Forum Settings
Forums

Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5

New
Pages (85) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2016 6:36 PM

Sep 2015
Overrated:

Overlord. Everything in this show was pointless. They spent the first major arc like 6 or 7 episodes building up a world that was not special. At the start they said that this was a fantasy world. I was expecting some cool landmarks or beautyful character and monster designs but no, this is you basic everyday fantasy world, nothing interesting about it at all. At the end of each arc nothing of importance was learned or put into practice. The only reason people prefer this to Sword Art Online is because the main characters were the bad guys. That's a common and horrible reason to excuse this show because nothing the protagonists do (If they do something in the first place) paints them as morally different when compared to the average townspeople plastered everywhere. The skeleton guy was overpowered to a fault seeing as the one time the show established any sort of threat, he wanted to handicap himself. Stupid. Artstyle was nothing, the sound was below average (I didn't like the timing on some occasions), the characters will not struggle or learn, the comedy was out of place, I couldn't find much to justify Overlord's ratinng. Yes the show seemed like it was building up to a second season but even if it was, there's not much to work off of.

Underrated:

Baby Steps. A sports anime that actually teaches how to play the sport like actual professionals. It's overshadowed by the other flashier animes's but Baby Steps stays consistent. It knows what it wants it's main character to learn and can present that through exciting matches that are pretty unpredictable.

Rarity is Best Pony!
Apr 26, 2016 6:38 PM

Nov 2015
tsudecimo said:
GesuYarou said:

I get why some people would be confused as to when to take this show seriously and when to not. But to me it's pretty clear; this show is pretty damn dark & serious, but its messages are conveyed in a very non-serious way. It's actually a mixture of both. Some might find it awkward and confusing, some might actually find it refreshing.

I'm wasn't I was confused when to take it seriously. I was saying the show itself was confused when it take itself seriously and when it doesn't. Dark? that's definitely the first time I've seen someone refer to the show like that. There is really nothing dark about the show, even it's most disturbing moments was just uncomfortable relationship between Satsuki and her mother. Everything else in terms of atmosphere is comedic and when it tries to be serious it has the B movie plot all over it, with Ryouko's ''dark'' transformation. The show never took itself serious consistently enough for a dark atmosphere to exist. Seconds after something grave happens, cue in Mako doing her usual bits. Or having a character moving in 2 frames ''kill'' someone a.k.a Nui. It never felt like they were any actual consequences, no death, no heavy penalties.

The reason as to why I find Kill la Kill underrated is because not everyone can understand Imaishis work. He always has some kind of symbolism going with it underneath his over the top comedy and off the wall action sequences..

I don't think this is even remotely true. There is a light social commentary in the series but the show never dwells enough on it for it to be of some substance. Just passing phases among all the wacky stuff. Even TTGL which was a lot more consistent in tone, wouldn't really say it had a lot of symbolism going for it, yes the underground space they were living represents oppression and piercing the sky represents freedom but that's about it, they are not core parts of the whole experience, they are small and very obvious parts of general outline but they are not necessarily a substantial message that carries the show.

Klk conveys it's anti-establishment, anti-fascist themes in a very pro women narrative (I know I'm not using the right words here). Honnouji academy is ruled by the misguided dictator Satsuki Kiryuin. Or rather than misguided, she's sly, clever & waits for the right moment to use her power against the real tyrant Ragyou Kiryiun..
Satsuki rules Honnouji Academy with an iron fist, forcing everyone to conform to her standards. She either heavily penalizes those who beg to differ, or promote them & allow them into her student council depending on whether or not she sees potential in them. She's also the symbol of perfection. She's portrayed to be perfect in her behavior, her mannerisms & imposes this 'perfection' upon her students...

On the other hand there's Matoi Ryuuko. She's on a mission & sees nothing else other than to avenge her father. She apparently doesn't really care about conforming or living up to the standards that the Honnouji academy expects it's students to meet. Instead she fights for individuality & free will..
Senketsu represents her inner conscience that prevents her from deviating from the goal she sets out to achieve. It's a symbol of individualistic thinking in the way that she's the only one who is willing to think & look differently..

How are those underlying themes? the show goes out of it's way by having Satsuki call people pigs and sheep. It was there but again it wasn't carrying the show, it was still just Ryouko blindly trying to get revenge. It's not a pro women narrative. The show never actually addresses gender. It never says women can be as strong or stronger than men. They just are stronger for no particular reason and almost all men characters in the show are completely useless. A pro women narrative would set both genders in equal footings and shows the perseverance of women among other things like the hunger games for example off the top of my head, Katnis didn't have special heritage or something special to fight with.

Don't get what the Senketsu paragraph has to do with anything, and I don't remember it to be true.

I'm thinking that the skimpy clothing is a symbolism for how everyone should be unashamed of their insecurities & should wear their personality on their sleeves. It may also have a more explicit meaning such as women wearing whatever they wan't or something like that. I haven't really figured that part out so far tbh..

Again that's not symbolism. And it's something Satsuki directly said to Ryouko. Which doesn't mean much nor is it a big message. Same thing can be found in a hanna montana show.

And it doesn't mean much when everybody in the show embraces nudity. It's only relevant to the literal plot of cloths. Simple messages that were very obvious.

I'm not really a very good writer & this may sound like complete pretentious bullshit but this is what I saw in it..

Klk is basically an exaggerated representation of real life social construct.
There's a somewhat similar kind of symbolism behind TTGL as well.

The problem with what you are saying is that you are treating some small things shown in the series and blowing them out of proportions. Aside from nudity and cloths there is no particular theme that was carrying the shows. Nor were any of them substantial enough to be called symbolism and themes that can be attributed as a reason to watch it. It barely has a social commentary going for it, but it doesn't focus enough on it to amount to something beyond basic understandings of general messages that can be found anywhere [ being comfortable in your skin, having individuality, difference between the rich and poor social classes, etc]

I would say something about your opinion on NHK as well but it's quite clear that you saw everything there was to it and simply just didn't enjoy it.
That's okay I guess..

I didn't think it was executed properly my actual enjoyment in a show like NHK is kinda irrelevant. In the sense that it's a depressing subject so entertainment outside of comedic scenes is unusual.

Well not really.
If you look at the little circle-jerk we had in the posts above you'll see that I'm definitely not the only one who felt this way.
And it's not like I'm blowing things out of proportion either.
Hell, every single time I talk to someone who liked Kill la Kill I learn something new about it (just like I learnt about Ryukos family background only after You (the MAL user) showed me his review. I had walked right past that until now).

I can link you to several other reviews that I agree with if you want me to..
Apr 26, 2016 6:38 PM

Dec 2014
Overrated:

Saekano: Gotta agree with RandomDude with his statement that this is overrated. Many people say that this is one of the funniest parodies from recent years. All I got was a dull harem that tried to present itself as smarter than it really is. Pointing out that your character is a tsundere isn't funny. That's like me pointing out that some kid in the school locker room is wearing red clothing.

DanMachi: Another dull LN adaptation that people try to say is different. At least Calvary had nice visual flair and a decent romance. What does this have? Absolutely nothing over its competitors. Can someone explain to me why someone would go bash Asterisk War (which I agree with many that its terrible) for being generic LN schlock and then go praise this for doing the same shit? I haven't seen a case of this happening, but I'm pretty something has done it.

ERASED: I gave this a 9, but the score for this thing should be like an 8.5 maximum on this site. Too fucking inconsistent for me, and the ending was a mess.

Underrated:

Concrete Revolutio: Sure, I only gave the 1st season a 7, but god damn, this show doesn't deserve just a 6.9. Maybe during its first half, but not afterwards.

Dagashi Kashi, Bakuon, Kuma Miko, Tanaka-kun, Flying Witch, Sansha Sanyou, High School Fleet, Anne Happy: Pretty much any recent SOL is rated too damn low on this site. I understand that their humor is not for everyone, but Bakuon especially. It's the best comedic show this season and it only has a 6.3 rating. To put that into perspective, it has a lower score than RAIL WARS of all things. The only exception to this rule is Gakkougurashi, which is rated pretty damn fairly on here. (Also apparently Dagashi Kashi wasn't well received with some of the very few fans of the manga either. I don't know what the anime did wrong, but according to some they shifted some of the focus away from Hotaru to Saya. IMO that's for the better as if they kept playing off Hotaru it'd get annoying quick in my opinion. An eccentric nutcase like her can't run a show by herself all the time. In my opinion the show actually was at its best during its slower moments.)

Boogiepop Phantom: For a show with a 7.2 rating this was really fucking good. Engaging series with a lot of twists and turns. One of the few episodic mystery anime I can legit call good.

Dimension W: Another one that manga readers didn't really like due to rushed pacing of the source material; With the 12 episode limit they were given what they did was the best they could've done. (You wouldn't want another Gangsta ending would you?) And before you call me a hypocrite because I gave this a 9 and Charlotte a 4: I gave an actual fuck about what happened during Dimension W's last arc. No fucks were given during Charlotte. If that show can have 7.9, than surely Dimension W could score more than a fucking 7.4. (Basically a reverse of what I said about DanMachi) Most people complained that this thing just started throwing random shit at the wall during the final arc, but I just don't see it. (If you really want a recent show that throws shit at the wall, see Comet Lucifer or Divine Gate)

Also agreeing with: Ushio to Tora, Junketsu no Maria, Yamada-kun

Honorable Mentions (Shows I think have too low of ratings on here, but I can understand why a lot of people don't like them): Perfect Insider, Yuri Kuma, Active Raid, Koukaku no Pandora, Shoujo-tachi, Sekai Seifuku
Apr 26, 2016 6:43 PM

Jan 2013
Fullmetal-Ghoul said:
95PercentCaim said:
Yes you can. Tone shifts are always used in narratives. Your favorite show, Gurren Lagann, had a huge tonal shift in narrative when Kamina died, in fact.

TTGL's tonal shift was way more foreshadowed, and I also consider it a flaw in TTGL. Though, that is not when the tonal shift happens. It happens with the timeskip
No, you can actually feel the tonal shift after what happens to

literally becomes an edgelord and everybody gets all hopeless and edgy. What you were referring to was a change in setting.

Also foreshadowed?
literally gets murdered in the first episode of Steins;Gate. If that isn't enough foreshadowing for the shift that was going to occur in the second half than you must be blind.
TyrelApr 26, 2016 8:54 PM
Apr 26, 2016 6:51 PM

Dec 2012
GesuYarou said:

Well not really.
If you look at the little circle-jerk we had in the posts above you'll see that I'm definitely not the only one who felt this way.
Hell, every single time I talk to someone who liked Kill la Kill I learn something new about it (just like I learnt about Ryukos family background only after You (the MAL user) showed me his review. I had walked right past that until now).

That doesn't change anything, nor make your claim truer. They were people on tumblr saying there was symbolism with puberty and the white dress, and how this was an anti patriarchy and what not. Claiming it has as much symbolism and empowering as Utena. Which makes your opinion seem a lot more tame but that also doesn't mean its more credible.

What family background?

Seems pointless. If I wanted to see a positive review of KLK that mentions symbolism I would just google it, same goes for any other anime being mentioned here, positive or negative. The whole point of a forum is discussion between users. Using someone else thoughts as arguments renders the whole interaction pointless, and I wouldn't get to refute back with said reviewer.
Apr 26, 2016 6:52 PM

Sep 2012
Despite me having a personal attachment to it due to being my gateway anime, Angel Beats would probably take the spot of most overrated show, as the setting is barely explored, the characters end up feeling like cardboard cutouts of their archetypes and there are a lot of questionable things about its consistency. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso as well, as I found the execution of the drama to be a bit lackluster, specifically during the middle portion of the show where the subplots overshadowed the main plot, but that one at least had a good ending so I'm gonna stick with AB.

As for more underrated, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. From what I see in several reactions online, people hate it because the events that happen in that show are very controversial to say the least, and the characters aren't written to be that likable, but in terms of being a mature romance that handles itself really well (other than the rushed first two episodes) it accomplishes a lot in my opinion. White Album 2 is another anime I feel is underrated and for similar reasons as KimiNozo.
Apr 26, 2016 6:52 PM

Mar 2015
QABJAB said:
Underrated:

Baby Steps. A sports anime that actually teaches how to play the sport like actual professionals. It's overshadowed by the other flashier animes's but Baby Steps stays consistent. It knows what it wants it's main character to learn and can present that through exciting matches that are pretty unpredictable.
people expecting some engaging battle with overblown character that does amazing stuff every damn second... that's why mundane sports series usually underrated... giant killing can be included too...
Burger-Meister said:
(Also apparently Dagashi Kashi wasn't well received with some of the very few fans of the manga either. I don't know what the anime did wrong, but according to some they shifted some of the focus away from Hotaru to Saya. IMO that's for the better as if they kept playing off Hotaru it'd get annoying quick in my opinion. An eccentric nutcase like her can't run a show by herself all the time. In my opinion the show actually was at its best during its slower moments.)
as manga reader, the problem is more than hotaru saya things.... let me repost my old post..
Kuma said:
> it's repetative. what i mean repetative is not the story, but the theme, dagashi that introduced is just recycled. it's not exciting.
> the story it self build with summer theme with short stories and impactful things in the end. it become old when it streched and repeated. IE: it's lost it's impact when it longer. 6-8 minutes preferrable.
> it pushing the character too far, not only saya-chan but everyone. the dialogue is herrediously slow for fast paced story. it lost it cheerful spirit.

this series supposed to be exciting,fresh, and cheerful, not calm, slow and mundane.
i am not such purist, so i only stated what i get and what i expect.. dunno why many people that don't read manga also dislike this series... TLDR: it's lost it's summer spirits,,,,
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 26, 2016 6:56 PM

Nov 2015
tsudecimo said:
GesuYarou said:

Well not really.

That doesn't change anything, nor make your claim truer. They were people on tumblr saying there was symbolism with puberty and the white dress, and how this was an anti patriarchy and what not. Claiming it has as much symbolism and empowering as Utena. Which makes your opinion seem a lot more tame but that also doesn't mean its more credible.

What family background?

Seems pointless. If I wanted to see a positive review of KLK that mentions symbolism I would just google it, same goes for any other anime being mentioned here, positive or negative. The whole point of a forum is discussion between users. Using someone else thoughts as arguments renders the whole interaction pointless, and I wouldn't get to refute back with said reviewer.

You're basically calling someone's opinion pointless.
All I was saying was that if there are several other people who thought the same way as I did there has to be something beneath the surface.

Different opinions. I gave you mine..
Apr 26, 2016 6:58 PM

Jan 2015
Tenyasha said:
Despite me having a personal attachment to it due to being my gateway anime, Angel Beats would probably take the spot of most overrated show, as the setting is barely explored, the characters end up feeling like cardboard cutouts of their archetypes and there are a lot of questionable things about its consistency. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso as well, as I found the execution of the drama to be a bit lackluster, specifically during the middle portion of the show where the subplots overshadowed the main plot, but that one at least had a good ending so I'm gonna stick with AB.

As for more underrated, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. From what I see in several reactions online, people hate it because the events that happen in that show are very controversial to say the least, and the characters aren't written to be that likable, but in terms of being a mature romance that handles itself really well (other than the rushed first two episodes) it accomplishes a lot in my opinion. White Album 2 is another anime I feel is underrated and for similar reasons as KimiNozo.

While I agree with you on Shigatsu, I personally feel that Angel Beats is more wasted potential than overrated. But the amount of praise it does get for what it gives is way to disproportional.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 26, 2016 6:59 PM

Dec 2012
Tenyasha said:

Agreed. It was such an emotional rollercoster. I feel that people often refuse to put themselves in the other characters perspective, instead of trying to understand their action they just hate them, especially if it's a female character because the often insert themselves as the protagonist and feel cheated when something that you want to happen doesn't. Another example of this is True Tears, I've talked to many people and it seems most people were so upset their favorite girl didn't ''win'' that they scored it badly, completely forgetting how good the show was before the final episode even happened.

Really like White Album 2, it does share similarities with Kimi.

Fun fact: Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien used to be the number one ranked anime in this site lol.
Apr 26, 2016 7:02 PM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
Tenyasha said:

Agreed. It was such an emotional rollercoster. I feel that people often refuse to put themselves in the other characters perspective, instead of trying to understand their action they just hate them, especially if it's a female character because the often insert themselves as the protagonist and feel cheated when something that you want to happen doesn't. Another example of this is True Tears, I've talked to many people and it seems most people were so upset their favorite girl didn't ''win'' that they scored it badly, completely forgetting how good the show was before the final episode even happened.

Really like White Album 2, it does share similarities with Kimi.

Fun fact: Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien used to be the number one ranked anime in this site lol.

It's interesting you brought True Tears to this, because I was thinking of adding it along with KimiNozo and WA2 as well. And for the same exact reasons too. It's another case of people many times ignoring the substance of a show in favor of pairings and other irrelevant things. In the case of True Tears, it made sense for him to end up with you-know-who, and that's all it matters to me.
Apr 26, 2016 7:03 PM

Dec 2012
GesuYarou said:

All I was saying was that if there are several other people who thought the same way as I did there has to be something beneath the surface.

I didn't but mmkay.

I don't know, feels awfully similar to a logical fallacy.

What family background in my review? I'm still confused about this.

Oh ''You''
rofl
tsudecimoApr 26, 2016 7:07 PM
Apr 26, 2016 7:05 PM

Nov 2015
tsudecimo said:
GesuYarou said:

I didn't but mmkay you are not getting my points.

I don't know feels awfully similar to a logical fallacy.

What family background in my review? I'm still confused about this.

lol not your review, I meant @You 's review.
It's up there in our circle-jerk on page 3
Apr 26, 2016 7:06 PM

Nov 2013
Underrated:

Ga-Rei Zero
It did really well on psychological aspect (mental breakdown, fear, envy, sadness, determination, etc). The plot and setting is interesting and it has great action scenes. The characters and their development are also executed very well imo, especially for the 2 main characters. I suspect that a lot of people is turned off and heavily influenced by the first 2 episodes (shits happened so sudden without proper buildup) and judge based on that. But if you watch it as a whole, Ga-Rei Zero is really great. It should be on 8+ rating

Concrete Revolutio
Underrated and underwatched. It is one of unique anime that rarely happens recently. It combines a lot of elements and make them colorful. Most of the series is episodic story and character based, but when you watch all of the episodes the bigger picture of the story is becoming clear. It handled society facing superhuman phenomena and government conspiracy in an interesting way of storytelling. I'd say it should be on 7.5+ or around 8.
Apr 26, 2016 7:56 PM

Apr 2013
The nostalgia @__@
Underrated:
FLCL
Short, but with a lot to offer. As a coming of age story, It succeeds in putting the viewer in the head of a confused kid who sees life and adults as unpredictable. Figuring out all the symbolism can be challenging at parts, but it's fun too.
From the comments on kissanime and mal it seems that many people dismissed the whole show as 'random,' which kind of depressing.

Princess Tutu
A bunch of people compare it to madoka but, besides the whole 'dark magical girl thing,' the two shows are very different. Unlike most stories, the protagonist is not destined for greatness, but destined to be someone who facilitates the true heroes of the story. The characters struggle with questions about fate and destiny- is it fair, is there a point in defying it. While the conclusions they draw might not be particularly unique, it makes for a thought provoking and enjoyable story.
The enemy of the week format might not be appealing to everyone and it does get repetitive in the second half, but overall the show deserves more appreciation.
Apr 26, 2016 8:09 PM

Sep 2013
Underrated:

Chronicles of the Going Home Club
I really was not expecting much from this anime, I watched as part of the anime challenge thread so thought i give it a go as it had two of favorite genres Comedy and Slice of life. It starts off slow, with the first couple of episodes being below average which. It was pretty generic so I can see why people dropped it, especially seeing that it was aired during a pretty strong anime season. However come the 4th episode the series completely takes a life of it own. It seemed as if they writers had stopped being so serious and just had fun for the rest of the season which in turn really helped the anime a lot. The jokes were hilarious, the characters seemed to have more depth to them and the 4th wall was annihilated.

Its rating is too low at 6.82 in my opinion but it understandable because I can see why its rated so low as people who had dropped it would have given a poor rating without giving the whole series a chance. It definitely a very fun and relaxing anime to watch if you can get past the first couple of episodes.
Apr 26, 2016 8:10 PM

Mar 2014
Both of my underrated have already been said.

Garo (1st season only) and Concrete Revolutio.

These two series have very likable characters. Garo's plot isn't exactly unique but the MC undergoes good character development, as do other characters.

For Concrete Revolutio, most people just dropped it cause they couldn't handle flash backs and flash forwards. if you can handle Baccano! then you can handle it in this show. This show makes one think to themselves about their own version of justice and I just enjoy series that make me question some of my own ideals.
Apr 26, 2016 8:36 PM

Oct 2013
jejehartadi said:
Underrated:

Ga-Rei Zero
It did really well on psychological aspect (mental breakdown, fear, envy, sadness, determination, etc). The plot and setting is interesting and it has great action scenes. The characters and their development are also executed very well imo, especially for the 2 main characters. I suspect that a lot of people is turned off and heavily influenced by the first 2 episodes (shits happened so sudden without proper buildup) and judge based on that. But if you watch it as a whole, Ga-Rei Zero is really great. It should be on 8+ rating

Concrete Revolutio
Underrated and underwatched. It is one of unique anime that rarely happens recently. It combines a lot of elements and make them colorful. Most of the series is episodic story and character based, but when you watch all of the episodes the bigger picture of the story is becoming clear. It handled society facing superhuman phenomena and government conspiracy in an interesting way of storytelling. I'd say it should be on 7.5+ or around 8.

I was planning on giving Concrete Revolution a shot but when I saw you said it is a episodic series I instantly change my mind. lol
Apr 26, 2016 8:43 PM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
jejehartadi said:
Underrated:

Ga-Rei Zero

Concrete Revolutio

I was planning on giving Concrete Revolution a shot but when I saw you said it is a episodic series I instantly change my mind. lol
it has episodc plot, but it's also have uproaching plot... that's what make it kinda confusing.. those uproaching plot wrapped in episodic style which one that are directly connected each other when each episode swapping whcih plot that focused... need more thingking about it TBH...
KumaApr 26, 2016 8:47 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 26, 2016 8:54 PM

Mar 2015
Kuma said:
Gabagool said:

For starters, I originally thought you meant the K-On second season and K-On movie lol.
i am honestly adore K-on season one until episode 8 or something when all drama starting... it's just plain stupid and come out outa nowhere...

spoiler pls
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie
This salad is salty favored
Apr 26, 2016 8:57 PM

Nov 2013
keragamming said:
jejehartadi said:
Underrated:

Ga-Rei Zero

Concrete Revolutio

Well, it does have an overarching plot over the series, and a few last episodes are not episodic but continuous, but a lot of episodes are focusing on 1 character's story or an event. It also has a strange timeline and go back and forward so maybe it's not for everyone.

OT : Overrated:

Cowboy Bebop
It has an interesting setting, good animation and good OST. I don't have any problem with episodic series, but a lot of episodes of Cowboy Bebop didn't give enough entertainment. It's mostly felt plain imo. I'd like to give this an 8 on my personal ratings but I just don't like many of the episodes (maybe because personal taste). I really like the 2 final episodes though, it was great. If you'd like to appreciate this show for the good aspects (animation, style, OST, some of good episodes) I think it should be around 8.0-8.4 ratings.
Apr 26, 2016 9:02 PM

Mar 2015
_Esper_ said:
Kuma said:
i am honestly adore K-on season one until episode 8 or something when all drama starting... it's just plain stupid and come out outa nowhere...

spoiler pls
KumaApr 26, 2016 9:08 PM
Apr 26, 2016 9:16 PM

Mar 2015
Kuma said:
_Esper_ said:
That is how the story goes.. The author decide that the movie is the
Apr 26, 2016 9:22 PM

Mar 2015
_Esper_ said:
Kuma said:
that's why i don't understand what author or people try to do by relating endless 8 and dispperance.. there is none foreshadowing, or a hint that make it related in endless 8... it's dispperance that just suddenly refer endless 8 as excuse... there is event that make more sanse if they try to related it and give little effort to make it look like hint before... and yes, i watch the whole endless 8, twice...
KumaApr 26, 2016 9:26 PM
Apr 26, 2016 9:36 PM

Apr 2016
I'm probably gonna say one that's been listed many times, but overrated beyond belief
Sword Art Online.
This anime is beyond overrated, simply because, Kirito is that one character that will never fail, and doesn't have good character development. Literally every female gets wet over his presence. He's literally a Mary Sue / Gary Stue character, he's perfect at everything he does. Nothing is a challenge to him because he'll god-mode right through it.

But I mostly think it's overrated because it has very lovely animation, very pretty backgrounds and visuals, that no one really cares about the story. They just enjoy how well animated and designed the fight scenes are, which I give credit too because the anime is very lovely in design.
So good designs + good animation + super powerful character that seems very badass = So popular, no one cares about if the stories good or not.

But I can't really have a say in that, since I like Sora from No Game No Life, and he's basically a Mary Sue / Gary Sue. Oh well.
Apr 26, 2016 9:44 PM

Mar 2015
Kuma said:
_Esper_ said:
that's why i don't understand what author or people try to do by relating endless 8 and dispperance.. there is none foreshadowing, or a hint that make it related in endless 8... it's dispperance that just suddenly refer endless 8 as excuse... there is event that make more sanse if they try to related it and give little effort to make it look like hint before... and yes, i watch the whole endless 8, twice...
LoL. I see.. Endless 8 probably contribute a little a bit of error, but for solid relation with that movie., it lack of strength.
Apr 26, 2016 9:54 PM

Mar 2015
_Esper_ said:
Kuma said:
LoL. I see.. Endless 8 probably contribute a little a bit of error, but for solid relation with that movie., it lack of strength.
exactly, that's why i don't understand what people trying to said that "if you understand endless 8, you will like movie more. endless 8 is just warm-up to desperance, and you will respect seacond season and movie more". the more i watch endless 8, the more i find it unrelated and even make me endless 8 is just totaly useless and just kyoani doing experimental project. disperance is cheap monay grabbing with poor excuse... (the movie it self is not bad by anymean as stand alone series)
Apr 26, 2016 10:08 PM
Jan 2013
Kuma said:
_Esper_ said:
exactly, that's why i don't understand what people trying to said that "if you understand endless 8, you will like movie more. endless 8 is just warm-up to desperance, and you will respect seacond season and movie more". the more i watch endless 8, the more i find it unrelated and even make me endless 8 is just totaly useless and just kyoani doing experimental project. disperance is cheap monay grabbing with poor excuse... (the movie it self is not bad by anymean as stand alone series)
1 - Why the hell would you watch Endless Eight 3 times
Who does that to himself
That's self torture
That's wrong

2 - I'm with you that KyoAni turned Haruhi into their little experimental project
"Broadcast order" is hella stupid
"Endless Eight" is hella stupid (Specially since Endless Eight on the novels was only one timeline, it took was 50 pages long, Yen Press Version. It was a goddamn short story with 2 other stories on the same book)

3 - Shitte, I'm not sure but I think Kyon mentioned the Endless Eight repetition on things that "stressed" Yuki enough to make her do what she did
That's Kyon seeing Yuki more on the human way though
But it's pretty faint, I'm don't remember if this was mentioned on the novel and I'm lazy to recheck
gone bai bai
Apr 26, 2016 10:24 PM

Mar 2015
Mkim said:
Kuma said:
Who does that to himself
That's self torture
That's wrong
- first time. i am totaly uninformed about this, i still don't know internet forum.. watch them expecting something will change...
- second time somebody tell me to watch them carfully and understand it deep;ly for disperance
- third time i just like try to watch in chronological order #yolo #sweg #brutal #iamsohardcore

Mkim said:
2 - I'm with you that KyoAni turned Haruhi into their little experimental project
"Endless Eight" is hella stupid (Specially since Endless Eight on the novels was only one timeline, it took was 50 pages long, Yen Press Version. It was a goddamn short story with 2 other stories on the same book)

3 - Shitte, I'm not sure but I think Kyon mentioned the Endless Eight repetition on things that "stressed" Yuki enough to make her do what she did
But it's pretty faint, I'm don't remember if this was mentioned on the novel and I'm lazy to recheck
IIRC in anime, totaly not like that... it's more like
> kyon feeling dejavu
> that bitch with big boobs friend from future confirmed the future is gone, kyon panicked
> kyon asking to yuki to make it sure
> yuki confirmed by telling the number of loop
> kyon even more surprised and asking "why you don't tell me about any of this?"
> and yuki be like "do i look like i give a fuck?"
> kyon feel pity on yuki because she feel all of them, and imagine how normal human already go insane, but yuki still doesn't give a fuck either..
> it's nothing change until last episode, in last episode, yuki seriously nothing change from first episode other than clothes, just kyon suddenly fix the problem...
Apr 26, 2016 10:34 PM
Jan 2013
Kuma said:
Mkim said:
Who does that to himself
That's self torture
That's wrong
- first time. i am totaly uninformed about this, i still don't know internet forum.. watch them expecting something will change...
- second time somebody tell me to watch them carfully and understand it deep;ly for disperance
- third time i just like try to watch in chronological order #yolo #sweg #brutal #iamsohardcore

Mkim said:

IIRC in anime, totaly not like that... it's more like
> kyon feeling dejavu
> that bitch with big boobs friend from future confirmed the future is gone, kyon panicked
> kyon asking to yuki to make it sure
> yuki confirmed by telling the number of loop
> kyon even more surprised and asking "why you don't tell me about any of this?"
> and yuki be like "do i look like i give a fuck?"
> kyon feel pity on yuki because she feel all of them, and imagine how normal human already go insane, but yuki still doesn't give a fuck either..
> it's nothing change until last episode, in last episode, yuki seriously nothing change from first episode other than clothes, just kyon suddenly fix the problem...
Yeah, the novel is like that up until the part where everyone just change clothes to make things feel a bit different cause KyoAni did the same focken episode 8 times and on the novel people can't change clothes cause Tanigawa Nagaru isn't a stupid bastard and he only wrote one repetition of Endless Eight
gone bai bai
Apr 26, 2016 10:44 PM

Dec 2012
Kuma said:
keragamming said:

it has episodc plot, but it's also have uproaching plot... that's what make it kinda confusing.. those uproaching plot wrapped in episodic style which one that are directly connected each other when each episode swapping whcih plot that focused... need more thingking about it TBH...

Actually, the plot is non-linear, goes back and forth between a couple of years to explain what the main guy is doing (he changed and has reasons, so if you are going to watch it, you'd need time to organize the timeline first @keragamming).
Apr 26, 2016 10:45 PM

Sep 2011
Thread has been cleaned up until here.
Apr 26, 2016 10:48 PM

Apr 2012
Tyrel said:

Great I was editting my post and it got deleted after I typed a chunk.
@inuvivo on twitter!
Apr 26, 2016 10:49 PM

Nov 2012
Burger-Meister said:
Boogiepop Phantom: For a show with a 7.2 rating this was really fucking good. Engaging series with a lot of twists and turns. One of the few episodic mystery anime I can legit call good.

i agree, this series is definitely underrated on this site. imo it manages to have a better "horror-like" atmosphere than most "horror" tagged anime on this site, and i loved how they unfolded the story by showing different characters' perspectives.
Apr 26, 2016 11:05 PM

Mar 2015
zellami said:
Kuma said:

Actually, the plot is non-linear, goes back and forth between a couple of years to explain what the main guy is doing (he changed and has reasons, so if you are going to watch it, you'd need time to organize the timeline first @keragamming).
actually the plot is linear, it's main focus is year shinka/showa 41 to 43 for first season and continuou it for each episode, (41 is first kikko joining beareu and 43 is jiro left the beaureu) those episodic plot also using liniear timeline.. they are just expanding what related with what plot currently presented, but if series usually only give flashback plotline, this also give the future timeline effect for of the plot.

43 shinka/showa onwards is for second season.

note that most of event inspired by real life event in japan...
Apr 26, 2016 11:06 PM

Sep 2011
iNVivO said:
Tyrel said:

Great I was editting my post and it got deleted after I typed a chunk.
Your post was there for a good while. You shouldn't've made a post without putting anything there. As I said in the OP, all posts w/o reason will be instantly deleted when I see it.
Apr 26, 2016 11:16 PM
Jun 2015
I think Shigofumi is really underrated and unappreciated. I think the story is very unique, its one of those episodic shows but it ties things up nicely so that everything makes sense. All in all i think its a good show, the only anime i can really think of that is similar is Jigoku Shoujo.
Apr 26, 2016 11:32 PM

Apr 2014
tsudecimo said:
Rayzer said:
But on Boku no Hero Academia being underrated? It was been added by over 100,000 MAL users, and only 19,000+ had scored it.
So it's too early to take that score seriously. It's just almost 20% and 80% was undecided.
I wasn't really referring to the score more to the comments I read in episode discussion threads. Though I only recently realized most people don't score shows early always thought the opposite was true
Don't take them seriously. The haters just got a lot of free time to bash on something.
And the other people doesn't have time to post on every discussion or they just don't want to post.
Haters always gonna hate.
Apr 26, 2016 11:41 PM

Dec 2012
Kuma said:
zellami said:

actually the plot is linear, it's main focus is year shinka/showa 41 to 43 for first season and continuou it for each episode, (41 is first kikko joining beareu and 43 is jiro left the beaureu) those episodic plot also using liniear timeline.. they are just expanding what related with what plot currently presented, but if series usually only give flashback plotline, this also give the future timeline effect for of the plot.

Oh, really? Didn't know that.

Kuma, can we agree to disagree on the plot. It isn't exactly linear, like ... I'don't know Cerbereus, for example. Agreed on the past and future plotlines by episode.

It was difficult to follow it in the beginning, but later got used to it. And I intend to watch season 2, I'll just wait for more episodes to pile up.
Apr 26, 2016 11:49 PM

Mar 2008
Rayzer said:
tsudecimo said:
I wasn't really referring to the score more to the comments I read in episode discussion threads. Though I only recently realized most people don't score shows early always thought the opposite was true
Don't take them seriously. The haters just got a lot of free time to bash on something.
And the other people doesn't have time to post on every discussion or they just don't want to post.

And does the same apply to fans who must have too much time to love something? Fair-minded people are somehow inherently busy? People who post have worthless opinions? There's something warped in your reasoning here.

It might not be what you meant, but you're implying some rather unfortunate things.
Apr 26, 2016 11:53 PM

Feb 2015
I kind of like Attack on Titan even though it seems to have some negativity attached to it at times.

On the other hand, was never able to get into that Lie in April Show. Actually I never really enjoyed Nodame Cantabile either, so er, yeah. Although, still was perhaps a bit fun for a lazy summer day or something.
Apr 26, 2016 11:57 PM

Mar 2015
zellami said:
Kuma said:

Kuma, can we agree to disagree on the plot. It isn't exactly linear, like ... I'don't know Cerbereus, for example. Agreed on the past and future plotlines by episode.

It was difficult to follow it in the beginning, but later got used to it. And I intend to watch season 2, I'll just wait for more episodes to pile up.
google unit 731, it's most of infamous refference..

TBH, i can't said it has strigh timeline either.. but saying it totaly don't use any formulatic linier timeline isn't correct either... it's unique to said.. it following certain timeline when inserting pararel timeline inbetween it .. they also have both episodic plot and overreaching plotline... this show is totaly unique in this aspec..

and this things is still same on second season.. but luckyly second season is much more direct...
Apr 27, 2016 12:20 AM

Dec 2012
Kuma said:
zellami said:

google unit 731, it's most of infamous refference..

TBH, i can't said it has strigh timeline either.. but saying it totaly don't use any formulatic linier timeline isn't correct either... it's unique to said.. it following certain timeline when inserting pararel timeline inbetween it .. they also have both episodic plot and overreaching plotline... this show is totaly unique in this aspec..

and this things is still same on second season.. but luckyly second season is much more direct...

Absolutely unique in term of telling the story, no doubt about that! :)

Thanks for the info. I'd go read the Revolutio boards for more references!
Apr 27, 2016 12:22 AM

May 2014
Skipping Overrated.

From The New World is very underrated. Definitely one of the most interesting stories I've seen and plenty of awesome plot twists, a world that is constantly changing as you learn more about it. Plus an interesting look at humanity and behavior.
There’s no such thing as miracles, only the inevitable, the accidental
and the things we do.
Apr 27, 2016 12:45 AM

Mar 2015
Overrated:

Clannad After Story

One Punch Man

I don't hate it, the animation and music is great. But, the episodes get boring because they are formulaic and you already know how it's gonna play out and how it'll end. Genos gets wrecked and Saitama one punches the baddie for a trivial reason.

Underrated:

Death Parade. It feels like the score it's given despite it being quite high could probably be higher because of the meaning the show brings.

Anime de Wakaru Shinryounaika. Very rarely do you get an educational psychology anime and comedy wrapped up in 5 minute episodes. The comedy is quick, snappy and random but still quite funny mixed in with a decent amount of knowledge about psychological disorders.
GaryMuffuginOakApr 27, 2016 1:31 AM
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Apr 27, 2016 12:57 AM

Oct 2013
@zellami @Kuma I'm reading both you guys back and forth replies and I pretty much got the reason why this series is rated so low. It's because of the timeline? It all makes sense now. Hmmmm.... I'll give it a shot, I guess
Apr 27, 2016 1:10 AM

Mar 2015
keragamming said:
@zellami @Kuma I'm reading both you guys back and forth replies and I pretty much got the reason why this series is rated so low. It's because of the timeline? It all makes sense now. Hmmmm.... I'll give it a shot, I guess
yep it is. the main reason is complicated timeline and plot is very toughprovoking that make many people disliked it. it also looke like plotless episodic show if you don't give atention to timeline... it's also have heavy theme make many refference to past that need decent knowladge about japan ideologies (i mean they even tickle japan propaganda, dualism in goverment, sensitive issue like nuclear and billateral relationship especially with USA), but all of them represented in colerfur overblown action and exagrated overused "hero" theme with average characters...
Apr 27, 2016 1:29 AM

Apr 2013
Kuma said:
keragamming said:
yep it is. the main reason is complicated timeline and plot is very toughprovoking that make many people disliked it. it also looke like plotless episodic show if you don't give atention to timeline... it's also have heavy theme make many refference to past that need decent knowladge about japan ideologies (i mean they even tickle japan propaganda, dualism in goverment, sensitive issue like nuclear and billateral relationship especially with USA), but all of them represented in colerfur overblown action and exagrated overused "hero" theme with average characters...

I gave it a 5 and while the non linear storytelling did bother me because it basically added nothing unlike say with Baccano, the main reason I had a lot of issues with t stems from its episodic nature. Most of the stories had to be completed within basically 20 minutes and everything always seemed rushed. The back and forth in years wasn't really confusing, it was just pointless to me.
It did show potential and the future timeline seemed more interesting, Does the second cour seem like an improvement so far?
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 27, 2016 1:41 AM

Mar 2015
geralt said:
Kuma said:

I gave it a 5 and while the non linear storytelling did bother me because it basically added nothing unlike say with Baccano, the main reason I had a lot of issues with t stems from its episodic nature. Most of the stories had to be completed within basically 20 minutes and everything always seemed rushed. The back and forth in years wasn't really confusing, it was just pointless to me.
It did show potential and the future timeline seemed more interesting, Does the second cour seem like an improvement so far?
the problem is those episodic stories with each episode have their own theme, story, and message. that is what it actually try to deliver.. those overreaching plot is the one that tied all of episodic story... imagine SOL series with action and actually plot try to tied them, that's what it try to deliver... it's hit or miss, but hit for me most of time.. if you didn't enjoy the episodic nature of this series, you wouldn't like the most of it series...

sure the none linier story telling doesn't actually necessary in this kind of shows, but that's what make it feel different... baccano is more character centeric story telling when concrette revolution is plot-theme focused story telling... but yeah, the time limit make it feel rushed but i already used with how uncosistency pace in episodic shows, so i don't really bother with it....

as for second season, as far as i watch (3 episode) the timeline is more stright, but episodic nature is become much stronger.. look like i don't suggest you if you don't really like episodic nature of this shows...
KumaApr 27, 2016 1:45 AM
Apr 27, 2016 7:41 AM

Oct 2015
A series I think is underrated is a show very dear to me called Fantastic Children. It seems that no one other than myself have seen it(which I know is not true) It has an interesting story, slightly interesting characters and a twist that, while cliché, you won't see it coming unless you've seen the anime before. I can't go into too many details without spoiling the series,, but it starts out with a group of children who seem to be looking for someone. Let's just say that they always came close to finding them. Now, it has some flaws, and it came out in 2005.(I saw it in 2008) One of the main reasons I've heard some reviewers said it took them awhile to get to this series is that they wrote it off because of it's artstyle at first saying it looked like a kid's anime. But it's artstyle slightly reminds me of Shotaro Ishinomori's work and Osamu Tezuka's work(just a little) and not all of the anime based off their manga(or some their manga for that matter) was for children. I think people would like this series if they gave it a shot. And if they don't like it, hey at least they gave it a shot, I don't care if they drop it after the first episode and call it garbage. I just want people to give it a chance.
I like what I like and I'm not that picky, and I'm immune to spoilers
Pages (85) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

31 by WatchTillTandava »»
2 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

8 by Akuya »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

56 by RantingMarauder »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

18 by Daviljoe193 »»
25 minutes ago

» peak piece

Cyborgium - Mar 28

6 by SnipeStrike »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.