Forum Settings
Forums

Do you find yourself generally liking anime from the opposite gender's demographic?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 25, 2016 7:29 AM

Apr 2010
I think in my case it's pretty 50-50...

Apr 25, 2016 7:32 AM

Apr 2016
yes i enjoy more shoujo more than seinens
I LOVE FOOD THO
Apr 25, 2016 7:43 AM

Nov 2008
Yes, of course. Demographics don't mean shit to me, really....though I do get pretty excited every time a new shoujo series is announced because there are so FEW of them compared to other types. D:

Apr 25, 2016 7:53 AM

Feb 2014
No, not at all, I have a somewhat decent amount of shoujo watched, but not josei at all, they are 100% uninteresting to me.
Apr 25, 2016 7:56 AM

May 2014
All the time!
I'd much rather sink my teeth into a Shounen or Seinen anime than a Shoujo or Josei!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2016 8:00 AM

Apr 2016
Generally no, but i have liked some shoujo romance anime.

Unfortunately the last one i watched was diabolik lovers, and it was crappy.
U just watch her get bit the entire time with a vague hint of plot at the end. Her getting bit IS the plot one could say.
Apr 25, 2016 8:06 AM

Feb 2015
i'm open with every genre except Yaoi.
but if i look at my scores, i'm more into Drama with Sci-fi/Horror/Supernatural/Mecha,etc..., SoL, Battleship, and Cool stuff (?) those are my fav genre.
i like shoujo too but not my fav.
Apr 25, 2016 10:11 AM

Jan 2015
Shoujo romances are kawaii as fuck m8.
Apr 25, 2016 10:49 AM
Sep 2011
I'm all about magical girl and other fluffy warm shoujo type stuff. I generally dislike my own target demographic (seinen), especially when it comes to shows with cute girl characters.

The artificial blandness of "cute girls doing cute things" can't compare to the more genuine and endearing characters in shoujo works that also do more than just sit around drinking tea or talking about how to eat a chocolate cornet.
Apr 25, 2016 3:12 PM

Nov 2015
I actively don't watch or enjoy much shoujo. I'm much more into Seinen and Shonen.
Apr 25, 2016 3:25 PM

Mar 2016
well ao haru ride is one if my fav anime and it's a shojo , and i really enjoyed watching kids on the slope though it's a josei , so as long as the anime is entertaining and i find the story interesting i don't mind watching anything 😁
Apr 25, 2016 3:35 PM
Jun 2015
I do enjoy about 90% of the Josei I've seen i think that the drama and stories are put together very well
Apr 25, 2016 5:27 PM

Dec 2012
Generally, I prefer my own demographic (seinen), but there are plenty of shojo and Josei series I've seen and liked too. Shojo and Josei account for at least 105 entries in my list that I know about, most of which I rated above a 5.
KruszerApr 25, 2016 5:38 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 25, 2016 7:11 PM

Jun 2013
I'm female and I much prefer shounen and seinen animes/mangas.

As for Ouran Koukou Host Club, that anime is so damn funny I'm sure both gender watch it.
Apr 25, 2016 8:10 PM

Dec 2015
I mostly like Shounen and Seinen anime more then Shoujo and Josie.
Apr 25, 2016 10:34 PM

Sep 2013
I don't pay a lot of attention to demographic categories when I pick programs to watch, and all four (shounen, shoujo, seinen, josei) are represented on my list. Given that I am a middle aged woman, josei should be the demographic that is most compatible with me. Unfortunately, anime series in this demographic category are relatively few in number compared to the others, so I find that I have to look elsewhere. (If the visual style of comics didn't rub me the wrong way, maybe I would seek out josei manga, which is apparently widely available.)

I find that series targeted toward adult men (seinen) often appeal to me. Many of the more bizarre and crazy shows fall into this demographic. Kill la Kill, for example, is quite fascinating, has a great deal of intellectual depth, and is a lot of fun. Additionally, workplace sitcoms often fall into this demographic, but I find that they easily cross gender lines, and they should appeal to middle aged people of either gender who are mired in the unending drudgery of work as I am.

That said, I am strongly drawn to shows that are targeted toward my own gender. Josei anime may be relatively uncommon, but shoujo is a different story, and I have had a soft spot for magical girl shows ever since I was a child, when I religiously watched reruns of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Just this evening, I finished the first season of Sailor Moon, and I am also watching the Chinese series Balala: The Fairies, which is about as cute and girly a show as I have ever seen.

I think the conclusion here is that every demographic category potentially has something to offer, and anyone who appreciates a good story should be open minded.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Apr 25, 2016 11:27 PM

Jan 2016
ModeratelyHuman said:
Shoujo romances are kawaii as fuck m8.

Well, that's their main selling point.... I swear, the goal of every anime in the shoujo demographic is to bring you death via warm fuzzy feelings.. xD
Apr 26, 2016 12:33 AM

May 2015
CapitalistGod said:
Well, I just took a look at my scores and I generally like josei and shoujo stuff... (to the point that, I can't really say I have disliked an anime from those demographic)
The themes of anime from those demographic generally appeal to me on a conceptual level.

They will probably also appeal to me more. Stories targeted at women seems to focus more on relationships and human connection. Notice how cheap female fantasies like Twilight is about connecting to someone, whereas male fantasies like Game of Thrones are all about conquest and force.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 26, 2016 2:54 AM

Sep 2013
Yeah, I'm really into mecha right now, specifically UC Gundam, and I've noticed the fanbase is almost overwhelmingly male. One Gundam forum I've found is almost entirely populated with 20-35 year old men too. It's a nice change of pace, and they're pretty welcoming, so it's not a bad thing, though I do feel out of place at times.
Apr 26, 2016 10:20 AM

Feb 2016
Yes, shounen is life and I find it more interesting than shoujo even though I'm a girl.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2016 10:24 AM

Feb 2015
Demographics don't matter as long as show is good

As a girl I prefer shounen/seinen over shoujo though.
Apr 26, 2016 10:30 AM
Jan 2016
Occasionally I do, with a few genre exceptions. I just don't like fanservice (of any gender) and mens anime is full of a ton of it, all the time, and with no aim or purpose. It's pretty annoying.

Yuri targeted at men is pretty trash, tbh. Yaoi targeted at women is trash, but wow yuri targeted at men is bad.
Apr 26, 2016 10:53 AM

Dec 2015
I do like certain Shoujo stuff. If I can find a good romance anime without all those bullshit "its a misunderstanding," and then they don't talk to each other for 10 episodes because the MC girl see's her love interest talking to a friend in the hallway which happens to be another girl that is his friend. Puhhhlease lol. I'm a guy by the way, also I don't mind some anime with yaoish vibes in them like Shinsekai Yori and No. 6.
Apr 26, 2016 10:56 AM

Jun 2015
Why of course. In fact, shoujo happen to be more appealing to me than...say...My Little Pony.
Apr 26, 2016 12:54 PM

Apr 2014
Not really, but Ghost Hunt was ok. I generally try to avoid shoujo and josei anime.
Apr 26, 2016 1:15 PM
Feb 2015
I haven't seen a bad Josei, then again I've only watched like 5 so...
Apr 26, 2016 3:57 PM

Jul 2015
Sadly no. The only Josei I've seen is Rakugo which was fantastic and the only Shoujo I've read is Orange which was also fantastic, or is so far I actually haven't finished it. I don't really no where to begin to find series I would like so if anyone has any good ones I'd probably check them out but for the most part I prefer Seinen or Shounen anime as I am a male.
"Few, but ripe." - C.F. Gauss
Apr 26, 2016 4:38 PM
Apr 2016
Yeah, quite a lot, actually. Although I do watch girly shoujo stuff and usually enjoy it, I'd way rather watch anime that's aimed more at boys.
Apr 26, 2016 4:56 PM
May 2014
I've always found the notion of separating anime based on which gender it's marketed to be generally a waste of time. Most of the girls I know list the typical "shounen" classics (eg., FMA, Evangelion, Cowboy Bepbop) among their favorites, although it doesn't seem as common for guys to watch anime marketed to women. Then again, I'm one of those feminists who would like to see gender as a concept fade out of importance anyways.

Without going on a digression about post-gender feminism, I find that most of the anime I enjoy typically don't have any of the gender-based tags associated with them, at least according to MAL tagging. Looking at my favorites, Monster's tagged as Seinen, though I think that anime kind of goes beyong that tag, FMA:B is a tagged as Shounen, though I would categorize it more as seinen if we're going to use those tags, and the rest have no gender taggs. Most of my 7-10s are either marketed to males, though are often enjoyed by females, or have no gender-related tags. Then my bottom few include a lot of shounen-ai, though this isn't because I hate shounen-ai (in fact, I enjoy it a lot for what it is as a gay guy., I guess you could infer from my list that I prefer anime marketed to my demographic, but I think that's mostly because I haven't seen as much Shojo or Josei, not because I particularly dislike what I've seen.

TL;DR Yes, I do.
Apr 26, 2016 5:18 PM

May 2015
I do like all shoujos but Host Club and My Little Monster are pretty nice (Ao Haru is shit though) and Joseis just tend to be calmass shows thatre nice to watch
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Apr 26, 2016 5:38 PM

Sep 2012
I have only one Shoujo and two Josei anime with a high rating. Then again my exposure to these demographics is limited, and I tend to stay away from Shoujo stuff, simply because the tropes don't sit that well with me. The few Josei I've seen tend to have good characterization, not sure if I can generalize here or if this just applies to the ones I've seen and loved (Chihayafuru and Rakugo).
Apr 26, 2016 10:07 PM

Jul 2014
Yes! Some of my favourite manga and anime are shoujo and josei series. I just wish there were more second season continuations though. Ao Haru Ride season 2 and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun season 2 WHEN???? (probably never, lol).
Apr 26, 2016 10:10 PM

Sep 2012
I used to watch a lot of shoujo just because they were shoujo.

Girly stuff can quite often be more enjoyable than masculine stuff for me.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 27, 2016 1:16 AM

Feb 2016
Yep. I'm all about the shonen, and sometimes, seinen.

^ that sounds pedo-y, but we're talking about genres here >.<
Apr 27, 2016 1:24 AM
Jan 2016
I will watch and generally like almost anything so, I guess? Don't really have a ton of experience watching Shoujo, but I doubt I would dislike it.
Apr 27, 2016 3:05 AM

Mar 2012
Even though I am an adult male, I find that most seinen magical girl anime are pretty crap. Madoka's great but considering a big chunk of its audience is teenage girls I'd say it doesn't really fit into the same category as something like Prisma Illya which is mostly a guy's only club.

Even if I do lump Madoka in with all the other magical girl anime (Which would be really unfair considering its intentions and ambitions are wildly different to something like Precure) I still think Cardcaptor Sakura is the better show out of the two.

Also shojo romance is SOOO much better than most of the guy centric stuff. At least it is generally.
SeibaaHomuApr 27, 2016 3:09 AM
Apr 27, 2016 3:06 AM

Jan 2014
Basically, I like everything equally. As long as the story is captivating... (and the art is cute and characters are likable)

I don't know why, but I think shoujo is much better in anime format. On the other hand, shounen is better as manga.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Apr 27, 2016 5:04 AM
Mar 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
CapitalistGod said:
Well, I just took a look at my scores and I generally like josei and shoujo stuff... (to the point that, I can't really say I have disliked an anime from those demographic)
The themes of anime from those demographic generally appeal to me on a conceptual level.

They will probably also appeal to me more. Stories targeted at women seems to focus more on relationships and human connection. Notice how cheap female fantasies like Twilight is about connecting to someone, whereas male fantasies like Game of Thrones are all about conquest and force.

Lol what? Twilight isn't about connecting with someone - it's about being wanted and fought over, it has very little going for it on an emotional level. Also I wouldn't call GoT a male fantasy per say, the females in that series are too developed for it to be called that, it's not conquer a girl and she'll love you, it's conquer a girl and she'll resent you until she can finally stick a knife in your back.

At least pick a comparable, cliche YA book to compare trash like twilight to...

But in regards to the OP sure, I enjoy lots of Shoujo's when they are done right and have enjoyed josei's though not as much tbh, I generally prefer the warm fluffy relationship to a lot of the more realistic Josei ones.
Apr 27, 2016 12:02 PM

May 2015
Kreion said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Lol what? Twilight isn't about connecting with someone - it's about being wanted and fought over, it has very little going for it on an emotional level. Also I wouldn't call GoT a male fantasy per say, the females in that series are too developed for it to be called that, it's not conquer a girl and she'll love you, it's conquer a girl and she'll resent you until she can finally stick a knife in your back.

At least pick a comparable, cliche YA book to compare trash like twilight to...

But in regards to the OP sure, I enjoy lots of Shoujo's when they are done right and have enjoyed josei's though not as much tbh, I generally prefer the warm fluffy relationship to a lot of the more realistic Josei ones.

Twilight is still, at its heart, about love and connection. Sure, the relationship in it is unhealthy and I never heard a good argument why the books are bad. Nevertheless, this is what they're about.

Drogo X Daenerys is EXACTLY this conquer-the-girl relationship, only more violent.

GOT is pretty trashy. Clunky prose, a story with no direction and no destination, misogyny, wall-to-wall rape'n'gore.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 27, 2016 12:38 PM

Jul 2014
Yes, but it has more to do with a hatred for a lot of the tropes recycled in anime aimed at guys than a general love for shoujo etc. (Specifically action anime and the grimderp and idiotic exposition/ dialogue that they tend to have)

I do like a lot of the shoujo I've come across though, and I always found it easier to be friends with girls than guys, because again, guy talk is usually immature and crass.
Apr 27, 2016 1:07 PM

Feb 2014
Never thought about this before. I mean, there no such thing as content for girls or for boys.
Actually in the past I really liked shoujo, but in the last few years I only watched shounen and seinen.
In the end, the only thing we need to agree on is the fact that everyone likes tits.
Apr 27, 2016 1:14 PM

Oct 2013
Not really when i comes to anime, barely any. Motly applies to mangas though still not that much either.

I see Shoujo mangas and I'm like "Boring" but I see Josei and I'm willing to give it a go.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Apr 27, 2016 4:46 PM

Sep 2015
Demographics doesn't usually work when it comes to anime. In some cases, a specific shounen anime may not fit the stereotype of a shounen anime, the same goes with other demographics. So in the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what its demographic is as long as the story is enjoyable and I like the genre
Apr 27, 2016 5:35 PM
Mar 2016
I haven't seen it yet, but I bet I will love Free since I was a member of a highschool swimteam even though I heard Free be described as the anime version of Chipendale.
I am new to the anime community, please feel free to suggest any anime for me to watch and review. List is currently in my Bio.

Currently watching: Ghost in the Shell; Stand Alone Complex

"Some people get kicks, stomping on a dream. But I don't let it, let it get me down, 'cause this fine o'l world keeps spinning around." -That's Life, Frank Sinatra
Apr 27, 2016 7:35 PM

Mar 2016
Yes, I am a male and I much prefer Shoujo to Shonen. IMO Shoujo as a genre is generally far superior to Shonen in terms of artistic depth and complexity, and I've never understood the reason for that.

Revolutionary Girl Utena > All
Apr 27, 2016 8:31 PM

Sep 2012
spinninground said:

wait a sec is that arrow pointed at me
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 27, 2016 8:34 PM

Feb 2016
Korrvo said:
spinninground said:

wait a sec is that arrow pointed at me

Bad arrow! It wasn't supposed to point at you. You're not pedo-y, you're just Southern xP
Apr 27, 2016 8:34 PM

Sep 2012
[heavy southern accent]dem fuggin str8[/heavy southern accent]
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 3 hours ago

33 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Reason versus emotion in the perception of anime

RobertBobert - Yesterday

5 by TRC_Randy »»
9 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

121 by zoeanime13 »»
9 minutes ago

» What anime can be considered "the Evangelion of x"?

Eternal-Destiny - Dec 9, 2023

43 by AzafuseKingTora »»
12 minutes ago

» If you give an anime a 10 do you genuinely think It Is a masterpiece?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 9

46 by TRC_Randy »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.