Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 27, 2016 4:22 PM

Dec 2015
Me.. Kinda of OK with this episode and it makes me wanna watch more eps to see how they will show each person's ability since in this eps the detective army looks so strong and also more port mafia member with ability and IMO, it's too early to stop watching for whoever doesnt read the manga, like myself since the show itself is not rushing and it's too early to judge aka giving score for it. The only thing that bother me till today, I really wanna see the Detective Leader's ability All Men are Equal. I wonder what is his ability do. XD
EufieApr 27, 2016 4:57 PM
"It’s so ri-ri-diculous that I h-hope you understand even if I st-st-stutter, my t-t-talking ability is a little lacking
Still I wanted to at least s-speak co-co-correctly but my mouth keeps getting c-c-crooked because I lo-lo-love it so much, love it so mu-much "

[signature]
Apr 27, 2016 4:26 PM

Jul 2014
This show is not very good. Easily the weakest I'm watching this season. The humor isn't funny, Daichi is the only likable character so far, and the villains are lame at best. I'm confused by all of the praise it's getting here, like I'm missing something glaringly obvious. Help!
"Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived." -Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)
Apr 27, 2016 4:38 PM

Jul 2015
BlazerAE said:
BlueBalls said:

He didn't get raped, her ability

This makes it a little bit less weird...

The thing is
Apr 27, 2016 5:11 PM

Apr 2014
This week's episode was pretty entertaining. The scene with Dazai trying to ask the waitress to commit double-suicide made my day XDD And there's something I wanna get out of the way. This might be too long or may end up being a rant sorta, so just ignore if you want to.
Apr 27, 2016 5:33 PM

Dec 2008
Black Lizard got their asses WHOOPED!!
Apr 27, 2016 6:26 PM
Apr 2015
Would have loved to see how the agency sweeped over those Black Lizard guys. Oh well, maybe some day. Also though, the flashback scenes are getting repetitive
Apr 27, 2016 6:59 PM
Feb 2014
I didn't really enjoy the last 2 episodes, but this episode was pretty good.

I'm liking the direction this anime is taking. Was curious and had a read through the first few chapters of the manga, and I definitely feel like the Anime's done more than a great job adapting the manga (I'm even inclined to say the anime does a better job than the manga itself).

I liked the added scenes too. Though like a couple have mentioned already, the flashbacks are getting slightly repetitive

Also, unlike the previous 2 episodes, I found the comedy in this one rather... smooth? Didn't feel noticeably awkward. Not spectacular, but not detrimental to my enjoyment. Even gave me a little smile with Dazai's Double Suicide act.

Oh yes, quick question, what did that scene mean when Kunikada asked the MC whether he'd seen his glasses?
Duri1nApr 27, 2016 7:03 PM
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Apr 27, 2016 7:29 PM

Dec 2014
The detective Agency is really something.......
Port Mafia seemed so lame
Apr 27, 2016 7:31 PM

Nov 2014
Honestly a pretty weak episode. The big bad antagonist is laughably destroyed
Hi there
Apr 27, 2016 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
And this is why people I dropped the manga immediately. I thought they could have changed somethings but NOPE, they had to add more of what I despised the most from the manga. Uuuugh... Overall the episode was the weakest personally. Not gonna lie.

Other than that since next week we're getting Edogawa Ranpo which would be rather entertaining... Let's see how it goes of course.
Apr 27, 2016 7:50 PM

Feb 2015
Can someone explain why the villians are so weak, I thought they would be dangerous but this is getting annoying. And it need to get more serious, too much comedy.
Apr 27, 2016 7:55 PM

Mar 2015
Z_Tetriminos said:
- We don't have much things to show in this episode, what do we do to make it 20 minutes long?
- A LOT OF SLOW-PACED EVANGELION-LIKE SCENES!!!

Omg this is exactly what I was thinking! Also with that orphanage scene. I practically have it memorized by now

Apr 27, 2016 8:16 PM

Oct 2009
Pretty ok episode. Not really that gripping or anything that'd make me continue the whole story, but I'd still watch it just to see what the other character's abilities are.
I hope it gets interesting soon. It's pretty boring right now, with all the melodrama and the bounty on Atsushi's head lol

On to ep 5

Apr 27, 2016 8:41 PM

Feb 2015
I don't like the girl but maybe that's just me.

Also, this episode has rather weird pacing. Meh.
Apr 27, 2016 9:10 PM

Sep 2014
but but but but the villains looked so badass! That was a goddamn troll LOL
Apr 27, 2016 9:29 PM

Mar 2016
themegamancave said:
This show is not very good. Easily the weakest I'm watching this season. The humor isn't funny, Daichi is the only likable character so far, and the villains are lame at best. I'm confused by all of the praise it's getting here, like I'm missing something glaringly obvious. Help!

You are not missing anything . It's just that people have different opinions than you , and actually like the show . The Comedy is subjective after all . The show is gradually moving into the dark stuff apparently . I find it funny how many people saw seinen tag and watched the pv And went way ahead of themselves expecting something dark and edgy right off the bat . It's easy , if you aren't hooked by this show , then maybe drop it ?
Apr 27, 2016 9:32 PM
Aug 2015
Dammit, Naomi's still alive... I was hoping that she died last episode. Honestly, how do you even recover from a huge hole in your chest?

Wow, the Black Lizards got rekt by the Agency! I thought that the Black Lizards would beat the Agency by far, but nope xD
Apr 27, 2016 9:58 PM

Aug 2015
ClavisM said:
I thought it was an okay episode. A bit anticlimactic, but I still enjoyed it.

Plus I never thought I could relate so well to an anime character

I thought the exact same thing the moment I saw that scene.
Apr 27, 2016 10:00 PM

Aug 2015
If the series continues at the pace that it is currently going at, this is very well going to end up being one of my favorite anime's ever. Really enjoying this anime, can't wait for it to continue getting darker, and darker of an anime!
Apr 27, 2016 11:11 PM

Jul 2012
I really enjoyed this episode compare to the others, this time it was entertaining enough to keep me watching. The only problem i have with this show is, it keeps showing Atsushi past every 10 minutes. Yes we know he had it hard while growing up, you don't have to show it to us every dam minute.

3/5
Apr 27, 2016 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
This show is anime purgatory. Not bad enough to drop, but not good enough to give a damn about. The villains and action are pretty lame and the comedy isn't very funny.

The next episode sounds like it could be fun though.
Apr 28, 2016 12:10 AM

Nov 2014
maybe it's just me, but when i read the manga, i remember being so excited and reading it nonstop, and when i heard that the anime is coming out, i had been so hyped and can barely sleep at night.

but when i actually watch the anime, all the hype and enthusiasm is gone. i paused this episode more than 5 times cuz i got bored and went to do other stuff. I'm not sure what puts me off. Maybe it's the overcomedic, or maybe how the mc's childhood scene shows up so many fucking times (it's not like that in the manga), but something about the anime just makes it boring for me.

Guys, if you don't like this anime, give the manga a try. You might like it since the anime seems to have poorly adapted the source.
Apr 28, 2016 12:29 AM

Jul 2007
kyle8998 said:
Honestly a pretty weak episode. The big bad antagonist is laughably destroyed

Absolutely nobody in the agency thought of them as "big bad antagonists", as shown by Dazai's reaction last week.
Apr 28, 2016 12:39 AM

Nov 2014
themegamancave said:

i think it's hyped cuz the characters are all based on real world authors

Atlas77 said:
Can someone explain why the villians are so weak, I thought they would be dangerous but this is getting annoying. And it need to get more serious, too much comedy.

because they're not the "ultimate" villain
Z_Tetriminos said:
- We don't have much things to show in this episode, what do we do to make it 20 minutes long?

This is pretty strange, because the manga definitely has enough story to get a 24 episode full length anime. So I don't get why they make it 1 cour and add so many slow paced scenes... (maybe they want to end at a specific spot?)
ttcchenApr 28, 2016 12:44 AM
Apr 28, 2016 12:42 AM

Jan 2015
sleeplesstown said:
This show is anime purgatory. Not bad enough to drop, but not good enough to give a damn about. The villains and action are pretty lame and the comedy isn't very funny.

The next episode sounds like it could be fun though.

This is how I feel about this show. So even though technically I dropped it, I'm still kinda lurking around it to see if drops the lame pacing.

At this point it feels like a waste of some good looking character designs.
Apr 28, 2016 12:55 AM

Mar 2016
ttcchen said:
themegamancave said:

Atlas77 said:

Z_Tetriminos said:

This is pretty strange, because the manga definitely has enough story to get a 24 episode full length anime. So I don't get why they make it 1 cour and add so many slow paced scenes... (maybe they want to end at a specific spot?)

It's a 2 cour . 2nd cour airs in october
Apr 28, 2016 1:23 AM

Nov 2014
DragonSlayer_19 said:
ttcchen said:

It's a 2 cour . 2nd cour airs in october

oh thank god. Which means thankfully the plot won't be rushed.
Apr 28, 2016 1:28 AM

Nov 2012
lmao that raid by the black mafia sure ended up being anticlimactic.
Apr 28, 2016 2:53 AM

Sep 2012
So Black Lizard full of clown eh. i was expecting it will turn into bloody scene when they raid the agency but meh.

Apr 28, 2016 3:11 AM

Dec 2014
That was a nice episode.
Black Lizard were hyped as the OP unit of Port Mafia, Those commanders had that intense standoff scene as well and I totally believed they were super strong.
Turns out the Agency is way too OP xD

Started laughing when Kunikida began lamenting over the 'Worst-case scenario' coming true.

Though I personally would have loved a fight scene showing the Agency wrecking Black Lizard and like most people have mentioned, The orphanage scene is losing it's impact.
Apr 28, 2016 3:45 AM

Mar 2009
haha wow. I guess those guys weren't so tough after all. That totally subverted my expectations.

I was going to ask about the weird doctor in this episode and her odd behavior, but it was already answered in this thread. Still, what is up with all the girls being into that guy? He's a weird and timid dude, and yet all the girls want him. Including his sister! lol
Apr 28, 2016 3:52 AM

May 2014
ttcchen said:

Actually its confirmed for 2 seasons or cours (not sure which is it, but doesn't matter). The only problem I really have is that while the episodes are individually ok, it feels like the story hasn't progressed much overall... I mean, I don't mind the comedy, i quite like it for the most part, but i feel it takes too much out of the anime's episode runtime, leaving little time for actual progression. Also I'm starting to get a bit sick of the flashbacks (i mean we've gotten the same flashback at least one per episode, wtf, and i feel adding at least some different flashbacks, instead of the same one all the time, could have characterized atsushi much better). Also, if the pacing was a bit faster, we could have gotten through the whole villain ordeal much quicker and moved on to something else. The way it was done felt, as many others have already stated, that the villains were built up to be hot shit and got their asses handed to them in a matter of seconds.

All in all I'm still gonna continue watching for the time being, but i feel like at the pace everything's going, a normal 12-13 ep anime will have about the same amount of story progression as 2 seasons of this, which is a pity cuz the potential is definitely there....
Apr 28, 2016 4:00 AM

Jul 2007
Mormegil said:

I was going to ask about the weird doctor in this episode and her odd behavior, but it was already answered in this thread. Still, what is up with all the girls being into that guy? He's a weird and timid dude, and yet all the girls want him. Including his sister! lol

Tanizaki's real life fiction writings involved a lot of S&M elements and overall eroticism. It seems the character that is based on him is doomed to be badly treated and sexually abused by females just like Tanizaki's protagonist in "Naomi" ended up in the end. So far all of his encoutners in show ended up turning into weird S&M fantasies, fittingly to that.

And character wise so far, with his sister Naomi it makes sense because, well, Its Naomi, the titular character from "Naomi" who ends up overtaking the protagonist's life and pretty much turns the protagonist into "trophy husband", while with Akiko Yosano, its because she was yet another author focusing a lot on female sexuality and, specifically breaking the japanese stereotype of "modest shy wife" with her characters, in a sense being the opposite of Tanizaki's writingwhich shamed "western female" traits.
AhenshihaelApr 28, 2016 4:04 AM
Apr 28, 2016 4:35 AM

Mar 2016
tsubasalover said:
Main guy in hospital after what happened in last ep. Siblings are safe. The enemy group in action. Main guy saw that, got afraid and quits so they don't get involved when the enemy group came to get him.

Mamo's character again for womanizing. The enemy group still came to attack the group. Wow, they are strong that he didn't need to worry about what he feared for like in first half.

HiroC's character in action next?

Also can you please stop Dazai, Ranpo, etc, as "[insert VA's name here]'s character"? I mean, I fucking love Mamo and Kamiyan, but... c'mon -_- The characters have their own names
No seriously.
Apr 28, 2016 4:49 AM

Nov 2007
participant_no_5 said:
Also can you please stop Dazai, Ranpo, etc, as "[insert VA's name here]'s character"? I mean, I fucking love Mamo and Kamiyan, but... c'mon -_- The characters have their own names
Then please don't read.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 28, 2016 5:31 AM

Mar 2016
I totally respect everyone's opinions and if you don't like the anime then that's completely fine, but judging it so quickly (+without reading the manga which is a freaking masterpiece) is kind of stupid tbh. This episode was good imo. It was kind of a filler-y episode and guess what? Every anime has filler episodes. But trust me (a person who has read 30 chapters of the manga so far) you are not ready for the amazing action, new characters and huge plot twists that are about to come.
Apr 28, 2016 5:44 AM

Apr 2015
Welp, that was unexpected

At first i thought that the Black Lizard can really destroy Agency . Atsushi thought that too. But it was actually the opposite xD
Apr 28, 2016 5:54 AM
Apr 2016
Who's who ?

for more detail,
http://otakucalendarjapan.com/bungou1
Apr 28, 2016 7:03 AM

Sep 2014
Another mediocre episode basically showcasing how bland each and every character is in this Anime. Meh.
Apr 28, 2016 7:06 AM
Mar 2016
I'm good okay with Seinen and comedy. This is pretty good. I need to read the manga. It seems people aren't patient hahahaha.... for a series like this, it'll be more enjoyable to wait til it finish then maratahon it
Apr 28, 2016 7:14 AM

Jan 2014
ttcchen said:
maybe it's just me, but when i read the manga, i remember being so excited and reading it nonstop, and when i heard that the anime is coming out, i had been so hyped and can barely sleep at night.

but when i actually watch the anime, all the hype and enthusiasm is gone. i paused this episode more than 5 times cuz i got bored and went to do other stuff. I'm not sure what puts me off. Maybe it's the overcomedic, or maybe how the mc's childhood scene shows up so many fucking times (it's not like that in the manga), but something about the anime just makes it boring for me.

Guys, if you don't like this anime, give the manga a try. You might like it since the anime seems to have poorly adapted the source.

It's not just you, me too got addicted to the manga, I read about 15 chapters on single read. I think the problem is with the pacing, episode 3 pacing was better because it covers 2 chapters. But episode 1,2, and 4 only cover single chapter.
Apr 28, 2016 7:23 AM

Sep 2015
That defenestration scene. XD And as expected the Agency doesn't need anyone worrying about them. The harassment of Junichiro seems like it's gonna be a regular thing too. Looking forward to the guy appearing in the next episode ✩
Apr 28, 2016 8:59 AM

Oct 2014
Crashmatt said:
I'm struggling to understand how it's still rated at 7.70. It's not bad enough to drop but I can't say i'm looking forward to next weeks episode.

Score here on MAL is heavily wieghted by popularity, rather than show quality. It's better to dive in if the show's premise calls your attention, and get your opinion, which I see you already did.

I find the story lame. However, I like the small details of the animation, and although they are overblowing it with the "orphanage thing", I liked the detail where the MC runs toward the agency and "almost" gets run over by a truck.

I'm not gonna take it seriously, but it's a fun visual ride for me at least.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Apr 28, 2016 9:03 AM

Aug 2012
ColdBreeze said:
Hmm, still don't know. Is this a dark themed anime or not? I thought we will see some action with the mafia at the ending but nope. Comedy instead..

We saw the same flashback twice alone in this episode. A bit tiring.
Don't know what to think about it.

The first few chapters of the manga have a lot of comedy, which gets toned down a bit later on.
.................................................................................
Apr 28, 2016 9:04 AM

Nov 2014
HiatusXHiatus said:
ttcchen said:

It's not just you, me too got addicted to the manga, I read about 15 chapters on single read. I think the problem is with the pacing, episode 3 pacing was better because it covers 2 chapters. But episode 1,2, and 4 only cover single chapter.
wow you're even more amazing than i am. I'd be fine with the pacing if they adapted it well. Since for My Hero Academia, eps 1 and 2 covers only chapter 1, yet it's still very enjoyable. Let's hope Bones can make Stray Dogs as good as Hero Academia. They really gotta step up their games a bit.
Apr 28, 2016 9:23 AM

Jul 2015
Bleh, the comdey relief in now killing the show. Dropped.
Apr 28, 2016 9:28 AM

Jun 2013
damn these black lizard dudes are ruthless
Apr 28, 2016 10:41 AM

Jul 2015
Its nice to see the things getting a bit more serious -w-

I guess the reason they mess around so much is because they can, if there as powerful as the show makes them out to be, they really can goof around a lot like they do.

Still trying to figure out how the sister survived being shot up so much, and I hope they give us some sort of explanation for that because that was way too much.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 28, 2016 11:50 AM

Mar 2016
At that moment when black lizards went into the agency i thought they are fucked up... xD
Apr 28, 2016 12:39 PM

Oct 2014
Black lizards got rekt, i was at least expecting the leader to put in work seeing how his power was displayed. the agency had things completely under control.
AmuroGrayApr 28, 2016 12:54 PM
"My name is Yoshikage Kira. I'm 33 years old. My house is in the northeast section of Morioh, where the villas are, and i am not married. I work as an employee for the Kame Yu department stores, and i get home every day by 8 PM at the latest. I don't smoke, but i occasionally drink. I'm in bed by 11 PM, and make sure I get 8 hours of sleep, no matter what. After having a glass of warm milk and doing about twenty minutes of stretches before going to bed, I usually have no problems sleeping until morning. Just like a baby, I wake up without any fatigue or stress in the morning. I was told there were no issues at my last checkup."
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

368 by Devonnius »»
Apr 14, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2016

191 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.