Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
May 13, 2016 11:09 AM

Apr 2008
HyperL said:
Darklight0303 said:

I have a better idea. Make a thread specifically for Attack on Titan Jokes and take that stupid stuff there. Leave discussion and theory crafting to the episode threads. There. Problem solved.

That would not live an hour since everyone is making the same remark: "look is a titan". A joke thread would be funny if people could keep making new jokes, but there's not much material to work with in the first place. Also, part of the entertainment people have comes exactly from the fact this jokes are being made in a "serious" thread.

So recycling the same joke over and over again with minor alterations sounds like a discussion to you?
May 13, 2016 11:10 AM

May 2016
On_the_Lam said:
Axelucard said:
i forgot that people on MAL don't know the concept of a joke

Jokes are supposed to be funny, no?

No, jokes are supposed to not be taken seriously. If they're funny or not is up to each person.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
May 13, 2016 11:13 AM

Dec 2014
Nice episode.

Sort of sad to watch Mumei this episode, She sort of underwent some kind of identity crisis making her feel real insecure which was really sad to watch.

She's always cool when fighting but in the end it was her fault that the current situation turned out what it is :(

Surprisingly Ikoma one shot the Martial Art Kabaneri xD

That Kabane amalgamation though :o
May 13, 2016 11:15 AM

Apr 2008
Lelouch0202 said:
Nice episode.

Sort of sad to watch Mumei this episode, She sort of underwent some kind of identity crisis making her feel real insecure which was really sad to watch.

She's always cool when fighting but in the end it was her fault that the current situation turned out what it is :(

Next episode should be interesting since she's going to have a lot to face once she wakes up with Ikoma there trapped with her. It's the perfect setup for her to snap and just lay bare the state of her mind and heart to Ikoma. Until the Kabane interrupt them of course.
May 13, 2016 11:19 AM

May 2016
Darklight0303 said:
HyperL said:

That would not live an hour since everyone is making the same remark: "look is a titan". A joke thread would be funny if people could keep making new jokes, but there's not much material to work with in the first place. Also, part of the entertainment people have comes exactly from the fact this jokes are being made in a "serious" thread.

So recycling the same joke over and over again with minor alterations sounds like a discussion to you?

About the repetition, is probaly not intensional, the people doing the joke are most likely just going strait to the reply box without reading the thread beforehand, so they don't notice that the joke was already made a 100 times already.

Now about discussions, maybe you should start one, THEN you will have your serious thread rolling.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
May 13, 2016 11:20 AM

Dec 2014
Darklight0303 said:
Lelouch0202 said:
Nice episode.

Next episode should be interesting since she's going to have a lot to face once she wakes up with Ikoma there trapped with her. It's the perfect setup for her to snap and just lay bare the state of her mind and heart to Ikoma. Until the Kabane interrupt them of course.

Almost too perfect of a setup ,However that's exactly what I'm expecting to happen xD
Seeing them escape from the Kabane amalgamation should be real interesting as well.
May 13, 2016 11:22 AM

Oct 2014
@Zal We knnow Mumei has above average strenght. If we assume the steel floor is thin enough, throwed with enough strenght (caused by anger because she was pissed at the 2 guys) I'd believe is posible that the knife would had crossed the floor. The thin floor might be enough to handle the passenger, given a steel structure under it to keep everything in check.

A knife is also smaller than a katana, so is harder for it to bend under pressure. On ep 3 we already saw her able to pierce a Kabane's heart with 2 Katanas, which we can assume is harder than steel.

That makes me wonder... Was ep4's Katana breaking when Kurusu impaled the dual wielding kabane plausible? I'd say he didn't had enough strenght to pierce the heart, and thus the katana broke due to the pressure. In Mumei's case I think her strenght might have caused the katanas to penetrate before breaking. I don't know if it is convincing enough but I buy it.

Oh yeah, Kurusu. He has his arm injured from the previous episode. I think you can see that when Ikoma is showing off his inventions. Since he has a 2 arm handling style, I find understandable he wasn't in the main fight. The episode also focused more on Mumei rather than anyone else, and I'm okay with it since I think her backstory is crucial for the plot, in particular her Ani-sama and all that. She also has to mature and I'm only hoping the show would tackle that.

I also think they don't give those characters some spotlight right now because the show is rushing the pace too. Look how convenient the dog thing was to fit with Mumei's situation.
I've come to peace with it, to be honest. It's not okay but what are you gonna do about it, when I think is obvious they won't slow down the pace of the show and are trying to cram the story in 12 episodes.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 13, 2016 11:22 AM

Apr 2008
Lelouch0202 said:
Darklight0303 said:

Almost too perfect of a setup ,However that's exactly what I'm expecting to happen xD
Seeing them escape from the Kabane amalgamation should be real interesting as well.

Dealing with that huge thing is going to be a challenge. And yet I bet the train will play a part in it. Like say they make the Black smoke collapse on its side on the tracks and the train stabs through its heart. It's certainly sharp and pointy enough to do that.
May 13, 2016 11:24 AM

Apr 2008
KoreaWS said:
@Zal We knnow Mumei has above average strenght. If we assume the steel floor is thin enough, throwed with enough strenght (caused by anger because she was pissed at the 2 guys) I'd believe is posible that the knife would had crossed the floor. The thin floor might be enough to handle the passenger, given a steel structure under it to keep everything in check.

A knife is also smaller than a katana, so is harder for it to bend under pressure. On ep 3 we already saw her able to pierce a Kabane's heart with 2 Katanas, which we can assume is harder than steel.

That makes me wonder... Was ep4's Katana breaking when Kurusu impaled the dual wielding kabane plausible? I'd say he didn't had enough strenght to pierce the heart, and thus the katana broke due to the pressure. In Mumei's case I think her strenght might have caused the katanas to penetrate before breaking. I don't know if it is convincing enough but I buy it.

Oh yeah, Kurusu. He has his arm injured from the previous episode. I think you can see that when Ikoma is showing off his inventions. Since he has a 2 arm handling style, I find understandable he wasn't in the main fight. The episode also focused more on Mumei rather than anyone else, and I'm okay with it since I think her backstory is crucial for the plot, in particular her Ani-sama and all that. She also has to mature and I'm only hoping the show would tackle that.

I also think they don't give those characters some spotlight right now because the show is rushing the pace too. Look how convenient the dog thing was to fit with Mumei's situation.
I've come to peace with it, to be honest. It's not okay but what are you gonna do about it, when I think is obvious they won't slow down the pace of the show and are trying to cram the story in 12 episodes.

Kurusu will be back in the fight soon. WE see him use that Kabane coated sword in the OP after all and the sword WAS crafted in this episode so it's only a matter of time
May 13, 2016 11:29 AM

Oct 2014
Darklight0303 said:

Kurusu will be back in the fight soon. WE see him use that Kabane coated sword in the OP after all and the sword WAS crafted in this episode so it's only a matter of time

Yeah, but I was mentioning how it makes sense that he doesn't participates in this fight, due to him rehabilitating.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
May 13, 2016 11:31 AM

Apr 2008
KoreaWS said:
Darklight0303 said:

Yeah, but I was mentioning how it makes sense that he doesn't participates in this fight, due to him rehabilitating.

Oh I agree on that front wholeheartedly. Kurusu had no place to be in this operation. Without both arms he's just not viable.
May 13, 2016 11:36 AM

Jul 2012
zal said:
Darklight0303 said:

I have a better idea. Make a thread specifically for Attack on Titan Jokes and take that stupid stuff there. Leave discussion and theory crafting to the episode threads. There. Problem solved.
Then I have a question for your theories if I am not on your ignore list already. Why did a knife pierce a steel floor?
It's just because of Mumei's strength. She's able to apply enough force to regular weapons so that they can pierce steel, that's why in episode 2 she was able to kill Kabane will a normal spear.
May 13, 2016 11:39 AM

Apr 2008
I have to wonder if Enocku will help out the train people. He might know more about the amalgamation of Kabane chasing them down. Since the Kabaneri are trapped in the collapsed tunnel and he needs to train to survive I could see him approaching Ayame and Crew
May 13, 2016 11:41 AM
Aug 2015
HyperL said:
On_the_Lam said:

No, jokes are supposed to not be taken seriously. If they're funny or not is up to each person.

Whether jokes are funny or not depends on a person's good taste of humor, or lack thereof. What exactly was the joke, again?
May 13, 2016 11:42 AM
Aug 2015
zal said:

On_the_Lam said:

In fact it was funny.

What exactly was funny?
May 13, 2016 11:43 AM

May 2015
Phoebe3315 said:
zal said:
Then I have a question for your theories if I am not on your ignore list already. Why did a knife pierce a steel floor?
It's just because of Mumei's strength. She's able to apply enough force to regular weapons so that they can pierce steel, that's why in episode 2 she was able to kill Kabane will a normal spear.
but she was at full power that time and you say she threw that knife using her power so uselessly?

On_the_Lam said:
zal said:

In fact it was funny.

What exactly was funny?
Most of the comparisons to AoT
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2016 11:43 AM

Jul 2012
Darklight0303 said:
KoreaWS said:

Oh I agree on that front wholeheartedly. Kurusu had no place to be in this operation. Without both arms he's just not viable.
Yep...people complain that not many characters were involved with this plan, but the fact is they didn't need many involved... You can't expect Ayame or Kurusu to have some important role in every episode, especially when this one was clearly focused on Mumei.
May 13, 2016 11:44 AM

Apr 2008
Phoebe3315 said:
Darklight0303 said:

Yep...people complain that not many characters were involved with this plan, but the fact is they didn't need many involved... You can't expect Ayame or Kurusu to have some important role in every episode, especially when this one was clearly focused on Mumei.

The less people involved the less chances for fuckups. If only Mumei didn't have an existential crisis forcing her to be reckless to prove her worth to herself. Alas nothing could have prevented that
May 13, 2016 11:46 AM

Sep 2010
Darklight0303 said:
Fattati said:
It feels like the story isn't progressing

How so? We learn more about Mumei and her 'Brother' aka young master. As well as the fact that the Shogunate is acting suspiciously by stockpiling weapons that can kill people not Kabane.

well guess who was right this time? remember when told you that her "brother" was the shogun? yep she calls him brother.

anyway... congratulations Mc you just compromised the lives of hundreds of people just to save one idiot. come on at least use something to keep the lever in palce to amke sure the crane is still functioning. you are an engineer stop thinking with your penis ffs.

mumei change of heart was so sudden, it 's ridiculous. i'd understand if it changed after they reached the shogun stronghold, since it would make sense she would start acting like near her Onii-sama for his validation, but during a crucial moment like that, and the worst of all, waiting for ikoma's validation when previously in the same episode she treated like shit? come on, don't turn a mumei into a damsel in distress, this is already bad as it is, but if they keep going this will be mars of destruction tier of bad writing.

and you guys are right this isn't a shingeki no kyojin rip off. it's more like a Apocalypse no Toride Rip off and Rail Wars combined.

PS: and y exactly did mumei throw all those satchel charges to the kabane? to create a smoke screen?

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
May 13, 2016 11:48 AM

May 2015
Phoebe3315 said:
Darklight0303 said:

Are you referring to me because that's not what I've said. In the second part was justified their absence, but them being just background in the first half is annoying for me, they are not thirdly characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2016 11:49 AM

Jul 2012
zal said:
Phoebe3315 said:
but she was at full power that time and you say she threw that knife using her power so uselessly?
I know she didn't have her restraint removed, but she was pretty angry at those two guys and she seems to still be very powerful with the restraint. Maybe the knife shouldn't have pierced the floor, but it's not a big deal. I mean...there were far more harder to believe things going on in last week's episode with the train jumping and everything. You're not really supposed to watch this show with the mindset of it being realistic.
May 13, 2016 11:51 AM

Jun 2013
On_the_Lam said:
Axelucard said:

of course not who told you that
May 13, 2016 11:52 AM

May 2015
Phoebe3315 said:
zal said:
I know she didn't have her restraint removed, but she was pretty angry at those two guys and she seems to still be very powerful with the restraint. Maybe the knife shouldn't have pierced the floor, but it's not a big deal. I mean...there were far more harder to believe things going on in last week's episode with the train jumping and everything. You're not really supposed to watch this show with the mindset of it being realistic.
It's not a big deal but since someone here can't stand when someone points out obvious flaws and denies with all his might I am encouraged to complain even more. KnK is not perfect and admitting some flaws won't change that much.
May 13, 2016 11:52 AM

Apr 2008
Xykko said:
Darklight0303 said:

How so? We learn more about Mumei and her 'Brother' aka young master. As well as the fact that the Shogunate is acting suspiciously by stockpiling weapons that can kill people not Kabane.

well guess who was right this time? remember when told you that her "brother" was the shogun? yep she calls him brother.

anyway... congratulations Mc you just compromised the lives of hundreds of people just to save one idiot. come on at least use something to keep the lever in palce to amke sure the crane is still functioning. you are an engineer stop thinking with your penis ffs.

mumei change of heart was so sudden, it 's ridiculous. i'd understand if it changed after they reached the shogun stronghold, since it would make sense she would start acting like near her Onii-sama for his validation, but during a crucial moment like that, and the worst of all, waiting for ikoma's validation when previously in the same episode she treated like shit? come on, don't turn a mumei into a damsel in distress, this is already bad as it is, but if they keep going this will be mars of destruction tier of bad writing.

and you guys are right this isn't a shingeki no kyojin rip off. it's more like a Apocalypse no Toride Rip off and Rail Wars combined.

PS: and y exactly did mumei throw all those satchel charges to the kabane? to create a smoke screen?

Uh the Shogun and the young master are two different people. Enocku was telling Mumei to tell the Young Master that the Shogunate was stockpiling weapons to kill humans. So you were wrong.
May 13, 2016 11:55 AM

Jul 2012
zal said:
Phoebe3315 said:
Are you referring to me because that's not what I've said. In the second part was justified their absence, but them being just background in the first half is annoying for me, they are not thirdly characters.
In the first half too though, considering how much else they had to cover, there wasn't really time give them much of a focus. Ayame was still making important decisions of what to do, she decided to not turn back and have faith in Ikoma's plan.
May 13, 2016 11:56 AM

May 2016
zal said:

Why Ayame and Kurusu have become background characters during this episode? I don't mean they should've gone to battle but at least contribute somehow in the first half to the show. Ayame had just 2 useless lines and Kurusu a tsk to express his frustration, other than that background characters. Is that ok for you?

I know i'm not the one you asked this question to, but i feel like giving my opinion anyway. For me is ok that characters are useless from time to time. Everyone has their time to shine and their time not to shine either. Now from what i can assume, you are criticizing their uselessness from a writing perspective: "since they're relevant characters to the plot, they should constantly contribute to the many situations in the story to keep their relevance up" or something like that. But, if you stop looking at them as relevant characters in a fictional story (where the writing conveniently allows for the characters to be useful in some way) and imagine them as real human beings in "real" life, than it makes more sense that things would not occur with such convenience, that everyone would be able to be useful or relevant at all times. You could say that this show is quite realistic when it comes to show the inconvenience of life and how people can be useless because they're not protected by the relevance armor.
May 13, 2016 11:57 AM

Feb 2015
I love the weapons in this series, I love the steampunk vibe in gerneral. this is so much better than anything else this season including Re:Zero which is excellent also. It felt like it was over in 10 mins, can't wait for next weeks episode.
May 13, 2016 12:03 PM

Apr 2008
Crashmatt said:
I love the weapons in this series, I love the steampunk vibe in gerneral. this is so much better than anything else this season including Re:Zero which is excellent also. It felt like it was over in 10 mins, can't wait for next weeks episode.

I do as well. And the guns sound and look so meaty when firing. Don't get me started about the glorious steam animations during each discharge. They captured the steampunk aesthetic perfectly.
May 13, 2016 12:04 PM

Sep 2010
Darklight0303 said:
Xykko said:

Uh the Shogun and the young master are two different people. Enocku was telling Mumei to tell the Young Master that the Shogunate was stockpiling weapons to kill humans. So you were wrong.

you do know that shogunate means the government right? the retainers around the shogun?

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
May 13, 2016 12:05 PM

May 2015
HyperL said:
zal said:

Why Ayame and Kurusu have become background characters during this episode? I don't mean they should've gone to battle but at least contribute somehow in the first half to the show. Ayame had just 2 useless lines and Kurusu a tsk to express his frustration, other than that background characters. Is that ok for you?

I know i'm not the one you asked this question to, but i feel like giving my opinion anyway. For me is ok that characters are useless from time to time. Everyone has their time to shine and their time not to shine either. Now from what i can assume, you are criticizing their uselessness from a writing perspective: "since they're relevant characters to the plot, they should constantly contribute to the many situations in the story to keep their relevance up" or something like that. But, if you stop looking at them as relevant characters in a fictional story (where the writing conveniently allows for the characters to be useful in some way) and imagine them as real human beings in "real" life, than it makes more sense that things would not occur with such convenience, that everyone would be able to be useful or relevant at all times. You could say that this show is quite realistic when it comes to show the inconvenience of life and how people can be useless because they're not protected by the relevance armor.
If you think of them as human beings, Kurusu would have killed Ikoma when he found Ikoma on Ayame, also as human being would kurusu stay so quiet? That's the issue when you think that way.
I've lost faith in Ayame, she was potentially the useful princess but she turned into useless pretty quick.

Moreover I find strange that the one coming up with the strategy of putting then in one line is from Ikoma and not Kurusu who presumably has actual battle experience.

Phoebe3315 said:
zal said:
In the first half too though, considering how much else they had to cover, there wasn't really time give them much of a focus. Ayame was still making important decisions of what to do, she decided to not turn back and have faith in Ikoma's plan.
Not even a remark from what would seem the most experienced fighter kurusu?
Ayame decided practically nothing, she did give her approval but still... so passive...
zalMay 13, 2016 12:12 PM
May 13, 2016 12:07 PM

Jan 2014
Tylaen said:
T'is a shadow titan! Such plagiarism, I can't even believe it.
i know right? Absolutely disgusting. Isayama should receive royalties for such blatant theft of his intellectual property!

On_the_Lam said:
Axelucard said:

I don't know if you're aware of this but not all jokes are meant to nor will always cater to your own personal sense of humour. More than one user here actually found Axel's joke to be funny: what are you gonna tell them? Not to laugh?
SapewlothMay 13, 2016 12:11 PM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
May 13, 2016 12:07 PM

Apr 2008
Xykko said:
Darklight0303 said:

you do know that shogunate means the government right? the retainers around the shogun?

and you do know I just said the Shogun and the young master are two different people. Or are you implying this mysterious young master who seems to be in charge of secret things regarding mumei and Kabaneri is somehow ignorant to what his underlings the shogunate would be doing?

You're really stretching it. Desperately so.
May 13, 2016 12:12 PM

May 2016
3.5/5 from me... Rounding it to 4

I didn't really like the dialogue in this one, nor the melodramatic moments, but it made up for those shortcomings with some pretty decent fight scenes and making Ikoma actually competent both as a leader (which is a pretty rare trait for the anime protagonists) and a fighter.
That eye patch guy revealing us more of the Mumei's background and that giant thing at the end were pretty cool as well... especially the later. Now I have some pretty high expectations for the next episode.

And yeah, I see a lot of people still keep pointing out all sorts of comparisons with SnK trying to present the show as a total rip-off... Come on, stop hating, It's already differentiated itself enough from SnK:

• Characters are very different. Ikoma and Eren are very different. I dunno how to describe this, but if they were playing MOBAs, I feel Eren would be a "mid or feed!!1" type of guy, while Ikoma would be more of a "Should I pick support" type of player.
  • So far it's more focused on the interactions between characters than SnK was (even the interactions between side characters), although I must admit that so far we have yet to meet any important human figure (or something pretending to be human at least) that Ikoma and co are supposed to take on... There is Shogunate and that guy Mumei refers to as "ani-sama", but so far we have yet to meet any of these guys.
  • To add up to the previous point, it seems that KnK will be more focused on politics. SnK is heading in that direction as well, but it seems like KnK is picking up on it earlier in the story. I mean we are having a member of nobility (Ayame) as a part of the main cast ever since episode 1.
  • Threat in SnK comes from overwhelming strength of the Titans, in KnK the main threat are numbers of Kabane which apart from their durability aren't any tougher than humans (except for wazatoris and that thing at the end of this episode whatever the hell it was)
  • Fighting scenes seem to be more realistic... I mean apart from Mumei having sick reflexes and her and Ikoma being more durable than your average human no other character has shown us any feats that seem impossible in real life. 3D maneuvering gear on the other hand... yeah, it's cool, but it just wouldn't work in reality.
    I love both approaches though, but I feel like pointing out just how different they are.
  • Of course, atmosphere and setting were different ever since episode 1.

I still like SnK quite a bit more than I like KnK so far, but it's still a very good anime. I don't see it getting as popular as SnK (at least not in the west), but it's still gonna be one of these people are gonna come back to rewatch and recommend to anyone interested in a more mature action series (as long as they don't fuck it up at some point).

Now one more thing. I've noticed everyone keeps pointing out how that "black smoke" thing at the end is a complete Titan ripoff... Just why? Most of the anime, games, movies etc whose stories are set in universes filled with monsters have giant monsters as enemies at some point. It makes viewer/player go "woah!" because it's bigger, badder and stronger than anything they've seen so far.
Also "black smoke" has a very different design than Titans from SnK. It's interesting and creepy but I don't think its anywhere close to iconic as those weird deformed Titans were.

And yeah, even if they somehow manage to move that obstacle from the rails and get the train running, how the hell are they gonna get past that thing? Go in reverse to avoid it? It'll probably catch up to them... Hell I just realized that while writing this and now I'm even more hyped for next EP.

EDIT:
Darklight0303 said:
I'd love to be able to look at this thread and discus possibilities and theories for where things will go. Instead all I see is headless chickens going herpaderp a colossal titan now lol Kabaneri is such an AOT clone now.

Anyway, +1 to this. Whoever actually bothered to watch more than one episode should know that while SnK and KnK do share quite a bit of similarities, they are still two very different shows.
Not to mention that KnK is not an adaptation so it should be really fun for everyone to be guessing what's gonna happen next. But nah, "Lolzers big black titan xDDD" is the way to go.
Melt_BananaMay 13, 2016 12:20 PM
May 13, 2016 12:15 PM

Apr 2008
Melt_Banana said:
3.5/5 from me... Rounding it to 4

I didn't really like the dialogue in this one, nor the melodramatic moments, but it made up for those shortcomings with some pretty decent fight scenes and making Ikoma actually competent both as a leader (which is a pretty rare trait for the anime protagonists) and a fighter.
That eye patch guy revealing us more of the Mumei's background and that giant thing at the end were pretty cool as well... especially the later. Now I have some pretty high expectations for the next episode.

And yeah, I see a lot of people still keep pointing out all sorts of comparisons with SnK trying to present the show as a total rip-off... Come on, stop hating, It's already differentiated itself enough from SnK:

• Characters are very different. Ikoma and Eren are very different. I dunno how to describe this, but if they were playing MOBAs, I feel Eren would be a "mid or feed!!1" type of guy, while Ikoma would be more of a "Should I pick support" type of player.
  • So far it's more focused on the interactions between characters than SnK was (even the interactions between side characters), although I must admit that so far we have yet to meet any important human figure (or something pretending to be human at least) that Ikoma and co are supposed to take on... There is Shogunate and that guy Mumei refers to as "ani-sama", but so far we have yet to meet any of these guys.
  • To add up to the previous point, it seems that KnK will be more focused on politics. SnK is heading in that direction as well, but it seems like KnK is picking up on it earlier in the story. I mean we are having a member of nobility (Ayame) as a part of the main cast ever since episode 1.
  • Threat in SnK comes from overwhelming strength of the Titans, in KnK the main threat are numbers of Kabane which apart from their durability aren't any tougher than humans (except for wazatoris and that thing at the end of this episode whatever the hell it was)
  • Fighting scenes seem to be more realistic... I mean apart from Mumei having sick reflexes and her and Ikoma being more durable than your average human no other character has shown us any feats that seem impossible in real life. 3D maneuvering gear on the other hand... yeah, it's cool, but it just wouldn't work in reality.
    I love both approaches though, but I feel like pointing out just how different they are.
  • Of course, atmosphere and setting were different ever since episode 1.

I still like SnK quite a bit more than I like KnK so far, but it's still a very good anime. I don't see it getting as popular as SnK (at least not in the west), but it's still gonna be one of these people are gonna come back to rewatch and recommend to anyone interested in a more mature action series (as long as they don't fuck it up at some point).

Now one more thing. I've noticed everyone keeps pointing out how that "black smoke" thing at the end is a complete Titan ripoff... Just why? Most of the anime, games, movies etc whose stories are set in universes filled with monsters have giant monsters as enemies at some point. It makes viewer/player go "woah!" because it's bigger, badder and stronger than anything they've seen so far.
Also "black smoke" has a very different design than Titans from SnK. It's interesting and creepy but I don't think its anywhere close to iconic as those weird deformed Titans were.

And yeah, even if they somehow manage to move that obstacle from the rails and get the train running, how the hell are they gonna get past that thing? Go in reverse to avoid it? It'll probably catch up to them... Hell I just realized that while writing this and now I'm even more hyped for next EP.

Ikoma may have accidentally saved the train by leaving the crane before the train could get past the collapsed tower. If they'd gone past, they would have rolled right into the Black Smoke and then they would have not had time to even run away.
May 13, 2016 12:20 PM

Jul 2012
zal said:
HyperL said:

If you think of them as human beings, Kurusu would have killed Ikoma when he found Ikoma on Ayame, also as human being would kurusu stay so quiet? That's the issue when you think that way.
I've lost faith in Ayame, she was potentially the useful princess but she turned into useless pretty quick.

Moreover I find strange that the one coming up with the strategy of putting then in one line is from Ikoma and not Kurusu who presumably has actual battle experience.

Phoebe3315 said:
Not even a remark from what would seem the most experienced fighter kurusu?
Ayame decided practically nothing, she did give her approval but still... so passive...
Honestly I think you are asking for too much to be in one episode of a very fast paced show. The focus this time was on Mumei mainly, and secondly on Ikoma showing off his intelligence again. Kurusu and Ayame will have more of their own moments in the future.
May 13, 2016 12:21 PM

Sep 2010
Darklight0303 said:
Xykko said:

and you do know I just said the Shogun and the young master are two different people. Or are you implying this mysterious young master who seems to be in charge of secret things regarding mumei and Kabaneri is somehow ignorant to what his underlings the shogunate would be doing?

You're really stretching it. Desperately so.

> implying kings and shoguns were never overthrown in coup d'etat by their subordinates

the way you try to dismiss everything others say as if it's a uncontested truth is pathetic to say the least.

anyway let's see how they'll get out of the mine and defeat the Kabanezord

May 13, 2016 12:22 PM

Apr 2014
Sapewloth said:
Tylaen said:
i know right? Absolutely disgusting. Isayama should receive royalties for such blatant theft of his intellectual property!

Ah another fool calling this a SNK rip-off. Time to add you in my ignore list!
May 13, 2016 12:22 PM

Nov 2010
This whole episode felt so .... so engineered. It's definitely the weakest one so far.
At least with that Kabane Titan/Giant/Behemoth/Colossus , whatever you wanna call it, we get a confirmation that supernatural is at work, and it's not a virus after all ?
May 13, 2016 12:24 PM

Apr 2008
Zalmox1s said:
This whole episode felt so .... so engineered. It's definitely the weakest one so far.
At least with that Kabane Titan/Giant/Behemoth/Colossus , whatever you wanna call it, we get a confirmation that supernatural is at work, and it's not a virus after all ?

Uhhhh how does that prove supernatural? You haven't seen giant amalgamation of zombies forming giant monsters in resident evil?
May 13, 2016 12:27 PM

May 2016
Darklight0303 said:
Ikoma may have accidentally saved the train by leaving the crane before the train could get past the collapsed tower. If they'd gone past, they would have rolled right into the Black Smoke and then they would have not had time to even run away.

Now that I think about it, you're right. I still have no idea how the guys on the train are gonna get out of this situation... I doubt they can put up a fight against that thing, and I somehow doubt that going in reverse is a good idea since that thing should be able to catch up to them.

Also what's gonna happen to Ikoma and Mumei? Those two are probably getting out of that mine thing in one piece, but they won't be able to help anyone on the train... Maybe some new characters are gonna show up to save the day or maybe they can use something to blow the place up... Anyway, I feel like this episode was just a build up for the next one. Hope it doesn't disappoint with some sort of asspull though.
May 13, 2016 12:27 PM

May 2016
zal said:
HyperL said:

1) When i said to think of them as human beings, i meant not personality/behavior wise, but that they're not just characters made to fulfill their role and be useful in a story, because you know, humans doesn't need a role in the "plot of life" to justify their existance.

2)So you lost faith in a character because she did not participate this one episode? Like i said, everyone has their time to shine and their time not to shine either, if the writers know how to give relevance to a character from time to time, she will have her moment soon or later.

3) Battle experience was not relevant because they're were not planning on fighting, the plan was to pass through without provoking the kabane. Ikoma was the one who planned it because he is one of the few who knows how to work with machines.
May 13, 2016 12:28 PM

Jul 2012
Darklight0303 said:
Zalmox1s said:

Uhhhh how does that prove supernatural? You haven't seen giant amalgamation of zombies forming giant monsters in resident evil?
Does that actually happen in Resident Evil? I haven't played the series...but that sounds interesting and now I wonder if it could have inspired the Black Smoke?
May 13, 2016 12:30 PM

Nov 2010
Darklight0303 said:
Zalmox1s said:

Never played a RE for more than 30 mins, because shit controls, so the answer is no.
May 13, 2016 12:31 PM

Apr 2008
Zalmox1s said:
Darklight0303 said:

Never played a RE for more than 30 mins, because shit controls, so the answer is no.

Fair enough. Still if you look at the preview for the next episode you can see metal girders composing the body of the Black Smoke
May 13, 2016 12:36 PM

May 2016
Phoebe3315 said:
Does that actually happen in Resident Evil? I haven't played the series...but that sounds interesting and now I wonder if it could have inspired the Black Smoke?

Didn't play RE series (at least not much apart from a couple mins here and there at friend's place), but bigger monsters consisting of smaller monsters (or their parts) used to be a relatively common trope in SNES and Sega games back in the day.

Out of the more recent releases, first that comes to mind would be Rotten from DaS2
May 13, 2016 12:36 PM

Apr 2011
Intense episode.

Mumei is awesome as usual.

That ending though. Can't wait for the next episode.

May 13, 2016 12:37 PM

Apr 2008
Melt_Banana said:
Phoebe3315 said:

Didn't play RE series (at least not much apart from a couple mins here and there at friend's place), but bigger monsters consisting of smaller monsters (or their parts) used to be a relatively common trope in SNES and Sega games back in the day.

Out of the more recent releases, first that comes to mind would be Rotten from DaS2

Don't forget Deadspace games. The hivemind boss monsters
May 13, 2016 12:39 PM

May 2015
HyperL said:
zal said:

1) When i said to think of them as human beings, i meant not personality/behavior wise, but that they're not just characters made to fulfill their role and be useful in a story, because you know, humans doesn't need a role in the "plot of life" to justify their existance.

2)So you lost faith in a character because she did not participate this one episode? Like i said, everyone has their time to shine and their time not to shine either, if the writers know how to give relevance to a character from time to time, she will have her moment soon or later.

3) Battle experience was not relevant because they're were not planning on fighting, the plan was to pass through without provoking the kabane. Ikoma was the one who planned it because he is one of the few who knows how to work with machines.

1) I am not trying to say that his existence should be justified but if you are doing a scene with all there at least a sentence should come up from his mouth, even thinking of him in that terms, it is strange he doesn't say anything.

2) But that is inconsistencies from the writing, I understand you can't focus everyone at the same moment but ignoring a character that is in the scene is not a good choice. Even the subordinate of Kurusu said more than him. Maybe not faith but hope. She was a promising character, a female with some relevance and not only passive. If in next episodes they improve, good. However this episode did what it did.

3)Battle experience was relevant for the part of the plan that they skipped thanks to Mumei (the one of fighting kabane in a corridor so their number wouldn't count so much, like in 300). The part about machines fitted.

@Phoebe3315
If asking for relevant characters that are in the scene to say relevant things is too much, then my bad for having too much expectations.
May 13, 2016 12:40 PM

Feb 2015
something definitely happened in Mumei's past and that man just triggered somethin inside Mumei. overall it was a great episode as always IMO. well, Mumei went crazy like that was pretty good to made the episode more interesting. but damn that amount of Kabane was crazy. felt like i was seeing Kabane in a bath tub LOL
this is probably what would it be like in real life

LOL XD

Black smoke ? and i almost thought it was a titan LOL. well, it suprised me well. i didn't see that coming. the train can't even move. now i wonder what will happen. on top of that, Mumei and Ikoma trapped inside the cave. now, i think it's impossible to get out of the station safely unless if someone stronger than Mumei came to save all of them (her brother for example)

and after all that happened with Mumei, i still like her. well, it's obvious that i still like her because she went crazy because of her past.

looking foward for the next episode.
why people who vote it 1/5 and 2/5 are still watching this anime ? just wasting time if you are watching anime which you doesn't like tho....
YizelTroMay 13, 2016 12:44 PM
May 13, 2016 12:41 PM

Sep 2010
Sapewloth said:
Tylaen said:

On_the_Lam said:

I don't know if you're aware of this but not all jokes are meant to nor will always cater to your own personal sense of humour. More than one user here actually found Axel's joke to be funny: what are you gonna tell them? Not to laugh?

sacré bleu sapewloth, now we made enemies on the internet. run for your life child

Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2016

932 by wallus81 »»
Apr 20, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2016

524 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 1, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2016

367 by FedeMetal »»
Mar 30, 11:21 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2016

616 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2016

393 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 10:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.