Forum Settings
Forums

Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5

New
Apr 26, 2016 1:46 AM

Sep 2011
This thread is the official "most overrated/underrated anime" discussion thread and contains all topics relating to it.

Please explain why you think an anime is overrated/underrated! No simple listing.

What should not be posted in this thead?
  • General discussion about anime that has nothing to do with the anime being overrated/underrated.
  • Discussing recent episodes; please use the episode discussion threads in the respective sub-boards.
  • Manga discussion; please use the manga sub-boards for this.
  • Simple listing posts or simple "x > y", "x vs. y" posts.
  • Chatting and other off-topic.
  • Simple picture posting.

This thread is moderated.
- NO trolling/baiting (e.g., "Your taste is shit").
- NO abuse (e.g., "You're retarded for liking that").
- NO harassment (including telling other users to ignore user X).
- NO spam (e.g. X Is over/underrated because of X, etc.) (see the Site & Forum Guidelines to see what else can constitute as spam as a whole)
- NO avoiding the minimum character limit.
- NO backseat modding. Please use the report links to report rule violations and let the moderators handle it.
- NO unspoilered key plot elements; please use spoiler tags.

Please note:
The past four threads took considerable amount of effort for the mods. We ask that everyone who sees rule breaking posts report these posts so they can be dealt with quickly before the situation gets worse. Do not reply to these posts. This will help keep the thread alive as well. Responding to these posts, like a lot of users did in the previous threads, just contributed to the downfall previously.
TyrelApr 26, 2016 2:07 AM
Pages (85) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2016 1:53 AM

Sep 2015
Surely all this sort of discussion would boil down to is "X I don't like is overrated, Y I do like is underrated"?

But I suppose I'll join in. Akatsuki no Yona is overrated. It's very typical and generic. Just seems like a somewhat inferior version of Arslan Senkki, although it thankfully doesn't have any awful CGI. Enjoyable and entertaining, but certainly not deserving of an 8+ score, IMO.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 26, 2016 1:58 AM

Sep 2011
-Maz said:
Surely all this sort of discussion would boil down to is "X I don't like is overrated, Y I do like is underrated"?

Those posts will be deleted. Those kinda posts generally give no explanations at all. Unless people elaborate on it instead of just going "X is overrated cuz I don't like it." (At least explain what you didn't like about the show).

Also, coming to this thread to ask why we decided to remake this thread is not the place to ask. Please private message me or Luna. This has been in discussion for some time now.
TyrelApr 26, 2016 2:04 AM
Apr 26, 2016 2:05 AM

Dec 2012
Overrated:

One Piece. Slow story progression, repetitive narrative and a sense of discontinuity in it due to some episodic arcs. I just had many issues with it. The main problem is I didn't feel like I was impressed with what's happening on screen, most of it felt very average to bad. It took until the 5th or so arc for something to make me feel ''that was good/interesting''

Later review

Kill la Kill
Not quite as liked now as it was when it was first aired. For what it's worth it improved my impression of TTGL. I think TTGL's story doesn't get enough credit.

review

Mainly a better pacing would have made it a lot more enjoyable. I think 13 episodes would have a been a better choice.

Welcome to the NHK.
I feel like the main praise this show gets is because of it's subject matter, not necessarily because how it handled it. And because many people related to the protagonist.

Wrote more on a review

RAINBOW ������人: This anime severely disappointed me I was so happy while watching it thinking I am gonna have a new favorite anime but nope it drastically went down hill after ep 11, the main character suddenly became an illogical idiot and then the second part of the anime happened where there is no plot and the main villain of the first part get handled pretty easily and then they move to character arcs where basically every character in their own respective arc have a dream or something they want to accomplish but in the end of the arc the fail to do it but the rest of the friends help that said character to move on or to deal with it and then repeat that formula in every single arc [ Problem happens > Problem get solved > repeat] so much wasted potential. The first half was pretty good.

Sakurasou no pet : The drama in this series was unenjoyable to say the least, problems that could have been handled with just talking were dragged out for the sake of drama, most of the cast try to act as unreasonably as possible to invoke that said drama. It had terrible character development, even though I hate Sorata with all my heart, I would agree that he received adequate development, the same can't be said for the other main characters. Shiina who is just an emotionless type girl was mainly used for fan-service, humor and for some type of new pet fetish. The real problem with her character was that she was sidetracked in the second part of the show to prolong an unnecessary love triangle which the outcome of was painfully obvious as a result she wasn't giving focus, which made her development iffy. She used to only speak mere sentences from time to time but somewhere in the second part, she just bursted into emotions, crying and fully speaking her mind. Which was very awkward and odd, it's felt out of place.

Didn't care much for other characters. Originally feeling like they were okay but aside from Ryounske and Rita, the rest of the relationship in the series felt really awkward and unhealthy.

The anime's theme was supposed to be about reality, hard work and failing or something along those along those lines but it was really unrealistic how high Sorata expectations were or his attitude towards certain characters and situations. The anime also contradicted it's theme and itself and characters in the episode before the finale. Please watch that episode and tell me that's not the most cheesy, cringe worthy, appalling, and unrealistic episode you have ever seen in your entire life.

The first half was much better. But everything felt wrong for me during the second half.

Eureka 7: The characters were quite horrible. Never have I seen a cast full of unlikable characters, it is crazy that every single character aside from Charles, ray and maybe Talho annoyed the shit out of me. Renton who isn't exactly an original character I have seen his character traits before (whiny, irritating, wimpy, weak and annoyingly idealistic) he had adequate development in his character but while I was watching the show it frustrated me how dumb some of his choices were. Those choices involved Eureka to a great degree which is one of the reason as to why I think their relationship was terrible. I don't get why was the cast of characters so unlikable, it's like the anime was going out of it's way to show how much the Gekkostate was full of obnoxious pricks especially Holland who seems to be a spoiled self-centered brat in the body of a grown man. I didn't find his ''development'' believable, not one bit. Normally when you watch an anime with a plot line like ''boy joins a crew and begin an adventure'' you expect the crew to be likable and fun and w/e but the members of that crew were so indifferent and apathetic towards Renton it was quite disgusting especially when Holland was beating Renton and nobody except for Talho gave a flying fuck. Not to forget the three most annoying and unlikable kids you will ever encounter in anime.

The relationship between Renton and Eureka was really cringe worthy. It wasn't believable or properly developed. It was just there, for the convenience of the plot. From the beginning Eureka was mostly indifferent towards Renton except for when it came to the mecha she operated and quite honestly I don't get why was Renton heads over heels for her, it was really cliche for it to be the love on first sight crap. Eureka only cared for Renton

Chihayafuru season 2.

I don't remember why I started Chihayafuru but I remember that I had very low expectations for it since it just didn't look appealing, but it was surprisingly a very enjoyable watch considering it's an anime about a traditional Japanese card game. The best part of the anime and the story as a whole is the beginning of the story when they were kids, I liked that introductory so much, it was really well done and kept me glued to the screen. I liked everything about it, everything seemed fun and interesting but that feeling didn't stay for the rest of the story imo.

The character are decent and likable, it's hard to really dislike one of them. Tachi is especially nicely written. But other than Tachi I feel like the other main characters are not that developed or fleshed out, Chihya character is fairly predictable and her personality is not that original or multidimensional, Arata who is supposed to be one of the main characters has little screen time in the first season, which is one of the reasons I feel like he is not that fleshed out, his kid version was great but his grown up version is not focused on at all. The side character are decent and have adequate development but sometimes I feel like they are wasting time focusing too much on them, it just seems unnecessary at times as a result the story seems like it is dragging out. As a romance fan, I just hate the romance tease in this story, because I know nothing in it will be developed, it's just there and it will probably never have a conclusive ending. I mean it took 100+ chapters for Chihya to realize she is in love with Arata and on that time we just see Tachi suffering with his unrequited love without doing anything about it.

My biggest problem with Chihayafuru is that it's so fucking repetitive, like I said after the introductory arc the fun and enjoyment for me started to decrease little by little, until I reached more than half way in the second season when I realized that nothing huge in terms of development will ever happen. It's repetitive in terms of dialogue, Karuta games, practicing to become better and playing again with the same opponents, having doubts and getting over them and having them again, Tachi suffering, Chihya's obliviousness, the characters constantly reminding us why they love Karuta, etc.

It's sweet and has nice moments where you really feel for the characters and root for them but I honestly don't think it's anything THAT special or good.

Underrated

Yahari SNAFU: It's really good mainly because of the MC. Hachiman is gotta be the best rom/com MC that I ever had the pleasure of watching. He was just amazingly written.

It's manages to execute the common trope cliches of rom/com in such a tasteful manner with a lovely cynic tone, it just points out how terrible the common cliches are. It has well written and witty dialogues and monologues that you will never find in your usual generic rom/com. Other characters are also decent, and their was a good romance build up.

How Japan views the anime: ( I asked symbv)

The biggest complaint is how fast pace they adapt the LN. The anime jumped A LOT OF THINGS in Summer leaving only the summer camp, for example. Other than that it is just personal preference on character and art. General opinion pretty good --I think the MC resonates with a lot of watchers even though sometimes it is so real that they feel uncomfortable.

Gai Rei Zero: Great show, nice OST that fitted the atmosphere of the show, filled with likable cast, multidimensional MC's, incredible action scenes, a well developed relationship between the two main characters, nice sense of mystery, interesting weapon concepts and a great style of storytelling. I feel like it done a lot of things right, so I expected a higher rating.

Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor:
It has a good score but it's not popular looking at the member stats. I feel like a lot of people are passing on this because of the different art. Yes, the noses look weird. At first I was slightly off put by it. But frankly I just gave it a try and it was so engaging and by episode 2 I only gotten used to the art, and frankly it's pretty good. It's also emotional engaging as you keep rooting for Kaiji and feel with him. The meme jokes of ''Kaiji is moe'' have some truth to them.

Thriller is one of my favorite genres but IIRC there is not that common in anime.

SKET Dance
Has a good score but not too popular. I feel like it's overshadowed by Gintama. I personally think it's miles better than Gintama in so many things. For starters it can actually offer more than comedy, and said comedy is a lot more consistent than Gintama (though to be fair it has less episodes) I didn't love it straight away. Funny story I didn't watch it from the beginning, watched a couple of episodes from the start but kinda bored me but since I really like romance. I started watching random episodes that had Bossun x Himeko moments and before I realized it I started to enjoy the anime for more than that. I find myself laughing with all my heart several times, to the point where just some of bossun faces make me laugh uncontrollably.

It's biggest strength is the main trio. They have such great chemistry, development and backstories. All of their backstories made me tear up. And there is a subplot concerning Bossun that just straight up made me cry, and this is when it ended up in my favorites. I love all the VAs as well.

Hal
A relatively unknown movie. I really recommend it. It has more to it than it seems, and has great art and animation. The story is very emotionally driven with nice subtle foreshadowing that is awesome in retrospect. I also loved the clam atmosphere of it and the setting was also nice.I can't believe how emotionally invested I was, even though it's a short movie. The animation and character design were great so was the ending song.

Boku no hero academia
Man, I feel like anime online community, at least in MAL are getting more jaded and negative than ever. So many people can't wait to see the whole show before passing judgements. Words like ''predictable, cliche, generic'' are so overused nowadays it's insane. The mentality is so twisted. It's like nothing should be enjoyed or praised unless it has 100 trope subversion per episode. Many people think they are critical but they are really just using dumb terms without context and as absolute. The world predictable in particular is not bad unless what you think is going to happen is bad itself.

People should just relax and have fun, if you don't find it fun then just drop it. Maybe it's just me because I consumed a lot of media over the years, but I really can't keep watching something unless I enjoy it to a considerable amount.

The show has heart, and it has really good development for a really likeable protagonist that has good qualities that will be shown when the anime goes further on. The only real problem the anime has for me is slow pacing.
tsudecimoApr 26, 2016 2:35 AM
Apr 26, 2016 2:14 AM

Jun 2014
I'll quote a comment I wrote yesterday. In my opinion, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is overrated because of this (although it has some good points):

Sisslith said:
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso felt like a little letdown to me. In my opinion, the first episodes are awesome, but after the middle of the show it goes downhill (except for a pair of nice episodes, such as the last ones).
On the one hand, I think that the OST is really good, along with the OP and ED (mainly the second ones), which are pretty beautiful too. Besides, I've discovered some amazing classical pieces thanks to this anime, like Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso. In addition, I found the art/animation well crafted and up to standard.
On the other hand, I consider that there is too much melodrama displayed. I also didn't enjoy the "comedy", which was mostly out of place, the extremely slow pace, the overreactions of the characters and the plot, which didn't seem solid enough to me and, sometimes, incredible (the hypocrisy around the mother matters, for example).
To be honest, I had high hopes for this show, but it turned out to be a disappointment. However, I have to say that the musical performances were outstanding and, overall, it was a fine watch.

P.S.: there were some very inspiring quotes from the characters about music, which can be applied to life in general. Although Watari was a bundle of nerves and a very typical character, I think that he was the real deal, mostly when talking with Kousei.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Apr 26, 2016 2:17 AM

Oct 2014
I didn't expect this thread to be recreated.

This season pretty much all of the moe anime are underrated. Bakuon is a great moe sports anime despite not having the most interesting characters and they are developing, Haifuri has some of the best character designs (same designer as NNB, so it is to be expected) and some great action; I think it may be even better than Girls und Panzer, and Unhappy is quite an interesting show about some moe internal suffering and mental disorders (all of the main characters have something wrong with them). I still don't get why K-On! and Lucky Star have such high scores when they're not even that good of moe anime.

As for other anime, I believe that Glasslip and Akira are of a similar quality. They both rely on art and have little story to talk about. Their characters are bland and don't develop. One thing that Glasslip did much better than Akira is character designs as all of the characters in Akira look the same with the exception of the aliens which look the same as each other. Akira acts like a dementia anime tricking you into thinking that there is a plot that you just don't understand while Glasslip gets you to think that it's a romcom and the story simply hasn't started yet no matter how far you are into it, both of which are equally evil. In my opinion these should have around the same rating but somehow Akira is praised and even said to be a "must watch anime" while Glasslip is treated like a piece of trash that should only be watch ironically. Glasslip may actually be the better of the two.
Apr 26, 2016 2:20 AM

Jul 2014
zombie_pegasus said:

This season pretty much all of the moe anime are underrated. Bakuon is a great moe sports anime despite not having the most interesting characters and they are developing, Haifuri has some of the best character designs (same designer as NNB, so it is to be expected) and some great action; I think it may be even better than Girls und Panzer, and Unhappy is quite an interesting show about some moe internal suffering and mental disorders (all of the main characters have something wrong with them). I still don't get why K-On! and Lucky Star have such high scores when they're not even that good of moe anime.

And you forgot the best moe anime this season, Flying Witch. It's relaxing, smoothing and actually quite funny. I consider it a spiritual successor to Aria.
Apr 26, 2016 2:38 AM

Mar 2015
Most Overrated

Season 2 of SNAFU. What happened? Edgy teenagers fail to communicate their feelings properly, an issue they struggle with the whole season and it really gets annoying. 99% Student council meeting scenes. No plot progression. Huge change in tone from original season to a melodramatic, edgy tone. I like school drama shows, but not this one. No comedy, no romance either besides genre tags saying so.

Angel Beats. Plot hole at the end ruins emotions intended to bring. It also makes the character of Kanade invalid. Wasn't really invested in the show. Can't grasp the meaningful message behind this show, if it is present. Mostly angsty teenagers fighting against god. Kanade's name has no significance even though it is revealed it means "to play". Does the show really need to have guns? Surprisingly, did not have an issue with underdeveloped side cast.

Most Underrated

-Fullmetal Alchemist 2003. Portrayal of central themes like equivalent exchange done very well. Dark tone to the series was more preferable to me. Homunculi's presentation was very good, especially their backstories. Great music. Ending(excluding Conqueror of Shamballa was one of the best I've seen, especially the final monologue by Alphonse. Not enough talk about this show.

-As of now, Mayoiga. Sure some members of the cast are annoying, but this is likely to intended that you hate them, helps you relate to what the other characters who hate them are feeling (then feel the satisfaction when they die). Tone is done quite well, especially the mysterious aspect of it.

-Ironically, Gintama. Too many people unwilling to watch the series due to long length or slow start. Could do with more viewers.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Apr 26, 2016 2:42 AM

Apr 2014
My recent watch, Black Lagoon was quite overrated.
I do expect a lot out of this anime since I saw a lot of people praised it.
The series is too monotone that keep the same vibe and pattern over and over, it's a one trick phony kind of series, the second season was even worse when they start using children as a plot device to stir some conflict in a show where most of the main cast is a bloodlust money mongrel adult.
The main cast was fine but far from what I would call good.
tr1ckst3rApr 26, 2016 2:48 AM
Apr 26, 2016 2:44 AM

Jul 2015
Although i'm a fan, i would say One Piece is an overrated anime.

- Bad animation
- Very slow pacing
- Stupid filler scenes
- Sometimes cannon events are different from the manga
- It takes like 4-5 minutes to actually start watching the episode

Also, because it takes to long for the story to go on, people are getting bored, and they're not impressed anymore. Plus, many times, One Piece follows the exact same motive.
- Go to an island, which is ruled by a bad guy.
- Befriend with at least one girl and her family/friends
- Seperate the Straw hats, to even at different islands.
- Luffy wins with a nice finishing move, and he screams somethig like "Don't touch my nakama"
- Happy ending for a moment
- Show something "bad" which happened/is going to happen in some other island
- Hype
- Next arc
PokitaruApr 26, 2016 2:51 AM
Apr 26, 2016 2:47 AM

Dec 2012
Forgot about Mayoiga. Very underrated. Many people were already calling it bad before it even aired, and some calling it ''bad writing'' from the first episode. The anime is clearly setting up for things. It's beyond me why anybody would criticize the characters for being underdeveloped based on only 4 episodes with a really big cast of characters. Just another one of those cases of people throwing words without an appropriate context just to criticize something.

People when grouped together while facing fear and the unknown naturally will react irrationally, not to mention that the fact they are going to this village in the first place shows they are not normal in one way or another.

For now it seems to be build up with a relatively mild atmosphere. I think there are two directions the show will go into and both look good to me.

GaryMuffuginOak said:

Angel Beats. Plot hole at the end ruins emotions intended to bring.

What was a plot hole?
Apr 26, 2016 2:51 AM

Mar 2015
tsudecimo said:
Welcome to the NHK.
I feel like the main praise this show gets is because of it's subject matter, not necessarily because how it handled it. And because many people related to the protagonist.

Wrote more on a review
ironicaly i found watamote handling the subject much better and what make it more ironical is they handling it in comedic ways... LMAO...
tsudecimo said:

Underrated

Yahari SNAFU: It's really good mainly because of the MC. Hachiman is gotta be the best rom/com MC that I ever had the pleasure of watching. He was just amazingly written.

It's manages to execute the common trope cliches of rom/com in such a tasteful manner with a lovely cynic tone, it just points out how terrible the common cliches are. It has well written and witty dialogues and monologues that you will never find in your usual generic rom/com. Other characters are also decent, and their was a good romance build up.

How Japan views the anime: ( I asked symbv)

The biggest complaint is how fast pace they adapt the LN. The anime jumped A LOT OF THINGS in Summer leaving only the summer camp, for example. Other than that it is just personal preference on character and art. General opinion pretty good --I think the MC resonates with a lot of watchers even though sometimes it is so real that they feel uncomfortable.
too bad i disagree with this, sure it has interesting MC and unique point of view, but it has no redeeming qualities other than it. hyouka and iris zero is much supperior in this matter in many ways IMHO... what make it worse is 2nd season complitely butcher what make it unique in first place...

most overrated?
suzumiya haruhi. seriously, kyon is single handling this show, other than it, i don't find any prise worthy. surprisingly i found it comedy spinn off much entertaining.

most underrated?

shitcom, it's just too deep for average MAL user...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 26, 2016 3:09 AM

Jul 2015
The only anime I've seen that isn't overrated on MAL imo are: Ghost in the shell from 1995, Gits innocence and Garden of words.

In general users are very generous with their ratings. Technically a 6 and 7/10 represent a good score but anime with rating below 7,5 are almost always quite bad. Below 6 is basically horrible even though it's supposed to be above average, I've hardly seen any anime with a mean score below 5/10.

Anyway OT:

Recently I think Erased, OPM and Boku no hero academia are way overrated.

Erased is good, especially the first half of the show, but the mystery is really lacking. The ending is unsatisfying and rushed (for those who've read the manga). The time loop kills a lot of the suspense as does the obvious foreshadowing. I also don't think the art and animation is very good.

OPM shows that all it takes to win over most MAL users are "cool" fight scenes and, I suppose, a certain brand of humor. Well OPM is a comedy but it only has a singular joke really, and that's repeated in every episode. It wasn't even that funny to begin with. There is barely any plot and, for me at least, it doesn't manage to be over-the-top charming like say Highschool of the dead. At least the animation is nice even if the character designs are more ugly than it is funny.

Boku no hero academia seems to have a lot of post-OPM associations projected on it so I was sceptical going in. Well, I've always thought superhero movies were pretty lame so I might have been biased anyway. First of all the artstyle and animation is quite bad and the sound isn't much better. I don't like a single character so far and, while the typical shounen-style premise is fine, the story has been both uninteresting and predictable. It comes off as some sort of low-effort nickelodeon show. If I were 8 years younger I might have enjoyed this but even then I would have preferred Fullmetal alchemist or Kuroko no basket any day of the week.
BoiiiiiiiiiiApr 26, 2016 3:17 AM
Apr 26, 2016 3:10 AM
Dec 2015
My opinions:
Over Rated:
An anime I still think is slightly overrated is SAO. I liked the whole "stuck in a game that can kill you" idea, but it was just a background plot device in a cliche harem love story. It shouldn't be close to an 8, more around a 6.5 max. Im not even gonna talk about SAO II.

Nanatsu no Taizai
Yes, I'll admit I gave it an 8, but even that is just a little much for it. Maybe a 6.8 at best. To me everything in the story felt to fast and forced. I wont change my 8 because well, I did like it, but just to be honest, it really didn't deserve it.

One Punch Man (I can sense the hate already)
It is funny and pretty good, but it is no where close to being a 9. Its mainly just done in an unappealing way. Him taking out every monster/villain with one punch and no weakness so far is quite a breath of fresh air compared to the "ohh man, this is a tough villain and he is using my weakness against me, so I need to get stronger" heros. Sadly, the story was just unappealing to me. I can understand that its difficult to make a good story when the protagonist and his world are never in any real danger, and that's what kills it for me, is there is no sense of urgency. I would say it sits around a 7.2

Underrated:
You have no clue how hard it was to find a single underrated anime that I have seen, most of mine are overrated, like the examples above. Then some others have a decent rating like Kemono no Souja Erin, Last Exile and Shinsekai Yori. I found one.

Michiko to Hatchin
I feel this deserves a little bit of a higher rating. (In my opinion) The character development was done very well, even for the side characters. The story was pretty interesting and how they portrayed the world was very fitting. One of the main characters may be a little on the, meh, side sometimes but its not enough to knock this down. It should be at least above an 8.5.
Apr 26, 2016 3:30 AM

Mar 2008
-Maz said:
But I suppose I'll join in. Akatsuki no Yona is overrated. It's very typical and generic. Just seems like a somewhat inferior version of Arslan Senkki, although it thankfully doesn't have any awful CGI. Enjoyable and entertaining, but certainly not deserving of an 8+ score, IMO.

I feel like that comparison is somewhat superficial. Sure, both feature a similar set-up: young and naïve ousted royals, and a band of key companions in a fantasy-historical setting. But in practice they've both been rather different stories so far as the anime go.

Arslan Senki has been a traditional epic-war-fantasy. While it has had its share of adventures, the scale is larger, but it centres much on Arslan's growth as a leader.

On the other-hand, Akatsuki no Yona has leaned on the adventure-romantic side. Events have been far smaller scale - focused on the character relationships and gathering of ally-friends around Yona.

That said, I'd agree that Yona's not all that impressive when compared with adventure/fantasy stories of its like, but as far as anime go, it's quite solid.
Apr 26, 2016 3:34 AM

Mar 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
As for other anime, I believe that Glasslip and Akira are of a similar quality. They both rely on art and have little story to talk about. Their characters are bland and don't develop. One thing that Glasslip did much better than Akira is character designs as all of the characters in Akira look the same with the exception of the aliens which look the same as each other. Akira acts like a dementia anime tricking you into thinking that there is a plot that you just don't understand while Glasslip gets you to think that it's a romcom and the story simply hasn't started yet no matter how far you are into it, both of which are equally evil. In my opinion these should have around the same rating but somehow Akira is praised and even said to be a "must watch anime" while Glasslip is treated like a piece of trash that should only be watch ironically. Glasslip may actually be the better of the two.
did you just what?
i would agreed that akira is overrated if we talking about story.. but saying it visual quality is same like glasslip is kinda illogical. glasslip only has stunning clear art style and that's it. it doesn't reallyt have sakuga or something, i feel the animation even kinda lazy at times which has no speciality at times it made... compare to akira, it has soo much detail art style and soo many sakuga animation that overstandout in their era.. it's pinnacle of animation in their respective era when glasslip has nothing to offer... sure you can't expect much in story... it's cramping 4 volume from original source that rarely make sanse to begin with... not like saying original source is supperior. the ending is just pure asspull that come out outa nowhere.... but glasslip is original shows thats has no excuse incocistency plot and unclear ending because it's supposed to designed in a cour shows...
KumaApr 26, 2016 3:41 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 26, 2016 3:39 AM

Mar 2014
Yey, this thread is back!

Let's talk about the most overrated and the most underrated Evangelion rebuilds, since I finished watching the last rebuild in the series yesterday

Overrated – Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance

They took a great mind toggling psychological anime and turned it into a harem ecchi bullshit mecha. Shinji is nothing but a shell of his former self and has turned into a bland shounen harem lord ("I wonder who of my love interests can cook better?", Asuka is just a generic violent tsundere, Rei is a retarded kuudere and Mari Makinami Illustrious (seriously, WFT is up with that name) is an annoying bimbo who's just there for the sake of fanservice. Why was this rated 8.58 again?

Underrated – Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo

A lot of people say that this is not only the worst movie in the whole rebuild tetralogy so far, but the worst entry in the whole Evangelion franchise. I say, BULLSHIT! You Can (Not) Redo is not only the best rebuild, it's also better than the TV series and EoE! Studio Khara and Hideaki Anno could have chosen to keep going on the harem wish fulfillment route that was staked out by You Can (Not) Advance but instead they decided to fuck with our minds just like he fucked with the audience's minds back in 1997 when EoE came out. However, this time, less people managed to catch Anno's drift and instead they got mad because they felt "betrayed" and "confused" and "nothing makes sense". You're missing the point! It IS supposed to be confusing and nonsensical. You people really need to learn to appreciate masterful trolling better. 7.71 is way too low of a mean score, it deserves a 8.90. AT LEAST. And, most importantly, it deserves more recognition than Evangelion: 2.0

And yes there are other anime that I find over/underrated but I'm too lazy to talk about them right now
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 26, 2016 3:40 AM

Apr 2015
Yeah! First page!
Anonalypse said:
Another is one of the most overrated anime, there was no character development at all. One plot twist was revealed early on, and nothing actually happened until the final episode.

Seriously? How can you not laugh watching all of those deaths? It's the best gore porn and parody of Final Destination m8
TyrelApr 26, 2016 3:56 AM
Apr 26, 2016 3:42 AM

Sep 2015
@Ckan - the similar premise branching out in different ways is precisely why I personally feel like it's a somewhat inferior version. I just personally prefer epic-war fantasy style stories. That's not to say I personally think Yona is bad; it's just my preference.
But my initial comparison is due to the incredibly simlar premise of royalty being ousted because their parents were actually terrible rulers, forcing the immature MCs to come to terms with the real world and struggle to grow up quickly. Outside of that yeah, there's not too much similarity.

Although in terms of second seasons, I think Yona has the biggest room to improve since they've now laid all the foundations with the events of the first season. Arslan is already completely underway by the end of the first season; Yona has only just finished her initial mission given pretty much right at the start.

But then that's another reason why I was surprised at Yona's rating. Comparisons to Arslan aside, Yona's season was basically just setting up the entire story. I've not read the manga but most people I've spoken to said the bits after the anime ending are substantially better because that's where it starts to pick up.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 26, 2016 3:45 AM

Nov 2013
aqing0601 said:
zombie_pegasus said:

And you forgot the best moe anime this season, Flying Witch. It's relaxing, smoothing and actually quite funny. I consider it a spiritual successor to Aria.

I wouldn't call Flying Witch "moe". It's definately not the main appeal of the series, which is more of a pure SoL experience with a very laid back tone and moderately silly characters, which don't try too hard to sell their moe appeal.

This season's proper moe title is Sansha Sanyou, which is all about making sure that you find its characters adorable and cute.

tsudecimo said:
Forgot about Mayoiga. Very underrated. Many people were already calling it bad before it even aired, and some calling it ''bad writing'' from the first episode. The anime is clearly setting up for things. It's beyond me why anybody would criticize the characters for being underdeveloped based on only 4 episodes with a really big cast of characters. Just another one of those cases of people throwing words without an appropriate context just to criticize something.

People when grouped together while facing fear and the unknown naturally will react irrationally, not to mention that the fact they are going to this village in the first place shows they are not normal in one way or another.

For now it seems to be build up with a relatively mild atmosphere. I think there are two directions the show will go into and both look good to me.

Mayoiga is probably my favorite title this season, but I've got a completely different perspective on it.
I love the characters' complete insanity and I think that most of the plot developments are hilarious. I won't say that I'm enjoying it ironically, because I think that the staff is in on the joke, but I can definately understand people's complaints, if they went into it expecting a completely serious thriller, instead of a silly and wild ride.

...Or at least that's what I would have said before ep4, which set up some legitimately interesting developments and had some genuinely thrilling scenes... but it eventually turned into pure silliness, towards the end.
Apr 26, 2016 3:47 AM

Jul 2014
Shigofumi is underrated.

It's an episodic psychological thriller, and does a good job at being one. It's about mail carriers that carry letters from the dead to the living. Words that the dead couldn't speak while being alive; honest words. At first, you might get the impression that this will be some forced drama about people crying from getting messages from dead people, and finally hearing the words that longed to hear while that person was alive, but that's hardly the case. It's about how those letters could affect their lives forever, for better or worse. It's about if they even want to read the letter, because they already have forgotten their pasts. It focuses and handle that aspect in a great way. Sometimes, It also focus on why did those dead people even decided to sent letters in the first place. You also follow people before dying, and get to know their reason to send a certain someone a letter. And I think that these episodes are the best the show has to offer. Most notably episode 10. The OST is nice, and the OP is catchy. The art and animation aren't really something, but it fits the atmosphere of the show.

Of course, no show is perfect. Shigofumi has two notable problems: A small arc in the middle parts, and the ending. The small arc in the middle goes in-depth on our main character's (The mail carrier) past, and tries to explore and conclude some unresolved matters, which, unfortunately, fails. And When I say fails, I don't mean that arc failed with resolving the matters, but that was out of place and poorly handled. It also brought to light a few questions which aren't answered and what you would call a plot hole. It should have been entirely cut out. Now to the ending. Fortunately, it's not as bad the previous problem, but it was a bit anti-climatic, and some parts could've handled better. Not to mention, watching the OVA becomes a necessity, since it provide more of a proper closure.

That said, the show's merits definitely outweighs its flaws. Despite having two problems, they don't really hold a candle to the best moments of the show. As episode 10 completely overshadows the middle arc, which is the show's weakest point.

Finally, Shigofumi is a wonderful psychological thriller, it has its ups and downs, ups being more. it starts with an interesting theme and tries to make the most out of it within the time limit, and ends up doing a good job at doing so. So, yeah, it should be over 8.00
Apr 26, 2016 3:50 AM

Mar 2016
@You

The crappy adaptation called Rosario Vampire was more watchable for me. Good lord I hate it when an anime decides to play the "we're all sentient but we're different species so we don't try to understand each other" card. Pisses me off immensely. I count Tokyo Ghoul's manga as an exception because I at least liked the plot progression and the edginess.

Same issue with Parasyte now that I think about it.
Apr 26, 2016 3:51 AM

Mar 2012
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha is massively underrated. There are literally no harem that can even compare to it. How it integrate all character and connect it to one another is simply amazing without making any of them stand out more than other. Even in the arc that focus on one girl the other also developed nicely. The multiversal plot along with complex character backstory add the spice to the series. But the most important thing of all is that this is the most loving and sweet harem that I've ever encountered. Too bad really that the anime ended literally when the question that have been build up through the series about to be answered.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 26, 2016 3:52 AM

Oct 2015
Well people may hate me for this but I think a lot of Jump animes are very highly overated. not to say they aren't good but they often have slapstick humour and childish plots which I just don't think should take such fame over something artistic and meaningful that took much longer to make like Madoka Magica and Akira! Seriously! Why do people not know about these but they know about naruto or avatar?! Avatar isn't even technically an anime! I'm not sure I can say much for underated anime coz I am only just getting into forums and finding out about what is popular and such but I find Card Captors is a pretty decent magical girl anime for once and no-one seems to pay it any mind as such so I will say that one. well that's my 2 cents :3
Apr 26, 2016 3:55 AM

Apr 2015
TheDeadApostle said:
@You

The crappy adaptation called Rosario Vampire was more watchable for me. Good lord I hate it when an anime decides to play the "we're all sentient but we're different species so we don't try to understand each other" card. Pisses me off immensely. I count Tokyo Ghoul's manga as an exception because I at least liked the plot progression and the edginess.

Well I always like on how 2 group of people with grey vs grey morality fight each other rather than black vs white.
Apr 26, 2016 3:56 AM

Mar 2016
Arslan senki is underrated imo not because of it's rating on mal mainly , but also because i think it's overshadowed by akatsuki no Yona which many see as better . Not trying to create an X vs Y here . Actually I like AnY . Imo arslan senki is a very interesting story based on the novel it's taken from , and the MC (the prince Arslan )though not powerful or OP as many would love but at least gives credit to his companions whenever he gets the chance and treats them as friends not tools . And we see his resolve becomes stronger as the series advance . There isn't anyone in Arslan's group who I disliked from the mighty daryuun to the graceful farangis to the womanizer gieve :p
Apr 26, 2016 3:57 AM

Nov 2011
Ajin is so underrated. People didn't bother giving it a chance just because its full CGI but its one of my favorite anime from last season and last season was full of shit. At first it look like Tokyo Ghoul v2 but its quite different.

Apr 26, 2016 3:58 AM

Jul 2013
First of all, overrated and underrated is something subjective, so this is based in my humnle opinion and it's no an absolute truth.

Overrated:

-Erased. It wasn't bad at first, in fact, the cliffhangers were really entertaining and always left me waiting for the next episode. However, the mystery was lacking (the identity of the killer was obvious since the third episode), the way they handle the character of Kayo was bad (they based all her character in her abuse, rather than in any other aspects of her life, making her looks like a plot device rather than a proper character), Airi was left behind in middle of the series, and the final two episodes were terrible.
Also, things like what the Revival is are left unexplained, making the thing looks like an asspull that the MC has because reasons.

I also don't understand how this could get so far in the MAL ranking, because even if the series would have ended well, it wasn't something new or original. It should have been ranked in the TOP 200 at best. But everyone has their likings, so...

-Nanatsu no Taizai: I liked the anime, had loveable characters and it was decent, but I don't see anything new with this. Is just like Fairy Tail without nakama power (because the main characters are pretty overpowered themselves and they don't need that) with fanservice, a more medievalesque setting and a simple plot. The pacing was also rushed and some events happened too fast to enjoy them.

At the end, it's your typical shonen and nothing more. I find Naruto and Bleach better in plot and characters, though the fact they have a lot of filler may have something to do in their ranking.

I would mention other animes in MAL's TOP 1000 like Guilty Crown or Mahouka, but they are ranked more or less low compared to other series (they still deserve a lower rank, but that's another matter).

Underrated:

-Blood+: I can see why the series wouldn't be liked by some people, since the animation is old and sloppy some times, and the pacing is slow, who can make the most impatient ones give up with this. However, the characters developed well and are really well done, the OST is really good and I think the ending was perfect. If the anime would have aired today, with better animation, I think it would have a higher score. I can still see why people can dislike this, but well, it's my opinion after all.

-Ushio to Tora: I know it's nothing new or innovating, as the series it's an old shounen with all the cliches and tropes of the shounens of the time, but it's still enjoyable and funny. If Nanatsu no Taizai is in the TOP 200 of MAL, I can't understand why this is not even in the TOP 900.

Just my humble opinion, again. Don't salt too much, guys.
Apr 26, 2016 3:58 AM

Mar 2008
-Maz said:
@Ckan - the similar premise branching out in different ways is precisely why I personally feel like it's a somewhat inferior version. I just personally prefer epic-war fantasy style stories. That's not to say I personally think Yona is bad; it's just my preference.
But my initial comparison is due to the incredibly simlar premise of royalty being ousted because their parents were actually terrible rulers, forcing the immature MCs to come to terms with the real world and struggle to grow up quickly. Outside of that yeah, there's not too much similarity.

Although in terms of second seasons, I think Yona has the biggest room to improve since they've now laid all the foundations with the events of the first season. Arslan is already completely underway by the end of the first season; Yona has only just finished her initial mission given pretty much right at the start.

But then that's another reason why I was surprised at Yona's rating. Comparisons to Arslan aside, Yona's season was basically just setting up the entire story. I've not read the manga but most people I've spoken to said the bits after the anime ending are substantially better because that's where it starts to pick up.

I suppose Yona's higher rating might come down to it having a wider appeal. Yona's companions are fewer, but more fleshed out, I think. The adventure is largely linear, and the fugitive-adventure aspect is a very acceptable framework.

But Arslan's war focus can both win it fans - and easily lose them. The battle-centric parts may shy away some to begin with, and I think it stirred up some controversy with its 'magical' element. Wars being more taxing to animate then brings up a visual issue - the CGI as you mentioned obviously pales in comparison with the many similar real-life epics battles or even computer games that viewers are likely familiar with.
And with all the epic-style historical events going on, I think it leaves viewers comparably less intimate with Arslan's cast.

I definitely feel that Yona's only just gotten started, whereas Arslan, while similarly only being partway through its epic, feels as if it's already showed most of its hand.

I'll confess that I'm somewhat biased against Arakawa's rendition of Arslan Senki though. I think it fails to rouse an epicness befitting of its source material.
CkanApr 26, 2016 4:03 AM
Apr 26, 2016 4:00 AM

Sep 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Yey, this thread is back!

Let's talk about the most overrated and the most underrated Evangelion rebuilds, since I finished watching the last rebuild in the series yesterday

Overrated – Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance

They took a great mind toggling psychological anime and turned it into a harem ecchi bullshit mecha. Shinji is nothing but a shell of his former self and has turned into a bland shounen harem lord ("I wonder who of my love interests can cook better?", Asuka is just a generic violent tsundere, Rei is a retarded kuudere and Mari Makinami Illustrious (seriously, WFT is up with that name) is an annoying bimbo who's just there for the sake of fanservice. Why was this rated 8.58 again?

Underrated – Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo

A lot of people say that this is not only the worst movie in the whole rebuild tetralogy so far, but the worst entry in the whole Evangelion franchise. I say, BULLSHIT! You Can (Not) Redo is not only the best rebuild, it's also better than the TV series and EoE! Studio Khara and Hideaki Anno could have chosen to keep going on the harem wish fulfillment route that was staked out by You Can (Not) Advance but instead they decided to fuck with our minds just like he fucked with the audience's minds back in 1997 when EoE came out. However, this time, less people managed to catch Anno's drift and instead they got mad because they felt "betrayed" and "confused" and "nothing makes sense". You're missing the point! It IS supposed to be confusing and nonsensical. You people really need to learn to appreciate masterful trolling better. 7.71 is way too low of a mean score, it deserves a 8.90. AT LEAST. And, most importantly, it deserves more recognition than Evangelion: 2.0

And yes there are other anime that I find over/underrated but I'm too lazy to talk about them right now

Agreed with the second half of your post. But most of the hate for the third rebuild comes from fans of the original who were disappointed at the big change.

As for me, I think Shinsekai Yori should get a little more credit than it does. It had a nice story and near perfect execution especially the antagonist.

The movie Colorful is also heavily underrated. It was nicely done with a good plot and characters were handled well.

Also imo Cowboy Bebop is overrated. It was good and enjoyable but wasn't exactly great. Spike and Vicious were nice though.

Also Spirited Away is also a bit overrated. It certainly isn't the best Studio Ghibli movie.
Apr 26, 2016 4:00 AM

Jul 2014
HQ!! is severely overrated.

Piss poor drama and bad, slap-stick humour that misses more than it hits. Characters have next to 0 depth to them and are just usual tropes with no twists - bad ones while I'm at it. Pseudo supernatural abilities are thrown in as well which just detaches me from matches as I know that a certain someone has unlimited stamina and can run around the pitch without ever stopping.

And mother of God the dialogue made my cringes, cringe.
"Hi!"
Apr 26, 2016 4:04 AM

Mar 2015
Anonalypse said:

The plot hole was the reveal that Otonashi gave Kanade her heart. He died, gave his heart, then Kanade died. He should've appeared in the afterlife before Kanade not after. Kanade should not exist.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

Apr 26, 2016 4:05 AM

Mar 2015
tsudecimo said:

GaryMuffuginOak said:

Angel Beats. Plot hole at the end ruins emotions intended to bring.

What was a plot hole?

The plot hole was the reveal that Otonashi gave Kanade her heart. He died, gave his heart, then Kanade died. He should've appeared in the afterlife before Kanade not after. Kanade should not exist.

Apr 26, 2016 4:08 AM

Mar 2012
GaryMuffuginOak said:
Anonalypse said:

Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 26, 2016 4:09 AM

Mar 2016
You said:
TheDeadApostle said:
@You

Well I always like on how 2 group of people with grey vs grey morality fight each other rather than black vs white.

Grey morality isn't my issue with it. My problem comes from how both sides see themselves as justified in their paths/actions to the point where anything which happens to them is seen by themselves as unfair. I'm actually a hedonist so I thought I'd appreciate how both sides were shown in a sympathetic light. However, I also strongly believe in accepting the consequences of one's actions. If you kill people to survive then I can understand. What I don't understand is when a vampire starts whining because he thinks the world's against him. It's a natural that if you kill then you should expect to be killed in return at the very least. That's just how reality works.
Apr 26, 2016 4:10 AM

Nov 2013
S;G is pretty overrated. I mean it's not horrible, and I pretty much liked it. I didn't have any problems with any supposed slow start either. But the show was far from perfect like many claim it to be. For instance there were some issues with almost non existing butterfly effects at times.

I found Girlfriend (Kari) to be pretty underrated. I mean yes ok, it's not your average masterpiece, but a 6.04 it has on MAL currently is just too low. Surely the animation/amount of details is sub par. But it's a healing type anime and I refuse to say it fails at that.
Apr 26, 2016 4:13 AM

Apr 2015
TheDeadApostle said:
You said:

Grey morality isn't my issue with it. My problem comes from how both sides see themselves as justified in their paths/actions to the point where anything which happens to them is seen by themselves as unfair. I'm actually a hedonist so I thought I'd appreciate how both sides were shown in a sympathetic light. However, I also strongly believe in accepting the consequences of one's actions. If you kill people to survive then I can understand. What I don't understand is when a vampire starts whining because he thinks the world's against him. It's a natural that if you kill then you should expect to be killed in return at the very least. That's just how reality works.

Death is scary. I think she is just fear of dying, which is pretty normal since even a human serial killer can have this traits.
Apr 26, 2016 4:13 AM

Dec 2012
Anonalypse said:

Angel Beats spoilers

Angel Beats spoilers
Apr 26, 2016 4:14 AM

Mar 2015
NeoAnkara said:
GaryMuffuginOak said:

I think I heard that somewhere. Still, if the audience is too busy contemplating the plot hole the sad ending's impact is not paid any attention to. Funny how most of the goodbyes are so instant it's like people logging off on online chats. "I'm gonna go bye guys" Player has exited the chat room

Apr 26, 2016 4:16 AM

Mar 2015
tsudecimo said:
Anonalypse said:

Angel Beats spoilers

Angel Beats spoilers

Did she live in a different era? Her ninja stuff was just a quirk played off for comedy.

Oct 2015
Illyricus said:
First of all, overrated and underrated is something subjective, so this is based in my humnle opinion and it's no an absolute truth.

Overrated:

-Erased. It wasn't bad at first, in fact, the cliffhangers were really entertaining and always left me waiting for the next episode. However, the mystery was lacking (the identity of the killer was obvious since the third episode), the way they handle the character of Kayo was bad (they based all her character in her abuse, rather than in any other aspects of her life, making her looks like a plot device rather than a proper character), Airi was left behind in middle of the series, and the final two episodes were terrible.
Also, things like what the Revival is are left unexplained, making the thing looks like an asspull that the MC has because reasons.

I also don't understand how this could get so far in the MAL ranking, because even if the series would have ended well, it wasn't something new or original. It should have been ranked in the TOP 200 at best. But everyone has their likings, so...

-Nanatsu no Taizai: I liked the anime, had loveable characters and it was decent, but I don't see anything new with this. Is just like Fairy Tail without nakama power (because the main characters are pretty overpowered themselves and they don't need that) with fanservice, a more medievalesque setting and a simple plot. The pacing was also rushed and some events happened too fast to enjoy them.

At the end, it's your typical shonen and nothing more. I find Naruto and Bleach better in plot and characters, though the fact they have a lot of filler may have something to do in their ranking.

I would mention other animes in MAL's TOP 1000 like Guilty Crown or Mahouka, but they are ranked more or less low compared to other series (they still deserve a lower rank, but that's another matter).

Underrated:

-Blood+: I can see why the series wouldn't be liked by some people, since the animation is old and sloppy some times, and the pacing is slow, who can make the most impatient ones give up with this. However, the characters developed well and are really well done, the OST is really good and I think the ending was perfect. If the anime would have aired today, with better animation, I think it would have a higher score. I can still see why people can dislike this, but well, it's my opinion after all.

-Ushio to Tora: I know it's nothing new or innovating, as the series it's an old shounen with all the cliches and tropes of the shounens of the time, but it's still enjoyable and funny. If Nanatsu no Taizai is in the TOP 200 of MAL, I can't understand why this is not even in the TOP 900.

Just my humble opinion, again. Don't salt too much, guys.

I believe the second season of ushio and tora will get a higher rating since its going to have the final clash and a better plot progressing and my god the plot progression so far in the second season is good. I did enjoy the first season but there were some sub plots that felt a lil bit boring and the narrative was stretched kind of reminded me of higurashi's first and second season with the necessity of giving a clear slow narrative choice in the first season then going all out in the second one. hopefully the pay off is as good as higurashi's.

Mar 2016
GaryMuffuginOak said:

-As of now, Mayoiga. Sure some members of the cast are annoying, but this is likely to intended that you hate them, helps you relate to what the other characters who hate them are feeling (then feel the satisfaction when they die). Tone is done quite well, especially the mysterious aspect of it.

Agreed . I think also the way the characters interact in mayoiga is intended . After all they're weirdos with serious issues . I think the mystery is more important here in this show than the characters ...
Apr 26, 2016 4:18 AM

Mar 2015
AutisAwsome said:
Well people may hate me for this but I think a lot of Jump animes are very highly overated. not to say they aren't good but they often have slapstick humour and childish plots which I just don't think should take such fame over something artistic and meaningful that took much longer to make like Madoka Magica and Akira! Seriously! Why do people not know about these but they know about naruto or avatar?! Avatar isn't even technically an anime! I'm not sure I can say much for underated anime coz I am only just getting into forums and finding out about what is popular and such but I find Card Captors is a pretty decent magical girl anime for once and no-one seems to pay it any mind as such so I will say that one. well that's my 2 cents :3
if you talking about WSJ, sure it's childish because it's most friendly magazine for teenagers with soo many cencorship and they are mostly designed that way. even like that, there is still some really gritty stuff like death note. but if jump it self, even tokyo ghoul, gantz, or elfen lied is jump...
Apr 26, 2016 4:19 AM

Dec 2012
GaryMuffuginOak said:
tsudecimo said:

Angel Beats spoilers

Did she live in a different era? Her ninja stuff was just a quirk played off for comedy.

Apr 26, 2016 4:19 AM

Nov 2013
GaryMuffuginOak said:
tsudecimo said:

Angel Beats spoilers

Nope,

There have been a lot of hints towards the fact that the afterlife isn't directly related to our timeline. I'm not sure I'd call it a "canon" explaination, but I think it will probably be confirmed in the Visual Novel.
The AB afterlife probably works like the Throne of Heroes in Fate Stay Night.
Apr 26, 2016 4:20 AM

Jul 2015
It has to be Steins;Gate. I don't know how it became that popular. The story is your standard time loop with nothing new, the characters are a bunch of cringey tropes taken from a -dere list image, the ways the black and genderfluid characters are treated is totally offensive, and the animation is nothing to write home about.

Rahxephon also gets an honorable mention in the mecha category. Don't have the budget to animate your mechas? Tell viewers they're statues, make'em glide in the air with no animation whatsoever and spend your money on adding new harem grills.

As for underrated, I'd say Kemonozume. Not sure why everybody hate that one, it has a cool adult romance, mechas, and the usual Yuasaa's art style. Plus it has a great opening.
Apr 26, 2016 4:22 AM

Mar 2016
Somebody tell me why Texhnolyze isn't overrated.

Well I suppose "overrated" might not be accurate since it isn't actually rated so high but it's extremely well regarded by the few who claim to understand it.

Clebardman said:

Rahxephon also gets an honorable mention in the mecha category. Don't have the budget to animate your mechas? Tell viewers they're statues, make'em glide in the air with no animation whatsoever and spend your money on adding new harem grills.

I haven't watched that show but from what I hear, Eva-lovers are harsh on it. I also heard that the mecha's aren't the point of the show so maybe you're a bit too harsh?

But whatever. I probably don't even know what I'm saying.
OduduwaApr 26, 2016 4:30 AM
Apr 26, 2016 4:24 AM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
GaryMuffuginOak said:

Not that I've read it but there are Angel Beats Track Zero novel(or is it Heaven Doors manga?) detailing what they are doing before become SSS. I think I heard somewhere that Shiina already on the guild place before anyone.
Apr 26, 2016 4:24 AM

Apr 2015
Underrated: Inferno Cop
reasons: Oh cmon how can you just find that this show was funny? it deserves on the top 100 IMO. Being less than an hour with all of that parody and batshitness and one-frame animation, it's just a great ride!

Overrated: End of Evangelion
reasons:
Apr 26, 2016 4:25 AM

Nov 2015
Overrated

Shiki: This show has an 8.02 on this site right now and it's probably the worst show I've ever watched. Ridiculously boring, art is ugly af, music stinks, no character development and worst of all is that the characters do dumb shit all the time. I hate this show with a passion so I'm trying to contain myself lol an 8 is WAAAAAAAAAAY too high for this garbage.

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi/Erased: Show is ranked #25 (was top 10 at one point) and it's clearly average at best. Let's be serious here this show thinks it's audience is dumb. Literally beats you over the head with it's messaging and themes. Characters try and say some kind of 'deep' stuff that just comes off as ridiculous at times and suspends disbelief. I enjoyed it but let's be real it shouldn't be that high up.

Underrated

K-On!: On this site it has a 7.88 which isn't bad but just by talking to people it seems like most just don't get it. This show is so much more than "cute girls doing cute things" or "moe blobs with a quirky hobby." Really is a great show with great character development that hits on all aspects. You will laugh... you will cry. When you look back on the show you will realize just how much the characters have grown and why it is so special.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Second Season: Everybody hates on the Endless 8 and it's obvious why. In it's premise it's just the same episode 8 times shot in slightly different ways and with very little changes otherwise. So why is it underrated? Because this is a great setup to the movie and also a pretty original idea in general. Without delving too far into spoiler territory let's just say that watching those episodes really put you into the mindset of what Yuki must have been feeling like on a minor scale. Not too many shows really mess with your brain in this sense lol. I also feel like it is just important to go through it just to say you did it... idk... maybe that's just me lol
Pages (85) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 1 hour ago

11 by Zimmu »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 2 hours ago

7 by velveteenvamp »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Vinland Saga do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 3 hours ago

18 by Darion_Phoenix »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

9 by Piromysl »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

52 by Nemo_Niemand »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.