal with it. Some people are literally incapable of doing certain things, and never will be. If Machi was a real human, I'd honestly put her stress levels at such a high degree that I'd say she might not make ever be able to do things like retail. For a lot of people, even just ordering food from strangers can be a lot of stress. She might need real professional help rather than people just making her mental health worse.
KougeruMay 25, 2016 9:40 AM
May 25, 2016 9:59 AM

Jan 2016
My God!
It looks like I'm watching "Welcome to the NHK" all over again! Unmistakable cocktail of dread, despair and sickened horror in the form of comedy. I like it!
May 25, 2016 10:30 AM

Aug 2013
Zemroid said:
Whateverlife said:
too much desperate
What subs are those? This is what Horriblesubs says and I think this ones correct...

マチはいいよ(お?)嫁さんに慣れるね

Edit 2:
In second thought, Funi's translation is more accurate (but still not 100% correct) IN THIS CASE.

Natsu definitely doesn't mean this (Please be my wife), he is not asking her for that and it's obvious liberalized mistranslation.

I would translate it as
Machi, you will be able to become a really good wife. (Idk if it's 100% correct English sentence btw, it's not my primary language)
rsc-plMay 25, 2016 11:02 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
May 25, 2016 4:05 PM
Dec 2010
The first half was funny and entertaining, just how I like this show, but the second part was just cringeworthy, and Yoshio needs to be pushed off a cliff. First forcing her to sign something by bending her over a table, and then forcing her into a tough situation without giving her any help beforehand? He's just a massive POS.
May 25, 2016 7:14 PM

Nov 2011
second half triggered me
poor machi...
Baby, daijobanai...
May 25, 2016 7:49 PM

Jan 2013
Poor Machi...
Those history pictures that appeared with Machi were so funny xD
Natsu can't even catch a fish ahaha xD
This anime is great but i think they are forcing some parts with Machi, mostly Yoshio parts...
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 26, 2016 9:46 PM

Dec 2009
Poor Machi...I love this show but man its tough seeing her put through these situations. I have social anxiety myself and can't talk with people I don't know well, so this was painful to watch.
May 27, 2016 7:13 AM

Nov 2011
More than fun, I found the scene Machi selling mushrooms at the grocery store, a horrible and terribly anxious thing, I do not like this type of comedy. ^^"
I seem to watch a show where people applaud, when participants, are mocked and insulted by the chef on duty or otherwise; no thanks ! I do not like. D:
But I liked the scenes that were shown as examples behind the tribulation of Machi. Drawings and animations, very good, I enjoyed the first part of the episode and the intervention of Hibiki, who knows what work is, it would be fun to see her work, ASD!
Toshio can not stand it, I'd kick your ass.
May 27, 2016 11:52 AM

Jul 2009
LOL poor Machi it was true suffering to work hahaha
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

219 by Forum »»
Feb 29, 4:53 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

72 by Forum »»
Feb 29, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

55 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 26, 2022 10:43 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2016

63 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 24, 2022 11:07 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

92 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 16, 2022 11:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.