Forum Settings
Forums

TMS Entertainment and Madhouse Producers Discuss 'All Out!!' Production

New
May 3, 2016 8:04 PM

Jul 2009

At the Machi Asobi vol. 16 event on Tuesday, TMS Entertainment producer Toshiyuki Koudate and Madhouse producer Masaki Hayashi discussed production details of the Fall 2016 anime All Out!, an adaptation of the rugby manga by Shiori Amase.

For the joint production, animation studio Madhouse is creating the drawings and animation, while TMS Entertainment is responsible for assembling the final product. According to the producers, the manga editor in charge of All Out!! and director Kenichi Shimizu both have experience playing high school and university rugby. A number of staff members in the production team are also former rugby players, thus they aim to capture some of the human stories in rugby, such as the struggle of former players who have seen the rules of the game change over time.

One challenge animators face is that the former players in the staff all played backs, so in order to accurately capture the scrums which restart play in rugby, they must rely on photographs on how arms move and how the ball is kicked. While discussing the muscular appeal of the character designs, Hayashi pointed out the intentional drawing of the small waistline. With 15 people in a rugby team, the primary characteristic features are their macho, slender, and tall builds.

Although scriptwriter Masahiro Yokotani has worked on Free! and Shingo Irie on Kuroko no Basket, the producers indicated that neither one is the athletic type since their background is the arts, so their work will focus more on character dialogue. Music samples from the series were also played throughout the panel discussion, and it was announced that Yasuharu Takanashi is composing the soundtrack.

The producers also revealed that seiyuu Shouya Chiba did not initially audition for the role of protagonist Kenji Gion, but the staff believed he fit the role after discussing and listening through the audition recordings. Additional cast announcements are expected in the June timeframe.

Machi Asobi vol. 16 runs through Thursday in the city of Tokushima.

Source: Gigazine
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 3, 2016 8:14 PM

Apr 2014
I hope they go all out with the production
May 3, 2016 8:24 PM

Jul 2014
I have no doubt Madhouse will excel at the animations. They collaborated with Production I.G for Ace of Diamond for two long seasons and that was a success. I hope All Out!! turns out to be great as well.
May 3, 2016 8:25 PM

Sep 2013
So madhouse is doing the main work huh, good stuff.

Reminder that rugby > american football
May 3, 2016 8:31 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
From the couple of chapters that I've read, the manga is pretty enjoyable, so I'm hoping that that this is a good adaptation :D
May 3, 2016 8:38 PM

Jan 2009
i guess this will be a new long running anime

i hope Madhouse and the production committee of Hajime No Ippo will do another season already
May 3, 2016 8:39 PM

Nov 2011
j0x said:

i hope Madhouse and the production committee of Hajime No Ippo will do another season already

I think it's confirmed as 25 episodes for now.
May 3, 2016 8:40 PM

Jan 2009
Stark700 said:
j0x said:

I think it's confirmed as 25 episodes for now.

oh ok thats good news since that gives a chance for Madhouse to animate a sequel to Hajime No Ippo too when its production committee decides to make one soon
May 3, 2016 10:03 PM

Mar 2014
It's Madhouse

Obviously it's going to be not shit
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 3, 2016 10:29 PM

Jan 2015
Hypu
Hypu
Hypu

Can't wait for the anime since the manga is amazing
May 3, 2016 10:31 PM

Dec 2012
I didn't know Japs liked Rugby o.o
May 3, 2016 10:35 PM

Feb 2015
don't forget Madhouse made Prince of Stride so i don't think this would be a good one. I HOPE it would turn out to be a good show and i think they are serious for this show. i see 25 episode count. i really hope it will be a good one.
May 3, 2016 10:37 PM
Mar 2010
Very interesting article! Thank you!

Let's hope it's all out success!
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
May 3, 2016 10:46 PM

Jun 2013
> For the joint production, animation studio Madhouse is creating the drawings and animation, while TMS Entertainment is responsible for assembling the final product.

So madhouse is actually handling the animation & TMS doing the extra polishing. Tho I wonder if MadBox will handle the photography & CGI.

Madhouse being based again & getting staff of rugby players (former *cough*)

also looking forward to Yasuharu takanashi's ost

I would like to see a PV soon tho.

Tevens said:
don't forget Madhouse made Prince of Stride so i don't think this would be a good one. I HOPE it would turn out to be a good show and i think they are serious for this show. i see 25 episode count. i really hope it will be a good one.

prince of stride was based on reverse harem otome game tho.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
May 3, 2016 10:59 PM

Apr 2014
It is great to hear that former rugby players are in the production staff. I am looking foward to this anime since i've heard about it
May 3, 2016 11:04 PM

Sep 2012
>scriptwriter who worked on Free

Not sure how I feel about that.. The constant monologues/narration of their own lives/overexplanatios/redundancy/overreaction to melodramatic nothing that was the script of that show almost made me drop it.
May 3, 2016 11:06 PM

Dec 2012
At first I was turned off by the character design, then I checked google images for Japanese rugby players and it surprisingly really accurate. Just hope the art is not too shiny.

Always looking forward to any sports anime these days after Haikyuu s2 ended, so I hope I like it.

ichii_1 said:

Reminder that rugby > american football

Both are incredibly boring anyway.
May 3, 2016 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
moodie said:
I hope they go all out with the production
I so hope too.

Madhouse, show me the sports greatness like what you and IG did with DiaAce.
May 3, 2016 11:33 PM

Sep 2013
holy shit..Naruto's composer is doing this..I'm expecting some epic OSTs right now..XD
Tevens said:
and they also did Diamond no Ace and Hajime no Ippo..
Dude..one just does not quation Madhouse's ability to adapt a Manga..
Prince of Stride was a low budget adaption of a plotless otome game anyway..so it was an established shit..
May 4, 2016 12:57 AM

Feb 2015
malki said:
holy shit..Naruto's composer is doing this..I'm expecting some epic OSTs right now..XD
Tevens said:
Prince of Stride was a low budget adaption of a plotless otome game anyway..so it was an established shit..

yeah...i was wrong. i thought the director was the same person who was directing prince of stride.
but that cover really bothers me. i hope it will not become like Free. too many manservice :/
May 4, 2016 1:27 AM

Dec 2012
Tevens said:

but that cover really bothers me. i hope it will not become like Free. too many manservice :/

It's just shiny. It doesn't imply any fanservice.

Rugby players actually look like that
May 4, 2016 1:41 AM

Oct 2015
Someone should have tell a few words to Madhouse there, that they need to start making some 2nd season for some animes that they made few one them even sell good so they dont have any reason to not make more >_>
May 4, 2016 2:35 AM

Jan 2015
Meh, never been a fan of rugby. But I might give this a watch.

May 4, 2016 3:55 AM
Jul 2018
excited for this!!!!! 25 episodes is a good sign!
May 4, 2016 5:56 AM

Feb 2012
They discussing is it gonna flop or nah cause they know that football show Days is coming.
May 4, 2016 6:25 AM

May 2012
Can't they make football anime with female character ?! Why would anyone want to watch males playing

Just imagine watching these girls playing football
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9wej5wh3s1rfobizo1_500.jpg
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1ntxdgM1z1qzvtljo1_500.jpg
May 4, 2016 6:33 AM

Apr 2014
Tevens said:
malki said:

yeah...i was wrong. i thought the director was the same person who was directing prince of stride.
even if the director was the same and? ur faulting directors for shitty source materials?!? she is an amazing director and made ngnl look absolutely stunning, as well as her other works.
TyrelMay 4, 2016 4:38 PM
May 4, 2016 6:46 AM

Jun 2014
I can't wait to watch this, sports anime are exciting.
May 4, 2016 6:56 AM
Mar 2014
karlstein12 said:
I have no doubt Madhouse will excel at the animations.

ichii_1 said:

Comic_Sans said:
It's Madhouse

sevenPocky said:

Madhouse's involvement won't make this show (or its animation) anything definitively special, so don't get your hopes up. This is a joint production, which means neither studio has the resources to handle it on their own. It'll either end up extremely solid or very sloppy.

ryukan said:
25 episodes is a good sign!

No, not really. It's a risky—dare I say arrogant—move for studios to order anything more than a cour before the show's premiere. If it flops, they'll have irreversibly screwed themselves over.

Ramkec said:
They discussing is it gonna flop or nah cause they know that football show Days is coming.

Sounds about right.
May 4, 2016 6:59 AM

Sep 2013
moodie said:
Tevens said:

even if the director was the same and? ur faulting directors for shitty source materials?!? she is an amazing director and made ngnl look absolutely stunning, as well as her other works.

u just wanted to come in and hate but now ur looking foolsih
dude..there is no need to be so harsh..he is just expressing his opinion..
and yes I agree with you that PoS being shit was mostly the script writer fault not the director's..madhouse shpuld stop wasting her talent on shit like that and give her more LN anime adaptaions to direct..I don't know what they were thinking while giving the Nejimaki Seirei Senki anime to an inexperienced director like Ichimura Tetsuo instead of her..:/
kanarazukarasuMay 4, 2016 7:03 AM
May 4, 2016 7:03 AM

Jul 2014
Max said:
karlstein12 said:

ichii_1 said:

Comic_Sans said:
It's Madhouse

sevenPocky said:

Madhouse's involvement won't make this show (or its animation) anything definitively special, so don't get your hopes up. This is a joint production, which means neither studio has the resources to handle it on their own. It'll either end up extremely solid or very sloppy.

ryukan said:

No, not really. It's a risky—dare I say arrogant—move for studios to order anything more than a cour before the show's premiere. If it flops, they'll have irreversibly screwed themselves over.

Ramkec said:

Sounds about right.

You sound like a pessimist.
May 4, 2016 7:13 AM
Mar 2014
karlstein12 said:

I'm only being realistic. Western anime fans often trivialise the tremendous amount of work put into each and every production, pinning their hopes on unstable or meaningless variables like producers and/or the studios involved.

Never get your hopes up if you're not equally prepared to be let down—that's what I'm trying to say.
May 4, 2016 7:34 AM

Sep 2013
Max said:
karlstein12 said:

I'm only being realistic. Western anime fans often trivialise the tremendous amount of work put into each and every production, pinning their hopes on unstable or meaningless variables like producers and/or the studios involved.

Never get your hopes up if you're not equally prepared to be let down—that's what I'm trying to say.
yeah..studios are just the staffs making the anime and producers are just giving them the money to do so..nothig could affect the quality of the anime at all..
you know what..let's just make Paul the Octopus decides if it's going to be good or not..XD
May 4, 2016 7:35 AM

Mar 2014
Funny how the Madhouse haters keep beating that dead horse and yet an overwhelming majority of the anime Madhouse has produced have turned out to be "great" or at least "good" (at least out of the ones I've watched)

Madhouse is the best studio of the bunch period
Comic_SansMay 4, 2016 7:39 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 4, 2016 7:36 AM

Feb 2015
malki said:
moodie said:

and yes I agree with you that PoS being shit was mostly the script writer fault not the director's..madhouse shpuld stop wasting her talent on shit like that and give her more LN anime adaptaions to direct..I don't know what they were thinking while giving the Nejimaki Seirei Senki anime to an inexperienced director like Ichimura Tetsuo instead of her..:/

chill chill. i didn't mean that. i know she was the one who made NGNL and i respect her. but when she made prince of stride i was a little bit disappointed with the confusing character development. don't worry, i still respect her let alone i admire her for directing NGNL. just for prince of stride, i was a little bit disappointed. chill m8 xD i didn't mean to badmouth the director or blame the director. it's just my opinion.
YizelTroMay 4, 2016 9:28 AM
May 4, 2016 7:52 AM
May 2014
Studios don't matter anyway, it's the staff that do.

With that in mind, the fact that the director Kisejuu is on this worries me a bit, not only because Kisejuu was just generally bad, but the direction in Kisejuu was incredibly lifeless and stale. Hope he has improved for this show.
May 4, 2016 7:55 AM

Jul 2014
Max said:
karlstein12 said:

You certainly make a point that we as fans and not generally Westerners love to pander over the Studios and the big name celebrities behind a project. But to call it unstable is a big undervalue especially when the talk is about Madhouse. That is one of the big guns in the whole industry we're talking about, and time and time again they have done shows that are so faithful to their sources and generally make it better with their resource of talented workers; who succeed most of the time when Madhouse spurns out a show -- Let alone only in the sports genre.

The hype doesn't come as a surprise to me at all. And the talk is certainly not about having high hopes and/or being neutral till the point the show comes out, but its just anticipation which is natural when your beloved studios is in the works again.

I personally think that Days will be anticipated for more than All Out!! as I think the general MAL populace would be accustomed to Soccer/Football than the evident majority of Americans who know Rugby/NFL.
But the fact that you sided with the person who literally indicated that Days would fare better than All Out!! before they have even begun is what makes me thinks that you're a pessimist and a hater.

Comic_Sans said:
Funny how the Madhouse haters keep beating that dead horse and yet an overwhelming majority of the anime Madhouse has produced have turned out to be "great" or at least "good" (at least out of the ones I've watched)

Madhouse is the best studio of the bunch period

You tell 'em!!
May 4, 2016 8:15 AM

Jun 2013
Max said:
karlstein12 said:

ichii_1 said:

Comic_Sans said:
It's Madhouse

sevenPocky said:

ryukan said:

Ramkec said:

Sounds about right.

you are certainly very wrong, bud.

1) Joint production means very little. It doesnt indicate sloppy production values nor high. It also doesnt say that studio personnels lack the resources. There are many reasons why something goes in joint production, e.g. In diamond no ace, a producer in prod committee wasnt sure that madhouse would handle the show well & appeal to their audience so they brought in IG. AND YET almost everything was handled at madhouse for 3 years, IG personnel only appearing in few credits. Mostly just used for brand recognition among sports fans.

It could just be a producer using madhouse name to appeal to their specific market OR TMS having too much on their plate and asking MadHouse to handle the main work of their show. Madhouse handles 100+ eps on yearly basis, so they arent certainly lacking.

2) People are expecting good production because of madhouse' portfolio and they're right to do so.

3) Studios alone dont decide the episode count, many parties in prod committees do (which studios are part of, mostly not).

Ramkec said:

Sounds about right.[/quote]

I say it sounds hilarious.

RoyalTanki said:

With that in mind, the fact that the director Kisejuu is on this worries me a bit, not only because Kisejuu was just generally bad, but the direction in Kisejuu was incredibly lifeless and stale. Hope he has improved for this show.

I thought parasyte was good, but I cant refute the comment about stale direction.

Perhaps he'll improve & put more soul into it since he was a formar player, eh? we'll see.

Mod Edit: Merged consecutive posts; please use the edit button.
TenshoMay 4, 2016 9:00 AM
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
May 4, 2016 8:31 AM
Mar 2014
RoyalTanki said:

Yeah, that was my point.

@Comic_Sans
Not saying Madhouse is bad by any means, just that they're clearly not managing this project. TMS is.

Anyway, I'll leave you guys to it.
May 4, 2016 9:08 AM

Mar 2014
@Comic_Sans
Not saying Madhouse is bad by any means, just that they're clearly not managing this project. TMS is.

For the joint production, animation studio Madhouse is creating the drawings and animation, while TMS Entertainment is responsible for assembling the final product
It doesn't matter if they're only creating the drawings and animation because when it comes down to it they're still one of the producers, and thus it's almost guaranteed it'll turn out good
Nico- said:
May 4, 2016 9:23 AM
Sep 2012
Hmm I'm interested in this now seeing the staff. Considering both studios have produced amazing sports anime, I don't see how they can mess this up. I do love my sports shows too so am always keen for more.
May 4, 2016 9:39 AM

Sep 2013
RoyalTanki said:

The only bad thing that came out of OPM, the "studios are useless" meme.

Each studio has their specific style and quality, you think All Out would be the same if Shaft, Toei or A 1 did it?
May 4, 2016 9:59 AM

Sep 2013
Max said:
RoyalTanki said:

Yeah, that was my point.

@Comic_Sans

yeah..looks like that Canipa Effect bullshit video about OPM still affecting some folks..and why the hell no one shows up and say something like "studios don't matter" when it comes to.. let's say IG or Sunrise..? why no boddy said that when everyone was praising Deen to heaven after they annouced S2 of KonoSoba and Shouwa..? no..that applies only when it comes to Madhouse it appears..lol

you said that staffs are the only thing matters, the director and the character designer are from Madhouse..while none of TMS staffs are annouced to work on this anime....yet you implied that TMS is the main studio..so let me tell you something..
you are one of those Madhouse haters..
May 4, 2016 10:06 AM

Apr 2014
malki said:
moodie said:

i know its harsh but honestly i hate misinformation being spread on this forum it grings my gears

tbh idc if the guy doing it is new it could mean he will go all out. i believe in madhouse and ln even though its never a perfect adaption its a great anime
May 4, 2016 10:33 AM

Sep 2013
RoyalTanki said:

"What matters most is the staff involved. In fact, with the exception of Kyoto Animation almost every studio uses freelancers for their work. One Punch Man for example, had almost no Madhouse staff working on it, and was instead mostly freelancers and people who regularly work with BONES.

The reason for this is NOT because Madhouse had connections, it is because director Shingo Natsume had connections (since he was the director of Space Dandy, which is, you know, the best animated TV anime of all time?) and brought them onto One Punch Man.

So? you think the other studio's would have gone above and beyond on a normal budget like madhouse did?
You think Shingo Natsume would have made the same quality and style if he was working at shaft? or even got hired at all?

And all the other examples have to do with BUDGET and are not an outlier like opm, so the studio's must compensate for lack of budget.
You think kenshin ova's are the same as low budget DEEN works?
ichii_1May 4, 2016 10:36 AM
May 4, 2016 10:54 AM
May 2014
ichii_1 said:
RoyalTanki said:

"What matters most is the staff involved. In fact, with the exception of Kyoto Animation almost every studio uses freelancers for their work. One Punch Man for example, had almost no Madhouse staff working on it, and was instead mostly freelancers and people who regularly work with BONES.

The reason for this is NOT because Madhouse had connections, it is because director Shingo Natsume had connections (since he was the director of Space Dandy, which is, you know, the best animated TV anime of all time?) and brought them onto One Punch Man.

So? you think the other studio's would have gone above and beyond on a normal budget like madhouse did?
You think Shingo Natsume would have made the same quality and style if he was working at shaft? or even got hired at all?

And all the other examples have to do with BUDGET and are not an outlier like opm, so the studio's must compensate for lack of budget.

Where's you're evidence that most well animated shows have a high budget? I don't see it, and I highly doubt that Haifuri has that high of a budget.

Shingo Natsume has connections to most people in the industry. So yes, it would have the same quality. Maybe not the same style (becuase Akiyuki Shinbou would likely be involved), but I highly doubt just being that a different studio would stop Natsume from being able to get the animators he needed. Since most of the animators on OPM were FREELANCERS. Not in-house Madhouse staff.

And no, Shingo Natsume wouldn't be hired at Shaft, becuase it wouldn't really mesh well with Akiyuki Shinbou's style, now would it? Also, the style that Shinbou implements is not SHAFT'S style, it's shinbou's.
May 4, 2016 11:32 AM

Apr 2014
RoyalTanki said:
ichii_1 said:

Where's you're evidence that most well animated shows have a high budget? I don't see it, and I highly doubt that Haifuri has that high of a budget.

Shingo Natsume has connections to most people in the industry. So yes, it would have the same quality. Maybe not the same style (becuase Akiyuki Shinbou would likely be involved), but I highly doubt just being that a different studio would stop Natsume from being able to get the animators he needed. Since most of the animators on OPM were FREELANCERS. Not in-house Madhouse staff.

And no, Shingo Natsume wouldn't be hired at Shaft, becuase it wouldn't really mesh well with Akiyuki Shinbou's style, now would it? Also, the style that Shinbou implements is not SHAFT'S style, it's shinbou's.
can u please stop takking about studios u know nothing bout specialty shaft studio
May 4, 2016 11:43 AM
May 2014
moodie said:
RoyalTanki said:

can u please stop takking about studios u know nothing bout specialty shaft studio

I've watched Madoka Magica, five episodes of Bakemongatari, ten episodes of Nisekoi, along with a episode of EF a Tale of Memories.

I get the gist of Shinbou's style.

And look at Shaft's earlier output before Shinbou came along and took over, doesn't look anything like what their shows do now, do they?

Just because I haven't watched much of their stuff does not mean I don't understand what they are like.

And what over studios aside from Shaft, prey tell, do I "know nothing about"? Just wondering~
May 4, 2016 12:03 PM

Jul 2015
Sadly is just a sport anime ...
May 4, 2016 12:04 PM

Sep 2013
RoyalTanki said:
malki said:
I stopped reading after the "Space Dandy, which is, you know, the best animated TV anime of all time" part..lol

Well it's true.

And I love how my argument is automatically invalid just because of one statement lol
your argument..? dude, you are just copy-pasting what canipa siad in his video..and the fact that you actually pointed in this topic that SD is the "best animated TV anime" only proves that..and he is wrong..I can name at least 20 TV anime that have far better animation than SD..you can't take someone who says that the 6-tail naruto vs pain fight had "fantastic animation"..
and if you want something to make your argument invalid, then there you are..let me quot myself for the 588th time:

malki said:

you don't even know what does animation studio mean..you basically think that studios are just buildings where animators do their jobs.. Madhouse is just the name of some random garage where Shingo Natsume made OPM..right..? well, YOU ARE WRONG..if that was the case..then why the hell do they iclude the name of a goddamn building (Madhouse) in the OP/ED credits..? and who the hell did they mean when they said in OPM's trailer "from the creators of HxH 2011"..? a building..? seriously..? studios arent just buildings.., there is a prisident who decides which works they will produce, which works they will accept to be hired to animate..and whether they should be part of the production comitte or not..and there are a bunch of in-house staffs (deiractors, animators, ect..) usually..those staffs have really high salary..thus..studios chose just the highly skilled and talanted people to be in-house staffs..and they mostly work in movies (the number of in-house staffs vary from studio to another), and there are managers who schedule the production of the animes..and chose the directors/staffs and make them work under the best conditions.. how much liberty the director will have to chose the staffs he want to work with depends on the studio..who take into consideration how expansive those staffs are..and how much they have of budget..
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
3 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

10 by malvarez1 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

11 by MantaRaydiated »»
Today, 10:50 AM

» 'Hitoribocchi no Isekai Kouryaku' Unveils Production Staff, Additional Cast, Teaser Promo for Fall 2024

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Azuchi »»
Today, 4:57 AM

» Entertainment Group Strawberry Prince Gets Anime Movie in Summer 2024

Vindstot - Mar 24

4 by Wasimat »»
Today, 2:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.