Forum Settings
Forums

Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5

New
Pages (85) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2016 7:28 AM

Mar 2015
i heard saiki kusou anime adaptation is romored, i feel really happy if it become true.. one of very obsecure wsj title.. really need more people to observe this series...

and now waiting patiently for black clover anime adaptation...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 26, 2016 7:45 AM

Nov 2015
tsudecimo said:
Overrated:

Kill la Kill
Not quite as liked now as it was when it was first aired. For what it's worth it improved my impression of TTGL. I think TTGL's story doesn't get enough credit.

review

Mainly a better pacing would have made it a lot more enjoyable. I think 13 episodes would have a been a better choice.

I get why some people would be confused as to when to take this show seriously and when to not. But to me it's pretty clear; this show is pretty damn dark & serious, but its messages are conveyed in a very non-serious way. It's actually a mixture of both. Some might find it awkward and confusing, some might actually find it refreshing.

The reason as to why I find Kill la Kill underrated is because not everyone can understand Imaishis work. He always has some kind of symbolism going with it underneath his over the top comedy and off the wall action sequences..

Now I'm not accusing you for not noticing this or anything but here's what I said to merryfistmas in a profile comment:

Klk is basically an exaggerated representation of real life social construct.
There's a somewhat similar kind of symbolism behind TTGL as well..

I would say something about your opinion on NHK as well but it's quite clear that you saw everything there was to it and simply just didn't enjoy it.
That's okay I guess..
Apr 26, 2016 7:51 AM

Apr 2015
GesuYarou said:
tsudecimo said:
Overrated:

Kill la Kill
Not quite as liked now as it was when it was first aired. For what it's worth it improved my impression of TTGL. I think TTGL's story doesn't get enough credit.

review

Mainly a better pacing would have made it a lot more enjoyable. I think 13 episodes would have a been a better choice.

I get why some people would be confused as to when to take this show seriously and when to not. But to me it's pretty clear; this show is pretty damn dark & serious, but its messages are conveyed in a very non-serious way. It's actually a mixture of both. Some might find it awkward and confusing, some might actually find it refreshing.

The reason as to why I find Kill la Kill underrated is because not everyone can understand Imaishis work. He always has some kind of symbolism going with it underneath his over the top comedy and off the wall action sequences..

Now I'm not accusing you for not noticing this or anything but here's what I said to merryfistmas in a profile comment:

I would say something about your opinion on NHK as well but it's quite clear that you saw everything there was to it and simply just didn't enjoy it.
That's okay I guess..

Agreed. I even have wrote my 1000+ words of thoughts about KLK right after finishing it. It's so underrated.
Apr 26, 2016 7:57 AM
Apr 2016
This thread seems interesting, I'm not really a person who goes on any foum and be like ÚHHH THATS TOO OVERRATED noooo, but if i have to say one i'd say.... Shingeki no kyojin, It was one anime that I dropped because all my friends bothered me with it.. 'uhhh bro did ya see ep where this or that happened, thats my reasoning.
Apr 26, 2016 7:59 AM

Nov 2015
You said:
GesuYarou said:

That's okay I guess..

Agreed. I even have wrote my 1000+ words of thoughts about KLK right after finishing it. It's so underrated.

Can you put it up somewhere?
I like collecting other peoples opinions because I learn something new each time someone tells me their interpretation of it.

I'm actually really thinking of opening up a club of Imaishifags once I'm done with my finals :3
Apr 26, 2016 8:01 AM

Apr 2015
GesuYarou said:
You said:

I like collecting other peoples opinions because I learn something new each time someone tells me their interpretation of it.

I'm actually really thinking of opening up a club of Imaishifags once I'm done with my finals :3

I put it on this app so that more people can read my stuffs since theres bunch of weebs there XD
Apr 26, 2016 8:04 AM

Oct 2014
Kuma said:
zombie_pegasus said:
As for other anime, I believe that Glasslip and Akira are of a similar quality. They both rely on art and have little story to talk about. Their characters are bland and don't develop. One thing that Glasslip did much better than Akira is character designs as all of the characters in Akira look the same with the exception of the aliens which look the same as each other. Akira acts like a dementia anime tricking you into thinking that there is a plot that you just don't understand while Glasslip gets you to think that it's a romcom and the story simply hasn't started yet no matter how far you are into it, both of which are equally evil. In my opinion these should have around the same rating but somehow Akira is praised and even said to be a "must watch anime" while Glasslip is treated like a piece of trash that should only be watch ironically. Glasslip may actually be the better of the two.
did you just what?
i would agreed that akira is overrated if we talking about story.. but saying it visual quality is same like glasslip is kinda illogical. glasslip only has stunning clear art style and that's it. it doesn't reallyt have sakuga or something, i feel the animation even kinda lazy at times which has no speciality at times it made... compare to akira, it has soo much detail art style and soo many sakuga animation that overstandout in their era.. it's pinnacle of animation in their respective era when glasslip has nothing to offer... sure you can't expect much in story... it's cramping 4 volume from original source that rarely make sanse to begin with... not like saying original source is supperior. the ending is just pure asspull that come out outa nowhere.... but glasslip is original shows thats has no excuse incocistency plot and unclear ending because it's supposed to designed in a cour shows...
Even if some of the animation is more fluid than average, the fact that you can't tell which character is in a scene until someone refers to them by name is a huge flaw that even anime like Inferno Cop do better. With anime like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 the characters pretty much all have the same hair colour, but the anime are slower and their faces are drawn differently so you can tell each character apart. Since Akira is an action anime they don't have time to show every detail to tell the viewer which person is onscreen so the audience just has to guess until someone in the anime mentions their name.

I prefer Slice of Life anime anyway so the little action anime I've seen have all been well animated. Even if it was "ahead of it's time" or something like that, that doesn't automatically make it good. There are plenty of older American films that are still masterpieces by today's definition so there's no reason to give slack just because something is old.
Apr 26, 2016 8:09 AM

Mar 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
Kuma said:
did you just what?
i would agreed that akira is overrated if we talking about story.. but saying it visual quality is same like glasslip is kinda illogical. glasslip only has stunning clear art style and that's it. it doesn't reallyt have sakuga or something, i feel the animation even kinda lazy at times which has no speciality at times it made... compare to akira, it has soo much detail art style and soo many sakuga animation that overstandout in their era.. it's pinnacle of animation in their respective era when glasslip has nothing to offer... sure you can't expect much in story... it's cramping 4 volume from original source that rarely make sanse to begin with... not like saying original source is supperior. the ending is just pure asspull that come out outa nowhere.... but glasslip is original shows thats has no excuse incocistency plot and unclear ending because it's supposed to designed in a cour shows...
Even if some of the animation is more fluid than average, the fact that you can't tell which character is in a scene until someone refers to them by name is a huge flaw that even anime like Inferno Cop do better. With anime like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 the characters pretty much all have the same hair colour, but the anime are slower and their faces are drawn differently so you can tell each character apart. Since Akira is an action anime they don't have time to show every detail to tell the viewer which person is onscreen so the audience just has to guess until someone in the anime mentions their name.

I prefer Slice of Life anime anyway so the little action anime I've seen have all been well animated. Even if it was "ahead of it's time" or something like that, that doesn't automatically make it good. There are plenty of older American films that are still masterpieces by today's definition so there's no reason to give slack just because something is old.
yes, i would said akira have no redeeming quality other than visual, but it has excuse why it's popular... when glasslip has no excuse for it at all... it's just get speciality by time... not like i care that much about akira cultiness in western...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 26, 2016 8:10 AM

Nov 2013
You said:
GesuYarou said:

I put it on this app so that more people can read my stuffs since theres bunch of weebs there XD

What I like about KLK is the fact that, even if you don't care about all its historical parallels and commentary (and I don't), you can still follow the story and you don't feel like you've missed out on anything.
It's a layered narrative that you can enjoy on multiple levels, and even though I only cared about the aesthetics and the characters, it was still fun to read about its references and hidden layers... although some of those interpretations can get a bit far-fetched XD
Apr 26, 2016 8:10 AM

Aug 2015
Kill la kill isn't a bad series but that artstyle kills me :/

As usual, I would go say that Charlotte is way too underrated despite having nice visuals , OST and fast paced story and nice comedy. But I doubt if other people will agree.
Apr 26, 2016 8:14 AM

Jan 2016
Gatchaman Crowds and its sequel, Insight may be the most underrated anime out there. It's a show about superheroes in the digital age which tackles various themes... such as: importance of heroism, individualism vs collectivism and how those affects society at large in an era where everyone is connected via technology. And it does tackle it well.
Apr 26, 2016 8:21 AM

Jul 2015
Lollo36 said:
You said:

What I like about KLK is the fact that, even if you don't care about all its historical parallels and commentary (and I don't), you can still follow the story and you don't feel like you've missed out on anything.
It's a layered narrative that you can enjoy on multiple levels, and even though I only cared about the aesthetics and the characters, it was still fun to read about its references and hidden layers... although some of those interpretations can get a bit far-fetched XD

Hey guys I like where this discussion is going. Can I join the circle jerk too? Because Lollo36 nailed it perfectly: KlK ultimately leaves the choice to the viewer. You can totally watch it for the boobs and battles and miss everything the show has to say on society and IT'S FINE. The show isn't going to throw 2 episodes of mindfuck and a penguin clapping, or a trollish OP ("And you don't seem to understaaaaaand"...) at you. Because it's main goal is to entertain you.
Apr 26, 2016 8:24 AM

Nov 2015
You said:
GesuYarou said:

Ah....
Family backgrounds; Seems like I walked right past that as well..
It's crazy how there's just so much to this series it's hard to spot them. Kinda like real life.
It's like you may see a girl like Ryuko somewhere around your neighborhood but you'd have no idea that she's from a pretty shitty family background. It's something you'd have to figure it out on your own.
Shit's so open ended there's no way you'd figure out everything that Imaishi meant klk to be.There's just so much depth to every single thing in this show..
Apr 26, 2016 8:25 AM

Aug 2014
Z-Dante said:
Kill la kill isn't a bad series but that artstyle kills me :/

As usual, I would go say that Charlotte is way too underrated despite having nice visuals , OST and fast paced story and nice comedy. But I doubt if other people will agree.
Nice visuals and OST can only do so much, characters are far more important and the story is pretty bad, so ehh not really.
Apr 26, 2016 8:27 AM

Nov 2015
Clebardman said:
Lollo36 said:

Hey guys I like where this discussion is going. Can I join the circle jerk too? Because Lollo36 nailed it perfectly: KlK ultimately leaves the choice to the viewer. You can totally watch it for the boobs and battles and miss everything the show has to say on society and IT'S FINE. The show isn't going to throw 2 episodes of mindfuck and a penguin clapping, or a trollish OP ("And you don't seem to understaaaaaand"...) at you. Because it's main goal is to entertain you.

Oh yeah totally.
The show seems to know exactly what its doing.
It's end goal is to entertain. Exploring or touching society in depth & social commentary is secondary.

lol this turned into a huge circle-jerk.
It all started off as an overrated/underrated thread..

@Tyrel, does this count as spam? If so then just inform me before removing it so that I can archive this little conversation we're having..
Gesu-Apr 26, 2016 8:33 AM
Apr 26, 2016 8:32 AM

Apr 2014
@tsudecimo
I agree on Kill la Kill being overrated. Because the character design, animation and it's plot was so bad and a lot of people still likes it.
Well it's Triggers first anime so I presume they didn't have much budget that's why it looks terrible.
But on Boku no Hero Academia being underrated? It was been added by over 100,000 MAL users, and only 19,000+ had scored it.
So it's too early to take that score seriously. It's just almost 20% and 80% was undecided.
Haters always gonna hate.
Apr 26, 2016 8:38 AM

Jan 2014
Overated:

Gotta be Lucky Star imo, everyone who praises it and says it gets better after the first episode are liars and just wanna watch you suffer. every episode puts me to sleep. the characters are generic moe girls and they aren't even cute. the animation is so ugly my dog could draw better and the "comedy" omg don't even get me started on the "comedy". Ive never watched a show where i didn't chuckle or laugh or even smile at a joke at least once. to me there was never a funny moment in the show. I feel like the only reason people like it is because they can "relate" to the characters i guess? tho I can't relate to them, maybe it's because im not weird or autistic idk.

Underrated:
Hataraku Maou-sama! has got to be one of the funniest shows ive ever seen. the jokes are good, characters are humorous and even the plot was pretty decent tho I mainly stayed for the laughs. the main character was awesome and I liked how he developed as a character and wanted to live as a human and work for a living rather than being Satan. I mean come on, Satan wanting to be a fast food cook? how is that not funny!? come on people!
Apr 26, 2016 8:50 AM

Aug 2015
geralt said:
Garo's so underrated it's basically a crime.
I haven't even heard about that anime ( sure is off the charts >.< )

BTW , Why do you think it's underrated?
Apr 26, 2016 9:03 AM

Dec 2013
Underrated (Or more appropriately, underwatched?):

Tales of the Street Corner - Tezuka's 1962 short preceded his more popular and acclaimed Pictures at an Exhibition, if I'm not mistaken. For a thirty-some minute, somewhat experimental piece featuring a jack-in-the-box, a caveman, and singing dentures, it's a remarkable how this little microcosm/corner gets more and more engrossing as each picture comes to life - all the way to its frightening end.
Apr 26, 2016 9:05 AM

Apr 2013
Z-Dante said:
geralt said:
Garo's so underrated it's basically a crime.
I haven't even heard about that anime ( sure is off the charts >.< )

BTW , Why do you think it's underrated?
I wrote my thoughts on it not too long ago so I'm just gonna copy paste it.

While at a first glance this may look like a poor man's Berserk, it was actually much more than that. The story was very predictable, yes. Same can be said about the character development that Leon, the mc, underwent (which shared some nods with Thorfinn's from Vinland Saga). None of this ever bothered me, though, as even with no fresh ideas the story excited me thanks to the interesting main cast of characters and the unexpected maturity of some of the events. My major gripes with Garo is that it had a not so small number of episodes which contributed little to either the story or the worldbuilding and I was also kind of annoyed by the poor production values at times. Still, none of this prevented me from being fully immersed in a story that felt complete, which is so rare in anime nowadays. It totally deserves more recognition.
geraltApr 26, 2016 9:32 AM
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 26, 2016 9:22 AM

Oct 2013
Underrated

Bartender - a better version of Death Parade, deals with people's problems, realistic and truly calming piece.

Texhnolyze - this blew my mind, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it was only 7.8/10 on MAL, it's literally one of the best anime ever made [my subjective opinion]. Would say it's more of an art than anime, you have to dig a bit deeper to understand it, tho it sure pays off as it gives you some mind-blowing ideas about life.

Saraiya Goyou - every Mushishi fan should check this out, it's so relaxing and peaceful even though the main story is about a family kidnapping / murdering people on requests. Beautiful soundtrack and visuals too.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu - you may think what ? it's rated 9+ on MAL, how is it underrated ? Well, if I recall correctly, MAL only takes ratings in consideration from those who've seen 20%(maybe?) of the anime, so most people who don't like it at the start, drop it and their score doesn't count in the total rating. So why is it good? It's probably the best piece of story ever created in manga/novel/anime industry, maintaining the story so well written and deep throughout 110 episodes is an insanely hard task and somehow LotGH succeds at it. Even if you don't really like this anime, you should definitely watch it anyway just to understand how much a story can be appreciated, it will help you appreciate little details and the story of other anime way more.
Apr 26, 2016 9:57 AM

Aug 2014
Iczer-1 is underrated. It has the best of everything: lesbians, Hirano character designs, aliens, Obari mecha redesigns (after ep 1), 80s music, obligatory gore and nudity, lightsaber duels, and lesbian aliens. Plot is serviceable, but who watches anime for story?? Please watch.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 26, 2016 9:58 AM

Jun 2012
I found the first season of Fate/Zero to be almost comically overrated.
Its problems ranges from small things like (initially) confusingly similar characters who look almost like each other and sound nearly the same (Kirei and uhm... well, very uncharacteristically of me I can't even remember the names of most characters after having watched both seasons - and while it might be due to bias to some extent, this is also due one of the problems: they don't really get you to care about the characters (or, well, after 20 or so episodes I guess I cared a little)). Well, there I already touched upon both minor and major aspects of its downsides but I shall expound.

I didn't care about the characters and why should I? Nothing in the presentation makes you care about them. It takes until the next season before there is anything interesting going on of that sort. Ironically, the best episodes (by far) are deemed filler and as we return to the main plot I find myself nearly yawning. "This person wants the grail, but why? Ooh, stay tuned to find out!" Uhm, no, that's not enough to pique my interest through episode after episode of nothing happening except the occasional fight that in no way even progresses the narrative. The grail is uninteresting, which could've been irrelevant but as a macguffin it doesn't work well, because all the character exploration in regards to the quest for it... there is very little of interest going on there. The whole show feels like the macguffin isn't a macguffin but should actually be something of interest.

By the conclusion (second half of 2nd season) we do indeed start stumble upon some interesting thoughts about the nature of wishes, but it's hardly enough to compensate for all the hours invested. Don't get me wrong, I love dialogue oriented stories and exploration of philosophical ideas but here we get boring dialogue and unrelatable characters whose motivations I almost couldn't care less about. One of my initial reactions to this show was that it felt like a shounen anime draped in a (relatively) adult atmosphere (sprinkled with heavy doses of "this feels like a video game") and graphic style. Retrospectively, I feel that it is not as puerile as I first thought, and I even enjoyed the second season, but a lot of its lauded qualities certainly are, imho, of a kind that probably work best for 15-year-old boys. Not to hate on shounen anime or whatever, I mean to each their own, but in the case of F/Z, which seems to carry itself as dark and mature or whatever it felt more like a miss of the kind that makes me think that it is *gasp* pretentious.

Also, while the art and production value is pretty good, a lot of it is tacky and overall, I guess it's simply not my style at all. The CGI is well done but, as with nearly all CGI, looks wrong to me. The colors are too primary-heavy (I can hear some of you sighing, thinking I go way too far, but to put it simply: it doesn't appeal to me aesthetically) and there is too strong a discrepancy in style (realistic-ish proportions on men's faces in general, while the women and girls have almost moe proportions in contrast, looks like mixing up two unrelated shows - this might help exaggerate the problematic similarities between some of the male characters).

Unrelatedly, apropos Kill La Kill which people are complaning about here I just wanna throw in that I think its art is way, way more appealing than that of F/Z. There is nothing bad, imo, about a more 2D-ish looking artstyle.
I also think people might be taking Kill La Kill too seriously. Yes, it has meaning and depth, symbolism etc. but that doesn't change that it's obviously supposed to be a fun show, which I think it excels at. Incidentally, this remind me of TTGL, which I found to be quite overrated. Initially, it was great in the same way as KLK, but after a few episodes nothing new kept feeding that 'absurdness' and it started to feel less like a parody - then it got quite boring but concluded fairly well.
AburadakoApr 26, 2016 10:09 AM
Apr 26, 2016 10:03 AM

Mar 2014
Kidemonas said:
I found the first season of Fate/Zero to be almost comically overrated.
Its problems ranges from small things like (initially) confusingly similar characters who look almost like each other and sound nearly the same (Kirei and uhm... well, very uncharacteristically of me I can't even remember the names of most characters after having watched both seasons - and while it might be due to bias to some extent, this is also due one of the problems: they don't really get you to care about the characters (or, well, after 20 or so episodes I guess I cared a little)). Well, there I already touched upon both minor and major aspects of its downsides but I shall expound.

I didn't care about the characters and why should I? Nothing in the presentation makes you care about them. It takes until the next season before there is anything interesting going on of that sort. Ironically, the best episodes (by far) are deemed filler and as we return to the main plot I find myself nearly yawning. "This person wants the grail, but why? Ooh, stay tuned to find out!" Uhm, no, that's not enough to pique my interest through episode after episode of nothing happening except the occasional fight that in no way even progresses the narrative. The grail is uninteresting, which could've been irrelevant but as a macguffin it doesn't work well, because all the character exploration in regards to the quest for it... there is very little of interest going on there. The whole show feels like the macguffin isn't a macguffin but should actually be something of interest.

By the conclusion (second half of 2nd season) we do indeed start stumble upon some interesting thoughts about the nature of wishes, but it's hardly enough to compensate for all the hours invested. Don't get me wrong, I love dialogue oriented stories and exploration of philosophical ideas but here we get boring dialogue and unrelatable characters whose motivations I almost couldn't care less about. One of my initial reactions to this show was that it felt like a shounen anime draped in a (relatively) adult atmosphere (sprinkled with heavy doses of "this feels like a video game") and graphic style. Retrospectively, I feel that it is not as puerile as I first thought, and I even enjoyed the second season, but a lot of its lauded qualities certainly are, imho, of a kind that probably work best for 15-year-old boys. Not to hate on shounen anime or whatever, I mean to each their own, but in the case of F/Z, which seems to carry itself as dark and mature or whatever it felt more like a miss of the kind that makes me think that it is *gasp* pretentious.

Also, while the art and production value is pretty good, a lot of it is tacky and overall, I guess it's simply not my style at all. The CGI is well done but, as with nearly all CGI, looks wrong to me. The colors are too primary-heavy (I can hear some of you sighing, thinking I go way too far, but to put it simply: it doesn't appeal to me aesthetically) and there is too strong a discrepancy in style (realistic-ish proportions on men's faces in general, while the women and girls have almost moe proportions in contrast, looks like mixing up two unrelated shows - this might help exaggerate the problematic similarities between some of the male characters).
THIS

Apart from Kirei, Waver + Rider and maybe Illya I either didn't care about or disliked the rest of the characters

I wanted to punch that fuckface Kiritsugu multiple times throughout the show

Fate/Stay Night UBW > Fate/Zero S1 (I haven't watched S2 yet)
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 26, 2016 10:16 AM

Jun 2012
Comic_Sans said:

Apart from Kirei, Waver + Rider and maybe Illya I either didn't care about or disliked the rest of the characters

I wanted to punch that fuckface Kiritsugu multiple times throughout the show

Haha, I also disliked Kiritsugu (that was the name I was trying to remember, thanks) and found Waver and Rider to be somewhat enjoyable to watch (a comedy starring those two would probably have been more interesting).
Apr 26, 2016 10:16 AM

Apr 2015
Arse said:
Underrated

Bartender - a better version of Death Parade, deals with people's problems, realistic and truly calming piece.

Texhnolyze - this blew my mind, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it was only 7.8/10 on MAL, it's literally one of the best anime ever made [my subjective opinion]. Would say it's more of an art than anime, you have to dig a bit deeper to understand it, tho it sure pays off as it gives you some mind-blowing ideas about life.

Saraiya Goyou - every Mushishi fan should check this out, it's so relaxing and peaceful even though the main story is about a family kidnapping / murdering people on requests. Beautiful soundtrack and visuals too.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu - you may think what ? it's rated 9+ on MAL, how is it underrated ? Well, if I recall correctly, MAL only takes ratings in consideration from those who've seen 20%(maybe?) of the anime, so most people who don't like it at the start, drop it and their score doesn't count in the total rating. So why is it good? It's probably the best piece of story ever created in manga/novel/anime industry, maintaining the story so well written and deep throughout 110 episodes is an insanely hard task and somehow LotGH succeds at it. Even if you don't really like this anime, you should definitely watch it anyway just to understand how much a story can be appreciated, it will help you appreciate little details and the story of other anime way more.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu is a poor mans RoTK bruh, but I like the topic they tackled nontheless so I dare myself to give this series 9/10.
Apr 26, 2016 10:28 AM

Dec 2013
Arse said:
Underrated

I couldn't agree more with both of these, especially the first. It was "art" done right, in a directoral style that transcends almost everything else in the medum. The theatre clip, with Blue Darkness playing in the background (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=994OnlTR-oc), is one of the most compelling scenes in anime imo. You should check out Fuujin Monogatari too, as I have a feeling you'd like it.
DouluoApr 26, 2016 10:32 AM
Apr 26, 2016 10:31 AM

Sep 2011
Thread Cleaned

Cleaned until here. No Manga/VN talk. Keep it solely to the anime.
Apr 26, 2016 10:45 AM

Mar 2008
You said:
Arse said:

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu is a poor mans RoTK bruh, but I like the topic they tackled nontheless so I dare myself to give this series 9/10.

I dunno, the similarities are obviously incredibly strong, but for straight viewing, LoGH gains a lot from its more complex modernised political setting and more streamlined cast.

While RoTK benefits from its iconicism and basis in real history, I think it's somewhat more simplistic in its theatrical great-men-centric epic side, and the peppering of mystical feats and parable episodes are also somewhat disjointed.

LoGH's sprawling fictional history gives it a much clearer tone and grander meaning where the warlord squabbling of the Three Kingdoms shackles it down with its dated preoccupations with ceremony, filial piety, and boastful heroics. While LoGH makes some effort to explore wider society, RoTK's limited by its focus on the nobility and military classes. While RoTK references iconic historical events and figures, it does this as an invocation of authority and tradition rather than as a more interesting lesson of society.

(Admittedly, I haven't seen the Sangokushi anime yet, so this comparison is off the manga & novel against LoGH's anime.)
CkanApr 26, 2016 10:48 AM
Apr 26, 2016 11:00 AM

Dec 2015
Orion_Gospel said:
Although i'm a fan, i would say One Piece is an overrated anime.

- Bad animation
- Very slow pacing
- Stupid filler scenes
- Sometimes cannon events are different from the manga
- It takes like 4-5 minutes to actually start watching the episode

Also, because it takes to long for the story to go on, people are getting bored, and they're not impressed anymore. Plus, many times, One Piece follows the exact same motive.
- Go to an island, which is ruled by a bad guy.
- Befriend with at least one girl and her family/friends
- Seperate the Straw hats, to even at different islands.
- Luffy wins with a nice finishing move, and he screams somethig like "Don't touch my nakama"
- Happy ending for a moment
- Show something "bad" which happened/is going to happen in some other island
- Hype
- Next arc

I love one piece too, but I couldn't agree with you more.

The same goes for Fairy Tail. I love Fairy Tail, but I do think it is overrated. Once we got into the fairy tail 2014 series the story got a lot better, but the fights are a bunch of ass-pulls usually (wait til we get in to the next arc... OMG it makes me want to scream with the amount of ass-pulls there are EVERY SINGLE BATTLE!!!!). It always comes down to there's this strong opponent that they can't beat, but by some sort of miracle of nakama power they beat the hell out of the enemy when we all know if they didn't have plot armor as thick as Gajeel's iron then they would get their ass beat and die. I do stand by that the overarching story is still great though.
Apr 26, 2016 11:03 AM

Apr 2015
Ckan said:
You said:

I dunno, the similarities are obviously incredibly strong, but for straight viewing, LoGH gains a lot from its more complex modernised political setting and more streamlined cast.

While RoTK benefits from its iconicism and basis in real history, I think it's somewhat more simplistic in its theatrical great-men-centric epic side, and the peppering of mystical feats and parable episodes are also somewhat disjointed.

LoGH's sprawling fictional history gives it a much clearer tone and grander meaning where the warlord squabbling of the Three Kingdoms shackles it down with its dated preoccupations with ceremony, filial piety, and boastful heroics. While LoGH makes some effort to explore wider society, RoTK's limited by its focus on the nobility and military classes.

(Admittedly though, I haven't seen the Sangokushi anime yet.)

YouApr 26, 2016 11:06 AM
Apr 26, 2016 11:13 AM

Jun 2015
Underrated -

Myriad Colors Phantom World. I don't get the hate. I really don't. The characters are fun to watch and the battles are thrilling. It's full of energy, style, and top-notch animation to keep you on your toes. Sure, there were a couple episodes I found to be lacking, such as 7 and 10, but the show was worthwhile overall. Honestly, what were people expecting from it?
Apr 26, 2016 11:22 AM

Jan 2016
AltoRoark said:

Honestly, what were people expecting from it?

It's more of the fact that it's done by Kyoto Animation(they're known for excellent use of cinematography to convey everyday life which the show is honestly lacking)... and that it's their *weakest* work in existence.

Though, don't get me wrong... I also think the hate is unjustified(when it comes to *fanservice* complaints) but it's still the weakest KyoAni show.
Apr 26, 2016 11:24 AM

Apr 2012
I would have liked "Xam'd Lost Memories" to be more popular. Compared to other anime that try to portray war and disease, I think it does a pretty well done job. I think the art looks beautiful and the imperfect characters are very memorable.

Hourou Musuko portrays something that rather often appears in anime and manga - crossdressing, in a different manner than usual. It's serious, and I think it gives a nice "coming of age" vibe as personalities take shape.
On a similar note, there's Kuragehime, which also shows different, more serious sides of crossdressing, but the characters don't come into shape in the same manner as Hourou Musuko.

Kekkaishi may be the Japanese-mythology plot I like the most. It's hard to point my finger on something specific beyond the creative powers the characters wield.

As for music anime,
I think Your Lie in April is somewhat overrated.. The score was nice, but the drama felt short very quickly. Death is a traumatic experience, but it was shoved into my face over and over. So is it about "Child Prodigy Losing It" or "Unexpected Duo Bringing New Light To Music"? Confusing.
Sakamichi no Apollon provides a door to music in a better executed manner, with amazing art and fleshed out characters to boot. So it pains me to see Sakamichi no Apollon not reaching far and wide in a similar manner to Your Lie in April.

There's one last thing that I'm not sure what to say about...
Interstella 5555. I can't really call it underrated, but I don't think it's appreciated as anime enough. For an anime with a plot delivered solely by the animation and the tone of the music, I think it's a very refreshing experience. More touching than most regular anime for sure.

俺とお前との違いが何だ?!
Apr 26, 2016 11:36 AM

Jun 2015
@CapitalistGod The weakest? I dunno, man. I enjoyed it lot more than I'm enjoying Clannad right now.
Apr 26, 2016 11:42 AM

Jan 2016
@AltoRoark Well, the first season of Clannad(even though, it's your typical VN adaptation) still maintains that KyoAni touch. Though, this video explains this KyoAni charm more than I'll ever do...haha

Phantom World lacks this aspect.

Though, it's up to every person to like this stuff..
Apr 26, 2016 11:43 AM

Apr 2011
Oh, I'm gonna get so much shit for this: Hotaru no Haka, or Grave of the Fireflies, is massively overrated. Going into this movie, I was expecting a sad story about two kids trying to survive during the times of war.... at least, that's what just about everyone who saw it was talking about. Then I watched it and I saw a movie about a brat slowly killing his sister out of sheer selfishness and this is somehow supposed to be sad.
Apr 26, 2016 11:44 AM

Oct 2015
OVERRATED for me would be Angel Beats
i guess i shouldnt call it that but i feel the anime was " Incomplete "
UNDERRATED for me would be kekkai sensen and Arsalan Senki
both had very good story , as for kekkai sensen it had epic comedy and action , i just loved it !
Apr 26, 2016 11:46 AM

Apr 2014
~overrated~
haikyuu: even tho i enjoyed it, seeing people claim it's the best sports anime just hurts. it's gud up to a point. the characters are all well-developed yes, but it eventually comes down to the hinata/kageyama combo. also -most- of the girls are useless and while i gotta admit that i liked some of them, i'm tired of the "girl shows up, says something thoughtful and leaves" cliché.

~underrated~
beck: incredibly underrated music anime with actual interesting characters. although it's mostly from koyuki's perspective and the start is kind of slow. and the lucille subplot was boring but otherwise it's a really likeable show.
Apr 26, 2016 11:49 AM

Oct 2014
Taisho Yakyuu Musume is extremely underrated and underwatched. It's a cute sports anime that deals with the original definition of feminism. The ending isn't completely satisfactory, but it's more realistic that way.

Code Geass 2 is overrated. The first season was interesting seeing the different powers at work, but the second season was more about upgrading their mechs and destroying each other with brute force rather than strategy.
Apr 26, 2016 11:50 AM

Aug 2015
AltoRoark said:
Underrated -

Myriad Colors Phantom World. I don't get the hate. I really don't. The characters are fun to watch and the battles are thrilling. It's full of energy, style, and top-notch animation to keep you on your toes. Sure, there were a couple episodes I found to be lacking, such as 7 and 10, but the show was worthwhile overall. Honestly, what were people expecting from it?
Episode 3-10 were totally useless and really went nowhere. And we were expecting some actual story instead of just SoL type development. That's why everyone is disappointed at KyoAnus.

And Tbh, the MC got the least amount of development in these first 10 episodes. That's why everyone ( including me ) is kinda pissed at the show.

The ending saved the show for me. If it wasn't good, this show would've gotten a 5 instead of 7 from me.
( and anything above 7 is kinda good and watchable by MAL standard )
Apr 26, 2016 11:59 AM

Feb 2015
2 Overrated anime come to mind

Haruhi Suzumiya is basically about a selfish, whiny, spoiled girl getting to do whatever she wanted without anyone stopping her. It was extremely boring as well
I liked the movie tho probably cuz she wasn't really in it

In 5 CM per second the characters were extremely unlikable and i didnt really "feel" for them because i think they could've solved their problems rather easily instead they just felt sorry for themselves.

Underrated anime

Working- it got 3 seasons but i feel like no one talks about it and it has a conclusive ending. Good comedy and most characters are very likeable, some misunderstandings can get annoying but i enjoyed it

Kawai complex- i thought it was very charming despite its extremely slow pace but then again those don't really bother me.
Apr 26, 2016 12:04 PM

Oct 2015
Overrated:
.Neon Genesis Evangelion - Admittedly I really need to rewatch this because it was one of the first anime I've watched, and I do think that it is good. Additionally I won't deny the influence NGE has had on the industry, but NGE feels more like just an exploration of the depression Hideaki Anno was feeling at the time of directing NGE than anything else. Additionally, it doesn't matter how 4888481deep498481884me the symbolism was, the ending was a mess and was clearly only done because the studio ran out of money.

.One Punch Man - I shouldn't have to explain this one too much. Fairly standard battle shounen being pushed up to stupidly high popularity/ratings because of a slightly zany premise (that is executed in a way that is not nearly as satirical as it should be. It takes itself way too seriously compared to the original web manga from ONE).

.Yojohan Shinwa Taikei (The Tatami Galaxy) - This one will get a lot of people here to disagree with me. I explained a lot of my thoughts in my review that I will shamelessly plug here. In short, I thought that The Tatami Galaxy was a charming anime with genuine artistic merit but is limited by odd pacing and a style of writing that feels like it lacks confidence in its audience.

.FLCL - I understand that this was a styilistic experiment for Production I.G that led to some anime that I really, really enjoy like Gurren Lagann, but I just don't see the appeal at all here. The characters were annoying to me, the humour didn't make me laugh and just everything about its presentation felt obnoxious (and yes, I did get the 3919481888deep48284828428me coming of age symbolism, as if all the phallic imagery didn't make it obvious enough).

.K-on! - So that I'm not biased, I'll put a SoL in my list of "overrated" anime too. I honestly think that K-on! is the weakest of all of the SoL series that I've seen so far, the character cast didn't appeal to me, the school setting/pacing is formulaic as all hell and it just doesn't feel very heartwarming/comfy. I think the fact that so many people are recommended to watch k-on! as their first SoL anime is genuinely what makes people hate this genre, they assume that it is all like K-on so they never see the more original entries in this actually-diverse genre.

Underrated:

.Hidamari Sketch - I think Shaft's style of visual presentation works very well for SoL anime, and the characters are charming with writing that feels down-to-earth and natural. More SoL fans should try this one out.

.Jin-Roh/Rou - Not really "underrated" as most people who have seen it loved it, but more underexposed. The drama and evocative visual style make this one a stand-out 90's anime title for me.

.Joshiraku - I may be biased here because as of writing this I have literally only just finished watching this, but this is really the funniest thing to have come out of Japan for me. The style of humour is refreshing and satirical, and done in a way that doesn't feel convoluted/formulaic like other japanese comedies. Although the jokes take a long time to build up, this makes the punchline all the more funny. It also has a good amount of cute girls doing cute things and the intermission sections where the girls go around different districts of Tokyo are educational, comfy and provide good pacing for the comedy. All in all the comedy/satirical aspect should make Joshiraku have appeal even to those who don't like moe.
LobindeApr 26, 2016 12:14 PM
Apr 26, 2016 12:23 PM

Mar 2016
Overrated

Boku dake ga inai machi the show is average at best, there were many plot holes and most of them are discussed in review section so I won't discuss that. And the 2nd half was not good for manga fans like me. I knew after watching 11th episode that Airi is gonna pop up in ep12 from nowhere and that's exactly what happened. Not saying it's bad but how they cut her story in anime wasn't cool.

One punch man comedy is good, parody good but everything else is mediocre. Art is not so great infact I felt like I was watching an anime of 2005 rather then 2015, Story is repitative. Nothing new except that he can one punch everyone. I don't get why it's so high on ratings. I mean if it's cause of comedy I am pretty sure there are comedies as good or even better then OPM out there but they are not rated as high.

Can't think of any underrated atm.
Apr 26, 2016 12:23 PM

Apr 2012
Lobinde said:

Joshiraku

Amazingly funny and completely unknown! It's filled with inside jokes, both JC staff's as well as many others, and common humor that works well. I don't really think I'll ever enjoy rakugo but at least this series opened a small window to that world.

俺とお前との違いが何だ?!
Apr 26, 2016 12:25 PM
Apr 2016
FLCL was overrated. I disliked the story, the animation and the characters. It has a weird, disorientating Oliver Stone quality to it. I can't understand why people speak so highly about it.
Apr 26, 2016 12:27 PM

Mar 2016
Lobinde said:
Overrated:

.FLCL - I understand that this was a styilistic experiment for Production I.G that led to some anime that I really, really enjoy like Gurren Lagann, but I just don't see the appeal at all here. The characters were annoying to me, the humour didn't make me laugh and just everything about its presentation felt obnoxious (and yes, I did get the 3919481888deep48284828428me coming of age symbolism, as if all the phallic imagery didn't make it obvious enough).

I agree with whatever you said, I thought of adding it to overrated as well along with bakemonogatari but left it thinking that it's just me who don't like this type of art style and animation.
Apr 26, 2016 12:27 PM

Jun 2015
Overrated: Chivalry of a failed knight

. Horrible romance that came down to Stella wanting the mc's D
. Terrible character development, we had the mc's stupid daddy issues and everyone else was irrelavant
. Unoriginal characters
. Stella- Ultimate tsundere trash with no development, follows the archtype as closely as possible, used for as much fanservice as possible
. terrible fanservice that was borderline hentai at times
. terrible logic, explained mechanics of fights poorly and it felt like they were making random shit up to seem cool
. plot armor, extreme plot armor for the mc, no tension whatsoever
. forcing in taboos for fun, i dont mind incest or transgender but Alice and Shizuku was for that reason only, just to service the people that like those things
. overdramatic, the problems of the characters were so stupid that everything felt overdramatic, black and white animation looked cool but would have really been cool in some other anime while it makes a scene more overdramatic here
. the ending, not gonna spoil but if you watched it should be obvious
. barely a story, no depth or originality at all, just bland fights and stupid daddy issues
. awful transitions, skips so many fights making transitions feel awkward
. antagonist type characters are pathetic, you have generic bully who is somehow popular, criminals who can get away with everything no matter how blatantly obvious there crimes are, and shitty parents
. poor world building, there was like no world building which makes everything in the anime feel dumb, everything was made up on spot because there was no information that gave this world its mechanics, complete lack of consistancy with anything that happens in this world

There are probably many things i missed on why this anime is terrible but oh well.

Underrated: Chaos Dragon

. unique concept
. great character development, Ibuki is a weak mc which lets his character grow. Eiha is a tragic character that wants to find a meaning and make her existance worth something, Swallow tries to overcome his dangerous power
. death isnt forced like in akame ga kill and isnt there for shock value, point is not to make you feel for a character but instead to understand the burden of the mc, and create an interesting scenario where each death was different and meant something different.
. great story, love stories that are much simpler than it appeared to be, yet you still would have never guessed it
. great world building, did a great job for 12 episodes, i can appreciate the world building because they only really needed to build the island country since that was the setting
. cool art and great animation, no complaints here, visually great
. great themes, really interesting in the way that its able to create an actual concept over the value of bonds, taking a literal form, for example, a bond can be worth a large number of civilian lives
. godlike op and ed
. unique storytelling
. great action scenes
. great ending
. realistic character interactions and motives, characters are young and immature, there actions are very reasonable in the context of the plot, like the mc will obviously will not make the best decisions because he is just a kid forced into the cruel situation that he is in
. good comedy, with Swallow

So as you can see i think chivalry is one of the worst anime ever made and chaos dragon deserves more attention as most problems in see in reviews of the anime are just pet peeves.
Grimgar season 2 please!!!!
Apr 26, 2016 12:31 PM

Oct 2015
MoonJump said:
Lobinde said:

Joshiraku

Amazingly funny and completely unknown! It's filled with inside jokes, both JC staff's as well as many others, and common humor that works well. I don't really think I'll ever enjoy rakugo but at least this series opened a small window to that world.

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who likes it so much. The mix of referential and more universal humour is certainly one of its stronger points. I can't say I understood all of the cultural references, but the political satire and such still had me laughing so much (Joshiraku really hates whoever the former Japanese prime-minister was lol).
Apr 26, 2016 12:36 PM

Jan 2013
Overrated: Literally anything by Kyoani past 2008. Despite having great approaches to animation, they tend to take the worst stories, worst characters, and try to improvise to create something that just comes off as forced. The end result is usually a polished, sloppy turd that ultimately leaves me feeling disappointed over the wasted budget on mediocre ideas. Painting the frames with heavy usage of special effects does not make a good anime. Noteworthy examples Kyoani's typical "style over substance" approach that went nowhere: Kyokai no Kanata, Hibike Euphonium, Hyouka.

Don't even get me started on the cancerous fanbase that seems to defend Kyoani tooth and nail over the most minute factual errors.
Pages (85) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

103 by mo_lave »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

66 by 8oomer »»
10 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

25 by Tropisch »»
12 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

41 by epidemia78 »»
17 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

33 by WatchTillTandava »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.