Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime 'Love Live! Sunshine!!' Unveils Key Visual and Staff

New
Apr 26, 2016 8:48 PM

Jul 2009
The official website of the Summer 2016 anime Love Live! Sunshine!! has unveiled the key visual and announced the production staff for the series. The spin-off series of the Love Live! School Idol Project franchise features a new cast of nine girls who make up the school idol unit Aqours (pronounced "Aqua").

Music publishing label Lantis has also uploaded a character promotional video on its YouTube channel, which features footage from the group's second single "Koi ni Naritai Aquarium."

Staff
Director: Kazuo Sakai (Mushi-Uta)
Series Composition: Jukki Hanada (Hibike! Euphonium)
Character Design: Yuuhei Murota (Love Live! School Idol Project)
Design Works: Masaki Kawake (Parol no Miraijima)
Set Design: Takeyuki Takahashi (Plastic Memories)
Art Director: Junichi Higashi (Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin)
Color Design: Sayoko Yokoyama (Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon)
CG Director: Takeshi Kurosaki (Higashi no Eden)
Director of Photography: Hiroki Sugiyama (Gakusen Toshi Asterisk)
Editing: Daisuke Imai (Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri)
Sound Director: Yukio Nagasaki (Pretty Rhythm)
Music: Tatsuya Katou (Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya)
Music Production: Lantis
Studio: Sunrise

Official site: http://www.lovelive-anime.jp/uranohoshi/
International official site: http://www.lovelive-anime.jp/uranohoshi/worldwide/

Character PV

Source: Official Twitter
Sakana-sanMay 1, 2016 7:19 AM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 26, 2016 8:49 PM

Sep 2015
Hopefully this one will be great :)

And there goes my 666th post.
Apr 26, 2016 8:50 PM

Aug 2008
I so hate this new series... but I know I'll be watching it anyways.
Otaku no naka no Otaku, Otaking ni narimasu -- Otaku no Video, Gainax, 1992.
Apr 26, 2016 8:54 PM

Dec 2014
NEW LOVE LIVE HYPE

I am still quite bitter about how they ended the first series, but I think I will still like the new one. Without knowing any information, Hanamaru looks like the best girl...for now.
Apr 26, 2016 8:55 PM

Jul 2012
So excited for this! Seems like a fun ride.
Apr 26, 2016 9:02 PM

Nov 2008
I'm in for sure especially that I now have a subgroup with each girl I like in it.

Apr 26, 2016 9:06 PM

Mar 2016
HYPE HYPE HYPE

I'll be watching this for sure :3
Apr 26, 2016 9:17 PM

Apr 2014
I don't get it, can someone explain why these new girls look so much like μ's? I'll probably be watching this anyway since the weeaboo in me requires it.
Apr 26, 2016 9:22 PM

Mar 2012
It would be decent if Drama is not shitty.
I'll watch it anyway.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Apr 26, 2016 9:55 PM

Nov 2011
I think this show could be good. Decent staff choices and nice new key visual as well.
Apr 26, 2016 10:19 PM
Jan 2016

they change the director.. I am a little bit worried about it. same designer so no problem with the art at all.

If the anime can awaken the sleeping µ's fandom.. becoming the anime of the year , getting gold discs and being invited to kouhaku will be a no brainer for this 2nd generation
Apr 26, 2016 10:22 PM

Nov 2007
The baton has been passed. ;_;

Thank you, µ's. Welcome, Aqours.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 26, 2016 10:41 PM

Mar 2016
The hype is real...I hope aquors can be as good as u's.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Apr 26, 2016 11:04 PM

Mar 2014
Protaku said:
I don't get it, can someone explain why these new girls look so much like μ's? I'll probably be watching this anyway since the weeaboo in me requires it.
Probably because they have no imagination and are ripping off themselves

I mean, they're even going to have to save their school from closing down according to the old description... and guess what, there's a half breed blonde and a rich red head to boot!

The original Love Live! was surprisingly okay for a loli idol anime but I find it hard to see how they're going to manage to pull it off a second time when they've basically just copy pasted the original series' plot and characters and made a few changes here and there

With that being said, I am still going to watch it but I'm going to try to keep my expectations very low
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 26, 2016 11:08 PM

Nov 2007
jayvee2016 said:

they change the director.. I am a little bit worried about it. same designer so no problem with the art at all.

If the anime can awaken the sleeping µ's fandom.. becoming the anime of the year , getting gold discs and being invited to kouhaku will be a no brainer for this 2nd generation

If there are no mishaps with the anime... the question we should ask is, "Is there any dark horse that could beat Love Live SunShine for anime of the year?" It would've been nice competition if Osomatsu-san and Love Live SunShine aired in the same year, but it wasn't meant to be. And also, "When will it get a movie?", because it would be something to have Love Live and Love Live SunShine as #1 and #2 for highest grossing late-night Anime Adaptation Movies. That's assuming Love Live stays there at #1 for at least 3~5 years from now.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Apr 26, 2016 11:12 PM

Nov 2013
this is happy and sad news at the same time.lol
Apr 26, 2016 11:18 PM

Nov 2012
I'm going to watch this whether or not I like the appearance of the new characters.
Apr 26, 2016 11:36 PM

Apr 2016
I'll be watching this ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)HYPEED
Why do we have to live in such a cruel world?

Apr 26, 2016 11:57 PM

Feb 2008
Hope the Nico replacement delivers.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 27, 2016 12:08 AM

Feb 2015
can't wait to see the characters XD
where is Yukiho and Arisa btw ? i thought those two will be in the next generation ?
doujinshi creator just got a bunch of work to do right now ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) looking foward for the dounjinshi ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
YizelTroApr 27, 2016 12:19 AM
Apr 27, 2016 12:59 AM
Jul 2011
The new group means there will be not much to inherit but they still decide to keep the franchise. It will be hard to deliver a new original show, but they are aiming high and I really appreciate that.
Apr 27, 2016 1:14 AM

Mar 2012
With most of the original staff on board (Including Kimino and Hanada) I doubt this'll be another Cinderella Girls esque debacle. Besides, Season 2 and the movie were free of the melodrama that made Season 1 not as enjoyable so I think they've learned not to go back there.

Plus from what I've seen of the live appearances and what I've heard of the drama CDs they've all got really good chemistry. I'm really curious to see how the characters interact when they've actually got serious conflict to deal with.

Comic_Sans said:
I mean, they're even going to have to save their school from closing down according to the old description... and guess what, there's a half breed blonde and a rich red head to boot!
They're only alike if you boil them down to their very basic character traits.

Mari's a half breed blonde and she shares Eli's initial unwillingness to become an idol, but Eli is much more uptight and straight laced (Or at least she was at the beginning). Even their reasoning for not wanting to become an idol is different. Eli is a trained ballet dancer who feels she's above them, Mari thinks they're cute but just can't be bothered. Her bio also says that she's into Industrial Metal which I think is just hilarious.

Basically Eli's really straight laced and serious whereas Mari is really playful and goofy. Couldn't be more different when you think about it.

I can only hope that her Italian American Dad is played by Joe Pesci. Like even if he just appears on screen once for about 10 seconds, says 'I'm walkin here!' then never appears again my life would be complete.

Ejc said:
If there are no mishaps with the anime... the question we should ask is, "Is there any dark horse that could beat Love Live SunShine for anime of the year?"
If you ask me this has been a pretty boring year for anime thus far. Japan seems to agree because basically everything from last season aside from Konosuba, Erased and Osomatsu (Which doesn't really count since it started last year) sold like garbage.

My personal anime of the year, assuming they're both as good as I expect them to be, will probably be a tough contest between Hibike and Love Live Sunshine. But in terms of success? The only other series I can say for sure will sell like crazy is Attack on Titan S2. But even then Titan's success is nothing compared to Love Live over in Japan. So I think Sunshine is practically confirmed to be the year's best seller.
SeibaaHomuApr 27, 2016 1:34 AM
Apr 27, 2016 1:31 AM
Jan 2016
Ejc said:
jayvee2016 said:

If there are no mishaps with the anime... the question we should ask is, "Is there any dark horse that could beat Love Live SunShine for anime of the year?" It would've been nice competition if Osomatsu-san and Love Live SunShine aired in the same year, but it wasn't meant to be. And also, "When will it get a movie?", because it would be something to have Love Live and Love Live SunShine as #1 and #2 for highest grossing late-night Anime Adaptation Movies. That's assuming Love Live stays there at #1 for at least 3~5 years from now.

Osomatsu was release this year right? 2016? Too bad Attack on Titan was postponed AGAIN... otherwise a hot battle between 2 juggernauts will happen.

AOT = best anime of 2013 vs LL = best anime of 2014 and 2015. Also DGrayman might put a fight against aqours. So far I can see no threat at all.. assuming that aqours will have the same brightness as what µ's did.
Apr 27, 2016 2:27 AM

May 2012
Why the character look younger than the original series. I prefer they kept the same characters, because that what made love live a good anime
Apr 27, 2016 2:31 AM

Feb 2012
Oh my I just got used to Nico ni and they replacing her.

K den

Will watch anyways.
Apr 27, 2016 2:47 AM

Feb 2013
Cant waiiit I need my aidoru dosis (Ruby best girl )

Apr 27, 2016 3:02 AM

May 2015
More Love Live! Bring it on. I can't wait.

Apr 27, 2016 4:43 AM

Oct 2014
Attack on Titan rip-off, Love Live! spin-off (aka official rip-off,) what else?

And I heard the girls and I sense lots of sound engineering in their songs.
And I looked at the voice actresses and I saw lots of cutie "idol material"

tbh, I think this is meant to be an idol group more instead of an anime.
Unlike µ's, in which the voice actresses were chosen based on their voice acting ability first, singing ability second (well, or more like they chose the ones who were guaranteed good singers, in the first place) and the other stuffs etc. later business,
Aqours were chosen based on stage ability. Looks, dancing ability, etc. The girls here didn't come from voice acting schools. They came from opera houses and live theaters and dance schools.
There's a big difference in voice acting an animated characters and acting/dubbing a character where it's real humans doing the expression and stuff.
Thus, I'm rather pessimistic it will get as big as µ's. Alll it will do probably is just riding on the big wave µ's created before.

Well, that is assuming the plot is entertaining enough and do enough to make the cuteness of the girls feels real.
Just don't rip-off other idol series, instead, because that will be bad for the franchise' good names.

ps.: Aqours... reads "Aqua"... Axis-cult?
Apr 27, 2016 5:06 AM

Nov 2012
well i'll watch it for sure, let's see how this one will be.
Apr 27, 2016 5:09 AM

Mar 2012
Revvie-chan said:
Unlike µ's, in which the voice actresses were chosen based on their voice acting ability first, singing ability second
I very much doubt that Pile was hired for her acting abilities.

Plus the anime didn't come until 3 years after Love Live began so there's that too.
Apr 27, 2016 5:11 AM
Mar 2014
Are those performances rotoscoped or simply animated nicely..?

Oh. CG.
vegetablespiritApr 27, 2016 5:14 AM
Apr 27, 2016 5:16 AM
Dec 2010
Ejc said:
jayvee2016 said:

XFD Love Live Sunshine is airing in the same season as New Game......... I bet New Game will end up outselling it considering how crazy the otakus in Japan are over it. Actually Summer 2016 is freaking stacked, besides these two you also have:

Amachu
Shokugeki no Souma S2
Fate / kaleid liner Prisma S4
Mob psycho 100
Handa-kun
Rewrite
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru
Apr 27, 2016 5:35 AM

Mar 2012
scytheavatar said:
XFD Love Live Sunshine is airing in the same season as New Game......... I bet New Game will end up outselling it considering how crazy the otakus in Japan are over it.
Is it really THAT popular though? Even the most popular 4koma adaptations have never managed 100K. I mean I heard the otaku were pretty crazy over Gochiusa but it only sold like 10K per volume (Which are fantastic numbers but nothing compared to Love Live).

Let's not forget that Love Live's fanbase is more than just the otaku. It has legit mainstream appeal over there. It sold more Blu-rays than The Minions.
Apr 27, 2016 5:54 AM

Nov 2007
SeibaaHomu said:
scytheavatar said:
XFD Love Live Sunshine is airing in the same season as New Game......... I bet New Game will end up outselling it considering how crazy the otakus in Japan are over it.
Is it really THAT popular though? Even the most popular 4koma adaptations have never managed 100K. I mean I heard the otaku were pretty crazy over Gochiusa but it only sold like 10K per volume (Which are fantastic numbers but nothing compared to Love Live).

Let's not forget that Love Live's fanbase is more than just the otaku. It has legit mainstream appeal over there. It sold more Blu-rays than The Minions.

Exactly. Idolmaster is much more of a majority otaku fanbase than Love Live is.

For something to beat Love Live SunShine this year, it would have to have some sort of mainstream appeal and the anime needs to be rewatchable and enjoyable (as anime boils down to being an entertainment medium) for fans to want to buy the discs. That's what many anime fail at, which is why there are only a limited number of hits (>10k average) in a given year.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Apr 27, 2016 6:05 AM

May 2013
I loved the first two seasons of Love Live!, so naturally I am looking forward to this. Hopefully these girls will be just as endearing as the past ones.

Ejc said:

For something to beat Love Live SunShine this year, it would have to have some sort of mainstream appeal and the anime needs to be rewatchable and enjoyable (as anime boils down to being an entertainment medium) for fans to want to buy the discs. That's what many anime fail at, which is why there are only a limited number of hits (>10k average) in a given year.

There's quite a few sport series coming out this year, and if the fujoshi latch onto one of them like they did with Free!/Haikyuu!!/Kuroko there is a chance something might challenge Sunshine! Just depends what the fujoshi go and group up to. If that happens it is.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Apr 27, 2016 6:17 AM

Mar 2014
They're only alike if you boil them down to their very basic character traits.

Mari's a half breed blonde and she shares Eli's initial unwillingness to become an idol, but Eli is much more uptight and straight laced (Or at least she was at the beginning). Even their reasoning for not wanting to become an idol is different. Eli is a trained ballet dancer who feels she's above them, Mari thinks they're cute but just can't be bothered. Her bio also says that she's into Industrial Metal which I think is just hilarious.

Basically Eli's really straight laced and serious whereas Mari is really playful and goofy. Couldn't be more different when you think about it.
Can't help it, it's hard not to start questioning Sunrise & c:o's creative skills when the plot line sounds like a carbon copy of the original story line and they've recycled half of the character traits from the original series
I can only hope that her Italian American Dad is played by Joe Pesci. Like even if he just appears on screen once for about 10 seconds, says 'I'm walkin here!' then never appears again my life would be complete.
That's not going to happen
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 27, 2016 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
Can't believe I'm actually excited for this........but I'm actually excited for this.

I mean, they can't possibly end it in a worse way than they ended the first series, and the songs can't possibly be worse, so I imagine it will be fine.
Apr 27, 2016 6:37 AM

Mar 2012
Ejc said:

Of course. There are some shows that generate buzz when they air but fail to translate that into good Blu-ray sales. Nichijou and Mirai Nikki for example.

Love Live in general is just a lot more appealing to the uninitiated. That's probably why Love Live is so much more successful here in the west than Idolm@ster is (Well, that and shitty marketing). It's also the reason why K-On! got so popular.

Love Live and K-On! have a lot of things that the otaku like, but the reason they're so successful is that they don't alienate everyone else. As someone whose gateway anime was K-On! I can vouch for its accessibility. And its sales, while amazing, were nowhere near Love Live's.

marx-chan said:
There's quite a few sport series coming out this year, and if the fujoshi latch onto one of them like they did with Free!/Haikyuu!!/Kuroko there is a chance something might challenge Sunshine! Just depends what the fujoshi go and group up to. If that happens it is.
It's possible, but if Sunshine sells as well as Love Live Season 2 did then even Free numbers won't get it that far.

Then again it might not. Plus those shows have Blu-ray and DVD sales to take into account (And from what I've gathered fujoshi anime tend to sell better on DVD) whereas Love Live is Blu-ray only. So all in all I'd say they've certainly got a shot if the fujoshi end up liking them

Comic_Sans said:
That's not going to happen
Not very good with jokes huh?
Apr 27, 2016 7:05 AM

Mar 2014
Not very good with jokes huh?
Oh no, it was a very funny joke

Not as funny as the Prison School dub though
Nico- said:
Apr 27, 2016 7:06 AM

Oct 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
Revvie-chan said:
Unlike µ's, in which the voice actresses were chosen based on their voice acting ability first, singing ability second
I very much doubt that Pile was hired for her acting abilities.

Plus the anime didn't come until 3 years after Love Live began so there's that too.

Maki didn't have that many lines in season 1.
Apr 27, 2016 7:29 AM

Nov 2008
New Game might outsell Love Live Sunshine, if LLS proves to be an utter disappointment like on the level of the Cinderella Girls anime. New Game most likely is going to sell at Gochiusa levels though.

Apr 27, 2016 7:33 AM

Mar 2012
Revvie-chan said:
Maki didn't have that many lines in season 1.
She had a fair few actually. And almost all of them were awkwardly delivered.

I hate to make direct comparisons between English and Japanese but in terms of pure acting ability Maki is the one character whose performance I can honestly say was better in the dub. Caitlin Glass has well over a decade of acting experience over Pile and it really shows. Way more confidence.

Hoppy said:
New Game might outsell Love Live Sunshine, if LLS proves to be an utter disappointment like on the level of the Cinderella Girls anime. New Game most likely is going to sell at Gochiusa levels though.
Cinderella Girls still did pretty well though. So did Psycho Pass 2 and that was an even bigger disaster.
SeibaaHomuApr 27, 2016 7:37 AM
Apr 27, 2016 8:02 AM

Jun 2009
I'm pretty excited for LLS oh I just hope it doesn't turn into another Cinderella Girls. And nice Tatsuya Katou is doing the music, I quite like his stuff.
jjihhyeApr 27, 2016 8:06 AM

Apr 27, 2016 8:26 AM

Sep 2013
I'm not looking forward to it, but I'll probably watch it.
Apr 27, 2016 8:41 AM

May 2013
SeibaaHomu said:

marx-chan said:
It's possible, but if Sunshine sells as well as Love Live Season 2 did then even Free numbers won't get it that far.

Then again it might not. Plus those shows have Blu-ray and DVD sales to take into account (And from what I've gathered fujoshi anime tend to sell better on DVD) whereas Love Live is Blu-ray only. So all in all I'd say they've certainly got a shot if the fujoshi end up liking them

I highly doubt that Sunshine! will sell as much as the 2nd season of Love Live. While possible, I'm remaining doubtful. I'd put it more in the range of selling about on par with the first season of Love Live!

Shows fujoshi group to typically have a higher percentage of DVD sales than shows popular with male otaku, but BD is becoming increasingly more popular with fujoshi and female otaku in general. Either way, just a wait and see type of scenario. We'll see what the fujoshi/female otaku will go after eventually.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Apr 27, 2016 8:50 AM

Nov 2015
Tainted said:
Hopefully this one will be great :)

And there goes my 666th post.

666th post aka the evil post oh my... Wasted to post about Love Live lol

But i agree, hopefully this one will be great :)
Apr 27, 2016 9:46 AM

Apr 2011
IM STILL

S
A
D.

but I'll probably end up watching it, still....
Apr 27, 2016 11:38 AM

May 2014
It will be hard to watch LLS without my waifu Nozomi being a part of it, but that's alright. Looks gorgeous and composition by Hibike! composer, sounds amazing.
Apr 27, 2016 4:20 PM

Aug 2013
I'll damned if Erino & Chiwa have a roles in Sunshine..
Apr 27, 2016 6:20 PM

Nov 2007
SeibaaHomu said:
Ejc said:

Of course. There are some shows that generate buzz when they air but fail to translate that into good Blu-ray sales. Nichijou and Mirai Nikki for example.

Love Live in general is just a lot more appealing to the uninitiated. That's probably why Love Live is so much more successful here in the west than Idolm@ster is (Well, that and shitty marketing). It's also the reason why K-On! got so popular.

Love Live and K-On! have a lot of things that the otaku like, but the reason they're so successful is that they don't alienate everyone else. As someone whose gateway anime was K-On! I can vouch for its accessibility. And its sales, while amazing, were nowhere near Love Live's.

Popularity in the West is irrelevant when talking about BD/DVD sales. Fact is that 90% of the Idolmaster fanbase was male, and was cited as a problem by the creator himself. This is why they had to establish Side-M to try and appeal more to females, because the original Idolmaster, and all the other versions (Cinderella Girls, Million Live, etc) completely fails in bringing in female fans except for that 10% who are probably idol fans themselves. It is Idolmaster that has many elements that otaku like, rather than Love Live and K-ON.

Love Live and K-ON had much balanced fanbases (Love Live is 56.6:43.4 male to female ratio, K-ON is 68:32 male to female ratio), and have more casual fans than Idolmaster ever will. They are also cited as cultural phenomenons in their primes, as K-ON actually influenced middle school girls to establish light music clubs at their schools and to take up the guitar, and we all know how judgmental they are for anything that may be liked by otaku. For Love Live, they started from nothing (only Mimorin and Nanjo were already relatively known) and rose to having a 2 day concert at Tokyo Dome, performing at Kouhaku (which is unheard of for anime-related artists unless you are MIZUKI Nana), almost grossing 3 billion yen at the Box Office, lasting at the Box Office for more than 29 weeks (beating out many of the mainstream competition in terms of staying power), having 9 gold disc certifications for shipping more than 100,000 copies each. I could go on and on, but Idolmaster is not in the same realm as Love Live or K-ON is.

SeibaaHomu said:
marx-chan said:

That's actually quite plausible, which is why I mentioned dark horses before. I don't think anyone expected Madoka, Shingeki no Kyojin or Osomatsu-san to sell as much as they did in 2011, 2013, and 2015. If Love Live SunShine sells as much as Love Live S2, then we could have a nice competition for best seller of 2016, if there is such a dark horse, but when we look at the CD sales (without any anime boost yet), it seems completely reasonable that SunShine most likely won't average below 50,000.
EjcApr 27, 2016 6:24 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by DARM11 »»
17 minutes ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

22 by ZXEAN »»
5 hours ago

» Musician wowaka Dies

Sakana-san - Apr 9, 2019

34 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
9 hours ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
10 hours ago

» Manga 'Medalist' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - May 17, 2023

55 by Adizcool »»
Yesterday, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.