Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 11, 2016 2:03 AM

Oct 2013
Hey everyone =)

I want to ask you all why so many people dislike the show. If you go to the review section, there are many 5/10 or lower reviews

Could someone explain me in few sentences why people dislike the show? (please not in a book form like all the reviews)

Is it because Evangelion is too deep for them? Or is it because they don't understand the psychology and the philosophy?

Actually, I love Evangelion. I love it because of the Action, of the psychology and of the philosophy. The characters are fantastic and the story itself is a masterpiece.

I rewatched the series and movies quite many times, and the last two episode of the anime (episode 25 and 26) like 14 times and it doesn't get bored. When I watch Evangelion I often see myself in these characters or other peoples.
I totally can relate with Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Misato and everyone
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 11, 2016 2:13 AM

Sep 2015
Gave it a 4/10 myself. Didn't hate it, but it didn't appeal to me overly much.

- First half of it was just a regular monster-of-the-week deal. Nothing really special there. I didn't like nor dislike it.

- Asuka. I absolutely despise her. I actually put NGE on hold for several months because I became completely sick of every second she spent on screen. Berating and abusing Shinji at every single opportunity for absolutely no reason whatsoever just because "QQ I'm stressed out" made for a fuckin' awful character.
By taking her tsundere-ism to such ridiculously extreme lengths I feel it had the opposite effect of portraying the stress she was under. Rather than being a nice person with a sad backstory and the weight of the world on her shoulders, Asuka was just a cunt.

- Episode 20 nearly gave me a seizure.

- The last two episodes. Well, more specifically, the way the very last episode ended. I had nothing against the way the last two episodes were (although they could have done it in one episode, IMO ) but having those episodes followed by "congratulations" and lots of clapping made me feel like I'd been trolled. It's like there was meant to be a last episode but they forgot about it and just left things up in the air.
(I'm aware there are movies which end the story, but I wasn't into Eva enough to want to bother watching them).

- The really heavy-handed themes. I know it's been said a lot of the symbolism was used just because they thought it was cool, but it just made me laugh when I saw explosions taking on the forms of crosses. It was ridiculously forced and in-your-face.

- A lot of it flew over my head. I was somewhat confused at what was actually happening in the last 6-8 episodes, with all the different organisations, people, and interested parties. I could just be an idiot So that impeded my potential enjoyment too.

So as far as I'm concerned, I didn't think it was bad. I just didn't really see any particular reason to like it either. I could tell that it was very different to your regular highschool mecha anime, but being different doesn't automatically make it good.
I had it as a 5/10 (which for me denotes average; I didn't feel strongly either way) but dropped it to a 4 after the last two episodes. That clapping ending was just lol.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 11, 2016 2:15 AM

Jul 2015
the plot was boring
tsundere + pussy mc
Mar 11, 2016 3:20 AM

Oct 2013

Thanks for the answer! It helped me a lot!

The clapping scene at the end was really wtf and lol xD
Mar 12, 2016 8:02 AM

Aug 2015
I personally loved the show and its obviously my favorite but I can totally see why people can dislike it.
It is slow paced(even though the cinematography compensate on the pacing)
The animation is a bit dated(even though its style is still iconic)
The budget problems(even though they still made a great job with it)
The stupid "Christianity symbolism" that haters brag on(even though it doesnt affect the show)
The characters that the show didnt expect you to like
The "WTF" ending (that can bring the conventional mind set to confusion)
The complex(yet subtle) story
The deep overall meaning(that some people just dont get)
All of those reasons are what many dislike in the show and I can totally understand if you give it a 5/10 or whatever... Its just wasnt your cup of tea. Its not like the show is underrated and doesnt has it own recognition in the community so I really dont care.
Mar 12, 2016 8:10 AM

Mar 2016
I didn't rated it too low cause I kinda liked the plot. I hated the animation even though both are old, dbz have much better animation then Evangelion. Beside that MC was a bitch/wimp/selfish kid, I literally wanted to drop the show on first episode but carried on.
Mar 20, 2016 8:23 PM
Jan 2011
Team Shinji 4Ever. Get at me. Honestly, I think that people believe that Evengelion being a mecha show precludes it from ever straying too far from that macho image. Anno's evangelion is actually a very human tale that happens to be set in a world where the unbelievable and the inconceivable is possible. People are far too used to the macho character who fights evil and gets all the girls. We end up putting high expectations on our characters to deliver entertainment and get frustrated when they don't. Sure Shinji didn't hook up with Asuka or Rei, and never felt confident stepping behind the wheel of Eva-01, but if you try to balance the fate of the world on the shoulders of a single 14 year old, you have to take his feelings into account. As I said, characters like Goku or Naruto who constantly get stronger over time have molded people's opinions and explications on seeing the MC rise to the occasion. The single-minded response of "just get stronger" works in the Shonen setting, but never in real life. I think people used to these shows believe that beating the problem over the head is the best way to solve it. However, if the problem is intangible or mental, such as depression or fear of failure, how can you hope to beat that which you cannot see? Shinji is one of the most real and tangible characters in any anime, and his struggle with his father, his friends, his fate, and himself represent human emotions we all have. Sometimes we have to carry the weight of others upon our shoulders, and no one can fault us for getting cold feet when the time comes.

I think ultimately, the hatred of Evangelion stems directly from its popularity as a show combined with the misconceptions people have going in. It is billed as "the best Mecha" so I think people expect a show with all the stereotypes I mentioned above. If you come in with the wrong impression, you will be waiting with baited breath for something you will never see. Its definitely something you can't just start watching. It took me 4 1/2 years to get into the right mindset to see this. You have to understand what it is before you start. Come in willing to think and you will be rewarded greatly. Come in expecting any old Mecha, however, and you end up hating the show.
Mar 20, 2016 8:30 PM

Nov 2008
Three main reasons people hate it are:

1. Shinji "for being a wimp"

2. Asuka "for being a bitch"

3. Pretentiousness.

I don't hate EVA; I think it's become an essential and irreplaceable classic part of Japan's culture. I mean, it is huge. If you go to Tokyo, you will see what I mean. lol

Apr 23, 2016 12:51 PM
Aug 2015
I personally believe that someone who has never felt depressed at least once during their lifetime won't be able to understand/enjoy Evangelion.
Apr 23, 2016 1:19 PM

Aug 2015
On_the_Lam said:
I personally believe that someone who has never felt depressed at least once during their lifetime won't be able to understand/enjoy Evangelion.

You need to have "low" moments in your life in order to appreciate the "high" moments!
Apr 27, 2016 8:54 AM

Apr 2009
It's because they love loli and moe.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2016 8:58 AM

Apr 2010
Bcuz Hideaki doesn’t want to work on 3.0+1.0.
May 6, 2016 11:21 AM

Mar 2016
because is 2deep4they
ERrorMACro18May 6, 2016 11:44 AM
I want to talk with people who likes good animes, the 2deep4u animes, spanish too , 4ever evangelion and monogatari
May 6, 2016 11:36 AM

Oct 2015

A picture speaks a thousand words. That said, I don't *hate* evangelion, in fact I thought EoE was a good movie, it's just that it is more of a monster of the week show that turns into a brief exploration of the depression Hideaki Anno was feeling at the time of directing it. Also, the ending of the tv series was a mess. I get what happened in it, it's just that it was presented in the most questionable and silly way possible.

I would prefer if he didn't get depression and kept directing stuff like gunbuster.
May 6, 2016 11:39 AM

Dec 2012
NGE was the type of the series that I immediately regretted watching after finishing.

I didn't even hate it. Didn't feel any sort of investment towards and just found it dull. I kinda don't get why it's even controversial in the first place.
May 6, 2016 11:41 AM

Nov 2014
ERrorMACro18 said:
because is 2deepthey
Yes, it is so deep that Cameron want's to explore it.

May 6, 2016 11:44 AM

Mar 2016
ExTamplier said:
ERrorMACro18 said:
because is 2deepthey
who is cameron "0_0
I want to talk with people who likes good animes, the 2deep4u animes, spanish too , 4ever evangelion and monogatari
May 6, 2016 11:44 AM

Oct 2015
ExTamplier said:
ERrorMACro18 said:
because is 2deepthey

This is what I see in my head every time someone says that evangelion is "deep" or "too deep for you".
May 6, 2016 11:45 AM

Nov 2014
ERrorMACro18 said:
ExTamplier said:
who is cameron "0_0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepsea_Challenger
Lobinde said:
ExTamplier said:

This is what I see in my head every time someone says that evangelion is "deep" or "too deep for you".
If I would show you what I see everytime I see a comment "What I see om my head when someone says it is 2deep4u" I would get banned.

May 6, 2016 11:47 AM

Mar 2016
ExTamplier said:
ERrorMACro18 said:
who is cameron "0_0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepsea_Challenger
excuse my ignorance senpai
May 6, 2016 12:26 PM

Oct 2012
well people are free to like/hate whatever they want. liking a series is all about timing. watch the right thing at the right time and the impact is greater. (pun intended)

also, I'm just gonna leave it here because it's an interesting read about the historical background:

May 6, 2016 12:30 PM

Jan 2013
Moniisek said:
well people are free to like/hate whatever they want. liking a series is all about timing. watch the right thing at the right time and the impact is greater. (pun intended)

also, I'm just gonna leave it here because it's an interesting read about the historical background:
Some of that is half truths with some shitposting in the mix.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 6, 2016 12:34 PM

Oct 2012
Cabron said:
Moniisek said:

well, yeah, it's 4chan. I thought it wasn't that bad. left it here for people who might be very bored on the internet.

May 6, 2016 12:35 PM

Nov 2015
Because slightly slow-ish pacing and "lol look at dat beta pussy MC so pathetic lolol".
Also don't forget dated art and animation.

You'd think that they'd hate it for legit reasons but nope.
However some of the people in the above posts do dislike it for actual valid reasons tho. And I kinda feel them on that..
May 6, 2016 12:41 PM

Jan 2013
Moniisek said:
Cabron said:

well, yeah, it's 4chan. I thought it wasn't that bad. left it here for people who might be very bored on the internet.
Pretty good.

Just pointing that out, since some folks might actually believe the whole thing.

May 7, 2016 4:42 AM

Mar 2016
Lobinde said:
ExTamplier said:

i think in that picture ever xD
May 7, 2016 4:46 AM

Apr 2013
Because it's not battle-shounen.
May 7, 2016 4:52 AM

Jan 2009
i bet its because Shinji the main character is pathetic and it gets annoying for viewers to connect with him emotionally, a lot of people even in real life hate emotionally weak people

but he did not bother me and i still enjoyed the show a lot, its one of my childhood anime
May 15, 2016 10:48 AM

Apr 2015
I like it, especially the last two episodes.

if I have to say what I dislike in this show, its:
-Monster of the week method are somewhat boring
-1 minute scene on the some later episodes
-Acyka
May 15, 2016 1:13 PM

Mar 2016
GesuYarou said:
Because slightly slow-ish pacing and "lol look at dat beta pussy MC so pathetic lolol".

However some of the people in the above posts do dislike it for actual valid reasons tho. And I kinda feel them on that..

Those are legit reasons though .They say nothing about the overall quality of the work but they're legit nonetheless .If a person doesn't like a "beta/whiny MC" even if he has a lot of depth to him then ,that's that .They might not have valid criticisms but they have to right to dislike it nonetheless .

On_the_Lam said:

How depressed are we talking about here ?
May 15, 2016 1:23 PM

Jan 2013
Because you mustn't run away, sadly that's what a lot of folks are doing.

May 15, 2016 1:32 PM
Aug 2015
TheDeadApostle said:
On_the_Lam said:

Existential crisis, losing the will to live because they've unlocked the secret of life, which is purposelessness.
May 15, 2016 7:51 PM

Nov 2015
TheDeadApostle said:
GesuYarou said:

Those are legit reasons though .They say nothing about the overall quality of the work but they're legit nonetheless .If a person doesn't like a "beta/whiny MC" even if he has a lot of depth to him then ,that's that .They might not have valid criticisms but they have to right to dislike it nonetheless .

Of course they have the right to dislike it...

But haven't you heard that "not being able to justify = invalid opinion" going around these day?
Going by that complaining about something as superficial as Shinji being "beta" isn't enough to get me to take their opinion seriously..
May 16, 2016 9:14 AM

Mar 2016
GesuYarou said:
TheDeadApostle said:

But haven't you heard that "not being able to justify = invalid opinion" going around these day?
Going by that complaining about something as superficial as Shinji being "beta" isn't enough to get me to take their opinion seriously..

I dunno man.......it might be worthless in a discussion but I don't see how it's inherently worthless.

It's not like I don't see where they're coming from. It's true that Shinji has perfectly sensible reasons for being the way that he is but that doesn't mean it can always connect with people. If it fails in that aspect in regards to a certain group then their opinions still stand as reasons for why they dislike it. There might be more to his character but if they don't care then that's completely alright. A problem comes when they decide to judge the series' quality based on their preferences and instead f what it tried to accomplish.

Btw have you seen EoE ?

On_the_Lam said:
TheDeadApostle said:

Existential crisis, losing the will to live because they've unlocked the secret of life, which is purposelessness.

That's pretty extreme. I wouldn't go that far.
May 16, 2016 9:20 AM

Nov 2015
TheDeadApostle said:
GesuYarou said:

I dunno man.......it might be worthless in a discussion but I don't see how it's inherently worthless.

It's not like I don't see where they're coming from. It's true that Shinji has perfectly sensible reasons for being the way that he is but that doesn't mean it can always connect with people. If it fails in that aspect in regards to a certain group then their opinions still stand as reasons for why they dislike it. There might be more to his character but if they don't care then that's completely alright. A problem comes when they decide to judge the series' quality based on their preferences and instead f what it tried to accomplish.

Btw have you seen EoE ?

I'm pretty sure I've said this before but in case I haven't; The viewer is well within their rights to dislike someones character and it's even okay to admit that that particular character ruined the fun for them. But the least they can do is acknowledge the fact that that was the way he was written and it's just that it didn't appeal to them. It's okay to bail out of an argument using 'it just didn't appeal to me'. At least in my book it is.

Naw man, Still on s1 episode 23.
Probably gonna finish it off tomorrow after I come home..
May 16, 2016 9:37 AM

Mar 2016
GesuYarou said:
TheDeadApostle said:

Btw have you seen EoE ?

I'm pretty sure I've said this before but in case I haven't; The viewer is well within their rights to dislike someones character and it's even okay to admit that that particular character ruined the fun for them. But the least they can do is acknowledge the fact that that was the way he was written and it's just that it didn't appeal to them. It's okay to bail out of an argument using 'it just didn't appeal to me'. At least in my book it is.

I get your point .I just didn't see how the reasons you gave earlier weren't valid in regards to how someone feels about the series .

Are you gonna watch the movies ?
May 16, 2016 10:08 AM

Nov 2015
TheDeadApostle said:
GesuYarou said:

I get your point .I just didn't see how the reasons you gave earlier weren't valid in regards to how someone feels about the series .

Are you gonna watch the movies ?

Eventually, yeah. I'm gonna watch all of them.
Someone told me that asuka

I'll be looking forward to that..
May 16, 2016 11:37 AM
Aug 2015
TheDeadApostle said:

On_the_Lam said:

Yes, but other people would simply dismiss Evangelion as "pretentious" and spread the word instead of trying to understand it. And trust me, there's a lot to understand.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you rate every anime you've completed?
May 16, 2016 12:02 PM

Mar 2016
On_the_Lam said:
TheDeadApostle said:

Yes, but other people would simply dismiss Evangelion as "pretentious" and spread the word instead of trying to understand it. And trust me, there's a lot to understand.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you rate every anime you've completed?

It's a pain to do that .My list is reasonable larger than it appears .Especially the manga one .
May 16, 2016 4:51 PM

Sep 2015
I literally just finished it and while its definitely not terrible I failed to see the significance with the anime. Nothing stood out to me as amazing by any stretch.
Your next line is "I was just pretending to be retarded".
Jun 5, 2016 4:08 AM
Jan 2014
Personally, it probably gets a 7/10 for me. It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't a masterpiece.

Mind you, its been 7-8 years since I've seen it (my one and only time), but it seemed over rated to me.

What I enjoyed:
-The art direction. Yeah, I know they were under budget, but I really enjoyed those still-frame shots and the high contrast of sunlight and shadow used. Heck when Steins Gate first aired, I basically got interested in it for similar reasons: use of cicadas and instances of scenes with minimal movement and sound, strong light/shadow contrast and a generally dull background offset by Kurisu's blood red hair

- It wasn't all fighting, fighting, and more fighting.

What I didn't enjoy:
- Having only viewed it once years ago, it was still largely forgettable when compared to other stuff that I have seen during that period. It seemed the goal of the story was to tell you "every character is messed up" and that beyond that, nothing else mattered. Though admittedly, this complaint probably has more to do with my personal enjoyment of the series. I don't remember all that has happened, but I want to, but watching the series seems like a chore. I'll eventually watch the movies lol.

- Ending. Yeah, I found it boring, felt like a chore to watch the last few episodes, but that alone would not have made me dislike it. Rather, I felt that I disliked it partially due to the community influence. I feel people read too deep into it, and praised it too much, when in reality they simply ran out of budget.

The way people praise the ending reminds me of writing essays in university, where an English professor asks me to write a 20 page essay about the origin of the English language. 5 pages in, I run out of stuff to talk about, so I fill 15 pages with stuff about Communism and Capitalism, biological vs social behavior, WW1, WW2, Christianity and religion, and the socioeconomic policies of US and Europe, and half-heartily tie it all into "origin of the English language". And to my surprise, instead of getting a C- like I anticipated, I get an A++ with the professor praising my revolutionary thinking, when in actuality, zero thought went into it. You're damn right I would take credit for my 'revolutionary' thinking.
nwreJun 5, 2016 4:15 AM
Jun 7, 2016 6:28 PM

Sep 2015
A big reason people hate it doesn't even have to do with the anime it's the 2deep4u or "you just didn't get it" response the fanboys give when you say you didn't like it. Even the creator said NGE is overrated lol
Jun 7, 2016 6:31 PM

Sep 2015
-Maz said:
Gave it a 4/10 myself. Didn't hate it, but it didn't appeal to me overly much.

- First half of it was just a regular monster-of-the-week deal. Nothing really special there. I didn't like nor dislike it.

- Asuka. I absolutely despise her. I actually put NGE on hold for several months because I became completely sick of every second she spent on screen. Berating and abusing Shinji at every single opportunity for absolutely no reason whatsoever just because "QQ I'm stressed out" made for a fuckin' awful character.
By taking her tsundere-ism to such ridiculously extreme lengths I feel it had the opposite effect of portraying the stress she was under. Rather than being a nice person with a sad backstory and the weight of the world on her shoulders, Asuka was just a cunt.

- Episode 20 nearly gave me a seizure.

- The last two episodes. Well, more specifically, the way the very last episode ended. I had nothing against the way the last two episodes were (although they could have done it in one episode, IMO ) but having those episodes followed by "congratulations" and lots of clapping made me feel like I'd been trolled. It's like there was meant to be a last episode but they forgot about it and just left things up in the air.
(I'm aware there are movies which end the story, but I wasn't into Eva enough to want to bother watching them).

- The really heavy-handed themes. I know it's been said a lot of the symbolism was used just because they thought it was cool, but it just made me laugh when I saw explosions taking on the forms of crosses. It was ridiculously forced and in-your-face.

- A lot of it flew over my head. I was somewhat confused at what was actually happening in the last 6-8 episodes, with all the different organisations, people, and interested parties. I could just be an idiot So that impeded my potential enjoyment too.

So as far as I'm concerned, I didn't think it was bad. I just didn't really see any particular reason to like it either. I could tell that it was very different to your regular highschool mecha anime, but being different doesn't automatically make it good.
I had it as a 5/10 (which for me denotes average; I didn't feel strongly either way) but dropped it to a 4 after the last two episodes. That clapping ending was just lol.
Couldn't have said it any better all i'd add is that literally every character was fucked up and not in a good way.
Jun 7, 2016 7:02 PM

Mar 2015
NakuraZero said:
Couldn't have said it any better all i'd add is that literally every character was fucked up and not in a good way.

That's the point.
Jun 7, 2016 7:05 PM

Sep 2015
KamilleMkII said:
NakuraZero said:

That's the point.
Just because that's the point doesn't mean I have to like/enjoy it.
Jun 7, 2016 7:06 PM

Mar 2015
NakuraZero said:
KamilleMkII said:

That's the point.

I'm not saying you have to enjoy it, I'm just saying the point of the show was to be like that.
Jun 7, 2016 7:11 PM

Sep 2015
KamilleMkII said:
NakuraZero said:

I'm not saying you have to enjoy it, I'm just saying the point of the show was to be like that.
Probably because the creator was really depressed at the time.
Jun 7, 2016 7:32 PM

Jun 2008
Because it's 2 deep for them, 2 experimental, 2 ambitious
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2016 3:42 AM

Jun 2016
Because it's a ridiculous show about unlikable over-angst teenagers piloting giant robot, trying to be deep while it's just pretentious throwing to the mix a shallow religious symbolism.
Seriously how am I supposed to relate to shinji while he is annoying as hell don't get me wrong he was relatable at the beginning but he grow more annoying as the show progress to the point I dropped it
Oh and there's something more annoying than shinji which is the fanbase of the series they speak to you like they are the most intellectual people on earth and make you feel like you are an illiterate heathen.
bigmustache93Jun 15, 2016 10:53 AM
Jun 17, 2016 1:52 PM

Jun 2016
Because they gave us a philosophy shit show instead of an actual ending. What happened to Askua? What about Lilith? What the fuck is the black moon? the last two episodes are completely fabricated and useles.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

809 by TheStarscream759 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

151 by ToTheGyz »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

213 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 14, 4:18 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

210 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 13, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

285 by Apreggi »»
Apr 13, 1:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.