Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 25, 2016 7:41 AM

Apr 2016

EDIT: I decided to alter the thread to refer to all Linux distros. :)

Anyone upgrade to the latest LTS for Ubuntu yet? I'm upgrading right now, and already feel like I am going to love it. The update that comes before the upgrade sees an update to LibreOffice and damn is it sexy!

Some things worth discussing is that the upgrade will see a jump from ustart to systemd and that Canonical is still getting heat for supposedly breaking the law by shipping OpenZFS in 16.04.

Do post if you are a Linux lover or are just starting to play around in Linux, have complaints etc etc. :)

INFO:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes
RhaeserysApr 26, 2016 4:03 PM

"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 25, 2016 7:43 AM

Apr 2013
I'm still running on Ubuntu 15.10 so I'll probably reinstall today :3
Been looking forward to this release, that snap application format looks pretty sweet!
Apr 25, 2016 7:56 AM

Apr 2016
Gator said:
Been looking forward to this release, that snap application format looks pretty sweet!

Cool! Come by if you can when you are done and share what you think. :)

Yes, Snap does look pretty sweet but I am disappointed to see that Brasero was removed. I really loved having that on a fresh install. :(

Oh, and a warning to all who wish to upgrade/install:

Boot, installation and post-install

Installing Xen host in UEFI mode

It is currently impossible to boot a Xen hypervisor from grub in UEFI mode. However the package does not detect this and will set the default boot to Xen mode. So for any machine in UEFI mode, do not install the Xen hypervisor (or enable legacy mode first). Please see this bug report for more information.

Apr 25, 2016 7:58 AM

Apr 2013
Jelmazmo said:
Gator said:

Yes, Snap does look pretty sweet but I am disappointed to see that Brasero was removed. I really loved having that on a fresh install. :(

It is currently impossible to boot a Xen hypervisor from grub in UEFI mode. However the package does not detect this and will set the default boot to Xen mode. So for any machine in UEFI mode, do not install the Xen hypervisor (or enable legacy mode first). Please see this bug report for more information.

Sure, if I get around doing the upgrad today I'll report tomorrow ;)

I don't even have a CD drive anymore so the removel of Brasero doesn't really concern me ^^

Luckily my mainbard let me disable UEFI mode so I have no problems there :3
Apr 25, 2016 8:39 AM
Apr 2008
Just a quick note
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/ubuntu-lts-many-vulnerabilities-despite-long-term-support.385386/

You get better security support with Debian especially with stable release. And contrary to popular belief its not that hard to install Debian. Just read up on the documentation to get non free drivers working.
Apr 25, 2016 2:10 PM

Apr 2016
Upgrade failed. Unity seemed to have broke so I had to reinstall completely. It is finished now, and looks the same mostly, so we don't have to hear people rage quit on adjusting to yet another new environment. lol

Gator said:
Jelmazmo said:

Sure, if I get around doing the upgrad today I'll report tomorrow ;)

I don't even have a CD drive anymore so the removel of Brasero doesn't really concern me ^^

Luckily my mainbard let me disable UEFI mode so I have no problems there :3

Neat! Oh, make sure you copy everything you need. This release is hella buggy. :(

And usually I don't use Brasero/CD drive either, but a lot of my laptops just won't accept my LiveUSBs. They are all Acers, so it might have something to do with it. lol

Deathnosis said:
Just a quick note
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/ubuntu-lts-many-vulnerabilities-despite-long-term-support.385386/

You get better security support with Debian especially with stable release. And contrary to popular belief its not that hard to install Debian. Just read up on the documentation to get non free drivers working.

I use Ubuntu because I like it, so not going with Debian isn't about being hard or whatnot. I consider installing Arch a lot harder and I managed that. However, installing Debian to a "noob" is hard. THey barely manage to successfully install Ubuntu, which is extremely easy, so they will want to avoid Debian etc. But yea, Debian has better security but I doubt Ubuntu will let their security risks stay around for any longer. And if I remember correctly, most of the other stuff has always been maintained by the community.

If the bugs persist though a lot of people will just abandon the release.

Apr 25, 2016 5:29 PM

Oct 2015
I'm still using Ubuntu 14.04 on my laptop (I installed the Xubuntu variant however, which uses the Xfce Desktop environment).

Honestly, I prefer Debian right now (Debian jesse is installed on my desktop PC) as it has been less buggy for me. I have only been using GNU/Linux for a few months though.

And I'm wanting to wait for a community consensus on whether the 16.04 update is good or not before jumping on it.

Jelmazmo said:

I use Ubuntu because I like it, so not going with Debian isn't about being hard or whatnot. I consider installing Arch a lot harder and I managed that. However, installing Debian to a "noob" is hard. THey barely manage to successfully install Ubuntu, which is extremely easy, so they will want to avoid Debian etc.

eh, installing Arch is actually not very hard, I as a newcomer to Linux managed to install it on a VM, without much trouble. The unstable-as-hell rolling release is what makes Arch hard to use. It is very much a hobbyist's distro for people who actively enjoy having their config files and such broken and having to compile packages manually.
LobindeApr 25, 2016 5:33 PM
Apr 25, 2016 6:54 PM
Jul 2018
I'm using 14.04 on my laptop, and my phone is 15.10 OTA 10. Probably gonna pick up a System76 pc at some point in the near future with 16.04 and experiment with music recording in linux. Always loved ubuntu, and now it's finally at a point where I can potentially switch fully.
Apr 25, 2016 11:46 PM

Apr 2013
Soooo I re-installed Ubuntu 16.04 yesterday and I'm quite statisfied with it so far. Everything runs smoothly, the only error I got was when I isntalled openjdk-9-jdk, which is a beta version so it's understandable xD

Found nothing so far though to get too excited about, everything remains the same maybe a bit faster than before. :3
Apr 26, 2016 10:41 AM

Apr 2016
@Lobinde

That's a good idea. In a few months the bugs should be ironed out. And by 16.04.1 they expect the AMD driver support to be "back" (no longer just open source).

@Vitne-Eveille

By then 16.04 should be ironed out. :)

Gator said:
Soooo I re-installed Ubuntu 16.04 yesterday and I'm quite statisfied with it so far. Everything runs smoothly, the only error I got was when I isntalled openjdk-9-jdk, which is a beta version so it's understandable xD

Found nothing so far though to get too excited about, everything remains the same maybe a bit faster than before. :3

So you haven't encountered any bugs yet? And yea, it only feels like it runs a bit faster. Well, better performance is always nice I guess. :)

Apr 26, 2016 12:23 PM

Apr 2013
Jelmazmo said:
So you haven't encountered any bugs yet? And yea, it only feels like it runs a bit faster. Well, better performance is always nice I guess. :)

Nope, no Ubuntu-specific bugs so far, pretty nice :3
Apr 26, 2016 12:36 PM

Apr 2016
Gator said:
Jelmazmo said:

Nope, no Ubuntu-specific bugs so far, pretty nice :3

That's incredible! I have only really seen one type of bug so far, that comes and goes at the log in screen. Nice to know not everyone is having problems with Xenial.

Apr 26, 2016 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
I think I've actually decided to just make the jump on my current Windows desktop. It's an ASUS, which seems to be generally well-supported in Ubuntu.

I may just have Ubuntu Studio 16.04 and no Windows soon. Exciting :D

I always have my original Win8 install disc if all goes south.
Apr 26, 2016 3:12 PM

Apr 2016
Vitne-Eveille said:
I think I've actually decided to just make the jump on my current Windows desktop. It's an ASUS, which seems to be generally well-supported in Ubuntu.

The jump to Linux is always an experience to have.

JOIN US BROTHER!

Apr 26, 2016 4:02 PM

Oct 2015
Vitne-Eveille said:

You could always dual boot if you don't want to commit to losing your windows OS as a lifeline of sorts. However if you want to do this you will have to disable secure boot on your motherboard's uefi settings if it is a uefi (not BIOS, you can usually find this out by googling the name of your motherboard) setup, and disable fast boot on your windows settings if you are using windows 8 and up. If you want to manually partition for dual boots you will also have to shrink your current harddrive partition/s using the windows partition manager or third party software.

Also, you will want to read up on some basic terminal commands. Although ubuntu is ensured to work "out of the box" it can still be useful to use the command line to install software packages, update your packages or for troubleshooting.

Have fun with Ubuntu!
Apr 26, 2016 4:09 PM

Oct 2012
Still running on SlackWare o3o
Apr 26, 2016 4:13 PM

Apr 2016
I'm thinking of using my laptop as a source to experiment with other distros. One of them is Debian but I haven't used it in years. Years and years.

I'm no expert in Linux, this much I know, so what should be some stuff I should think about before making a change? I mostly write and listen to music, but I do game and I prefer dark themes whenever I can get it. Does Debian still offer the ability to easily change themes to something like this or to even install Unity?

(made a change to the thread; might as well have a place where we can discuss Linux itself and not just Ubuntu, since not everyone uses it.)

Lobinde said:

You could always dual boot if you don't want to commit to losing your windows OS as a lifeline of sorts. However if you want to do this you will have to disable secure boot on your motherboard's uefi settings if it is a uefi (not BIOS, you can usually find this out by googling the name of your motherboard) setup, and disable fast boot on your windows settings if you are using windows 8 and up. If you want to manually partition for dual boots you will also have to shrink your current harddrive partition/s using the windows partition manager or third party software.

Also, you will want to read up on some basic terminal commands. Although ubuntu is ensured to work "out of the box" it can still be useful to use the command line to install software packages, update your packages or for troubleshooting.

Have fun with Ubuntu!

I triple boot on my main PC. One drive for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, one for Windows 7 and one for Windows 10 (I hardly use it now though), so I definitely suggest trying that too. If you want to ditch Windows forever though I can see why it isn't a solution haha

Apr 26, 2016 9:54 PM

Apr 2016
If anyone is having problems with 16.04 LTS post here and I can try to help. It is usually the result of a bad dvd/usb burn but if it isn't I might know the solution. ;)

Apr 27, 2016 4:33 AM

Oct 2015
Jelmazmo said:

I triple boot on my main PC. One drive for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, one for Windows 7 and one for Windows 10 (I hardly use it now though), so I definitely suggest trying that too. If you want to ditch Windows forever though I can see why it isn't a solution haha

I would have ditched Windows by now already, but I need to use windows for my games and some coursework assignments. :(
Apr 27, 2016 4:36 AM

Apr 2013
Lobinde said:
Jelmazmo said:

I would have ditched Windows by now already, but I need to use windows for my games and some coursework assignments. :(

I only use and need Windows for games anymore, though I don't even play that much.... Some Warface once in a while right now. I only buy games for Linux now though :3
Apr 27, 2016 9:45 AM

Apr 2016
@Lobinde

You should check out some of Linux's native software like Libreoffice or WINE. A lot of stuff can be used through it right now and it only gets better every year. If the games or software that works only on Windows is important there is still dual booting or VM (I recommend db over vm though). :)

@Gator

So you're truly a Linux person. I only buy games that have a Linux port now with very few exceptions (like Witcher 3). I'm hoping it catches on. :P

Apr 27, 2016 9:49 AM

Oct 2015
Jelmazmo said:
@Lobinde

You should check out some of Linux's native software like Libreoffice or WINE. A lot of stuff can be used through it right now and it only gets better every year. If the games or software that works only on Windows is important there is still dual booting or VM (I recommend db over vm though). :)

I use Libreoffice but yeah, I need to check out WINE. I don't think it works for everything but I've heard it's helpful.
Apr 27, 2016 8:53 PM

Apr 2016
Lobinde said:
Jelmazmo said:
@Lobinde

I use Libreoffice but yeah, I need to check out WINE. I don't think it works for everything but I've heard it's helpful.

It is very helpful. I got CS4 to work with it once. :P

Apr 27, 2016 11:15 PM

Apr 2013
Jelmazmo said:
@Gator

So you're truly a Linux person. I only buy games that have a Linux port now with very few exceptions (like Witcher 3). I'm hoping it catches on. :P

Yeah I still have some older games I want to play and need Windows, but new games with no Linux port are a no-go. I wasn't really interested in the Witcher 3, I played Witcher 1 which was a pain to finish and I played Witcher 2 for 1 hour before I deinstalled it again xD (even bought it on Steam...)

If they port Witcher 3 to Linux I might think about it. On other news Tomb Raider (2013) is now available for Linux yaaaaay! :3
Apr 27, 2016 11:45 PM

Apr 2016
Gator said:
Jelmazmo said:
@Gator

Yeah I still have some older games I want to play and need Windows, but new games with no Linux port are a no-go. I wasn't really interested in the Witcher 3, I played Witcher 1 which was a pain to finish and I played Witcher 2 for 1 hour before I deinstalled it again xD (even bought it on Steam...)

If they port Witcher 3 to Linux I might think about it. On other news Tomb Raider (2013) is now available for Linux yaaaaay! :3

Believe me when I say Witcher 3 is a trillion times different than the previous games and a wonderful game. The lore, story and characters are amazing. :)

Oh, I heard something about TR getting a port to Linux. Thought it would take until the end of the year though. Since the PC port itself for the game is actually amazing I bet the Linux port is going to be very optimized.

Apr 27, 2016 11:49 PM

Apr 2013
Jelmazmo said:
Believe me when I say Witcher 3 is a trillion times different than the previous games and a wonderful game. The lore, story and characters are amazing. :)

Oh, I heard something about TR getting a port to Linux. Thought it would take until the end of the year though. Since the PC port itself for the game is actually amazing I bet the Linux port is going to be very optimized.

I heard that, though I really don't like that "You are a Witcher"-thing. I like to decide for myself if I'm a warrior or a mage or whatever like in Elder Scrolls. The combat system is too narrowed down on that Witcher class imo.

It was part of a Humble Bundel I once bought, but I haven't tried installing it yet. Since I re-installed my Ubuntu just recently I first have to install Ark again xD
Apr 28, 2016 1:23 PM

Apr 2016
Gator said:

I heard that, though I really don't like that "You are a Witcher"-thing. I like to decide for myself if I'm a warrior or a mage or whatever like in Elder Scrolls. The combat system is too narrowed down on that Witcher class imo.

It was part of a Humble Bundel I once bought, but I haven't tried installing it yet. Since I re-installed my Ubuntu just recently I first have to install Ark again xD

Ah, its the type of game you don't like, okay. Well you still might enjoy it for the story and the combat alone. If you ever change your mind and play it, I'd like to hear what you have to say about it. Perhaps it will have a Linux port by then, too.

Well if you do install and test it, do share the quality of it. :)

Apr 29, 2016 12:51 AM

Apr 2013
Jelmazmo said:
Ah, its the type of game you don't like, okay. Well you still might enjoy it for the story and the combat alone. If you ever change your mind and play it, I'd like to hear what you have to say about it. Perhaps it will have a Linux port by then, too.

Well if you do install and test it, do share the quality of it. :)

If I ever play it, it definitely will be on Linux. So without a Linux port there's just now way ^^

Maybe when I feel like it this weekend, already played it with a friend a bit and except for the quicktime events it looked pretty nice :3
Apr 29, 2016 2:16 AM

Apr 2016
@Gator

They did Witcher 2 so it seems really odd they would exclude the most popular of the series and a well received game. I suspect by the end of the year we will have an early release, and if not that, details on its progress.

Here is some info if you wanna see where it was discussed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTzMelOeKEw#t=6m30s

Cool, cool, whenever you can or feel like it. :)

Oct 8, 2019 6:32 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
I have upgraded to Manjaro 18.1.0. I am using the KDE Plasma desktop environment.
Oct 12, 2019 4:56 AM

May 2015
*sigh* I never got a chance to use linux in my entire life... except maybe for that one course I had where we were forced to use.

Oct 12, 2019 5:02 AM

Nov 2011
KDE is the best environment I think, I favor distros that have it set to their default. I stopped using GNOME about 10 (I think) years ago during the whole GNOME 3 fiasco which was probably just as bad as Windows 8's UI.

KDE has always been consistently nice, though.
Oct 12, 2019 5:16 AM

Dec 2013
Lately I've been mostly using Fedora at work. It's pretty interesting because before I've been only using Ubuntu and Mint.
Oct 14, 2019 2:03 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Manjaro has founded their own company Manjaro GmbH & Co. KG. I hope to see their efforts pay off even more with a solid and great developing distrobution of linux.
Oct 14, 2019 4:58 AM

Aug 2008
Not a Linux user, but I loved how super stable it was when I used it as my main operating system back in the day ^^
Oct 14, 2019 10:32 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
SweetMonia said:
Not a Linux user, but I loved how super stable it was when I used it as my main operating system back in the day ^^

Debian (based systems) is (are) still the most stable operating system out there. The rolling operating systems (arch, opensuse,...) need backups on regular bases, but you are adviced to do this before you make a major update.
Oct 16, 2019 5:38 AM

Aug 2008
Cyanwasserstoff said:
SweetMonia said:

Debian (based systems) is (are) still the most stable operating system out there. The rolling operating systems (arch, opensuse,...) need backups on regular bases, but you are adviced to do this before you make a major update.
That's good to know. As I always though of Linux as the epitome of stability~ :D
Oct 19, 2019 5:32 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
SweetMonia said:
Cyanwasserstoff said:

That's good to know. As I always though of Linux as the epitome of stability~ :D

Yeah, on linux operating systems the first step always depends on do you want the newest kind of software/updates right on their (beta) release time, but with a little risk about the program/system stability or do you prefer slightly older software and more waiting time before you get the newest updates and therefor better tested software and system stability. The next steps are about which file manager, packet manager and desktop environment you prefer, there are plenty of different options on desktop environment and many of them with own file manager/ packet manager (KDE Plasma, Gnome, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQT, Deepin, Budgie, Mate, ...).
CyanwasserstoffOct 19, 2019 5:37 AM
Oct 19, 2019 5:31 PM

Nov 2011
SweetMonia said:
Cyanwasserstoff said:

It's all fun and games until a simple package update renders an Arch Linux system unusable, lol.

Although that is just what comes with rolling release bleeding edge distributions, need to do some reading on changes that have been done before actually doing any updates.

Other distributions which are focused on stability are extremely stable, I don't think I've ever actually seen Debian crash for example which is nice...
Oct 20, 2019 8:23 AM

Jul 2015
pretty much any distro that isn't debian, redhat, or opensuse is too unstable to use imo
mostly lean towards debian because its what I'm used to and just werks™.
Oct 20, 2019 8:21 PM

Dec 2008
I'm purely a windows person but I've been playing around with Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2 lately and it has it's charms.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Oct 21, 2019 4:06 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
16-Bit-MegaDrive said:

It's all fun and games until a simple package update renders an Arch Linux system unusable, lol.

Although that is just what comes with rolling release bleeding edge distributions, need to do some reading on changes that have been done before actually doing any updates.

That is why you usually should make a timeshift or similar kind of backup and if the newest updates eventually causes trouble, you can always switch back to your backup.

16-Bit-MegaDrive said:

Other distributions which are focused on stability are extremely stable, I don't think I've ever actually seen Debian crash for example which is nice...

Yeah, especially because the software is already tested for month by rolling releases, so the risk of problems is extremely low. That is why the Debian family is even more stable then Windows, that had a lot of troubles because of some automatic updates.

zrdb said:
I'm purely a windows person but I've been playing around with Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2 lately and it has it's charms.

Yeah,you can just use a linux distro of your choice in either a virtual environment or on a live disc before really dualbooting and maybe even switching as daily driver.
Jul 12, 2023 8:34 AM

Sep 2010
Gonna bump this thread as I see some interest about this topic in other threads. What distro are you currently running and are you happy with it?

I'm currently on Debian 12, have been on Debian for some years now and I'm very happy with it, especially the stability and the new bigger repository it comes with.
Jul 12, 2023 1:06 PM
Osmanthus Mage

Apr 2020
Currently running Fedora 38 with DWM and it's pretty light. I've been using the same distro since F32 or F33 (around 3 years ago) and never looked back on Windows. Maybe I'll dual boot with Windows once I get a new machine, but that's strictly for gaming (I don't wanna use a compatibility layer).

I never once had a problem with running Linux, and a lot of alternative applications exists and works perfectly for me.

Signatures are too distracting

^ visit my webby ^

Jul 12, 2023 2:29 PM

Jul 2021
I'm running Debian 11. Haven't upgraded to 12 yet because I'm lazy.
Jul 13, 2023 8:11 AM

Jul 2011
ateks said:
Gonna bump this thread as I see some interest about this topic in other threads. What distro are you currently running and are you happy with it?

I'm currently on Debian 12, have been on Debian for some years now and I'm very happy with it, especially the stability and the new bigger repository it comes with.

Dailydriving MX21 which is still on Debian 11.
Hopefully they'll have an upgrade to 12 soon (beta testing is happening atm).

:)
Jul 13, 2023 8:24 AM

Jun 2023
Tried Linux in the past, switched to MacOs, probably won't daily drive Linux ever again. I do got a Kali Linux VM for HackTheBox, cool stuff

I spared your life on a whim, nothing more.
Jul 28, 2023 8:49 AM

Dec 2018
Honestly Linux is pretty useless for most things other than coding. Of course except if you have OCD and want the tiniest bits of your UI to be as fine tuned as your desire goes, then you can go for something completely baroque like Arch, which I think is a total waste of time. Or your laptop is 15 years old and can't handle much of anything.

I do however love Debian, Nobara, and as much as I would hate to admit it, Ubuntu (it has pretty great workflow for coding). But then again, for the usual activities, I'd still say the good ol' clunky Windows is the way.

Also I LOATHE MacOS. Used to for like 2 years of my life and I don't even know why I hated the workflow so much. If you want zsh, just get it on literally any Linux distro.
. . .
Jul 28, 2023 12:48 PM

Sep 2010
Preachee said:
Honestly Linux is pretty useless for most things other than coding.

??

Preachee said:
But then again, for the usual activities, I'd still say the good ol' clunky Windows is the way.

The usual activities are watching youtube videos and chatting on discord how is Windows better in that regard?
Jul 29, 2023 2:03 AM

Dec 2018
ateks said:
Preachee said:
Honestly Linux is pretty useless for most things other than coding.

??

Preachee said:
But then again, for the usual activities, I'd still say the good ol' clunky Windows is the way.

The usual activities are watching youtube videos and chatting on discord how is Windows better in that regard?

Yes, because browsers work better on Windows. This also extends to playing games (unless you're using Nobara, then again, I still prefer Windows for that).
. . .
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - Yesterday

2 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

25 by SnipeStrike »»
2 hours ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Yesterday

18 by FanofAction »»
2 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

46 by Firwik_Howlo »»
3 hours ago

» favorite pokemon ( 1 2 )

Fang_Tooth - Jan 21, 2023

55 by Firwik_Howlo »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.